UAXDXer
Topic Author

Al Gore's Hypocrisy

Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:54 pm

From the Tennessee Policy:

http://www.tennesseepolicy.org/main/article.php?article_id=367

Al Gore’s Personal Energy Use Is His Own “Inconvenient Truth”
Gore’s home uses more than 20 times the national average

Last night, Al Gore’s global-warming documentary, An Inconvenient Truth, collected an Oscar for best documentary feature, but the Tennessee Center for Policy Research has found that Gore deserves a gold statue for hypocrisy.

Gore’s mansion, located in the posh Belle Meade area of Nashville, consumes more electricity every month than the average American household uses in an entire year, according to the Nashville Electric Service (NES).

In his documentary, the former Vice President calls on Americans to conserve energy by reducing electricity consumption at home.

The average household in America consumes 10,656 kilowatt-hours (kWh) per year, according to the Department of Energy. In 2006, Gore devoured nearly 221,000 kWh—more than 20 times the national average.

Last August alone, Gore burned through 22,619 kWh—guzzling more than twice the electricity in one month than an average American family uses in an entire year. As a result of his energy consumption, Gore’s average monthly electric bill topped $1,359.

Since the release of An Inconvenient Truth, Gore’s energy consumption has increased from an average of 16,200 kWh per month in 2005, to 18,400 kWh per month in 2006.

Gore’s extravagant energy use does not stop at his electric bill. Natural gas bills for Gore’s mansion and guest house averaged $1,080 per month last year.

“As the spokesman of choice for the global warming movement, Al Gore has to be willing to walk the walk, not just talk the talk, when it comes to home energy use,” said Tennessee Center for Policy Research President Drew Johnson.

In total, Gore paid nearly $30,000 in combined electricity and natural gas bills for his Nashville estate in 2006.

Holy Crap... Al Gore's Electric Bill is more than my mortgage!
It takes a bug to hit a windsheild but it takes guts to stick

jimyvr

RE: Al Gore's Hypocrisy

Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:56 pm

Well, whether it's true or not, the conservatives is finding a way to bash it and the environmentalists are eating sour grapes over this.
1000 - 01MAR07 | http://airlineroute.blogspot.com/

Queso

Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:58 pm

Does this actually surprise anyone? Not me.

NWA742

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:02 pm

Hardly surprising, to say the least.

Just typical of these idiots who call themselves "activists" - their causes must only apply to people of lower socioeconomic status.

Good going Mr. Gore - bitch about SUVs while puttering around the country in a business jet.

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

RichPhitzwell

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:02 pm

Im curious if he is doing something, if true, to justify an increased use of electricity. Producing videos, conferences in his home, etc..
Nonav.com kinda like Whiners except the lights are on and the pimps been paid

ShyFlyer

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:16 pm

Quoting UAXDXer (Thread starter):
Since the release of An Inconvenient Truth, Gore's energy consumption has increased from an average of 16,200 kWh per month in 2005, to 18,400 kWh per month in 2006.

Perhaps he wants everyone to reduce their energy consumption so that he can have more?
I lift things up and put them down.

LAXspotter

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:49 pm

Quoting NWA742 (Reply 3):
Good going Mr. Gore - bitch about SUVs while puttering around the country in a business jet.

well said, although you have to commend Gore's campaign for atleast informing the public of this problem. From the times of Bush Sr. to the current Bush change has occurred in terms of position on Global Warming. Bush Sr. was an ardent denier of Global Warming and the destruction of the ozone layer, and now look at his son : at least he admits the Global warming and pushes foward some initiatives, nevertheless i dont think this president is going to be the one to ask congress to ratify the kyoto protocol.

Hypocrites nonetheless, these advocates
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel" Samuel Johnson

scottieprecord

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:56 pm

Haha. This is a nice little conveniant truth to bring up the next time someone tries to shove that "documentary" in my face.

