Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

RJdxer

RE: Al Gore's Hypocrisy

Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:53 am

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 39):
He first needs to go on a diet. His consumption of food looks like its 100 x the average African's.

rotfl   rotfl   rotfl 
Perhaps the South Ethiopian diet?
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever. I'm going to Texas!

Beaucaire

Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:26 am

Hasn't Al Gore become a little fat these days ????
His energy consumption seems not only tied to his house but more specifically to his eating-habits.
He should try vegetarian food for a while ...
Please respect animals - don't eat them...

jpetekyxmd80

Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:30 am

Quoting NWA742 (Reply 42):

Quoting JpetekYXMD80 (Reply 31):
It's called the ability to think about things objectively.

Or rather, the lack of ability to look at a bigger picture.

Oh yeah. Thats what i call the ability to look at the big picture- getting your pantie in a twist that Al Gore still uses more energy than the average American, while basically ignoring all his large scale efforts. Good one!
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

WellHung

Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:05 am

Quoting NWA742 (Reply 42):
Now now, Wellhung, having a sense of humor is not necessarily a bad thing.

I suppose you would be equally amused if Cheney was killed in that blast yesterday, huh.

Quoting NWA742 (Reply 46):
If we were back in the 70s, during the cooling trend, would you be buying into the global cooling theory?

This is news to me. Care to provide any data to back up this 'trend' other than a theory from 35 years ago? Is Scotty's time machine as for you? I'll even provide the graph, you just explain the 'cooling trend' in the 70's. All I see is that temperatures at the end of the 70's were about 0.13 degrees C warmer than the beginning of the decade. Of course there are variations from the trend as in any statistical data, but the 5 year mean, which would indicate a short term 'trend', is fairly flat until around 1977 when it shoots up. Perhaps you just mean it was 'trendy' to believe in cooling??

jaysit

Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:11 am

Quoting NWA742 (Reply 49):
I wasn't born. I mean if we - as we speak here - happened to be back in the 70s. Would you be the one buying into the theory, would I be the one taking a neutral stance? Your attitude here says so.

I haven't looked into the so-called global cooling theories of the 1970s, so I'm in no position to comment. It appears that there isn't point in examining it now that it appears to have been debunked.

Plus, there is that all too pressing scientific issue of the biological state of Anna Nicole's body and how it will affect global climate.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

Boeing7E7

Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:50 am

Quoting JpetekYXMD80 (Reply 19):
All this criticism is undue and you know it. He's put his money where his mouth is and taken large steps toward transforming his home and vehicles to means of much more responsible energy use. And i'm pretty damn sure he's had that house long before he became so involved in this issue....and hes adapted his energy use. This whole thread has been uninformed, unreasonable, and just downright pathetic.

So when he downscales the size of his home and stops flying around on a 757 he can talk. Until then, he should shut his pie hole, which has been full for quite some time obviously. Even with credits, he still burns more energy in a month than I do all year and its a whopping 30 degree's outside today. Sure, I drive an big ass Tahoe SUV (an Ethanol 85 V8 that cuts back to 4 cylinders when 8 aren't needed) for just the kind of weather we have here in Wisconsin (offsetting idiot drivers alogn with the weather), but my energy consumption there is more than is offset by taking advantage of every energy option available in my home and doing most of my work from home. People aren’t stupid, and most I know do what they can. This asshole isn't doing a damn thing but bitching about everyone, while he is consuming more, then calling it good because he pays more for it. That's complete bullshit. Point being, if you want to point a finger, you better expect to get bitch slapped if you’re sucking juice like a dehydrated toddler. I don't want to hear this asshole talk about the climate ever again. Fuck him.

Quoting JpetekYXMD80 (Reply 21):
Some people are going to have bigger houses, more cars, travel more. What do you think Al Gore is advocating Marxist style energy policy?

He believes in income re-distribution. Modern day Marxist if there ever was one. What better way to enforce it than claim it’s a moral obligation to sacrifice freedom for the benefit of the environment. Damn, that jackass is pretty smart after all.

Quoting JpetekYXMD80 (Reply 31):
Secondly, global warming is indisputable- its the causes that are up for debate.

As indisputable as global cooling was in the 1970's? Maybe you weren’t around for it, but I recall massive debates on the end of oil and how we were causing global cooling. Amusing when you look at today’s arguments. It just gets more play because the agenda driven educational system has churned out a generation of tree hugging talking heads that are able to articulate better than the last generation that spent the 60's stoned out fo their minds. Anyone worth a damn actually exited the educational system at some point. The ones that couldn't kept studying theories then started teaching them as the gospel truth. And you wonder why it's so "indisputable"... How about it's foundation is bullshit? Bullshit in, bullshit out.

