Confuscius
Topic Author

Scooter Libby Verdict

Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:07 am

Guilty on 4 out 5 counts.

speedbird747BA

RE: Scooter Libby Verdict

Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:10 am

Yep, just saw it Fox. What exactly did this affect?

Cheers,
Kyle

fraspotter

Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:16 am

I just read on CNN. Glad that he was found guilty. However they will most likely appeal....

Confuscius
Topic Author

Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:19 am

What exactly did this affect?

To Scooter, probably jail time without a presidential pardon.

He was indicted for lying in the CIA leak case.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewis_L...ctment.2C_resignation.2C_and_trial

one count of obstruction of justice
two counts of perjury
two counts of making false statements

[Edited 2007-03-06 18:20:36]

TedTAce

Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:22 am

Quoting Confuscius (Reply 3):
one count of obstruction of justice
two counts of perjury
two counts of making false statements

Which 4 of 5 was he convicted on?

Confuscius
Topic Author

Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:25 am

Which 4 of 5 was he convicted on?

Lets make it simple.   He was acquitted on the count regarding conversations with Matt Cooper of the NY Times.

Indictments...
http://www.usdoj.gov/usao/iln/osc/do...ents/libby_indictment_28102005.pdf

[Edited 2007-03-06 18:30:25]

AsstChiefMark

Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:29 am

Libby was convicted of:

1. Obstruction of justice when he intentionally deceived a grand jury investigating the outing of CIA operative Valerie Plame;

2. Making a false statement by intentionally lying to FBI agents about a conversation with NBC newsman Tim Russert;

3. Perjury when he lied in court about his conversation with Russert;

4. A second count of perjury when he lied in court about conversations with other reporters.

TedTAce

Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:30 am

Quoting Confuscius (Reply 5):
He was acquitted on the count regarding conversations with Matt Cooper of the NY Times.

Thanks  

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/03/06/cia.leak/index.html

Quote:
Libby was convicted of:

obstruction of justice when he intentionally deceived a grand jury investigating the outing of CIA operative Valerie Plame;

making a false statement by intentionally lying to FBI agents about a conversation with NBC newsman Tim Russert;

perjury when he lied in court about his conversation with Russert;

a second count of perjury when he lied in court about conversations with other reporters.

That left the 'one count of making false statments'

[Edited 2007-03-06 18:32:33]

Gunships

Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:36 am

At the most, Libby will spend some time in a "country club". After that, he will make millions writing books and giving speeches.

Who says crime doesn't pay?

luv2fly

Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:37 am

Well like Mom always said, "When you lie down with dogs, you get up with fleas"

TedTAce

Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:48 am

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 9):
Well like Mom always said, "When you lie down with dogs, you get up with fleas"

You aren't saying that Bush, Chaney, et al are dogs are you?  stirthepot 

Moose135

Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:58 am

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 10):
You aren't saying that Bush, Chaney, et al are dogs are you?

No, that would be insulting to dogs  Wink

Confuscius
Topic Author

Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:14 am

Thanks

You're welcome Ted. BTW, that was my FOX News spin response. 1 out of 5 ain't bad.  Wink

The more intriguing question is will Pat Fitzgerald offer Scooter a deal to go after a bigger fish?

mbmbos

Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:14 am

I suspect that President Cheney will pardon him. It's not like they could drop any lower in the polls and it's not like they care about the damage done to the Republican Party.

But I don't think it'll happen until sentencing has occurred and the appeals process comes to a dead end.

Quoting Gunships (Reply 8):
At the most, Libby will spend some time in a "country club".

Scoot has a mighty purty mouth. He might not have such a good time even if it's in a country club.  Smile

AsstChiefMark

Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:24 am

Quoting MBMBOS (Reply 13):
It's not like they could drop any lower in the polls and it's not like they care about the damage done to the Republican Party

Yep. Remember Bush saying he doesn't read? And that he doesn't care about what the polls say? On the other hand, he holds the record for killing the most people on death row while he was the Governor of Texas. Yeehaw!

Mark

UALPHLCS

Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:55 am

Scooter Libby lied to a grand jury.