Global Warming... Nature's Menopause  Smile

WellHung

Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:06 pm

Well, duh, he's got to run all them Internet servers...  sarcastic   sarcastic   sarcastic 

The article focuses solely on his monthly bill, but does not state if he uses the 'Green Power' program, which would seem likely:

http://www.nespower.com/green_power_switch.aspx

Making the Green Power Switch® is easy. This renewable energy initiative offers our customers a choice in the type of power they buy.

What is green power? Green power is electricity generated from clean, renewable resources such as solar, wind and methane gas.

How much does it cost? You can buy green power in 150-kilowatt-hour blocks (about 12 percent of a typical household's monthly energy use). Each block will add $4 to your monthly power bill. Green power cost more because the technology used to capture these renewable resources is more expensive than traditional power generation methods.

The environmental impact of traditional energy sources like coal, natural gas, oil and nuclear power can be significant. Although no source of energy is impact-free, renewable resources create less waste and pollution. In fact, a green power investment of $8 per month on your electric bill is equivalent to not driving your car for four months.

This, combined with the apparent size of his house (dubbed 'posh mansion'), could explain why the bill is higher. If they can somehow calculate the environmental impact of the energy his house uses and compare it to the environmental impact of the average home that runs on coal or oil, that would certainly be a fairer comparision than just puking up some dollar amounts. You'd think that if I could find this info, some local hack (who is most likely an NES customer) could, as well.

Quoting NWA742 (Reply 3):

It's not your strong suit, but to be fair, he does buy some kind of 'carbon sink' or whatever when he flies to counteract the pollution. I don't know exactly what it is or how effective it is, but I'm pretty certain it's more than whatever you do.

JAL777

Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:10 pm

Quoting WellHung (Reply 8):
It's not your strong suit, but to be fair, he does buy some kind of 'carbon sink' or whatever when he flies to counteract the pollution. I don't know exactly what it is or how effective it is, but I'm pretty certain it's more than whatever you do.

Carbon credits only serve to offset CO2 emissions by contributing to someone, somewhere to pump green energy into the national grid in an amount sufficient to "average out" that which you use. Not using any at all (i.e. keep the plane at all) is much more effective - there's nothing to offset because you didn't pollute in the first place.

Their kinda like giving the catholic church money back in the day so you could indulge in sins.  Smile

[Edited 2007-02-27 07:13:54]

L-188

Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:14 pm

Maybe it is the air-conditioning bill from all of his hot air
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

N1120A

Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:18 pm

Looks like the OP failed to mention just what this organization is. A conservative "think tank"
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

JAL777

Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:27 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 11):
Looks like the OP failed to mention just what this organization is. A conservative "think tank"

Shooting the messenger? Al Gore's people pretty much confirmed it.

WellHung

Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:30 pm

The article focuses solely on his monthly bill, but does not state if he uses the 'Green Power' program, which would seem likely:

OK, further reasearch confirms he is part of the program.

Electric bills obtained by The Tennessean, however, showed that Gore is paying a premium on his bills to be part of the “green power” program. Gore purchased 108 blocks of “green power” for at least each of the last three months, according to a summary of bills from Nashville Electric Service.

That’s a total of $432 a month spent to pay extra for solar or other renewable energy sources. NES power – outside this program - is derived largely from coal, which emits carbon, a green house gas.

The green power purchased by Gore in those three months is equivalent to recycling 2.48 million aluminum cans, or recycling 286,092 pounds of newspaper, according to comparison figures on the utility's Web site.

Gore’s movie details how greenhouse gases are trapping heat next to the earth, causing a changing climate with melting ice caps and more violent storms.

“Every family has a different carbon footprint,” said Kalee Krider, a spokeswoman for Gore.

The Gore’s 10,000 square foot house on Lynnwood Boulevard doesn’t have a small one.

The Green Power Switch program, however, isn’t all he and his wife, Tipper, are doing, Krider said.

They use compact fluourescent lights and are in the midst of a renovation project that includes having solar panels installed on their home to reduce fossil fuel consumption more, she said.

Their car? A Lexus hybrid SUV.

They put money into an investment company that Gore co-founded with a man named David Blood and it, in turn, sends the money to pay for solar, wind and other projects that reduce energy consumption around the globe.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....icle?AID=/20070226/NEWS01/70226055

NWA742

Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:42 pm

he does buy some kind of 'carbon sink' or whatever when he flies to counteract the pollution. I don't know exactly what it is or how effective it is, but I'm pretty certain it's more than whatever you do.

