HPLASOps
Topic Author

I Need Help With A Debt

Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:05 pm

About two months ago, I was tired of being lonely and shy and not being able to get many dates. I responded to an ad for a full service dating agency. There was absolutely no way to know how much this was going to cost - the ad said nothing, I checked the website and had no mentioning whatsoever about how much they charge, so basically when I went met with them, I really had no idea how much this was going to cost me. I figured it would be a little more than the $40 a month I knew internet dating sites charged and I didn't want to get involved with one of those, and I could afford to spend about $300 to $400 without busting my budget.

So I go and meet with a sales agent. Her presentation lasts about 30 minutes, goes through all the details of what they can do for me, etc, fluffing me up real nice, then she gets into the pricing. First she showed me a price of about $6,000. I should have got up and walked up right there, but like an idiot, I stuck around after I reminded her I worked for an airline. She went and talked to her boss and knocked the price down to $1800 for a 13 month contract (with $40/month dues). I started thinking things like "well, maybe I could afford this, all I'd have to do is sacrafice this and this, and well, I need a spark in my life..." and I ended up signing the contract and put the total on my credit card. I didn't feel 100% committed to the decision, and as I walked to my car, I called my parents to tell them about it, and my mom sighed and said nothing, which is her way of saying "You freaking idiot! Why did you make such a dumbass decision?" I knew right then I screwed up. I called up the agency when I got home and told them I wanted out - to which their attitude was "You signed a contract - too bad." I called my bank to dispute the transaction, and they did wipe it off my account while under dispute. I haven't contacted the agency since I had the bank dispute it, and I haven't used any of the services they have offered. Well, Friday, the Bank put the transactions back on my account (I sorta expected this, I had a lawyer look at the contract I signed, and they covered their ass very well).

I am now faced with a decision - just go ahead and forget about the dispute and and accept the services and pay the debt, or try to contact the agency and see if they'll let me negotiate a buyout of the deal - a fee for whatever they have already done for me and relieve me of this debt. Two mitigating factors in each direction. First, I'm really bitter about how it all happened. How shady this company is in their pricing strategy, and how they expect somebody to make a major financial decision in a matter of a few minutes. I'm also dissapointed in myself for getting suckered into a bad deal. I just don't think I mentally and emotionally commit to doing this dating service right and feeling good about going out with anyone. I just don't want to do any more business with this company. On the other hand, I do have the support of my dad on this, who normally is really tight with money. He wants me to go through with the service, meet some women, and has offered to help me out with the debt, something he rarely does. $1800 is a lot of money to me right now, and even with my father's help, I still don't want to pay if there's a way I can get out of this deal at only a portion of the cost.

What do you think I should do?
"Just because I know how to get off a freeway doesn't mean I know how to get back on!" - Retard Joe

speedbird747BA

RE: I Need Help With A Debt

Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:16 pm

these guys sound like sheisters, if you ask me. as for the debt, own up to it, call it an expensive lesson. you DID sign the contract, and while it was terrible what they did, you made an obligation to them, the thieves.

Youll really learn from this one, but everybody has made really bad, big, money errors before.

Cheers,
Kyle
How long do I have to climb, up on the side of this mountain of mine?

UH60FtRucker

Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:26 pm

Quoting HPLASOps (Thread starter):

This is not going to come off very nice...

BUT GROW SOME BALLS!!

redflag   redflag   redflag 
A dating service!? You're a 21-25 year old male living in LAS VEGAS. The idea that you had to pay $1800 to get some loving, is absolutely insane. I don't care how lonely you might have been... you're in a city of 3+ million! It's not like Boise, Idaho -- where the pickings are slim! And not only did you pay for it... you paid ONE THOUSAND AND EIGHT HUNDRED DOLLARS! Holy Jesus Christ on a f*cking moped! $1800!  crazy 

And what's up with this huge reliance on your parents? Hey Junior, you're 21-25... it's time to grow some independence and leave the nest. Mama and Papa bear can't protect you for the rest of your life. This is solely your problem.

And this is a real winner:

First, I'm really bitter about how it all happened. How shady this company is in their pricing strategy, and how they expect somebody to make a major financial decision in a matter of a few minutes.

You SIGNED A CONTRACT. Does that mean anything to you?

I don't care if you signed away one kidney, a half a lung, and a testicle... you signed a legitimate contract. That my friend... is called life. It's called responsibly.

If you make mistakes like this... just wait until you buy a car. Or get married and go to the bank for a house mortgage. People want to screw you and take as much of your money as they can possibly get! Again - you're 21-25 - YOU SHOULD KNOW THAT!

This company PWND you. You need to suck it up and realize how foolish it was to even go to to that company in the first place.

And, If you have any sense of responsibility, you won't pass this $1800 debt off on your dad.  no   Angry

This is your mess. Live and learn from it.

You got PWND.

-UH60
Your men have to follow your orders. They don't have to go to your funeral.

HPLASOps
Topic Author

Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:43 pm

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 2):
A dating service!? You're a 21-25 year old male living in LAS VEGAS. The idea that you had to pay $1800 to get some loving, is absolutely insane.

Not really, Vegas may have quantity, but I don't know about quality. I'm not a party animal, having a drink or 50 with friends is my idea of a good time, I hate clubs and what they stand for, and believe it or not, I'm not really interested in the idea of just banging a girl and forgetting about it the next day, that's not me.

Hey Junior, you're 21-25... it's time to grow some independence and leave the nest.

I am 25, I do live by myself, but I do stay in contact with them and maintain a healthy relationship, believe me, the last thing I want is to mooch off of them for the rest of my life.

you won't pass this $1800 debt off on your dad.

I'm not "passing" this debt on my dad, he has merely offered to pay the credit card company so interest does not accrue, and I will pay him back as I can afford to. He is not going to pay this off for me.

You SIGNED A CONTRACT. Does that mean anything to you?

Yes, I am well aware of contract law. My goal in disputing would be to see if this company has any kind of heart and will agree to alternate terms.

If you make mistakes like this... just wait until you buy a car. Or get married and go to the bank for a house mortgage.

