Superfly
Topic Author

Remembering The Gerald Ford Era

Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:08 am

Gerald Ford was our President during a magnificent time. Despite inflation and oil woes, the mid 1970s was a great time. The United States celebrated it's 200th birthday Gerald Ford was president during the Bicentennial Celebrations.
Too bad I was too young to really be a part of it but I do have sparse memories of this time.
The 1970s was a celebration for all of the hard fought struggles throughout the 1960s and before.
Some of the best movies, music, clothes and cars would come out during this time. It was also a wonderful time to fly, even in coach (pre-deregulation).
Also, no worries about terrorism or AIDS.

http://www.cinemasterpieces.com/carrie.jpg

http://www.imperialclub.com/Yr/1976/Ads/76NYBJackJones-reg.jpg

http://www.8trackheaven.com/images/PanasonicTNT.jpg

Bring back the Concorde

halls120

RE: Remembering The Gerald Ford Era

Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:15 am

so far, everything you've mentioned confirms my gut reaction to the thread title - there is nothing remotely worth remembering about the Gerald Ford era.  biggrin 

No disrespect to President Ford intended.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

Superfly
Topic Author

Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:22 am

Halls120:
You were old enough to be a part of it.
Where were you in the mid-70s?
Everyone was having a great time back then. Even Betty Ford!  duck 
Bring back the Concorde

AirCop

Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:35 am

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 1):
there is nothing remotely worth remembering about the Gerald Ford era. biggrin

At least culturally nothing worth remembering, a Ford Mustang Gila II, or Superfly how did you forget the Chev Vega? During the Gerald Ford era, I was in the military in Michigan protecting the country against a Canadian invasion, it may have been cold, but it sure beat a certain country in Southeast Asia.

aerobalance

Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:35 am

Why am I thinking about my family's '76 gold colored Ford Gran-Torino? Damn that thing was a boat.
"Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy..."

AeroWesty

Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:37 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 2):
Everyone was having a great time back then.

The Vietnam war was wrapping up, the country was in disarray from Watergate, and even in his State of the Union address in 1975 Ford said himself:

"I must say to you that the state of the Union is not good: Millions of Americans are out of work. Recession and inflation are eroding the money of millions more. Prices are too high, and sales are too slow. This year's Federal deficit will be about $30 billion; next year's probably $45 billion. The national debt will rise to over $500 billion. Our plant capacity and productivity are not increasing fast enough. We depend on others for essential energy. Some people question their Government's ability to make hard decisions and stick with them; they expect Washington politics as usual."

The Carter years, that closed out the decade, weren't exactly the happiest times in America's history either.
International Homo of Mystery

halls120

Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:06 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 2):
Halls120:
You were old enough to be a part of it.
Where were you in the mid-70s?
Everyone was having a great time back then.

I was at the coast guard academy. the 70's simply sucked, no matter how you slice it.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

AeroWesty

Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:11 am

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 6):
the 70's simply sucked, no matter how you slice it.

Except that you could get real amyl nitrate back then. Big grin

Superfly
Topic Author

Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:28 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 5):
The Carter years, that closed out the decade, weren't exactly the happiest times in America's history either.

I'd do anything to go in to a time capsule and re-live the late 1970s.
Everyone was dancing to disco and having a ball! What more could you ask for?

Quoting AirCop (Reply 3):
Superfly how did you forget the Chev Vega?

Easily!
The Ford Mustang II had way more style and availible V8. The Chevy Vega was only availible with a 4-banger.

I was in the military in Michigan protecting the country against a Canadian invasion

Luckily your mission failed because we got RUSH, Bachman Turner Overdrive, Triumph, April Wine, Neil Young and Gordon Lightfoot from Canada.  bigthumbsup 

Quoting Aerobalance (Reply 4):
Why am I thinking about my family's '76 gold colored Ford Gran-Torino? Damn that thing was a boat.

Hard to believe that was a mid-size.

No way! The 80s, 90s and today are much worse.
Bring back the Concorde

AsstChiefMark

Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:52 am

Gas was less than 50 cents a gallon. That's if you were able to find a station that hadn't sold out their daily allotment. And you had a choice between regular and premium gasoline. A few stations were adding a new pump for something called unleaded.

The government printed gasoline rationing coupons...just in case.

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

Superfly
Topic Author

Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:56 am

There was a lot more to the 1970s than gas issues.
Bring back the Concorde

AeroWesty

Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:04 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 8):
I'd do anything to go in to a time capsule and re-live the late 1970s.
Everyone was dancing to disco and having a ball! What more could you ask for?

