Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dtwclipper
Topic Author

Pelosi Requests The Use of Military A/C.

Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:29 am

Before OU et. al. bring it up, I heard on CBS radio (main stream media) and on the link below (which I hate to use) that the speaker of the house wants to use an Air Force 757 to travel back to her district. Since 9/11 the speaker has used an Air Force aircraft as the speaker is 2cd in line to the Presidency, but is a 757 really needed?

http://washingtontimes.com/national/20070207-123706-5963r.htm

[Edited 2007-02-07 17:29:54]
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

TedTAce

Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:33 am

Quoting Dtwclipper (Thread starter):
but is a 757 really needed?

That I can think of  no ; the G-V should be fine. This is borderline a mil/space thread as the real question is a SAM ops question.
This space intentionally left blank

strasserb

Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:33 am

Yes, you're right.
A SevenOfNine is better then a 757.
Still, even in the most arid desert is an airport somewhere ...

airtran737

Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:38 am

Before OU et. al. bring it up, I heard on CBS radio (main stream media) and on the link below (which I hate to use) that the speaker of the house wants to use an Air Force 757 to travel back to her district. Since 9/11 the speaker has used an Air Force aircraft as the speaker is 2cd in line to the Presidency, but is a 757 really needed?

She doesn't need to use a 757. Drive your ass to IAD, and book a First Class ticket on United Airlines. Ms. Pelosi has a case of "my dick is bigger than yours" syndrome. These people do not need to waste taxpayer money running a shuttle serveice, Democrats and Republicans.

[Edited 2007-02-07 17:39:48]
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

ORFflyer

Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:42 am

Quoting AirTran737 (Reply 3):
Ms. Pelosi has a case of "my dick is bigger than yours" syndrome

Maybe, but being 2nd in line, a few perks do come with the territory.

airtran737

Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:45 am

Quoting ORFflyer (Reply 4):
Maybe, but being 2nd in line, a few perks do come with the territory

I will give you that, but the 757 is a widely used airplane. The Vice Pres, Sec of State etc use that airplane. She can get on the DC-9 that they have or maybe one of the Gulfstreams

searpqx

Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:46 am

the speaker of the house wants to use an Air Force 757 to travel back to her district.

Doesn't the State of Alaska have a spare 'Executive' aircraft they could loan her?  Wink

Of all the crap thats been thrown so far, this is the one that stinks. I can buy the security issues in providing her transportation, and the desire to fly nonstop isn't really out of line, but their are two other (smaller) aircraft that can accomplish this. Where she gets off thinking the military has the obligation to tote around her entourage is beyond me.
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

JAL777

Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:47 am

I guess actively working to reduce global warming is for OTHER people.  Yeah sure

halls120

Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:47 am

Quoting ORFflyer (Reply 4):
Ms. Pelosi has a case of "my dick is bigger than yours" syndrome

Maybe, but being 2nd in line, a few perks do come with the territory.

Yes, but this perk is ridiculous. According to OMB Guidelines, members of the President's Cabinet cannot use government aircraft for official travel if commercial carriers are available - absent any special security concerns. Her being SOH is no different, and you can't tell me she would be in danger on a UA domestic flight.

She should haul her ass out to IAD and fly on one of the many UA nonstops to SFO.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

aloges

Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:49 am

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 1):
That I can think of  no  ; the G-V should be fine.

Agreed. Then again, you could as well argue if a flying command post needs to be the size of a 747-200.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

AeroWesty

Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:51 am

Drive your ass to IAD, and book a First Class ticket on United Airlines.

Former Speaker Hastert was given the use of Air Force jets for security reasons, and his ass was MUCH larger.

the speaker of the house wants to use an Air Force 757 to travel back to her district.

This may possibly be inaccurate and misleading. There has also been no direct request for a C-32/757 that I know of. Speaker Pelosi wants an aircraft that will make it to California non-stop, and that has the capacity to carry the California delegation who would have to otherwise fly on paid tickets. If a plane is already going, it makes sense to capture the economies of scale.

