Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

tommytoyz
Topic Author

U.S. Ranked As World's Most Unfriendly To Visitors

Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:41 am

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16771983/

Fair use :
"Since the Sept. 11 attacks, the United States has tightened security measures and toughened its visa and entry requirements. As a result, the country was ranked as the world’s most unfriendly to visitors in a survey conducted last year of travelers from 16 nations."

And it costs the U.S. dearly in lost jobs and revenue the report goes on to say....Something the politicians should think about.......

ikramerica

Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:46 am

Silliness. There are plenty of places less friendly to visitors, where not only is it a hassle to leave (extra fees and such) but where it's also flat out dangerous to be a visitor in the first place.

A survey that asked opinion is not the best way to come to this conclusion. Statistics on detention, being turned away, cost of entry and exit, crimes against visitors, etc., tabulated would be a much better indicator of true "friendliness." Otherwise, it's just another excuse for non-Americans to dump on the USA, and frankly, they've been doing that long before 9/11.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

commavia

Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:47 am

I agree that this is a problem - a serious one. However, I also agree that some of the way we did things before 9/11 had to change.

The United States are making changes -- electronic fingerprint scanning at entry points, machine-readable passports, etc. -- that are very good. Indeed, these changes are eventually going to become the norm everywhere, and the U.S. is now just ahead of the game.

Saying that the U.S. is the "world’s most unfriendly [country] to visitors" is just ridiculous. I can think of ten countries off the top of my head that are far, far less friendly to foreign visitors than America.

The way I know it is ridiculous is because I spent the holidays in New York City, which saw more foreign foot traffic this year than any other in history, with 2007 looking to be yet another banner year. The city had more foreigners than at any other time that I've ever seen it. Obviously people are voting with their wallets, and apparently the millions upon millions of Brits, Irishmen, Spaniards, Japanese, etc., etc., who spent time in just New York alone this year tells us something -- these changes may be uncomfortable at first, like all changes are, but once people get used to them, it won't make much of a difference.

legacy135

Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:48 am

On one side I am shocked to read this, as I love the US, on the other hand I have to say, that I am glad that also Americans do start to realize this as a fact. If we foreigners name this, we are very quickly classified as "Anti US" and are told the way as "......if you don't like why do you visit...."

I also have to say, that on my last two visits, both entering at IAH, I had very friendly immigration officers. Courteous and welcoming, real good ambassadors for their country. Maybe things will go in a positive direction.

I do hope so for all US and non US citizens in the world and best wishes,

Cheers
Legacy135 Wink

Banco

RE: U.S. Ranked As World's Most Unfriendly To Visitors

Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:57 am

Quoting Commavia (Reply 2):
The United States are making changes -- electronic fingerprint scanning at entry points, machine-readable passports, etc. -- that are very good.

I love the USA, been loads of times for business and pleasure. But I do have to say that the idea of being fingerprinted on arrival really makes me baulk at the idea of visiting again. It does feel like being treated like a criminal.

Now, yes, before people jump on me, I'm sure you don't care if I visit or not, I'm sure you will survive without me etc etc etc.

But all I'm saying is that when I look around at where I want to go on holiday, that particular process makes me think that'll I'll go to other places I want to visit before I think again about going to America. Maybe I'm one of very few who feel this way, maybe not, I don't know. But for me at least, it is a factor. Not the most unfriendly, not anything like the most unfriendly. But a reason not to visit, and that is something that should be thought about there, even if it means thinking about it and deciding, yes, it's a price worth paying.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

ANCFlyer

Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:10 am

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 1):
Silliness. There are plenty of places less friendly to visitors, where not only is it a hassle to leave (extra fees and such) but where it's also flat out dangerous to be a visitor in the first place.

Silliness - not exactly the adjective I'd use, but it will suffice. The balance of the post is dead on balls accurate.

Hell, I've been places in this world that would curl your chest hair . . . (no, not Westy's house), America is a light weight.

People are just pissed because they can't just come on over any time they're ready anylonger and crap all over us. They'll get over it - or they can stay home. Piss on 'em.

Do I think we've had some over-reaction on certain things? Sure. That said: Anyone have a better solution?
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

jcs17

RE: U.S. Ranked As World's Most Unfriendly To Visi

Sorry, but if you believe that being fingerprinted and photographed upon entry to the United States makes an entire nation unfriendly.... well, whatever. The process takes 30 seconds, if you don't count standing in line. Americans (Australians and Canadians are very friendly too) are probably the most helpful and friendliest people to foreign tourists -- at least in my experience. If you're willing to allow your judgement to be based on the process at customs and immigration you're selling yourself very short. I have a feeling that had it not been Big Bad Bush who had instituted these measures, this survey would've come out differently.

