Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

mdsh00
Topic Author

Ucla Student Gets Taser'ed Video...thoughts?

Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:45 pm

Something new to help out the image of L.A.'s Finest:

Last nite at the UCLA library, a student was found without his ID card and was asked to leave. For some reason or the other, the police had to be called by campus security. In the end, the student was tasered 4 times. Another student took the video with his phone:

In defense of the police, I am sure that the student must have done or said something stupid for the police to come in there in the first place. And the Patriot Act doesn't have anything to do with it (then again people might not make much sense after getting tasered).

But as a student, and a former UCLA student, I find the whole thing really disturbing and I think the police were too excessive in the whole thing. They didn't need to taser the guy 4 times when he was already handcuffed. They didn't have to threaten to tase the other students that were asking for their badge numbers and names. Being a student and stressed out sometimes, I've forgotten my ID a lot of times when going into that library. It's just scary that something like this can happen over someone not having their ID.

What are the opinons of the Cops here on A.net?

cfalk

RE: Ucla Student Gets Taser'ed Video...thoughts?

Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:05 pm

Quoting Mdsh00 (Thread starter):

If you ever watch Cops, you can see that police officers deal with a lot of shit, and a lot of pretty stupid and sometimes violent people. They just want to secure a scene as easily and safely as they can, and refuse to take unnecessary risks. If a cop tells you do do something, you say "yes, sir" and do it. If you want to file a complaint, do it later. But if you mouth off to a cop, or don't do what you are told, you deserve to get what this guy got.
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

skyservice_330

Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:05 pm

From watching it, it seemed like they wanted him to stand up "Stand up or you are going to get tazed again." and when he didn't/couldn't/refused to they tazed him. My question to the police officers here (and I know we only have the video to go on) but if they wanted him to stand up so they could get him outside and he wouldn't/couldn't stand up, why didn't they just grab the chain on the cuffs and drag him out?

cfalk

Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:09 pm

Quoting SKYSERVICE_330 (Reply 2):
"Stand up or you are going to get tazed again."

The instruction sounded pretty simple to understand to me.
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

waterpolodan

Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:12 pm

That kid is a self-righteous moron. "Here's your f4%$ing patriot act!" What a fool. After watching it again, he sounds highly aggitated so I suppose the first tazing was justified, but I think after that they should have just dragged him outside.

[Edited 2006-11-16 08:14:02]

skyservice_330

Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:12 pm

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 3):

Definately easy to understand. My question to the police officers on the forum though, is why taze him over just dragging him out by the cuffs?

mdsh00
Topic Author

Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:25 pm

Quoting SKYSERVICE_330 (Reply 5):
Definately easy to understand. My question to the police officers on the forum though, is why taze him over just dragging him out by the cuffs?

That's what I was thinking. He's already cuffed, just drag him out of the library instead of tasing him repeatedly. Also, anybody with taser experience, can it pysically make it hard for you to get up?

DfwRevolution

Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:38 pm

All this video shows is that people are tools.

The student was a tool - for whatever reason, he allowed himself to be aggravated beyond all reason was acting totally out of line. Take your meds, take a chill pill, and follow the frickin library policy next time.

The police were tools - there was absolutely no justification for repeated Taser use. None at all. Those weapons should only be used when the only other alternative is lethal force. They should not be used to settle disagreements and yelling matches.

The librarians were tools - if this really did start as a nothing more than simple violation of not having an ID card, they should have let it go. Just tell him the policy and ask him not to do it again. What kind of educational bureaucracy doesn't allow a student to remain in a library without ID?

About the only people who acted with some sense was the dude who managed to get it on tape so we can at least discuss what happened.

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 1):
you can see that police officers deal with a lot of shit

That's fairly well understood in the job description.

Still doesn't give police the rights to abuse their power.

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 1):
But if you mouth off to a cop, or don't do what you are told, you deserve to get what this guy got.