[Edited 2007-02-27 22:05:48]

jaysit

Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:07 am

Quoting Boeing7E7 (Reply 55):
Sure, I drive an big ass Tahoe SUV (an Ethanol 85 V8 that cuts back to 4 cylinders when 8 aren't needed) for just the kind of weather we have here in Wisconsin (offsetting idiot drivers),

rotfl 

And you wanna tell Al Bore to shut the F*** up!!

Oh, and I wonder what folks in Wisconsin did before big ass Tahoe SUVs were invented? You "need" a Tahoe SUV as much as you "need" a pair of $400 jeans or an ipod phone. Dude, I lived in a remote part of Vermont for 3 years where we had 6 months of winter and I drove a Honda Civic without incident. Only lousy drivers with a size complex need SUVs.

Boeing7E7

Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:10 am

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 56):
And you wanna tell Al Bore to shut the F*** up!!

Oh, and I wonder what folks in Wisconsin did before big ass Tahoe SUVs were invented? You "need" a Tahoe SUV as much as you "need" a pair of $400 jeans or an ipod phone. Dude, I lived in a remote part of Vermont for 3 years where we had 6 months of winter and I drove a Honda Civic without incident. Only lousy drivers with a size complex need SUVs.

You see me making a movie about global warming then consuming 10-12 times the energy of an average American? And, I don't care about your needs, it’s a free country. We work, we earn money, and we buy things. It creates jobs, and in my case American jobs when it comes to cars. This allows more people to buy newer cars which reduces the impact brought about by the older cars. That and I’m burning ethanol which requires less fossil fuel then you’re old Civic that runs on unleaded! Holy crap! My new SUV helped the environment!

As for what they drove before SUV's? Big honkin' Ameircan cars and big ass trucks that got half the mileage my Tahoe does, they even ran on leaded gas. Next.

[Edited 2007-02-27 22:19:39]

Klaus

Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:20 am

Quoting Boeing7E7 (Reply 57):
You see me making a film about global warming genius?

No, so he's done infinitely more for the environment than you have.

SaturnVRocket

Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:21 am

I think those who despise Gore are using the hypocrisy as a means of nullifying his arguments. **IF** global warming is in fact a real threat caused by humans, then his hypocrisy has no bearing on whether or not it's true. He is simply the messenger. We should be analyzing the scientific studies in the movie, not the lifestyle of the man behind it. It would be like saying when a priest who preaches the word of God out of the bible every Sunday is then caught molesting children that the word of God is b.s. because this guy is a hypocrite.

SVR

MaverickM11

Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:21 am

I suspect Gore is "walking the walk" according to his environmental crusade, even if I disagree with it. I'd be more skeptical about the bobbleheads in the audience at the Oscars jetting off in their GV after their circle jerk with Gore and Melissa Etheridge.
I don't take responsibility at all

Boeing7E7

Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:22 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 58):

Really? Looks to me like he's done more damage than 10 people.

Klaus

Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:34 am

Quoting Boeing7E7 (Reply 61):
Really? Looks to me like he's done more damage than 10 people.

Since he's in the process of convincing millions to change their habits with a much greater effect, his net impact is still dramatically more positive than yours.

By the way: Unless his current house was to be demolished completely or occupied by a commune of many people, modernizing a large house for optimized energy use makes a much larger impact again than doing the same thing with a smaller one.

N1120A

Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:47 am

Quoting Beaucaire (Reply 51):
Hasn't Al Gore become a little fat these days ????
His energy consumption seems not only tied to his house but more specifically to his eating-habits.
He should try vegetarian food for a while ...

Actually, Vice President Gore lost quite a bit of weight back in 2001 on the most gluttonous diet of them all, the Atkins Diet.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

agill

Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:51 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 62):
Since he's in the process of convincing millions to change their habits

Yes, other people.

Klaus

Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:01 am

Quoting Agill (Reply 64):
Yes, other people.

If you want to convince millions, that's sort of a necessity...

The question is what he's actually doing relative to what he could do, and one look at his electric bill is certainly good enough for your average smear campaign, but not actually enough for a real look at the issue.

agill

Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:11 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 65):

If you want to convince millions, that's sort of a necessity...

The question is what he's actually doing relative to what he could do, and one look at his electric bill is certainly good enough for your average smear campaign, but not actually enough for a real look at the issue.

