Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ANCFlyer

RE: UH60's Long Overdue Update From Iraq

Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:42 am

Quoting Slovacek747 (Reply 48):

Interesting Post.

Let me say this, and leave it alone. If your reason for joining the military is as you state:

because I actually want to go to Iraq and demolish terrorists and protect the freedoms that we have.

Then you better stay in Texas at school, cause you've some learnin' yet to do. As admirable as your desires may sound to the layman, I assure you, that no one, NO ONE, wants to go to war. If you've been there, you'll know what I mean. It's a grand thig, right . . . shootin', movin' and communicatin' and all that rot.

I applaud your desire to serve your country . . . but my young friend, your reason needs work. If all you want to do is kill people, there are street gangs you can join for that, with a lot less headache, and I or a counterpart il be along momentarily to collect you.

The military is a Profession of Professionals. It is a Profession of Arms. It is not something to be taken lightly. The very LAST thing we'd prefer to do, is kill.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

davestanKSAN

Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:22 am

Thanks for this post UH. You've really helped me see Iraq differently with all your posts. We are very fortunate to have you in this forum, and also as a Soldier fighting for us.

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Thread starter):
Guess what else? I was slated to go home in February... hmmm... yeah probably not going to happen. Right now we're "frozen" here. Until a definite plan is released of whether or not there will be a troop increase in Iraq, the Army doesn't want to send us home, only to send us back. Because the truth is... if there really is a "troop build up" it won't be fresh deployments. It will be extending the deployments of units currently in Iraq. Tricky, huh?

Honestly, I don't know how I feel about this. Because one part of me says, "Awesome, if this helps win the war... then HOOAH! Where's the nearest fight at?" But another part of me says, "WTF? I just gave you 13 months, and you want more? And I just volunteered to come back here in late Nov '07 with a sister unit. That's not good enough for you?" So the way I see it... every extra day spent in Iraq, is one less day I get to spend with my wife. Especially since I still haven't told her I am volunteered to return. Yikes

I'm really sorry you have to stay there longer. I can't imagine the toll it takes on you guys to be away from your families for so long. When I think about all you have to go through it makes me see that the issues I face are minuscul in comparison.

I'm sorry I can't be there with you. But know I'm thinking about you and praying for your safe return.

I'm sorry to hear about your friend, and as Falcon said I'm sure he's there with you and is proud.

I could thank you a million times and I don't think it would ever be enough. But know that sincerely from my heart, I want to thank you and your fellow Servicemen and Women.

Please stay safe.

Dave

[Edited 2007-01-24 00:23:08]
Yesterday we've sinned, today we move towards God. Touch the sky....love and respect...Safe Star!

AGM100

Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:24 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 49):
Put that part aside, and if you do go to Iraq, do so to help that nation have a chance. Go there to build, not to destroy.

Correct , the guys / gals I have spoken to, do not brag of killing terrorist... they talk about the Iraqi people. Falcon, thats good advice for the lad.

Quoting Klaus (Reply 40):
It would quite often be mistaken and it doesn't do anybody any good, especially not anyone you appreciate or admire.

Understood , just got shook up a bit . UH represents to me the relatives / friends that we have over their. With so much negative about everything .. I always take the chance to overdo it. I would like to debate it sometime , I do think we have the best soldiers in the world. My opinion , thats it.
You dig the hole .. I fill the hole . 100% employment !

jamman

Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:42 am

I don't know if you know these people... but they go to the funerals of soldiers and protest. They're evil hearted people.

Unbelievable  Sad - protests are for Washington not a soldiers funeral.

Keep on truckin!

[Edited 2007-01-24 17:44:28]
Phoning it in from a place with no phones.

Klaus

Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:55 am

Quoting AGM100 (Reply 52):
With so much negative about everything .. I always take the chance to overdo it.

No problem... it's just that negative comparisons on one end always taint the positive praise on the other as well... it's just unnecessary...

charlienorth

Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:55 am

Keep safe...keep up the great updates..BTW I like the signature  Wink
Work hard fly right..don't understand it

UH60FtRucker
Topic Author

Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:55 am

Quoting J_Hallgren (Reply 9):

Was prompted by that video to look up some stats...in 2004, for the age group 15-24, according to the CDC.gov site, there were a total of 10,874 deaths in USA due to motor vehicles...and 4,877 due to homicide...so if we want to keep our kids "safe", we better stop them from getting anywhere near a car, as they seem to be too hazardous!