No, you don't deserve thousands of volts sent through your body for saying anything. If at some point a cop doesn't have the situational awareness to defuse an issue that started over a library card, they shouldn't be in the field.

My biggest concern is that events like the one shown hurt the ability of law enforcement to carry non-lethal weapons. Tasers have saved countless lives, but if cops use them to win yelling matches, they won't be carrying them for long.

Quoting Mdsh00 (Reply 6):
Also, anybody with taser experience, can it pysically make it hard for you to get up?

Yes, a strong hit will disrupt motor coordination for some time.
I have a three post per topic limit. You're welcome to have the last word.

jetjack74

Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:52 pm

campus security.

Are they real police or rent-a-cops?

In defense of the police, I am sure that the student must have done or said something stupid for the police to come in there in the first place

checkmark  99% percent of the time when the police have to subdue a smartmouth little rich kid, he probably deserved it. However, I was there, so I can't really say.

Another student took the video with his phone:

He's a lousy cinematographer, lol.

And the Patriot Act doesn't have anything to do with it (then again people might not make much sense after getting tasered).

It was kind of funny to listen to this kid crying weeping like a little girl. Pussy!!

I've never had any problems with the police(not in this country anyway). I don't think i've ever met a crooked cop. Thought about moving back to the UK and joining the police force back when I was first getting out of the Navy, but it didn't quite work out that way.
Made from jets!

174thfwff

Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:33 pm

Quoting Jetjack74 (Reply 8):
99% percent of the time when the police have to subdue a smartmouth little rich kid, he probably deserved it. However, I was there, so I can't really say.

56.7% of statistics are made up! You're totally right about wealthy kids have no right to question whats going on....
Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan, Staten, Uptown, what now? Lets make it happen.

Jetsgo

Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:41 pm

If the police instruct you to stand up, do it. Lesson learned.

Chris

[Edited 2006-11-16 09:46:25]
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

jetjack74

Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:46 pm

Quoting 174thfwff (Reply 9):
56.7% of statistics are made up!

I agree 100%!!!!! bigthumbsup 
Made from jets!

mdsh00
Topic Author

Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:00 pm

Are they real police or rent-a-cops?

They're real police. ID checks are done by campus security who then alert the UCPD (University of California Police Department) if there is a situation. So it's obvious this guy must have said or done something to make the police come there.

That being said, it just seems pointless and over the edge, what they did. He was already cuffed and there were enough of the police to just pick him up and drag him out. In the end of the video, we see them doing just that. So if in the end they had to drag him out, why not have done that in the first place rather than having to taser him repeatedly and cause such a commotion over an ID card?

subdue a smartmouth little rich kid,

Well, there are a lot of wealthy kids at UCLA but whether or not this guy was doesn't really matter anyway.

A little update:

http://www.dailybruin.com/news/articles.asp?id=38960

NeilYYZ

Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:10 pm

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 3):

checkmark 

Quoting JetsGo (Reply 10):
If the police instruct you to stand up, do it. Lesson learned.

checkmark 

Seems to me that if the kid had just complied instead of causing a big ruckus it would have gone a lot better for him. And the police needed to threaten to taze the crowd, there looked to be about five police and a whole bunch of students, they needed to control the situation, and the did. I bet next time this kid won't act like a moron.
It may be too early to drink scotch... But it is NEVER too early to think about it...

Daleaholic

Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:29 pm

Quoting JetsGo (Reply 10):
If the police instruct you to stand up, do it

He just got tasered for christ's sake!

Personally, the cops were being a$$holes. Rather than take the easy way, cuff the kid and drag him out, they have to whip out their taser gun and shock him.

mad 
Religion is an illusion of childhood... Outgrown under proper education.

Jetsgo

Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:39 pm

Quoting Daleaholic (Reply 14):

He just got tasered for christ's sake!

Would he have been tasered if he cooperated in the first place? Highly doubtful. This guy chose to mess with the bull, and he got the horns. Serves him right.