Horrible defense.

I don't purchase this carbon sink fuel because unfortunately, I don't own a business jet. I'll be the first to tell you that I'm no Green Party member, but I do make efforts to conserve and eliminate unnecessary waste, probably efforts that go beyond the average American.

Yet regardless of whatever little programs ol Albert participates in, he consumes and pollutes excessively more than I do.

That's beyond my point though - he's still a pure hypocrite.

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

jpetekyxmd80

Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:43 pm

HAHAHA. That is lovely. You guys be careful inserting your foot in your mouth now.
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

jpetekyxmd80

Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:45 pm

Quoting NWA742 (Reply 14):
Horrible defense.

Quoting NWA742 (Reply 14):

That's beyond my point though - he's still a pure hypocrite.

How bout that last link, another horrible defense? You crack me up.

NWA742

Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:49 pm

Quoting JpetekYXMD80 (Reply 15):
HAHAHA. That is lovely. You guys be careful inserting your foot in your mouth now.

Quoting JpetekYXMD80 (Reply 16):
How bout that last link, another horrible defense? You crack me up.

Even if everything mentioned in the link is true - he still consumes and pollutes a hell of a lot more than the average American citizen.

Like I said before, his cause only seems to apply to people of lower socioeconomic status - he's still a hypocrite.

-NWA742

WellHung

Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:54 pm

Quoting JpetekYXMD80 (Reply 16):

That's what happens when facts get in the way of delusions.  Sad

jpetekyxmd80

Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:57 pm

Quoting NWA742 (Reply 17):
Even if everything mentioned in the link is true - he still consumes and pollutes a hell of a lot more than the average American citizen.

Like I said before, his cause only seems to apply to people of lower socioeconomic status - he's still a hypocrite.

All this criticism is undue and you know it. He's put his money where his mouth is and taken large steps toward transforming his home and vehicles to means of much more responsible energy use. And i'm pretty damn sure he's had that house long before he became so involved in this issue....and hes adapted his energy use. This whole thread has been uninformed, unreasonable, and just downright pathetic.

NWA742

Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:01 pm

Quoting WellHung (Reply 18):
That's what happens when facts get in the way of delusions.

Fact: He calls for American citizens to consume less, reduce pollution, buy Hybrids, protect the environment, and stop Global Warming
Fact: He himself participates in ways to reduce pollution
Fact: Despite the above, he still consumes and pollutes extremely more than the average American

Therefore - hypocrite.

Bullshit liberal defense of him - that's what happens with a refusal to look at the entire picture.

Quoting JpetekYXMD80 (Reply 19):
All this criticism is undue

Your opinion.

He's put his money where his mouth is and taken large steps toward transforming his home and vehicles to means of much more responsible energy use

He PARTIALLY puts his money where his mouth is, and guess what, that doesn't count.

This whole thread has been uninformed, unreasonable, and just downright pathetic.

Wash the sand out and relax - not everybody's going to support and buy into everything he says.

-NWA742

jpetekyxmd80

Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:08 pm

Quoting NWA742 (Reply 20):
Fact: He himself participates in ways to reduce pollution
Fact: Despite the above, he still consumes and pollutes extremely more than the average American

Some people are going to have bigger houses, more cars, travel more. What do you think Al Gore is advocating Marxist style energy policy? It's all about people individually doing there part to conserve where they can. Its not about relative conservation, but absolute conservation. Your requests are completely unreasonable. It's not like Al Gore is chastising people for having large homes. THAT would be hypocritical. Encouraging everyone to do their part to save energy...with himself doing the same. Hypocritical. Oh yeah.

EA CO AS

Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:09 pm

All this criticism is undue and you know it. He's put his money where his mouth is and taken large steps toward transforming his home and vehicles to means of much more responsible energy use. And i'm pretty damn sure he's had that house long before he became so involved in this issue....and hes adapted his energy use. This whole thread has been uninformed, unreasonable, and just downright pathetic.

