Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Joni

RE: Worldwide Press Freedom Index 2006: USA At Rank 53

Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:50 am

Quoting DLPMMM (Reply 98):

Thank you for proving my point Joni. Those were not studies that you linked, but left wing opnion pieces written over the last 3 years and published by "progressive" media groups.

Did you read the book already? And you do have a peculiar definition of "opinion piece" - apparently for you, everything that isn't published by the AEI or PNAC is a "left-wing opinion piece" that can safely be dismissed as such.

I'm not entirely clear on what your contribution to this thread has been. So far you've mostly limited yourself to name-calling and circular arguments ("If the critiques of mainstream US media weren't picked up by the mainstream US media, they must be useless" (Reply 95)).

But it's good that you've taken an interest in media issues now, be sure to not limit it to watching Fox and NYT.

Quoting DLPMMM (Reply 98):

Please notice that these "progressives" have complete freedom to publish anything they like in the USA without regard to their truthfulness.

We've been through this already. (Reply 94)

ME AVN FAN

Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:14 am

Quoting Sabenaboy (Thread starter):
the USA are now ranked 53

amazing list:
53 Botswana 13,00
- Croatia 13,00
- Tonga 13,00
- United States of America 13,00
57 Uruguay 13,75
58 Fiji 14,00
- Hong-Kong 14,00
- Poland 14,00
- Romania 14,00
62 Central African Republic 14,50
- Cyprus (North) 14,50
- Guinea-Bissau 14,50
- Honduras 14,50
66 Madagascar 15,00
- Togo 15,00
68 Ecuador 15,25
69 Nicaragua 15,50
70 Burkina Faso 16,00
- Kosovo 16,00
- Lesotho 16,00
73 Congo 17,00
-
So that the USA still is above countries like the Central African Republic, Togo and Burkina Faso ! Impressive !  wave 
-
but seriously, I would NOT overvalue such statistics, as everything in such lists depends on a variety of criteria ....................
-

DLPMMM

Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:08 am

Quoting Joni (Reply 100):
And you do have a peculiar definition of "opinion piece" -

You are hillarious Joni.

Obviously you do not know the difference, as you seem to think "commondreams.org", "mediamouse.org", and "evatt.labor.net.au" are unbiased research organizations.

Amazing!!

I am also not sure what your problem with the NY Times is, as they are one of the most liberal newspapers in the USA.

If you think that the NY Times is conservative, it only shows how out of touch with reality you are.

BigOrange

Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:59 am

What happened to the "freedom of speech"-principle the USA once had? Who is to blame for this bad ranking?

Relations between the media and the Bush administration sharply deteriorated after the president used the pretext of "national security" to regard as suspicious any journalist who questioned his "war on terrorism."

Your answer is right there in the text you quoted!

Dougloid

Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:51 am

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 101):
So that the USA still is above countries like the Central African Republic, Togo and Burkina Faso ! Impressive !
-
but seriously, I would NOT overvalue such statistics, as everything in such lists depends on a variety of criteria ....................

Like, if people in a country are largely illiterate what in the hell does 'freedom of the press' mean anyway in substantive terms???

Again, AVN, take a read at the original poster's site. Go through the 'metrics' these folks use to reach their pre-fabricated 'conclusions' and ask yourself: If there's no people and no media, ergo, there is perfect freedom.

Then have yourself a good laugh and find something entertaining to do besides finding reasons to dump on the US....why, if you stick around we'll cook up some real genuine humdingers and not manufactured bullshit like this piece.

Wink  Wink  Wink  Wink
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

Joni

Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:46 pm

Quoting DLPMMM (Reply 102):

Obviously you do not know the difference, as you seem to think "commondreams.org", "mediamouse.org", and "evatt.labor.net.au" are unbiased research organizations.

Did you read the documents, or did you dismiss them as pinko trash based on the domain names? And as stated previously on this thread (!) freedom of the press is specifically a political goal. Anyhow those were just the first docs that popped up in google, I encourage you to do your own reading and, in particular, read the book I mentioned.

I am also not sure what your problem with the NY Times is, as they are one of the most liberal newspapers in the USA.

If you think that the NY Times is conservative, it only shows how out of touch with reality you are.

The fact that NYT is the most "liberal" newspaper makes it a good example of US mainstram media (MSM) as a whole. If it's demonstrated it has a right-wing/patriotic bias (as it has) it automatically implies the rest of the MSM may suffer similar bias.

DLPMMM

Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:04 pm

Quoting Joni (Reply 105):
Did you read the documents, or did you dismiss them as pinko trash based on the domain names? And as stated previously on this thread (!) freedom of the press is specifically a political goal. Anyhow those were just the first docs that popped up in google, I encourage you to do your own reading and, in particular, read the book I mentioned.

