Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

QANTASforever
Topic Author

Tipping In USA

Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:12 am

Okay - let me be clear:

I HATE tipping when I have no say in the matter. To be so arrogant as to assume you that your customer service is so freaking brilliant that you automatically charge a tip on the bill just blows my mind.

Tipping loses its significance if you automatically charge for it, or expect it from every bastard who comes along. It's supposed to be an added extra - a reward for good customer service.

Anyway - rant over.

Who do I tip in America? I hear cab drivers expect it (that'll be an interesting argument when I'm in New York), as do hotel workers and restaurants. So when the assholes don't automatically charge you, how do you work out how much to give? What formula will prevent me from being cussed out?

In the words of Jim Hacker, I think I'm going to have to "grit my teeth and bite the bullet".

QFF
Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

kmh1956

RE: Tipping In USA

Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:28 am

Restaurant workers and bartenders generally make crap wages and rely on tips to supplement their pay, and most places in the US actually DON'T add gratuities. If the service is fair/standard, I usually tip 15%. If the service is exemplary I will happily tip around or over 20%.

Cab drivers...much the same. If they help with bags, open the door instead of just sitting on thier duff waiting for you, etc....usually 15-20%.

If the service is crap and they give you that look that says where's my tip? Explain politely that had their service been friendlier or whatever then the tip would have been higher. Tell them it's a lesson in customer service you're giving them, and smile.
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

tz757300

Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:36 am

Well, I can speak for the restaurant business when servers should most definatly get tipped. Here, the min wage for waiters/waitresses is 2.50/hr. because tips are supposed to be basically the main income. 15% is standard, but if service warrants it, 20%+ is always appreciated. Only time I see people get automatically charged is when there are groups larger than 8. One person dealing with that many people at once should really get a little bit more due to the amount of service they need to provide.

coiah756ca

Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:37 am

Quoting Kmh1956 (Reply 1):
Restaurant workers and bartenders generally make crap wages and rely on tips to supplement their pay, and most places in the US actually DON'T add gratuities. If the service is fair/standard, I usually tip 15%. If the service is exemplary I will happily tip around or over 20%.

I do the same. If the service sucked, then its 10%. 15%=normal. 20%=Great.
Long live Denver-STAPLETON. RIP the old and best KDEN

ANCFlyer

Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:38 am

I don't know of a lot of places that automatically add gratuity for parties less than eight - sometimes 6 - as far as eating establishments.

And I've never once had a cabbie tell me he expects a tip.

A decent rule of thumb is 15-20% for reasonable, expected services. For above and beyond, I've tipped up to 50% - but only in places I frequent.

I generally put a $5 on the pillow in my hotel room, guarantees (99% of the time) my room some extra attention.

An interesting tactic a friend uses in restaurants/bars where service is poor - leave 50 cents . . . if you leave nothing, the server thinks you forgot, if you leave 50 cents occasionally they are smart enough to get the message.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

airxliban

Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:39 am

Agree completely with the sentiment. In the US, waiters and waitresses expect tips when they really haven't done anything to really warrant it, at least by the definition that the rest of the world goes with.

General rule, at least in restaurants, is to double the tax. I realise this doesn't always work if for example you're in NH, but at least in California, this is fairly common. In my county tax is 7.25% so I usually double the amount of the tax and then either round up or down, depending on what sorts of bills I am carying and what sort of change I want to end up with.
PARIS, FRANCE...THE BEIRUT OF EUROPE.

mbmbos

Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:43 am

Here's my formula:

Restaurants - 15 -20%
Hotel Maid Service - $5 per night
Any luggage handling - $1 per bag
Bartender - 10%
Cab - $2-3 under $30 fare; 10% for fares over $30
Concerige - variable, depending on how much they've helped me out.
Barber - $5 minimum.
"If I don't manage to fly, someone else will. The spirit wants only for there to be flying. As for who happens to do it, in that he has only a passing interest."
- R.M. Rilke

adopim88

Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:46 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 4):
An interesting tactic a friend uses in restaurants/bars where service is poor - leave 50 cents . . . if you leave nothing, the server thinks you forgot, if you leave 50 cents occasionally they are smart enough to get the message.

