6..........................118 Osaka
7..........................118 Reykjavik
8..........................118 Zurich
9..........................116 Frankfurt
10........................116 Helsinki
---
26.........................101 Moscow
28.........................100 New York

The survey compares the cost of a basket of 160 goods and services in 132 countries.
The survey assigns New York a base index number of 100 and compares the prices of goods there to the prices in other cities.
Because New York is the base, the strengthening euro has made Paris, Frankfurt and Helsinki more expensive against dollar, while the weak Icelandic krona 'helped' Reykjavik.
The lowest priced city surveyed was Tehran.
Chinese cookie in SFO: "You're doomed to a life of forever travelling abroad and to be able to afford it!"

ThereandBack

RE: World Most Expensive Cities

Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:53 am

Can you post a link to this please?

andaman
Topic Author

Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:58 am

Chinese cookie in SFO: "You're doomed to a life of forever travelling abroad and to be able to afford it!"

nosedive

Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:23 am

Quoting Andaman (Thread starter):
26.........................101 Moscow

Dropped a lot in the past 2 yrs b/c of the rise of the Euro.

Braybuddy

Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:50 pm

Quoting Nosedive (Reply 3):
Dropped a lot in the past 2 yrs b/c of the rise of the Euro

It's interesting that of the four European capitals at the top of the list, three of them aren't in the eurozone.

oldeuropean

Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:36 pm

I doubt that they have made a proper research.

E.g. speaking for Germany: Munich is definitely more expensive than Frankfurt (and perhaps Hamburg also). Who knows how they created these figures.

Axel

[Edited 2007-03-09 10:37:48]

[Edited 2007-03-09 10:39:06]
Wer nichts weiss muss alles glauben

ME AVN FAN

Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:38 pm

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 4):

It's interesting that of the four European capitals at the top of the list, three of them aren't in the eurozone

and out of the 8 European cities, 5/five are NOT in the Eurozone !

Quoting Oldeuropean (Reply 5):
E.g. speaking for Germany: Munich is definitely more expensive than Frankfurt (and perhaps Hamburg also). Who knows how they created these figures

I suppose they only checked up Frankfurt. In Switzerland, Geneva is either more expensive than Zurich or closely behind (wine is cheaper in Geneva ! ) , and is missing from the list.
-

cedars747

Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:29 am

1..........................134 Oslo

No doubt about it !

The lowest priced city surveyed was Tehran

And what about Caracas  Wink

Alex!!!
Tengo una pasion por la aviacion /لدي شغف للطيران / I have a passion for aviation /Jeg har en lidenskap for luftfart/ J'ai une passion pour l'aviation.

[email protected]

Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:29 am

1..........................134 Oslo

Shocking...  Yeah sure

[email protected]
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

andaman
Topic Author

Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:39 am

Quoting [email protected] (Reply 8):

Shocking...

[email protected]

Helsinki used to be up there in top with Oslo once, before EU and Euro.

ME AVN FAN

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:37 am

Quoting Andaman (Reply 9):
Helsinki used to be up there in top with Oslo once, before EU and Euro.

sounds a bit as if those "analysts" did rather shoddy work ! their wages ought to be cut by 50% !

andaman
Topic Author

Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:22 pm

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 10):

sounds a bit as if those "analysts" did rather shoddy work ! their wages ought to be cut by 50% !

meaning what?  Confused

EWRCabincrew

Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:24 pm

OSL sure can be expensive, although I have found many places that are reasonable and cheap. That and I have to eat a lot to maintain my shape, so I am always on the lookout for places to eat. Reasonably so,
You can't cure stupid

cedars747

Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:06 pm

Quoting EWRCabincrew (Reply 12):
so I am always on the lookout for places to eat.

Than let me suggest Buenos Aires.Pasta,pizza,beef ....................ect.....and the best ever flan con crema and a lot more

Enjoy Buenos Aires,the Paris,Madrid and Rome of the Latin America

Alex!!!
Tengo una pasion por la aviacion /لدي شغف للطيران / I have a passion for aviation /Jeg har en lidenskap for luftfart/ J'ai une passion pour l'aviation.

sandrozrh

Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:53 pm

A few months ago i read a survey based on overall living costs and I remember that Tokyo came out first, followed by Zurich. I doubt that this survey is really representative.