You told me you read "analyses", I suspected you were lying and asked what "analyses you read, then you linked three radical left wing opnion pieces that you now admit that you just Googled.

You lost all credibility when you caught lying Joni.

I don't need to read Chomsky's book, as I heard him speak on television. He is a complete idiot. If you think he is intelligent in any way, that is your problem.

Quoting Joni (Reply 105):
The fact that NYT is the most "liberal" newspaper makes it a good example of US mainstram media (MSM) as a whole. If it's demonstrated it has a right-wing/patriotic bias (as it has) it automatically implies the rest of the MSM may suffer similar bias.

I did not say "the most Liberal", I said "one of the most liberal"

You have only demonstrated that your "sources" and opnions are soooooo far to the left as to be off the scale.

So now we have determined that you are far to the left of the NY Times and you will lie in order to try to "win" an argument.

I would rather speak the truth and have people disagree with me, than lie in order to make people think like me. The same is obviously not true for you.

You are not even worth discussing issues with.

Dougloid

Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:09 pm

I don't need to read Chomsky's book, as I heard him speak on television. He is a complete idiot. If you think he is intelligent in any way, that is your problem.[/quote]

How do you tell the clown at the circus? It's how they're dressed.

How do you tell the left wing nut job in the crowd? I

t's because they ditched their Quotations from Chaiman Mao red books for screeds from Noam Chomsky.

Qb001

Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:15 pm

The USA is now, unfortunately, a country where you are fired for showing that you disagree with GWB.
http://www.kingcountyjournal.com/app...ticle?AID=/20061030/NEWS/610300307
Never let the facts get in the way of a good theory.

DLPMMM

Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:26 pm

Quoting QB001 (Reply 108):
The USA is now, unfortunately, a country where you are fired for showing that you disagree with GWB.

And what does this have top do with freedom of the press?

Marco

Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:21 am

Breaking news....

Belgium number one for an over taxed, bitter, depressed, ageing population with social ills like growing Islamic radicals in Moroccan ghettos. Replace Belgium with France if you want as well.

BTW I'm against Bush as well, but all you do is attack the USA. Get over your complex man. It's really not that bad.
Proud to be an Assyrian!

Qb001

Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:22 am

Quoting DLPMMM (Reply 109):
And what does this have top do with freedom of the press?

Simply because I believe freedom of speech and freedom of the press are very closely related.

I cannot fathom the idea that you can have one but not the other. If freedom of expression is impaired, as the firing of this school bus driver suggests, then I believe that the freedom of the press is in serious trouble.
Never let the facts get in the way of a good theory.

Joni

RE: Worldwide Press Freedom Index 2006: USA At Ran

Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:27 am

Quoting DLPMMM (Reply 106):
You told me you read "analyses", I suspected you were lying and asked what "analyses you read, then you linked three radical left wing opnion pieces that you now admit that you just Googled.

Apparently unlike you, I don't have a perfect memory capable of storing every URL I've visited, and what's contained there.

Quoting DLPMMM (Reply 106):
I don't need to read Chomsky's book, as I heard him speak on television. He is a complete idiot.

And you said I lose credibility?

RAPCON

Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:57 am

Quoting L410Turbolet (Reply 1):
seems like typical "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation,

That whole report is flawed and created to promote the political agenda of the issuers. Use it as toilet paper or kitty litter filler for that is the only good thing it's for.
MODS CAN'T STOP ME....THEY CAN ONLY HOPE TO CONTAIN ME!!!

Dougloid

Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:49 pm

Quoting QB001 (Reply 111):
Simply because I believe freedom of speech and freedom of the press are very closely related.

I cannot fathom the idea that you can have one but not the other. If freedom of expression is impaired, as the firing of this school bus driver suggests, then I believe that the freedom of the press is in serious trouble.

A school bus driver who is supposed to be keeping kids safe and not embarrassing her employer makes obscene gesture in public to a fairly important character....if that's your idea of freedom of expression, well, freedom of expression comes with consequences. Such as, if you act like a douchebag in public, you're going to pay for it. As it should be.

How unprofessional, even for a lowlife schoolbus driver...had it been an ordinary citizen, I'm quite confident the same or similar things would happen.

I guess giving each other the finger in Canada has no consequences, just one big happy family, right?

talktothehand   talktothehand   talktothehand   talktothehand 

satx

Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:35 am

I've been under the impression the NY Times is considered somewhat conservative in Western Europe. Am I wrong?

