Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

bill142

RE: Official F1 Thread: Let The Pre-Season Begin!

Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:20 pm

Quoting Kaddyuk (Reply 99):

They'd have to turn down the revs on that engine to improve life... This is probably the reason why button was 2 seconds off the pace..

That's a likely scenario. Depends on what they were testing, they may have wanted intentionally slow lap times.

kaddyuk
Topic Author

Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:25 pm

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 100):
That's a likely scenario. Depends on what they were testing, they may have wanted intentionally slow lap times.

Or they wanted to see what indications they get when they run an engine over increddibly long distances... I anticipate some VERY quick laps from button in his honda, afterall they're running on a brand new engine design where I believe most others are still running the frozen 2006 design. Did any other manufacturers relase brand new engines last season or are they all on 2006 designs?

nosedive

Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:34 pm

Quoting Kaddyuk (Reply 101):
Did any other manufacturers relase brand new engines last season or are they all on 2006 designs?

Who all had revised engines by Suzuka? IIRC, the FIA rules mandated the frozen engines for 2007 must be raced twice in 2006, making Japan the threshold. My question is, does the engine must raced twice by both 2006 drivers? In other words, did the Honda engine have to be raced by both Rubens and Button or just one of them?

[Edited 2007-02-07 13:40:11]

ba757

Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:32 am

A Big Dent To Coulthard's Bank Balance

David Coulthard has been fined 500 euros (£360) by a Monaco court for injuring a passenger on a high-speed tour of the Principality's grand prix circuit in 1999.

News agency Reuters cites a judicial source saying that Coulthard lost control of his Mercedes after it hit a wet patch.

The woman passenger sustained minor injuries but withdrew her complaint after Coulthard reached a settlement with her in 2002.

However the court still fined the Scot, finding him guilty of causing accidental injury.

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=38447

I always said he was a shit driver!  Wink

kaddyuk
Topic Author

Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:52 am

Quoting BA757 (Reply 103):
I always said he was a shit driver!

ROFL...!

I think its a bit stupid though, I mean if I get into a racing car I accept that if the car crashes I'm likely to get hurt... This woman doesnt seem to be able to understand that...

bill142

Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:07 am

Quoting Kaddyuk (Reply 104):
I think its a bit stupid though, I mean if I get into a racing car I accept that if the car crashes I'm likely to get hurt... This woman doesnt seem to be able to understand that...

It wasn't a racing car. It was his company Mercedes (as he was driving for McLaren at the time). It was just DC trying to the player he wishe he was and trying to the all cool and suave. DC will never be like Eddie Irvine.

kaddyuk
Topic Author

Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:46 am

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 105):
It wasn't a racing car

Okay perhaps i used the word quite liberally however if I get into a car that is going to drive as fast as possible round a race track, i accept that whatever happens is my own responsibility...

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 105):
DC will never be like Eddie Irvine.

Certainly not but you've gotta admit... That goatee beard IS cool...  Wink

HKGKaiTak

Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:24 am

Did this "woman passenger" try to get her hands on DC? And failed? And that's why she's suing?  Wink

sudden

Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:21 am

Folks,

Have anybody else read the following about Eddie Irvine,
"He has been linked to a future role at the Spyker MF1 Racing Formula One team."
http://www.answers.com/topic/eddie-irvine

Aim for the sky!
Sudden

kaddyuk
Topic Author

Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:17 pm

Massa: BMW is the team to beat

Source: http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=38463

Felipe Massa believes BMW Sauber currently has the car to beat in Formula 1 judging by its pre-season testing form so far.

...the Brazilian has been most impressed by the BMW F1.07...

“The McLaren is the fastest car over a single lap, but as far as consistency is concerned the BMW is impressive even if maybe they don’t have the best reliability yet.

“For now I put them ahead of Ferrari and McLaren.”

Shocking news from Massa! Can BMW Win something this year?

nosedive

Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:33 pm

Quoting Kaddyuk (Reply 109):
Can BMW Win something this year?

God, I hope so. Honda as well.... 5 way race for the championship into the closing races?

That, and I became a Kubica bandwagon fan last yr.  

[Edited 2007-02-10 15:43:21]

BlueElephant

Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:41 pm

Quoting Kaddyuk (Reply 109):
Shocking news from Massa! Can BMW Win something this year?

This was really interesting to read. It seems that BMW might be a good team this year....

I Hope that Honda wins, and McLaren too...

I'm surprised. It doesn't seem to me that Ferrari has really stepped up or stuck out in tests this year. Obviously Kimi is still getting used to the car...but it also seems like Alonso got acclimatised to the new McLaren a lot faster than Kimi and the Ferrari.

Not to mention Hamilton is getting quicker too.

