Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

KaiGywer
Topic Author

A Day At The Shooting Range

Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:16 pm

Last Sunday, adopim88 and I went to an indoor shooting range to do some target shooting. Had a blast (every pun intended) and took a few pics. They are a little blurry though, as I didn't want to disturb others by using the flash.

Take a look at Katie's shooting skills in the silhouette picture  Smile

Katie shooting just the regular target:
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y84/kaigywer/katietarget.jpg

Katie shooting the silhouette:
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y84/kaigywer/katiesilhouette.jpg

Kai shooting:
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y84/kaigywer/kai-1.jpg

Damn Winchester White Box. Never had problems before, so I'll just assume we got a bad box:
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y84/kaigywer/WWB.jpg

Can't wait to go back with my newly acquired gun, and also to BHM this fall  Smile
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

adopim88

RE: A Day At The Shooting Range

Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:37 pm

Ah yes. An afternoon at the shooting range Big grin Always a good time. I was shooting rather badly to start with, but it got better as time went on (at least I think so anyways)  Smile

Quoting KaiGywer (Thread starter):
Can't wait to go back with my newly acquired gun, and also to BHM this fall

I can't wait to go back with you! Big grin
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

MDorBust

Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:40 pm

Katie, try leaning forward a little more. You're carrying your shoulders too far backwards. You'd be off balance if you ever had to shoot and move.

Kai, take the firing pin out of your pistol and clean out it's recess and the tube it fits in. Sometimes fouling in there will keep the Wincleans from going off.
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

NWA742

Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:41 pm

You are all a bunch of gun loving whackjobs! I'm writing to the city, and I'm telling!

Signed,

A San Franciscan (though probably not Superfly, he's cool)
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

KaiGywer
Topic Author

Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:44 pm

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 2):
Kai, take the firing pin out of your pistol and clean out it's recess and the tube it fits in. Sometimes fouling in there will keep the Wincleans from going off.

It was a borrowed gun, but I'll let the owner know.  Smile

Won't have to borrow it anymore though, since I got my own now  Smile
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

adopim88

Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:47 pm

Katie, try leaning forward a little more. You're carrying your shoulders too far backwards. You'd be off balance if you ever had to shoot and move

Thanks for the advice  Smile I'm still working on getting the correct stance down. My body tends to lean back for some odd reason that is unknown to me. Don't worry, I'm working on it.  Smile

MDorBust

Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:55 pm

Quoting Adopim88 (Reply 5):
My body tends to lean back for some odd reason that is unknown to me.

Two major reasons:

1. You're female. Your upper body weight distribution is different than it is for men. Add to that, when you extend your arms, it throws off your center of balance further to the front than it already is. The natural tendency is to lean backwards to compensate.

2. New shooters tend to try and stay away from the big "BANG". It's completely natural.

It feels odd at first "leaning" into your firearm, and takes some concious effort to do at first. Try to keep your shoulders over your feet. It'll give you a more stable firing stance.

BTW: We grade in 'bama.  Wink
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

L-188

Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:56 pm

My body tends to lean back for some odd reason that is unknown to me. Don't worry, I'm working on it.

Honestly....It is because you are a girl.

That isn't a put down, it is a skeletal structure deal.

But don't feel bad, Women tend to shoot rifles off the hit better then men do. That is because they have hips and therefore a built in rest.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

BCAInfoSys

Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:17 pm

I too went to the range lately (yesterday). And let me tell you, it was a lesson in Darwinism. As DL021 will attest (I called him as I was leaving the range), I was f*cking pissed. Gun ownership really does require an IQ test. Get this:

I was getting near the end of my set. I'd fired off about 150 rounds with the .40 XD 4" to get reacquainted (ir's been about 3-odd months since I've been to the range), and then I fired 100 or so rounds with the Walther G22 to get the red dot sight aligned. I was switching out targets when I saw this batch of retards coming in. It was a father and 3 or 4 boys and let me tell you, retardation is definitely a genetic trait. None of these tardos should've been anywhere near a firearm.