Quoting Marco (Reply 110):
BTW I'm against Bush as well, but all you do is attack the USA. Get over your complex man. It's really not that bad.

Maybe not for most average Americans but it's getting worse every day. For those caught up in some extraordinary rendition, well, America might as well be Iran or North Korea. Not very good company if you ask me.

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 114):
A school bus driver who is supposed to be keeping kids safe and not embarrassing her employer makes obscene gesture in public to a fairly important character....if that's your idea of freedom of expression, well, freedom of expression comes with consequences

It's so funny to see all the Bush backers claim they'd feel the same way if it was Clinton. Right. Whatever. At least feed me a lie I can actually believe.
A300 319 320 321 332 333 388 B727 732 733 735 737 738 739 742 743 744 752 753 763 764 772 77E 77L 773 77W 788 789 C200 700 900 DHC2 DC9 E145 170 175 190 F100 MD81 82 83 87 88 90 | 38 Lines 44 Craft 58 Ports

DLPMMM

Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:59 am

Quoting Joni (Reply 112):
Apparently unlike you, I don't have a perfect memory capable of storing every URL I've visited, and what's contained there.

Just admit it Joni,

You are a liar. You will say anything to further your political arguments, regardless of the truth.

And Chomsky is a new age idiot. If you think his blather has some kind of profound meaning, well..LOL.

Quoting SATX (Reply 115):
I've been under the impression the NY Times is considered somewhat conservative in Western Europe. Am I wrong?

In the USA where it is published it is considered quite liberal. In Western Europe, some people may consider the NYTimes conservative, but then it seems that some people like Joni in Europe would consider Das Kapital as right wing propaganda.

Quoting SATX (Reply 115):
It's so funny to see all the Bush backers claim they'd feel the same way if it was Clinton. Right. Whatever. At least feed me a lie I can actually believe.

The problem with the School bus driver's actions was that the SCHOOL BUS WAS FILLED WITH CHILDREN.

I would expect and infact demand that any teacher in a full classroom be fired if that tracher flipped the bird in class. The same for any other school employee. A part of being hired by the schools was that you would have contact with students and should behave appropriately during these times. No flipping people off, no exposing of private parts, no swearing, no smoking, no drinking...

Nothing to do with freedom of speech and everything to do with behaving like a mature adult. Obviously this particular bus driver was not mature enough to handle the responsibility.

ME AVN FAN

Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:41 pm

Quoting DLPMMM (Reply 116):
freedom of speech

The worst of it quite obviously is that many US-Americans feel angered by this statistics and its comments. Not so much apparently about opinions and/or facts but simply about the point NOT to have been regarded as top of the top. Such statistics depend on various "criteria" placed by those who make the statistics. You can "shift" any statistics if slightly changing the chosen criteria, and achieve just what you wish. Just to give an example, under Denmark they reported
-
<< Denmark (19th) dropped from joint first place because of serious threats against the authors of the Mohammed cartoons published there in autumn 2005. For the first time in recent years in a country that is very observant of civil liberties, journalists had to have police protection due to threats against them because of their work. >>
-
almost as if it had been the mistake of Denmark and its system that A) some a bit silly cartoons were published and B) some people became angry about.
-
Journalists in need of police protection in this statistic apparently are a negative factor.
-
So what ? Simply relax !
-

ME AVN FAN

Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:43 pm

've been under the impression the NY Times is considered somewhat conservative in Western Europe. Am I wrong?
--
In the USA where it is published it is considered quite liberal. In Western Europe, some people may consider the NYTimes conservative, but then it seems that some people like Joni in Europe would consider Das Kapital as right wing propaganda.

-
It may be "liberal" in the USA, but "middle-right" elsewhere. And it is heavily pro-Israeli. An astonishingly liberal newspaper I learnt to know in the USA is the Dallas Morning News which is amazingly objective.

satx

Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:53 pm

The problem with the School bus driver's actions was that the SCHOOL BUS WAS FILLED WITH CHILDREN.

Kids see murder and betrayal on TV all the time. The bird is hardly something to cry about. What kind of wimps are we raising who can’t handle seeing a particular finger being displayed?

I would expect and infact demand that any teacher in a full classroom be fired if that tracher flipped the bird in class.

Teacher? This story has nothing to do with a teacher.

No flipping people off, no exposing of private parts, no swearing, no smoking, no drinking...

Swearing might be in the same boat, but smoking, drinking, and exposing yourself are all way off the charts in this discussion. Again, please stick to the actual story and don’t bring in so many unrelated issues.

Nothing to do with freedom of speech and everything to do with behaving like a mature adult. Obviously this particular bus driver was not mature enough to handle the responsibility.