Having an enormous electrical bill while telling other people to cut theirs is nothing short of hypocretical. Airplane rides and things like that can be attributed to his cause, but his home is where he should have started.

aloges

Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:44 am

Oh look, conservatives at a "Hate Gore!" party!

It's ridiculous how one day, a "liberal" gets blasted for using a lot of electricity even though all of it was produced in environmentally friendly ways (yes, I know that it's not as simple as that) - and the next day a certain someone is applauded for "bringing democracy and freedom to the world" even though under his rule, human and civil rights are trashed by US authorities. What's the word for that again... oh right, hypocrisy.

Quoting Agill (Reply 66):
Having an enormous electrical bill while telling other people to cut theirs is nothing short of hypocretical.

You didn't really bther to read the posts showing how he uses "grren power", is converting his house so he'll have to buy less electric energy on the market, drives a hybrid car and so on, did you?

typing mistake edited

[Edited 2007-02-27 23:45:07]
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

agill

Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:54 am

Quoting Aloges (Reply 67):

You didn't really bther to read the posts showing how he uses "grren power", is converting his house so he'll have to buy less electric energy on the market, drives a hybrid car and so on, did you?

Well since the most efficient way of saving energy is to not use it he should be the good example. REplacing all that energy we are spending with green energy is at the moment not a viable option. To reduce CO2 emissions we need to spend less of it, and I think (considering the position he has put himself in) that he should be the good example. But then I guess thats just my opinion.

MaverickM11

Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:56 am

Unless his current house was to be demolished completely or occupied by a commune of many people.

Sounds like the Kyoto protocol  Silly

aace24

Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:25 am

Gore is a better lier than Clinton was....

He's really helping the environment when he's flying in his private jet all over the place.

MaidensGator

Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:32 am

The issue of this thread being his hypocrisy...

Quoting Agill (Reply 66):

Having an enormous electrical bill while telling other people to cut theirs is nothing short of hypocretical.

checkmark 

Quoting Aloges (Reply 67):

Green power or not, the point is Gore has been urging Americans to use less power, while he's been consistently using more.... I really don't have a problem with him using that much power; I'm sure many people use even more. It's just obvious that Gore does not believe in "lead by example;" with him it's "do as I say, not as I do."
The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers.

jaysit

Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:41 am

Holy crap! My new SUV helped the environment!

YAY!!

Mission Accomplished!

Oh, and btw, all those commie pinko liberal environmentalists who've been crusading for the last 30 years for alternative fuel sources thank you for your accidental use of ethanol.

You see me making a movie about global warming then consuming 10-12 times the energy of an average American?

No.

I just see you as not getting the picture. Al Gore may well be a hypocrite for living in a much too large home and buying environmental credits (something that the average Joe really can't afford to do right now), but your boasts about guzzling gas being something to boast about because its less than what he consumes is asinine. I don't think that ANYONE, including Al Gore is going around telling everyone to ride bikes to work, live in unheated huts, and swim the Atlantic to get to Europe. The message is to reduce your consumption of fossil fuels to the extent you can.

The right wing is so ticked off right now that global warming is an accepted fact - even in the Oval Office - that Al Gore's electricity bill is being bandied around to discredit him first, then his crusade for global warming, then the reality of global warming itself. Its classic political opportunism.

Since he's in the process of convincing millions to change their habits with a much greater effect, his net impact is still dramatically more positive than yours.

Amen.

Klaus

Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:47 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 69):
Sounds like the Kyoto protocol

No, but you've probably never actually bothered to check what it's really about.

GuitrThree

Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:07 am

You know, I haven't posted anything on this all day because I haven't been able to stop laughing enough to post..

Then I read this:

Hence, resuming uncontrollable laugh. The man goes on the Oscars Show and says "how easy it is to do your part to help stop the global crisis" and he's polluting more than 20 American Households.

It's him and his wife.

They own 4 houses, again, for 2 people.

Excuse me for a minute, I have to laugh again...

ok,

They own a mansion, again, for 2 people.

He flys around the world in private jets.

He then gets on national TV, and spouts his "Green this and Green that."

And the usual suspects ONCE again, defend this BS.

Seriously.

Ahhh.. I can't take it.. I have to go back to laughing again... maybe, since I live just outside of Nashville, I'll get down there to snap a picture of his mansion and post it here... That way, we can all see the source of Global Warming in and around Nashville up close and personal. Maybe I'll even see him and Tipper outside mowing the lawn with their gas powered mowers... oh wait, that would be the gardeners doing that damage, so it really doesn't count, right???
I mean, if a lawn cutting service is the one cutting his grass, and watering his flowers, it's not the Gore's actually doing that, right?