LOL, why do you think we were out all night disco dancing, snorting poppers, and having wild sex? (Okay, not everyone ...)

Reagan was elected because people wanted to bring self-respect back to the country. It was a mess, and no one was particularly feeling good about the country as a whole back then. We lost our innocence in 1963, and we really didn't get back in tune with things until the mid-to-late 80s. Remember that Reagan's first few years weren't exactly spectacular either. We went through about a 20-year shakeout that wasn't pretty in a number of aspects.

Superfly
Topic Author

Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:23 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 11):
LOL, why do you think we were out all night disco dancing, snorting poppers, and having wild sex?

Just rub it in man, just rub it my face!  mad 
While you were old enough to have fun and experience it all, I was stuck at home listening to Sesame Street Fever. I wanted to go out to the disco too!

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 11):
It was a mess, and no one was particularly feeling good about the country as a whole back then.

Mess? Sounds like a ball!
Nothing all that great came out the 1980s and Reagan was just an actor.
Bring back the Concorde

AsstChiefMark

Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:35 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 12):
Just rub it in man, just rub it my face!

I went to Saturday Night Fever the day it opened.  Big grin

Mark  Wink
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

dvk

Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:39 am

Too bad you view the 70's so negatively. I was around then, and I have lots of good memories to offset the bad. Lots of great music, movies, theatre. Some truly classic television. Commercial flight became available to a wider population and was still an exciting experience. The continuing Apollo program and Skylab were amazing achievements. The Concorde entered service. Women's rights advanced greatly, despite the defeat of the E.R.A. There was greater civility in government, despite Watergate. Nadia, Bjorn Borg, Bille Jean King, and other athletic legends prevailed.

I may have been a middle class kid from a southern town in the 70's, but despite the political and economic times, it was a good time to be alive.
I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.

AeroWesty

Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:45 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 12):
Just rub it in man, just rub it my face!  Angry   

Yeah, we also got to stand in the freezing cold for hours on Geary to catch Star Wars at the Coronet, and we flew 707s and DC-8s!

duck 

Superfly
Topic Author

Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:50 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 15):
Yeah, we also got to stand in the freezing cold for hours on Geary to catch Star Wars at the Coronet

Wait, you were here in San Francisco in the 1970s!  Wow!  Wow!  Wow!
You were at the epicenter man! You were there!  praise 
That is the closest one can get to heaven/utopia.

I do remember flying on an American Airlines 707 LAX - ORD in 1978.
I also remember seeing LOT Poland IL-62 at ORD also.

Quoting Dvk (Reply 14):
Too bad you view the 70's so negatively. I was around then, and I have lots of good memories to offset the bad. Lots of great music, movies, theatre. Some truly classic television. Commercial flight became available to a wider population and was still an exciting experience. The continuing Apollo program and Skylab were amazing achievements. The Concorde entered service. Women's rights advanced greatly, despite the defeat of the E.R.A. There was greater civility in government, despite Watergate. Nadia, Bjorn Borg, Bille Jean King, and other athletic legends prevailed.

I may have been a middle class kid from a southern town in the 70's, but despite the political and economic times, it was a good time to be alive.

checkmark 
Excellent post!
Bring back the Concorde

Superfly
Topic Author

Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:57 am

California had a much cooler governor back then.  yes 

Governor Jerry Brown with his girlfriend Linda Ronstadt partying out with the Eagles.

Bring back the Concorde

AeroWesty

Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:04 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 16):
You were at the epicenter man! You were there!

Indeed I was. Until 1985 when it all got way too depressing.

Superfly
Topic Author

Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:17 am

1985 was the year I first visited San Francisco. I fell in love with the place and knew that I was going to move here someday.
Well 10 years later I did.
Bring back the Concorde

Boeing4ever

Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:20 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 16):
I also remember seeing LOT Poland IL-62 at ORD also.

Yeah, real great times...a symbol of the USSR's illegal and genocidal presence over a sovereign republic. Times are better now that the USSR is gone.

Besides, two of those pieces of shit crashed while in LOT's service...marring the airline's transatlantic reputation. It wasn't until LOT ditched that Russian shit and brought in the 767s and 737s that good times returned to the airline.

Great things came out of the 80's...the end of the Cold War, and the end of the Iron Curtain.