There's a big difference between buying a house or car or getting married and what I did. With buying a house or car, prices are advertised in plenty beforehand, and you know exactly if and how much is affordable to someone before even walking into the showroom to shop. And of course, with marriage, it is commonly known that you are getting involved in a lifetime committment and that you should be sure that she is the right one. But with this dating agency, no information of that type is offered until they are ready for you to sign, so no one can prepare ahead of time to know if it is a good decision for them.
"Just because I know how to get off a freeway doesn't mean I know how to get back on!" - Retard Joe

MUWarriors

Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:04 pm

Just for my own curiosity, this sounds a lot like something a friend did, "It's Just Lunch," he was pissed too. Really it sucks, but as a rule of thumb, never sign any sort of contract on anything until you thought it over, and are absolutely positive you are willing to pay for it. If they are that pushy, just walk away there are other options. Honestly I say learn from the mistake, pay off the debt, and have fun on some of the dates.

It's not like Boise, Idaho -- where the pickings are slim!

Hey now, I live in Boise, as do 500,000 others (in the metro area), and the pickings aren't that slim (although keep in mind that I just moved from Alaska, so anything is a wide variety at this point  Wink).

UH60FtRucker

Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:09 pm

Quoting HPLASOps (Reply 3):
Not really, Vegas may have quantity, but I don't know about quality. I'm not a party animal, having a drink or 50 with friends is my idea of a good time, I hate clubs and what they stand for, and believe it or not, I'm not really interested in the idea of just banging a girl and forgetting about it the next day, that's not me.

redflag 

Don't pull that crap. It's a major city. You don't have to be a party animal, or a club hopper, to find a girl. There are so many different opportunities available you... you just need to be assertive. If you honestly think that you - a resident of LAS VEGAS - needs a dating service, well you have bigger problems. Like a lack of self-esteem. You don't need to pay $1800 to find love.

I am 25, I do live by myself, but I do stay in contact with them and maintain a healthy relationship, believe me, the last thing I want is to mooch off of them for the rest of my life.

I didn't say anything about you having a close relationship with your parents. That's a great thing.

It's the fact that you're even CONSIDERING allowing your dad to pay this debt for you. Talk about an insult to your manhood. You're 25 and daddy needs to come rescue you.  crazy 

This is YOUR debt. This is YOUR responsibility. And this is YOUR duty to be true to your word and pay the bill you signed a lawful contract for.

I'm not "passing" this debt on my dad, he has merely offered to pay the credit card company so interest does not accrue, and I will pay him back as I can afford to. He is not going to pay this off for me.

WTF?

Don't you get it - if you're unable to afford this debt... then you should have never signed the contract IN THE FIRST PLACE!! Again - we're back to an issue of personal responsibility!!!

This is your mistake - YOU have pay it off. It might mean you'll have to stop paying for your anet account, visit the movies less often, downgrade from premium to basic cable.

But you do what you have to do in order to pay off your debt. You don't let your dad do it for you. Even if you're "gonna pay him back." Because if you can't afford to pay it now - you should have never signed the contract.

That my friend - is called Lesson #1 in Personal Finances 101

Yes, I am well aware of contract law. My goal in disputing would be to see if this company has any kind of heart and will agree to alternate terms.

YOU'RE NOT ENTITLED TO IT.

You signed the contract. You even admit to being rushed. You even admit that the contract is solid and covers their asses really well.

This all on you. You made a very bad decision when you signed that contract... but YOU SIGNED it nonetheless. And now you want them to help you out?

This is a reoccurring pattern with you. You want you dad to help you. You want this company to help out. You want A.net to help out. Well start by helping yourself out.  Yeah sure

There's a big difference between buying a house or car or getting married and what I did.

No, there's not.

The Army makes all incoming soldiers go to personal finance classes - where they teach them stuff like this. It's one of the biggest failings of the public school system for not doing the same.

How you act in regards to this thread defines how you will act in the future.

Granted this isn't on the same scale as a mortgage or a car loan... but it's the same basic principle.

Your actions today, define you tomorrow.

You renege on this contract - or you allow your dad to pay it off for you... you will not have learned anything... and I guarantee you'll do this again the future.

---------------------------

I know I sound like a real jack-ass. But you need to learn this life lessons NOW - because you're 25yrs old now... that's 7rs behind schedule. You have a lot of catching up to do.

-UH60

itsjustme

Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:12 pm

Use the service. It's paid for. Not using it would just add insult to injury. And chalk the experience up to a lesson learned. The fact that they willingly reduced their price by nearly 75% just from you asking them to do it should have sent up all kinds of warning signs. What if you had walked into a car dealership and they showed you a car with a sticker price of $6000 and just by you asking for a lower price, reduced it to $1800. Wouldn't you think there might be something they're not telling you about the car?

As for being 21-25, living in LAS and using a dating service - who cares? I work with guys (and girls) who live in areas that are probably a lot better suited for meeting date material (LA, Santa Monica, Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, etc...) than the area you're in and a lot of them use a dating service as well. It's all about whatever works for you.

speedbird747BA

Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:22 pm

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 5):
It's one of the biggest failings of the public school system for not doing the same.

redflag  I had to take a little course called ' Life Management Skills' , and, if i remember, we covered this pretty thoroughly. maybe our little friend here would have done well to take that course.

Cheers,
Kyle

UH60FtRucker

Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:22 pm

Quoting Itsjustme (Reply 6):

As for being 21-25, living in LAS and using a dating service - who cares?

I'll tell you why it matters... because it costs $1800!

This is more than just a dating service, a poor decision, and crappy debt. This has everything to do with people who consistently make poor financial decisions and attempt live beyond their financial means. HPLASops is a representative of a growing segment in the American society.

You don't take on a debt, that you can't afford.

The problem is, today it was only a $1800 dating service debt... but tomorrow it will be some scumbag car salesman who suckers him into buying a vehicle $10,000 outside of his budget. And a decade from now, he'll be screwed by his bank when he agrees to sign a mortgage with a 20% interest rate.

You don't need to go to a dating service. You don't need to piss $1800 down the drain. That to me indicates a very immature person - a person who makes very poor financial decisions - a person not ready to make big life decisions.

That's why it's so important y'all stop coddling him like a baby, and let him learn this hard lesson. He f*cked up - let him learn from it.

-UH60

speedbird747BA

Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:25 pm

wow we posted at the EXACT SAME TIME. thats one ive never seen before, hats off to us.
:D

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 8):

I guess I always thought that everyone had common sense. oh well.

Cheers,
Kyle

HPLASOps
Topic Author

Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:36 pm

YOU'RE NOT ENTITLED TO IT.

I'm not entitled to asking for a favor, a little sympathy, to ask a business to not be heartless? I realize they have no obligation to budge, but I believe I have the right to ask.

This all on you. You made a very bad decision when you signed that contract... but YOU SIGNED it nonetheless. And now you want them to help you out?

No, I want them to practice good business. I want them to know how ruthless they are and make them rethink they way they go about making a sale.

The Army makes all incoming soldiers go to personal finance classes - where they teach them stuff like this. It's one of the biggest failings of the public school system for not doing the same.

I agree with you on the public schooling aspect, but I still manage my finances very well. I do a good job of knowing how many assests I have, current cash available, and my regular debts. I also understand the value of saving for the future, contributing to an IRA account, and livin withing my own means. What makes this business cruel is they try to put a price on human emotion, something I've never had to do and had no idea how much it was worth to me, and I made a bad decision.

It's the fact that you're even CONSIDERING allowing your dad to pay this debt for you.

Why pay more than necessary? I've been blessed with an opportunity to avoid paying the interest on a large debt. I've been fortunate to avoid significant debts in my life and the opportunity to pay them off without interest. I don't need to be spending $2400 to pay off an $1800 debt and if I have an opportunity to save $600, I don't see the harm in avoiding it. I know if I incur a large debt in the future, I may not be as fortunate with avoiding interest, and well, I'll deal with it if and when it happens, but this would be about saving money.

There are so many different opportunities available you... you just need to be assertive. If you honestly think that you - a resident of LAS VEGAS - needs a dating service, well you have bigger problems.

I have had more dating success in smaller towns than bigger cities. In fact, I might be moving to a small town in Texas next month if I get the job. I'll be happier there, I know for sure. Not everyone loves the "action" and "excitement" Vegas supposedly offers. It's a lonely city where most people don't talk to each other, civic pride is minimum, and most people work odd shifts (like myself) that makes it harder to meet new people.

HPLASOps
Topic Author

Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:39 pm

For the record, I do have enough cash in my checking account right now to pay off the debt in full, however, I would not be able to spend much on anything else. I'm not worried about whether I can pay it relatively quickly or not, just concerned whether I should pay it or fight it.

itsjustme

Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:53 pm

Quoting Itsjustme (Reply 6):

As for being 21-25, living in LAS and using a dating service - who cares?

I'll tell you why it matters... because it costs $1800!

This is more than just a dating service, a poor decision, and crappy debt. This has everything to do with people who consistently make poor financial decisions and attempt live beyond their financial means. HPLASops is a representative of a growing segment in the American society.

Chill out man. He knows he fucked up - why are you dwelling on it? Did it cost you $1800? No, so let it go.
As for him being a representative of a growing segment in the American society, do you have some sort of source to back that up or is that just an opinion? I'm not saying it is or it isn't, I'm just curious what you're basing that rather broad statement on. Actually, I'm even more curious why you are so vocal (for lack of a better term) about what this guy did. Sounds like he hit a nerve or something. Just like a LOT of people are doing all over the country, regardless of where they live, he chose to use a dating service as an avenue to meet people. Hell, if I were in the market, I might go that route myself. Sure beats meeting some whack job at a bar or being set up with some chick who's a friend of a friend and "has a really good personality" (but whose looks could knock a buzzard off a shit wagon), or having to resort to dating someone I work with.
So what gives? Why are you busting this guy's balls?

UH60FtRucker

Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:09 pm

Quoting HPLASOps (Reply 10):
I'm not entitled to asking for a favor, a little sympathy, to ask a business to not be heartless? I realize they have no obligation to budge, but I believe I have the right to ask.

Er.... no... I'm not sure where it's written down, "HPLASOps, hereby has the right to bitch to a company he foolishly paid $1800 too."

You made a poor decision. I really can't dumb that statement down any further.

Go ahead and ask them.... I suppose it couldn't hurt. But when they laugh in your face - and they will laugh in your face - you have no right to be angry at anyone but yourself. This is entirely of your making. They sucked you in... but you were stupid enough to allow it.

No, I want them to practice good business. I want them to know how ruthless they are and make them rethink they way they go about making a sale.

Holy Moses and Abraham! SAY WHAT!?

"RUTHLESS" business practices??! Maybe you're first clue should have been the charge of $1800!! You gave them - legally - $1800!! HELLO! MCFLY! ANYONE IN THERE?!?

THIS IS CALLED LIFE! Every company will gladly take your money if you are foolish enough to give it to them! If they charged you for something not stated in the contract, or if they breached their contract... then you have a case. Otherwise, you have nothing. All you have if yourself to blame.

What makes this business cruel is they try to put a price on human emotion, something I've never had to do and had no idea how much it was worth to me, and I made a bad decision.

Dude... I am seriously losing faith in you.  no 

"A price on human emotion." Hey, buddy, didn't you realize this BEFORE you went in there? If anyone is putting a price on human emotions... IT'S YOU! You're the one paying $1800 for love!!

YOU signed the contract. There is nothing cruel about what the business did. I can't believe you would even try to argue that! Come'on!  Angry

I've been blessed with an opportunity to avoid paying the interest on a large debt.

talktothehand 

No. No. No. NO!

When you signed that contract, you knew you were assuming a $1800 debt. You put it on your credit card - so that tells us, you knew you were assuming the interest rates that accompanied this purchase.

YOU CREATED THIS MONSTER. It is so unbelievably pathetic to run to daddy and have him bail you out. Especially when you can afford to pay the debt... you just don't want to pay it fairly.

This isn't life or death. This isn't like you wouldn't be able to survive if you had to pay this loan off yourself. This is you... being lazy and spoiled... and feeling entitled to daddy's money.

This is how you will live the rest of your life - a dependent. Whether it's dad or the federal government. You will always feel like you are entitled for assistance from others.

You're 25... you need to grow out of this. You're already 7 years late.

I've been fortunate to avoid significant debts in my life and the opportunity to pay them off without interest. I don't need to be spending $2400 to pay off an $1800 debt and if I have an opportunity to save $600, I don't see the harm in avoiding it. I know if I incur a large debt in the future, I may not be as fortunate with avoiding interest, and well, I'll deal with it if and when it happens, but this would be about saving money.

WHOA WHOA WHOA  redflag 

I don't feel any remorse for you. You should pay this debt off - pay it off YOURSELF - because you created it. You made a very poor decision and now it is your responsibility (does that word mean anything to you?) to pay this off.

And what you just said here, totally makes your earlier comment total bullsh*t:

but I still manage my finances very well.

Nope! Sorry - you don't! Because if you walked into this without realizing the ramifications, that indicates an immature thought process. This indicates that you're just jumping blind into $1800 debts without even thinking it through. You even admitted to allowing yourself to being rushed.

In fact, I might be moving to a small town in Texas next month if I get the job

Wait a minute.... you paid $1800 on a THIRTEEN MONTH contract... when you knew you might be moving in a month?

W... T... F... ?  crazy 

YOU JUST SAID YOU WERE VERY FINANCIALLY RESPONSIBLE!! HELLO! You don't take on huge debts when you know you might be leaving town! Why would you want to date a LAS girl... when you're leaving town!? Why would you do ANY of this!?

That's the big question! WHY!? You just keep getting worse and worse. I don't believe it!

You gotta grow up, dude.

-UH60

HPLASOps
Topic Author

Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:26 pm

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 13):
Wait a minute.... you paid $1800 on a THIRTEEN MONTH contract... when you knew you might be moving in a month?

Go back and reread the original post. This deal was done back in September. I was not aware of this potential job opportunity back then - that came up in late October. But I have always been open to the idea of leaving Las Vegas, and one of the questions I asked was if it was transferrable to a different city should I move, and yes, that was within the scope of the contract.

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 13):
Because if you walked into this without realizing the ramifications

Um, like I said earlier, there was no waying of finding out beforehand what kind of price range I was getting into. They keep their prices very secret until it is time to sign. I didn't know anyone who had tried their services and therefore, hand absolutely no way of knowing ahead of time what I was getting into. I had an educated guess, it turned out to be higher than my guess, but they told me an amount that teased me. Reference this statement:

well, maybe I could afford this, all I'd have to do is sacrafice this and this, and well, I need a spark in my life.

It was a brief moment of weakness they took advantage of that - doesn't mean I'm an idiot that can't manage myself.

Now you're just being an asshole.

UH60FtRucker

Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:28 pm

Quoting HPLASOps (Reply 11):

For the record, I do have enough cash in my checking account right now to pay off the debt in full, however, I would not be able to spend much on anything else. I'm not worried about whether I can pay it relatively quickly or not, just concerned whether I should pay it or fight it.

Again... that's all something you should have thought about prior to signing the contract.

"Do I have enough money for this?"

"Can I afford the interest rates on my credit card?"

"Am I willing to pay $1800 for this service?"

And now, after the fact, you've changed your mind and regret the decision. But it's TOO LATE.

You don't excuse your prior failures, you correct them.

Quoting Itsjustme (Reply 12):
Sounds like he hit a nerve or something.

It absolutely did hit a nerve. Because it's pathetic. And I'm not talking about solely him... I'm talking about in general. It's the same way with one of my E2 privates... who continually did things without properly thinking them through. It's not the fact that we make mistakes - we all do and will - but it's how we deal with those mistakes that define and shape our core.

He posted this on anet because he wanted advice or sympathy... or maybe both. But he's refusing to assume any personal responsibility for his actions. "The company was ruthless." "They put a price on human emotions." "I talked to a lawyer." "My dad will help pay off the debt."

If he's gonna share that - then he assumes the good and the bad that accompanies it.

And part of the "bad" is being told that he's royally f*cking up. Because how he handles this situation will be indicative of how he acts in future situations. He can suffer the pain and pay off the loan - and all the while kicking himself for being dumb and promising never to do it again. OR he can blame the company, have dad bail him out, and never learn what he ought to have learned.

He's 25... not 14. Making excuses for your failures is whole heartedly unacceptable and he's lucky he's not in the military.

Quoting Itsjustme (Reply 12):
As for him being a representative of a growing segment in the American society, do you have some sort of source to back that up or is that just an opinion?

You want facts... I'll be MORE THAN HAPPY to talk about them. But in a separate thread, the discussions would be totally off topic from this thread. Lets start a separate thread discussing the insane amount of annual personal bankruptcies in the US. Lets start a separate thread discussing the increasing dependence on credit among the American consumer. Lets talk about how the consumer society encourages people borrowing far beyond what they ought to. Look at the rate of second mortgages or home equity loans. Look at the refusal of consumers to buy more efficient vehicles... opting instead for the $40,000 Suburban SUV for the 1 kid and the dog.

I'll be glad to debate it - but not here.

-UH60

[Edited 2006-11-28 08:37:16]

saxdiva

Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:29 pm

Hmm.

Your biggest faux pas, I think, was in disputing the charge before making a real effort to negotiate something with the agency, especially since you really didn't have much of a leg to stand on. Prior to that, I might have suggested that you call one of the higher-ups at the agency, explain that you didn't think it through and that you simply cannot afford their services, and ask them if they would allow you to break the agreement for some part of the total fee. Yeah, you might have been out a few hundred bucks, but that would have been better for you than being out the entire $1800 AND having the people at this agency--who you've asked to find you a suitable mate, remember--thinking you're a jerk.

Since you've probably poisoned the waters, though, I think you might need to go make nice with these people and hope they don't send you a bunch of witches out of vindictiveness. If you wanted to become even more unpopular, I suppose you could call your lawyer friend see if there's a loophole in the contract that would allow you to sue the agency and get your money back. Trouble is, it's not really enough money to make it worth an attorney's time, and unless you can convince a judge you're less of a chump than you've portrayed yourself here, you'll likely end up right back where you started.

Good luck either way...
See terms for details....

UH60FtRucker

Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:34 pm

Quoting HPLASOps (Reply 14):
They keep their prices very secret until it is time to sign.

No they didn't! There is no way they told you the price of the service after you signed. You knew the price prior to signing the contract, don't even claim otherwise.

You went in, they gave you their song & dance, they told you the price, you said it was too much, and they graciously lowered it (I'll let you in on a secret... no one pays $3000, they lower the price to pretend like they're doing you a favor. It's a sales trick.) And then you signed the contract.

During that entire process you could have declined. Or are you adding "hostage takers" to the list of accusations you've spouted at them?

I'm sure they were pressuring you. But you were weak, you caved under their pressure, and you signed that contract knowing it would cost $1800. But the fact that you didn't properly think the finances of this deal all the way through , is YOUR fault, no one else's. Pay the freakin' money, learn the hard lesson, go on a few days, and get the hell out of Vegas in a month.

-UH60

[Edited 2006-11-28 08:39:04]

FlyingTexan

Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:51 pm

Whew! Rucker is right. You fucked up. It happens to the best of us. Sun comes up and the world moves around. Big deal. Sucker born every day.

Don't pull that crap. It's a major city. You don't have to be a party animal, or a club hopper, to find a girl. There are so many different opportunities available you

Dating in Las Vegas. I lived there 2003-2006. My girlfriends; one prostitute, one drug addict, one gambling addict, one sex addict, one released from the Federal Pen for bank robbery, one awaiting trial for bank robbery, one that thought NV means "North Virginia," and a few that just didn't work out.

LV has got quantity. But quality. Interesting - nonetheless - but much to be desired.

leaving Las Vegas

Less sharks. Maybe a good idea. Open your wings. Military is hiring.
"Wouldn't your boss like to fly home nonstop at 4:30 on a Friday afternoon?" -Airline Exec to Congressional Staffer

HPLASOps
Topic Author

Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:52 pm

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 17):
There is no way they told you the price of the service after you signed.

I didn't. I said they were a secret UNTIL it was time to sign. I'll spin it the other way. Look at it from the sake of competitive purity. Let's say that similar agencies that offer the same level of service keep their prices secret and flexible until it is time to purchase. Essentially, you're making the market a limited silent auction, and if you want the best deal they can offer you, you have to accept it then without shopping around. Otherwise, you're paying too much or giving up choice of supplier. That goes against the laws of fair competition and free market. I have the right to refuse their offer, yes, but I would not be getting the same offer if I chose to shop again later. That is why I believe it is a shady business practice.

saxdiva

Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:22 pm

Quoting HPLASOps (Reply 19):
I have the right to refuse their offer, yes, but I would not be getting the same offer if I chose to shop again later.

And if you really, truly believe that, you just earned a big fat "F" in Negotiation 101.

Simply put, learn to walk away and think things over. If they want your business, they'll honor the offer they made. If they don't, move on.
See terms for details....

nighthawk

Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:57 pm

Boy am I glad i wasnt drinking coffee when I read this thread, 'cause I would have literally spat it all over the screen in a fit of laughter when I read you paid $1800 for a dating service! Im sorry but my immediate reaction is just  rotfl 

Seriously........ EIGHTEEN HUNDRED DOLLARS????? What the bloody hell did you expect to receive for that? A mail order bride would probably have been cheaper! Given that the staff there probably work for minimum wage, lets say $10 an hour, that equates to about 180 hours of labour you just paid for. Do you really expect for someone to sit there for 180 hours (thats 4.5 weeks of work assuming a 40 hour week) searching for a date for you? Very much doubtful, they will throw you into a database, then the computer will search for a match every now and then and pop up with someone that matches your description of what you are looking for. There ends their job. And you paid $1800 for THAT?? Jesus, for that price I would be expecting them to pay for the damn wedding as well as just finding the date!

Lets put it into perspective, Match.com charges $20 for 6 months membership. They are going to offer exactly the same service as this company offers. For $1800 you could have had 45 YEARS worth of Match.com membership. Im sure you would have found a match in that time (infact if you dont find a match in 6 months you get 6 months free, giving you 90 years to find a match!)

And yet you paid $1800 for this service without even questioning it??? Does money have no value to you? I would seriously think long and hard before spending $1800 on anything, let alone on a SERVICE where you are not even getting a tangeable object!

Anyway, im going to stop rabbling and start laughing again instead.  rotfl 

Seriously, they saw you coming a mile away! Go look in the mirror, and make sure you dont have idiot tattoo'd on your head, because it sure looks like it from here!

NIKV69

Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:48 pm

You were right the first time. You should have walked out when you first heard the price.

As for what you should do now. You have two options. Head down LVB and make a left at Treasure Island and go down till you see the Chinese writing on all the buildings and look for the storefronts that say "massage" your 1800 would have gone much farther there. Or hit the gym hard, get a nice tan and go to the pool at the Hard Rock. You will find the same girls you would have found at this dating agency. If you want to find a nice wholesome girl your in the wrong town. You better move to Minnesota for that.
Nikon from day one, Nikon till I die.

JGPH1A

Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:05 pm

You don't need to pay $1800 to find love.

Cornish charges a small port-and-lemon and a packet of pork scratchings  Smile
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

ltbewr

Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:10 pm

You could have spent a lot more in a bad dating relationship. It is unfortunate that for many adults, places to meet someone for a meaningful relationship are few and one may have to seek alternatives that prey upon that problem.

I might suggest that you contact your state's consumer organization or city consumer authorities or State Attorney General's office and tell of your story as you were kinda ripped off. They probably lowered their price to keep you from ratting to the authorities and getting them on their back. You may not get any of your money back, but at least you could prevent others from being ripped off. For you, everybody makes mistakes that cost some money, but consider this a good lesson.
Perhaps taking night classes at the local college or High School sponsored program besides perhaps helping you improve your skills may also lead to potential contacts for the ladies in a sober and quiet place.

kmh1956

Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:11 pm

how they expect somebody to make a major financial decision in a matter of a few minutes

All you had to say was "I'd like to think about this first before signing anything"

With buying a house or car, prices are advertised in plenty beforehand,

She told you the cost before you signed, even "negotiated" a lower cost for you, yet you still signed the contract.

then she gets into the pricing. First she showed me a price of about $6,000. I should have got up and walked up right there, but like an idiot, I stuck around after I reminded her I worked for an airline. She went and talked to her boss and knocked the price down to $1800 for a 13 month contract (with $40/month dues).

You're contradicting yourself here.....first you say they keep their prices secret until signing time, but then say that she quoted you one price and then got you a lower price. Nobody was holding a gun to your head to sign the contract, nor were you under any legal obligation UNTIL you signed that contract. You had ample time to tell them you wanted to think about it before you put pen to paper.

Suck it up, dude, and call it one of life's llittle lessons.....and pay the debt yourself.
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

Pope

Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:09 pm

Quoting Speedbird747BA (Reply 7):
had to take a little course called ' Life Management Skills' , and, if i remember, we covered this pretty thoroughly. maybe our little friend here would have done well to take that course.

redflag 

I never took a class called life managment skills. My parents instilled a sense of work ethic and personal responsibility in me. I think that this BS notion of having a class for everything allows parents to believe that they can abdicate responsibility for raising THEIR kids to the public.

Jr needs to grow a pair, and fix his own problem. $1,800 bucks isn't an assload of money. In fact, if he worked nights and weekends at Wal-Mart over the holidays, he could probably put a big dent in it within a month. Instead he comes whinning to a.net and crawling to his parents. You got yourself in this mess, fix it.
Hypocrisy. It's the new black for liberals.

Kieron747

Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:22 pm

I think this is a classic case of someone who if they fell into a barrel full of tits they'd come out sucking their thumb.

Fella, you really really screwed up here! Best to listen to the advice, and take it like a man. You've paid now, so you may as well use the service you paid $1800 for!  rotfl 

Honestly, they must have seen you coming! Why did you opt for this way instead of something like Nighthawk suggested, match.com?

I can understand you desire for romance, and to find a lady, but $1800!!!

Anyway, as others have said, no one forced you to sign, you could have easily asked for time to think, call your parents, hell, you could have just walked right out of there!

We've all been in high pressure sales situations, when some twat is trying to sell you something yoe either don't need or don't want, but you just have to have the balls to walk away.

It's too bad this has happened to you, but I really wouldn't ask my Dad for the money. If this happened to me, I could easily tell you which rat's ass and which exit would be suggested to me for being such a complete and utter tool!

Sorry chief, suck it up, chalk it down to bad management and move on. It's not the end of the world.

Smile

Kieron747
Airliners.Net - The Jam Rag Of The Web.

HAWK21M

Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:23 pm

Learn from those Mistakes.Since You signed the Contract.Use the press Forewarn others about this.
Frankly speaking why do you need a Dating service.Join a club.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

yowza

Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:42 am

Um, you are aware of debt patterns and practices in the states right?

Sounds like you got yourself into a bit of a mess. May I suggest:

a) joining the US military, to temporarily skip town. I'm sure they would take you. Plus you might be able to fill the void of not having that special somebody, by torturing defenseless Iraqis.

b) head to the Mandalay Bay, fire up the 25$ min roulette table on a night that George is working. I went on two very sweet runs with him a couple weeks ago when I was down there.

YOWza

usnseallt82

Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:21 am

She went and talked to her boss and knocked the price down to $1800 for a 13 month contract (with $40/month dues)

Damn man.....you could have just used the $40 a month for a gym membership, gotten your ass in shape and then hit the town running.  yes 

If you signed a dotted line......YOU ARE OUT OF LUCK.

If not, dispute it if you want.
Crye me a river

IFEMaster

Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:01 am

I know I sound like a real jack-ass.

Don't berate yourself, Rucker. You sound like a sensible guy to me.

But you need to learn this life lessons NOW - because you're 25yrs old now... that's 7rs behind schedule. You have a lot of catching up to do.

checkmark  I was lucky enough that I ballsed up like this when I was 19 and found myself about $32,000 in CC debt. My dad was the hero of the situation - he REFUSED to lend me money to pay it off. He did, however, help me organize my finances and I paid every single penny of it off inside 3 years, plus interest.

I'm not entitled to asking for a favor, a little sympathy, to ask a business to not be heartless?

No, you're not. Business is business. The sooner you learn that the business world is a cut throat, ruthless, selfish environment, the sooner you'll be able to operate effectively in it. FFS...entitlement? You have none.

I want them to know how ruthless they are and make them rethink they way they go about making a sale.

See above. Ruthless comes with the territory. As a business owner, I've screwed my fair share of people over, simply because I know they would do the same to me if I didn't get there first. I've poached clients from the competition, I've sued ex-employees, and I've refused to assist or refund clients who didn't pay up. Why? Because I don't ever want to set a precedence or reputation of being a pussy who gets walked over. Welcome to the business world my friend.

Why pay more than necessary?

This is the single most laughable statement you've made in this thread. It's not about paying more or less than necessary, it's about taking personal responsibility for your actions and living with the consequences of your mistakes. If you accept your dad's offer, you're taking the cowardly way out.

I don't need to be spending $2400 to pay off an $1800 debt

Yes you do. If you agreed to the charge, the interest rates of the credit card, and the payment terms therein, this is what you live with. But, you state you could pay it off now. So pay it off; then you won't have to spend $2400 to pay off $1800 in debt.

I do have enough cash in my checking account right now to pay off the debt in full, however, I would not be able to spend much on anything else.

Boo frickin' hoo. So you won't be able to buy anything else? Tough shit. Learn your lesson, pay the consequence, and then get on with life and not make the same mistake again.

Honestly, those of you who sympathize with HPLASOps should be ashamed of yourselves. Yes, he fucked up. Yes, he realizes it. But it's quite clear that he does not want to accept responsibility or live with consequences, but in stead seek the easy way out of it. That smacks of yellow belly cowardice. Come on people, money will fuck people's lives up when it's not managed properly. The sooner people learn from their mistakes, small ones like this, and accept the consequences by grinning and bearing, the quicker they will adapt their approach to finances and begin making sound financial decisions in the future.
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

MUWarriors

Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:54 am

I realize they have no obligation to budge, but I believe I have the right to ask.

Which it sounds like you already did in the opening post:

I called up the agency when I got home and told them I wanted out - to which their attitude was "You signed a contract - too bad."

At that point you tried and failed, disputing the charge after that was just frivolous as you know. I agree you have a right, they said no, now you are stuck.

