Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Goldenshield
Topic Author

Apple TV = Tivo On Crack?

Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:26 am

So I see that Apple is now selling the Apple TV. They don't really say much about it, but they do have pretty pictures. Anyone have any info on it?

Also, it says you need an HDTV, but shouldn't it just work with a standard TV?
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

S12PPL

RE: Apple TV = Tivo On Crack?

Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:01 am

Got a link to it?

Message too short
The message you were about to post is too short and probably not of any higher value to the topic at hand. You should think long and hard before posting a message in this forum and make it detailed and a valuable addition to the topic discussed.

Avoid posting "Me Too" messages. These are messages that are posted by people who agree to a point being discussed and post a one liner, "me too!", "Good post Jim!", "I disagree" or similar message. This takes up time as readers must sort through these messages which have no real value to the group at large. Any message containing nothing more than a line or two of text is probably not worth posting.

If you have an opinion on a topic, you should in detail express why you have the opinion and what made you come to that conclusion.

Your post should be relevant to the topic discussed.
Next Flights: 12/31 AS804 PDX-MCO 2/3 AS19 MCO-SEA QX2545 SEA-PDX

AC773

Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:10 am

Quoting S12PPL (Reply 1):
Got a link to it?

http://www.apple.com/appletv/

It's basically a device for playing content from your computer on your TV. That's pretty much it. It's nothing like Tivo, and honestly, I find it one of the blandest products Apple has released to date.
Better to be nouveau than never to have been riche at all.

Asturias

Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:11 am

Quoting Goldenshield (Thread starter):
So I see that Apple is now selling the Apple TV. They don't really say much about it, but they do have pretty pictures. Anyone have any info on it?

Also, it says you need an HDTV, but shouldn't it just work with a standard TV?

Yeah, it works on normal TVs. It doesn't surpass 720p 'HDTV' resolution. It does not record nor does it play DivX.

It playes whatever can be played in iTunes AFAIK. That's about it. It's more like a headless iPod than anything else. Perhaps in the future it will support 1080p. Now, no.

It will probably never be a DVR like TiVo.

cheers

Asturias
Tonight we fly

Klaus

Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:24 am

You'd need a separate TV receiver on the computer which is connected to the Apple TV.

The description as a set top box version of an iPod is probably the best one so far.

If you'd want to replace TiVo, the Apple TV would not fit the bill; In that case a Mac mini with an EyeTV receiver would serve you better. It would also play higher-resolution video and (standard) DVDs and it would not need any other computer to be running in the background like the Apple TV does.

TiVo of course has its own specialty features which EyeTV can't match, but I haven't missed them so far (especially not the logging and transmission of my personal TV watching habits to a central server!).

speedbird747BA

Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:26 am

Looks pretty cool, if you ask me. Ill have to look into that when I get me iPhone.

Cheers,
Ktyle
How long do I have to climb, up on the side of this mountain of mine?

Dougloid

Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:30 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 4):
You'd need a separate TV receiver on the computer which is connected to the Apple TV.

The description as a set top box version of an iPod is probably the best one so far.

If you'd want to replace TiVo, the Apple TV would not fit the bill; In that case a Mac mini with an EyeTV receiver would serve you better. It would also play higher-resolution video and (standard) DVDs and it would not need any other computer to be running in the background like the Apple TV does.

TiVo of course has its own specialty features which EyeTV can't match, but I haven't missed them so far (especially not the logging and transmission of my personal TV watching habits to a central server!).

My dead TiVo receiver provided a perfectly good 120 GB hard drive and a DVD-R/RW device, both of which now happily reside in my old IBM Aptiva...betcha can't do that with an Apple**

Wink  Wink  Wink
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

Klaus

Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:37 am

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 6):
My dead TiVo receiver provided a perfectly good 120 GB hard drive and a DVD-R/RW device, both of which now happily reside in my old IBM Aptiva...betcha can't do that with an Apple**

Sure you could with a "big Mac" (or with external USB/FireWire enclosures) - the more relevant question would be: Why did your TiVo die...?  mischievous 

Dougloid

Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:46 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 7):
Sure you could with a "big Mac" (or with external USB/FireWire enclosures) - the more relevant question would be: Why did your TiVo die...?

Grey market factory refurb, power supply died after a couple months. That's what I get for being a cheap old git.

The power supply is made of unobtainium. Easy to change but unavailable to purchase.

Got another and it's been going well for almost two years.
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

Klaus

Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:07 am

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 8):
Grey market factory refurb, power supply died after a couple months. That's what I get for being a cheap old git.

Indeed. My condolences.

I for my part can't afford to buy cheap crap over and over again...!