It sure does get the point across. I had a friend a long time ago who would leave 2 dimes and a nickel if the service was bad. Recently, the service was so horribly bad at a place we went, another friend of mine wrote a check, and in the "memo" line wrote: "Bad service=no tip". I'm sure that got the point across too!
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

deltagator

Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:47 am

Quoting QANTASforever (Thread starter):
I HATE tipping when I have no say in the matter. To be so arrogant as to assume you that your customer service is so freaking brilliant that you automatically charge a tip on the bill just blows my mind.

It annoys me as well. There is a Mexican restuarant in Atlanta that includes the tip for parties of 2 or more because their brothers from south of the border refuse to tip. I don't go there anymore because of that policy.

Who do I tip in America?

As an American I tip the following...
1. Waiters - 20% if they refill my drink at least once and ask how things are going. More if they go above and beyond. You may not know this but waiters in America don't make full minimum wage so they depend on tips to add to their salary.
2. Valet parking - $1
3. Bartenders - $1 for a couple of drinks, $2 if more than 4 drinks.
4. Taxi drivers - 10% usually though I probably tip more because I'm too lazy to do the math on the change and demand a dollar back or something. I usually just round up.
5. Hotel bellhops - $1 per bag
6. Barber - 10-15%
7. Fast food/Starbucks/Wherever they have a tip jar - Usually nothing. Especially at Starbucks where those little bastards make good money for dishing out crappy coffee. Sometime the spare change, sometimes a dollar if she's cute.

That's about it as I can't think of anyone else I tip for services.. I've never figured out the hotel staff other than the bellhops. I've left money for the cleaning crew but they never take it so I gave up on that one.

So when the assholes don't automatically charge you,

Simmer down Francis. I think you'll find these places few and far between in America unless you have more than 8 folks in your party.

[Edited 2006-12-17 19:49:07]
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

Daleaholic

Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:48 am

From experience, I would tip people who have done something worthwhile... e.g...

• A Balloon artist handing out shaped balloons for free... Tip em  Wink
  • Room service... Small tip  Wink Not like Home Alone though, Tip in money  Wink
  • Anybody who has done something which has made you or family/friends happy or has done something they wouldn't usually do, Give em a tip!  Wink

Just my take on tipping  Smile
Religion is an illusion of childhood... Outgrown under proper education.

ryangooner

Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:52 am

Tipping in the USA was my personal worst nightmare, but saying that, its only because i come from a society that doesnt require the tip therefore its not on my most to-do list when abroad.

However, when in Rome and all that....

I feel sorry for the waiters etc that are paid $2.50 per hour - why is this?
In the UK the waiters etc are at least on $7-10 per hour (maybe more?)

Now tipping in a bar in the UK is unheard of so imagine my disgust when im refused service in New York in a certain bar where i genuinely didnt have a clue! it resolved itself thanfully and i carried on! (Now with free shots every round! so...i guess its swings n roundabouts)

In Orlando at the airport - A porter takes my bags off a coach and dissapears, without permission to take my bags! I am reunited with them and they have been taken just inside the airport and dumped, i am then hunted out by the porter who says i owe him 4 dollars! daylight robbery!

Now im used to it as ive visited the US many times but spare a thought for us europeans where tipping is a very foreign experience (unless service warrants)

Ryan
ooh to ooh to be ooh to be a gooner!

ManuCH

Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:52 am

I don't know of a lot of places that automatically add gratuity for parties less than eight

During my last stay in New York, only one restaurant added gratuity automatically. And it was the only place where I'd have gladly left 50 cents because they needed a customer service lesson. It was crap to say the least. In all other restaurants where the tip wasn't added automatically I gladly tipped 15-20%.

-Manuel
Never trust a statistic you didn't fake yourself

deltagator

Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:53 am

Quoting AirxLiban (Reply 5):
In the US, waiters and waitresses expect tips when they really haven't done anything to really warrant it, at least by the definition that the rest of the world goes with.

But also in the US waiters make even less than the minimum wage and rely upon tips to add to their salary. In high end establishments of course these folks make halfway decent money and the tips they get for their service give them an ok salary overall (though I couldn't live on it.) But the folks who work at Longhorn, Olive Garden, or just about any casual sitdown dining place in the USA make well less than the Federal minimum wage and need those tips to make a living.

Yes it unlike any other country I can think of right now but that's how it's done in the US. If you don't like it then fine...don't leave a tip but don't expect good service if you go there again. What's the saying...when in Rome do as the Romans do. Tip in the US and we'll not tip when we visit your country.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

stlgph

Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:54 am

I tip like a big shot.