Just nitpickin'.  Wink

airplane B4e-Forever New Frontiers airplane 

AirCop

Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:29 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 8):
I was in the military in Michigan protecting the country against a Canadian invasion

Luckily your mission failed because we got RUSH, Bachman Turner Overdrive, Triumph, April Wine, Neil Young and Gordon Lightfoot from Canada. bigthumbsup

Darn after all these years, I thought I was successful.  faint 

Superfly
Topic Author

Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:31 am

Quoting Boeing4ever (Reply 20):
Great things came out of the 80's...the end of the Cold War, and the end of the Iron Curtain.

Just nitpickin'.

If you want to be nitpicky, the Iron Curtain fell in 1991.
Bring back the Concorde

Boeing4ever

Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:33 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 22):
If you want to be nitpicky, the Iron Curtain fell in 1991.

It was effectively done for by '89.  Smile But hey, the firm end and the collapse of the Soviet Union in '93. Something good from the '90's other than MC Hammer.  Wink

Superfly
Topic Author

Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:39 am

Quoting Boeing4ever (Reply 23):
Something good from the '90's other than MC Hammer.

Your just begging to get flamed aren't you? Big grin
Bring back the Concorde

AeroWesty

Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:49 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 19):
1985 was the year I first visited San Francisco. I fell in love with the place and knew that I was going to move here someday.
Well 10 years later I did.

EssEff is still a great place, it just got tiring after Milk/Moscone/Jim Jones, and far too many AIDS funerals. It was time for me to move on, but I'm still a San Franciscan at heart.

Superfly
Topic Author

Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:02 am

AeroWesty:
I'd like to see some of your photo albums from that time.  Cool
Bring back the Concorde

Tom in NO

Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:20 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 17):
California had a much cooler governor back then.

You had to bring Governor Moonbeam into this thread, didn't you?!?!...... wink 

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

Superfly
Topic Author

Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:31 am

Quoting Tom in NO (Reply 27):
You had to bring Governor Moonbeam into this thread, didn't you?!?!......

Oh yes!  yes 

I've hung out with him a few times. He is a friend of a friend of mines. He is a very intelligent person who likes to have deep 1 on 1 conversations about our universe.
Bring back the Concorde

halls120

Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:15 am

Quoting Dvk (Reply 14):

Richard Nixon. Disco. Hideous polyester 3 piece suits. Platform shoes for men. Rock and roll that was but a pale imitation of the 50s and 60's music that spawned the genre - Abba, Bay City Rollers, Bee Gees, Debby Boone, Shaun Cassidy, Rick "Disco Duck" Dees, Barry Manilow, Tony Orlando and Dawn, Kenny Rogers. Hideous movies - Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band with Peter Frampton and the Bee Gees, Roller Boogie (Linda Blair), the Swarm, the Towering Inferno. Worst decade of Western and American economic performance since the Great Depression. Richard Nixon.

Sorry, but if I had to list in rank order the decades I've lived in, the 70's are by far the worst.

Superfly
Topic Author

Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:45 am

Halls120:
Sounds like you only listend to AM radio in the 70s. You listed the absolute worst of the lot and are all teeny-boppers.

I guess you missed out on RUSH, STYX, Fleetwood Mac, Doobie Brothers, Electric Light Orchestra, Chicago, Steely Dan, Earth Wind & Fire, Kansas, Boston, Ohio Players, YES, Heart, Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, The Carpenters, should I continue?

BTW, Towering Inferno is one of the best movies ever! I actually work in that building. Ok here is a little secret. The bulding is only 52 stories, not 136.  Wink
Bring back the Concorde

halls120

Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:53 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 30):
Halls120:
Sounds like you only listend to AM radio in the 70s. You listed the absolute worst of the lot and are all teeny-boppers.

I guess you missed out on RUSH, STYX, Fleetwood Mac, Doobie Brothers, Electric Light Orchestra, Chicago, Steely Dan, Earth Wind & Fire, Kansas, Boston, Ohio Players, YES, Heart, Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, The Carpenters, should I continue?

The Carpenters????  vomit  You should have stopped at Tom Petty.

I never said ALL 70's music was bad. Far from it. Seeing Fleetwood Mac live was one of the musical high points of that decade for me. Unfortunately, the 70's had more than its fair share of the worst garbage ever recorded.

Towering Inferno was good only if you like your disaster movies to have horribly written scripts, lousy acting, and phony props. I'd bet that Steve McQueen went back to his room every night and drank himself silly to erase the memory of his association with that travesty.

AeroWesty

Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:04 pm

BTW, Towering Inferno is one of the best movies ever! I actually work in that building.