Yeah, sure, if you're looking for a US tourist visa from Saudi, you might have a difficult time, but for most who enter the country through a nation that participates in the VWP -- getting in is a relatively simple procedure.

I will, however, admit that some of our Customs and Immigrations Officers act like complete jackasses and have Mall Security Guard Syndrome. I've been on the recieving end of a few secondary screenings where I've just wanted to punch the jerk in the face.

[Edited 2007-01-23 22:14:37]
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

jamman

Quoting Legacy135 (Reply 3):
I had very friendly immigration officers. Courteous and welcoming, real good ambassadors for their country. Maybe things will go in a positive direction.

I've had some guys like this too, some ask me a few more questions about where I work and why I visit and some don't, I have no problem answering these questions fully and most are very courteous.

I do have one story though about when I entered through PHL, an A330 full of Brits had just disenbarked and the immigration hall was full of people queing and as I made my way towards the front of the que an immigration officer stood on his chair in his cubicle and shouted "You gotta make sure you fill in the rear side of the green form, and remember I have a gun!" me being me I found this amusing but I could see from the looks on other peoples faces they didn't find it funny.
I suppose the immigration guy was frustrated with people not filling in both sides and figured this was the way to get through to people?
Phoning it in from a place with no phones.

TedTAce

Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:13 am

Covered here: Travel Costs US $15 Billion In Taxes, 200,000 Jobs (by TedTAce Jan 23 2007 in Non Aviation)
This space intentionally left blank

Aither

Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:13 am

This is stupid. I really wonder how the question was asked.

Hope to come back in vacation to the US ASAP !
Never trust the obvious

Falcon84

Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:14 am

Even more so than North Korea and Iran?  Yeah sure

Take something like this with a grain of salt.
Work Right, Fly Hard

ANCFlyer

Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:22 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 10):
Take something like this with a grain of salt.

Don't take it at all - it's  redflag 
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

speedbird747BA

Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:24 am

Quoting Tommytoyz (Thread starter):
world’s most unfriendly to visitors in a survey conducted last year of travelers from 16 nations."

Does anyone see the oxymoron here?

Cheers,
Kyle
How long do I have to climb, up on the side of this mountain of mine?

andessmf

Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:25 am

Otherwise, it's just another excuse for non-Americans to dump on the USA, and frankly, they've been doing that long before 9/11.

Bingo!

Some of the changes that occurred after 9/11 were things that other countries had been doing for years. Like checking your bag before departure. The famous LatAm departure tax. Or what about checking that you are actually removing your bags from the turnstile.

And personally, while LatAm is a very nice place to visit, it was unspoken policy for a long time to gouge 'foreigners'. Even up to now in Ecuador, they give you the 'loca' price and the (higher) 'foreigner' price.

agill

Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:29 am

Haven't had any problems when traveling to the states. Sure the security is a bit more strict, but appart from that the people are as friendly as every.

UALPHLCS

Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:31 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 10):
Even more so than North Korea and Iran?

I thought Iraq for sure.
A little less Hooah, and a little more Dooah.

MaverickM11

Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:36 am

As a result, the country was ranked as the world’s most unfriendly to visitors in a survey conducted last year of travelers from 16 nations

Have these travelers ever tried crossing a border in Subsaharan Africa? Have they even been to the US? I doubt it. While I don't doubt that increased regulation almost always comes at the expense of increased business (I'm looking at you Germany, France, and California), the assertion that the US is the "most unfriendly to visitors" should make anyone instantly chuck this study in the garbage.

Just say no to bad surveys.
I don't take responsibility at all

Blackbird1331

Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:38 am

Yes, why come when we have been berated worldwide and that is because of all of our humanitarian efforts. No, we are not perfect, but, I think the world would be in worse shape witout us. Maybe the question should be, are you welcome?
Life, for the average American, is not easy anymore. Whatever inconvienience a visitor has to deal with when they come here, so do we. Often, I walk away feeling like the enemy. Clue: most of what we endure these days is the result of the actions of foreigners.
Cameras shoot pictures. Guns shoot people. They have the guns.