Bill Clinton lost his licence to practice law for lying to a grand jury.

Interesting that the Democrats in Congress aren't reacting the same way they did when Clinton did it.

So Fitzgerald got a conviction.

What was he investigating again?

Oh right who leaked Valery Plame's name to the media. Didn't a State Department guy admit HE was the source? Yes I'm sure I heard that somewhere.

So tell me why does this matter?

Confuscius
Topic Author

Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:57 am

I suspect that President Cheney will pardon him.

Smile

Trivia from MSNBC: Speaking off pardons, When Mark Rich was pardoned by President Clinton, who was one of his lawyers?

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby

mbmbos

Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:02 am

Quoting UALPHLCS (Reply 15):
What was he investigating again?

Gosh, if I recall, his investigation was hampered because somebody blantantly lied. Do you believe in the rule of law, UAPPHLCS, or only when it's convenient for you?

AeroWesty

Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:03 am

Oh right who leaked Valery Plame's name to the media. Didn't a State Department guy admit HE was the source? Yes I'm sure I heard that somewhere.

Because the case wasn't about whether he leaked the name, it was whether he lied. Like Martha Stewart's prosecution wasn't over stock trades, it was over whether she lied about it. Bottom line, don't lie to federal investigators.

Pope

Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:18 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 18):
Because the case wasn't about whether he leaked the name, it was whether he lied.

Ahhhhhh. The typical liberal hypocrisy. THIS case was about lying in an investigation. But the CLINTON case was only about sex.

Me thinks that the best thing Scooter could do right now is to run to Israel and start contributing big to HRC's presidential campaign. She can then pardon him on her last day in office.

TedTAce

Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:20 am

Quoting Confuscius (Reply 12):
The more intriguing question is will Pat Fitzgerald offer Scooter a deal to go after a bigger fish?

Not if (as someone else pointed out) they have someone else saying they outed her. Now if it's proven that this 'other person' was a red herring, then you do raise an interesting question.

Quoting MBMBOS (Reply 13):
not like they care about the damage done to the Republican Party.

One might say, the sooner the pardon the better. The voters would write a pardon off now as a non-issue in nov and ALL the Republican candidates can say they thought it was a bad call. I'd equate this to a moderate body blow early in round 1. It stings, but is long forgotten by round 15.

Same reason it mattered when Clinton was convicted of lying. Something for the other party to gloat about.

Bottom line, don't lie to federal investigators.

yes 

PS When does Delay get his conviction..... err..... trial?

AeroWesty

Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:21 am

Quoting Pope (Reply 19):
Ahhhhhh. The typical liberal hypocrisy. THIS case was about lying in an investigation. But the CLINTON case was only about sex.

If you can find me stating that, go for it. Otherwise, there's no hypocrisy, merely a fishing expedition on your part. You must have bought a new bucket o' bait, eh? But there's plenty of bandwidth here, have at it.

mbmbos

Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:23 am

Quoting Pope (Reply 19):
The typical liberal hypocrisy.

If that's your fantasy then go ahead with your little choo-choo train of self-righteousness. You've just generalized and got it wrong.

I'm a liberal and I think Clinton got what's coming to him. Nobody should commit perjury. That's true for Clinton and it's true for Libby.

TedTAce

Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:29 am

Quoting Pope (Reply 19):
But the CLINTON case was only about sex.

ORLY? I really don't remember either of them being convicted (much less tried for) sodomy.

Quoting Pope (Reply 19):
Me thinks that the best thing Scooter could do right now is to run to Israel and start contributing big to HRC's presidential campaign. She can then pardon him on her last day in office.

Ok. Now you have confirmed that the pope does smoke dope.

Pope

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 21):
If you can find me stating that, go for it. Otherwise, there's no hypocrisy, merely a fishing expedition on your part.

I never said it was typical AeroWesty hypocrisy did I? But are you really saying that the mainstream liberal movement didn't argue that Clinton's lying was ok because it was about sex?

I for one have absolutely no problem with Libby going to jail. The law is the law whether he agrees with it or not.