Chris
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

AerospaceFan

Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:33 pm

Here is a link to a story concerning the incident:

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercu...a/northern_california/16021033.htm
What's fair is fair.

BMIFlyer

Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:40 pm

That's what I was thinking. He's already cuffed, just drag him out of the library instead of tasing him repeatedly. Also, anybody with taser experience, can it pysically make it hard for you to get up?

When you are tasered, it is only meant to "stun" you for a short period, of course depending on where you are hit. This is to enable the police to take you down, cuff you, etc....

Personally, the cops were being a$$holes.

Rather not, there was a large crowd to control, they need to use assertiveness in order to take charge of the situation.

Those little rich kids seem to think they know everything (yes I have met a few), but in the end, It seems that they don't. Those kids were just being total asswipes, and making the situation worse, IMO.

Rather than take the easy way, cuff the kid and drag him out, they have to whip out their taser gun and shock him.

We don't know what happened in this case, to cause the officers to taser the guy in the first place. If he was displaying threatening behaviour towards them, then they were within their rights to use such means to control it.

Lee
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

AerospaceFan

Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:57 pm

Quoting BMIFlyer (Reply 17):
Those little rich kids seem to think they know everything (yes I have met a few), but in the end, It seems that they don't. Those kids were just being total asswipes, and making the situation worse, IMO.

I would have to say the following: Most of the students who go to UCLA are not "little rich kids". I think you're confusing UCLA with the University of Southern California (USC), sometimes known for its nickname, the "University of Spoiled Children".
What's fair is fair.

itsjustme

Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:39 pm

Something new to help out the image of L.A.'s Finest

Actually the officers involved in the arrest are UCPD officers, not LAPD.

In a nutshell, based on the very limited information available, I think the officers overreacted. Tasers are typically used when attempting to take someone who is displaying resistance into custody. Here, the suspect was already handcuffed and didn't appear to pose a physical threat to the officers safety. Not being there, I have no idea if the officers felt their safety was jeopardized or not. If they did, then the debate regarding their use of the taser is over. However, it appears as though they were using the taser as a tool to get the suspect to comply with their commands to stand up rather than as a means to control someone who was being combative.
Prior to deploying a taser, officers must consider, among other things, the severity of the crime the suspect has committed, the safety of everyone involved in the arrest, and whether or not time plays a role in taking the suspect into custody. I believe the police were called because the suspect did not possess the proper ID to be in the school library. If he refuses to leave, that translates to misdemeanor trespassing. Prior to being tased, the suspect was already in handcuffs and appeared to be under the control of the officers so safety doesn't appear to be an issue. Yes, the suspect did not comply with the officers commands to stand up but he was still under their control (not to mention, it's quite possible he was physically unable to comply with their commands after being tased). And finally, I think the video was only about 6 minutes in length yet the suspect was tased 4 times. That seems excessive, especially given the fact the suspect was already handcuffed and was simply refusing to stand up.

As for the other students who were demanding officer's names and badge numbers - two words - bad idea. The last thing I want to deal with when effecting an arrest are bystanders interfering because they disagree with my actions. That's a very good way to find yourself cuffed up and under arrest for obstructing a police officer.

AerospaceFan

Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:46 pm

It's annoying as hell to see Powell Library involved in this kind of thing. I last visited the place, I would say, maybe eight or nine months ago, and remember marveling at how nice the new addition was. (That's the new addition you see in the footage.) I'm gonna try to go back to remembering that rather than this unpleasantness.

A part of me says that this thing is way overblown.

One more thing: UC police departments are not known for excessive reactions of late, as far as I know. During the anti-apartheid protests of the 1980's, I don't recall there having been a single incident at any UC campus of documented police brutality or excessive use of force. Of course, I could be wrong, but I don't think so.
What's fair is fair.

L410Turbolet

Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:51 pm

Quoting Itsjustme (Reply 19):
However, it appears as though they were using the taser as a tool to get the suspect to comply with their commands to stand up

A bit counterproductive tool isn't it?