LeonB1985

Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:40 am

Recently visited the USA for the first time and have only positive experiences to report. Friendly staff at immigration and customs, and everywhere else we set foot in NYC!
From the construction site that is better-known as London Heathrow Airport

AeroWesty

Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:40 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 5):
Hell, I've been places in this world that would curl your chest hair . . . (no, not Westy's house), America is a light weight.

Oh, but the stories you could tell your grandchildren! Big grin

Quoting Banco (Reply 4):
But all I'm saying is that when I look around at where I want to go on holiday, that particular process makes me think that'll I'll go to other places I want to visit before I think again about going to America. Maybe I'm one of very few who feel this way, maybe not, I don't know. But for me at least, it is a factor.

I have one, and only one problem with the process. The visa fee. Having dealt with American bureaucracy, and having heard stories of those who've blown 100 clams on the application, only to be turned down for some technicality or another, we should make the fee refundable for those who end up not receiving a visa.
International Homo of Mystery

ilikeyyc

Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:44 am

Thats a lot of bull crap. There are two hundred-and-some countries in this world and only 16 of them are surveyed?

There are far worse places in the world for tourists.

Quoting Banco (Reply 4):
I love the USA, been loads of times for business and pleasure. But I do have to say that the idea of being fingerprinted on arrival really makes me baulk at the idea of visiting again. It does feel like being treated like a criminal.

Don't visit Disney World, then. If you get a multi-day or multi-park pass, not only do they take all your money, but they take your fingerprints too!!
Fighting Absurdity with Absurdity!

JRadier

Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:52 am

For me the US is not the worst, but doesn't rank exacly high either. If I take a look at the Americans I have met, and the officials/airport workers between plane and curb they aren't a representation of the population. I understand that visitors have to be screened, but how hard is it to do that without yelling (in general the people that direct you to the correct lines etc) and being very grumpy and even rude (ATL immigration officers, take note). Being friendly costs you nothing extra, does not make it easier for people to get in but gives a far better first impression. Hate to say it, but I find the Canadians do this a lot better.

People are just pissed because they can't just come on over any time they're ready anylonger and crap all over us. They'll get over it - or they can stay home. Piss on 'em.

Yeah, let us stay away! You won't notice if I stay away, or my family. But when thousands of people stay away that is going to amount to some serious money. With the weak dollar, I think that is something that should be very welcome.

Quoting Legacy135 (Reply 3):
I also have to say, that on my last two visits, both entering at IAH, I had very friendly immigration officers. Courteous and welcoming, real good ambassadors for their country. Maybe things will go in a positive direction.

I flew into IAH recently as well, and I found the same. The officer was friendly, asked some questions about some of my dad's visa's but all in a very professional matter. Best immigration I had in the US!

Quoting Ilikeyyc (Reply 20):
Thats a lot of bull crap. There are two hundred-and-some countries in this world and only 16 of them are surveyed?

Nope, read! Travelers from 16 countries are surveyed, not 16 countries!

AsstChiefMark

Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:56 am

My vote would go for France. I've never seen so many people pretend they can't speak English.

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

ilikeyyc

Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:00 am

Quoting JRadier (Reply 21):
Nope, read! Travelers from 16 countries are surveyed, not 16 countries!

Same thing- in the end, only 16 countries out of the two-hundred-and-some countries in the world are being evaluated. With a small sampling like that, it is very easy to stack the results.

ANCFlyer

Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:06 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 19):

Oh, but the stories you could tell your grandchildren!

scratchchin  Might be worth the trip after all!

Tell Miranda's kids. "This one time, at Westy's house . . . "  faint 

Quoting JRadier (Reply 21):
Yeah, let us stay away! You won't notice if I stay away, or my family. But when thousands of people stay away that is going to amount to some serious money. With the weak dollar, I think that is something that should be very welcome.

You're quite right, but, other than Disney Land I don't see a hell of a lot of UK visitors popping over to the colonies for a visit with their families . . . to see say, Wisconsin Dells, the Amana Colonies, the Grand Canyon, Yosemite, Denali??????

Further, Business people will do what they must - business is business. So, no loss there.

Likely the people pissing and moaning about thisw ARE the business persons - unfortunately -but they will still come.

I do agree, it's arduous. I also agree a step better than pre 9/11 is necessary.

We're allies with Australia . . . I need a Visa to visit. Why is that different than having to be printed coming into the US? it's still a BS nutroll I must endure to enter a "friendly" ally, is it not?

