Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AsstChiefMark

RE: Saddam Is Dead

Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:25 am

Quoting 174thfwff (Reply 196):
Here's the full death video if anyone wants it.

http://www.anwarweb.net/saddamdown.wmv

Now that's some of the worst camera technique I've ever seen. You think someone taping something that important would have done a better job.

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

TheSonntag

Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:26 am

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 205):

Doesn't this look a little bit like an unauthorised, secret recording? The official cameras which show the time before the execution are of better quality. But I guess it is no fake, the picture seems to match with the official video.

174thfwff

Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:26 am

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 205):
Now that's some of the worst camera technique I've ever seen. You think someone taping something that important would have done a better job.

It was taken by a cell phone.
Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan, Staten, Uptown, what now? Lets make it happen.

174thfwff

Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:32 am

Quoting TheSonntag (Reply 203):
Ok we do not have to be against the holocaust either, because it also happened?

If people act like this we can send a stopper to human evolution. Just because things have happened does not mean we have to accept them or support them.

That's the difference between you and him. You feel bad watching a man walk his last steps to put a rope over his head and fall to his death. You think it's inhumane. He, on the other hand, would have personally kicked you in the balls before your drop, laughing.

You're allowed to be against anything you want. But it happened, and I obviously feel the right thing happened because, well, Saddam is dead.
Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan, Staten, Uptown, what now? Lets make it happen.

TACAA320

Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:35 am

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 187):
Always?

I only exception is in self defense.
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

AerospaceFan

Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:39 am

Saddam Hussein has finally met his fate. Given what has already been said about his execution in the last day, there is hardly anything one can add.
What's fair is fair.

TheSonntag

Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:40 am

http://www.tagesschau.de/aktuell/mel...0,1185,OID6250864_NAV_REF1,00.html

A nice commentary from the leading German TV news show Tagesschau. I agree completely, unfortunately it is only in German.

And yes, I think it is wrong to kill somebody. I fail to see why it should be a good thing to kill someone. This does not fit into a modern world. If you disagree, I have no problem. I am grateful that Article 102 of our constitution states "The Death Penalty Is Abolished".

cedars747

Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:41 am

Quoting CPH813 (Reply 200):
I don't support the killing of Saddam Hussein. That's like sinking to his own level

CPH813,let me express my respect for you .In my point of view,this is the wiser opinion regarding the Saddam issue.Bravo CPH813

Alex!!!
Tengo una pasion por la aviacion /لدي شغف للطيران / I have a passion for aviation /Jeg har en lidenskap for luftfart/ J'ai une passion pour l'aviation.

CPH813

Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:41 am

Quoting 174thfwff (Reply 208):

That's the difference between you and him. You feel bad watching a man walk his last steps to put a rope over his head and fall to his death. You think it's inhumane. He, on the other hand, would have personally kicked you in the balls before your drop, laughing.

Just like I said before: Either he was born a psychopath or something earlier in his life made him become one. If a lot of drastic things in your life happened to you, I am sure you would change in personality as well. Therefore wrong to sentence anyone to death.

Quoting Cedars747 (Reply 212):

CPH813,let me express my respect for you .In my point of view,this is the wiser opinion regarding the Saddam issue.Bravo CPH813

Thanks!

[Edited 2006-12-30 23:43:10]

connies4ever

Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:43 am

Quoting Allstarflyer (Reply 199):
Quoting Connies4ever (Reply 146):
--the death penalty is wrong, wrong, wrong.

Wrong.

Killing when you have an alternative IS wrong. There was an alternative here: the rest of his miserable life in a small cell, like an animal. Perhaps like the animal he was. I'm not necessarily a regular church-goer, but showing mercy is one of our faith's (and theirs) strongest tenets. And don't give me the "eye for an eye" thing, that's not only pre-Muslim, it's pre-Christian.

As I indicated to UH60FtRucker, when you don't have an alternative, or don't appear to have one, killing may be the only thing to do.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

allstarflyer

Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:46 am

Quoting Connies4ever (Reply 214):
And don't give me the "eye for an eye" thing, that's not only pre-Muslim, it's pre-Christian.

Well, David himself was also a murderer for what he did to Uriah, and God gave him mercy. So, yeah, sometimes, there's mercy to be had.

Quoting Connies4ever (Reply 214):
I'm not necessarily a regular church-goer, but showing mercy is one of our faith's (and theirs) strongest tenets.

Showing mercy is one of Christianity's strongest tenets, I agree. I'm not sold that it's one of Islam's. And the execution was performed under their watch.

-R
Living the American Dream

AerospaceFan

Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:47 am

So long as Saddam Hussein lived, there was the possibility that he could return to power.

That possibility is gone forever.
What's fair is fair.

QANTAS077

Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:52 am

Quoting AerospaceFan (Reply 217):
So long as Saddam Hussein lived, there was the possibility that he could return to power.

That possibility is gone forever.

but not the possibility that someone more brutal may take his place will always exist...we going to start a war everytime a tyrant takes control in Iraq?

AerospaceFan

Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:54 am

Quoting QANTAS077 (Reply 218):
but not the possibility that someone more brutal may take his place will always exist...we going to start a war everytime a tyrant takes control in Iraq?

That is true, but there is a saying: "Sometimes, the perfect is the enemy of the good."

Not all possibilities can be addressed, but at least one certainly has been.
What's fair is fair.

andessmf

Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:19 am

Quoting QANTAS077 (Reply 218):
but not the possibility that someone more brutal may take his place will always exist

So? There are plenty of things that are done in life that have to be constantly repeated. We can take drunk drivers off the road and take away their cars, but it doesn't mean that it will stop other drunk drivers. But we still keep doing so. Is that a waste of time?

TACAA320

Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:21 am

A better title for this thread is: "Saddam was executed".[ Disclaimer: I never supported him, as well as I don't support the death penalty]
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

srbmod

Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:27 am

Please continue the discussion here:
Saddam Execution Thread Pt. 2 (by Srbmod Dec 31 2006 in Non Aviation)