Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Aaron747
Topic Author

Japan Prime Minister Denies WW2 Comfort Women

Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:54 am

Mr. Abe has now entered the realm of complete and utter buffoonery. What a useless POS

The Japan Times

Yasuji Kaneko, 87, still remembers the screams of the countless women he raped in China as a foot soldier in the Imperial Japanese Army in World War II.

Some were teenagers from the Korean Peninsula serving as sex slaves in military-run brothels. Others were women in villages he and his comrades pillaged as they battled in eastern China.

"They cried out, but it didn't matter to us whether the women lived or died," Kaneko said in an interview at his Tokyo home. "We were the Emperor's soldiers. Whether in military brothels or in the villages, we raped without reluctance."

Japan's forced prostitution of some 200,000 women in military brothels in the 1930s and '40s has long constituted one of the most horrifying chapters of its wartime rampage across Asia. A top government spokesman was finally forced to acknowledge wrongdoing in 1993.

Now the government is questioning whether the apology was needed.

Prime Minister Shinzo Abe on Thursday publicly denied women were forced into the military brothels in conquered lands, boosting renewed efforts by rightwing politicians who claim the women involved were professional prostitutes rather than victims of abuse.

"There was no evidence to prove there was coercion as initially suggested," Abe told reporters. "That largely changes what constitutes the definition of coercion, and we have to take it from there."

The debate is heating up just as a private fund set up to compensate some of the victims is about to expire at the end of March amid accusations it was only a cover for the government to avoid taking responsibility. The government has rejected most compensation claims, saying they were settled by postwar treaties.

For rightists, however, Japan's apology went too far. Just hours before Abe spoke, a group of ruling Liberal Democratic Party lawmakers met to prepare a proposal that urges the government to water down parts of the 1993 apology and deny direct military involvement.

"Some say it is useful to compare the brothels to college cafeterias run by private companies, who recruit their own staff, procure foodstuffs, and set prices," said Nariaki Nakayama, chairman of the group of 120 lawmakers, of which Abe is a member.

"And where there's demand, businesses crop up . . . but to say women were forced by the Japanese military into service is off the mark," he said. "This issue must be reconsidered, based on truth . . . for the sake of Japanese honor."

Nakayama has no clue as to what honor means. He should talk to the soldier quoted in the beginning of the article.

much more here, including South Korean reactions to his idiotic statement

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/nn20070304a1.html

[Edited 2007-03-04 23:55:15]

ANCFlyer

RE: Japan Prime Minister Denies WW2 Comfort Women

Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:14 am

Well, this is interesting.

It's fairly well documented, in photos, and personal accounts both by the women subjected to this horror and by the men that partook thereof.

WTF is PM Abe thinking? Just "willing" history to go away?

I guess there were not experimental medical camps in China either? (I know, long denied, photos notwithstanding).

Aaron747
Topic Author

Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:21 am

The LDP has become a party of right-wing historical revisionists completely unwilling to face the past (as if that's easy to do in this culture to begin with) and every time there's outcry from abroad, their efforts are redoubled, as has been shown to be the case here.

Comparing military-run brothels to company cafeterias?? Unbelievable!

I don't know WTF Abe is thinking either, but this is not the way to improve relations with South Korea and China at a time where both the domestic and export economies are shrinking and future regional cooperation will become essential to this country's continued relevance. Of course those facts get in the way of Japanese "honor" as well.

The worst has been that there are many soldiers coming out with wartime accounts on their deathbeds, but their stories are denounced by the nationalists as cries of senility and conspiracy theory.

[Edited 2007-03-05 00:22:45]

ANCFlyer

Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:38 am

Well, when will get around to denying Pearl Harbor? How 'bout the other atrocities during WW2.

It baffles me that a progressive society like Japan - and it's people - who obviously KNOW the truth - simply accept this? Or do they?

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 2):
Of course those facts get in the way of Japanese "honor" as well.

Yup . . . I'm sure it does.

