b741
Topic Author

Best US President

Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:34 am

Wondering about opinions on who was the best president for the nation. Andrew Jackson, Abraham Lincoln and George Washington come to mind.
Being Bilingual, I Speak English And Aviation

AirTranTUS

RE: Best US President

Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:40 am

I love ASO!

Superfly

Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:43 am

We should have elected George McGovern.
He would have been the best.  duck 
Bring back the Concorde

AirCop

Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:10 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 2):
We should have elected George McGovern.

Obliviously you weren't of age in 1972 Presidential election. The McGovern camp could have wrote a textbook on how not to run for president.

AsstChiefMark

Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:15 am

William Henry Harrison was the best President. He didn't make a single controversial decision during his entire presidency.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Henry_Harrison

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

Superfly

Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:15 am

AirCop:
Dude I wasn't even born yet.
I just threw that out there because this topic comes up all the time and they usually turn in to flamefest.
So I picked a candidate that lost by a lot but from what I've read about him, he seemed like a good man with good intentions.
I also know that it would raise a lot of eyebrows.
Bring back the Concorde

tz757300

Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:53 am

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 4):
He didn't make a single controversial decision during his entire presidency.

I would hope not, he was only in office for a month.
LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!

CastleIsland

Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:41 am

He didn't make a single controversial decision during his entire presidency.

One could argue that choosing to forego his overcoat on a cold inauguration day is controversial... Wink
"People don't do what they believe in, they just do what's most convenient, then they repent." - Dylan

Palladium

Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:52 am

Ronald Reagan

I hope Hilary Clinton will be the next one

csavel

Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:19 am

FDR stands out

WWII and the depression, yes I know lots of his depression era programs outlived their usefulness and ossified into welfare state entitlements, but he was dead by then - not his fault. He *had* to do that or the US would have either gone fascist or communist. A quarter of the work force A QUARTER was out of work in the depths of the depression. You can't have a stable country with that kind of economic displacement.

Garfield would've been a good president had he not been assassinated. Seriously, read up on him.

Quasi good

Gerald Ford, other than the Nixon thing he did squat.

Eisenhower, although he actually started meddling in Iran which is one of the reasons, (and the only justified one) why they hate us.
I may be ugly. I may be an American. But don't call me an ugly American.

DL787932ER

Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:44 am

Quoting Palladium (Reply 8):
Ronald Reagan

checkmark 

How in the world do you follow up Reagan with Hillary?  Confused You don't get much farther apart politically than those two.

I will say this: I think it's very difficult to judge more modern Presidents against those who served many years ago. Some may like Reagan but feel that Washington, for example, was "better" but I don't think it's possible to reasonably compare someone who ran the country as it was just starting out with a modern President of an established world power. So I will say that Reagan was the best President of the past 100 years, with the caveat that I don't think it's reasonable to compare farther back than that.
F L Y D E L T A J E T S

speedbird747BA

Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:49 am

Washington, Lincoln, Reagan. All great, Reagan the best since Lincoln IMO.

Cheers,
Kyle
How long do I have to climb, up on the side of this mountain of mine?

thepilot

Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:57 am

Quoting Csavel (Reply 9):
Garfield would've been a good president had he not been assassinated. Seriously, read up on him.

Very true. This guy would have easily won two terms, in my opinion. Damn you Charles Julius Guiteau!!!! Garfield is the only person in US history to be a Congressman, Senator-elect, and President-elect at the same time.
From YVR

NKP S2

Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:43 am

Theodore Roosevelt. A great combination of excellent ideals and pragmatism. After reading his biography, I was taken by how much is really the same politic-wise a century ago as it is today. His common-sense approach is sorely needed today. I sure wish he were alive today, if he were, I could talk to him for hours on politics.

ordryan28

Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:02 pm

well..we've had several great presidents..

Lincoln, JFK, Washington, Raegan, Teddy Roosevelt, and Andrew Jackson certainly are some of the more obvious, and well-deserving presidents.

economically, as much as I would not like to admit it, Bill Clinton was terrific. The U.S.'s economy has never been higher, probably never will be, IMO. Jobs were not scarce, either..

we've all heard the phrase "no one died when Clinton lied"

..well, it is true. He did do one hell of a job statistically.
Whoever said winning is not everything never fought cancer.

allstarflyer

Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:11 pm

He was asking best President - not best possible future President (or, perhaps in her case, best example of how not to be President).

Quoting DL787932ER (Reply 10):
How in the world do you follow up Reagan with Hillary? You don't get much farther apart politically than those two.

rotfl  That was a good one wasn't it? That's akin to saying Lincoln would have made a great Confederate President.

