Pope

RE: BCS Bowl Projections Game Week 3

Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:07 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 26):
Whether they made a case or not they shouldn't be allowed to play for the title. If you can't beat them in the last game of the season you don't deserve to play them again a month later.

Yet isn't that how we won our National Championship?
Hypocrisy. It's the new black for liberals.

casinterest

Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:48 am

Quoting Pope (Reply 50):

No, we had to play an SEC Championship game and won handsomely, and got lucky in that Nebraska got beaten by Texas.

I thought about this as well, but we lost a close one at Tallahassee much like Michigan, but we had to win an SEC championship by playing again to prove our worth.

The Big10 and Pac 10 champions (OSU and ASU) were going to Rose no matter what. Nebraska was the only real contendor and blew it by losing the First Big 12 championship game.
Where ever you go, there you are.

MUWarriors

Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:05 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 47):
No it isn't. You seem to forget that Florida has to play a top 5 team in 2 weeks plus the untangibles like a poorly playing FSU team that will do anything to beat us in Tallahassee, a Georgia team that has struggled this year but then beat the crap out of a highly ranked Auburn, and an Alabama team that has the talent but for some reason the wheels fell off after last season's great year.

Which is why I said:

Quoting MUWarriors (Reply 46):
Looking at it from a break down this way, I think currently UofM has an edge. Should Florida and USC win out, all three are, arguably, deserving.

Also for all the examples you gave as to why Florida deserves to be in, similar argument for Michigan (substitute MSU for FSU, Iowa for Alabama, etc...). Also a thought to keep in mind, only Michigan and USC have beaten a team still hoping for the national title (Notre Dame and Arkansas respectively).

The anger is nobody outside of a few million folks in the Midwest will give a damn about a rematch. Look for the lowest rated college championship ever if it is a rematch.

Hell, if we are basing this on ratings lets throw USC in it right now, second largest media market in the country, in the largest state in the country. It's a no brainer. Look, I am not saying Florida isn't deserving, but I am saying a good argument can be made for Michigan. Right now Michigan might be the best choice, but we still have 2 weeks for this to sort out.

deltagator

Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:33 am

Quoting Pope (Reply 50):
Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 26):
Whether they made a case or not they shouldn't be allowed to play for the title. If you can't beat them in the last game of the season you don't deserve to play them again a month later.

Indeed it is but in our case quite few teams lost to give us that chance. Was it exactly fair to HalfAssU to play us again...under my thinking no. But we couldn't just go out an tell those teams to win so we didn't get a chance. We lost that last game by a few points as well (though we did have the SEC Title game) and we dropped quite a few spots but luck helped us out. UM loses and they don't drop...that's BS.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

Pope

Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:39 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 53):
UM loses and they don't drop...that's BS.

While I agree that's weird, I do believe that a strong case can be made that UM is today the second best team in the country. I do not think that we can say that about UF. Therefore, if they are the second best team in the country why shouldn't they be ranked #2 - even if that creates a rematch?

That being said, I think USC has a strong argument to be ranked #2 as well.
Hypocrisy. It's the new black for liberals.

casinterest

Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:11 am

Quoting Pope (Reply 54):
why shouldn't they be ranked #2 - even if that creates a rematch?

Because if OSU beat Michigan again, every one will say great.... What about the other 1 loss teams that didn't get a shot?

The issue here is one that everyone is so in love with michigan, that they are not allowing other teams that only lost 1 game in similar situations a chance at the game.

My real argument is that there really needs to be a playoff system.
Hopefully the coaches will come up with a way to sabotage the harris and Computer rankings of Michigan to allow another one loss team to play for the NC.
Where ever you go, there you are.

Boston92
Topic Author

Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:35 am

Quoting MUWarriors (Reply 46):
I don't understand the anger in the polls. Michigan lost, by 3, to the #1 team in the country on the road

If you lose a game, you DROP, or in this case, SHOULD drop. End of story.

Michigan doesn't deserve another chance

checkmark 

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 53):
UM loses and they don't drop...that's BS.

checkmark 

Quoting CasInterest (Reply 55):
What about the other 1 loss teams that didn't get a shot?

We all agree that OSU deserves to be in the title game. All of the other top 6 teams have had respectable losses, even USC's to Oregon State. Notre Dame lost to Michigan, Florida to Auburn, UM to OSU, and Arkansas to USC. Granted that in the next couple of weeks, two of those teams are going to be knocked out for good, USC, Notre Dame, AND Florida, Arkansas.

CMHSRQ

Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:34 am

So UCLA is beating USC right now with less then 5 minutes left in the 4th quarter. Even if USC does come back and win will they drop in the polls?
Which means OSU-UM again
The voice of moderation

halls120

Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:07 am

Quoting CMHSRQ (Reply 57):
Which means OSU-UM again

frown 
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography