Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Boeing777/747
Topic Author

Quebec Is a 'Nation'. Flagcarrier Due?

Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:20 pm

The Canadian province Quebec is declared 'independent'. Opportunities for new airlines with a more 'Quebec'-signature: one-language culture, strong nationalistic liveries, flagcarrier?

EurostarVA

Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:26 pm

Hold your horses.

Let's not forget the fate of other "nationalistic" airlines such as Quebecair and a host of others who adopted a 'flag carrier' status for the province of Quebec.

I see it could work again on a regional basis, or low-cost model offering incredible airfares to a host of regional/North American/holiday destinations...
If there is a will, there is a way

jonty

Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:53 pm

Wait a minute: Its not independent, but has been recognised as a nation within a united Canada, so no difference basically - its a symbolic gesture!

donder10

Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:56 pm

A touch ironic seeing as AC is based in Montreal!

Boeing777/747
Topic Author

Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:03 pm

Quoting Jonty (Reply 2):
Wait a minute: Its not independent, but has been recognised as a nation within a united Canada, so no difference basically - its a symbolic gesture!

True, true. That's why I stated 'independent' between two commas. Sorry for the confusion.

CPDC10-30

Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:15 pm

Quebec hasn't been recognized as a nation, the Quebecois people have been.

There are already two major airlines based in Quebec, Air Canada and Air Transat. Given that the vast majority of their passengers come from outside that province I don't ever see those two changing their flags. And last time I checked Quebec doesn't have a civil aviation registry.

It would only ever work for a small regional or charter airline that served Quebec only.

jamincan

Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:11 pm

Yes, Quebecois have been declared a nation, not unlike how the aboriginals are the First Nations. The has largely been panned as a political maneuver devoid of any meaning, but I suppose that's up to the courts to ultimately decide. As for a flag carriers, they could have done that already without independence. Provincially owned transportation is more noticeable with rail: Ontario Northland and BC Rail being the two examples that come to mind. I know that First Air is own by one of the First Nations, I think the people in Inuvik, but I'm not sure. I think Canadian North and Bearskin are also owned by First Nations, but I'm not entirely sure.

FlySSC

Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:29 pm

" VIVE LE QUEBEC LIBRE !!!! "

Charles de Gaulle - Montréal July 24. 1967

Sad I couldn't resist, sorry !  Wink

Even during its greatest years, QUEBECAIR never displayed the Quebec flag on its aircraft, but the Canadian flag :

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Pierre Langlois
View Large View Medium

Photo © Bill Sheridan

No "Quebec flag" either on the present Quebecair Express fleet :

View Large View Medium

Photo © Mathieu Pouliot

Too bad ! I love the Quebec flag !

voodoo

Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:37 pm

I may be corrected, but I believe Quebecair was largely run by Montreal Anglophones who may not have been seperatist supporters. Being Quebecois does not always mean that you support total independence.
` Yeaah! Baade 152! Trabi of the Sky! '

EurostarVA

Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:01 pm

Quoting Voodoo (Reply 8):
Being Quebecois does not always mean that you support total independence.

That's very true, but most francophone Quebecois Federalists/liberals tend to be concentrated in the Montreal area and are the ones who travel around the most (out of province and beyond).

Contrary to widespread belief outside Quebec and Canada in general, not all Quebecois are french-speaking. Some anglo-saxon English-speaking minorities with a settlement history as old as the French's exist in the Montreal region, Eastern townships, and along the border with the Maritimes provinces....

It's interesting to know Quebecair was owned by Anglophones... I'm from Montreal but I didnt even know that!

Yeah the idea of a Quebecois-branded low-cost is a wacko idea that might work. Imagine, only catering is poutine or tourtiere but of course u "gotta pay for dat misterrrr"  Smile
If there is a will, there is a way

aal0616

Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:22 pm

As stated above, Air Canada is headquartered at Montreal.

Enough said.

I believe the British won the so-called French and Indian War just before the American Revolution, which supposedly settled the matter of sovereignty, which was confirmed versus the Americans in the treaty ending the War of 1812. Otherwise, who knows, Quebec might have become the French speaking state of the USA rather than a province of the old Dominion of Canada? But I digress.

Is there any current rational economic model for a Montreal or Quebec-based carrier beyond a regional affiliate for a mainline operation?

Qb001

Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:24 pm

Quebecair was largely run by Montreal Anglophones

Not true.

The short Quebecair story is :
Began charter flights as Rimouski Aviation Syndicate in 1946. It merged in 1953 with Gulf Aviation Company under the name Quebecair. In 1953, it acquired Air Gaspé. It gave up its charter operations to Nationair in 1986 and was bought by Nordair Metro.

See http://www.al-airliners.be/p-r/quebecair/quebecair.htm

What this short story does not say is that Quebecair was essentially ditched by Michel Leblanc, the guy behind the Royal/Canada 3000 and JetsGo fiascos.
Never let the facts get in the way of a good theory.

lnglive1011yyz

Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:33 pm

Quoting Boeing777/747 (Thread starter):
The Canadian province Quebec is declared 'independent'. Opportunities for new airlines with a more 'Quebec'-signature: one-language culture, strong nationalistic liveries, flagcarrier?

Woah woah woah -- hold on here..

Quebec is STILL a Canadian Province, will always BE a Canadian province, and NOTHING has changed.

The ONLY thing that has changed, is that the Canadian Government has recognized that the QUEBEQOIS (the French PEOPLE of Quebec) are a Cultural NATION within Canada. Exactly the same type of distinction made for our Native people.

There is no new Nation on the face of the planet, and there will be NO new airlines because of this.

The ONLY national carrier in Quebec is Air Canada!

1011yyz
Pack your bags, we're going on a sympathy trip!

airbusfanyyz

Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:08 pm

Factually wrong title, and utterly useless thread. Suggested deletion.

Cheers,
Kaz

challiday

Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:36 pm

Quoting Lnglive1011yyz (Reply 12):
Woah woah woah -- hold on here..

Quebec is STILL a Canadian Province, will always BE a Canadian province, and NOTHING has changed.

The ONLY thing that has changed, is that the Canadian Government has recognized that the QUEBEQOIS (the French PEOPLE of Quebec) are a Cultural NATION within Canada. Exactly the same type of distinction made for our Native people.

There is no new Nation on the face of the planet, and there will be NO new airlines because of this.

The ONLY national carrier in Quebec is Air Canada!

1011yyz

Being from Montreal, I couldn't have said it better myself.

Quoting AirbusfanYYZ (Reply 13):
Factually wrong title, and utterly useless thread. Suggested deletion.

Cheers,
Kaz

I agree!

Might I suggest when talking about an issue such as this, that you know your facts before posting. Not trying to sound nasty, just saying.

ptugarin

Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:50 pm

Countries like India and Russia have many ethnic and cultural identities among themselves. In case of Russia, many of these have their own flag carriers (e.g. Sakha, Bashkir Airlines etc), although no one is talking about their independence from Russian Federation. Don't see why their couldn't be an airline that's marketed as "Quebecois Flag carrier" if someone finds this idea economically feasable.

FlySSC

Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:36 am

Quebec is STILL a Canadian Province, will always BE a Canadian province

Nothing is irreversible.
A new Referendum about Quebec independance is always possible, or, I should say, inevitable sooner or later.
So, never say never.

Why not ? Air Wales or Air Scotland are/were flying in the U.K, with their own flag, and I don't think it ever endanger the "integrity" of the Kingdom.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Art Brett - Photovation Images
View Large View Medium

Photo © Fred Seggie - WorldAirImages

Noise

Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:07 am

Wow there, Quebec is not 'independant' at all. Quebecers have rejected independence twice (1980 and 1995). The Canadian government simply recognizes Quebecers as a 'nation' within a strong and united Canada. Quebec is, and will always be, a province of Canada!

yooyoo

Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:17 am

Quoting AAL0616 (Reply 10):
As stated above, Air Canada is headquartered at Montreal

Isn't TS also HQ'd in Montreal?

Looks like the rest of Canada needs an Airline.  Wink
I am so smart, i am so smart... S-M-R-T... i mean S-M-A-R-T

challiday

Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:41 am

Quoting FlySSC (Reply 16):
Why not ? Air Wales or Air Scotland are/were flying in the U.K, with their own flag, and I don't think it ever endanger the "integrity" of the Kingdom.

Both Wales and Scotland are nations, more self-governing and independent then the province of Quebec is.

[Edited 2006-11-28 17:42:16]

CF188A

Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:22 am

Quite honestly.... good reddens to them. I hope our CF-18s are pulled out of Baggotville, I hope AC headquarters are transferred to Ottawa or Toronto, I hope that they can now stop bitching and taking time away from actual issues in this wonderful nation. They finally got what they wanted to good luck and good reddens. I also hope that we no longer have to speak french here in Ontario Smile My attitude because I am simply sick of the Quebec issue . This is not being decided for the best. Now that they have been granted some power, it will be bitch after bitch after bitch after complain after bitch .... for more money, for more recognition... etc. Quebec is funded better than almost all the provinces and territories combined. I find this utterly ridiculous. I hope they just sort themselves out and leave the rest of Canada out of their selfish and dim witted decisions. This could be a new problem for Air Canada?
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow~ RIP ... LJFM

airbusfanyyz

Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:36 am

Quebec is STILL a Canadian Province, will always BE a Canadian province

Nothing is irreversible.

Quebec was never independent therefore there is nothing for them to revert back to.

I can't believe the moderators are allowing this waste of a thread to continue.

Cheers,
Kaz

flyboy2001

Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:46 am

Quoting AAL0616 (Reply 10):
Is there any current rational economic model for a Montreal or Quebec-based carrier beyond a regional affiliate for a mainline operation?

You know, I doubt it but I have a feeling that if any "Quebec National Airline" ever did get going, AC would be instructed to squash them into oblivion in short order.

Quoting CF188A (Reply 20):
I am simply sick of the Quebec issue

Yeah, me too. I have a couple of Quebequois friends who moved to BC to get away from the divisiveness of that whole mess. I tend to agree with Jacques Villeneuve's comment that "they're trying to be more French than the French". The world needs more unity and less walls.

Good reddens...

I think you mean "riddance".
And you... Revolution, or just resistance?

yow

Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:59 am

They finally got what they wanted to good luck and good reddens. I also hope that we no longer have to speak french here in Ontario

That's a nice arrogant unilingual thing to say. I'm sure the +1/2 million Franco-Ontarians certainly appreciate your comment. Last time I checked knowning how to speak more than one language is an asset.

Now let's get rid of this useless thread and waste of bandwidth.

CF188A

RE: Quebec Is A 'Nation'. Flagcarrier Due?

Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:15 am

Quoting YOW (Reply 23):
That's a nice arrogant unilingual thing to say. I'm sure the +1/2 million Franco-Ontarians certainly appreciate your comment. Last time I checked knowning how to speak more than one language is an asset.

I will never work in Quebec
I will never work in France
I will never again take courses in french even though i can speak it partially(military)

It does not benefit any Ontarian unless they operate directly with people of that nation/province

Every individual who I know here in Ontario could care less if they knew French or not. There are not 1 and a half million who speak french here in greater Ontario. Perhaps in Ottawa... hence your post MY french teacher actually believed that it should not be considered one of Canada's languages. Canada also has to suffer from economic losses because many do not want to do business with the French being a main language here. So yes, good

Quoting Flyboy2001 (Reply 22):
riddance

and I hope it bites them right in the ....   I do not see Saskatchewan screaming wanting to separate because things arn't going their way? I don't see people in the bloody Yukon going insane? Why Quebec? I hope this works out for the best for Canada, not a selfish province who is trying to depress the image of what Canada really is. If you are one of those Quebec separation junkies then good

to you as well.

[Edited 2006-11-28 22:17:36]

bobnwa

Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:25 am

Quoting YooYoo (Reply 18):
Isn't TS also HQ'd in Montreal?

Please see reply 5.

LH459

Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:26 am

Quoting CF188A (Reply 24):
There are not 1 and half mission who speak french.

I think you meant million, and the post your referring to mentioned 1/2 million (not one and a half, that's one half million, or 500,000) francophone Ontarians in addition to the millions in Quebec. They are there. They didn't dissapear since yesterday.
Now, let's get back to talking about planes, shall we?
"I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is temporary; the evil it does is permanent" - Ghandi

gbfra

Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:37 am

From a foreigner's point of view I'm quite astonished to see how an obviously ironic start of this thread could create such turmoil. The underlying tensions still seem to be very strong in this beautiful country of yours.
The fundamental things apply as time goes by

threepoint

Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:42 am

I will never work in Quebec
I will never work in France

Lucky Quebec. Lucky France.

There are not 1 and a half million who speak french here in greater Ontario.

Well, I suppose to dispute your counter-claim, one would have to define the limits of "greater Ontario".

Canada also has to suffer from economic losses because many do not want to do business with the French being a main language here

Really? Which losses are those? Which 'many' are avoiding business due to the french language being official? Do you have any examples or is this an extension of your anti-francophone venom?

I hope our CF-18s are pulled out of Baggotville

Considering your username, I would have thought you'd know that some are based in Bagotville.

Please check your spelling (press "Check Spelling" above)
before pressing the Post button once.
The nice thing about a mistake is the pleasure it gives others.