Undue, is it? Look, BOTH sides make valid points. Yes, Mr. Gore goes further out of his way to avail himself of eco-friendlier energy than the average American consumer.

HOWEVER, it also cannot be disputed that despite his efforts, he is still a conspicuous consumer of energy - far more so than several non-environmentally conscious American families combined.

So yes, he's an energy glutton - and something of a hypocrite. BUT, if all consumers went to the lengths he does to use energy that has less of an environmental impact, we'd probably all be better off. Sadly, most don't.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

NWA742

Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:17 pm

Quoting JpetekYXMD80 (Reply 21):
It's all about people individually doing there part to conserve where they can.

Is Gore conserving what he can?

Your requests are completely unreasonable.

Which ones? He's the first to make requests of the average American - why can't he put himself in the average American's shoes?

It's not like Al Gore is chastising people for having large homes. THAT would be hypocritical.

Right, instead he chastises average Americans for not doing their part to reduce pollution and stop the political theory known as Global Warming. With all his ranting, does he do his part? I don't think so.

Encouraging everyone to do their part to save energy...with himself doing the same. Hypocritical. Oh yeah.

Telling everyone to consume and pollute less, while he himself unnecessarily consumes and pollutes much more, that is hypocritical. Oh yes, green power and carbon sink for his business jet. A hybrid Lexus. Yes, that's quite an effort on his part.

-NWA742

WellHung

Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:20 pm

Quoting NWA742 (Reply 20):
and guess what, that doesn't count.

That pretty much sums up your entire position. Dude could be living in a cave and you'd still cry about the fire he uses to cook his food.

Molykote

Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:23 pm

This, combined with the apparent size of his house (dubbed 'posh mansion'), could explain why the bill is higher. If they can somehow calculate the environmental impact of the energy his house uses and compare it to the environmental impact of the average home that runs on coal or oil, that would certainly be a fairer comparision than just puking up some dollar amounts. You'd think that if I could find this info, some local hack (who is most likely an NES customer) could, as well.

Regardless of the calculated "environmental impact" this goes strongly against the "conservation" message he advocates. Whether Gore buys credits in an artifical/fabricated "carbon market" or not, he is consuming much more energy than the vast majority of other private individuals. As this amount of energy is removed from the "market", other users are forced to buy more energy due to his higher consumption rate. Due to the low supply of green energy in this country (and the world), Gore is contributing greatly to dirty energy usage (regardless of where he buys his energy or what green source he subsidizes).

If a cafeteria has 3 salads and 50 steaks available during a given lunch period, it's highly unlikely that any cows are going to be saved by my choice of a salad. I may feel good about my personal choice and setting a good example but I'm fooling myself if I believe that I'm having a meaningful impact on the number of cows slaughtered given the market situation in this cafeteria.

Unless everyone accepts the premise that we should punish/tax/inhibit ourselves for using dirty energy sources, Gore's purchase of carbon credits is basically a facade (at least as far as any real environmental impact goes). One could argue that he is showing leadership by example - such would be admirable. However, the argument that he's actually negating the environmental impact of his lifestyle by giving a few extra dollars to a wind farm doesn't hold water with me (at least as long as the rest of society isn't tied to carbon sink restrictions).

Gore is showing his own willingness to buy carbon credits for his personal use of dirty energy - he cannot be called a hypocrite in this regard. However, I would suspect that the relatively small amount Gore pays for his dirty energy absolution credits is more than returned to him by being able to uphold his reputation as a true environmentalist.
Speedtape - The aspirin of aviation!

NWA742

Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:24 pm

Quoting WellHung (Reply 24):
Dude could be living in a cave and you'd still cry about the fire he uses to cook his food.

Nope - I'd just be waiting for something to eat him.

-NWA742

jpetekyxmd80

Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:28 pm

Quoting NWA742 (Reply 23):
A hybrid Lexus. Yes, that's quite an effort on his part.

Oh, ok. I suppose you want him to ride a bike or something. Have you SEEN him lately!? So you don't want him to have a car?

