Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Vio
Topic Author

Tallinn, Estonia... Worth Visiting?

Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:12 pm

I kept hearing a lot of good things about Tallinn, Estonia. I could spare a night and go there from Helsinki. Should I ? If so, what are some places to go? (Clubs, etc)... Walking the streets during the day will be easy to figure out...

What's the best way to get from Helsinki there? Boat or Plane?

Thanks,

Vio
Superior decisions reduce the need for superior skills.

VonRichtofen

RE: Tallinn, Estonia... Worth Visiting?

Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:37 pm

Hey man, when are you going? I'm going in Feb. Taking the ferry from Helsinki. I think you're a YYCer like me. If I go before you plan on going I'll let you know how it is. I've heard it's pretty cool though, modern but not expensive like most of Europe.

Kris

simo82

Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:55 pm

I went there last summer as a day trip from helsinki and it was worth it!! It's a very nice city to visit... There are lots of boats in service so just choose the one that better fits your timings.

Ciao
Simo

Coal

Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:08 pm

I was also in Tallinnn last summmer for a day. Definitely worth a visit. I actually found Tallinn to be so much better than Helsinki, especially the vibe.

Didn't do too much clubbing or drinking, but I must say that there are a lot of sights that are real gems to see. Check out the impressive Alexander Nevsky cathedral and also keep your eyes peeled for the former KGB building (you will notice the basement windows have been covered with bricks  wink  )

Alexander Nevsky cathedral

Former KGB HQ

Cheers,
Coal
Nxt Flts: SQ SIN-KIX | HD UKB-CTS | NH CTS-NRT | SQ NRT-SIN | AK SIN-DPS-SIN

Coal

Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:12 pm

Forgot to mention...

You can take a ferry from the Helsinki harbor early in the morning and return in the evening (or the next day). I think I paid about Euro40 for the roundtrip, and bought the ticket the same day.

Estonia's currency is indeed the Euro, but it is ridiculously cheap compared to Western Europe! I paid Euro2 for a big ham and cheese sandwich plus a drink at the Tallinn ferry terminal.

Cheers,
Coal

aloges

Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:29 pm

Quoting Coal (Reply 4):
You can take a ferry from the Helsinki harbor early in the morning and return in the evening (or the next day). I think I paid about Euro40 for the roundtrip, and bought the ticket the same day.

see here: http://www-eng.njl.fi/

Quoting Coal (Reply 4):
Estonia's currency is indeed the Euro

Pardon? They probably accept the Euro in many places due to connections to Finland, but the crown still is their currency which is tied to the Euro and floats with a margin of +/- 15%.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

swiftski

Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:05 am

Hey! My GF and I took a few trips to Tallin (she lived in HEL) and it's great. Superb old town too, a very walkable city.

The sea cat is called Nordic Jet Line and it's an easy journey.

There is also an expensive but super cool helicopter ride, 18 mins. Closed ATM but hopefully will be up and running by the time you go.

"Copterline has finished the annual maintenance of the S76 helicopter. The maintenance break started in June 22, 2006. The Board of Copterline has come to a decision that the route between Helsinki and Tallinn is not operated at the moment because the route requires two helicopters in order to provide excellent availability and customer service. Copterline has also sold their S76 helicopter.

Copterline is currently negotiating with the manufacturer of S76 helicopters, Sikorsky International Operations Inc. The target of negotiations is to secure the continuance of the Helsinki-Tallinn route.

For more information please contact customer sales
+358 - 200 18181.

Updated January 02, 2007"

Joni

Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:25 am

Tallinn is a nice place, and well worth visiting.

Quoting Swiftski (Reply 6):
"Copterline has finished the annual maintenance of the S76 helicopter. The maintenance break started in June 22, 2006. The Board of Copterline has come to a decision that the route between Helsinki and Tallinn is not operated at the moment because the route requires two helicopters in order to provide excellent availability and customer service. Copterline has also sold their S76 helicopter.

The Board forgets to mention that the reason they only had one helicopter is because the other one crashed in the ocean, killing everyone on board. Sikorsky and Copterline are engaged in disputes concerning whose fault it was.

Coal

Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:42 am

Quoting Aloges (Reply 5):
Pardon? They probably accept the Euro in many places due to connections to Finland, but the crown still is their currency which is tied to the Euro and floats with a margin of +/- 15%

Yes, I was hesitant when I made that comment. They do use the EEK, however, the Euro is widely accepted.