Queso

Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:59 pm

Simple. Comply or suffer the consequences.

They should have called his parents to come pick him up.

Edited to be more politically correct.

[Edited 2006-11-16 14:00:37]

Qb001

Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:19 pm

This is police brutality.

Even though the guy refused to cooperate, he presented no threat to either other people, including the officers, or to himself. Therefore he did not have to be tasered.

And how many times do officers have to yell "stand up" before they can come to the conclusion that the guy will not stand up?

The officers should have dragged him to their car - they could also have called other officers for help - and charged him with resisting his arrest or something like that.

Now those officers will likely be charged themselves. Too bad...
Never let the facts get in the way of a good theory.

Queso

Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:35 pm

Quoting QB001 (Reply 23):
This is police brutality.

Bullshit.

The officers should have dragged him to their car - they could also have called other officers for help - and charged him with resisting his arrest or something like that.

Police brutality would have been if they ripped his arms off and then tasered him while he was looking for them.

itsjustme

Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:36 pm

Quoting L410Turbolet (Reply 21):
A bit counterproductive tool isn't it?

No, not at all when used appropriately. But to continually tase a handcuffed suspect merely because he won't stand up - that seems inappropriate. Again, however, I wasn't there and I am basing that assessment on the minimal information available.
Used in the proper manner, a PR-24 works as a very effective "come-along" tool when handcuffed suspects are unwilling to stand.

legoguy

Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:43 pm

That video is actually quite distrubing. Although the student involved properly deserved the first shot from the taser, was it necessary for another 3 right infront of all the other students? As others have mentioned, they should have just dragged him outside by the cuffs.

Also I would have thought that recieving an electrical current through your body from a taser would make ithard to stand up. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Can you say 'Beer Can' without sounding like a Jamaican saying 'Bacon'?

rammstein

Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:49 pm

OMG what was this guy doing? Was he a threat to other people? Congratulations to the policemen, they solved a serious security threat...  crazy 
He who wishes to be rich in a day will be hanged in a day. --Leonardo Da Vinci

kaddyuk

Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:54 pm

Quoting Queso (Reply 24):
Police brutality would have been if they ripped his arms off and then tasered him while he was looking for them

You need to take a heavy dose of sensible pills...

On the front of it, this guy got tazered which must hurt like hell. (I've had a fairly large whack from some equipment at work). It certainly would disrupt his motor functions probably making it difficult for him to stand up. Repeated use of the tazer to control him was inccorect. Humans are not like cows. Our skin and Heart is VERY sensitive to electrical current. They're lucky that guy didnt have a heart attack. ANY mild heart condition and that would have been a likely outcome.

Sure he needed calming down, however the whole situation stank and personally i think those officers need to be re-trained in the use of tazers...
Whoever said "laughter is the best medicine" never had Gonorrhea

53Sqdn

Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:42 pm

If I understand it correctly, doesn't the Tazer effect the nervous system? To render the 'offender' incapable of bodily control? Having seen other videos of this 'weapon' in action, I seem to recall that the person hit by the barbs had to be physically lifted and carried away.

Now, the guy was gobbing off. Bad language was abundant. So, what's so different about that?

Anyway, because the guy wouldn't, couldn't comply with their instructions, they zapped him again. Now this, would/could be neccessary for a 'big' man. But the words that ring out all through this obnoxious episode is;'STAND UP'.
By now, I should think the last thing this guy could do is stand up. But, in the true bullish power of certain 'FORCES' in the world the ASSAULT goes on. Still those two words ring out from the 'Enforcers'. Then what do we hear? Zap. Zap! The law enforcements baskets in this particular case should be done for torture. What else can you call it? I have respect for the men/women all over the world who work for there police forces. But, brutallity within those forces does happen. IMO, this is such a case. The person involved in this incident was an arse. But, the police in this case were shite!