Quoting WellHung (Reply 24):
That pretty much sums up your entire position.

My summation would be: nonsensical BS. Not that its unexpected.

the political theory

Ah, yes, the political theory...

Is Gore conserving what he can?

You could say the same thing to pretty much anyone not named Thoreau. Puh-leaze.

Which ones? He's the first to make requests of the average American - why can't he put himself in the average American's shoes?

He's NOT the average American. He's done much better for himself than the average American. Can't he enjoy that but also be responsible about it? Not that hard.

jpetekyxmd80

Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:31 pm

Quoting Molykote (Reply 25):
Gore's purchase of carbon credits is basically a facade (at least as far as any real environmental impact goes)

No one individual lifestyle changes can make any real environmental impact....

Molykote

Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:42 pm

Quoting JpetekYXMD80 (Reply 28):
Gore's purchase of carbon credits is basically a facade (at least as far as any real environmental impact goes)

God forbid you quote me in context.

Unless everyone accepts the premise that we should punish/tax/inhibit ourselves for using dirty energy sources, Gore's purchase of carbon credits is basically a facade (at least as far as any real environmental impact goes).
Speedtape - The aspirin of aviation!

NWA742

Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:44 pm

Quoting JpetekYXMD80 (Reply 27):
Oh, ok. I suppose you want him to ride a bike or something. Have you SEEN him lately!? So you don't want him to have a car?

I have seen him lately - he needs that bike.

My summation would be: nonsensical BS. Not that its unexpected.

That may be your opinion, I'll just be happy of the fact that I'm not the sucking up to Al Gore. I mean, goodness.

Ah, yes, the political theory...

Yes - nothing more, nothing less.

You could say the same thing to pretty much anyone not named Thoreau.

Correct - hence my point that he's in no position to be telling me to consume less and protect the environment more than I already do, and that he's a hypocrite.

He's done much better for himself than the average American. Can't he enjoy that but also be responsible about it?

Sure he can enjoy it. However, he's become an attention whore bent on advocating positions of which he himself only partially follows - most likely as a result of trying to protect his image. He is, after all, a politican. If you trust everything he does or says, you fall for it.

Al Gore agrees with you.

-NWA742

jpetekyxmd80

Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:54 pm

Quoting NWA742 (Reply 30):

You could say the same thing to pretty much anyone not named Thoreau.

Correct - hence my point that he's in no position to be telling me to consume less and protect the environment more than I already do, and that he's a hypocrite.

By that logic....who is? And if you say a Thoreau like figure...just how quickly would they be dismissed as unpractical whack jobs?

Yes - nothing more, nothing less.

First of all, opinion. Secondly, global warming is indisputable- its the causes that are up for debate. Global warming in the contemporary context is a scientific theory with tons of research and thought behind it. Just because a scientific 'theory' has been highly politicized doesntt mean its a 'political theory'.

I'll just be happy of the fact that I'm not the sucking up to Al Gore. I mean, goodness.

Sucking up to? Yeah right. It's called the ability to think about things objectively. I'm not sure not supporting Gore in the 2000 election amounts to a Gore worshiper.  Yeah sure

jpetekyxmd80

Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:00 pm

I wonder if you feel similarly about socially conservative activism. Me thinks not...

jaysit

Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:48 pm

Why does Al Gore need to heat and air-condition all the rooms of his mansion at the same time?

I own a home in West Virginia in the Lost River area on a mountain ridge which while not a mansion by any means, is comfortably spacious, yet designed to minimize energy utilization. Only those sections of the house that are being used are effectively heated for human comfort levels, while other sections receive much lower heat. Last year my energy bill was only $ 400. Homes of a similar size in the area with similar utilization had energy bills of over $ 2000.