Even according to the article you linked, "the Air Force is studying what types of planes are available for long, cross-country flights. Currently, three planes assigned to the 89th Airlift Wing at Andrews Air Force Base can make such nonstop flights year-round -- the C-32, C-40B and C-37."

The C-32 is a 757 equivalent, the C-40B is a 737-700 equivalent, and the C-37 is a version of the G-IV that is 8' longer.

The details need to be worked out to right-size the plane to the mission, and whom may fly on it.
International Homo of Mystery

TedTAce

Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:56 am

Quoting StrasserB (Reply 2):
A SevenOfNine is better then a 757.

rotfl 

no 

ORFflyer

Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:04 am

Quoting AirTran737 (Reply 5):
but the 757 is a widely used airplane

Isn't there two?

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 8):
absent any special security concerns.

Agreed, but how hard is she going to have to argue that one in this day in age.....

and you can't tell me she would be in danger on a UA domestic flight

No I can't, but see comment above. Where perceptions are concerned, facts are irrelevant.

TedTAce

Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:04 am

the DC-9

rotfl  How many stops would it take her to get to SFO? Not a viable choice given her position.

airtran737

Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:17 am

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 13):
How many stops would it take her to get to SFO? Not a viable choice given her position.

I think it is. The DC-9 is loud and obnoxious, so is Nancy. Besides, she talked about spreading San Francisco values throughout America. Having to flag stop the DC-9 will allow her to spread the values. Flag stop it in a different state everytime.

TedTAce

Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:35 am

Quoting AirTran737 (Reply 14):
I think it is. The DC-9 is loud and obnoxious, so is Nancy. Besides, she talked about spreading San Francisco values throughout America. Having to flag stop the DC-9 will allow her to spread the values. Flag stop it in a different state everytime.

Oh the wisdom of the 21-25 age range.

gunsontheroof

Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:39 am

Pelosi doesn't need a 757...I'd love to hear why Bush needs a 747 when most heads of state around the world seem to get by just fine with 737s and smaller. Excess is nothing new with U.S. politicians, quit digging for controversy.
Picked a hell of a week to quit sniffing glue.

AirCop

Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:40 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 10):
Former Speaker Hastert was given the use of Air Force jets for security reasons, and his ass was MUCH larger.

There has also been no direct request for a C-32/757 that I know of. Speaker Pelosi wants an aircraft that will make it to California non-stop

Last I looked San Francisco was just a wee bit further than Illinois from Washington DC. Flying non-stop is not unreasonable request at all, a real non-issue.

ltbewr

Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:47 am

Don't forget that the Congress recently passed new laws limiting and effectively banning Congress and Senate members from being pax for free on corporate aircraft. This was done as when on such aircraft, the legisgators were with lobbyists for the company as a captive audience so the corps could influence bills in their favor. It was just wrong. As a result of losing that perk, some long-distance members are probably looking for a free and more convenient ride than going commercial with the people that elect them.

ShyFlyer

Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:48 am

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 1):
the G-V should be fine

Agreed. Of the top of my head, I believe it can fly the entire round trip without refueling, but I could be wrong.

C-37 is a version of the G-IV that is 8' longer.

Actually, C-37s are based on the G-V. C-20Hs are based on the G-IV.

Quoting ORFflyer (Reply 12):
but the 757 is a widely used airplane

Isn't there two?

Inventory: Active force, 4; ANG: 0; Reserve: 0
I lift things up and put them down.

AeroWesty

Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:23 am

Quoting ShyFlyer (Reply 19):
Actually, C-37s are based on the G-V. C-20Hs are based on the G-IV.

You're correct. I went back to the webpage I used as a source and I indeed misread it. Good catch!  thumbsup 

halls120

Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:29 am

This may possibly be inaccurate and misleading. There has also been no direct request for a C-32/757 that I know of. Speaker Pelosi wants an aircraft that will make it to California non-stop, and that has the capacity to carry the California delegation who would have to otherwise fly on paid tickets. If a plane is already going, it makes sense to capture the economies of scale.