I think you’re being a bit harsh about this. I see people getting flicked off and cussed at every single day at work. There are no kids around, true, but I still think this is pretty normal for most jobs and being given a once-in-a-lifetime chance to give Bush the bird would be hard for me to pass-up as well. I think the driver should have been reprimanded, but I don’t think he should have been fired. My gut reaction was that this was a political move, either by the person doing the firing or from somebody complaining about primarily due to their political views.
A300 319 320 321 332 333 388 B727 732 733 735 737 738 739 742 743 744 752 753 763 764 772 77E 77L 773 77W 788 789 C200 700 900 DHC2 DC9 E145 170 175 190 F100 MD81 82 83 87 88 90 | 38 Lines 44 Craft 58 Ports

Joni

Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:39 pm

Just admit it Joni,

You are a liar. You will say anything to further your political arguments, regardless of the truth.

And Chomsky is a new age idiot. If you think his blather has some kind of profound meaning, well..LOL.

Here you've been overtaken by your own hyperbole.

rolfen

Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:59 pm

Quoting L410Turbolet (Reply 1):
Maybe someone can explain me HOW the freedom of press was compromised because fanatical mobs burned down Danish embassies in Damscus or Palestine or those lovely people who were allowed to yell something about killing those whu insult Mohammed in the streets of London(istan)?

What matters is how people feel about expressing freely their opinions. I am sure that after what happend, danish newspapers do not feel as free as before about expressing their opinions on some topics (namely islam). They may be theoretically free but the memory of the past events will pressure them into practicing restraing on these topics.

But you are right to pinpoint a shortcoming in this index... countries like jamaica are ahead probably because they're small and the likelihood of something going wrong is minimal.

Danemark should be praised for trying to push the limits of freedom of press and indeed it's surprising to see it fall in the chart.
rolf

ME AVN FAN

Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:25 pm

Quoting Rolfen (Reply 121):
They may be theoretically free but the memory of the past events will pressure them into practicing restraing on these topics.

I in the past criticized their government for what I regarded as a lack of diplomacy, but that the Danes stood up for the freedom of the press was a positive aspect. To take their possibly increased carefulness and problem awareness as a reduction of the freedom of the press would simply be wrong.
-
And it was mentioned that some of those worthy cartoonists needed police protection. That now however hardly was the mistake of the Danish authorities, but rather their trying to upheld freedom.
-
I have taken that example as just one of the rather curious things about this listing. It is obvious that such a list depends on the various criteria and on the ranking given to these criteria, and so, even a slight shift of the criteria will bring quite different results.
-

cfalk

Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:33 pm

What happened to the "freedom of speech"-principle the USA once had? Who is to blame for this bad ranking?

This group wants their members to have the right to say anything they want and have absolutely no responsibility. Publish classified information concerning national security, which could help someone sneak in a bomb, no problem. After all, they plan on the lucrative reporting of the aftermath.

Sorry, but to me, a reporter who publishes classified information, who knows it was classified in accordance to the law (and classification has its own oversight requirements), should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law, and in time of war I have no problem with charging him with treason.
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

DLPMMM

Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:37 pm

Quoting SATX (Reply 119):
Kids see murder and betrayal on TV all the time. The bird is hardly something to cry about. What kind of wimps are we raising who can’t handle seeing a particular finger being displayed?

It may be a suprise to you, but many parents do not allow their children to watch television shows with murders and vulgarities.

Teacher? This story has nothing to do with a teacher.

Teacher, Bus Driver, Janitor, Principa,l the standards of social behavior in front of students should be the same for all school employees.

Swearing might be in the same boat, but smoking, drinking, and exposing yourself are all way off the charts in this discussion. Again, please stick to the actual story and don’t bring in so many unrelated issues.

Sorry, but these are all social behaviors that should not be tolerated by school employees during school hours in front of school children.

I think you’re being a bit harsh about this. I see people getting flicked off and cussed at every single day at work. There are no kids around, true, but I still think this is pretty normal for most jobs and being given a once-in-a-lifetime chance to give Bush the bird would be hard for me to pass-up as well.

Well, I think this shows what kind of person you are, and why you should not left to tend to impressionable young minds. Mature people have learned how to control their emotions.

I think the driver should have been reprimanded, but I don’t think he should have been fired. My gut reaction was that this was a political move, either by the person doing the firing or from somebody complaining about primarily due to their political views.

I think that this shows the level of courseness and incivility that you have grown accustom to. Flipping off someone or swearing is unacceptable behavior for a school employee in front of school children.