Its going to be a good season...I'm excited....35 days!

bill142

Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:29 pm

I'm not surprised about BMW. They showed some good results towards the end of last season and by the sounds of thing, they have managed to capitalise on it. But as to be expected, the real contenders will become clear after the first couple of races. However, a four or five way title battle would be really good. I think the last time we had anything like that was back in 1999 when Jordan were an outside chance of ruining the party for Ferrari and McLaren.

bill142

Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:20 pm

Found these on you tube. Pretty funny.

kaddyuk
Topic Author

Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:25 am

Who here thinks that Schumacher will be missed in F1?

I think he certainly will... Especially at Ferarri!

legoguy

Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:49 am

Have Honda released their new livery yet!?!?!?!

I will miss Schumi. I will miss his racing skills, and will also make the contraversy he caused at some grandprix's..... added excitement to the weekend.

bill142

Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:52 am

Quoting Legoguy (Reply 115):
Have Honda released their new livery yet!?!?!?!

Nah. I would expect that just prior to Melbourne. Probably the week leading up.

sudden

Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:38 pm

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 116):
Nah. I would expect that just prior to Melbourne. Probably the week leading up.

Or the week after Melbourne, if they are to have the same pace as last season.  Wink

Aim for the sky!
Sudden

cornish

Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:40 pm

Quoting Kaddyuk (Reply 114):
Who here thinks that Schumacher will be missed in F1?

As great as he was, I don't think he will be missed as much as some of the legends that left F1 in the past. Not for any negative reason, but more because of the calibre of the racer we have going into this season. We've had situations in the past where some of the greats have gone and there has been a bit of a vaccuum in the season after until the next great driver comes along.

But right now we have Alonso who has beaten Schuey two seasons running, against Raikkonen, throw in the most exciting crop of newcomers in ages (since Raikonnen and Alonso really) in Hamilton, Kovalinenen and Kubica and the season ahead could prove to be tremendously exciting. If that proves to be the case then Schuey won't be missed so much. If we have a complete bore fest with one driver head and shoulders over all others, then it would be a diffrent story.

nosedive

Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:58 pm

Quoting Legoguy (Reply 115):
I will miss Schumi. I will miss his racing skills, and will also make the contraversy he caused at some grandprix's..... added excitement to the weekend.

Happens in every sport. People still miss Prost and Senna! There will be new drama.

Quoting Cornish (Reply 118):
Not for any negative reason, but more because of the calibre of the racer we have going into this season. We've had situations in the past where some of the greats have gone and there has been a bit of a vaccuum in the season after until the next great driver comes along.

Cornish, I hate the fact you said what I wanted to say.... only with a British accent, thus making it better!

bill142

Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:47 pm

STR have finally, in essence, confirmed their drivers.

http://www.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/070213093442.shtml

cornish

Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:25 pm

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 120):
STR have finally, in essence, confirmed their drivers.

But given the decided lack of serious enthusiasm or public backing for them, I suspect they will be under BIG pressure to perform from the start or someone like Doornbos will get drafted in from his expected Red Bull Champcar campaign....

nosedive

Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:10 pm

Quoting Cornish (Reply 121):
But given the decided lack of serious enthusiasm or public backing for them, I suspect they will be under BIG pressure to perform from the start or someone like Doornbos will get drafted in from his expected Red Bull Champcar campaign....

That, and Newmann-Haas probably wanted too much for SeaBass

cornish

Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:05 am

Well Mark Webber is back slagging of Williams again.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/6357071.stm

Frankly I'm finding this a little tiresome. He seems to want to spend his whole time talking about how bad Williams were and very little of his season ahead with Red Bull. He really is sounding like a whinger I'm afraid. He'd be better served concentrating on the season ahead as it will be a vital one for him if he is to really make the grade in F1. He's in a mid-ranking team having been overlooked for the Renault drive in favour of Fisichella and a rookie (albeit a very talented one), even though Flavio Briatore is his manager - hardly a ringing endorsement if Flav thought he was the real deal.....

If he doesn't prove to completely outperform David Coulthard in the twilight of his career then Webber will need to start looking at himself instead of criticising others.

Personally I think all true F1 fans should be cheering Williams this season, whatever you might think of them. It will be fantastic for them to do well in F1. Why ? Well simply, they are a company that exists purely to race in Formula One - no other reason. Everyone else is there to market their road cars, sell fizzy drinks or whatever - but Williams have no other purpose in life but to race - true enthusiasts indeed.

And we need them to continue. Yes F1 is very healthy with manufacturers at the moment, but what happens if the environmental debate really hits - a few years down the line manufacturers may well be going along with a big envioronmental message/marketing to sell cars - and if that sells them more cars, then watch them drop out of F1. At least with the likes of Williams, you know they are hear for the long haul - one way or the other.

