Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

GoAround
Topic Author

Work In Customer Service?

Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:27 pm

Yo,

When I'm not at uni, I work in Customer Service at a Theme Park. Have to deal with lots of angry people face-to-face, and also on the phone.

Just wondering if you have any tips or special tricks for dealing with people? One good one we use is the phrase "I have arranged for you to receive (insert freebie here". Always makes the customer feel valued!

Would love to hear your tales.
GoAround

JetJock22

RE: Work In Customer Service?

Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:33 pm

Quoting GoAround (Thread starter):
Have to deal with lots of angry people face-to-face, and also on the phone.

I tend to see those kind of people more often than not, working in the airline industry and all.

kmh1956

Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:35 pm

Smilen and just be NICE....you'll always catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

GoAround
Topic Author

Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:55 pm

Quoting Kmh1956 (Reply 2):
Smilen and just be NICE....you'll always catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

True. I think as a department we are very professional, though sometimes it gets very difficult when you have to refuse someone something you can't give them... How do you deal with this?
GoAround

TransWorldSTL

Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:32 am

Quoting GoAround (Thread starter):

When I'm not at uni, I work in Customer Service at a Theme Park.

I'm at Retail Manager at Six Flags St. Louis (A major theme park, part of the largest chain of parks in the world), and I get to experience 2 million "guests" a year, with a small portion being completely irate.

When there's trouble in one of my stores, I'm always the one who gets radioed, because people say I have a way with people.. I LOVE Retail and Customer Service, especially when I'm able to resolve problems, and make the guest walk away from the experience with a smile on their face(s). I guess thats how I managed to get promoted at a young age.

At Six Flags, during initial training, we're taught to L.E.A.D (Listen; Empathize; Apologize; Discuss/Direct) This seems to work well with angry guests.

Josh

atct

Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:46 am

This is why im no longer in Customer Service  Smile Dont like the service? take t and stick it somewhere where the sun dont shine  Smile

Anywho just remember you are there to support the customer. Make it so they go away happy, and life is good.

ATCT <-many many years of customer service...no longer  Smile
Trikes are for kids!

57AZ

Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:54 pm

Actually, I love working the customer counter whenever I get assigned to it. If a customer asks us to do something that I cannot do, I have no problem telling them that I cannot help them with that situation. Most of the time I can simply tell them that as an officer of the court, the Arizona Revised Statutes clearly state that I cannot answer that question or accomodate that request.

One of the most frequent questions we get is "what should I do in my situation?" In that case, I have to inform the customer that the Constitution of the State of Arizona prohibits court clerks from doing anything that might be construed as giving legal advice. Furthermore, the determination of what constitutes "giving legal advice" is left to each clerk to define. This is a rare situation in which the individual clerk is the ultimate arbitor and rarely does the customer win if the situation is taken to a supervisor. Since this is a legal prohibition, the supervisors err on the side of caution which inevitably means backing the clerk. If you come in with a chip on your shoulder, most likely you will have a bad experiance.

Also, we are prohibited from giving any assistance to any party when it comes to filling out papers or forms. There are legal implications to consider plus it would be unethical. We can, however, answer questions about court processes and general questions about matters such as Dissolution of Marriage, filing fees, passport applications or Orders of Protection/Injunctions Against Harassment (restraining orders).

Some of the stuff I deal with is worse that any of you might imagine. One of my duties is to work the Domestic Violence desk, processing petitions for restraining orders (Orders of Protection/Injunctions Against Harassment in the State of Arizona). Part of the job involves taking the petitioners up to court to see the judge and we hear all sorts of stories. Most of the stories are rathar run of the mill but every so often we hear some real horror stories. In some cases, the petition is denied as the evidence presented does not permit the judge to issue an order. In most cases, the evidence does permit the judge to issue the order and we then have to process the papers and direct the plaintiff as to what they need to do to have the order served on the defendant and what they need to do to ensure their safety. This week looks to be off to a bad start-had eight petitions today. We have a full moon later this week and then the Superbowl so it looks like it will be a busy couple of weeks for me as the wife-beaters will be at their worst over the weekend.