ZBBYLW

Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:49 am

So instead of french what other language should we speak in Canada, Chinese or Indian??? French is a Language of Canada, IMHO i believe that every person leaving a Canadian school system should be 100% bilingual in French and English. Having a second language is an asset not a pain in the ass. If you were wondering i am not from Quebec, but from British Colombia, one of the more english provinces. For the record i do speak both english and french.

Cheers Chris
Keep the shinny side up!

lnglive1011yyz

Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:11 am

Nothing is irreversible.
A new Referendum about Quebec independance is always possible, or, I should say, inevitable sooner or later.
So, never say never.

You are fundamentally correct, however, I wouldn't say that it is inevitable. Quebec will never separate from Canada. They have absolutely no reason to.. Who else in the world would bow down to all their demands???? Even France turns a cold shoulder most of the time! Besides, once we're done taking all our resources out of Quebec, taking back all the Native land we gave Quebec to keep them happy, and reducing them to a very very small chunk of land, we'll just invade them with the US' Help Big grin

The semantics of the separatism ideology are really for another thread.

Again, Quebec is part of Canada. They are a Province within this beautiful country of ours. We do not need two flag carrying airlines.

And, the argument for Air Scotland/Wales is a weak one at that. Self governing. Quebec=under the Canadian flag.

End of story!!

1011yyz
Pack your bags, we're going on a sympathy trip!

CF188A

Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:44 am

Quoting Threepoint (Reply 28):
Please check your spelling (press "Check Spelling" above)
before pressing the Post button once.

So you happen to be one of those perfect people who take shots at those who have some spelling errors? Your profile says Age: 26-35 , uhhh huh

I hope our CF-18s are pulled out of Baggotville

Considering your username, I would have thought you'd know that some are based in Bagotville.

If I originally said I hope our CF-18s are pulled out of Bagotville.... then would it be common sense that I am aware of CF-18s being based in Bagotville? In response to what you said above about my spelling, well why don't you read more effectively not at the expense of me and my opinion... and make sense during your attempt to bash me  ? Thanks

Lucky Quebec. Lucky France.

and let them live happily ever after Smile

[Edited 2006-11-28 23:46:15]

voodoo

Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:55 am

----------
Quebecair was largely run by Montreal Anglophones

QB001 wrote (Reply 11):
Not true.
The short Quebecair story is :
Began charter flights as Rimouski Aviation Syndicate in 1946. It merged in 1953 with Gulf Aviation Company under the name Quebecair. In 1953, it acquired Air Gaspé. It gave up its charter operations to Nationair in 1986 and was bought by Nordair Metro.
See http://www.al-airliners.be/p-r/quebecair/quebecair.htm
What this short story does not say is that Quebecair was essentially ditched by Michel Leblanc, the guy behind the Royal/Canada 3000 and JetsGo fiascos.
---------

Well,
I think there was too-ing and fro-ing going on in the time-line which ended with Michel LeBlanc. I can now only quote from Larry Milberry's epic Air Transport in Canada(p.391):

"It was also fractious from a Quebecois point of view that from 1967 and 1969 respectively, Nordair and Quebecair were controlled by anglophone cliques, one headed by James Tooley, the other by Howard Webster. At this time Quebec nationalism was rising. It won a great victory with the election in 1976 of Rene Levesque's Parti Quebecois government. The PQ sought Quebec independence, and the survival of Quebecair as a national entity became a cause celebre for the PQ. Quebecair gained in nationalistic symbolism after 1979 when francophone Alfred Hamel took it over."
` Yeaah! Baade 152! Trabi of the Sky! '

threepoint

Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:15 am

Quoting CF188A (Reply 31):
I originally said I hope our CF-18s are pulled out of Bagotville

Bagotville is an air base in the Saguenay region of Quebec. Baggotville does not exist. I read very well thank you. Et toi?

Quoting CF188A (Reply 31):
Your profile says Age: 26-35 , uhhh huh

It does indeed. I am indeed.
The nice thing about a mistake is the pleasure it gives others.

CHI787ORD

Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:34 am

Quebec is its own nation, but not its own nation-state/state. There is a difference.

For instance, it can be argues that there is a nation of Kurds, however they do not have a Kurdish state.