AHHHHH, I can't TAKE it anymore..

And i'm pretty damn sure he's had that house long before he became so involved in this issue....and hes adapted his energy use.

Ummm. No, I'm pretty damn sure your wrong. Al and Tipper Gore purchased the house AFTER HE LOST THE 2000 ELECTION, remember, when "he was going back to mend fences in Tennessee?" He REFURBISHED the house after buying it, just 6-7 years ago.... His GLOBAL WARMING platform was already started when he was in office as VP.

Wanna read something funny? Who's house am I describing here:

The 4,000-square-foot house is a model of environmental rectitude.
Geothermal heat pumps located in a central closet circulate water through pipes buried 300 feet deep in the ground where the temperature is a constant 67 degrees; the water heats the house in the winter and cools it in the summer. Systems such as the one in this "eco-friendly" dwelling use about 25% of the electricity that traditional heating and cooling systems utilize.

A 25,000-gallon underground cistern collects rainwater gathered from roof runs; wastewater from sinks, toilets and showers goes into underground purifying tanks and is also funneled into the cistern. The water from the cistern is used to irrigate the landscaping surrounding the four-bedroom home. Plants and flowers native to the high prairie area blend the structure into the surrounding ecosystem.

I wish I had a way to get your answer before you go here to read who's it is...

http://www.commondreams.org/views01/0429-03.htm

I want to see some responses on this... oh, and please note the date of the writing of this article, this isn't just a response to the latest fad...

[Edited 2007-02-28 01:14:10]
As Seen On FlightRadar24! Radar ==> F-KBNA5

jpetekyxmd80

Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:41 am

Quoting GuitrThree (Reply 74):
I wish I had a way to get your answer before you go here to read who's it is...

http://www.commondreams.org/views01/...3.htm

Good for him. This hasn't exactly been a big Bush bashing thread. Bush has indeed taken his share of heat from his own party - many prominently above- for his talk and acknowledgment of global warming in the state of the union, etc

And could you at least TRY to not be such a pretentious smart ass? ahahaha...i cant stop laughing!!!....because you're sounding like such an ass.....
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

ConcordeBoy

Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:30 am

Quoting JAL777 (Reply 12):

Quote:
Quoting N1120A (Reply 11):
Looks like the OP failed to mention just what this organization is. A conservative "think tank"

Shooting the messenger?

checkmark 

Quoting 767Lover (Reply 34):
Perhaps it would be helpful if someone here can remind us of what Gore did during those 8 years to champion green energy and energy efficiency

Agreed

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 48):
So, yes, I believe in global warming. What I find unfathomable is the corny belief that we can prevent it from happening.

...THANK YOU!!!!!
Can't believe it took nearly 50posts for that.
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

GuitrThree

Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:07 am

Quoting JpetekYXMD80 (Reply 75):
And could you at least TRY to not be such a pretentious smart ass? ahahaha...i cant stop laughing!!!....because you're sounding like such an ass.....

Quoting JpetekYXMD80 (Reply 15):
HAHAHA. That is lovely. You guys be careful inserting your foot in your mouth now.

And i'm pretty damn sure he's had that house long before he became so involved in this issue....and hes adapted his energy use. This whole thread has been uninformed, unreasonable, and just downright pathetic.

Quoting JpetekYXMD80 (Reply 52):
Thats what i call the ability to look at the big picture- getting your pantie in a twist

Yea... I'm the pretentious smart ass... what made you say that? The fact that I find it funny that the "Worlds Greatest Champion of Global Warming," uses more energy than the vast majority of people, and I, among many others pointed that out? Or was it the fact that you come along here thinking your Mr. Know-it-all and it takes one post from someone who actually knows what the hell he's talking about piss you off? I mean, you come here and say "I'm pretty damn sure," when in fact, you are, "pretty damn wrong." Before that, you warn those Anti-Gore people to be careful about sticking ones foot in their own mouth, and your the one who ends up doing it.

Yea, I'm laughing... and still am. Any other things you want to claim that "you're pretty damn sure about?"

NWA742

Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:07 am

Quoting JpetekYXMD80 (Reply 52):
. Thats what i call the ability to look at the big picture- getting your pantie in a twist that Al Gore still uses more energy than the average American, while basically ignoring all his large scale efforts.

Large scale efforts?

rotfl 

He buys green power and drives a Lexus Hybrid on the way to the airport to his business jet. Very big on his part.

Quoting WellHung (Reply 53):
I suppose you would be equally amused if Cheney was killed in that blast yesterday, huh.