The taser (sorry, spelt it wrong earlier) delivers 50000 volts. That means (in theory) this guy received 200,000 volts. Then, the 'fuzz' wants him to stand up? Sicko men in black IMO

MDorBust

Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:52 pm

He's already cuffed, just drag him out of the library instead of tasing him repeatedly.

Because then we would be watching a video of some kid being dragged around and debating if dragging someone is police brutality

Personally I would have riot strapped him like a mummy, slapped him on a book dolly and wheeled him out.

But then again, he does like screaming. Perhaps more tasers tongs...  Wink  stirthepot 
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

DfwRevolution

Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:03 am

Quoting 53Sqdn (Reply 29):
If I understand it correctly, doesn't the Tazer effect the nervous system? To render the 'offender' incapable of bodily control?

Yes to varying degree. They are also potentially lethal weapons, especially if the victim has a pre-existing medical condition or has some sort of substance in their body.

For that reason, Tasers should only be used when lethal force would otherwise be necessary or surrounding individuals are in immediate danger. Judging by the large congregation of students and complete lack of crowd control, I would suspect neither was the case in the video above..

Quoting Rammstein (Reply 27):
Was he a threat to other people? Congratulations to the policemen, they solved a Slap himserious security threat...

From the large crowd gathered, do you think he was a threat? He was making a scene, that's all. Totally inappropriate, but in no way does it justify the use of a Taser.

The biggest threat was to the concentration of the library students, because you can rest assured they didn't go back to their books once the police left...

Quoting Queso (Reply 24):
Police brutality would have been if they ripped his arms off and then tasered him while he was looking for them.

Have you ever been hit with a Taser? They are listed as a form of torture by most human rights organizations and they have the power to kill individuals.

You don't settle yelling matches that started over a library card with a potentially lethal weapon.

Queso

Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:12 am

Quoting DfwRevolution (Reply 31):
Have you ever been hit with a Taser?

Yes, I have.

They are listed as a form of torture by most human rights organizations

Source?

they have the power to kill individuals.

MANY objects have the power to kill individuals if employed in the right manner.

You don't settle yelling matches that started over a library card with a potentially lethal weapon.

You do if that's what it escalates to. He asked...no, DEMANDED to be tasered. The punk had plenty of opportunities to de-escalate the situation.

rammstein

Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:23 am

He was making a scene, that's all. Totally inappropriate, but in no way does it justify the use of a Taser.

I was ironic  Smile
He who wishes to be rich in a day will be hanged in a day. --Leonardo Da Vinci

APFPilot1985

Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:34 am

Quoting Mdsh00 (Reply 12):
A little update:

The article makes a good point, the police had no way of knowing if he was a student or who he was

Even though the guy refused to cooperate, he presented no threat to either other people, including the officers, or to himself. Therefore he did not have to be tasered.

How are the police supposed to know that he presents no threat? All they have is a situation with an uncooperative individual. They don't have some sixth sense that allows them to separate the threats from the non threats.

Quoting Rammstein (Reply 27):
OMG what was this guy doing? Was he a threat to other people?

Again, how were the police supposed to know this.
Stand Up and Be Counted Visit Site Related to Voice your opinion

102IAHexpress

Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:39 am

That’s why I never attended public school.

At the very least those cops should be put on desk assignment. And when did our public universities become police states? I’m also amazed that a school as large as UCLA can’t verify whether someone is a student or not with a ss# or a student id#.

L410Turbolet

Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:46 am

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 30):
Because then we would be watching a video of some kid being dragged around and debating if dragging someone is police brutality

Are you serious? That's why they tazed him again and again? To be certain there's little or no doubt about them overreacting?

Quoting Queso (Reply 32):
Yes, I have.

Given your reasoning it was obviously either not enough or too much.

He asked...no, DEMANDED to be tasered. The punk had plenty of opportunities to de-escalate the situation.

Opportunity do de-escalate situation with these cops zapping him and yelling at him "stand up" zillion times (the only two words they know???) at the same time? Kind hard to have it both ways.