Would not the honorable thing to do be to admit ones grievous errors and take steps to prevent that in the future. Lying, well, that is NOT very honorable.

KFLLCFII

Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:40 am

Pardon my ignorance, but how does this compare to Germany's handling of its past with regard to the same time period?

I know the US enacted legislation formally apologizing for Japanese internment, as signed by President Reagan (and providing for reparations), but how too does/has Germany recognized its past? And how does it handle the Public Relations aspect of it now?

Yellowstone

Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:42 am

First the Armenian genocide denial in Turkey, now this. When are people going to learn that covering up history is one of the first steps to repeating it? Stop being so concerned with your "national honor." Own up to what your grandfathers did and try to make amends.

Aaron747
Topic Author

Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:51 am

Avoiding confrontation

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 3):
It baffles me that a progressive society like Japan - and it's people - who obviously KNOW the truth - simply accept this? Or do they?

Not everybody knows the truth. Like other developed countries, the quality of education here has been in steady decline since the early '80s. History is among the least favorite subjects for most high school students these days - they could really care less as long as they get their latest MTV, pop star, video game, hottie fix. WW2 is glossed over heavily in most textbooks anyway and it's not until university education that it's explored in any meaningful detail.

Worse yet, a lot of people do know the truth but choose to do nothing as far as calling for government responsibility. There are a number of reasons for that, some cultural, some political. Nationalist elements are still at large in Japan and many are privately fearful of them. A major corporation's CEO spoke out against right wing points of view a few years back and got rocks through his windows and death threats against his family in the mail as a reward.

ShakeZulaNJ

Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:57 am

Maybe someone that has a better understanding of military history can explain this to me. Feel free to correct me as I am curious about this.

My understanding of the Axis defeat after WWII was that Germany was forced to acknowledge it's war time crimes fully and blame for this went ALL the way to the top, meaning the blame was also laid at Hitler's doorstep. Nuremberg punished and places accountability for the crimes committed. But, for Japan, the blame didn't go as high as to reach the Emperor; in fact, he was spared all blame. It stopped at Tojo. As well, Japan never had to fully answer for its wartime crimes in Asia, even though several high ranking officials were tried and convicted.

That being said, Japan should have been forced to answer for all their wartime crimes that same way Germany had to. As ANC pointed out, there are very well documented mass rapes and other crimes committed against the civilian population of mainland Asia by the Japanese. For Abe to even consider denying it is horrible and would be like Germany trying to deny its war crimes 60 years later. If the man wants real honor, he would admit the wrongdoing of Japan.

Doona

Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:08 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 3):

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 6):
WW2 is glossed over heavily in most textbooks anyway and it's not until university education that it's explored in any meaningful detail.

checkmark 

I was talking to a university student in Gifu 18 months ago, and he tried very hard to convince me that the truth was that Japan was tricked and forced into WW2. General American sneakyness, that sort of thing. And remember, around that time, summer of '05, the Chinese were practically lynching Japanese nationals in China, because of Japanese history textbooks.

However, I don't see how one can seriously claim that 200 000 women (most of whom came from areas occupied by Japan, and therefore probably did not like the Japanese very much), would choose to prostitute themselves. If there were indeed some who volunteered, no way would it be anywhere close to such a high number.

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 1):
WTF is PM Abe thinking? Just "willing" history to go away?

Shinzo Abe is a little crazy. I'm guessing that his new nationalistic education plans are not going to help the WW2 situation... I so liked his predecessor, Koizumi-san. Especially the hair-do...

Cheers
Mats

aloges

Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:24 am

Quoting KFLLCFII (Reply 4):
Pardon my ignorance, but how does this compare to Germany's handling of its past with regard to the same time period?

Very poorly. Every time I read about the Japanese take on WW2, I can't help but think "if we did the same, we'd be neo-nazis".

but how too does/has Germany recognized its past?

