Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Frontiercpt

RE: Christmas Is Ruined

Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:20 pm

Quoting L-188 (Reply 49):
Could be worse....my dog died last Friday.

Sorry to hear about your dog man. I lost my dog a few hours before my Grampa died, but she had been with me since I was five. It's too bad dogs can't have the same lifespan as humans, but that means we get to have the wonderful experience of that many more dogs in our lifetime  Smile

Ok I suck at this comfort stuff, I'm out lol

~Sean

GQfluffy

Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:40 pm

Quoting Legoguy (Reply 1):
I'm getting driving lessons

Lesson #1-
The letter "R" on that stick thingy means "Run".

Merry Christmas.  Silly
This isn't where I parked my car...

CO7e7

Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:48 pm

Where is the cargo bay for those who care?

legoguy

Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:49 pm

Quoting Willo (Reply 5):
So there'll be a car door to open then?

No, the lessons are enough for now. I doubt I will get a car for another few years. Best learn how to drive now and wait until I hit 21 so I get the cheaper insurance etc etc.

Quoting GQfluffy (Reply 51):
Lesson #1-
The letter "R" on that stick thingy means "Run".

What does the letter 'L' mean?  Silly
Can you say 'Beer Can' without sounding like a Jamaican saying 'Bacon'?

Toulouse

Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:38 pm

Quoting Cosec59 (Reply 2):
I'm afraid your attitude is the reason why I and a lot of others have come to dislike this time of year.

Well said, but don't let the egocentric attitude of some make you dislike Christmas time... I know it's heard with all the advertising etc. but a lot of nice and good things can happen at this time of the year.

Quoting Frontiercpt (Reply 7):
stack of bills

I know the feeling!

Quoting AirbusA346 (Reply 16):
So Rant Over and you can stop whining at me about people in poor countries.

Quoting AirbusA346 (Reply 21):
God I wish I never made this thread there has been 1 useful post from Cxsjr about Park Camera.

And the rest has been slagging me off

You know AirbusA346 or Tom, I was going to come and defend you, especially since you're in the 16-20 age group (hoping you're closer to the 16 mark), but after reading your response such as the above has made unfortunately made you appear to be exactly what others' have been accusing you of.

You know what I'm getting for Christmas... afaik, zilch, I haven't asked for anything, all I want is to get through this first Christmas without my father (I light two candles every night in his honour beside a little crib he gave me which was him mums', who was Italian, so the crib is at least 100 years old). Also I am looking forward to the joy of the first Christmas of my little son (1 at the end of Jan. so still a bit young to get the whole thing). Hey, I'm not saying I'm not expecting to get some gifts, but it doesn't matter.
And as other have said, think about the words of this well-known song at Christmas and see if it makes you finally realise just how fortunate you are!

It's Christmastime,
there's no need to be afraid
At Christmastime,
we let in light and we banish shade
And in our world of plenty
we can spread a smile of joy
Throw your arms around the world
at Christmastime

But say a prayer,
pray for the other ones
At Christmastime it's hard,
but when you're having fun
There's a world outside your window,
and it's a world of dread and fear
Where the only water flowing
is the bitter sting of tears
And the Christmas bells that ring there
are the clanging chimes of doom
Well tonight thank God it's them
instead of you

And there won't be snow in Africa this Christmastime
The greatest gift they'll get this year is life(Oooh)
Where nothing ever grows
No rain or rivers flow
Do they know it's Christmastime at all?

Here's to you raise a glass for everyone
Here's to them underneath that burning sun
Do they know it's Christmastime at all?

Feed the world
Feed the world
Feed the world
Let them know it's Christmastime again

Feed the world
Let them know it's Christmastime again
Nevertheless Tom, I'm glad you got your gift sorted, and hope you have learned a lesson into why your post has perhaps caused such a harsh response.

Merry Christmas all!
Long live Aer Lingus!

gkirk

Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:38 pm

Christ, give the guy a break you  grumpy  old  gits.  Yeah sure

Just because you lot have miserable lives doesn't give you any right to criticise the poor guy.