The one thing that I as an officer of the court have to keep in mind is that I cannot solve the customer's problems. In our business, only the customer can solve his or her problem. All we can do is execute our duties as accurately and efficiently, whether it be processing paperwork or informing them of resources that are available (legal aid, domestic violence assistance, etc.). All we can do is point them to the tools and hope they take advantage of them.
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."

CroCop

Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:29 pm

Quoting JetJock22 (Reply 1):
I tend to see those kind of people more often than not, working in the airline industry and all.

Then they want something for nothing. I have heard other agents just apologize, and continue with their day.
Mirko "CroCop" Filipovic

CV990A

Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:54 am

Easy- blame the salesperson for misleading the client, and get the client in contact with the salesperson.  mischievous 
Kittens Give Morbo Gas

GQfluffy

Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:39 am

Well, I'm a CSA/ramper, so I guess I kinda work in Customer Service. We do have a dedicated Customer Service Manager, and all she does is take calls and follow up on complaints and whatnot. Wouldn't trade for her job with all tea in China...
This isn't where I parked my car...

B737-112

Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:11 am

I worked with angry customers for over six years and all I can say is Xanax.

LFutia

Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:52 am

I work at Tech Services for CompUSA. I get screamed at atleast once every two weeks. Sooo many stories.

Leo
Leo/ORD

greasespot

Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:56 am

Gee i left customer service for 14 years becasue of angry peeps....now i get to deal with the most agry of them all....Go figure

GS
Sometimes all you can do is look them in the eye and ask " how much did your mom drink when she was pregnant with you?"

LOT767-300ER

Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:24 am

Quoting Lfutia (Reply 11):
I work at Tech Services for CompUSA. I get screamed at atleast once every two weeks. Sooo many stories.

Thats because you work at that overpriced trash can you tart.

LFutia

Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:31 am

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 13):
Thats because you work at that overpriced trash can you tart.

Some things are overpriced, some aren't. A job is a job ya damn tart.

Leo
Leo/ORD

HKGKaiTak

Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:54 am

I do, and in a call centre environment to boot. It is not nice at all. (And you'd think people going on holidays are actually nice to deal with)

Any wonder I'm leaving next week to head back into academia where I become the client???  Smile
4 Engines 4 LongHaul

skyservice_330

Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:17 am

I worked in customer service at a retail store here in Canada all through high school. Your best bet, kill them with kindness. Just keep smiling, be polite, and do your best to make them happy.

jycarlisle

Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:23 am

Try working front desk customer service at a hotel which is located on a major interstate 1/2 way between JFK and MIA. All I can say is, been there, done that. Not again. (Unless if it is a last resort.)

Cheers.
"CHANGE IS: CLEAN PLANES AND DIRTY MARTINIS" (DL)

corey07850

Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:58 am

Quoting Jycarlisle (Reply 17):
Try working front desk customer service at a hotel which is located on a major interstate 1/2 way between JFK and MIA. All I can say is, been there, done that. Not again. (Unless if it is a last resort.)

South of the Border???  Wink

asuflyer05

Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:47 pm

Smile and be positive. When faced with a beef, just show empathy for the customer. Build some rapport and make the feel like you are working with them towards a common goal.

And remember, perception = reality.

I am a finance manager for a car dealership so when all else fails...

Quoting CV990A (Reply 8):
Easy- blame the salesperson for misleading the client, and get the client in contact with the salesperson.

"Your salesperson told you you qualify for 3.9% APR? That's funny since you were approved at 10.99%. Not a problem, sounds like your salesperson just volunteered to buy down the rate for you out of his pocket. He's very generous."

trident3

Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:35 pm

A couple of good tips I was given when I worked in retail
If you can , come out from behind your desk or counter, it removes the physical barrier between the customer and you.
When talking to the customer try to stand next to them not opposite to them, this gives the customer the impression that you are on their side.
"We are the warrior race-Tough men in the toughest sport." Brian Noble, Head Coach, Great Britain Rugby League.