And make sure that we stop all killing here in USA...yes, the rate per 100K is more in war zone, but when there are always around 45-50K total deaths per year due to vehicles, and there isn't a national movement to stop this "driving war", I don't see why such a crisis over your fellow troops deaths who are providing a critical and VALUABLE service when doing so...Believe me, I DO care about the losses over there, but it pales in comparison to what's going on here! How many of your age group are killed just due to drunk driving? Maybe about the same percent as due to war...and drunk driving is much easier to solve!

A high-school classmate of mine lost her son-in-law in Iraq in 2005, so I know someone personally affected by this...and just last month, her oldest son was killed in an odd traffic accident...anyway, I feel for your loss, ok?

Well... I gotta be honest with you, I'm really not sure how I should react to your comments.

I just don't see why you had to even bring this up. There are a lot of very fine soldiers dying, and it sorrowing. I don't think it's ever a bad thing to acknowledge the heart breaking pain that occurs here on a daily basis.

I'm sorry but car accidents, and war causalities - just shouldn't be spoken of in the same breath.

Quoting NoUFO (Reply 12):
It's your wife and your life, but me thinks she will be pissed when your are going to tell her. Not only that you volunteered to return, but also that you didn't allow her to have a saying in that.

Quoting Klaus (Reply 30):
Yikes indeed... you're treading dangerous territory there...!

I'm sure she'll have a word or two to say about it as well...

Sad Yeah everytime I try to bring it up... I chicken out. I know it's going to break her heart. But this is just something I gotta do. As long as soldiers are fighting and dying, then I need to be there with them. If I can serve a purpose here, I don't want 20yrs from now for me to look back and regret knowing I could have done more for the war effort.

Quoting PanAmOldDC8 (Reply 18):
As a Vietnam Vet I salute you and say thank you for your service. Keep safe

Well let me take this time to say THANK YOU. It was a far harsher life than I'll ever know... and my hat is off to you. Thank you for your service.

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 29):
I have a friend over there with UH60 flying the Seahawk (the Navy's version of the Blackhawk) who says it is a great bird but that it is interesting flying something that is trying to kill you at a moment's notice.

lol - yeah that's a good way of putting it.  Silly

Thank you for protecting our country. I'm on the verge of joining the military because I actually want to go to Iraq and demolish terrorists and protect the freedoms that we have. The only thing stopping me right now is that I'm a junior at the Univ of Texas and it would be hard to give up such a great degree/education when Im so close to finishing.

Well, Solvacek, I encourage everyone to join the military. It's a fantastic experience where you learn a lot about yourself, and about life.

But definitely finish your degree. Trust me, we'll still need you when you graduate. Heck, with a degree, you can go to OCS and become an officer and live the high life!  Silly

Quoting Charlienorth (Reply 55):
BTW I like the signature Wink

hmmm... apparently not everyone agrees  Wink

I still have 36hrs before they force me to change it.

-UH60
Your men have to follow your orders. They don't have to go to your funeral.

FlyDeltaJets87

Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:50 am

Glad to hear you're still safe over there.  Smile

When I commission in a few years, hopefully our careers will cross paths at some point, even if we will be in different branches.

I do have to ask (Kind of a silly/stupid question) How come you didn't block out your crew chief's face with a black box, but you blocked out your's? (Just curious there)

I don't know if you know these people... but they go to the funerals of soldiers and protest. They're evil hearted people. Well I heard about this group of individuals who travels to the funerals to protect the family from seeing these warped individuals and their fucked up message. They call themselves the Patriot Guard.

Phelps and company. I've seen them interviewed on tv a couple times. They're the same people as the "God Hates Fags" crowd. Their whole argument is that God is having soldiers killed and that 9/11 happened because of America's "lenient position" towards homosexuals and homosexual behavior.  no 

Again, stay safe and hope you (and all the troops) are back in the states as soon as possible.  Smile
*Salutes*
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

futureualpilot

Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:14 am

UH60, thank you for serving and come home safe.
Life is better when you surf.

dl021

Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:33 am

Dude....thanks for the update. Ignore the BS comments, and keep your head up and eyes open.