Mind you, i dont enjoy living in an expensive city Big grin

edit: spelling

[Edited 2007-03-10 06:54:50]

EWRCabincrew

Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:57 pm

Quoting Cedars747 (Reply 13):
Than let me suggest Buenos Aires.Pasta,pizza,beef ....................ect.....and the best ever flan con crema and a lot more

I will take you up on that when I am there. Muchas gracias.
You can't cure stupid

ME AVN FAN

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:51 pm

Quoting Andaman (Reply 11):
-
meaning what? Confused

-
to say that the Euro had lifted prices up when in reality a majority of the European cities mentioned are NON-Euro cities, and when, as you stated, a Euro-City even dropped in prices while a NON-Euro city stayed in the top ranks
-

this map shows that Oslo, Copenhagen, London, Reykjavik, Zurich are NOT in the Euro-zone which means 5/five out of 8 European cities mentioned. To say therefore that the Euro had a price-inflating influence is NOT a sign of good research but of shoddy work.
-

cjh2007

Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:11 pm

12th place would be Vienna
Is it the kerosene, or is it just me...

andaman
Topic Author

Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:55 am

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 16):

To say therefore that the Euro had a price-inflating influence is NOT a sign of good research but of shoddy work.
-

This is made from the American point of view. At the moment the strong euro makes the euro cities more expensive for Americans, the euro cities are ranked higher now than during a weaker euro. The exhange rates have a role here, but of course those non euro cities mentioned still remain very expensive, for all tourists.

ME AVN FAN

Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:11 am

Quoting Andaman (Reply 18):
At the moment the strong euro makes the euro cities more expensive for Americans, the euro cities are ranked higher now than during a weaker euro. The exhange rates have a role here, but of course those non euro cities mentioned still remain very expensive, for all tourists.

-
it proves that it is NOT the strong Euro but a fairly strong Europe as a whole. So that to put it onto that currency simply IS wrong and is a shoddy analysis. It does NOT matter whether US-Americans, Chinese, Japanese or Brazilians made it. Wrong is wrong. I would FIRE such analysts !  down  no excuse !  down 
-

Avianca

Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:03 am

Quoting Cedars747 (Reply 7):
And what about Caracas

shows that you have no clue about Caracas and Venezuela.... specially Caracas is very very expensive, you have here prices like in europe ...
Colombia es el Mundo Y el Mundo es Colombia

cedars747

Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:09 am

Quoting Avianca (Reply 20):
shows that you have no clue about Caracas and Venezuela.... specially Caracas is very very expensive, you have here prices like in europe ...

I see.Anyway I imagine that it would depend on the area,same as Buenos Aires

Alex!!!

A320ajm

Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:17 am

I am surprised that Monte Carlo is not in the top 10  confused 
If the British Empire and its Commonwealth last for a thousand years, men will still say, 'This was their finest hour.'

andaman
Topic Author

Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:21 am

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 19):

-
it proves that it is NOT the strong Euro but a fairly strong Europe as a whole. So that to put it onto that currency simply IS wrong and is a shoddy analysis. It does NOT matter whether US-Americans, Chinese, Japanese or Brazilians made it. Wrong is wrong. I would FIRE such analysts ! no excuse !
-

Did you ever read the linked article?  Smile The survey comperes selected cities to New York, using a basket of 160 goods and services, US dollar against european currencies.
Exchange rates are only one factor here, and not usually change the picture much but of course they matter something. Reykjavik seems cheaper here now, because the krona is weaker against dollar than it used to be. I don't know how krona is against euro, propably a bit cheaper for me as well at the moment. But for sure Reykjavik remains among the most expensive cities in Europe.
Of course the survey gives rather limited view, no doubt about that. But I am sure The Economist guys know what they are doing...

Perhaps some one else could explain better, I think ME AVN FAN and I are not talking about exactly the same thing here  Wink

Avianca

Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:45 am

Quoting Cedars747 (Reply 21):
I see.Anyway I imagine that it would depend on the area,same as Buenos Aires

Alex, well I have to say it is in the most parts of the city expensive....

a cheap lunch (in a cheaper place) for example costs you at least 12.000 VEB what are 5,50 USD. Or yesterday I paid for a BurgerKing como (ok it was a double-whopper with cheese and bacon and king sice) 10 USD...

when I was in Buenos Aires last year, I have to say I found it even on the expensiver places cheap...

BTW, I can imagine that you are happy as Chavez is visiting Buenos Aires currently...

cedars747

Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:42 am

Quoting Avianca (Reply 24):
BTW, I can imagine that you are happy as Chavez is visiting Buenos Aires currently...

Si Avianca  Wink

A burgerking 10 $ es una barbaridad ! And why is it so expensive ?

Alex!!!