Like I said before, a sense of humor isn't necessarily a bad thing, you should try it sometime, Wellhung.

Quoting WellHung (Reply 53):
This is news to me. Care to provide any data to back up this 'trend' other than a theory from 35 years ago?

Why would I need to back up the trend? I'm not supporting it, I'm not advocating it - they turned out to be wrong. Just using it as an example for a point. According to the Wikipedia article about it, there was a movement back then with many people concerned about the earth cooling itself to another ice age because of us - it turned out to be dead wrong, as there's no question that the earth has warmed over the past decades. Yet, the notion that humans are responsible for it is still a theory with no proof (just like the cooling theory in the 70s), and for all we know humans have had extremely little or no effect on the warming as it may be a natural cycle, or vice versa. This is the reason while I take a neutral stance on the issue, along with the fact that it is a highly political - which means an entire dose of bullshit goes along with each side on the issue.

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 54):
Plus, there is that all too pressing scientific issue of the biological state of Anna Nicole's body and how it will affect global climate.

Yes I'm getting sick of it too.

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

jaysit

Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:15 am

Quoting JpetekYXMD80 (Reply 75):
Good for him. This hasn't exactly been a big Bush bashing thread. Bush has indeed taken his share of heat from his own party - many prominently above- for his talk and acknowledgment of global warming in the state of the union, etc

Well, the public Bush spent 6 years denying global warming and basically trotting out reports from dubious sources to assert that global warming was BS. I think that 2006 was a turning point because he had to accept it, or look like a flat-earther. In private, however, it appears that his home at his Crawford ranch is quite environmentally friendly.

Quoting NWA742 (Reply 78):
Large scale efforts?

He buys green power and drives a Lexus Hybrid on the way to the airport to his business jet. Very big on his part.

You know better than that. He's spent the better part of the past several years spreading the gospel of global warming - doing the research even while in office, making a film that would be easy to understand (although in my honest opinion, a a rather lousy one), and speaking all over the globe about it and trying to lobby for change.

I

NWA742

Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:36 am

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 79):
He's spent the better part of the past several years spreading the gospel of global warming - doing the research even while in office, making a film that would be easy to understand (although in my honest opinion, a a rather lousy one), and speaking all over the globe about it and trying to lobby for change.

Correct - I'm not disputing that. I'm talking about his personal attempts to save, and the steps he's taken so far are nothing to write home about, especially if we're talking about a leader of an environmental movement.

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

mirrodie

Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:45 am

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 33):
Judging by the stupid response of the usual crowd on A.net here, they probably expect that Al Gore should be travelling on foot, while the President should get rid of AF1 and travel by SouthWest.

Well that is the problem, isn't it. A forum full of people that think they know all the facts. There are the same tools that know that OJ was guilty, b/c of course they were there. They also know all about politics, religion and every other subject under the sun, in FULL apparent authority, (or least they think) enough to comment intelligently upon and of course, without any sort of political bias on any issue....Yeah right.

Quoting Klaus (Reply 58):

Klaus, I just love your posts.  Smile

Great thread. I love how you all think you know the facts and can intelligently comment on them. It's truly funny!
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

GuitrThree

Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:25 pm

Quoting Mirrodie (Reply 81):
Well that is the problem, isn't it. A forum full of people that think they know all the facts

I don't know what "facts" you are looking at... but the the facts that I've seen are all true and haven't been denied by the Gore camp.

There are the same tools that know that OJ was guilty, b/c of course they were there.

Actually, he WAS proven guilty in a civil court.

They also know all about politics, religion and every other subject under the sun, in FULL apparent authority, (or least they think) enough to comment intelligently upon and of course, without any sort of political bias on any issue

Again, I can read the facts. There all there in post #1. You don't want to beleive them thats your choice.

Klaus, I just love your posts.

Ahhh.. How sweet. I guess you missed that "Hypocrisy" part of the tread title... no one here disagree's with the fact that Al Gore has done a lot of pressing for Green Earth Policies. It's the HYPOCRISY of him TELLING us what to do when he does whatever the hell he wants... THAT'S the point of this thread... so if you want to continue to kiss Klaus feet because he's trying to change the intent of this tread you be my guest...

I love how you all think you know the facts and can intelligently comment on them.

Those of us who can read articles and thread titles really can intelligently comment while those here who obviously have issues doing the same might do otherwise.

WellHung

Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:39 pm

Like I said before, a sense of humor isn't necessarily a bad thing, you should try it sometime, Wellhung.