We keep beating it to death more than 60 years after it. Tonight on the largest national public TV station (ARD):
20:15-21:45 (prime time): "The Escape" episode 1 of 2, made-for-TV drama on German refugees trying to escape from Eastern Prussia before the Red Army got there
23:00-00:00 "The Escape of the Women", TV documentary on the personal fates of three women from the same region

I'd be hard-pressed to find a day where nothing on WW2 or its aftermath (partition of the country) is on TV. The far-right in Germany always associate themselves with violent neo-nazis, such as the NPD ("German National Democratic Party") which only escaped its own prohibition because governmental surveillance was a bit too good at infiltrating the party; in a nutshell.

And how does it handle the Public Relations aspect of it now?

Very openly: apart from the revisionist minority you'd get in any country, no one even remotely alleges that pleading guilty for WW2 might somehow have a thing to do with "national honour"; as a matter of fact, the 2006 football world cup was the first occasion where declarations of love for the homeland by flag-waving football fans weren't regarded as a problem. Even so, with black-red-gold being the colours of German democracy, there was much discussion.

It took decades, literally, for anyone in Germany to discuss the bombings of Hamburg, Dresden, Pforzheim and so on as war crimes. And still, no documentary on any of them goes without mentioning that they were in retaliation for German war crimes of very similar kind; Coventry being a notable example.

As for "public relations", there is definitely some friction between the German government and e.g. the Jewish Claims Conference. Our corporations whose predecessors were involved in forced labour have long refused to compensate those victims who survived until the 90s, obviously out of greed and lacking responsibility, but finally they agreed to forming a fund for them. There is controversy over works of art - should they be returned to their pre-WW2 owners, should they not, under what terms?

ltbewr

Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:58 pm

Quoting ShakeZulaNJ (Reply 7):
My understanding of the Axis defeat after WWII was that Germany was forced to acknowledge it's war time crimes fully and blame for this went ALL the way to the top, meaning the blame was also laid at Hitler's doorstep. Nuremberg punished and places accountability for the crimes committed. But, for Japan, the blame didn't go as high as to reach the Emperor; in fact, he was spared all blame. It stopped at Tojo. As well, Japan never had to fully answer for its wartime crimes in Asia, even though several high ranking officials were tried and convicted.

A number of political compromises took place by and among the leading winning powers of WWII - US, UK, France and the USSR as to Europe and Japan.
As you note, in Europe, while we allowed Eastern Europe to go under the control of the USSR, as a spoils of war, the USSR, the other Allies in WWII as well as all other countries involved all wanted the world and Germany to never forget the obscene sins of Nazism such as the Holocaust and made sure such facilities used in were kept for history.
As to Japan by the USA, we did far too many compromises. While the USA did occupy the country (and still has bases there) and restructured the government of Japan into a major democracy, the extreme difficulty with understanding the language and culture of Japan (unlike with Germany), the far less documentation of the horrors of the Japanese in the 1930's through WWII, cold war fears of Communist takeover of Asia (especially as to the USSR) as well as what could be guilt for the use of Nuclear weapons in Japan probably led to too much compromise. Further, I don't think there was the knowlege of the horrors of the Japanese of their WWII and pre-WWII behavors until well after the power was returned to them and more so when China opened up in the 1970's. We let the Japanese people to continue to keep control of it's schools after our occupation, how they wrote the history, how they treated their citizens and those in war, especially the Emperor and we never insisted on maintaining within Japan any references to their evil horrors. Granted they didn't have such an organzied Holicost as Nazi Germany had, but their policies included mass rape in China, sexual slavery (like the 'confort women'), work slavery, obscene medical expiriments, horrible treatment of caputred peoples including POW's that must be part of their historical records. We allowed the Japanese people to just bury that history, become a leading economic and 'democratic' power, but without a military force.
There are many other and more complicated differnces between WW2 for Japan vs. Germany that could take a book to detail, but I hope my comments help.