Quoting MBMBOS (Reply 22):
I'm a liberal and I think Clinton got what's coming to him. Nobody should commit perjury.

checkmark 

Quoting MBMBOS (Reply 22):
That's true for Clinton and it's true for Libby.

Funny that the outcomes were so different.

ltbewr

It's too bad that some of the other parties to this scandal were also not also tried. I do suspect that President Bush may consider a pardon for Libby, but probably after the appeal to the Federal Circuit Court and they don't overturn the conviction. If it is overturned on appeal, I doubt there would be a retrial, so no need to pardon.
I do hope that the Congress/Senate will conduct investigations like done with the Watergate and other scandals to figure out who did what and to get to the real story.

AeroWesty

Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:31 am

Quoting Pope (Reply 24):
I never said it was typical AeroWesty hypocrisy did I?

Get it right then. I'm a social liberal, fiscal conservative. I've said it enough, jeez.

Quoting Pope (Reply 24):
I for one have absolutely no problem with Libby going to jail.

Good, that's the topic of this thread, not Clinton.

cfalk

Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:37 am

Because the case wasn't about whether he leaked the name, it was whether he lied.

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 21):
If you can find me stating that, go for it. Otherwise, there's no hypocrisy, merely a fishing expedition on your part.

Hardly a fishing expidition. The similarities between the two cases are uncanny.

- Both cases involved "crimes" of absolutely no consequence. One was a blowjob, and the other was the "outing" of a CIA employee who was already outed anyway and nobody cared about (not to mention that Richard Armitage, not Libby, was the offending party).

- Both cases rested not on the "crime" itself, but whether the accused lied under oath to investigators about it.

- In both cases, both of the accused lied hoping that people would realize that no real crime had been committed, and by not adding more fuel to the fire hopefully the case would disappear. In both cases the lying itself became the crime.

One of the accused is convicted, and one is acquitted. Many of the people who cheered one verdict cheered the other, simply based on their political convictions.

I think the double standard is definately an issue to be discussed.

AeroWesty

Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:39 am

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 27):
Hardly a fishing expidition.

The reference to the fishing expedition is Pope's well-known trolling on this site. Get it right. Thank you.

UALPHLCS

Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:42 am

Quoting MBMBOS (Reply 17):
Gosh, if I recall, his investigation was hampered because somebody blantantly lied.

How was it hampered? Fitzgerald never found the leaker. The leaker was in the State Department. Someone the media quickly covered by calling him a notorious gossip, like it was no big deal. But apparently Fitzgerald wanted to show SOMETHING for his efforts.

Quoting Pope (Reply 19):

Ding Ding Ding, get that man a cigar.

TedTAce

Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:44 am

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 25):
I do hope that the Congress/Senate will conduct investigations like done with the Watergate and other scandals to figure out who did what and to get to the real story

no  that's an e-ticket for the Dem's to take the low road. The last thing they need to do pre- '08 is look like devicive partisian buffons. Not that they aren't, but they just can't afford the image.

mbmbos

Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:48 am

Quoting UALPHLCS (Reply 29):
...Fitzgerald wanted to show SOMETHING for his efforts.

And yet, despite your contrived theory, Libby still committed perjury and obstructed justice.

Guilty, by a jury of his peers.

UALPHLCS

Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:20 am

Quoting MBMBOS (Reply 31):
And yet, despite your contrived theory, Libby still committed perjury and obstructed justice.

Guilty, by a jury of his peers.

Yes and OJ is an innocent man, by our legal system too.

max999

Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:21 am

Quoting Pope (Reply 19):

Everybody, including every politician, lies.

But using the Clinton comparison in this case is not fair. So I say let's take a look at the reasons for lying.

Lie
1) Clinton and Monica Lewinsky
2) Scooter Libby

Reason for Lying
1) To cover up marital infidelity to the world
2) To cover up a smear campaign against a war critic

You see...the reason why some people got upset over the Libby case is because of the level of maliciousness behind the lying. When Libby lied as part of a smear campaign, they were trying to discredit someone and succeeded in outing/ruining the career of an undercover CIA officer.

mbmbos

Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:26 am

Quoting UALPHLCS (Reply 32):
Yes and OJ is an innocent man, by our legal system too.