Gosh, I remember when the BofA tower was being built, and they'd put signs on it every 5 or 10 floors up that you could see from the ground saying how high it was at that point. I've a picture somewhere of me sitting in the lounge of the Carnelian Room on the top floor in the mid-70s.

Sounds like you only listend to AM radio in the 70s

That's all we had! Even the brand new car I bought in 1976 had an AM radio with a single dashboard speaker. You just had to go further down the dial than KFRC and KYA.  Wink

halls120

Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:10 pm

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 32):
That's all we had! Even the brand new car I bought in 1976 had an AM radio with a single dashboard speaker. You just had to go further down the dial than KFRC and KYA.

In LA in the 60's, it was Boss Radio KHJ (Robert W. Morgan, Humble Harve, and The Real Don Steele), KRLA (Dave Hull (The Hullabalooer), Emperor Bob Hudson, Casey Kasem, and yes, Bob Eubanks), and until they went all news in the late 60's, KFWB.

AirCop

Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:19 pm

That's all we had! Even the brand new car I bought in 1976 had an AM radio with a single dashboard speaker. You just had to go further down the dial than KFRC and KYA. Wink

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 33):
In LA in the 60's, it was Boss Radio KHJ (Robert W. Morgan, Humble Harve, and The Real Don Steele), KRLA (Dave Hull (The Hullabalooer), Emperor Bob Hudson, Casey Kasem, and yes, Bob Eubanks), and until they went all news in the late 60's, KFWB.

old   old   old   old   old   old   old   old   old   old   old 
Gentlemen, were giving our age away here, we have young kids on the board that have no idea what we are talking about..
Side note; AeroWesty, my dad's best man at his wedding way back in 1946 was the general manager of KYA in the early 70s. Still my dial didn't get beyound 610 (KFRC)very often; stopped at 560 (KSFO) for the Giants/49ers.

Boeing4ever

Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:36 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 24):
Your just begging to get flamed aren't you?

Now you know I can't put MC Hammer and 'great' in the same sentence with a straight face there 'fly.

I'm doubled over in pain from that one I just typed.  rotfl 

Besides, you could try to flame me...but you know you can't touch this.  Wink

jafa39

Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:50 pm

Hey, 'Fly!

I was a teenage Pom in the 70's and yes, all those bad things were happening but the Disco scene was there man, the movies were there man and all those good things really went down.

Maybe it was escapism from the reality of life but there was still an optimism (Hell....people even thought the 8 track would be around forever) among the people that seems to be missing today.

And there, in amongst it all, Punk Rock came along and the nihilistic attitudes have been hard to shake off.

Although in retrospect, the 70's were not my favourite decade, the SPIRIT of the 70's was something that will be hard to replicate.... Smile
We, the undersigned, do hereby consent.....

dvk

Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:15 pm

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 29):
Sorry, but if I had to list in rank order the decades I've lived in, the 70's are by far the worst.

You're way too much of a curmudgeon. I could list equivalent crap from each of the five decades in which I've lived, ignore the good things, and declare any of them the worst decade ever. Let's make it easy, and start with this decade: Britney Spears, guys wearing jeans with waistlines at their knees and underwear riding half a foot above the waist, "reality" TV, George W. Bush, Iraq, 9/11, the Concorde crash, the Columbia explosion, Ashlee Simpson, Darfur, etc. There are easily as many rotten things about this decade as any other, but there are good things, too. You're giving the 70's way too much of a bum rap.

Archie Bunker

Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:04 pm

The 70s. Those were the days.

Superfly
Topic Author

Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:53 pm

I've a picture somewhere of me sitting in the lounge of the Carnelian Room on the top floor in the mid-70s.

Ah yes, I've been in the Carnelian Room twice.
Once for 'The Players Ball' and another time to have tea with Conrad Bain.

Quoting Jafa39 (Reply 36):
Maybe it was escapism from the reality of life but there was still an optimism

..and that's what I like about the 1970s.  Smile
Reality of life hasn't changed much since then or long before the 70s. The 1970s was a hedonistic decade and I am a proud hedonist.  yes 

Punk Rock came along and the nihilistic attitudes have been hard to shake off.

You just had to bring up punk? I hate punk just as much as a hate rap!
Punk & rap is a harsh reminder of how things are screwed up and in my leisure time, I don't want to be reminded of such filth.

SPIRIT of the 70's was something that will be hard to replicate....

Agreed!
Bring back the Concorde

jafa39

Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:55 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 39):
You just had to bring up punk? I hate punk just as much as a hate rap!
Punk & rap is a harsh reminder of how things are screwed up and in my leisure time, I don't want to be reminded of such filth.