Period.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

Slovacek747

Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:57 am

On two occasions I've tipped a waitress a penny.. I flipped it right to them as I was walkin out. I'm pretty sure they got the idea  Smile

Also, I rarely tip for barbers. I saw someone mentioned they tipped a minimum of $5 for a haircut, which is great. I just dont do it when it takes all of 4 minutes to cut my hair.

Slovacek747

N231YE

Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:03 am

Quoting COIAH756CA (Reply 3):
If the service sucked, then its 10%. 15%=normal. 20%=Great.

Same here; only if the service really sucks (which I have experienced before), I am not afraid to leave no tip at all.

For above and beyond, I've tipped up to 50% - but only in places I frequent.

Ditto.

ajd1992

Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:07 am

Obviously I don't tip - my dad does that. Before at a restaurant he tipped £5 for a £90 meal (there was 7 of us though) In the US, usually he tips for good service - not because they expect it. Sometimes he does, others he doesn't. Expecting it in the UK is not something we do, waiters/waitresses are paid enough to live off. We don't tip: bar staff, bellboys (maybe that's just my family though) barbers.

KaiGywer

Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:09 am

Quoting Adopim88 (Reply 7):
Recently, the service was so horribly bad at a place we went, another friend of mine wrote a check, and in the "memo" line wrote: "Bad service=no tip". I'm sure that got the point across too!

Interestingly enough, that memo line was scratched out somewhere between the table and the bank  Wink
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

deltagator

Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:13 am

Quoting Ryangooner (Reply 10):
In Orlando at the airport - A porter takes my bags off a coach and dissapears, without permission to take my bags! I am reunited with them and they have been taken just inside the airport and dumped, i am then hunted out by the porter who says i owe him 4 dollars! daylight robbery!

Sounds more like the tour company you were with didn't tell you what was going to happen to your bags when you arrived at the airport. I'll agree it is pretty crappy to not even have a choice in what happens with your bags but I've got to fault the tour operator here...unless your group wasn't listening if they did announce the procedure.

comorin

Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:14 am

Quoting STLGph (Reply 13):
I tip like a big shot.

Me too! It makes a HUGE difference in places where you are a repeat customer. If you tip $25 instead of $20 at a lounge the marginal $5 is the best investment you'll make - doors open miraculously, waitstaff fuss over you and so on. Once, at a very Happy Hour at a bar, I tipped $100 for a drink. From that day on, the first Cosmo was always on the house - not bad, eh?

Having said that, I just finished tipping my condo staff $1,500 (17 people), garage $400, cleaning lady $300, and another $1,000 at the office for the building staff. This is much the norm in NYC, and I do feel like Scrooge around this time of year - it's money better spent on the homeless amongst us.

WildcatYXU

Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:59 am

Quoting AirxLiban (Reply 5):
General rule, at least in restaurants, is to double the tax.

Waiters in Ontario would love you. The two taxes together are 14%, so you would tip 28%. Not bad. Compared to you, i'm rude. I use the standard 15% formula.
223, 310, 319, 320, 321, 321N, 332, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 7M8, 739, 744, 752, 753, 762, 763, 77E, 77L, 77W, 788, 789, AT4, AT7, BEH, C402, CR2, CRA, CR7, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E45, E70, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, MD82, Saab 340, YAK40

hawaiian717

Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:27 am

Quoting WildcatYXU (Reply 20):
Waiters in Ontario would love you. The two taxes together are 14%, so you would tip 28%.

I don't know about AirxLiban, but in Ontario with 14% tax, I'd just take the tax amount and round up. Likewise in Hawaii where the tax is only 4.167%, I double the tax, then double the result (in other words, tax x 4) in order to get an approximate tip amount. It's not doubling the tax that automatically determines the tip amount, rather the 7.75% tax in California doubled gives a nice approximation of 15%, without having to think too hard.

QANTASforever
Topic Author

Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:40 am

Quoting Daleaholic (Reply 9):
Room service... Small tip Not like Home Alone though, Tip in money

I think you might be on to something there. Either that, or I'll give out greeting cards telling service staff that a donation has been made in their name to the human fund.

Thanks for the replies guys.