In any case, it's definitely a country worth visiting for a few days. Can anyone tell me how Riga and Vilnius compare to Tallinn wrt the sights to see, the cleanliness, etc?

Cheers,
Coal

swiftski

Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:49 am

Quoting Joni (Reply 7):
The Board forgets to mention that the reason they only had one helicopter is because the other one crashed in the ocean, killing everyone on board. Sikorsky and Copterline are engaged in disputes concerning whose fault it was.

True. I was in HEL at the time, why did I not put 2+2 together before posting!!

I knew one had gone down, and I knew there was a service break, but ... d'oh!

CVG777

Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:15 am

Tallinn is a beautiful city. I was there for a day on a cruise back in 2005, and wouldn't mind going back.

As said above, it is a very walkable city, and the old town section is stunning. There is definitly a lot to see and do, and is well worth a visit.

thepilot

Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:31 am

Absolutely, go to Tallinn!!! Just a 1.5 hour ferry ride from Helsinki, on a high speed ferry. The architecture is stunning, and you really see a lot of Eastern influence in Tallinn. I went in October, and it was wonderful. People around the docks speak English, and the Euro goes a long way!  biggrin  Also, head to the top of the main cathedral, it is a beautiful view of the whole city. Plus, on a clear day, you have a good view of takeoffs and landings. Both Helsinki and Tallinn are beautiful. You must visit Tallinn, in my opinion.

Plus, you seem like the ladies man, and when I was there, they competed quite well with the Finnish girls. It is a great day trip.
From YVR

British767

Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:20 am

Quoting Coal (Reply 4):
Estonia's currency is indeed the Euro, but it is ridiculously cheap compared to Western Europe! I paid Euro2 for a big ham and cheese sandwich plus a drink at the Tallinn ferry terminal.

The currency is the Kroon (pronounced Cr-own). The exchange rate is about 23EEK to 1GBP (10EEK to 1CAD).

I really enjoyed Tallinn when I visited for a few days. It's a very small city, but it is very pleasant to walk around! It is easy to walk from the harbour to the old town (as I did with A.net member Joge when he met me after getting a ferry from HEL). The old town is very clean, and the atmosphere is generally very relaxed. Plus as some have already said it is cheap, and you can also pick up very cheap vodka (if you're gonna buy the 80% vodka, make sure you put it somewhere where customs can't find it, as it's illegal outside Estonia!).

Coal

Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:15 am

Quoting British767 (Reply 12):
The currency is the Kroon (pronounced Cr-own). The exchange rate is about 23EEK to 1GBP (10EEK to 1CAD)

Quoting Coal (Reply 8):

Yes, I was hesitant when I made that comment. They do use the EEK, however, the Euro is widely accepted.

checkmark 

Cheers,
Coal

Vio
Topic Author

Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:28 pm

Wow,

Thanks guys! That's a lot of info. I really appreciate it. I think I may go there on Friday and stay the night there. I found a rather cheap hotel (100 CAD dollars) for a pretty cheap one.

I heard about Club Hollywood and Club Venus. Have you been there? A lot of people said it's mostly aimed at foreigners. Hmmm... Interesting..

As far as getting there, probably the boat is the cheappest and best way to get across. Th eonly problem is that I have to be back in Helsinki on Sat. night, as I'm leaving back to Copenhagen/USA/Canada early next morning.

Cheers,

Vio
Superior decisions reduce the need for superior skills.

Alessandro

Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:01 pm

I flew with Copterline before the crash, I recommend you to try out the Russian speedferry if it´s not too windy, otherwise regular ferries are OK.
The TV-tower is also nice thing to do, http://www.teletorn.ee and you get a
view over all Tallinn, the TV-tower was built during Moscow olympics in 1980
when the sailing events where held in Tallinn.
From New Yorqatar to Califarbia...

traveler_7

Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:01 pm

It is always pleasure to read so many nice opinions about Tallinn.

Quoting Alessandro (Reply 15):
I recommend you to try out the Russian speedferry if it´s not too windy,

actually they were built in Ukraine  Wink but the company which operates them decided to end season so they will be back in spring. But some other fast ferries are running until ice will come.