What really caught my attention was the middle-aged son (roughly 14-16), came down the stairs down into the range with a 1911 knock-off in hand, no bag/holster, HIS FINGER IN THE GUARD AND ON THE TRIGGER and then he SCRATCHED HIS HEAD WITH AND IT! This Gomer Pile retard with a perma-grin on his face scratched his head with the business end of a handgun with his finger on the trigger! Even if it wasn't loaded; I mean..... HOLY SHIT!

Needless to say, I finished out the mags I was on and got the hell out of dodge. I didn't want to be anywhere near this band of retards who were apparently determined to become the first family award winners of the Darwin Award.

[Edited 2007-01-22 06:20:20]
Militant Agnostic - I don't know and you don't either.

KaiGywer
Topic Author

Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:18 pm

Quoting BCAInfoSys (Reply 8):
I didn't want to be anywhere near this band of retards who were apparently determined to become the first family award winners of the Darwin Award.

Luckily the range we go to is very well monitored, and any unsafe behavior will get you kicked out.

fr8mech

Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:36 pm

Heading out tomorrow to shoot my Glock 23 with a new laser sight. Should be fun. Maybe I'll bring my S&W .357 and the Ruger .22 and make a few hours out of it.

Just wish the outdoor range would dry up.

By the way... Katie, drop that left elbow a tad. Use the elbow to pull your hand instead of your shoulder. Should help you loosen those shoulders a bit.

[Edited 2007-01-22 06:39:04]
When seconds count, the police are minutes away, or may not come at all.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

174thfwff

Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:01 pm

Nice, always a bonus to see people taking advantage of their constitutional rights. Airliners.net gun Crew checking in.
Here's my Battlestar Galactica CX4 Storm... not California legal.

[Edited 2007-01-22 07:04:35]
Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan, Staten, Uptown, what now? Lets make it happen.

KaiGywer
Topic Author

Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:56 pm

Quoting Fr8Mech (Reply 10):
Heading out tomorrow to shoot my Glock 23 with a new laser sight. Should be fun. Maybe I'll bring my S&W .357 and the Ruger .22 and make a few hours out of it.

Sounds like fun. Take pics  Smile

Quoting 174thfwff (Reply 11):
Nice, always a bonus to see people taking advantage of their constitutional rights. Airliners.net gun Crew checking in.
Here's my Battlestar Galactica CX4 Storm... not California legal.

Looks interesting  Smile

miamiair

Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:07 pm

Took my neighbor to the gun show yesterday to get him a Taurus 24/7. I saw a Glock 29 in 10mm, cheap, so I bought it. Need to take it to the range to try it out.

None of these tardos should've been anywhere near a firearm.

Stupid people shouldn't breed. If he keeps up that behavior, Darwinism may indeed come to fruition, as he may do himself in...
Molon Labe - Proud member of SMASH

KaiGywer
Topic Author

Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:17 pm

Quoting Miamiair (Reply 13):
Took my neighbor to the gun show yesterday to get him a Taurus 24/7

What was the price? I've never been to a gunshow, but heard you can get good deals.

miamiair

Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:28 pm

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 14):
What was the price?

24/7 Stainless slide...$ 380.00

Glock 29 $375.00

KaiGywer
Topic Author

Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:56 pm

Quoting Miamiair (Reply 15):
24/7 Stainless slide...$ 380.00

Glock 29 $375.00

Nice Big grin

BMIFlyer

Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:14 am

Cool stuff.

I'll agree, you should lean forward more Katie, the main reason for this is so the "kickback" doesn't make u lose your balance, and fall flat on your ass  Wink

(Mind you, the kickbacks I get from Rifle shooting are a bit more noticeable than a sidearm)  Wink

Lee
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

KaiGywer
Topic Author

Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:25 am

Quoting BMIFlyer (Reply 17):
I'll agree, you should lean forward more Katie, the main reason for this is so the "kickback" doesn't make u lose your balance, and fall flat on your ass

A mosquito landing on your forehead has more recoil than a 380  Wink

BMIFlyer

Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:33 am

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 18):
A mosquito landing on your forehead has more recoil than a 380

I wouldn't know  Wink

Lee

KaiGywer
Topic Author

Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:36 am

Quoting BMIFlyer (Reply 19):
I wouldn't know

Come to BHM  Smile

BMIFlyer

Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:37 am

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 20):
Come to BHM

I am planning to  Wink

(Checks thread to be sure)

FlyDeltaJets87

Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:51 am

Quoting NWA742 (Reply 3):
You are all a bunch of gun loving whackjobs! I'm writing to the city, and I'm telling!