QFF
Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

Yellowstone

Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:42 am

As a former pizza delivery driver, here was how I judged tipping rates:
$0-1: they're a jerk
$2: they're a little cheap
$3: average, middle of the road tip
$4: above average
$5: definitely an extra thank you at the end
Above $5: really good tipper - if it's much over 5, ask them if they meant to give you that much (some guy accidentally gave me an extra 10 once)
The exception is for large orders (5+ pizzas), where I'd expect at least 5%. Maybe up to 10, if they are generous.
Generally, the best tippers are drunk people, and the worst ones are college students.

P.S. I once had a guy try to tip me in beer. I politely declined.

[Edited 2006-12-17 22:05:25]
Hydrogen is an odorless, colorless gas which, given enough time, turns into people.

copaair737

Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:57 am

I find that old people like to stiff you. I guess the times aren't that much different than the 1920's or 1940's in their minds. You never get anything from them. A dollar if you are lucky.
Mormons are cheap. Good luck getting a tip out of them. I guess Joseph Smith never made any sermons about tipping.
And lastly, Canadians are terrible. My favorite is that they will give you a quarter or something. What a bunch of momos.
Drunks tip well though. Anytime I helped out a drunk, I got a substantial reward.

-Copa
Livin' on Reds, Vitamin C, and Cocaine

iamcanadian

Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:12 am

Working in a restaurant (as a cook, not as a server), I see firsthand how much the servers depend on tips to sustain them. Most of them are working as servers because they are university students trying to pay for school, rent, and food/clothing. I hear the reactions when customers DON'T know how to tip, or if they just finished serving a party of 10+ and get tipped less than 10%.

Another factor in my tipping is my age. As an 18 year old, my demographic gets a bad reputation in the tipping department. Servers often assume (definitely not unwarranted assumptions, as many of my friends don't know how to tip, or they just don't bother) that they are NOT getting a tip. The service is not diminished in any way by my age, but at the end of the meal, it's always nice to see the look on the server's face when I tip AT LEAST 15%, most of the time 20-25%. This is because I know how much work goes into actually delivering satisfactory service in the middle of the dinner rush, while juggling 6 tables.

That's just my experience with tipping. But the common practice here (in Calgary/Alberta) is to double the tax, and then round up to the nearest dollar. That gives about 15%.
Shut up and calculate.

TedTAce

Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:23 am

Pay what you want along the lines of 15-20% for tolerable through decent service. If they REALLY shine it on and do EVERYTHING you need, consider going a good bit above 20, but if they suck leave them change change (coins) (under a $1) no matter how high the bill is. Don't discuss it, don't debate it.. if they are THAT bad; leave a bad tip and walk away.

That being said if they are that bad that you are going to leave them crap, get their manager involved. I had it happen where a waitress walked out on their shift and I was able to ensure that the tip I did leave went to the waitress who took over and deserved it not only for being a professional about the situation, but delivering excellent service compared to the twit who left.

And also do keep it HOT in your mind that these people are DEPENDENT on your tip. It's not a nicety thing; it's not you being generous. It's you doing your part for the service they provide.

Sure the resturants could charge you more and pay them more, but where is their incentive to do well?

[Edited 2006-12-17 22:26:47]
This space intentionally left blank

piercey

Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:34 am

Because, in theory, tips are almost standard in the US, so why pay them exact?

Listen, if they've done a [email protected] job, no tip. If they went beyond and above, large tip. If they're average, 15% thank you.
Well I believe it all is coming to an end. Oh well, I guess we are gonna pretend.

AirframeAS

Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:38 am

Quoting TZ757300 (Reply 2):
Only time I see people get automatically charged is when there are groups larger than 8.

This is true, when I was working at Planet Hollywood in Seattle (Now defunct) the gratuities are on the bill automatically at 18%. I have seen customers first hand pitch a fit over it before, it was out of our control...its automatic by the Macros computers.

Quoting STLGph (Reply 13):
I tip like a big shot.

You should meet my ex-fiance...she tips as if there was no tomorrow, even if we didnt have the money to do it.
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

iamcanadian

Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:45 am

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 26):
but if they suck leave them change change (coins) (under a $1) no matter how high the bill is. Don't discuss it, don't debate it.. if they are THAT bad; leave a bad tip and walk away.