Are you saying that Libby is innocent of the charges brought against him?

AGM100

Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:36 am

It does matter , The Dems will make alot of HAY out of this. Its to be expected though , its to complicated for the average person to understand , just like the Dems want it.

IMO , The administration is at serious fault here .... Why the hell would they ever send of all people Joe Wilson to Niger to do anything ? To me this proves in some fashion that their was no attempt to cover anything up about WMD , why else would you send a guy that was already hostile towards the administration. It was either stupidity or unculcated trust that the guy was just going to do his job.

My god if Valerie Plame and Joe Wilson are the best the CIA has ,,, jesus ... just dig the hole now.

IMO they are seditious grand standers and of course , doing all possible to make the US look bad ... Thanks Joe and Valerie hope you sell alot of books.

UALPHLCS

Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:42 am

Quoting Max999 (Reply 33):
When Libby lied as part of a smear campaign, they were trying to discredit someone and succeeded in outing/ruining the career of an undercover CIA officer

Incorrect. The author of the law in question was on NPR when this first blew up and no one knew who leaked it. She flat out said that the CIA did not do what was required of the law to keep Plame under cover. If the CIA didn't specifically say to Novack (who sent his column to them) not to use Plame's name, then there was NO LEAK. No law was broken.

Libby wasn't attempting to smear anyone. He was trying to counter a lie told by Wilson. Namely that Wilson was sent to Niger by Cheney. We now know that Plame sent Wilson to Niger. So Libby and Cheney were trying to uncover why Wilson would say he was sent by Cheney.

So Libby did something stupid he lied to a grand jury to cover up...nothing there was no crime, hence the lack of indictments on anything important and substantive to the case to begin with. And the reason why the State Department guy (blanking on his name) is walking around free today when he started this whole mess.

The ONLY HARMFUL lie told in this sorted mess was told by Wilson.

Cheney never sent him to Niger as he claimed, his wife had a hand in it at CIA.

So is it smearing someone when you uncover THEIR lie?

Or are you saying Max999 that Wilson's lie was OK because it was an attempt to smear the VP but telling the truth about Wilson is a smear?

halls120

Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:51 am

What exactly did this affect?

Which he will most certainly get.

Pope

Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:07 am

Everybody, including every politician, lies.

But using the Clinton comparison in this case is not fair. So I say let's take a look at the reasons for lying.

Lie
2) Scooter Libby

Reason for Lying

You see...the reason why some people got upset over the Libby case is because of the level of maliciousness behind the lying.

And there you have it. The argument that lying to the judiciary is ok if you think you have a reason that justifies it.

Both men lied when they had an obligation under the law to tell the truth. Both men could have invoked their privilege against self-incrimination and said NOTHING. Both men felt that they were beyond the law.

davestanKSAN

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:03 am

Typical responses from some here. When your side gets convicted, don't adress the issue first, but point out things that the other side did. Didn't see that one coming.

Dave

Confuscius
Topic Author

Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:10 am

Confused

NewsCorpse.com?  bigthumbsup 

TedTAce

Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:48 am

Quoting DavestanKSAN (Reply 39):
Typical responses from some here. When your side gets convicted, don't adress the issue first, but point out things that the other side did. Didn't see that one coming.

checkmark 

Quoting Confuscius (Reply 40):

NewsCorpse.com? bigthumbsup

rotfl  rotfl  rotfl  rotfl  rotfl  rotfl  Yeah.

cfalk

Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:04 pm

Quoting Confuscius (Reply 40):

Nice way to show something out of context. The scroller changes every few seconds, you know.

BTW, what alternative would you recommend? CNN?

I have boycotted CNN since Saddam's hanging. During the leadup to the execution, I was flicking back and forth between CNN and FOX. On FOX, they had a serious discussion with a number of Middle East experts discussing what Saddam's death would mean in the Middle East, symbolically and realistically. Meanwhile, on CNN, Larry King was interviewing Saddam's lawyer who was ranting about what a good man Saddam was. Right before a commercial break Larry King said at one point "I agree with you, this is a travesty of justice".