Like I said, don't like it, no one's twisting your arm. (Well, not YOUR arm . . .personal like . . . you get what I mean).

By the way, what 16 countries were polled?

JRadier

Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:10 am

Quoting Ilikeyyc (Reply 23):
Same thing- in the end, only 16 countries out of the two-hundred-and-some countries in the world are being evaluated. With a small sampling like that, it is very easy to stack the results.

True, to some extend. How interesting is it to compare the US to Burundi or North Korea? The US is a country that does a lot of international trading. Same as the EU and a couple of other countries (say, the 'west'), and there is where the 'competition' is. Did you read the article? It clearly shows what the effects are.

Edit:

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 24):

You're quite right, but, other than Disney Land I don't see a hell of a lot of UK visitors popping over to the colonies for a visit with their families . . . to see say, Wisconsin Dells, the Amana Colonies, the Grand Canyon, Yosemite, Denali??????

A lot of them go to Disney, sure. But loads of visitors go to other places as well. And does it really matter where they are going (seen from the government in DC)? Foreign income is foreign income.

Further, Business people will do what they must - business is business. So, no loss there.

Like I said above, the article shows that there is some significant loss, and that can't all come from Disney visitors  Wink.

We're allies with Australia . . . I need a Visa to visit. Why is that different than having to be printed coming into the US? it's still a BS nutroll I must endure to enter a "friendly" ally, is it not?

Like I said, don't like it, no one's twisting your arm. (Well, not YOUR arm . . .personal like . . . you get what I mean).

And like I said before, it's not really what you do (within limits) but the way you do it. From AUS I know that you can request a visa online (correct me if I'm wrong) which isn't a lot of hassle.

[Edited 2007-01-23 23:16:01]

Klaus

Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:16 am

People are just pissed because they can't just come on over any time they're ready anylonger and crap all over us.

A summarily hostile attitude towards all foreigners like that is not exactly an advertisment for US tourism, don't you think?

Quoting Jcs17 (Reply 6):
If you're willing to allow your judgement to be based on the process at customs and immigration you're selling yourself very short.

And if you think that first impressions don't matter, you're very much mistaken!

Quoting Jcs17 (Reply 6):
I have a feeling that had it not been Big Bad Bush who had instituted these measures, this survey would've come out differently.

The tone does indeed matter - and being dismissed, insulted, being treated like insignificant peasants who don't need to be listened to does indeed set one up for getting pissed off when one is on top of all that treated like a criminal when visiting your country.

You might want to make up your mind about how you want to be seen by others - and what you're willing to do for it.

MDorBust

Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:25 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 26):
A summarily hostile attitude towards all foreigners like that is not exactly an advertisment for US tourism, don't you think?

Only if you planned on touring ANCs igloo. Then again, we already knew ahead of time that ANC was cranky by nature. He can't help it, he's a Sergeant Major.
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

ANCFlyer

Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:27 am

Quoting JRadier (Reply 25):
And like I said before, it's not really what you do (within limits) but the way you do it.

Now we agree completely. Remember, the INS (or the new incarnation thereof) aren't much - occasionally - above the TSA in some places. A recipe for a nightmare.

And you're right, the Visa for Oz when I went last time was easy . . . but was the point of my point lost on you? The fact I need one? Visitors from Oz don't need a visa to come here. And it's just another step one must take to visit Australia from the US. So, a different proces to be sure, a different document to be sure, a different hassle to be sure, but still - a hassle.

But loads of visitors go to other places as well.

Example?

DC?

LA?

Hawaii?

Quoting Klaus (Reply 26):
People are just pissed because they can't just come on over any time they're ready anylonger and crap all over us.

Agreed, as I just said to JRaider. Delivery of the message is 90% of the battle. If it's a dicked up process but it doesn't hurt to go through it, then all the better. If you've got some moron on the other side of the glass giving Mom and Pop and the youngins the thrird degree and all they really want to do is see Mickey Mouse, we're screwin' up here.

Some people need to remember the old saying: You gotta learn to pick your battles.

Still . . . unanswered: What 16 Countries were surveyed?

ilikeyyc

Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:30 am

How interesting is it to compare the US to Burundi or North Korea?

Not very interesting, but it proves that in no way should the US be labled "World's most unfriendly to visitors" and that, when everything is considered, there really isn't much for visitors to complain about.

Did you read the article? It clearly shows what the effects are.