I think that it needs to be understood that the way they "sucked" may not have been something that was the server's fault/something under their control. You need to remember that there are alot of people involved in getting the food to your table. Believe me, I feel bad for the servers when something goes wrong in the kitchen, and the server gets blamed for the length of time the food is getting to the table.

Also, if you go to a restaurant in a central part of the city between 5:30 and 7:00 PM on a Friday/Saturday night, you can expect that your food may take longer than it would if you went at 2:00 on a weekday. If you order a well-done 10 oz. steak, make sure you're willing to wait upwards of 25 minutes for it to be done. These are the kinds of things that people often file under "poor service" when in reality, these things have to be taken into account when dining out. Unfortunately, it is the server that shoulders the blame.

It's not a nicety thing; it's not you being generous. It's you doing your part for the service they provide.

checkmark 
Shut up and calculate.

deltairlines

Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:27 am

In general, I tip 15-20% for dining - 15% if the service is a little lacking, 20% if service is what I expect. If I receive great service, then I'll normally bump up to about 25%. Only time I've refused a tip is a place in New York once where I received horrible service - took the check, got the change, and walked right on out the door. Didn't even bother leaving a penny.

deltagator

Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:29 am

Quoting Iamcanadian (Reply 29):
I think that it needs to be understood that the way they "sucked" may not have been something that was the server's fault/something under their control. You need to remember that there are alot of people involved in getting the food to your table. Believe me, I feel bad for the servers when something goes wrong in the kitchen, and the server gets blamed for the length of time the food is getting to the table.

Very true. I suppose I'm one of the few who will enquire if something has happened and then act accordingly. If the kitchen has screwed up and the waiter does a good job keeping us updated with the problem and takes care of us with drinks and such they still get a good tip.

If the waiter is an all out schmuck and just plain rude then they get the pennies for the tip plus a conversation with the manager.

Quoting Iamcanadian (Reply 29):
If you order a well-done 10 oz. steak

If you do that you should be beaten for ruining a good piece of meat.  Wink

AeroWesty

Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:44 am

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 22):
I'll give out greeting cards telling service staff that a donation has been made in their name to the human fund.

That's just plain rude. If the service staff deserved a tip, then they deserve to say how it's spent.

There used to be a site called bitterwaitress.com that was a hilarious read about bad customers and tipping habits, but it seems to be offline now.
International Homo of Mystery

Nancy

Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:06 am

When you go out to eat in the US you are expected to leave a tip. It's not a surprise fee added, you know when you walk into the restaurant and engage the services of the staff that some type of tip is expected. You're basically stealing from the server if you don't tip and the service was acceptable. You won't get arrested, but to me it is ethically the same. That being said, if you get a meal in a diner and it's under $7.00 - for God's sake leave at least a dollar.

AirframeAS

Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:21 am

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 22):
Either that, or I'll give out greeting cards telling service staff that a donation has been made in their name to the human fund.

I hope you are joking.

I know that line came from an episode of Seinfeld when George was being 'cheap' about giving out christmas gifts at his work. Later on, George's boss wrote out a check for a huge sum of money, and George freaked out because the human fund was non-existant, made-up by George.

Jpax

Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:22 am

At Friendlys one time, I was the only one who ordered dessert out of a group of three, and it was off the kids menu, so it came to about $2.00, IIRC.

I felt akward leaving such a small amount if I followed %15, so I left $3.00...First and probably last time the tip will be bigger than the bill  Wink

fbgdavidson

Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:24 am

As a Brit who had spent a lot of time in the US before moving over here I have grown to have a strong dislike to tipping culture and how every possible situation that involves the service industry comes with a space for a tip. Everything from buying an ice cream to going to the grocery store.

The way I see it now is the price before tip is to pay for the food and drink and the 'tip' spot is for the manner in which it was delivered. I have no problems with tipping hefty percentages (not on the scale of Comorin though) for excellent service, although this is usually not in restaurant environments. I have however, and a number of times removed gratuities added to the tab. When in South Africa earlier in the year the wife and I went out for Valentines dinner at a nice hotel nearby. We arrived at the hotel at 7.30pm for a set menu, five course dinner for about a dozen tables. It took 45minutes for bread to arrive, and forty five minutes between courses after that. A number of couples got up and left and by the time we'd finished dessert it was almost midnight!! I almost threw a fit when the bill arrived with 18% gratuity added...The price of the meal was pretty pricey by South African standards and later I tried to contact the hotel to get the whole meal refunded (I've skipped over most of the details but it was an absolutely farcical evening) and nobody responded to phone calls or emails.