Klaus

Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:26 pm

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 10):
As you note, in Europe, while we allowed Eastern Europe to go under the control of the USSR, as a spoils of war, the USSR, the other Allies in WWII as well as all other countries involved all wanted the world and Germany to never forget the obscene sins of Nazism such as the Holocaust and made sure such facilities used in were kept for history.

From your perspective that view is somewhat understandable, but it wasn't quite that simple.

After a relatively short time immediately following the war with the Nürnberg trials and prosecution of a few other perpetrators, the cold war took precedence and staunch anticommunism was deemed more important than moral considerations. Many german nazis and even war criminals were seen as useful and reliably anti-communist by both the german and the american governments and most people were glad that they were allowed to forget about the third reich.

It took the student protests in 1968 (inspired by the american civil rights movement) to shake up that cozy but deceptively peaceful situation.

The student protests were not least a protest against the generation of their parents most of whom had never talked about the cruel past, instead wallowing in entertainment of the shallowest kind and convinced that there had to be a Schlußstrich - a line drawn under the nazi past, never to be mentioned again.

While some of the protesters resorted to various grades of violence - our former foreign minister Joschka Fischer had been among those who threw stones in demonstrations, others became terrorists - the much more relevant impact was that the nazi past was re-opened and a new wave of research and public introspection began which had been suppressed before.

If it had been for just what the allies wanted, none of that would have happened and we'd probably be in a similar situation as Japan today.

I for my part am happy that we've learned (and are still learning) to openly deal with our collective past; Historically that has been a very rare exception - the norm is that the atrocities of the past are simply swept under the rug as far as possible.

The south african reconciliation efforts, the american attempts in coming to terms with both slavery and ethnic cleansing against the native population are examples that the pain and effort is worth it for real peace of mind, and I fear that Japan is only prolonging its own problems with the widespread denial even at the government level.

Younger japanese watchers of Clint Eastwood's recent war drama Letters from Iwo Jima (2006) were shocked to learn about this chapter of their history for the first time - they had never before heard about it. Veteran survivors reacted with sadness and relief - their memory was never welcome for being connected with a painful defeat, so they didn't get much if any acknowledgment.

I don't think that blindness to one's darker history can ever be a good thing. The cruel denial of the suffering of the "comfort women" just makes things worse yet again. Many of them had been expelled from their own families after having been abused by the occupators; Koreans themselves apparently have long had trouble facing this chapter of their own history as well. Only relatively recent initiatives have raised public awareness of their plight.

Aaron747
Topic Author

Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:36 pm

Another chapter opened in this today - now Abe has indirectly blamed the US for his failure to apologize. He indicated in comments earlier that the US House resolution condemning the comfort women is "not based on conclusive evidence" and there will be no apology so long as it stands.

Klaus

Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:58 pm

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 12):
Another chapter opened in this today - now Abe has indirectly blamed the US for his failure to apologize.

He sounds like a real piece of work...!  yuck 

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 12):
condemning the comfort women

Shouldn't that have been "condemning the abuse of the 'comfort women'"?  eyebrow 

UALPHLCS

Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:27 pm

I don't find it too surprising.

I've never seen a country with it's collective head in the sand more that Japan.

Americans acknowledge Slavery and the mistreatment of the Indians.

Germany acknowledges it's culpability for the holocaust.

Japan loves to portray itself as the victim in World War II. Beaten up by the US, who so callously dropped atom bombs on them, conveniently ignoring they COULD have ended it long before, but for their Bushido code. This denial of "comfort women" fits perfectly with the denial of the Rape of Nanking.

And I know, not all Japanese are so active in their denial, however the downplaying of Japans atrocities in World War II in their History books leads to apathy among those who would oppose the more radical denial.

Indifference only feeds the denial.

us330

Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:33 am

Abe, and every other japanese politician for that matter, may not realize it, but their refusal to admit and confront the reality of Japanese actions during WWII is only screwing them over in the long run. While Koreans as a whole might be currently divided by political boundaries, they are still unified by their common hatred and resentment of the various Japanese escapades on the Korean peninsula during the 20th century. According to one of my professors who used to work for the CIA, there is a Korean saying that basically says that after the peninsula politically reunifies, they will then move on Japan.