Even according to the article you linked, "the Air Force is studying what types of planes are available for long, cross-country flights. Currently, three planes assigned to the 89th Airlift Wing at Andrews Air Force Base can make such nonstop flights year-round -- the C-32, C-40B and C-37."

The C-32 is a 757 equivalent, the C-40B is a 737-700 equivalent, and the C-37 is a version of the G-IV that is 8' longer.

The details need to be worked out to right-size the plane to the mission, and whom may fly on it.

"If the plane is already going," then I don't see a problem with Pelosi and staff hopping on board. Otherwise, she can buy a ticket like the rest of us.

I've flown cross country on commercial flights with the Senators, Congressmen, even a presidential candidate. All these perks we are so eager to bestow on our new royal class are getting to be a bit much.

Quoting ORFflyer (Reply 12):
absent any special security concerns.

Agreed, but how hard is she going to have to argue that one in this day in age.....

What, TSA security isn't good enough for the SOH?  rotfl 

Look - pat down every passenger, make sure she has an armed security contingent on board - what the h*ll else does she need? Other than the potential danger of a United BOB meal, where's the potential danger?
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

jaysit

Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:30 am

Was her broom in the workshop under repair?
Atheism is Myth Understood.

TedTAce

Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:55 am

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 22):
Was her broom in the workshop under repair?

Hillary stole it from her.

gkirk

Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:17 am

Quoting Gunsontheroof (Reply 16):
.I'd love to hear why Bush needs a 747

With all due respect, it wasn't Bush's idea to order the 747 (or maybe it was?) ? Yeah sure
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

AeroWesty

Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:25 am

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 21):
"If the plane is already going," then I don't see a problem with Pelosi and staff hopping on board. Otherwise, she can buy a ticket like the rest of us.

From my understanding, it was the government itself that decided the Speaker of the House should fly by military transport. I don't make the rules, you don't make the rules, they make the rules.

All Speaker Pelosi is asking for is that the plane they provide be capable of making it nonstop to California, and that she allow those who are heading in the same direction be able to fly with her, rather than have them buy separate tickets for commercial travel.

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 21):
I've flown cross country on commercial flights with the Senators, Congressmen, even a presidential candidate.

The last time I changed planes at SLC, Sen. Gordon Smith (R-Ore.) was on the plane heading to PDX, apparently choosing to connect rather than take the UA nonstop from IAD (presuming that he wasn't coming in from somewhere else). I don't see a problem with that, but he's not SoH, and doesn't have security procedures implemented by the government over his travel. Funny no one was bothered when Rep. Hastert occupied the same office and had a jet at his disposal.

I thought this was an interesting article from the Fox Noise Channel:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,250781,00.html

[Pelosi] said reports filtering out into the media regarding inquiries about the use of a military plane the size of Air Force One for her travel to and from Washington, D.C., shows a "misrepresentation that could only be coming from the administration ... one would wonder why the practice deemed to be necessary from a security standpoint would be mischaracterized in the press."

The speaker, however, specifically omitted President Bush from her complaints. "I know that it's not coming from the president because he impressed upon me the amount of security I need to have."

So let's see, the President himself wants her to have increased security. The House Sergeant at Arms advised her in December that a plane was available to the person occupying her position "for security and communications purposes following September 11, 2001." She asked that it be able to fly nonstop to California. Perhaps any complaints or concerns should be addressed to the Oval Office.

gunsontheroof

Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:28 am

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 24):
With all due respect, it wasn't Bush's idea to order the 747 (or maybe it was?) ?

You're quite correct. What I was really getting at was that no head of state needs an aircraft of that size for personal transport. As far as Speaker Pelosi or any other state rep is concerned, I'm pretty much of the opinion that their non-commercial transport should be financed by their respective state and not the federal government. Perhaps Madam Speaker's place in line for the presidency should anything happen to Dubya or Darth Cheney makes her an exception to that idea, but otherwise, I think it should stand.
Picked a hell of a week to quit sniffing glue.