Also a couple of weeks ago the wife and I were out of town, at a small restaurant. Service was shoddy, took 30mins for the waitress to come and see what we wanted to drink/eat. by the time we'd had our one course and were ready to go we'd been there almost two hours! She got no tip with a note on the back of the receipt explaining why.

Because owners know they can get away with their customers footing the bill to keep their staff employed. Marvelous!

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 28):
You should meet my ex-fiance...she tips as if there was no tomorrow, even if we didnt have the money to do it.

biggrin  I quite often go out to drink with some of my wife's colleagues. One of them always tips 100% at bars.

And also do keep it HOT in your mind that these people are DEPENDENT on your tip. It's not a nicety thing; it's not you being generous. It's you doing your part for the service they provide.

Indeed, and so they should do a good job! Do a crap job and you don't get a dime. In reality it has to be pretty awful for me not to leave at least 10% tip at a restaurant.
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

AirframeAS

Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:29 am

Quoting Fbgdavidson (Reply 36):
Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 28):

I quite often go out to drink with some of my wife's colleagues. One of them always tips 100% at bars.

She does it even at Subway! Good Riddance!

N1120A

Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:43 am

Quoting TZ757300 (Reply 2):
Here, the min wage for waiters/waitresses is 2.50/hr.

The federal minimum, last time I checked, was $2.13 per hour. In some states, employers are required to pay more. In California, they have to pay at least the $6.75 (going up) minimum wage that all others get.

Quoting WildcatYXU (Reply 20):
Waiters in Ontario would love you. The two taxes together are 14%, so you would tip 28%. Not bad. Compared to you, i'm rude. I use the standard 15% formula.

He uses that rule because it makes sense in a state where taxes vary from 7.25 to 8.25 percent. When I am in Ontario, I add the GST and PST and round the small change up.

Quoting Hawaiian717 (Reply 21):
rather the 7.75% tax in California doubled gives a nice approximation of 15%,

The tax in California varies from 7.25 to 8.25 percent (might go as high as 8.5 in San Francisco).
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

ozglobal

Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:02 am

I hate the tipping economy in the US too, but 'when in Rome' as other's have said is the necessary attitude. I remind myself they don't eat unless I tip.

However, all you people saying 15% mustn't eat out in NY much. If you don't give 20% these days they look like they're about to call the cops!
When all's said and done, there'll be more said than done.

kmh1956

Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:40 am

I tried to contact the hotel to get the whole meal refunded

You ate it, you pay for it. Don't pay the tip if it isn't warranted, but the meal was consumed. You are obliged to pay for that.

If there was an issue with service you should have discussed it with management there and then, not go back later and try to get money back.
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

fbgdavidson

Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:33 am

Quoting Kmh1956 (Reply 40):
You ate it, you pay for it. Don't pay the tip if it isn't warranted, but the meal was consumed. You are obliged to pay for that.

If there was an issue with service you should have discussed it with management there and then, not go back later and try to get money back.

OK, as I said I barely scratched the surface of the problems. As well as it taking 4hrs for five course to come to the table:

1) We were on a table that could barely fit all our cutlery on it. We had to put our wine in a cooler on the floor as there was no room for it elsewhere!
2) The wrong wine was brought out...twice.
3) One of the hot courses was cold
4) The waitresses never bothered to come and check up on meals/drinks, probably fearing the now angry customers would take out their rage on them.
5) The manager organising the event sent me an email the week before the event asking if I wanted to order a large bouquet of flowers. I'd already arranged them from elsewhere so replied with a 'no thanks'. Alas when we turned up he said he'd already ordered them by the time I replied to his email and had charged me for them.
5) Shambolic attitude from the manager. Despite everyone basically revolting against the evenings events he couldn't manage an apology, it was as if he was surprised I was complaining!! A British couple on the table across from us said they came last year and it was dreadful and they got a full refund and apology. They were invited back with the promise new management would be able to make it a memorable experience.