DLPMMM

Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:38 pm

Duplicate post

filler
filler
filler

[Edited 2006-11-06 15:40:14]

DLPMMM

Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:52 pm

Quoting Joni (Reply 120):
Here you've been overtaken by your own hyperbole.

Nope, quite straight forward and easy to understand.

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 117):
The worst of it quite obviously is that many US-Americans feel angered by this statistics and its comments.

Not angry at all about it. This is not "statistics" or a "study". it is essentially an opnion poll of reporters over what country's political positions toward reporters that they like the best. Their methodology is actually quite well documented so that I can authoritatively say:

Garbage In: Garbage Out.

Please read the earlier posts for more insight.

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 118):
It may be "liberal" in the USA, but "middle-right" elsewhere. And it is heavily pro-Israeli. An astonishingly liberal newspaper I learnt to know in the USA is the Dallas Morning News which is amazingly objective

Thank you for making my earlier point. Europe has gone so far to the left that they think the NYTimes is conservative.

I don't know why you are trying to stick Israel into this thread.

I also like the fact that you say the Dallas Morning News is "ashtonishingly liberal" and in the same sentence go on to say it is "amazingly objective". This goes a long way to toward explaining your view on the world.

cfalk

Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:05 am

Quoting DLPMMM (Reply 126):
Thank you for making my earlier point. Europe has gone so far to the left that they think the NYTimes is conservative.

I can attest to that, after living some 20 years in Europe.

The main difference between American and European press is generally, the standard U.S. newspaper has a separate section for Op/Ed articles, where reporters and others can rant and rave about what they like. The rest of the newspaper in principle do not include such opinion - they are supposed to only include objective information about what happened, who said what about it, etc.. There would obviously be some editorial bias in most cases - the decision process of what stories are carried and how prominantly it is displayed - but generally you don't have overt bias or advocacy in these articles, unlike editorials.

In European papers (not all of them, but many), there is not this distiction between the objective part of the paper and Op/Ed. A front page article will often lay out the story but will include some pretty un-subtle hints about where the reporter stands on the issue.

Personally, I prefer the American system.

satx

Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:18 am

Quoting DLPMMM (Reply 124):
Well, I think this shows what kind of person you are, and why you should not left to tend to impressionable young minds. Mature people have learned how to control their emotions.

Oh, it most certainly does, just as it shows us what kind of man this guy is...

DLPMMM

Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:51 am

Quoting SATX (Reply 128):
Oh, it most certainly does, just as it shows us what kind of man this guy is...

I don't know if that is a real video, an impersonator, or doctored photo, but it makes no difference to the discussion at hand, just another obfuscation when faced with logic and facts.

I never thought much of him myself. It has always amazed me that the Dems could not field a candidate that could beat him. I personally am a Libertarian, and have been for some 30 years.

cfalk

Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:08 am

Quoting DLPMMM (Reply 129):
I don't know if that is a real video, an impersonator, or doctored photo, but it makes no difference to the discussion at hand, just another obfuscation when faced with logic and facts.

It IS real. When GWB was governor, he was getting ready for a TV address, and was goofing off thinking that the recorders were not yet on.

Very similar to when Reagan was testing his microphone with "My fellow Americans, I have just signed legislation outlawing the Soviet Union forever. We start bombing in five minutes."

I thought it was funny as hell, but leftists don't have very sophisticated senses of humour, it seems  Wink

satx

Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:09 am

Quoting DLPMMM (Reply 129):
I never thought much of him myself. It has always amazed me that the Dems could not field a candidate that could beat him.

Did you forget Al Gore? He just barely lost (or just barely won, if not for the Supreme Court.)

Kerry thought he was in a battle with Bush, a battle he actually may have won, but in fact he was really in battle with Rove. No match, Rove kicked Kerry's ass.

ME AVN FAN

Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:31 am

Europe has gone so far to the left

Quite to the contrary, Europe including the Social Democrats has gone to the right also, but NOT in such an extreme way as the USA.
-

"ashtonishingly liberal" and in the same sentence go on to say it is "amazingly objective". This goes a long way to toward explaining your view on the world.

I don't see any contradiction in that
-

Dougloid

Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:28 am

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 117):
almost as if it had been the mistake of Denmark and its system that A) some a bit silly cartoons were published and B) some people became angry about.
-
Journalists in need of police protection in this statistic apparently are a negative factor.
-
So what ? Simply relax !

President Reagan once observed that certain people were like infants-a braying mouth at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. It describes a lot of the activities of the press and media.

The point that everyone always seems to miss here is that there IS freedom of the press here, but it is NOT freedom from responsibility for the things you say and do.