WildcatYXU

Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:44 am

Gentlemen, this whole discussion is childish and doesn't belong here. I've suggested deletion.
223, 310, 319, 320, 321, 321N, 332, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 7M8, 739, 744, 752, 753, 762, 763, 77E, 77L, 77W, 788, 789, AT4, AT7, BEH, C402, CR2, CRA, CR7, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E45, E70, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, MD82, Saab 340, YAK40

CF188A

Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:48 am

Quoting Threepoint (Reply 33):
Bagotville is an air base in the Saguenay region of Quebec. Baggotville does not exist. I read very well thank you. Et toi?

yes ... the whole point was to say I hope the base is stripped of CANADIAN forces aircraft so they can work on their own accord. I hope Canadian CF-18s are pulled out of Bagotville, once again, your attempt to try and crucify me didn't go over as planned...seeing as how there is nothing wrong with what I posted. Thanks. ... try and make some sense next time Smile

http://www.airforce.forces.gc.ca/3wing/site/index_e.asp

"3 Wing Bagotville, home of the CF-18, is one of only two fighter bases in Canada. Located in Quebec's Saguenay region, it carries out air defence, combat support and search and rescue missions. "

Must have been hard to copy and paste something which proves absolutely nothing ... lol

Oh and for the record ... next time click that Check Spelling tab on the top left of this box. Bagotville is spelt with one G not two  Smile Have a nice day!

flyboy2001

Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:01 am

I will never again take courses in french even though i can speak it partially(military)

Good. Work on your English.

to you as well.

Ha ha ha... Seriously, Dude - you haven't lived long enough to be that angry.

Quoting ZBBYLW (Reply 29):
Having a second language is an asset not a pain in the ass.

Absolutely, I enjoy using the French I learned in school and dabbling in other languages, as well. It opens your mind and helps to break down the barriers between you and other cultures.
And you... Revolution, or just resistance?

CF188A

Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:16 am

Quoting Flyboy2001 (Reply 37):
Good. Work on your English.

after you work on acting like an adult Smile and not ridiculing people based of their typing errors Smile

Ha ha ha... Seriously, Dude - you haven't lived long enough to be that angry.

You do not know me nor the level of my education. You do not know what my endeavors are, you do not know anything Smile I actually learned in history that Einstein would often get lost as he ventured back home. But I guess a guy that makes a few spelling errors really is the lowest of the low . I thank you for your insight! Your judgemental type makes this world go round Smile I voiced my opinion and I will defend it Smile

Absolutely, I enjoy using the French I learned in school and dabbling in other languages, as well. It opens your mind and helps to break down the barriers between you and other cultures.

Go learn your history, and research how many Quebecois left Quebec in the late 1970s and the early 1980s Smile ....and why!  Smile

jamincan

Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:31 am

Quoting CF188A (Reply 36):
Oh and for the record ... next time click that Check Spelling tab on the top left of this box. Bagotville is spelt with one G not two   Have a nice day!

I think that's precisely the point he was trying to make, since you were the one who originally misspelled it. Also, if you had bothered to press the 'Check Spelling' link on your own post, you would have realized that, at least according to Airliners.net, 'Bagotville' isn't a correct spelling either. Spell checkers are a nice crutch, but they don't carry you very far.

Quite honestly.... good reddens to them. I hope our CF-18s are pulled out of Baggotville

yooyoo

Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:10 pm

Quoting Bobnwa (Reply 25):
Please see reply 5.

oh crap.

Thanks.  Wink
I am so smart, i am so smart... S-M-R-T... i mean S-M-A-R-T

AerospaceFan

Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:52 pm

I'm not sure why Harper found it necessary to say that Quebec was a nation. He obviously opposes separatism for Quebec, as I think he made clear. It's true that "nation" is different from "nation-state" and that there are plenty of "nations" that don't qualify under international law as states.

What Harper's comment suggests to me is the scenario in which a parent who, when confronted with the demand on the part of his young son to drive the expensive family car, tells him that while he's a "potential driver" of the family car, he will never be permitted drive it so long as the family owns it. Technically, it's true that the son is a "potential driver", but it's really a description that doesn't mean much in reality.
What's fair is fair.

emiratesa345

Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:32 pm

Quoting Jamincan (Reply 6):
Bearskin

I read about them today. Owned by two borthers, unfortunately they didn't mention their background.

Quoting CF188A (Reply 36):
Oh and for the record ... next time click that Check Spelling tab on the top left of this box. Bagotville is spelt with one G not two Smile Have a nice day!

Baggotville

You can't possibly be THAT stupid?

Mark
You and I were meant to fly, Air Canada!

skyservice_330

Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:48 am

The entire basis of this thread is false. Suggest Deletion.