In any case, I don't see why this is such a big ruckus. Al Gore is an important politician/activist who must entertain scores of bigwigs at his estate and obviously has higher energy needs than I do. The issue isn't whether he uses more than you and I do, its whether he uses less or more than someone similarly situated. He sure as hell isn't telling people to turn into hermits. The message is to minimize your energy footprint. I understand that the President's mansion at his Crawford Ranch is also an energy efficient, environmentally friendly home. I'm sure that he uses more energy than all of us do, but to his credit, he uses it efficiently. I don't begrudge Al Gore's use of a private jet to get to where he needs to get quickly, no more than I begrudge the President's use of Air Force One. Judging by the stupid response of the usual crowd on A.net here, they probably expect that Al Gore should be travelling on foot, while the President should get rid of AF1 and travel by SouthWest.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

767Lover

Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:26 pm

He's NOT the average American.

You're right. He is the former VPOTUS, someone who had considerable power over the country's affairs for 8 years. Perhaps it would be helpful if someone here can remind us of what Gore did during those 8 years to champion green energy and energy efficiency. I don't recall anything.

quote=LAXspotter,reply=6]nevertheless i dont think this president is going to be the one to ask congress to ratify the kyoto protocol. [/quote]

It should not be ratified becasue it is flawed policy. If someone comes up with an effective policy, I'm all for it.

baroque

Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:35 pm

All this criticism is undue and you know it.

Wow, if it was not for the odd post like this and from WH, I would begin to think that Americans were mean spirited towards those who had been in authority. So it is nice the see that Christian charity is abroad, even if a bit localized.  boggled 

RJdxer

Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:23 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 11):

What does that have to do with the original story? Did they somehow doctor what he paid for his utilities?

Quoting WellHung (Reply 13):
The Gore's 10,000 square foot house on Lynnwood Boulevard doesn't have a small one.

I used to live in Nashville 37205, none of those house are small. As a matter of fact, I don't begrudge him his choice of housing but it seems to me that if you wanted to be more conservative with your energy usage, something a bit smaller would be in order.

Quoting WellHung (Reply 13):
They use compact fluourescent lights and are in the midst of a renovation project that includes having solar panels installed on their home to reduce fossil fuel consumption more, she said.

In the houses on those lots, that's like peeing in the pool, you're never going to notice it.

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 33):
Al Gore is an important politician/activist who must entertain scores of bigwigs at his estate and obviously has higher energy needs than I do.

Why can't he entertain them at a hotel, a banquet hall, or some other place besides his house. A place where anyone could rent a room and entertain. Then he himself could have a smaller place. Wouldn't that be a little more energy efficient?

It seems to me, green energy buyer or not, he's still using a lot more of it than the average Joe. If your message is to conserve and you're just eating it up in your daily usage, the message is kind of lost on the masses. Sort of a do as I say not as I do.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever. I'm going to Texas!

Pyrex

Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:24 am

Quoting RichPhitzwell (Reply 4):
Im curious if he is doing something, if true, to justify an increased use of electricity. Producing videos, conferences in his home, etc..

Growing marijuana?  duck 
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

MaidensGator

Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:07 am

Some people are going to have bigger houses, more cars, travel more. What do you think Al Gore is advocating Marxist style energy policy? It's all about people individually doing there part to conserve where they can. Its not about relative conservation, but absolute conservation. Your requests are completely unreasonable. It's not like Al Gore is chastising people for having large homes. THAT would be hypocritical. Encouraging everyone to do their part to save energy...with himself doing the same. Hypocritical. Oh yeah.

It IS hypocritical for him to get on this 'conserve energy, save the planet" bandwagon, and then it turns out he's wasting the hell out of it. So what if his house is big. The kw hours used are astronomical for a house that size. His house is two and a half times the size of mine, and he uses 12 times the average kw hours. Plus, his monthly average for gas is what I use in a year. On a square foot basis he uses almost five times the energy I do. We live comfortably and run what we need when we need it. We just try not to waste the energy. I don't know how you can say he's adapted his energy use when the article clearly states it's INCREASED by 2,000 kwh's per month in the last two years.
The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers.

jaysit

Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:41 am

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 36):
I used to live in Nashville 37205, none of those house are small. As a matter of fact, I don't begrudge him his choice of housing but it seems to me that if you wanted to be more conservative with your energy usage, something a bit smaller would be in order.

He first needs to go on a diet. His consumption of food looks like its 100 x the average African's.