Quoting APFPilot1985 (Reply 34):
How are the police supposed to know that he presents no threat?

Hmmmm... Maybe because he was handcuffed?

learpilot

Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:47 am

Quoting Itsjustme (Reply 19):
As for the other students who were demanding officer's names and badge numbers - two words - bad idea. The last thing I want to deal with when effecting an arrest are bystanders interfering because they disagree with my actions. That's a very good way to find yourself cuffed up and under arrest for obstructing a police officer.

What a load of horse$#!t. You'll arrest someone and throw some bull$#!t charge of obstructing an officer at them because they asked you for your name and badge number? Sounds like a case of the Napoleon complex if you ask me.

And you guys wonder why people are losing respect for the police...
Heed our warnings or your future will be underpant free!

DfwRevolution

Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:48 am

Yes, I have.

Then you would agree that calling the experience unpleasant would be a gross understatement?

Source?

Amnesty International and many others

MANY objects have the power to kill individuals if employed in the right manner.

And were any potentially lethal techniques justified in the case? Absolutely not....

You do if that's what it escalates to. He asked...no, DEMANDED to be tasered. The punk had plenty of opportunities to de-escalate the situation.

Oh bullshit. You do not use potentially lethal force to quiet someone. That is about as absolute of a statement as I can possibly make without knowing more about the situation.

The ultimate responsibility rest with the police to use their power and authority with proper restraint. Yes the student challenged them, and they are absolutely weak (in my book) to have resorted to using a Taser.

This "police are the law so they can do anything and then sort it out later" attitude is rather disturbing. We give police a great deal of power, and they should use it responsibly. This is a rather graphic demonstration that American law enforcement leaves much to be desired...

legoguy

Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:06 am

Quoting APFPilot1985 (Reply 34):
How are the police supposed to know that he presents no threat?

Police are trained to know whether someone is a threat or not. This guy was obviously loud mouthed but the situation did not call for 4 taser stings. How is he supposed to stand up when is in nearly inable to?

I would imagine this affected a good few students there. You can hear most of them yelling 'NOOOOOO' when they said they would taser him again. That can be quite disturbing to watch.

MDorBust

Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:09 am

Quoting L410Turbolet (Reply 36):
Are you serious? That's why they tazed him again and again? To be certain there's little or no doubt about them overreacting?

You know what... I'm just going to go back to posting key plot points from A Clockwork Orange in crime/police/punishment threads. That way at least a few people might understand what is going on.

No, I don't believe that the officers acted to solidify any charges against them. I think the officers had their fangs out and lost perspective. It happens. Especially in a position in which their suspect was apparently attempting to goade the crowd against them.

There is more to this story. I can promise you this person intended a conflict with the police.

Guess who is jumping to the call:

http://theamericanmuslim.org/tam.php...lim_student_taser_incident/0011752
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

APFPilot1985

Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:10 am

Quoting Legoguy (Reply 39):
How is he supposed to stand up when is in nearly inable to?

Did you read the related article, they used the taser in drive mode, which doesnt deliver a full body shock, but rather a localized sting. Try again

usnseallt82

Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:12 am

thoughts?

Quit being an ass towards the police. Pretty simple, if you ask me.

If you want to play hard ball, expect the same in return.  yes 
Crye me a river

legoguy

Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:16 am

Quoting APFPilot1985 (Reply 41):
Did you read the related article, they used the taser in drive mode, which doesnt deliver a full body shock, but rather a localized sting. Try again

No I havn't seen the article. IS there a link to it?

Even still.... one to two taser shots is justifiable however four in this case is not.