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 8):
Got another and it's been going well for almost two years.

Excellent - may it stay that way!

174thfwff

Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:19 am

I could be mistaken, but I believe this only plays movies and tv shows if you buy the content via iTunes...

I could be very wrong, but I was under that impression.
Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan, Staten, Uptown, what now? Lets make it happen.

Klaus

Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:32 am

Quoting 174thfwff (Reply 10):
I could be mistaken, but I believe this only plays movies and tv shows if you buy the content via iTunes...

No, just like the iPod and the MacOS software Front Row it will play any unprotected content as well as long as it is in one of the supported formats.

Which in the case of Front Row also includes anything that can be plugged into QuickTime via extra codecs, such as DivX and WMV if you want.

For the Apple TV it is not clear yet if such plugins could be developed, but I would not expect that initially.

WellHung

Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:03 am

Watch your computer on tv... What a revolutionary product. And you get it all for $299.

[Edited 2007-01-16 23:04:16]

tmatt95

Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:17 am

Quoting WellHung (Reply 12):
Watch your computer on tv... What a revolutionary product. And you get it all for $299.

I think you are paying for the fact it is an apple product. Give my mythtv/ Xbox 360 anyday

Matt Big grin

Klaus

Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:29 am

Quoting Tmatt95 (Reply 13):
I think you are paying for the fact it is an apple product. Give my mythtv/ Xbox 360 anyday

Very funny... considering that the Xbox is heavily subsidized by the hoped-for(!) game revenues. Microsoft is still selling them at a major loss, just like the other game consoles.

Apple has so far sold their hardware at a profit and isn't making money on the content afterwards.

At least I prefer it that way when given a choice (although games and music/videos are of course very different markets).

tmatt95

Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:40 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 14):
Very funny... considering that the Xbox is heavily subsidized by the hoped-for(!) game revenues. Microsoft is still selling them at a major loss, just like the other game consoles

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20051228-5862.html
They are going to make a profit this year. The fact they are loosing money shows it must be a good bargain as a piece of hardware.
Regards,
Matt
P.S I am no Microsoft Fan boy... I am not even currently running Windows  Smile

Klaus

Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:53 am

Quoting Tmatt95 (Reply 15):
The fact they are loosing money shows it must be a good bargain as a piece of hardware.

Of course - but the Apple TV simply doesn't have that subsidy; I don't see much if any of an "Apple premium" in its price, just no subsidy.

AC773

Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:39 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 14):
Very funny... considering that the Xbox is heavily subsidized by the hoped-for(!) game revenues. Microsoft is still selling them at a major loss, just like the other game consoles.

...And just how is this a detriment to the end user?

If anything, it's motivation to buy. Unless you get a ton of games, you'll be sharing the bill with Microsoft.

Klaus

Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:57 am

Quoting AC773 (Reply 17):
...And just how is this a detriment to the end user?

It makes the Xbox unsuitable as an argument for an alleged "Apple premium" on the unsubsidized Apple TV.

And it also makes the Xbox a worse deal with every additional game you buy. For me it's a clear incentive to buy as few games as possible.

Or not to buy any of the consoles at all.

AC773

Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:04 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 18):
It makes the Xbox unsuitable as an argument for an alleged "Apple premium" on the unsubsidized Apple TV.

I never intended on making that argument as the Xbox isn't really comparable to the Apple TV. One's a gaming system and the other is a wireless streaming media deivce.

But now that you mention it, may I present this.  mischievous 

Klaus

Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:39 am

Quoting AC773 (Reply 19):
But now that you mention it, may I present this.

That's more like it, indeed! Big grin

The price is in fact lower than Apple TV's, but it's also lower tech (Only 802.11b/g instead of b/g/n in the Apple TV, so no wireless HD playback!).

It supports no AAC audio, apparently has an older codec setup (quality limitations) and is probably more of a pain to set up and use, if other Windows-related gadgets are any precedent.

That said, the dlink product may very well be practical and enjoyable to use - I just don't know enought about either offering.

I'm somewhat reserved to the Apple TV for myself, but price alone isn't a good metric for buying complex technology items - the actual usable value you get in return makes a bigger difference in the medium to long run...

AeroWesty

Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:04 am

My PB has S-video out and stereo audio out, and it connects beautifully to my 46" TV. I've had "Apple TV" for 8 years now. Don't see a reason to spend $299 for a standalone unit.
International Homo of Mystery

174thfwff

Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:56 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 11):

Okay thanks for clearing that up. I think I'm going to go with the Slingbox SlingCatcher though, just for cost.
Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan, Staten, Uptown, what now? Lets make it happen.