N1120A

Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:50 am

Quoting JAL777 (Reply 12):
Al Gore's people pretty much confirmed it.

Confirmed what? That he bought clean energy credits to cover his energy usage?

artifical/fabricated "carbon market"

Every market is artifical, that doesn't mean market-based solutions don't work
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

WellHung

Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:06 am

Quoting NWA742 (Reply 26):
Nope - I'd just be waiting for something to eat him.

Of course. And then celebrate because he 'deserved' to die.

NWA742

Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:03 am

Quoting JpetekYXMD80 (Reply 31):
By that logic....who is?

Someone that actually applies themselves to the standards they advocate.

Secondly, global warming is indisputable- its the causes that are up for debate.

Correct - but usually when "Global Warming" is mentioned, especially whilist in the subject of Al Gore - it's referring to the notion that humans are directly responsible. I'm not saying they are, I'm not saying they aren't. Because of the lack of proof in this situation, I've been staying neutral on the issue. I think that people like Gore who blindly buy in to either side are idiots.

Just because a scientific 'theory' has been highly politicized doesntt mean its a 'political theory'.

Yes, it does. There are more politics behind it than science. There are more politics behind it than fact.

Sucking up to?

Yes.

It's called the ability to think about things objectively.

Or rather, the lack of ability to look at a bigger picture.

Quoting WellHung (Reply 41):
Of course. And then celebrate because he 'deserved' to die.

Now now, Wellhung, having a sense of humor is not necessarily a bad thing.

-NWA742

jaysit

Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:05 am

Quoting NWA742 (Reply 42):
Because of the lack of proof in this situation, I've been staying neutral on the issue. I think that people like Gore who blindly buy in to either side are idiots.

Lack of proof? Geez, what will it take to convince you that the world ain't flat, Blanche?

NWA742

Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:11 am

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 43):
Lack of proof? Geez, what will it take to convince you that the world ain't flat, Blanche?

Well, you could start off by feeding me more than a highly politicized theory.

-NWA742

jaysit

Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:16 am

Quoting NWA742 (Reply 44):
Quoting Jaysit (Reply 43):

Well, you could start off by feeding me more than a highly politicized theory.

Confucious say: you can take an ass to water, but you can't make it drink.

NWA742

Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:21 am

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 45):
Confucious say: you can take an ass to water, but you can't make it drink.

I see - because I'm not buying into either side here, I can't think for myself - that must be how it works.

Let me ask you something, Jaysit. If we were back in the 70s, during the cooling trend, would you be buying into the global cooling theory? It wasn't that long ago.

-NWA742

j_hallgren

Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:23 am

The amount of KWH he uses is so high that I can't see how he uses that much! During the summer, I run a family business of 6 cottages, with 7 units total (one bldg is duplex)...my highest KWH in any month over last 5 years was 982, with average being between 500 and 800 when they are in use...this amount serves an average of 25 people at any one time, and a total of 7 refrigerators...ok, so we don't have A/C, but still...my total KWH since June 2002 is only about 21,200! That's less than one month of his max...so don't tell me he needs ALL that power! No way!
COBOL - Not a dead language yet!

jaysit

Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:30 am

Quoting NWA742 (Reply 46):
Let me ask you something, Jaysit. If we were back in the 70s, during the cooling trend, would you be buying into the global cooling theory? It wasn't that long ago.

Well, I was a child in the 70s.

But since then I got myself engineering and science degrees from MIT. If nothing else, it helps me separate junk science from the real stuff.

So, yes, I believe in global warming. What I find unfathomable is the corny belief that we can prevent it from happening.

NWA742

Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:35 am

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 48):
Well, I was a child in the 70s.

I wasn't born. I mean if we - as we speak here - happened to be back in the 70s. Would you be the one buying into the theory, would I be the one taking a neutral stance? Your attitude here says so.

But since then I got myself engineering and science degrees from MIT. If nothing else, it helps me separate junk science from the real stuff.

So, yes, I believe in global warming.

The earth is warming - there's no question or belief about it.

What I find unfathomable is the corny belief that we can prevent it from happening.

I agree.

-NWA742