Yeah, because the death of the current and former Vice-President just gets me rolling...  sarcastic 

Why would I need to back up the trend?

Because you are using it in an argument. You said there was a 'cooling trend'. The data clearly show otherwise. You did not call it a 'supposed cooling trend' (still wrong) or an 'erroneously supposed cooling trend' (still wrong). Or even an 'incorrect prediction of a future cooling trend' (getting warmer). Next time you want to use a 'trend' to make a 'point', you are best served to make sure it is actually 'true'.

along with the fact that it is a highly political - which means an entire dose of bullshit goes along with each side on the issue.

The fact that you are 'undecided' shows you are letting politics get in the way of your judgement. And that is exactly what they want. There is no debate in the peer-reviewed scientific community. I'll take them over some politician on either side who is getting lobbied to shit by corporation that don't want regulations.

JAL777

Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:44 pm

Quoting WellHung (Reply 13):
Their car? A Lexus hybrid SUV.

Quoting WellHung (Reply 83):
Because you are using it in an argument. You said there was a 'cooling trend'. The data clearly show otherwise. You did not call it a 'supposed cooling trend' (still wrong) or an 'erroneously supposed cooling trend' (still wrong). Or even an 'incorrect prediction of a future cooling trend' (getting warmer). Next time you want to use a 'trend' to make a 'point', you are best served to make sure it is actually 'true'.

Global Cooling was a "theory" that was relatively popular during the 1970's. It went beyond the scientific communities when it was highlighted by Newsweek and Time amongst other media.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_cooling

JAL777

Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:52 pm

. There is no debate in the peer-reviewed scientific community.

Of course there is... without debate it wouldn't be scientific now would it? Is it highly in favor of Global Warming? Yes... but so was the scientific community in favorite of Newtonian physics when a patent clerk decided to think outside the box.

galapagapop

Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:53 pm

Energy is engery, green or not, he and his eco-pals have encouraged reduced energy consumption by the World, mainly the US due to the US's excessive waste. Who cares if he buys farts versus oil? I mean really it all is engery in the end, it all isn't without it's hitches, but he still goes against his platform by consuming that much energy period. He's still attemping to use energy to power his Extremly necissary 10,000 sqft home, not to mention the amount of time he actually spends at the house while touring and speaking. But hey, what would you do if you made $40+ million since 2000 off what is "World issue"

Since when did the world end up in Al Gore's wallet..............

WellHung

Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:00 pm

Quoting JAL777 (Reply 84):
Global Cooling was a "theory" that was relatively popular during the 1970's. It went beyond the scientific communities when it was highlighted by Newsweek and Time amongst other media.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_...oling

Exactly. A theory, not a trend.

Quoting JAL777 (Reply 85):
Of course there is... without debate it wouldn't be scientific now would it? Is it highly in favor of Global Warming? Yes... but so was the scientific community in favorite of Newtonian physics when a patent clerk decided to think outside the box.

This should put your 'theory' to rest.

The American Meteorological Society (6), the American Geophysical Union (7), and the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) all have issued statements in recent years concluding that the evidence for human modification of climate is compelling (8).

The drafting of such reports and statements involves many opportunities for comment, criticism, and revision, and it is not likely that they would diverge greatly from the opinions of the societies' members. Nevertheless, they might downplay legitimate dissenting opinions. That hypothesis was tested by analyzing 928 abstracts, published in refereed scientific journals between 1993 and 2003, and listed in the ISI database with the keywords "climate change" (9).

The 928 papers were divided into six categories: explicit endorsement of the consensus position, evaluation of impacts, mitigation proposals, methods, paleoclimate analysis, and rejection of the consensus position. Of all the papers, 75% fell into the first three categories, either explicitly or implicitly accepting the consensus view; 25% dealt with methods or paleoclimate, taking no position on current anthropogenic climate change. Remarkably, none of the papers disagreed with the consensus position.

Admittedly, authors evaluating impacts, developing methods, or studying paleoclimatic change might believe that current climate change is natural. However, none of these papers argued that point.

http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/306/5702/1686

[Edited 2007-02-28 05:01:57]

NWA742

Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:01 pm

Yeah, because the death of the current and former Vice-President just gets me rolling...

Because you are using it in an argument.

I'm using it simply for an example - that doesn't mean I advocate, believe in, or support it an anyway. In fact, the reason I used it is because it was a environmental theory that ended up being wrong.

You said there was a 'cooling trend'. You did not call it a 'supposed cooling trend' (still wrong) or an 'erroneously supposed cooling trend' (still wrong). Or even an 'incorrect prediction of a future cooling trend' (getting warmer).