Please accept my deepest apologies... Wink
We, the undersigned, do hereby consent.....

BHMNONREV

Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:40 pm

'Fly how would I know you could never start a thread without some mention of an 8-Track player...  Big grin

For all of the crap that happened in the 70's it was still the decade of my youth, and I still look at it very fondly. From sitting at the drive-in, watching the aforementioned Carrie in the back seat of the '68 Charger (well maybe not too much watching..) to arguably the best decade Rock and Roll has ever seen..

And regarding Canada's 70's contribution to music, I still have not forgiven them for forcing Anne Murray and Gordon Lightfoot down our throats, although Rush, the Guess Who/BTO, and the like kinda made up for it.  Wink

If there was one thing that made my high-school classmates suicidal, it was the mere mention of the name "Edmund Fitzgerald"..  vomit 

halls120

Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:33 pm

Quoting Dvk (Reply 37):
You're way too much of a curmudgeon.

I'm a curmudgeon because I think the 70's, as compared to the 50's, 60's, 80's 90's and this decade, is the worst?  rotfl 

So I think the 70's were a decade best left behind, and you are apparently taking it as a personal insult. What, I'm supposed have a rosy positive view of every decade?

Man, you need to loosen the waistband of your undershorts. You seem to have them cinched up way too tight.

dvk

Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:48 pm

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 42):
So I think the 70's were a decade best left behind, and you are apparently taking it as a personal insult. What, I'm supposed have a rosy positive view of every decade

If anyone has his pants too tight, it's you. I'm not insulted at all. I just think you have an extremely distorted and misleading point of view toward that decade, and noted how, using the same approach, I could claim any of the other decades was the worst just as easily.

halls120

Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:57 pm

Quoting Dvk (Reply 43):
Quoting Halls120 (Reply 42):
So I think the 70's were a decade best left behind, and you are apparently taking it as a personal insult. What, I'm supposed have a rosy positive view of every decade

If anyone has his pants too tight, it's you. I'm not insulted at all. I just think you have an extremely distorted and misleading point of view toward that decade, and noted how, using the same approach, I could claim any of the other decades was the worst just as easily.

You could indeed make the claim.

But I won't call you a curmudgeon for simply expressing your opinion.  Smile

Superfly
Topic Author

Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:09 am

Halls120 & Dvk:
Hey be cool guys, it's the 1970s.  Smile

Have a nice day.  Smile

Bring back the Concorde

Tom in NO

Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:39 am

Humble Harve

OMG, I remember that guy! I don't remember much about the various LA DJ's of those, but he is one that I do recall. Most of the 70's radio voices I remember in LA belonged to sportscasters, and of course, LA had the best:

Vin Scully and Jerry Doggett: Dodgers baseball
Chick Hearn and Lynn Schackelford: Lakers basketball
(first) Jiggs McDonald and Dan Avey: Kings hockey
(then) Bob Miller and Rich Marotta: Kings hockey
Dick Enberg and Don Wells: Angels baseball

Quoting BHMNONREV (Reply 41):
And regarding Canada's 70's contribution to music, I still have not forgiven them for forcing Anne Murray and Gordon Lightfoot down our throats, although Rush, the Guess Who/BTO, and the like kinda made up for it.

I'll agree with Anne Murray, but I was fine with Gordo...in fact "East of Midnight" is among my favorite pop albums. Of course, everything was made right when BTO came along.

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

Superfly
Topic Author

Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:07 am

How could I forget to include these gems?  Cool

This commercial scared the hell out of me when I was a kid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBeUGqeYsQg
Bring back the Concorde

halls120

Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:07 am

Quoting Tom in NO (Reply 46):
Humble Harve

OMG, I remember that guy! I don't remember much about the various LA DJ's of those, but he is one that I do recall. Most of the 70's radio voices I remember in LA belonged to sportscasters, and of course, LA had the best:

Vin Scully and Jerry Doggett: Dodgers baseball
Chick Hearn and Lynn Schackelford: Lakers basketball
(first) Jiggs McDonald and Dan Avey: Kings hockey
(then) Bob Miller and Rich Marotta: Kings hockey
Dick Enberg and Don Wells: Angels baseball

Vin Scully - simply the best baseball announcer ever.

Superfly
Topic Author

Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:56 am

Superfly how did you forget the Chev Vega?

For GM compacts, I prefer the Pontiac Sunbird.
For the 1976 model year only, you could get a 350cu" V8 from the factory .  yes 

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Bring back the Concorde