Nice signature line.....

friend of mine was one of those guys who had his dogtag religious preference listed as infidel.....
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

BigOrange

Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:01 am

I'd heard about the Patriot Guard but never seen any pictures or video of them. I had imagined just a few bikers and thought "what difference will it make" but having seen that picture, I have nothing but respect.

WestJetForLife

Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:07 am

Well sir, I have to say that I am impressed with your post.

I am a future soldier-trainee myself (thinking about joining the CF reserves here), and I must say that you really do put a human element to this war. You really struck a chord with me this afternoon.

May you and your fellow countrymen be safe for the remainder of your tour of duty.

Cheers,
Nik
I need a drink.

j_hallgren

Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:29 am

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 56):
Well... I gotta be honest with you, I'm really not sure how I should react to your comments.

I just don't see why you had to even bring this up. There are a lot of very fine soldiers dying, and it sorrowing. I don't think it's ever a bad thing to acknowledge the heart breaking pain that occurs here on a daily basis.

I'm sorry but car accidents, and war causalities - just shouldn't be spoken of in the same breath.

What I was attempting to do, but obviously did poorly (and may still not get right), was to point out how the media is making it a national crisis when we are losing a handful or less of soldiers daily, but ignoring the fact that so many more in same age group are killed by activities in normal life in USA.

I am NOT at all saying that war casusalities should be equated or ignored, but when most of the media and many in Congress are making such a fuss over what would have been considered very minimal losses in prior wars, I don't get it...they don't put the numbers in context, and if they did, it maybe would make people realize that we're actually doing quite well compared to other conflicts...I still would prefer many more days without losses however, as hopefully all would agree.

BTW, this comparison has been brought up on occasion on talk radio here...

You guys and gals are proudly doing a job that needs doing, and should be honored and thanked for it...not put down as they seem to do...ok?
COBOL - Not a dead language yet!

AerospaceFan

Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:32 am

So yeah... life goes on in Iraq. I don't know if I am going home or not, I will keep you updated on that. And in typical update thread fashion, I will close with some pictures. These are pictures taken by me, my crew chiefs, my buddies, or a few are famous photos of Iraq. ENJOY!

All the best to you, UH60FtRucker. I don't know where this country would be without people like you, brave enough to fight the good fight on behalf of our Republic. God bless you and your fellow servicepersons. And thank you for sharing part of your life with us, to say nothing of those fantastic pictures.

[Edited once for spelling.]

[Edited 2007-01-25 00:32:56]
What's fair is fair.

Falcon84

Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:42 am

Quoting DL021 (Reply 59):
friend of mine was one of those guys who had his dogtag religious preference listed as infidel.....

rotfl 

Now, I like that one.
Work Right, Fly Hard

TSV

Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:28 am

So the way I see it... every extra day spent in Iraq, is one less day I get to spend with my wife. Especially since I still haven't told her I am volunteered to return. Yikes.

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 56):
Yeah everytime I try to bring it up... I chicken out. I know it's going to break her heart. But this is just something I gotta do. As long as soldiers are fighting and dying, then I need to be there with them. If I can serve a purpose here, I don't want 20yrs from now for me to look back and regret knowing I could have done more for the war effort.

All I can say is to relate the story of my Great Uncle Jack. Jack was a typical Aussie- a larger than life character tough as all get out. He came from a large family. He lost a Brother in World War I (flu just before seeing action), a Brother-in-Law after World War I (as a result of gas during the War), and another Brother in World War II (Sandakan). Jack served throughout World War II and was lucky enough to make it home back to his Wife and kids and live a long life until his death in 1996. He gave me the impression he was proud of his service and would not have changed it or the experience for anything. However in the last conversation I had with him a couple of years before his death he expressed his deep regret over the years he "lost" during World War II which kept him away from his Wife and kids and how he would give anything to get them back.

You've done your bit. Get back home to your Wife.
"I told you I was ill ..." Spike Milligan

grandtheftaero

Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:55 am

Awesome photos, UH60. Stay safe, kick ass, and come home soon.