Yes I read it, but it was rather short and not very specific. How do we know that the decline is completely due to "unfriendly policies"? How much of that decline could be because of other destinations that are cheaper or closer-to-home than the US? Just my thoughts.

AirCop

Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:33 am

Might want to delete the Grand Canyon from your list. Apparently according to a British Travel official, UK tourist like doing the tri-angle here in the west, fly to PHX, drive to Grand Canyon then to Vegas and then over to Disneyland. Goes both ways LAX-PHX, LAS-Grand Canyon then Disneyland..

JRadier

Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:44 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 28):
Example?

DC, California, Florida (rest of it), Grand Canyon, etc etc etc. Why?

but was the point of my point lost on you? The fact I need one?

Erm, no? But just just agreed with me that within limits, the way it is done is far more important. Remember, we have to send detailed info ahead of arrival as well (via the airline).

JRaider

You truly are American  Wink

If you've got some moron on the other side of the glass giving Mom and Pop and the youngins the thrird degree and all they really want to do is see Mickey Mouse, we're screwin' up here

And THAT is what has to change.

Still . . . unanswered: What 16 Countries were surveyed?

You won't get an answer on that from us I'm affraid.

Quoting Ilikeyyc (Reply 29):
Not very interesting, but it proves that in no way should the US be labled "World's most unfriendly to visitors" and that, when everything is considered, there really isn't much for visitors to complain about.

I agree, title doesn't cover the load. It should be 'the wests most unfriendly'  Wink. And there certainly is something to complain about, see above.

Quoting Ilikeyyc (Reply 29):

Yes I read it, but it was rather short and not very specific. How do we know that the decline is completely due to "unfriendly policies"? How much of that decline could be because of other destinations that are cheaper or closer-to-home than the US? Just my thoughts.

One can't, but seeing the Dollar is in a steady decline over the years something is happening. Combine that with complaints from travelers which are threatening to take there business elsewhere (note, no source for this ATM) and you have a fairly substantial basis.

Sabena332

Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:48 am

Old news, here is an article from the German news website tagesschau.de from last November, the article basically says the same.

And yes, I can imagine that many people don't want to fly to the USA when they hear that you get fingerprinted on arrival, that immigration officers are rude, that people without a machine readable passport got arrested, etc. etc.

But I can also imagine that these people will change their opinions rapidly after they experienced it by themself. Personally I have to say that all my 14 US immigrations after 9/11/01 were simply perfect: Always fast, always friendly, always without the slightest problem. In fact the US immigration officers belong to my favourites, they are always up for a nice small talk while checking the passport and the I-94W form.

I am looking forward to my next USA trip next month!

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

ANCFlyer

Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:49 am

Quoting JRadier (Reply 31):
You truly are American

Dang, my bad. Sorry: JRadier . . .

Quoting JRadier (Reply 31):
If you've got some moron on the other side of the glass giving Mom and Pop and the youngins the thrird degree and all they really want to do is see Mickey Mouse, we're screwin' up here

And THAT is what has to change.

Agreed.

Klaus

Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:36 am

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 27):
Only if you planned on touring ANCs igloo. Then again, we already knew ahead of time that ANC was cranky by nature. He can't help it, he's a Sergeant Major.

Quite so. Still, I think I could deal with that.

His pet polar bear, on the other hand...!  faint 

Agreed, as I just said to JRaider. Delivery of the message is 90% of the battle. If it's a dicked up process but it doesn't hurt to go through it, then all the better. If you've got some moron on the other side of the glass giving Mom and Pop and the youngins the thrird degree and all they really want to do is see Mickey Mouse, we're screwin' up here.

Exactly. People generally understand necessities - european travelers have for many years before 2001 lived with the security consequences of terrorism. But the attitude is very important here.

My personal experiences with americans are generally positive; But as a country, you've done some serious damage to yourself.

Avsfan

Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:50 am

As a result, the country was ranked as the world’s most unfriendly to visitors in a survey conducted last year of travelers from 16 nations.

Here is the main question to ask: "What were the 16 countries polled in this survey?
"Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth...Put out my hand and touched the face of God"

pelican

Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:54 am

I've only been once to the USA since Sept. 11. And I've to say immigration was no different to Canadian immigration. Okay the Canadian officer asked more question than the US officer. The people in Florida were very friendly. So I can't support the claim that the US is unfriendly to visitors at all.

pelican

andessmf

Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:55 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 19):
The visa fee. Having dealt with American bureaucracy, and having heard stories of those who've blown 100 clams on the application, only to be turned down for some technicality or another, we should make the fee refundable for those who end up not receiving a visa.