APFPilot1985

Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:26 am

Quoting Legoguy (Reply 43):
Even still.... one to two taser shots is justifiable however four in this case is not.

alright, so you have an uncooperative subject who you know nothing about and who hasnt responded to 2 taser shots, what would you do then

MDorBust

Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:27 am

Quoting Legoguy (Reply 43):
No I havn't seen the article. IS there a link to it?

http://www.nbc4.tv/news/10325914/detail.html

Quote:
"The officers deemed it necessary to use the Taser in a 'drive stun' capacity," she said in the statement. "A Taser is used to incapacitate subjects who are resistant by discharging an electronic current into the subject in one of two methods: via two wired probes that are deployed from the Taser, or in a 'drive stun' capacity by touching the subject with the Taser. In this incident the student was not shot with a Taser; rather, officers used the 'drive stun' capability.

Other fun details:

Quote:
"Since, after repeated requests, he would neither leave nor show identification, the CSO notified UCPD officers, who responded and asked Tabatabainejad to leave the premises multiple times. He continued to refuse. As the officers attempted to escort him out, he went limp and continued to refuse to cooperate with officers or leave the building.

scratchchin 

Quote:
Greenstein said Tabatabainejad encouraged others in the library to join his "resistance." She said a crowd gathered around the officers.

scratchchin 

Quote:
The video shows the student shouting, "Here's your Patriot Act, here's your (expletive) abuse of power," the newspaper reported.

Spontaneous I'm sure...

legoguy

Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:32 am

Quoting APFPilot1985 (Reply 44):

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 45):

mmmm OK after reading that, Id have to say he deserved what he got. It was hard to see in the video the full details apart from him getting tasered.

Cadet57

Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:38 am

Wow... What a bunch of idiots those kids are "We want your information" Bullshit. Maybe if the kid wasnt busy yelling "Dont touch me" And actually cooperated with the officers instructions, he wouldent have been LEGALLY tazed by the officer. People, this is not police brutality, this is an asshat college student who wanted to start some shit with the cops and he bit off more then he could chew.
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

UH60FtRucker

Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:39 am

You know what I found more disturbing? It wasn't the pathetic camp-po... it was the pussy students!!!  Angry

What the f*ck was their malfunction? First we have this kid - who's shooting the video - cowering behind the cubicle. And when he (she?) finally gets up to investigate, he tries to keep the video phone hidden. He remains part of the crowd, and never interjects himself to the forefront to see exactly what was happening.

F*ck that - stand up, walk straight over there, and hold the phone up in plain sight, and make it clear you're video taping the event. Act like you got a pair!! He obviously thought the event was worth getting on tape... but not worth drawing any attention on to himself, nor standing front and center to be a clear witness. Pathetic.  vomit 

And what about all of the other students - just standing there? It was like watching one of those National Geographic - African Wildlife shows. The lions chowing down on a fresh kill, while the herd just idly stand near by, simply watching.

Not one of them even attempted to defend the man. All they did was say stupid things like:

"Oh umm sir, I'd like your badge number."
"Ummm hello, sir, like are you, like, listening me? I, like, want your badge number like you silly goose you!"

If you believe something is wrong - If you believe there is an injustice being committed - than you should be willing to stand up and say, this is wrong, and I am going to stand up against it. But these students just STOOD THERE like dumb spectators at a sports arena. Not one of them had the fortitude to interject themselves into a situation that they believed to be wrong.

And maybe I'm way off base. Maybe it's the soldier in me that says, "If you believe in something, than you ought to be willing to bleed for it." Or maybe it's because the youth of today are spineless, gutless brats who'd rather ask for badge numbers than become involved and attempt to stop the situation.

What those spectators did was disturbing. Not one of them had the fortitude to defend against a perceived injustice, and that speaks volumes about today's generation of young adults.  gnasher 

-UH60

[Edited 2006-11-16 17:46:44]
Your men have to follow your orders. They don't have to go to your funeral.

MattRB

Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:41 am

So.. in the end they ended up dragging him out anyways. Why couldn't they have just done that in the first place when he went limp?

Poor judgement on the officers part to use the taser. It wasn't required at all.

To continue tasing him after the student informed them he had a medical condition (about 40 seconds in, he can be heard stating such) was reckless.
Aviation is proof that, given the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible.