Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

N243NW

RE: Tipping In USA

Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:42 pm

Quoting Yellowstone (Reply 23):
Generally, the best tippers are drunk people, and the worst ones are college students.

That strikes me as odd, since the two usually go hand-in-hand.  Wink

-N243NW Big grin
B-52s don't take off. They scare the ground away.

andz

Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:53 pm

On my first trip to the US in 1981 I stayed at the Doubletree Hotel on Post Oak in Houston. The fiirst morning when I went for breakfast I had to ask twice for milk for my coffee, the fried eggs were cold and the service was generally crap. I signed the bill and left, the waiter actually followed me out to the lobby and said the bill didn't include a service charge. He said "I can hear you're foreign, in the States you have to tip 20%." I said "I am foreign and where I live service charge means exactly that, you have to give decent service first." Needless to say he was not happy but tough shit.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

CastleIsland

Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:30 pm

While I will tip 15% for decent service and 20% for good service, here's the issue I have with tips:

They do not get accurately reported to the IRS. You can bet your ass on it. So these cats are making more $$$ than most because it's not reported. Throw a few thousand $$$ (at most; many in the hair dressing industry declare $500 in tips a year, when they make that in a month) on yer tax form, and they'll never notice. According to many I know in the bartending, waiter/waitress, and hairdressing industries, this is common, if not expected among peers.

So work your ass off, hourlies, and salaried, you'll get taxed at the full rate. Meanwhile, the service industry makes off with thousands in untaxed income. Yippie, so freaking glad I decided to become a scientist.
"People don't do what they believe in, they just do what's most convenient, then they repent." - Dylan

MXSUP

Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:19 pm

I hate tipping!!! It has gotten to the point that we need to just stop doing it altogether! Every store you go in has a tip jar, and people actually tip! How stupid is that, I go to subway, they make me a sandwich, I pay and leave. What have they done that deserves a tip? their job? I'm gonna put a tip jar on my desk, when I approve a vacation day I'll expect the mechanics to tip. I'll also have the mechanics put a tip jar on the jetway, so when they fix an aircraft on the line the passengers can throw some money there way!

Don't get me started on bartenders, I get a $3 beer and am expected to tip at least a buck! If you dont, man the looks you get and bad service! The whole thing is stupid. the only people I dont mind tipping are waiters/waitress's, they dont make crap and deserve something.

N1120A

Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:22 pm

Quoting CastleIsland (Reply 52):
They do not get accurately reported to the IRS. You can bet your ass on it. So these cats are making more $$$ than most because it's not reported. Throw a few thousand $$$ (at most; many in the hair dressing industry declare $500 in tips a year, when they make that in a month) on yer tax form, and they'll never notice. According to many I know in the bartending, waiter/waitress, and hairdressing industries, this is common, if not expected among peers.

So work your ass off, hourlies, and salaried, you'll get taxed at the full rate. Meanwhile, the service industry makes off with thousands in untaxed income. Yippie, so freaking glad I decided to become a scientist.

Apparently the IRS has gotten wise and will tax 7.5% of a waiter's checks. That means tipping less than that actually loses them money.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

WN2CMH

Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:54 pm

A few rules on restaurant tipping from a true insider...I have been in the industry for many years and am now in the managment of a high end restaurant. Disclaimer: These rules only apply in the United States and are only typical at a well managed establishment. This is not meant to insult any person/race/country/ect, I am just pointing out how the industry works.

1. Always remember that, in the USA, your server's "paycheck" probably says "VOID" on it because the $2.13/hr that they get paid is taken out in taxes. In some states, like Florida they get marginaly more, but only by a dollar or two. In other words they are living off of tips alone!

2. Your server works harder than many people ever have or ever will. The restaurant industry is a beast. You server is probably working a double without a break.

3. I know this is not the only case, but many people in the service industry do not give their best service to people from Europe because their past experience has taught them that there will be a marginal tip. They can devote their time to tables that will be more lucrative. (A side note, at many restaurants in which I have worked we have said, "Oh, God I have a table of Canadiens!" as a code for, "This table is not going to get my best effort because there will probably not be a decent tip at the end of it.")

4. If the service is bad enough that you don't feel you need to leave 15% then the manager needs to be informed! Maybe the server is having a bad day and needs to be sent home. Maybe he is just a little behind. Just let us know and any good manager will take care of the issue.

5. The service industry, in the USA, would be terrible without tipping. People are drawn to it for the money it offers.

6. If you become known as a good tipper (this applies mostly to high end establishments) your experience will be 10X what it would be otherwise. I have people, at my restuarant, that not only always get the best table, but get a discount just because my servers will stumble over each other to tend to their every need. In fact, just the other day, one of them mentioned that they would love to have some movie theatre popcorn. Their server went over to the movie theatre next door and got it for them.

Those are just my first 6 rules. I will get back here with some more.

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 12):
In high end establishments of course these folks make halfway decent money and the tips they get for their service give them an ok salary overall (though I couldn't live on it.)

DeltaGator, let me just say that my last year serving in a "high end" establishment, my take home income was in the "upper-middle class" area.

Many people will laugh at people in the service industry, but we don't call it the "Golden Handcuffs" for nothing. I served well after college, simply for the fact that anywhere I went to work was going to start me off in the mid 30's and I couldn't live on that.

Most people don't realize that the person serving them is making more than them! (Once again this only applies to high end establishments.)

Nich
Just LUV WN!

aaden

Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:07 pm

umm my friends used to work in a resturant and they have told me that tips for most waiters are worked into the bill.

at all pizza delivery places in the US there is a dollar or so added into the order.

sorry waiters if you want 15 percent of the check you can steal it out of the cash register

deltagator

Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:14 pm

Quoting WN2CMH (Reply 55):
DeltaGator, let me just say that my last year serving in a "high end" establishment, my take home income was in the "upper-middle class" area.

There are quite a few fancy schmancy dining establishments here in Atlanta where the wait staff have been employed for years because of this very thing. They make damn good money and are happy with what they do plus I suppose they get to meet famous and semi-famous people on a daily basis as part of their job.

Most people don't realize that the person serving them is making more than them! (Once again this only applies to high end establishments.)

Some days I think I'm in the wrong business and then I realize that working hard for a living is for the birds...or at least the waiters.  Wink Just kidding, I do bust my ass off as evidenced by me being up at 0300 continuing to work on an issue for a client while I should be on vacation.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

ryangooner

Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:25 pm

Now a question to the Americans that have visited europe

Do you tip at the bar/restuarant/taxi/hairdresser etc?

if so for the guys that tip 50% do you carry your standard over here (especially London) im eager to find out.

Ryan
ooh to ooh to be ooh to be a gooner!

Yellowstone

Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:09 pm

Oh, and by the way, from the pizza delivery driver standpoint: That $2.50 delivery surcharge is not our tip. That covers gasoline and insurance, both of which the employer is paying for. If you are driving your own car, and it gets better mileage than the company uses to calculate their reimbursements, you can keep some of that gas money, but not much with today's gas prices.
Hydrogen is an odorless, colorless gas which, given enough time, turns into people.

NeilYYZ

Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:19 pm

Quoting Ryangooner (Reply 58):

Yes, yes, yes and yes.

Hell, I'll tip just about anyone. Bar/Restaurant is a given, Taxi I feel I should, normally give about 5 bucks if the trip is under 30 CDN. The hairdresser always gets a tip, although my hairdresser only charges 10 CDN for a wash and cut, she's a little old Greek lady, so I give her 20 CDN, which is about what I'd pay elsewhere.
It may be too early to drink scotch... But it is NEVER too early to think about it...

sk601

Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:21 pm

but many people in the service industry do not give their best service to people from Europe because their past experience has taught them that there will be a marginal tip. They can devote their time to tables that will be more lucrative.

As a regular visitor to the USA, I never experienced this. Yes, I did have some rude servers, but then they were rude to the people at the other tables as well.
I must admit that I find it difficult to leave a tip, not so much the fact that I have to pay for service, but I prefer a clear bill, that says how much it is (like in The Netherlands). In The Netherlands -and many other Euro countries-"service" is included. Here I usually round up the bill, let's say the bill is Eur 72,- ,I pay Eur 80,-.

Molykote

Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:22 pm

Quoting AirxLiban (Reply 5):
Agree completely with the sentiment. In the US, waiters and waitresses expect tips when they really haven't done anything to really warrant it, at least by the definition that the rest of the world goes with.

checkmark  checkmark  checkmark  checkmark 

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 8):
As an American I tip the following...
1. Waiters - 20% if they refill my drink at least once and ask how things are going. More if they go above and beyond. You may not know this but waiters in America don't make full minimum wage so they depend on tips to add to their salary.

I eat at restaurants for at least 50% of my meals and have to say that the theoretical correlation between compensation and job performance is totally lost on most waitstaff.

The suggestion that waitstaff "make below minimum wage" is meaningless when considering the typical amount of money earned by waitstaff in a given amount of time.

My girlfriend is a graduate student currently working in the bar of a high end hotel (which pays nicely). She had also worked at a few other restaurants/bars (even at the college "dive" level) and never can I recall her typical compensation being less than $15 per hour at even the "dollar beer" college bars.

I see the good and the bad aspects of the service industry. I don't loose sleep over the possibility that a meaninful portion of waitstaff are under compensated.

Quoting Fbgdavidson (Reply 41):
Sure in your eyes the product was delivered but I'd compare it to buying an Audi A8 and it arriving 3months late with half the electronics not working and complete with a number of dents. Sure it's a car and it drives but it was far from a luxury experience that was expected, and what was paid for.

I'd be impressed with any German luxury sedan that has half the electronics working after 3 months!

On a more serious note, I'm on board with your tipping philosophy. I have no problem consistently tipping on the "generous side of fair" when the service and product meet my expectations (and will tip more so when my expectations are exceeded). I also give the waitstaff a chance to correct mistakes but by the same token I expect the waitstaff to be receptive and willing to address any problems I have with food or service.

When I make an effort to go out for a nice dinner I am paying for the experience as much as the food. A good restaurants product consists of food, atmosphere, and service. Food and service level are fair game criteria for increasing or decrasing a tip in my view.
Speedtape - The aspirin of aviation!

AerospaceFan

Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:10 am

Quoting QANTASforever (Thread starter):
I HATE tipping when I have no say in the matter. To be so arrogant as to assume you that your customer service is so freaking brilliant that you automatically charge a tip on the bill just blows my mind.

I'm with you in that I detest having to pay a tip. Anywhere I go in this country, except for places where they warn you that a 15% gratuity will be assessed for parties of more than, say, ten people, I feel absolutely free to determine the amount of any tip, or even whether to pay one.
What's fair is fair.

Yellowstone

Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:42 am

The other reason why they add the service charge for large parties is to avoid this situation:
"Did you pay the tip, Bob?"
"No, I thought you were going to do it. Sam, did you leave anything?
"Umm..."
Hydrogen is an odorless, colorless gas which, given enough time, turns into people.

fumanchewd

Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:27 am

The worst perpetrators of charging a preset tip are the big resorts. Order room service and they automatically charge 22-23% tip. 20% of the tip is automatically pooled into either shift or departamental monthly tip accounts and then split evenly. Marriotts and many others keep 2-3% of the tips despite also charging exhorbitant rates as well as service fees.

This system does work for the staff's benefit as drunks and people with expense accounts will usually tip ontop of the already charged 22%. I suppose it works well for the room service staff and business people could care less.

The people who are really screwed are individuals and families traveling. All in all, it is simply disgusting for Marriott and these resorts to forcibly take a percentage of the tips.

Marriott has some nice hotels, but it is a horrendous company to work for.
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey...

blrsea

Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:47 am

Congress should raise the minimum wage and ban the tips Big grin

AeroWesty

Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:30 am

Now a question to the Americans that have visited europe

Quoting SK601 (Reply 61):
In The Netherlands -and many other Euro countries-"service" is included.

If a bill says "service included", I'll generally not leave anything extra unless someone's gone out of their way--I would gather they'd pick up on that I'm American and think I'll tip anyway.

I do remember being in a restaurant in Holland once where something was printed at the bottom of the bill in Dutch and then scratched out. I didn't leave a tip because I expected it to be included, but the waitress gave me the evil eye as we were leaving, so what was probably was scratched out was "service included". I tip well, so I felt badly, but there wasn't anything that could be done about it then.

A friend in NY tips literally everyone. I was at her house when a table was delivered. No setup or anything was required, the guys just took it off the truck and brought it inside. She tipped them $20, even though she'd already paid a delivery charge. I wouldn't have tipped a delivery man here, but that's NY, I guess.
International Homo of Mystery

JAGflyer

Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:55 pm

Quoting NeilYYZ (Reply 49):

Reaaallly? At 16/Yonge? Not far from me, well 10-15 mins. I haven't been to King Henry's but Lone Star in the same plaza is a sweet restaurant. A few blocks up is London Pub, also very good.

[Edited 2006-12-19 04:58:09]
If you flew today, thank a Flight Dispatcher!

MUWarriors

Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:04 pm

Quoting Yellowstone (Reply 23):
P.S. I once had a guy try to tip me in beer. I politely declined.

Freshman year in college, my roomate and I always had the same delivery guy, "Lefty", and if we could barely scrape together enough for the pizza, with no tip left over, we always offered him a beer. He always accepted, and had a beer with us while we ate pizza. Good thing he walked the pizza over, he was drunk a lot of the time (apparently we weren't the only ones who did this). Ah college.

If I tip less than 15% I am talking a manager before I leave. Last weekend I tipped 50%because the bartender gave me a free pitcher/jug of beer (which cost more than my 50% tip). Now they give me my first drink on the house, and I tip accordingly. Good service pays for both parties.

FlyboyOz

Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:16 pm

QFF...this is AMERICA (and Canada too)!  Smile If you are young (15 to 21), forget about tipping but you're not young anymore (over 21) ...so you have to pay tip for them!  Smile However, if you are in the chinese restaurant in US, chinese people didnt mind about tipping.
The Spirit of AustraliAN - Longreach

max999

Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:41 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 8):
6. Barber - 10-15%

I suggest tipping the hair washer $1 per wash. For people with longer hair, it's best to tip more at a salon.

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 28):
You should meet my ex-fiance...she tips as if there was no tomorrow, even if we didnt have the money to do it.

Good for her for being so generous...not so good if she didn't have the money to do it.

Quoting Nancy (Reply 33):
When you go out to eat in the US you are expected to leave a tip.

A common complaint amongst service industry workers in NYC is the lack of tips from those unfamiliar with the 'tipping culture' in the US.

Quoting OzGlobal (Reply 39):
However, all you people saying 15% mustn't eat out in NY much. If you don't give 20% these days they look like they're about to call the cops!

I live in New York City and I only pay 15%. But maybe I'm oblivious to the bad looks the waiters give me.
All the things I really like to do are either immoral, illegal, or fattening.

BigOrange

Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:49 am

Quoting COIAH756CA (Reply 3):
I do the same. If the service sucked, then its 10%. 15%=normal. 20%=Great.

Same here.

If it's a hot waitress then I'll tip 30%

Cab drivers only get 10%, they are not worth any more, and if the NY cabbies don't abide by the rules posted in the cabs about no music, not going miles out of the way to add more to a cheap cab ride, they get nothing!

Car wash guys get nothing, their service sucks.

kaddyuk

Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:58 am

I'll hold my tongue on this subject after my experiences in Orlando in the summer...
Whoever said "laughter is the best medicine" never had Gonorrhea

ajd1992

Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:52 am

Quoting Andz (Reply 51):
On my first trip to the US in 1981 I stayed at the Doubletree Hotel on Post Oak in Houston. The fiirst morning when I went for breakfast I had to ask twice for milk for my coffee, the fried eggs were cold and the service was generally crap. I signed the bill and left, the waiter actually followed me out to the lobby and said the bill didn't include a service charge. He said "I can hear you're foreign, in the States you have to tip 20%." I said "I am foreign and where I live service charge means exactly that, you have to give decent service first." Needless to say he was not happy but tough shit.

On one hand... for that attitude he doesn't deserve a job, nevermind a tip. Secondly, fantastic comeback  Big grin  bigthumbsup 

JAGflyer

Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:10 am

Quoting BigOrange (Reply 72):

Car wash guys? You mean the guys that spray the car before you go in or the hand wash? For hand wash, if you dont like it, dont go. As for the guy that sprays your car before you go into the washing "tunnel" no need to tip. Doing something requiring effort gets a tip, not holding a hose over your car.

AeroWesty

Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:38 am

Quoting JAGflyer (Reply 75):
As for the guy that sprays your car before you go into the washing "tunnel" no need to tip. Doing something requiring effort gets a tip, not holding a hose over your car.

I always slipped the guy who handed me my keys a couple of bucks, and I assumed it was shared with the guys who did the wiping down. As a regular customer and tipper, they always did an excellent job after my car went through the tunnel.
International Homo of Mystery

VonRichtofen

Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:53 am

Quoting Copaair737 (Reply 24):
And lastly, Canadians are terrible. My favorite is that they will give you a quarter or something. What a bunch of momos.

I find this odd as tipping is the norm in Canada (around 15%) despite our much more humane wages. I used to be a bellhop a few years and I made $10/hr ($9 USD/hr) for a wage and also got tips. Waiters in Canada will be paid $7 to $11/hr depending on locality. In YYC it's around $10-$11/hour plus tips. You can actually make decent money as a server here, especially if you're female under 30 with a nice figure.

Kris

AerospaceFan

Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:08 am

Quoting VonRichtofen (Reply 77):
You can actually make decent money as a server here, especially if you're female under 30 with a nice figure.

Sexism does have its benefits, I guess.

Big grin
What's fair is fair.

deltagator

Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:13 am

Quoting Kaddyuk (Reply 73):
I'll hold my tongue on this subject after my experiences in Orlando in the summer...

You went in there as an uneducated twat and got what you deserved. You should have studied up a little bit on the culture and country you were visiting before making an ass of yourself.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

ORFflyer

Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:35 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 12):
and need those tips to make a living.

I agree, but they have to earn them....

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 26):
get their manager involved.

Always, but the problem here is that in a lot of places, the management isn't any more worried about customer service than they are about watching the clock....

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 26):
And also do keep it HOT in your mind that these people are DEPENDENT on your tip. It's not a nicety thing; it's not you being generous. It's you doing your part for the service they provide.

checkmark  - Again, they need to earn it though.

Now a question to the Americans that have visited europeDo you tip at the bar/restuarant/taxi/hairdresser etc?

All of the above, save the hairdresser.... being bald, I have little need for one of those.  Big grin A quick story. I'm in a little town called Weymouth. Go into a little bar called the Rolling Stone. Bartender looks exactly like Mick Jagger. Anyway, I order a Budweiser. He immediately says; Ah a yank. You won't like the first one too much, we don't drink it as cold as you like, so it's on the house. He then proceeded to fill a pail of Budweiser full of ice. The rest of the night I sat at the bar, drank COLD beer, and had great conversation with him and the locals. Needless to say, he got about 50%.

ClassicLover

Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:14 am

Quoting STLGph (Reply 13):
I tip like a big shot.

Period.

You are my Dad and I.

I generally tip in non-tipping countries anyway... I just find it grating to do so in the USA. Here's why -

Food, hotels and all the rest cost on par with the rest of the world. So where does all the money go? If you're paying staff $2.50 an hour, all the money must be profits. Capitalism gone mad!
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

iamcanadian

Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:42 am

Quoting FlyboyOz (Reply 70):
If you are young (15 to 21), forget about tipping

How does being "young" justify not tipping?

Quoting VonRichtofen (Reply 77):
In YYC it's around $10-$11/hour plus tips

Wow! In what restaraunts do the servers get paid $10-$11/hour PLUS tips? I'm not sure where you're getting your info from...
Shut up and calculate.