Quoting DL787932ER (Reply 10):
Ronald Reagan

checkmark 

I also love good ol' "Speak softly and carry a big stick" T.R.

-R
Living the American Dream

gunsontheroof

Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:55 pm

Quoting B741 (Thread starter):
Andrew Jackson

I'm sure that the thousands of Cherokees and other Native Americans that died as the result of his Indian Removal policies would agree. How that murdering bastard's mug ever made it onto a piece of our national currency is far beyond me.

Eisenhower, although he actually started meddling in Iran which is one of the reasons, (and the only justified one) why they hate us.

Not to mention that little debacle in Guatemala...although in Eisenhower's defense, the Dulles brothers may have had a lot more instrumental in pushing those overthrows through than he was.

Quoting NKP S2 (Reply 13):
Theodore Roosevelt.

Gotta love that corollary to the Monroe Doctrine...not to mention the guy was appallingly racist. I will give him credit for his apparent encounter with a sasquatch in the Washington Cascades though...

Ronald Reagan

I think we can all agree that deficit spending on enormous military projects is a great idea.

Quite frankly, I can't think of one American president I'd consider "great" (nor can I think of one post-WWII president who I don't consider to be a criminal), but Jefferson and Washington espoused enough wise principles in their days for me to feel comfortable giving them my nod for the sake of an a.net thread.
Picked a hell of a week to quit sniffing glue.

ME AVN FAN

Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:03 pm

Thomas Jefferson should be mentioned, but in a few years maybe Mrs Hillary Clinton
-

Halcyon

Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:41 pm

Teddy, Reagan, Lincoln...I would have loved to have known Truman.

copaair737

Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:44 pm

Richard M. Nixon.

-Copa
Livin' on Reds, Vitamin C, and Cocaine

Halcyon

Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:53 pm

Quoting Copaair737 (Reply 19):
Richard M. Nixon.

I'd vote for that, you hippies!

Lucas  Wink

thepilot

Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:46 am

for me.

John F. Kennedy
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Theodore Roosevelt
Abraham Lincoln
George Washington
Harry Truman
Woodrow Wilson
Thomas Jefferson
James Garfield

I would have loved to see Bobby Kennedy president.

Worst
Andrew Johnson
Warren G. Harding
George W. Bush
From YVR

Archie Bunker

Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:33 am

Herbert Hoover

fxramper

Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:36 am

Teddy Roosevelt was always my favorite, but James K Polk acquired more land for the US than all other presidents combined. His Senate actually gave up portions of Northern Mexico in the Gadsden Purchase.

William Henry Harrison was the best President

humor?  confused 

CroCop

Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:27 am

Best we have ever had?

Ronald Wilson Reagan
Voted The Greatest American
Mirko "CroCop" Filipovic

AirCop

Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:34 am

Quoting FXramper (Reply 23):
. His Senate actually gave up portions of Northern Mexico in the Gadsden Purchase.

And if the survey team did its job right, and stay away from the alcohol (according to popular legend) Arizona might have a seaport today.

stlgph

Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:40 am

The Abe - o - Litionist.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

Palladium

Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:58 am

A healthy country must have a well-balanced government system, meaning
they should include low and middle class to be part of the system, not just the upper class. This is something that every country should think about.

Imagine if people like you / us take part in the government system, maybe we could have a better country. Imagine if you can be the President. Bush is not smarter than regular people like us, there's possibility that people like us can lead this country much better than Bush.

Good government system leads to good president. A president can't control everything even thou he has the power to do it.

Ronald Reagan sure is one of the best president ever to occupied in White House
Bill Clinton is an awesome president except the scandal thing... but that is nothing compare to current worst IRAQ war.

ATCme

Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:06 am

William Henry Harrison was the best President. He didn't make a single controversial decision during his entire presidency.

But think, he also didn't have time for a good decision either. So he's basically the "nothing" president. Yet sadly, there are people below him on the list too.
My AP US History teacher gave me a sheet with the scholar-agreed list. Lincoln at the top, Clinton about 1/3 down, and Harrison about 6 from the bottom. Sadly, Bush the Jr. wasn't on the list, too recent (It's from a textbook after all).

ATCme spin 
I'm from the FAA, and I'm here to help. Really. Yes I'm serious, I'm here to help you.