Avianca

Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:20 pm

Quoting Cedars747 (Reply 25):
Si Avianca

I really hope you enjoy it! hopefully he will stay forever l down there and dit not come back to Venezuela....  Wink

Quoting Cedars747 (Reply 25):
A burgerking 10 $ es una barbaridad ! And why is it so expensive ?

well I think it has several points why it is so expensive....

1. we have a control on change money (USD), so you need a permission to export every poop you need here what is not produced in Venezuela, and there is a lot as Venezuela was always a totally import country....

2. for many thinks you need to import you dint get the green light to import using the official exchange rate... finally having the result using the black-market were you pay at least the double... with the final result to pay the same prices like in the "first world"

cheers

JAL777

Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:30 pm

Quoting Avianca (Reply 24):
BurgerKing como (ok it was a double-whopper with cheese and bacon and king sice)

yuck   crazy 

Avianca

Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:39 pm

Quoting JAL777 (Reply 27):

the combo was really great ....  Wink

cedars747

Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:01 pm

Quoting Avianca (Reply 26):
I really hope you enjoy it! hopefully he will stay forever l down there and dit not come back to Venezuela....

Ojala ! Argentina is tired from Ladrones like Alfonsin,Menem and company

Quoting Avianca (Reply 26):
well I think it has several points why it is so expensive....

1. we have a control on change money (USD), so you need a permission to export every poop you need here what is not produced in Venezuela, and there is a lot as Venezuela was always a totally import country....

2. for many thinks you need to import you dint get the green light to import using the official exchange rate... finally having the result using the black-market were you pay at least the double... with the final result to pay the same prices like in the "first world"

Take it easy Avianca ! things will be just fine .For some reason Chavez is in power  Wink

Alex!!!

Avianca

Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:20 pm

Quoting Cedars747 (Reply 29):
Take it easy Avianca ! things will be just fine .For some reason Chavez is in power

what can I say ....  Confused yes it should have a reason why he is in power.....

cedars747

Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:11 pm

Quoting Avianca (Reply 30):
what can I say .... yes it should have a reason why he is in power.....

Anyways,nothing will change the fact that Venezuela is a wonderfull countrie with CHERVERE people and deserve the best  Wink
By the way ,pronto you will be able to replace your Burger king with a delicious Kabab sandwich a la Iran way  Wink

Alex!!!

Avianca

Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:15 pm

Quoting Cedars747 (Reply 31):
Anyways,nothing will change the fact that Venezuela is a wonderfull countrie with CHERVERE people and deserve the best

yes it deserve the best... so a change is needed  Wink

Quoting Cedars747 (Reply 31):
By the way ,pronto you will be able to replace your Burger king with a delicious Kabab sandwich a la Iran way

well Shawarma, humus...etc are already avialable.... and really delicious... btw  Smile

cedars747

Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:27 pm

Quoting Avianca (Reply 32):
yes it deserve the best... so a change is needed

It's very obvious to think like that about Chavez dear Avianca "Nadie es profeta en su tierra"

Quoting Avianca (Reply 32):
well Shawarma, humus...etc are already avialable.... and really delicious... btw

Shawarma ,humus is delicious specially when you are enjoying an Odaliscas show  Wink

Alex!!!

ME AVN FAN

Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:20 pm

Quoting Andaman (Reply 23):
read the linked article?

Yes I did.
-
quote ::
the strengthening euro played a big role in this year's rankings, according to Jon Copestake, the survey's editor. The euro has gained nearly 10 percent versus the dollar during the past year. Last winter, a euro traded for about $1.20. Today the exchange rate is more than $1.30.
--
"But prices in Europe are also rising whereas those in Japan have been almost static," added Copestake.
unquote
-
the main part above is what I criticized, the second part can be used in his defence, at least to some extent
-
-----------------------
-

saxdiva

Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:24 pm

I wonder if they included any Hawaiian cities in the survey. Prices there are downright shocking.
See terms for details....

QANTAS077

Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:25 am

little known fact is that a city called Perth in Western Australia is now the most expensive city to live & do business in in Australia, the first home buyer won't get much change out of $500K, the average wage is around $35K, pound for pound it's actually more expensive than New York.

it's estimated that the first home buyer needs to have an annual income well over $150K to afford the mortgage re-payments of a median priced house.

AOMlover

Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:33 am

I have been quite surprised at how cheap my one-week trip to New York has been last February ! Of course I guess it's very different if you live there, but I paid only 17$/night for a 12 beds dormitory at a hostel in the upper west side, plus the one week illimited metrocard seemed like a real bargain compared to Paris. Same thing for the New York Pass, a true bargain ! And then it was easy to find good restaurants for an affordable price. Here on the côte d'azur restaurants are wayyy to overpriced (10€ for a salad...), as well as taxis and many other things.