Signed,

A San Franciscan (though probably not Superfly, he's cool)

Falcon84 would have worked too.  wink 

Quoting KaiGywer (Thread starter):
Can't wait to go back with my newly acquired gun, and also to BHM this fall

Same here.  biggrin 
There a new thread on this one? I haven't been on a.net a lot the past couple days and dont want to miss out on any new developments.

Serios question:
What's your advice on one eye open versus both eyes open when shooting? I've only been shooting twice and haven't noticed a significant difference either way.
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

dl021

Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:16 am

I fired 100 or so rounds with the Walther G22 to get the red dot sight aligned

IT TOOK YOU 100 ROUNDS TO ZERO????!!!?!?!?
Dude....seriously....get the right zeroing target, and use three round iterations to make your adjustments. The first three tell you where you are and if your grouping is decent. Then you make your first adjustments up and over or whatever (write down exactly how many clicks up/down and left/right....it'll be important later) . Take your second three shots and see how far the first series of adjustments took you (count the number of boxes your shot group moved over and compare to the number of clicks you did the first time and do the math), and make the second set of adjustments to take you to the bullseye on your third set of three shots. If it takes you twelve shots then you need to improve your marksmanship or math, or both but that's the most it should take to properly zero any sight that is not a complete piece of doo-doo.

You have a very nice little rifle....I hope you did not put some POS red dot sight on it. If you did take it off and shoot iron sights until you can afford something decent. It's for plinking and squirrel stew so learn it the hard way......

Stupid people shouldn't breed.

Cause you can't fix stupid!

Quoting Miamiair (Reply 15):
Glock 29 $375.00

The resale value on that piece is low because alot of people have heard it's a beast to handle with the recoil on that round in that frame. Let me know how it shoots, because I've been wondering. I think it's a great round, and would not mind having one if it shoots good. I'll trust your judgement.

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 22):
Falcon84 would have worked too.

He's not an anti-gun nut. He's got opinions, but he's not one of the grabbers as far as I can tell. Let him off the hook here.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

MDorBust

Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:45 am

Serios question:
What's your advice on one eye open versus both eyes open when shooting? I've

Both eyes open. That way you can see the bad guy coming from what woudl be a blind side if you close an eye, or the civie who is about to step into the background of your shot. For most people it takes a bit of getting use to. It's kind of like learning to look through a microscope with both eyes open.

I even use scoped rifles with both eyes open.

Queso

Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:35 am

I saw a Glock 29 in 10mm, cheap, so I bought it. Need to take it to the range to try it out.

That might be the only reason I ever bought a Glock.

Serios question:
What's your advice on one eye open versus both eyes open when shooting? I've only been shooting twice and haven't noticed a significant difference either way.

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 24):
Both eyes open.

Absolutely, both eyes open and allow your dominant eye to do the sighting, even if you are cross-dominant. Sight acquisition for followup shots is many times quicker.

I have seen experienced shooters who close their eyes as they squeeze off a shot and didn't even realize it. When you politely point it out and they practice holding their eyes open when they shoot, their speed and accuracy instantly improve.

I'm still working on getting the correct stance down.