VonRichtofen

Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:51 pm

Quoting Iamcanadian (Reply 82):
In what restaraunts do the servers get paid $10-$11/hour PLUS tips? I'm not sure where you're getting your info from...

I'm getting my info from the servers that I know. On makes $11/hour plus tips (working at the airport Chilis) the other makes $10/hour plus tips working at a local Brewsters. I'm not sure if you've been jobhunting lately, but pretty much no job here pays less than $10/hour even if they make tips. Hell Wendy's at the end of my block starts at $11/hour. Where have you been for the last few years?

Kris

KaiGywer

Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:02 pm

Quoting Iamcanadian (Reply 82):
How does being "young" justify not tipping?

Limited income?
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

AerospaceFan

Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:56 pm

A few days ago, I withheld a tip after a brief lunch in which one of the servers rudely insisted that I sit at a faraway table rather than a counter. The reason he cited was that one needed to order from the counter in order to sit there, rather than order directly from an ordering and cashier station in the same facility. However, this unusual policy was posted nowhere in the restaurant. I was none too pleased, telling him that I had ordered the "dine-in" option and showing him the receipt that specifically said the same. He didn't seem to care. The argument lasted about half a minute, which, in context, is a lot longer than it sounds.

Rather than move, I ordered a second item, this time from the counter. This seemed to satisfy him, but, as it ended up, I found myself unable to enjoy the lunch. I ate and left after paying for the item without leaving a dime for the waiter.

The lack of notice provided of this "no seating" policy is what irked me. At virtually all locations I've been in in which a counter is provided, no one cares whether you order directly from the counter itself. Many is the time when I've strolled up to the cashier's station and ordered a coffee, for example, and sat myself at the counter next to it. In fact, the counter is usually considered less prestigious as a location than either a table or a booth, and therefore arguments concerning it are usually rare unless a customer resists sitting there, which is the opposite of what occurred in my case. Because the policy of this particular restaurant was different from the norm, it should have posted signs asking customers to sit at the counter only if they intended to order from there. (Nor is this an issue of leaving a tip in the usual case; my tip policy never varies whether I sit at a counter, table, or booth. If someone serves me in the usual course, the presumption is that they deserve a tip regardless of where I'm sitting.)

In this case, to make this clear, I filled out a comment card to this effect.

[Edited 2006-12-27 14:11:21]
What's fair is fair.

iamcanadian

Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:23 am

Quoting VonRichtofen (Reply 83):
Where have you been for the last few years?

I work at the Earls on 10 St. and 16 Ave. NW, and our servers do not get $10/hour plus tips... I suppose at a bar such as Brewsters, I could see servers getting paid more in wages, but maybe their tip-out (to the kitchen, bartender, etc.) is larger.

And yes, I understand the condition of the Calgary job market, but I just never heard about servers getting paid so much, as I only ever speak to the servers at my restaraunt.
Shut up and calculate.

VSlover

Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:54 am

i hate tipping. but being american its something i grew up with, and despite my total disataste for it, i tend to be a large tipper because i have had many friends who were waiters, or worked at hotels in nyc and so i cannot imagine how crappy the job must be.

i guess i tip more out of shame.

"oh, so sorry you have to do this, heres 30%"

of course, the other side of the coin is i expect excellent service out of these people because i am tipping them well after all.

WestJetForLife

Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:58 am

I tip, plain and simple.

Whenever we go into a restaurant, I always pull out a $5 bill and add it to the tip my dad or mom pays. If I have no $5 bills on me, then I give as much as I can.

The only time I don't tip is when the service is bad (certain Smitty's restaurants in BC come to mind).
I need a drink.

JAGflyer

Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:13 am

No reason for age to have to do with tipping. Does that mean if I drive a rusty beater car and shop at value village I dont have to tip either?

Totally irrelivant. If you cant afford to tip dont eat there.

deltagator

Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:58 am

Quoting JAGflyer (Reply 89):
No reason for age to have to do with tipping....Totally irrelivant. If you cant afford to tip dont eat there.

Since when did being a teenager and common sense go hand in hand? They could care less if they can afford to eat there if it makes them look cool not to have to depend on mommy and daddy to cook their meal.