I don't see the harm in avoiding it. I know if I incur a large debt in the future, I may not be as fortunate with avoiding interest, and well, I'll deal with it if and when it happens, but this would be about saving money.

I'm 26, so pretty close age wise, and I would feel extremely guilty about passing any of my mistakes off on my dad, mom, or any family member. You can say it's about saving money, but it is also saving your own ass from having to pay for your mistakes. This is one thing that bugs me about my own generation, so many try to skirt their responsibilities, and their parents let them. Now if it were a matter of eating or not, sure my dad would help me out, but I would hear a long drawn out discussion about personal finance, and I would know that I deserve it.

But I have always been open to the idea of leaving Las Vegas, and one of the questions I asked was if it was transferrable to a different city should I move, and yes, that was within the scope of the contract.

Look, you clearly thought this through quite a bit. It may have been a couple of hours, but thinking about details like this shows it wasn't exactly spur of the moment.

Which should be a huge red flag, but you even noted that this isn't entirely true.

Essentially, you're making the market a limited silent auction, and if you want the best deal they can offer you, you have to accept it then without shopping around

Another red flag, hell if you wanted to consider it get the offer in writing, if they refuse, walk away. Honestly, if you are buying something that you can't afford to pay with cash on hand, it is something you need to stop and think about for a while before signing anything. I kinda felt bad for you at first, we all screw up. But getting parents to pay stuff off for you, and continuing to complain, I'm sorry, sack up and pay off the debt.

Mir

Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:44 am

For the record, I do have enough cash in my checking account right now to pay off the debt in full, however, I would not be able to spend much on anything else.

Define "spend much on anything else". If that means spending on basic food, clothing and shelter, than don't pay it off right away. If that means buying that big screen TV that you've really been wanting to get, then suck it up, forgo the stuff you don't really need, and pay it off. Increasing your debt so that you can buy non-essential things is not a smart move at all.

I'm not worried about whether I can pay it relatively quickly or not, just concerned whether I should pay it or fight it.

You'll spend more money trying to fight it than you would if you just accepted that you screwed up in a MAJOR way and paid it off. Either pay it off or use the money that you spent to get their services.

I don't dispute that the company you did business with is a very shady company, and you should spread the word about that, but you had no obligation to do business with them - you entered into a binding contract.

I've got to agree with UH60, IFEMaster and others: you made a bad decision, and you have to live with that decision. Trying to weasel your way out of it will only make things worse. I'm not even going to address the fact that you spent that amount of money on a dating agency.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

Tom in NO

Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:45 am

Quoting FlyingTexan (Reply 18):
Dating in Las Vegas. I lived there 2003-2006. My girlfriends; one prostitute, one drug addict, one gambling addict, one sex addict, one released from the Federal Pen for bank robbery, one awaiting trial for bank robbery, one that thought NV means "North Virginia," and a few that just didn't work out.

My good friend, you obviously got around out there. I'm a little worried though about that "and a few that just didn't work out" after comment. You saying that the hooker, the druggie, the ex-con, the space-case, etc looked promising?  wink 

Btw, when you coming back down this way?

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

bhmbaglock

Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:57 am

Quoting Saxdiva (Reply 20):
I have the right to refuse their offer, yes, but I would not be getting the same offer if I chose to shop again later.

And if you really, truly believe that, you just earned a big fat "F" in Negotiation 101.

checkmark  If he'd walked away the price would have been < $1000 the next day. It's the same as buying a car (or anything else), you have to be willing to walk away (and make the salesperson believe you) if you want the best price.

Also, I can't believe that nobody has pointed out that $1800 + $40/month could be used in LV towards a fair amount of time with some of the local rental units.
Where are all of my respected members going?

charlienorth

Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:15 am

my mom sighed and said nothing, which is her way of saying "You freaking idiot! Why did you make such a dumbass decision?"

Your mother is a wise woman,$1800 can get you a lot of lovin' in Vegas!!
Work hard fly right..don't understand it

miamiair

Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:16 am

If it F*cks, Floats or Flies....

Rent, don't buy.

You are SOL. But, since you paid for it, might as well use it. There must have been something there that made you sign on the dotted line.
Molon Labe - Proud member of SMASH

BigOrange

Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:16 am

You got robbed, but unlike the rest of the people on here I'm not going to lecture you!

See what they come up with as far as dates go. If it's a scam they are all going to be staged dates, and hopefully you can tell that.

Next time you're feeling lonely pay for MSN chat or something. It's always possible you'll find someone on there.

I was always the same as you, shy and never getting a date or getting a date and being stood up. Back in the day AOL chat was decent and I got talking to someone in NY State, I was still living in England. She became smitten very quickly, and I flew over to spend a week with her and see how things worked out. I'm now 9 years into my "life" sentence and although I've had some regrets in the past, I wouldn't change a thing.

Good luck in your quest for that someone special in your life, and don't worry thinking you're past it. I was 29!

ITGeek

Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:19 am

I'd add that your second mistake was posting your first mistake to this forum.  flamed   wink 

We all make decisions that we later regret. Chalk it up to another life lesson and move on. And who knows, you may find the love of your life and the  dollarsign   dollarsign   dollarsign  will have been worth it.
Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt

ScarletHarlot

Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:49 am

But with this dating agency, no information of that type is offered until they are ready for you to sign, so no one can prepare ahead of time to know if it is a good decision for them.

Then you walk out. Why on earth did you sign the contract without full information? Why did you sign a contract if you can't know if it's a good decision for you?

The company you worked with is set up to catch suckers and they caught a good big one with you.

I want them to know how ruthless they are and make them rethink they way they go about making a sale.

Sure! They just got $1800 out of you - as someone said above 45 YEARS of Match.com - and you are going to make them rethink this? They'll nod, say "mmhmm" and when you leave they'll laugh their asses off and know that everything is going just as they planned.

And - you're going to have your dad bail you out? I think I see why you have not had any luck with the ladies - it's because you have no balls.
But that was when I ruled the world

RobertNL070

Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:57 am

Hmmm, although I might express myself more mildly, I'm with UH60 et al on this.

In your profile we learn: "Occupation: Ops agent for HP; part time gigolo". If you really are a part time gigolo then it should be you raking in the money, not some sharp dating agency.