Couldn't agree more. It is hard for some (talking about relatives) to come up with the $100 fee. I have several examples of family that could not make it to the US because of this.

jaysit

Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:56 am

And here I thought that Somalia was the world's most unfriendly to visitors.

Silly me.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

YWG

Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:04 am

There are plenty of places less friendly to visitors

That's why I represent' a HUGE Canadian flag on my bags whenever I travel
Contact Winnipeg center now on 134.4, good day.

kiwiinoz

Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:40 am

Quoting YWG (Reply 39):
That's why I represent' a HUGE Canadian flag on my bags whenever I travel

Common strategy for you Canadians....us kiwi's do the same to avoid being branded an Aussie.

USA unfriendly to visitors?? Anyone here been to Moscow?? It's hard to categorise a whole country but the US would be one of the last places I would consider unfriendly. Hell, some places I went people were habitual huggers!!

It is more of a hassle and the transit/entry experience has diminished a lot, but the unfriendly tag is not deserved.

Aaron747

Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:31 am

Quote from a vice chair of the board of a large Japanese manufacturing firm I recently spoke to: "I'm sick of stupid US policy for travelers. I'm Japanese, not Middle Eastern. There's no reason to waste my time standing in a long line with other foreigners because they need my photograph again."

Clearly, some things could be done a lot better.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

photopilot

Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:56 am

Well it doesn't surprise me at all. Since 9/11, I've been forced to visit the USA only once for a business trip. But other than that, my vacation dollars have been spend in countries that make me feel welcome and less like a criminal.

When I also consider stuff the Americans are doing, such as Rendition, suspension of all rights for non-US citizens (habeus corpus) etc., why on earth would I want to risk my personal freedoms by giving them all up to visit the USA?

Sorry, but there are plenty of other very friendly safe countries for me to visit who welcome me and my money.

Steve

WildcatYXU

Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:35 pm

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 41):
Quote from a vice chair of the board of a large Japanese manufacturing firm I recently spoke to: "I'm sick of stupid US policy for travelers. I'm Japanese, not Middle Eastern. There's no reason to waste my time standing in a long line with other foreigners because they need my photograph again."

Tell that to the American students in Japan who overstayed they visa by 5 days and when they tried to leave, they were detained, strip searched and after few days in jail deported
310, 319, 320, 321, 321N, 332, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E45, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, MD82, Saab 340, YAK40

AsstChiefMark

Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:11 pm

Quoting Photopilot (Reply 42):
my vacation dollars have been spend in countries that make me feel welcome and less like a criminal.

You're Canadian and you feel unwelcomed in the USA? Wow. That's a new one for me.

What happened? Did you get mugged by the US Border Patrol or US Customs? Or were the Imperial measurements too devastating?

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

Aaron747

Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:15 pm

Tell that to the American students in Japan who overstayed they visa by 5 days and when they tried to leave, they were detained, strip searched and after few days in jail deported

Um, they broke the law. I applaud the government I now pay taxes to for actually enforcing their immigration policy.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

paulc

Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:11 pm

I flew into the USA via Atlanta as part of a group - from joining the queue to reclaiming bags and handing them back for the domestic flight took about an hour. The immigration official that processed me was polite and friendly. Having the fingerprint & photo taken took only a few seconds. After all the bad reports I had heard about this process I was a little concerned but in reality it was more it 'it that it?' and it would not put me off visiting again.
English First, British Second, european Never!

LH423

Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:21 pm

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 41):

I think Mr. Vice Chair-sen needs to remove that large stick from his ass. Unfortunately for him, waiting in line (especially when you're not a citizen of the country you're entering) is a fact of life. If he doesn't like it, maybe he should consider travelling in a private jet. He can eat sh*t like the rest of us, NON-MIDDLE EASTERN people! That arrogance of some people.

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

VonRichtofen

Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:22 pm

US customs/immigration are far from friendly or even polite. Most seem like they're on a power trip. But I'd never go as far as to say they're the most unfriendly in the world. Maybe the most unfriendly of Western powers, but definately not in the world.

Kris

jacobin777

Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:06 pm

Look who did the study...

"The study released Tuesday by the Travel Industry Association"..me thinks there is an obvious agenda here... yes 
"Up the Irons!"