I said there was a global cooling trend (as in, MOVEMENT, STANCE, AN ASSORTMENT OF AGREEING BELIEFS IN A COOLING EARTH), and there was.

I wasn't talking about it in a scientific context, and you would be justified in taking it that way, that is of course unless me and another user happened to not be discussing the subject of environmental theories - if you'd taken that into consideration instead of bringing your usual nitpicking throwing words in mouth bullshit, when the word "trend" is spoken, you'd probably understand it's referring to a set of beliefs, like the global cooling trend in the 70s.

Getting the drift here, Wellhung? No? Gee, how shocking.

The data clearly show otherwise.

Right, and I've already acknowledged that data several times now.

Next time you want to use a 'trend' to make a 'point', you are best served to make sure it is actually 'true'.

Why does it have to be true to make a point? Say you started a movement with the theory that the sky is red and you gathered a large group of followers - I could be trying to make a point about your level of intelligence by using that trend.

And before you rattle off again, I'd just like to save a little extra bullshit from you and mention that I'm not comparing Global Warming to the above example.

The fact that you are 'undecided' shows you are letting politics get in the way of your judgement.

Actually, the fact that I'm not letting politics (from either side) in the way of my judgement, I'd say I'm quite well justified in being undecided. Politics are the best way to sell bullshit, plain and simple.

There is no debate in the peer-reviewed scientific community.

Actually there is - don't tell me every single scientist has the same view over global warming. If there were no debates, the assumption that global warming is caused by humans more than anything else would be accepted as a scientific fact.

-NWA742

[Edited 2007-02-28 05:02:14]

MDorBust

Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:02 pm

Carbon credits are just indulgences for a different century. Forgive your sins through your pocketbook.
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

JAL777

Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:05 pm

Quoting WellHung (Reply 87):
This should put your 'theory' to rest.

My theory? I'm not qualified enough to say one way or the other... please don't interpret my willingness to hear everybody's point of view as somehow indicative of my opinion one way or the other.

But, any scientific theory that does not allow for dissent isn't very scientific in my opinion.

[Edited 2007-02-28 05:08:09]

WellHung

Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:12 pm

Quoting NWA742 (Reply 88):
MOVEMENT, STANCE, AN ASSORTMENT OF AGREEING BELIEFS IN A COOLING EARTH

Then it should have been phrased as the 'global cooling bandwagon' or something to that effect so your meaning was clear. It would have never been an issue. Although I don't see why you failed to mention this in earlier replies - specifically when I asked if you were referring to it as a 'trendy' thing.

Getting the drift here, Wellhung? No? Gee, how shocking.

crying 

Why does it have to be true to make a point?

Maybe 'true' was the wrong word. Make sure it 'exists'.

Actually there is - don't tell me every single scientist has the same view over global warming. If there were no debates, the assumption that global warming is caused by humans more than anything else would be accepted as a scientific fact.

Quoting WellHung (Reply 87):
The American Meteorological Society (6), the American Geophysical Union (7), and the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) all have issued statements in recent years concluding that the evidence for human modification of climate is compelling (8).

The drafting of such reports and statements involves many opportunities for comment, criticism, and revision, and it is not likely that they would diverge greatly from the opinions of the societies' members. Nevertheless, they might downplay legitimate dissenting opinions. That hypothesis was tested by analyzing 928 abstracts, published in refereed scientific journals between 1993 and 2003, and listed in the ISI database with the keywords "climate change" (9).

The 928 papers were divided into six categories: explicit endorsement of the consensus position, evaluation of impacts, mitigation proposals, methods, paleoclimate analysis, and rejection of the consensus position. Of all the papers, 75% fell into the first three categories, either explicitly or implicitly accepting the consensus view; 25% dealt with methods or paleoclimate, taking no position on current anthropogenic climate change. Remarkably, none of the papers disagreed with the consensus position.

Admittedly, authors evaluating impacts, developing methods, or studying paleoclimatic change might believe that current climate change is natural. However, none of these papers argued that point.

http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/conten.../1686

Quoting JAL777 (Reply 90):

My theory? I'm not qualified enough to say one way or the other...

Your theory that there is debate within the scientific community mentioned above.

JAL777

Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:14 pm

Quoting WellHung (Reply 91):
Your theory that there is debate within the scientific community mentioned above.

You mean to tell me that every single climatologist on this planet believes in global warming??