N1120A

Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:54 am

Quoting Yellowstone (Reply 5):
First the Armenian genocide denial in Turkey

At least Japan has issued an apology and doesn't have the US backing it up in its lies and denial.

but how too does/has Germany recognized its past?

You need to take a trip to Berlin.

And how does it handle the Public Relations aspect of it now?

Aside from Helmut Kohl's unfortunate statements several years ago, I would say Germany has done all it can to rectify its past with its present.

Quoting ShakeZulaNJ (Reply 7):
meaning the blame was also laid at Hitler's doorstep.

Too bad he killed himself.

Quoting US330 (Reply 15):
there is a Korean saying that basically says that after the peninsula politically reunifies, they will then move on Japan.

And that would be the end of Korea. If WWII proved anything, it proved that Imperialism in the form of seizing control of an actual sovereign entity as opposed to maintaining hegemonic control of a sphere of influence is not allowed in the world anymore.

baroque

Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:18 am

Quoting Doona (Reply 8):
Shinzo Abe is a little crazy. I'm guessing that his new nationalistic education plans are not going to help the WW2 situation... I so liked his predecessor, Koizumi-san. Especially the hair-do...

Koizumi was not exactly withouth blemish either.

Further, I don't think there was the knowledge of the horrors of the Japanese of their WWII and pre-WWII behaviors until well after the power was returned to them and more so when China opened up in the 1970's.

Oh no, it was well known and some Japanese histories had already been pretty honest about what happened. Japan has some very good historians as well as the revisionist type.

Granted they didn't have such an organized Holocaust as Nazi Germany had, but their policies included mass rape in China, sexual slavery (like the comfort women'), work slavery, obscene medical experiments, horrible treatment of captured peoples including POW's that must be part of their historical records.

It depends a bit what you mean by organization. Arguably the whole administration in occupied territories had similar rule of engagement as the worst parts of the Nazi army. I wonder if you might be surprised if you check on estimations of deaths caused by the Japanese in the pursuit of their Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere. A check on Indonesian deaths in WWII shows 4 million, and 4 million did not die fighting for the Dutch. They were killed in Indonesia, or transported to work camps and killed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_II_casualties
Thai deaths were similarly high but there is a fiction in Thailand that it was not occupied, so the number reported is 5,600 military with not a single civilian dying. Check some of the accounts of the Burma railway and you will see that is simply not true. Total civilian deaths from Japan are very high, and probably understated for a range of reasons, some of which are connected with independence movements that the Japanese claimed to have assisted.
Ask some older Javanese and ask them about WW II but they will never volunteer that information.

Quoting Klaus (Reply 11):
Koreans themselves apparently have long had trouble facing this chapter of their own history as well.

Yes, except it would be more fair to state "Some" Koreans. Koreans were among those suffering as well as among those perpetrating awful things. At least some Koreans can make the distinctions.

TheCol

Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:38 am

While Koreans as a whole might be currently divided by political boundaries, they are still unified by their common hatred and resentment of the various Japanese escapades on the Korean peninsula during the 20th century.

It isn't only the Koreans, but China and almost every other country in Asia. The feeling is mutual too. It's like the war never ended.

According to one of my professors who used to work for the CIA, there is a Korean saying that basically says that after the peninsula politically reunifies, they will then move on Japan.

I bet China would also like to have a go at them too. This is why I caution against a new arms race in the region; whether if it's weapons in space or the nuclear variety. If Japan gets a hold of those weapons, we're looking at a new "Cold War".

Klaus

Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:51 am

Quoting TheCol (Reply 18):
It isn't only the Koreans, but China and almost every other country in Asia. The feeling is mutual too. It's like the war never ended.

