Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

tbar220
Topic Author

Mummy Found In New York!

Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:09 am

No, its not something out of a tabloid. Or even a real mummy. BUT, its somehow a funny and weird story at the same time.

Mummified man found in front of TV, still on
By Sandra Peddie and Susana Enriquez, Newsday
February 18, 2007

SOUTHAMPTON, N.Y. — Southampton police responding to burst water pipes in a Hampton Bays home found the mummified body of the owner — dead for more than a year — sitting in a chair in front of a television.

The television was still on.

Vincenzo Riccardi, 70, appeared to have died of natural causes in his home, said Dr. Stuart Dawson, Suffolk County deputy chief medical examiner.

The medical examiner's office considered Riccardi's body mummified because the lack of humidity in his home preserved his features, morgue assistant Jeff Bacchus said.

"You could see his face. He still had hair on his head," Bacchus said. "I've never seen anyone dead that long."

Police and county sources said Riccardi, whose body was found Thursday, had not been heard from since December 2005. The medical examiners said they were baffled as to why the electricity would be on in the home all that time.

"He was in his house, sitting in his chair, as if watching television, and the television was, in fact, still on," Dawson said.

Riccardi lived alone; his wife had died years ago, Dawson said. Mail had piled up, but then delivery stopped.

Neighbors said Riccardi had diabetes and had become blind in his 50s. His house was up a long driveway and could not be seen from the street.

http://www.latimes.com/news/printedi...77929.story?coll=la-news-a_section

Wild...
NO URLS in signature

legoguy

RE: Mummy Found In New York!

Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:16 am

It's shocking how long people took to realise the poor guy was dead. It's unfortunate people die like this all the time, and nobody notices until a long time afterwards. I do not want to die lonely...
Can you say 'Beer Can' without sounding like a Jamaican saying 'Bacon'?

FlyingTexan

Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:16 am

Quoting Tbar220 (Thread starter):
The medical examiners said they were baffled as to why the electricity would be on

The guy probably had a pension with direct deposit - and then - automatic debits for electric, gas, water and other bills. Terribly sad that he had nobody to care and died like this. Going to be interesting to see if any estranged heirs pop out of the woodwork - you know, money tends to do that.
"Wouldn't your boss like to fly home nonstop at 4:30 on a Friday afternoon?" -Airline Exec to Congressional Staffer

civ4b2fan

Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:42 am

I don't think that this is funny at all and i think you are a sick person to even think its funny. I have a pretty good sense of humor and I find this very appauling.

AsstChiefMark

Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:47 am

You'd think the postal carrier would have noticed something was wrong. If my mail piles up, my carrier knocks on my door to make sure I'm OK. Maybe they don't give a shit on Long Island.

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

jamesbuk

Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:00 am

Quoting Civ4b2fan (Reply 3):

I dont think he means Haha funny, but more Why the hell has this happened funny, get ma drift?

To be honest i think this is shocking, this guy obviously had no one in this world, he was all alone. 1 year that no one bothered to contact him.

R.I.P.

Rgds --James--
You cant have your cake and eat it... What the hells the point in having it then!!!