I know of one at Rutgers who isn't a big fan of the idea.

mirrodie

Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:30 pm

Quoting GuitrThree (Reply 82):
don't know what "facts" you are looking at... but the the facts that I've seen are all true and haven't been denied by the Gore camp.

All true according to what source? I don't beleive anything. It's all BS and heresay.

Actually, he WAS proven guilty in a civil court.

Means nothing to me. My opinion is that unless I was there, I know nothing about it. Call me crazy.

It's the HYPOCRISY of him TELLING us what to do when he does whatever the hell he wants... THAT'S the point of this thread... so if you want to continue to kiss Klaus feet because he's trying to change the intent of this tread you be my guest...

Guess I hit a nerve b/c I share the same views as Klaus. Oh well.
Sorry but I don't find the facts credible when I consider all the sources.
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

NWA742

Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:43 pm

Then it should have been phrased as the 'global cooling bandwagon' or something to that effect so your meaning was clear.

I think it was clear enough, considering the subject.

Although I don't see why you failed to mention this in earlier replies - specifically when I asked if you were referring to it as a 'trendy' thing.

I missed your question above - I would've clarified earlier for you.

Make sure it 'exists'.

Are you saying it didn't?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_...he_Middle_of_the_Twentieth_Century

Quote:

Do they represent every scientist?

-NWA742

MaverickM11

Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:43 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 73):
No, but you've probably never actually bothered to check what it's really about.

Which time?

Molykote

Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:57 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 40):
Every market is artifical, that doesn't mean market-based solutions don't work

I am all for market-based solutions (if anyone cares to search the history of some of my commentary on these forums it will be apparent).

Looking at the total scope of my post I believe it's eveident that I suggested (or perhaps implied) the problem is a lack of "buy in" from the rest of society. If society rejects the idea of carbon credits, it's basically irrelevant that Gore abides by the rules of a carbon credit system (as the rest of society will simply ignore these "rules"). If the world embaraces the carbon credit system as the best option to address this issue, the situation chanages.

I do not care to debate the finer points of your assertion that "every market is artificial". It would seem that (philosophically) one could argue that all markets are "real" and that only the effectiveness/efficiency/etc of each market is variable. I am not well educated on the finer points of such a discussion so I am basically "shooting from the hip" with my comments and I'll let further discussion on this issue rest. However, if you have any interesting reading/links to share on the matter I'd appreciate it.

The larger point here is that buy in to the carbon market system (by Gore or any other small party) is basically meaningless if the system is otherwise ignored by society as a whole.
Speedtape - The aspirin of aviation!

WellHung

Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:59 pm

Quoting JAL777 (Reply 92):
You mean to tell me that every single climatologist on this planet believes in global warming??

I know of one at Rutgers who isn't a big fan of the idea.

There may be a few, but either their methods or analysis are obviously not up to par or their beliefs are outlandish, since they can't seem to get anything published in respected journals. If someone with sound theory and evidence could write a paper to the contrary, I'm sure the politicians would be cramming it down your throat. The fact that you can't even find that one paper should tell you something. But even if you could, 1 vs 1000 does not constitute a 'debate'. You don't need to be a scientist to look at the graph I posted above and see the atmosphere is warming. I've provided a link with statistical data showing over a 10 year period and 928 papers, not one was against global warming. And not one claimed humas aren't the source of it. All you have is heresay. Until you can provide something more concrete, your opinion is irrelevant.

Quoting NWA742 (Reply 94):
Do they represent every scientist?

LMAO. No, which is why the analysis was done - to see if the views shared by the organizations are also shared by the scientists who can produce work of quality that is accepted by their peers. It is quite clear that they are. Again, even if you could find a few scientists who claim otherwise (but can't seem to get their papers published in a respected journal), that does not constitute a debate. That would be like claiming there was 'debate' within the religious community when David Koresh and his followers ploclaimed him the Son of God.

Face it. There is no debate. You are simply falling victim to politicians hijacking the issue.

[Edited 2007-02-28 06:01:18]

NWA742

Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:06 pm

Quoting WellHung (Reply 97):
LMAO. No

There may be a few

Than it's simple - there is a debate. Not every scientist agrees on it. Some differ big time, others have small disagreements. Hell, there are differences among scientists who all believe that humans are a main cause of the earth warming - you know, like to the particular extent of human effect, the long term outcomes, etc. That alone is enough to say that there is a debate regarding this subject. If there wasn't, we'd be talking about a scientific fact here, not a theory.

You are wrong.

-NWA742

NWA742

Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:08 pm

There is no debate. You are simply falling victim to politicians hijacking the issue.

If you only knew the unbelievable irony.

-NWA742