So if you are a genuine F1 fan, give them a cheer this year  Smile

bill142

Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:58 pm

Quoting Cornish (Reply 123):
He really is sounding like a whinger I'm afraid

Deep down every F1 driver is. Just these days the PR guy steps in and spins what they say.

Journalist: "How was the car today?"
Driver: "The car's crap"
PR Guy: "What the driver really meant was, the car is excellent"

Quoting Cornish (Reply 123):
Everyone else is there to market their road cars, sell fizzy drinks or whatever - but Williams have no other purpose in life but to race - true enthusiasts indeed.

While it is true that Williams only exist to race, Frank and Patrick are going to find it increasingly harder in the future. All of the problems at Williams is reported to be the structure of the team. Frank and Patrick need to let go of some of the responsibility instead of trying to have this one foot in, one foot out style that seems to be going on.

cornish

Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:30 pm

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 124):
Deep down every F1 driver is.

Oh absolutely- and not deep down in many cases. But really I've heard more in the clsoe season from how bad it was at Williams than i have about how the season ahead at Red Bull with Renault engines, Newey et al. IF and I know its a big if, Webber qualifies/finishes behind one of the Williams in the first race I shall be laughing for sure as he'll look like a complete prat.

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 124):
While it is true that Williams only exist to race, Frank and Patrick are going to find it increasingly harder in the future. All of the problems at Williams is reported to be the structure of the team. Frank and Patrick need to let go of some of the responsibility instead of trying to have this one foot in, one foot out style that seems to be going on.

Hmm yes and no - some say it, others don't. They are very single minded, stubborn individuals for sure, and sometimes it has served them well, and other times it hasn't. It didn't work for them with BMW, despite a highly promising start, it worked spectacualrly well with Renault though. They still have one of the biggest teams in F1, with some of the most skilled personnel - but i agree, the longer they go on without success, the harder it will be for them to regain that.

But also, when the time comes when some manufacturers pull out of F1 - either due to environmental issues or because they are uncompetitive and losing to their compeititors (how long will Toyota accept failure I wonder) - we will need the like sof Williams there to keep the numbers up.

sudden

Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:02 pm

Testing now starts to bring down the track times rapidly, and today Ferrari is more or less a second faster then Hamilton, Mclaren.
http://www.formula1.com/news/5648.html

Aim for the sky!
Sudden

sudden

Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:53 pm

Some more news,

Schimu to take over Jean Todt's position at the end of this year!?
When Schumi was asked by the press about this earlier, he then said that he would not be able to as he does not have what it takes.
What do you think?
http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2007/...acher_visits_ferrari_in_barcelona/

Aim for the sky!
Sudden

jamesbuk

Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:35 am

Quoting Sudden (Reply 127):

Hmm I dont think he'd be able to run the team after only one year out as a driver, He might be good as the lead strategist, but I think itd have to wait a few years before he's experienced enough out side of driver life.

Rgds --James--

jamesbuk

Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:24 am

Guys is this the livery of the new honda???

http://www.desktopmachine.com/pics/BAR-003-1152.jpg

Rgds --James--

bill142

Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:18 pm

Pics not loading. But I doubt it is (whatever it looks like). The livery is due to be launched on the 26th of this month.

cornish

Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:26 pm

I've read in Autosport that as part of Honda's "environmental" livery, it will feature a series of images from Google Earth on the car  Wow! along with various "green" sponsors.

It really could look VERY different indeed.

ba757

Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:36 pm

Quoting Cornish (Reply 125):

Quoting Cornish (Reply 131):
I've read in Autosport that as part of Honda's "environmental" livery, it will feature a series of images from Google Earth on the car along with various "green" sponsors.

It really could look VERY different indeed.

That could be very interesting - I will be interested to see how they have made that work on the car.

Adam

bill142

Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:24 am

Quoting BA757 (Reply 132):

That could be very interesting - I will be interested to see how they have made that work on the car.

It would be. It would be very difficult to do considering all the weight of the paint that would be used. Unless it's going to be one big vinyl sticker.

ba757

Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:38 am

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 133):
It would be. It would be very difficult to do considering all the weight of the paint that would be used. Unless it's going to be one big vinyl sticker.

It has to be a vinyl sticker really, painting a photo onto an F1 car would undoubtedly be very difficult, even with the advances in painting technology.

Vinyl however still isn't the lightest thing in the world either.

Adam

kaddyuk
Topic Author

Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:39 am

Quoting BA757 (Reply 134):
Vinyl however still isn't the lightest thing in the world either

You do know that they add lead weights inside the car to make them all the same weight...

Therefore Honda will need less lead inside the car to compensate for the vinyl stickers  Smile

HKGKaiTak

Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:52 pm

Quoting Kaddyuk (Reply 135):
You do know that they add lead weights inside the car to make them all the same weight...