AeroWesty

Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:28 am

With all due respect, it wasn't Bush's idea to order the 747 (or maybe it was?) ?

Former Pres. Reagan ordered the current presidential fleet, and they were delivered near the end of Pres. Bush 41's administration. The first official trip he took in the new plane was to Helsinki, Finland.

TedTAce

Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:29 am

no 

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 27):
Former Pres. Reagan ordered the current presidential fleet, and they were delivered near the end of Pres. Bush 41's administration. The first official trip he took in the new plane was to Helsinki, Finland.

yes   yes   yes   yes   checkmark   checkmark   checkmark   checkmark 

n229nw

Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:32 am

Quoting JAL777 (Reply 7):
I guess actively working to reduce global warming is for OTHER people. Yeah sure

Too true, too true...
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

gkirk

Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:37 am

Perhaps Bush should order some lovely A319CJs?  duck 
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

OU812

Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:54 am

Before OU et. al. bring it up, I heard on CBS radio (main stream media)

So Nancy Pelosi wants a bigger one. What do you expect, she's a women! biggrin 

A 757 sounds a bit much. Are there 737's available for Pelosi that can easily make the coast to coast trip? I'm aware current 737's have more than enough range . However, the question is, are there 737's in Air Force One's inventory with adequate range to do the coast to coast flight safely?

confused 

airtran737

Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:58 am

Quoting OU812 (Reply 31):
However, the question is, are there 737's in Air Force One's inventory with adequate range to do the coast to coast flight safely?

The Air Force has lovely BBJ's that could easily do it. Still a waste if you ask me.

AeroWesty

Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:05 am

A 757 sounds a bit much.

I've searched and searched and searched, and I've been unable to find any reference to Speaker Pelosi specifically requesting a C-32/757. Perhaps either you or the thread-starter can come up with a definitive source. Not even the article the thread-starter linked referred to anything other than just a plane that could make it across the country nonstop.

lowrider

Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:06 am

Quoting Gunsontheroof (Reply 16):
I'd love to hear why Bush needs a 747 when most heads of state around the world seem to get by just fine with 737s and smaller.

Indeed, he could get by with a much smaller aircraft, but then the White House Press Corps, would have to provide thier own transport. I would love to hear the uproar over that.
Proud OOTSK member

MDorBust

Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:13 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 25):
All Speaker Pelosi is asking for is that the plane they provide be capable of making it nonstop to California, and that she allow those who are heading in the same direction be able to fly with her, rather than have them buy separate tickets for commercial travel.

Non stop flight: Yes
Fill any remaning seats on the plane with enroute delegations: Yes
Get a bigger plane to fit the whole California Congressional delegations: No

Nothing wrong with the C-37s.
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

OU812

Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:14 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 33):
A 757 sounds a bit much.

I've searched and searched and searched, and I've been unable to find any reference to Speaker Pelosi specifically requesting a C-32/757.

I've search too. And like you, was unable to reference Pelosi requesting such an a/c. Which is why I didn't start a thread & not attacking her as well.

At this time I have no idea what was said with all involved in this situation. However, Pelosi should be provided with an a/c with the range that can fly coast to coast without a problem.

[Edited 2007-02-08 00:15:25]

AeroWesty

RE: Pelosi And The 757

Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:26 am

Quoting OU812 (Reply 36):
I've search too. And like you, was unable to reference Pelosi requesting such an a/c. Which is why I didn't start a thread & not attacking her as well.

So I can presume that the only question left remaining unanswered is "if they serve tuna salad sandwiches inflight, will they be Star-Kist?"  stirthepot 

airtran737

RE: Pelosi Requests The Use Of Military A/C.

Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:37 am

I've searched and searched and searched, and I've been unable to find any reference to Speaker Pelosi specifically requesting a C-32/757. Perhaps either you or the thread-starter can come up with a definitive source. Not even the article the thread-starter linked referred to anything other than just a plane that could make it across the country nonstop.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/story?id=2857672&page=1

Various Republican officials in recent days have claimed that Pelosi has requested a C-32 plane for her travels — a luxurious and specially configured version of the Boeing 757-200 commercial intercontinental airliner. The plane seats 45 passengers with business-class accommodations and a crew of up to 16, depending on the mission. It features a communications center, fully enclosed stateroom for the primary passenger, changing area, conference facility, entertainment system, and a convertible divan that seats three and folds out to a bed. The C-32 can cost as much as $22,000 an hour to operate. It's normally used by the First Lady, the Vice President, Cabinet officials, and members of Congress upon request.

AeroWesty

Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:42 am

Quoting AirTran737 (Reply 38):

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/story...age=1

"I want an aircraft that will reach California," Pelosi told reporters Wednesday afternoon, insisting that she doesn't care what kind of plane it is as long as it can fly nonstop to her home district. "When they couldn't take me to California, I have to go commercial to see my family and my constituents."

Okay, so in the same article we have a quote from Speaker Pelosi saying that she doesn't care what size it is, and a reference to "various Republican officials" claiming it was for a specific plane. Who are these "officials" and why won't they identify themselves?

jmc1975

Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:43 am

Since 9/11 the speaker has used an Air Force aircraft as the speaker is 2cd in line to the Presidency, but is a 757 really needed?

The 757 is probably the most practical aircraft United can fly on the IAD-SFO route. That way, she can accrue mileage through UA's Mileage Plus program and donate the miles to all the victims of society she cares so deeply for.

[Edited 2007-02-08 00:47:39]

AeroWesty

Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:51 am

Quoting Jmc1975 (Reply 40):
The 757 is probably the most practical aircraft United can fly on the IAD-SFO.

UA flies a mix of 767s, 757s and A320s on the route at the moment. But what UA flies on the route has absolutely nothing to do with the topic of this thread.

Quoting Jmc1975 (Reply 40):
That way, she can accrue mileage through UA's Mileage Plus program and donate the miles to all the victims of society she care so deeply for.

Rep. Hastert could have done as well, however, the President himself advocates military transport for security and communications issues for the Speaker of the House. (Did you read any of this thread at all?)

dtwclipper
Topic Author

Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:58 am

Quoting OU812 (Reply 36):
I've search too. And like you, was unable to reference Pelosi requesting such an a/c.

've searched and searched and searched, and I've been unable to find any reference to Speaker Pelosi specifically requesting a C-32/757

CBS ran the story again tonight:
CBS) Ever since 9/11, a small military jet has been made available to transport the Speaker of the House for security reasons, CBS News correspondent Sharyl Attkisson reports. The Speaker is second in the line of succession to the presidency.

Before the 2006 elections, the speaker was Republican Dennis Hastert of Illinois. Now it's California Democrat Nancy Pelosi, and she may be getting some more leg room. Pelosi reportedly is asking for a much bigger jet — a government version of the Boeing 757 that can make the trip between Washington and her San Francisco home without stopping to refuel.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/...2/07/eveningnews/main2445668.shtml
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

halls120

Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:02 am

From my understanding, it was the government itself that decided the Speaker of the House should fly by military transport. I don't make the rules, you don't make the rules, they make the rules.

And the rules they have made result in a waste of the taxpayers money. I'd sure like to see the decision memo that sanctioned this farce. Anyone want to bet that if I file a FOIA request, it will be denied?

Funny no one was bothered when Rep. Hastert occupied the same office and had a jet at his disposal.

If I had known we were flying him around the country on government aircraft, I'd be just as pissed.

We have taken our only native criminal class and made them royalty, at our expense. And we wonder why they continue to rob us blind.