The first thing I noticed when I saw these pictures was how both you and Kai look like you're using the "teacup" grip. You should work on using a grip where your non-dominant hand overlaps your strong hand rather than just supporting the handgun's weight. The support of the gun will take care of itself with a combat handgun when you get the grip right. Once the "weak" hand overlaps the "strong" hand, pull back with the weak hand and push forward with the strong hand to wedge them together. You'll have a concrete-solid grip like this and followup shots will be lightning-fast. Here's a couple of pictures with the proper grip and a link you can look at for more info:

http://www.handgunsmag.com/tactics_training/grip_0925/

Also, get some snap-caps and do some dry-fire practice. Work on pulling the trigger sloooooowly and smooooothly while you are keeping the gun on-target. You can do this away from the range, just BE SURE THE GUN IS NOT LOADED and always keep it pointed in a safe direction.

adopim88

Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:36 am

Mind you, the kickbacks I get from Rifle shooting are a bit more noticeable than a sidearm

Oh yes. First real guns I ever shot were the rifles that I used to shoot out at one of my friend's farms during the high school years. Ah, now I'm nostalgic. Big grin I hadn't shot a handgun until this past year.

KaiGywer
Topic Author

Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:39 am

Quoting Queso (Reply 25):
Also, get some snap-caps and do some dry-fire practice. Work on pulling the trigger sloooooowly and smooooothly while you are keeping the gun on-target. You can do this away from the range, just BE SURE THE GUN IS NOT LOADED and always keep it pointed in a safe direction.

I'm planning on picking up a pack of snap-caps when I pick the gun up.

[email protected]

Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:07 am

(Mind you, the kickbacks I get from Rifle shooting are a bit more noticeable than a sidearm)

What rifle do you use? (Army related I presume?)

In the Air Force we were all given the AG-3 rifle.
http://www.mg-42.net/images/G3/xx354.jpg
Very powerful, and it would deliver quite a kickback, which gave you a black eye if you held your face to close to it. (Known as the "idiot-mark")
I have to admit I got a small mark after a standing shooting series. I've never cursed so much to a piece of metal... Hehe

[email protected]
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

KaiGywer
Topic Author

Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:24 pm

Quoting [email protected] (Reply 28):
In the Air Force we were all given the AG-3 rifle.

Ah, memories  Smile

Quoting [email protected] (Reply 28):
Very powerful, and it would deliver quite a kickback, which gave you a black eye if you held your face to close to it. (Known as the "idiot-mark")

I wouldn't say the recoil is that bad. Of course holding it wrong will certainly give you a quick reminder not to do that again  Smile

Thomas, did you ever shoot "blåplast"? I just love the warning slip that came with those  Smile

ANCFlyer

Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:47 pm

Quoting Adopim88 (Reply 26):
during the high school years. Ah, now I'm nostalgic.

Nostalgic!  faint  What was High School for you, last week?  wink 
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

KaiGywer
Topic Author

Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:53 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 30):
Nostalgic! What was High School for you, last week?

rotfl 

adopim88

Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:58 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 30):
Nostalgic!  faint  What was High School for you, last week?

rotfl 
Oh Pep, don't faint! We don't want you to hurt yourself. Do you have your life alert on you?  duck   Wink

(to clarify: I'm in my 3rd year of college Big grin)

KAI! When are we going shooting again so I can put to practice the excellent advice in this thread???  Wink

[email protected]

Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:08 pm

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 29):
Thomas, did you ever shoot "blåplast"? I just love the warning slip that came with those

Hmm, can't say I'm familiar with it actually. What did the warning slip say?

[email protected]
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

KaiGywer
Topic Author

Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:39 pm

Quoting Adopim88 (Reply 32):
Oh Pep, don't faint! We don't want you to hurt yourself. Do you have your life alert on you?

rotfl 

KAI! When are we going shooting again so I can put to practice the excellent advice in this thread???

Next weekend maybe? Or for sure the 17th when we take our concealed carry class Big grin

Quoting [email protected] (Reply 33):
Hmm, can't say I'm familiar with it actually. What did the warning slip say?

"Advarsel! Dette er skarp ammunisjon"

A few guys put the slip by their crotch....

But yeah, "blåplast" is practice ammo that sends a plastic projectile, but does not cycle, so you have to rack it every time. Way cheaper than using regular ammo, but I think it might have been phased out since then as the cost/benefit ratio wasn't too great. They were talking about it back then anyways, as we were told soon we'd have to go to the rifle range to shoot. We only had a pistol range on our base, which was approved for blåplast, but not for regular ammo. Looks just like "rødfis/rødplast", only it's blue.