Idiot.

Robert  bouncy 
Born to be wild ...... until about 9 p.m.
Home = RTM, Rotterdam The Hague.

NIKV69

Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:09 am

Quoting ScarletHarlot (Reply 40):
The company you worked with is set up to catch suckers and they caught a good big one with you.

Ouch.. Brutal but the truth usually is.

checkmark 

I still say the Hard Rock is your best bet!
Nikon from day one, Nikon till I die.

Birdwatching

Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:28 am

OH PLEASE!

Am I the only one who feels *any* sympathy with Derek? I can't believe that this thread is at 42 replies and all you do is bash him like there's no tomorrow. Yes, stupid things do happen, bloody expensive stupid things happen, but hey, let's move on, ok? Derek did not post this for us to help him with the case or give him legal advice, he posted this mainly for some community support, we're a community, right? A community that is unified by a common interest, aviation? A community where we have helped each other so many times in the past, think about Lew, or Kaz, people who came with their problems and the community has helped soothe their sorrows, giving moral support, calming them, talking to them in a constructive manner? I know exactly how Derek feels, he feels like somebody who has had something stolen from them, money in this case, anybody who has been stolen from should know that feeling. And you IDIOMS, pardon my french, have nothing better to do than laugh your asses off? I bet you're just happy that it didn't happen to you.

Seriously, the attitude of some people in this thread is beyond anything I've ever seen. My friggin pet rock could be more sensitive than you, and heck I don't even have a pet rock.

Soren  santahat 
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

charlienorth

Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:14 am

Quoting RobertNL070 (Reply 41):
In your profile we learn: "Occupation: Ops agent for HP; part time gigolo". If you really are a part time gigolo then it should be you raking in the money, not some sharp dating agency.

I think the Gigolo thing is pretty much dead now
Work hard fly right..don't understand it

Mir

Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:27 am

Quoting Birdwatching (Reply 43):
Am I the only one who feels *any* sympathy with Derek?

I feel some sympathy, but I also believe that sometimes tough love is the way to go.

-Mir

EDIT for grammar

[Edited 2006-11-29 00:27:52]
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

ScarletHarlot

Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:32 am

I would feel sympathy for him if he had not whined and moaned about how it really isn't his fault. The evil company swindled him into a bad contract. They didn't give him time to read the contract. He had to sign it without full information. But hey! His daddy will help him with the money. See, he doesn't really feel like paying for it. But he didn't have the money anyway. Well, maybe he does, but then he can't 'spend much on anything else'.

If he had come on here and said "I made a mistake. Do you think there's any way I can get out of this?" and then, when he heard Aharon say no, take responsibility, I would have much more sympathy for him.
But that was when I ruled the world

UH60FtRucker

Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:53 am

Derek did not post this for us to help him with the case or give him legal advice, he posted this mainly for some community support

So... he's not looking for advice. ... Just attention. Ok got it.

No, Itsjustme seemed a little sympathetic.

Look I'll use a military example - because it's what I know best. I'm the weapons qual. guy in my unit. And I think of this along the lines of when a young private coming straight out of basic training, and we go out to the range for weapons qualification. If he has decent shooting form, he holds the weapon properly, squeezes the trigger properly... then we don't have to re-invent the wheel. We can build off of his solid foundation and work towards fine tuning his marksmanship.

But if I get a young private who is a very poor shot, and has learned some bad shooting habits, I am going to have to spend a lot of extra with him. I am going to have to re-teach him the basics. But there's a problem - you also have to reteach him his shooting instinct. Because it's human nature to fall back on the original way you learned something when you're under stress. So soldier might learn the proper way to shoot in the peace-time environment... but as soon as bullets start flying, he reverts back to his bad habits. That's very bad.

And granted bullets will never be flying over HPLASOps's head... but what happens when he's sitting at a desk in the bank. The loan officer is pushing a $300,000 home mortgage with an insane interest rate, and his wife is sitting at his side saying, "Oh sweety, I really love this house. Lets take this deal." When he's under pressure, how he going to react?

That's why it's so important he does this right. The lessons he will learn from this will either make or break him. When he has that $300,000 loan in front of him, will he say,

"Hmmm... remember that dating sevice disaster? Yeah, that was a huge mistake and a real pain to pay off. Maybe I should slow down and not give into their pressure."

Or will he say:

"Hmmm... remember that dating service slip-up? It was tight for a short period, but Dad came and bailed me out. Plus, that company was ruthless and it really wasn't my fault to begin with. If I screw this one up, I'll be ok. I'm always ok... it'll work itself out."

It's all about training. What he does today, shapes tomorrow.

-UH60

HPLASOps
Topic Author

Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:32 am

Quoting RobertNL070 (Reply 41):
In your profile we learn: "Occupation: Ops agent for HP; part time gigolo".

I also listed flinging poo, midget tossing, and naked ping pong as hobbies; I'm very proud of my wierd sense of humor, thank you.

Quoting BigOrange (Reply 38):
Next time you're feeling lonely pay for MSN chat or something. It's always possible you'll find someone on there.

The reason why I went to this agency in the first place was because I have tried the internet route before and have had many forgettable experiences. I was willing to spend a little more than what I would pay for an internet site to get better results. I knew this was a full service agency and I did expect the price to be higher than match.com or eharmony.com or any other ripoff like that.

Derek did not post this for us to help him with the case or give him legal advice, he posted this mainly for some community support, we're a community, right?

I'm getting flamed so bad, I'm already at 2nd degree burns. It is justified, I know this is my goof, I made PT Barnum smile, etc. Funny how so many of you equate "mental toughness" and "life lessons" with accepting that I lost this one and pay up, when my heart still believes there's a chance I may not have to pay the full amount. Oh well. Serves me right for asking on here.

Queso

Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:34 am

I agree 110% with UH60FtRucker, he's gotta have a built-in bullshit detector. Add another to your RU, UH.

Maybe. Some of us have had to work our asses off all our lives just to get by. HPLASOps' only saving grace in this whole situation is that he has someone around him who can financially bail his ass out in an instant, a luxury not available to everyone. Let him suck it up and learn some responsibility. It's called a "character building experience".