Quoting Gunsontheroof (Reply 26):
Perhaps Madam Speaker's place in line for the presidency should anything happen to Dubya or Darth Cheney makes her an exception to that idea, but otherwise, I think it should stand.

I'd love to see a detailed analysis of the probability of the President and the Vice President being killed simultaneously. Unless the probability warrants VP like security extended to the SOH, it is a WASTE of taxpayer money.

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 39):
"When they couldn't take me to California, I have to go commercial to see my family and my constituents."

Well I'll be. The indignity of having to fly commercial. How will she ever recover?

AeroWesty

Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:04 am

Quoting Dtwclipper (Reply 42):

"Pelosi's office told CBS News she'll follow all the appropriate guidelines. The problem is there aren't any yet. Because of the flap, the Defense Department are said to be quickly writing the rules for the speaker's plane — with regulations on everything from size to who can go along for the ride."

Sounds sensible to me, however, as has been stated a number of times on this site, when the government gets involved, there is inevitably waste. Let's see what the DoD comes up with. There are still no quotes from anyone on the record, except from Speaker Pelosi herself, regarding the size of the aircraft requested.

AeroWesty

Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:08 am

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 43):
And the rules they have made result in a waste of the taxpayers money. I'd sure like to see the decision memo that sanctioned this farce. Anyone want to bet that if I file a FOIA request, it will be denied?

There are so few sure things left in life, aren't there?

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 44):
the Defense Department are said to be quickly writing the rules for the speaker's plane

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 43):
We have taken our only native criminal class and made them royalty, at our expense. And we wonder why they continue to rob us blind.

When I asked about government waste in another thread, I was basically told, "live with it".

OU812

Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:16 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 37):
So I can presume that the only question left remaining unanswered is "if they serve tuna salad sandwiches inflight, will they be Star-Kist?"  stirthepot 

Nothing yet smells fishy with Nancy Pelosi. However, the republicans bitching must be careful not to look like a bunch of whining babies!

Are you trying to bait me here Dtwclipper [Q] ?

Hhhmmm  scratchchin 

Quoting Dtwclipper (Reply 42):

CBS) Ever since 9/11, a small military jet has been made available to transport the Speaker of the House for security reasons, CBS News correspondent Sharyl Attkisson reports. The Speaker is second in the line of succession to the presidency.

Before the 2006 elections, the speaker was Republican Dennis Hastert of Illinois. Now it's California Democrat Nancy Pelosi, and she may be getting some more leg room. Pelosi reportedly is asking for a much bigger jet --- a government version of the Boeing 757 that can make the trip between Washington and her San Francisco home without stopping to refuel.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/...shtml

ORFflyer

Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:26 am

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 30):
Perhaps Bush should order some lovely A319CJs?

Or possibly an A340. Let's face it, no matter who is President when that delivery takes place, they will not be climbing fast....  duck 

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 37):
will they be Star-Kist?"

That's what I feed my cat twice a day.  biggrin 

halls120

Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:31 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 45):
Quoting Halls120 (Reply 43):We have taken our only native criminal class and made them royalty, at our expense. And we wonder why they continue to rob us blind.
When I asked about government waste in another thread, I was basically told, "live with it".

And whoever said that was wrong. While a certain amount of government waste is probably inevitable, that doesn't mean we should live with it.

We've turned Congress into royalty. They don't have to fight for parking at DCA or IAD - they have spaces set aside. They can drive impaired, and the Capitol Police will give them a ride home. They have the most plush health care and pension plan imaginable. And the rest of us fight for parking, get arrested and thrown in jail, and either have shitty (or no) health care or have to pay through the nose for it.

What possible justification is there for all these perks?

EWRCabincrew

Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:34 am

Hell, a crapload of politicians use taxpayer money for their travel. What's the diff? Because she is Speaker of the House?

What of all the parking spaces so close to the airport at DCA for senators? What of the increased salaries of politicians before increasing minimum wage? The list is long and topics many.
You can't cure stupid