And it is extremely stupid for Japan to hand China the means to use everybody's resentment as a tool for their own interests. Especially now as Japan is changing the nature of their army.

Really stupid!  headache 

us330

Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:27 am

Yep. It appears East Asia could be the next Kosovo/Serbia.

max999

Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:29 am

The Japanese government today again denied the military had forced women into prostitution during WWII.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/16/world/asia/16cnd-japan.html?hp

It's very sad that these conservative denialists are gaining so much power in Japan.

Aaron747
Topic Author

Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:50 am

It's absolutely disgusting. There's hardly a peep about it on the evening news and only the translated versions of the national dailies are carrying any discussion on the issue. The government doesn't want public discussion of the issue in any meaningful way and they've succeeded time and again in making sure of that.

baroque

Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:01 pm

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 22):
It's absolutely disgusting. There's hardly a peep about it on the evening news and only the translated versions of the national dailies are carrying any discussion on the issue. The government doesn't want public discussion of the issue in any meaningful way and they've succeeded time and again in making sure of that.

It seems you are not wrong. Our beloved PM went to Japan last week certain he would raise the matter. What happened? Well who would know. Looks as if GoJ squashed even a mention of it. Mind you, Howard had a few major fires back at home, so perhaps he did not raise the matter as much as was expected.

As Klaus writes, the sad thing is how much damage the whole approach does to the reputation of Japan. Especially when it is thinking of taking on a more normal role for its current armed forces.

Blackbird

Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:17 am

Let's just hope the Japanese don't ever attack us. With all their technological know-how they could pull a Terminator scenario on us.

TheCol

Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:03 am

Quoting Blackbird (Reply 24):

I think they learned their lesson the last time...  bomb 

Aaron747
Topic Author

Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:08 am

What a sensitive comment...sheesh.

max999

Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:18 pm

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 22):

Are you saying that the press is not covering the issue (on their own accord) or the government is actively dissuading journalists from talking about it?

baroque

Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:48 pm

Quoting Max999 (Reply 27):
Are you saying that the press is not covering the issue (on their own accord) or the government is actively dissuading journalists from talking about it?

At a guess it is not only the Japanese press that are being given the frighteners, when Howard went to Japan, he had been asked very publicly to raise the issue. I have not seen a word of results. It is true that quiet diplomacy would be better than the megaphone variety, but then again how do you tell the difference between quiet diplomacy and covering it up?

Aaron747
Topic Author

Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:26 pm

Quoting Max999 (Reply 27):

It's not the first time and certainly not the last. There was a prefectural governor's aide who just lauded himself last week for successfully completing an LDP project to erase all mention of sex slaves in WWII from history textbooks. That kind of thing is never on the news even though every last citizen ought to know about it.

baroque

Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:53 pm

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 29):
who just lauded himself last week for successfully completing an LDP project to erase all mention of sex slaves in WWII from history textbooks.

At least that shows two things.
1. They DO know it happened and
2. They ARE embarrassed about it.

All the while totally denying it ever happened. You wonder how they switch over to evidence based logic when doing something like engineering a Toyota.

Aaron747
Topic Author

Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:13 pm

It also means:

3. They're doing their damndest to ensure that the next generation is completely oblivious to 1 & 2.

baroque

Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:40 pm

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 31):
It also means:

3. They're doing their damndest to ensure that the next generation is completely oblivious to 1 & 2.

True, and no doubt that is the intent, but there are plenty of Japanese histories already out that do mention it and not in the kindest of terms. So they might try and they might even succeed with a high proportion, but the "secret" will still be accessible unless they purge the libraries. Hmmmm!!  covereyes 

hoons90

Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:31 am

I personally find this very disparaging. There was a documentary regarding this not too long ago, and apparently a few of the victims are still alive today, and they state that all they want is a formal apology from the government before the last victim passes away. Not apologizing is one thing, and now they are denying that this atrocity did not even exist?

Simply atrocious. I cannot imagine how miserable it must be to go through what they did, and now getting a slap in the face...