Well I'm not trying to say that NY is a "cheap" city, surely not. But it's just than I spent less than I expected. I also know perfectly that right now the exchange rates are quite good for us European tourists.

KLM685

Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:11 pm

Does anyone know where I can find the rest of the list? As I've only found the top 10 only...

Thanks!
KLM- The Best Airline in the World!

StuckInCA

Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:59 pm

It is important to note that this only takes into account the purchase of items. It does NOT account for housing cost, which would pretty seriously change things.

ME AVN FAN

Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:51 pm

Quoting StuckInCA (Reply 39):
It is important to note that this only takes into account the purchase of items. It does NOT account for housing cost, which would pretty seriously change things.

change things ? like catapulting Zurich onto the top position on that list  scratchchin   shhh 

QANTAS077

Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:00 pm

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 40):
like catapulting Zurich onto the top position on that list

whats the average wage of a worker in Zurich?

ME AVN FAN

Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:40 pm

Quoting QANTAS077 (Reply 41):
like catapulting Zurich onto the top position on that list
--
whats the average wage of a worker in Zurich?

in reality NOT much higher than in Munich or Frankfurt. The NET-NET-income of employees in Zurich is lower than in Luxembourg, as the costs there are very much lower. Quite many people in the Zurich area have wages of 3000-5000 CHF = 2000-3500 Euro, but a cheap apartment costs CHF 800-1400 (one bedroom, one living-room, one combined toilet/bathroom and one kitchen) .
-
the Gross-Economic-Product per capita of Switzerland is inflated by many rich people from other countries having residence in Switzerland, for some or the other reasons
-

disruptivehair

Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:47 pm

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 42):
Quite many people in the Zurich area have wages of 3000-5000 CHF = 2000-3500 Euro

Is that per month or per year?

QANTAS077

Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:03 pm

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 42):
Quite many people in the Zurich area have wages of 3000-5000 CHF = 2000-3500 Euro, but a cheap apartment costs CHF 800-1400 (one bedroom, one living-room, one combined toilet/bathroom and one kitchen)

ok...lets say 4000chf per month...that's around $4200 Australian, the average Australian makes around $2300 per month or 2200CHF. the apartment works out much more affordable than say in a city like Perth..the average apartment price in Perth now is around $350AUS per week, $1400 per month, plus you must add utilities & other expenses in to the equation.

in Perth right now the rental market is at 98% capacity, people can't find reasonable priced places to rent because there are none left...We actually rate as high as New York when it comes to housing affordability based on the average wages earners income.

ME AVN FAN

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:06 pm

Quoting Disruptivehair (Reply 43):
Quite many people in the Zurich area have wages of 3000-5000 CHF = 2000-3500 Euro
--
Is that per month or per year?

-
-
per month ! if per year, how should people pay CHF 700 to CHF 2500 per month for the apartment ?

Quoting QANTAS077 (Reply 44):
people can't find reasonable priced places to rent because there are none left...We actually rate as high as New York

that is incredible !
-
back to Zurich. The prices you pay for food in Switzerland are at least 1,3 of the highest E.U. standard, so that Swiss people in the border region go to Germany to do shopping
-

StuckInCA

Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:33 am

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 40):
change things ? like catapulting Zurich onto the top position on that list

I wasn't really implying that I knew exactly how it would change things, but I read a newspaper article which did, I believe state something about how cities in California would be much further up the list if housing costs were included. However, I wasn't really trying to get into a pissing match about it. I think it's sad to be high on this list. Anyway, I seriously considered a relocation from where I used to live in California to Switzerland and the cost of living looked to be pretty comparable for me. While goods are more expensive in CH, renting and purchasing a home (though I would not have been allowed to do this in the near term... I think) were absolutely cheaper than my area of California.

ozglobal

Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:47 am

What a load of bollocks!! The 'Mercer Table' and others are much more indiciative of the standard of living / cost of living. This seems like nothing much more than a currency exchange rate table!
When all's said and done, there'll be more said than done.

raffik

Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:05 pm

Copenhagen! I paid about £15 for then crappest Blue Nunn equivalent!

New York isn't too expensive- accomodation is pricey however.
- Alec

disruptivehair

Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:18 pm

Geez, Dallas is so cheap. Can't wait to get back there!  bigthumbsup