AirCop

Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:15 am

Just saw a poll conducted by ICR between 12/26 and 12/30/06 and published in this months AARP Bulletin:
For all age groups, the favorite Presidents are:
Bill Clinton at 26%
Ronald Reagan - 15%
John Kennedy - 12%
Abe Lincoln - 11%
Franklin Roosevelt - 5%
George W Bush - 5% (I can't believe this one)
George Washington -5%
Other interesting numbers;
60% claim America is ready for a women president (actually the number spells trouble for Hillary)
63% would support an African American for president
and finally
55% would NOT vote for a Mormon (Really bad news for Rommey)

DC10extender

Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:32 am

Quoting NKP S2 (Reply 13):
Theodore Roosevelt. A great combination of excellent ideals and pragmatism. After reading his biography, I was taken by how much is really the same politic-wise a century ago as it is today. His common-sense approach is sorely needed today. I sure wish he were alive today, if he were, I could talk to him for hours on politics.

checkmark   checkmark   checkmark   checkmark   checkmark 

Quoting AirCop (Reply 29):

That is because many Americans did't pay attention in history and they don't really know any others.
Did you ever read on your birth certificate that life is fair? Thats cause its not there.

ME AVN FAN

Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:21 pm

Quoting CroCop (Reply 24):
Ronald Wilson Reagan
Voted The Greatest American

the greatest American ACTOR ?  confused  scratchchin 

Eagle11

Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:22 pm

Abraham Lincoln

checkmark  That guy had a lot of guts and never backed down from a fight.

George Washington

checkmark  Great general too. If it wasn't for his military prowess, he wouldn't have been president in the first place.

Ronald Reagan

checkmark  Loved by almost everyone.

Eisenhower

checkmark  Another great general. Plus he passed the Interstate Highway Act, one of my personal favorites

Quoting Copaair737 (Reply 19):
Richard M. Nixon.

checkmark  Really didn't do too bad of a job (if you forget about Watergate). Remember that he won that election in 1972 in a landslide.

Quoting FXramper (Reply 23):
James K Polk

checkmark  Another one of my personal favorites for his visions of expansion.
"The Eagle has landed"

NASCARAirforce

Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:00 pm

Quoting AirCop (Reply 29):

I can. Look at the idiots that still drive around with the Bush Cheney 2004 stickers on their cars in 2007, it is either that they are too lazy to remove the stickers or they are actually still proud of their vote in 2004.

Greatest presidents in order:

Thomas Jefferson
Abe Lincoln
George Washington
Teddy Roosevelt
Ronald Reagan

aloha73g

Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:39 pm

Even if you disagree with Reagan, and many do, you have to give him credit for being to able to clearly articulate his conservative beliefs and values to the American people. His delivery of brilliantly written speeches (by Peggy Noonan, and others) is unmatched. The guy had the guts to stand up to the Soviet Union (in a BIG way) and had a great sense of humor!!

He is often discredited with the "deficit spending" line, but you must remember that it was a Democratic Congress passing the budgets during his preseidency and he was never able to implement cuts he wanted to. Interestingly, Clinton did do alot of the cuts Reagan wanted to (Ginrich's "Contract with America," 1994) and he did achieve a bidget surplus.

-Aloha!
Aloha Airlines - The Spirit Moves Us. Gone but NEVER Forgotten. Aloha, A Hui Hou!

copaair737

Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:44 pm

Quoting Eagle11 (Reply 32):

checkmark Really didn't do too bad of a job (if you forget about Watergate). Remember that he won that election in 1972 in a landslide.

Yeah, he ended Vietnam and Opened relations with China too. He was very, very underrated IMO.

-Copa
Livin' on Reds, Vitamin C, and Cocaine

gunsontheroof

Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:48 pm

Quoting Eagle11 (Reply 32):
Another one of my personal favorites for his visions of expansion.

"Visions of expansion?" The guy was bound and determined to get California at any cost and he provoked Mexico into a war to do it...then he stole half of their country when it was over. Hardly something to admire. I don't know who I'd call the worst president of all time, but I won't say it's not Polk.
Picked a hell of a week to quit sniffing glue.

aloha73g

Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:30 pm

Quoting Copaair737 (Reply 35):
Yeah, he ended Vietnam and Opened relations with China too. He was very, very underrated IMO.

Agreed. Nixon would have probably been a "Top 10" if Watergate hadn't happened. His wife Pat is also very much underrated as far as First Ladies go...she worked quietly behind the scenes (like Laura Bush, and unlike Hillary Clinton).

-Aloha!
Aloha Airlines - The Spirit Moves Us. Gone but NEVER Forgotten. Aloha, A Hui Hou!