Therefore Honda will need less lead inside the car to compensate for the vinyl stickers

Yes but the lead weights are placed in optimal places AND as low as possible. Vinyl stickers will cover the whole car, which includes high up bits everywhere, like top of monocoque, engine cover etc ...

sudden

Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:04 pm

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 137):
In the news this week.

Bitter Villenuve blasts Raikkonen

LOL!
He sure has a big mouth for someone who got kicked out of F1. Kubica pushing the car to much!? On the contrary, Kubica is actually racing with the car. More then you could say about Villenuve. Big grin

Raikkonen is not a champion material!?
Well, he is after all still in F1 to be able to try, and he went from one top team to another. Can not remember that happening to Villenuve.  scratchchin  Big grin

The article sure made me laugh, so thanks for posting.  Wink

Aim for the sky!
Sudden

cornish

Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:43 pm

Quoting Sudden (Reply 138):

Well I've actually read the full magazine article rather than the snippets and to be fair i agree with most of what Villeneuve says. Its actually not as sour grapes as you might think....

He doesn't slag off BMW despite getting the boot, and his comments about Kubica are quite valid in some respects. Kubica has been a tremendous breath of fresh air in F1 - but he DOES have to be careful not to overdrive the car. Apart ofrm his podium last year which was really fantastic, in every other race he was off the road and that cost him a good dose of points. Not a problem in a part season where he needed to make his mark, but he will need to stop that this season (especially with the BMW looking so good so far) or BMW will soon tire of the mistakes when he costs them valuable points. Its especially the case that he could have problems with the new tyres. Having said that - better for Kubica to be quick and then tidy things up, rather than be tidy and then have to find speed, but he really will need to find consistancy this season to keep moving forward and show the talent he clearly has.

His points about Raikkonen are fair in many ways too - if perhaps a little harsher than they should be. Raikkonen does need to prove at Ferrari that he can LEAD a team completely a la Schuey and Alonso if he is to be a true great. Not just to be a quick driver, but to hone the complete package and develop the car and put in the work thats needed to be a champion. Easy if the Ferrari has a big advantage over the opposition, but should other teams have comparable cars then he will have to start showing his true desire. Villeneuve felt that Raikkonen wasn't prepared to put the work in - and he's not the only person who thinks that.

Villenueve had a lot of good things to say about Alonso of course- the most complete driver out there and deserved twice champion. He also said a lot of good things about Heidfeld too. But he really couldn't understand the hype around Webber. Was also very generous in his praise about Button and admitted he had got him very wrong as a teammate when he first arrived at BAR.

nosedive

Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:17 am

Dear Mr. Speed,

You're slow. You're cocky. And you act as if you don't give a damn. Why are you on my team?

Signed,

Gerhard Berger

Quote:
Speed touched down in Bahrain this week for what would be his only pre-season test before Melbourne.

What's odd is the article states that STR wants to give Speed a longer contract, but Berger "wants" him gone?

We're fast, we just break. Kubica

Whining Webber

Skyper in the back

cornish

Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:07 am

And here is the Honda;

http://www.crash.net/picture_view_single~cid~1~pid~332396.htm

not sure at the moment - looks good static - but on TV at speed im not sure.....

jamesbuk

Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:21 am

Quoting Cornish (Reply 141):

It looks well crap. Dont like it one bit, what happened with the google map images and whatever else was said to be on there?

Rgds --James--

legoguy

Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:41 am

wow, so much for my green and white!

ba757

Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:00 am

Quoting Jamesbuk (Reply 142):
It looks well crap. Dont like it one bit, what happened with the google map images and whatever else was said to be on there?

Isn't that supposed to be a satellite photo of the UK or Japan or something? It is really hard to tell.

not sure at the moment - looks good static - but on TV at speed im not sure.....

It looks different. I certainly don't dislike it - lets hope they don't stick sponsors names all over it.

However, the most stunning looking car on the grid is still the Mclaren.

Adam

[Edited 2007-02-25 20:02:24]

bill142

Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:05 am

And here is the Honda;

There are still rumors floating around about the livery. The official launch happens later today. Apparently Google will be announced as a sponsor.

Quoting BA757 (Reply 144):
However, the most stunning looking car on the grid is still the Mclaren.

And it always will be  wink 

nosedive

Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:27 am

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 145):
There are still rumors floating around about the livery. The official launch happens later today. Apparently Google will be announced as a sponsor.

God I hope its changed.

bill142

Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:01 am

Quoting Nosedive (Reply 146):
God I hope its changed.

Even tho it is radical, it's still fairly bland.

nosedive

Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:29 am

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 147):
bland

Bland? It looks like someone bought the rights to the old prost livery and threw up on it.

bill142

Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:25 am

Quoting Nosedive (Reply 148):
Bland? It looks like someone bought the rights to the old prost livery and threw up on it.

And since when has vomit been appealing?