Geez...  Yeah sure
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

ZKSUJ

Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:52 pm

Count your blessings mate. There's always somebody worse off that yourself

David L

Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:04 pm

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 55):
Christ, give the guy a break

I agree. Did nobody see the eleven emoticons? If eleven emoticons can't prevent a post from being taken too literally then they might as well be scrapped.  Smile

Toulouse

Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:34 pm

Quoting David L (Reply 57):
agree. Did nobody see the eleven emoticons? If eleven emoticons can't prevent a post from being taken too literally then they might as well be scrapped

I agree. After thinking a bit about what I posted above, I felt a bit bad for AirbusA346, he was simply telling us that what he had been excited about getting (and come on, we all get excited about getting different things we want) something he wanted for Christmas.

In the Christmas spirit, let's all take a step back and go easy on him and hope gets what he wishes for, along with everyone else...
Long live Aer Lingus!

IFEMaster

Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:34 am

Quoting Toulouse (Reply 58):
I agree. After thinking a bit about what I posted above, I felt a bit bad for AirbusA346, he was simply telling us that what he had been excited about getting (and come on, we all get excited about getting different things we want) something he wanted for Christmas.

In the Christmas spirit, let's all take a step back and go easy on him and hope gets what he wishes for, along with everyone else...

1 x lump of coal with Tom's name on it.
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

jamesbuk

Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:43 am

Quoting Legoguy (Reply 53):
What does the letter 'L' mean?

Well thats one step up, it means Leg-it!

Yeh i think we were all a bit harsh on ya tom, but the fact that you said it was ruined. No it wasnt at the most it was postponed. and whats the fun opening something that you already no what it is? I normally ask for one thing, and then my parents have a blast looking for other things, as its one of there favourite parts of christmas.

Rgsd --James--
You cant have your cake and eat it... What the hells the point in having it then!!!

picturethis

Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:43 am

Think of the budgies,

Apparently stocks of Trill bird feed are unusually low this month.

And all you can think about is your camera bag.
Make sure they know we're playing the game, but we don't need to play the game because we've already won the game.

skidmarks

Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:10 pm

Wow!! What a thread.And I missed most of it!!

Tom, unlucky old son, but, shit happens and we live with it. Or in it in some cases!

Our Christmas is going to be a low-key affair this year. No expensive presents, no big familiy gathering and a bit of depression all round.

So, think on Tom, and all the rest of you. Not everyone always has the opportunity for big, shiny gifts to be swapped and gloated over. And not everyone has the luxury of their family and friends being around. Be grateful for the little things, big things are a bonus!! Big grin

santahat 

Andy  old 
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

CastleIsland

Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:27 pm

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 55):
Just because you lot have miserable lives doesn't give you any right to criticise the poor guy.

I have a most fantastic life, Kirkie, and that's exactly why I trashed his poor, disgusting rich-prick attitude. If you cannot find richness in the love you have with those that are important to you, all that's left is material shit. It appears that the material shit is all that Tom cares about. Sorry, that's fucking disgusting.

If eleven emoticons can't prevent a post from being taken too literally then they might as well be scrapped.

Bollocks. And you know it.

I have a girlfriend who lives 1,000 miles from me, and we spend our hard-earned money just getting to see one another for a few days a couple of times a month. That will change in the relatively near future, but for now, all I want for Christmas is a kiss from her, and I won't get that until December 28th.
"People don't do what they believe in, they just do what's most convenient, then they repent." - Dylan

[email protected]

Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:31 pm

Christmas ruined? Nonsense... we finally have proper snow here today. If anything Christmas may still be saved.  Wink

[email protected]
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

UK_Dispatcher

Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:40 pm

This thread has definatly given me a good laugh. I'm sure Tom did not realise what he was starting. I think the title 'Chistmas is Ruined' is what did it - as soon as I saw that I thought "ooh, this will be good!"

Seriously though, your priorities definately change at christmas as you get older. As a kid it was always me, me, me - only really interested in the presents. I am in my late twenties now and would be quite happy to go without any presents at all - the main thing is being able to go home, have xmas dinner and spend time with my family - especially now since I live abroad. Also, if someone was to ask me what I really want, I would struggle to come up with an answer. A decent camera would be nice, but I would not ask for it for xmas - I am old enough to buy that myself.

gkirk

Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:05 pm

Quoting CastleIsland (Reply 63):
I have a most fantastic life, Kirkie, and that's exactly why I trashed his poor, disgusting rich-prick attitude.