To be quite honest the above points barely manage to convey how terrible the overall feeling of the evening. To rub salt into the wound the 'couldn't care less' attitude from management and owners was appalling. I left voicemails and emails with both manager and owners after our experience and they hadn't the decency to respond acknowledging the fact the night was an utter shambles. I'd bet the farm not one person ended that evening believing they'd return. I felt as a paying customer it was my duty to inform the owners the clown that was looking after their hotel was running the place into the ground and they couldn't care less!! I've worked in expensive restaurants and if we'd delivered that kind of experience to one table I'd have been grovelling on the floor apologising, would have comped the meal and would have given the customer £50 credit towards their next meal...and this was in England where we supposedly don't care about customer service  Wink After all if you screw up you have to give someone a second chance, what did this manager offer me in terms of a second chance? Remove the hefty compulsory gratuity and the flowers I hadn't ordered from the bill??? Gee thanks!  Yeah sure

Sure in your eyes the product was delivered but I'd compare it to buying an Audi A8 and it arriving 3months late with half the electronics not working and complete with a number of dents. Sure it's a car and it drives but it was far from a luxury experience that was expected, and what was paid for.
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

iamcanadian

Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:01 pm

Quoting Fbgdavidson (Reply 41):

Just out of curiosity, how many people were being served at your specific function?
Shut up and calculate.

JAGflyer

Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:18 pm

My parents believe in tipping 15% for good service, maybe a bit less. They say they might tip less but they always start the old "I feel sorry so ill tip well". I personally believe that tipping is about motivation. I tip as a means of motivation. I think differently from my parents. They think "i have to tip because they dont make a lot of money", I think "if you want to make money, give me good service"
If you flew today, thank a Flight Dispatcher!

NeilYYZ

Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:36 pm

A decent rule of thumb is 15-20% for reasonable, expected services. For above and beyond, I've tipped up to 50% - but only in places I frequent.

At my favorite local watering hole I will routinely tip around 50%, if it's a 30 CDN bar bill, I'll just leave a 50 CDN.

When I last visited my family in Houston in March I threw down my Visa to pay for a dinner, they looked and so you're from Canada huh? I said yes, but don't worry, I tip well. The waitress told me a joke about Canadians and their tipping -

What's the difference between a Canadian and a canoe? I said I had no idea, she replied - A canoe will actually tip.

I've noticed on my numerous trips to the United States that Canadians have a very bad reputation when it comes to tipping. I'm doing my best to rectify this rather embarrassing situation. My father has always emphasized the importance of tipping throughout my younger years.

If I'm out with a group of people and the tip is low, I'll say just before we leave that I have to go to the bathroom and leave more money on the table. There's even some people I won't go out with to a place the requires a tip because their tipping abilities are horrendous.
It may be too early to drink scotch... But it is NEVER too early to think about it...

102IAHexpress

Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:51 pm

fbgdavidson

Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:52 pm

Quoting Iamcanadian (Reply 42):
Just out of curiosity, how many people were being served at your specific function?

Ten tables of two at the very most.

At one stage during conversation with another table we were wondering how it was possible for it to take 45mins between cold courses on a set menu!  biggrin 

Now we look back at that meal and struggle to not to laugh, it would surely have been the inspiration for an episode of 'Fawlty Towers'....

ANCFlyer

Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:06 pm

Quoting NeilYYZ (Reply 44):
If I'm out with a group of people and the tip is low,

Sounds like the Vegas A-Net meet last year.  duck 

I go to Gilligan's - the Bar at The Sea Galley - often . . . prolly too often . . . and have been for 20 years. I easily tip 50% every time. I don't get stiffed on my drinks, and they're usually 2-fers.

Well, save this one bartender there I busted a few years back.  ziplip 
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

comorin

Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:09 pm

I have no problems with tipping hefty percentages (not on the scale of Comorin though) for excellent service, although this is usually not in restaurant environments.

Er, I did get a little carried away !  drunk 

Too bad about your dining experience - certainly seems like Manuel was in charge of your table...

NeilYYZ

Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:31 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 47):
I easily tip 50% every time

I go to King Henry's Arms, a great little hole in the wall, a pretty regular crowd, and for the most part, everyone tips really well. And like you, they toss me some free pitchers of Budweiser every once in a while. Also, every time they have to scratch and win tickets if you buy a Budweiser and have the chance to win a free t-shirt, I always seem to end up with free shirts and footballs. Tipping well pays off, when I walk in they are already getting me and my friends our usual drinks, a nice touch I think.
It may be too early to drink scotch... But it is NEVER too early to think about it...