[email protected]

Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:52 pm

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 34):
"Advarsel! Dette er skarp ammunisjon"

A few guys put the slip by their crotch....

bigthumbsup 

Looks just like "rødfis/rødplast", only it's blue.

Ah, ok. Used plenty of that...  Smile

[email protected]

KaiGywer
Topic Author

Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:03 pm

Quoting [email protected] (Reply 35):
Ah, ok. Used plenty of that...

Fun stuff Big grin

Queso

Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:40 pm

KAI! When are we going shooting again so I can put to practice the excellent advice in this thread???

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 27):

I'm planning on picking up a pack of snap-caps when I pick the gun up.

Quoting Queso (Reply 25):

KAI! Get this lady some snap caps or she's gonna go crazy before she gets to the range again!!!

Next weekend maybe? Or for sure the 17th when we take our concealed carry class

I was just looking over the various nuances of the MN CHL. http://www.packing.org/state/minnesota/

Kai and Adopim, you might want to look around and see if you can get a non-resident Florida or Utah CHL before the BHM meet because either of those two CHL's give you reciprocity with MANY other states. MN has reciprocity with very few other states, and does not have reciprocity with Alabama.

KaiGywer
Topic Author

Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:43 pm

Quoting Queso (Reply 37):
Kai and Adopim, you might want to look around and see if you can get a non-resident Florida or Utah CHL before the BHM meet because either of those two CHL's give you reciprocity with MANY other states. MN has reciprocity with very few other states, and does not have reciprocity with Alabama.

The class we are taking qualifies us for MN, UT, FL, ND, and possibly NH  Smile

We're applying for UT and MN as that combo gives the most states for the money.

Queso

Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:00 pm

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 38):
The class we are taking qualifies us for MN, UT, FL, ND, and possibly NH

We're applying for UT and MN as that combo gives the most states for the money.

Kick ASS! That is outstanding!

KaiGywer
Topic Author

Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:11 pm

Quoting Queso (Reply 39):
Kick ASS! That is outstanding!

What's more outstanding is the cost  Smile Did you check the link in the PM I sent you?  Smile

miamiair

Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:14 pm

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 40):
What's more outstanding is the cost

How much is it?

Queso

Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:16 pm

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 40):
Did you check the link in the PM I sent you?

Yep. And I like the "package deal", too!

KaiGywer
Topic Author

Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:20 pm

Quoting Miamiair (Reply 41):
How much is it?

$65 for a person. If a male brings a female, the female pays only $35.
Students and teachers pay $45.

Then of course the Minnesota counties take $100 for the permit afterwards.

Quoting Queso (Reply 42):
Yep. And I like the "package deal", too!

Yeah, the guy said they're not in it for the money, but rather to get more people involved and licensed. They especially like to see women getting involved in shooting.

Queso

Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:51 pm

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 43):
They especially like to see women getting involved in shooting.

Me too, especially when it's someone worthy of inclusion in a "Best _____ of 2007" thread!

KaiGywer
Topic Author

Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:58 pm

Quoting Queso (Reply 44):
Me too, especially when it's someone worthy of inclusion in a "Best _____ of 2007" thread!

rotfl 

Especially if you are the instructor, right?  Wink

Queso

Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:21 am

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 45):
Especially if you are the instructor, right?

Just remember, one must bend over to pick up all spent brass before leaving the range.  eyepopping 

KaiGywer
Topic Author

Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:28 am

Quoting Queso (Reply 46):
Just remember, one must bend over to pick up all spent brass before leaving the range.

Hahah Big grin

miamiair

Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:40 am

Quoting Queso (Reply 46):
Just remember, one must bend over to pick up all spent brass before leaving the range.

True, but showing cleavage is a no-no at the range. Don't want a hot shell going between the hooters.

Queso

Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:08 am

Quoting Miamiair (Reply 48):
True, but showing cleavage is a no-no at the range. Don't want a hot shell going between the hooters.