I have not turned on CNN since. That sickened me.

Confuscius
Topic Author

Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:13 pm

Nice way to show something out of context. The scroller changes every few seconds, you know.

...or doctored. Look at the bottom, NewsCorpse??? 

BTW, what alternative would you recommend? CNN?

MSNBC   

It has Norah O'Donnell, The White Ho

[Edited 2007-03-07 06:16:45]

Blackbird

Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:21 pm

I doubt it means all that much....

Because of a simple fact. The President can pardon anybody-- of course he wouldn't do it now. There is a process where it has to undergo some kind of approval by Congress. Instead he would do it at the last minute where Congress wouldn't have the time or the ability to stop him. Any and every person convicted who works under Bush will likely be pardoned at the last possible minute before Bush steps out of office (if he somehow doesn't figure out how to stay in a third time or suspend the elections indefinitely)

Andrea Kent
BTW: Should I disappear, die mysteriously, "commit suicide", etc... you know who to blame... (in addion to being a very real possibility to any serious critic of government policy-- I'm also thinking of making this a quote)

Aaron747

Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:38 am

Stunningly dumb editorial from the Wall Street Journal (had to fight the urge to unsubscribe) on this matter:

The Libby Travesty
Word Count: 860

The word "guilty" had barely crossed the airwaves yesterday in the perjury case of Scooter Libby before critics were calling it proof that President Bush "lied us into war" and demanding that Dick Cheney be strung up next. Maybe now Mr. Bush will realize that this case was always a political fight over Iraq and do the right thing by pardoning Mr. Libby.

The conviction is certainly a travesty of justice, though that is not the jury's fault. The 11 men and women were faced with confusing evidence of conflicting memories in a case that never should have been brought.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB117323315491729062.html

Do the right thing? Since when is this phrase in the contemporary White House lexicon? Americans can't even remember the last time a Presidential administration made regular practice of it!

baroque

Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:48 pm

Lie
2) Scooter Libby

Reason for Lying

Thank heavens for that summary Max999. From reading this thread, I was beginning to think I had absolutely no idea what had happened when I have actually followed it quite closely.

It will be interesting to see which way this develops. The "happy pardon, you were dreadfully wronged" path or the one suggested in the SMH for 8 March 2007
http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/che...57.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1
"Cheney unlikely to escape Libby verdict fallout"
"THE conviction of the former senior White House official Lewis Libby on four charges of perjury and obstruction of justice has shaken the White House and left a political cloud hanging over the Vice-President, Dick Cheney.

The President, George Bush, and Mr Cheney issued statements saying they were "saddened" and "disappointed" respectively by the jury's decision. They refused to say more, citing the intention of Libby's legal team to ask for a retrial and, if that fails, to appeal against the verdict.

It is uncertain whether they will stick to this script as the political storm gathers and a Democrat-controlled Congress inevitably holds hearings into the case and Mr Cheney's role in it."

Maybe the view is cloudy from here, or maybe the local static allows a clearer view. Time will tell. Meanwhile thanks Max, I was really wondering what this was all about!  angel 

tsaord

Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:12 pm

Are they going to go after the real perpretrators also? Even though he lied I still think he is just the fall back guy. Other people were invovled. They know it so lots of balls should still be rolling.

baroque

Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:18 pm

Quoting Tsaord (Reply 47):
Are they going to go after the real perpretrators also? Even though he lied I still think he is just the fall back guy. Other people were invovled. They know it so lots of balls should still be rolling.

Reading that SMH article should make you happy. I must check on the tone of the US press. Missed the appropriate part of L Newshour. Still come Friday, it will be interesting to watch David Brooks try to explain it all away while Marcus S pulls a lemon face!

It appears as if the actual crime, that of releasing an agents name, is of interest to nobody at all. Amazing.

bill142

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:36 pm

Quoting Gunships (Reply 8):
Who says crime doesn't pay?

Just ask Frank Abagnale or Nick Leeson.