If you can't allow someone to be happy over Christmas, then that's your problem. Do you not remember how excited you got at christmas when you were younger (Fair enough, that was 100 years ago, but still)?
 duck 

Anyway, Xmas is just another reason for getting drunk.  Wink

IAH777

Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:14 pm

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 66):
Anyway, Xmas is just another reason for getting drunk.

Dude, Tuesday is an excuse for you to get drunk. Sponge!  mad 

gkirk

Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:16 pm

Quoting IAH777 (Reply 67):
Dude, Tuesday is an excuse for you to get drunk. Sponge! mad

As is Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday  Silly

IAH777

Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:21 pm

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 68):

At least you're consistent.  biggrin 

[email protected]

Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:24 pm

Stuck at work... snow pouring down outside... Passengers moaning over the "bloody weather"... yep, it's winter.  cloudnine 

[email protected]
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

David L

Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:27 pm

Quoting CastleIsland (Reply 63):
If eleven emoticons can't prevent a post from being taken too literally then they might as well be scrapped.

Bollocks. And you know it.

I think you just took the thread far too seriously. Eleven emoticons!

EMA747

Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:14 am

Does anyone else think this has gone on too long now? While I think Tom was wrong to start this topic and deserves a few adverse reactions I think attacking him has gone on enogh, he has surely learnt his lesson not to post silly topics again!

Could we not turn this topic into a new one on ideas and suggestions on worthwhile projects/scheems to donate to at this time of year? Loe's post about www.heifer.org/ was what I had in mind.

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 14):
Second, you know what I got in the mail today? A letter from a child that my wife and I sponsor in Senegal, thanking us for the extra money we sent to provide his family with a goat (and we only sent and extra $50). His words: "This gift that is small to you is the greatest gift we could have received.

This really did make me think.
While I dont defend Tom, if everyone who has posted to this silly topic had donated a pound to a charity we would have raised £71 at the time of writing this. This would be enought for a family to buy a goat like in IFEMasters post.

Anyway a happy Christmas to you ALL.  santahat   wave 

Andy S
Failing doesn’t make you a failure. Giving up and refusing to try again does!

Jaspike

Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:36 am

Quoting David L (Reply 71):
I think you just took the thread far too seriously. Eleven emoticons!

And? The emoticons were just showing what he was feeling in the post (crying emoticons: upset at not getting the stuff he wants). If it was a wink,  Wink, then we'd know he wasn't being serious. But it looks like he was.. and his further posts were on the subject of desperately wanting this stuff too:

Quoting AirbusA346 (Reply 21):
there has been 1 useful post from Cxsjr about Park Camera.

Braybuddy

Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:04 am

For those who say there are plenty of people in the world who will get nothing, of course that's tough, but that's no reason for AirbusA346 to not be disappointed if he can't get what HE wants.

Why do we wait till Christmas to compare ourselves with the poor of the world? They are poor the other 364 days too.

Was NOBODY in here EVER disappointed at sometime in their lives over a Christmas present?

[Edited 2006-12-16 17:07:32]

TPAnx

Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:14 am

IFEmaster,Jamesbuk,Lfutia and 9v--welcome to my RU list..#s 2-5. And the best to you for the holidays.
TPAnx  santahat 
I read the news today..oh boy

David L

Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:43 am

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 74):
Was NOBODY in here EVER disappointed at sometime in their lives over a Christmas present?

And I hope some of those above have never complained about anything unless it was the worst thing that ever happened to anyone.

Quoting Jaspike (Reply 73):
And? The emoticons were just showing what he was feeling in the post (crying emoticons: upset at not getting the stuff he wants).

If I was posting about something that seriously upset me, I certainly wouldn't add eleven frivolous emoticons.

CXA330300

Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:30 am

Isn't Christmas supposed to be a holy day? Celebrating the birth of a religious leader? Isn't it not supposed to be a day of unbridled materialism. Be grateful, for Christ's sake. (And this from a Jew)

Jonathan
Home airport now: DCA/IAD

egmcman

Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:45 am

I will just be happy to spend some time with my family as we nearly didn't have my Dad with us.

Braybuddy

Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:46 am

Quoting CXA330300 (Reply 77):
Isn't Christmas supposed to be a holy day? Celebrating the birth of a religious leader?

Why spoil Christmas by bringing religion into it?

IFEMaster

Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:05 am

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 79):
Why spoil Christmas by bringing religion into it?

laughing   cheers 
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978