AirTranTUS

RE: Useless Trivia

Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:26 pm

Quoting Vikkyvik (Reply 42):
The digits of any product of 9 and another number will add up to a product of 9.

e.g. 9 * 8 = 72; 7 + 2 = 9

Let's say you want to find 9*8. Hold your hands in front of you, and count off fingers starting at the left side until you get to 8. Put the eigth finger down, and you are left with 7 fingers and 2 fingers, 72. It obviously won't work after 9*10.

Quoting Texan (Reply 94):
Figured that out one day during Junior year of college in Intro to Business Statistics.

I figured it out in 7th grade.  Wink A friend had to identify a sequence of numbers and I noticed that trend.

Quoting Eaglekeeper101 (Reply 98):
Las Vegas is further west than Los Angeles...

According too...? Are you getting into the difference between magnetic and true North?

Tucson was once the state capital of Arizona (as was Prescott).

In February 1992, DL and AS flew nonstop on TUS-LAX, CO and UA flew nonstop to DEN, and AA had a red-eye to DFW that left TUS at 2AM and arrived at 5AM. (Found a Flight Guide from Feb. 1992 in the U of A library with a study done in the mid-80's about airports in the Tucson area. They were both very interesting.)
I love ASO!

disruptivehair

Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:53 pm

If Manhattan had the same population density as Alaska, only 20 people would live there.

disruptivehair

Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:03 pm

Quoting SW733 (Reply 21):
"60% of the time it works, all the time"

But it smells like a used diaper full of Indian food.

Quoting Texan (Reply 97):
Dallas, Texas, and the DFW Metroplex as a whole, has the highest per capita number of shopping malls in a city and metropolitan area in the United States.

Dallas has more restaurants per capita than New York City.

There are 19 billionaires living in either Dallas or Fort Worth. This ties DFW with London for the 4th highest number of billionaires in a city in the world. The only cities with more are Moscow (20), LA (35-40ish including the suburbs), and New York City (45).

Texan

AWESOME! That explains why Dallasites go shopping and go out to eat for fun. I can say that...I was born and raised in Dallas so I get to say that. We're moving back there real soon and I can't wait. Shopping in Dallas kicks serious a$$.

Fiatstilojtd

Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:12 pm

In Relation: The more Kirkie drinks before posting the higher is the possibility for him to get banned.  Wink

BA380

Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:34 pm

Quoting Eaglekeeper101 (Reply 98):
Las Vegas is further west than Los Angeles...

am I missing something here? surely not?
cabin crew: doors to automatic and cross-check...

disruptivehair

Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:53 pm

Quoting BA380 (Reply 104):
am I missing something here? surely not?

No, because it's not true:

sprout5199

Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:01 pm

Quoting Iamcanadian (Reply 95):
A bullet shot from a gun will generate aerodynamic lift, as well as travelling over the curvature of the earth, thereby increasing the time spent in the air. The dropped bullet will not generate lift, and will be stationary with respect to the x-direction of the earth's surface, so the curvature of the earth does not come into play.

Not if shot in a vaccum, on a flat plane to counteract the earth's curvature.  box 

Dan in Jupiter

iamcanadian

Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:12 pm

Quoting Sprout5199 (Reply 106):
Not if shot in a vaccum, on a flat plane to counteract the earth's curvature.

And since when did the earth meet these conditions?  Wink
Shut up and calculate.

sprout5199

Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:50 pm

When someone called me to the carpet about the 2 picosecond difference in the real world vs theoretical world.  banghead 

You are just no fun on a monday morning before I even finished my first cup of  coffee  .

Dan in Jupiter

jamesbaldwyn

Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:38 am

Its proven that an employer will make there mind up about you within the first 5 seconds of meeting you.

Its up to you to keep it up or to grovel for the job

:D

Rubber Bands last longer when refrigerated

vikkyvik

Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:08 am

Quoting Iamcanadian (Reply 95):
This "fun fact" is actually false.

A bullet shot from a gun will generate aerodynamic lift, as well as travelling over the curvature of the earth, thereby increasing the time spent in the air. The dropped bullet will not generate lift, and will be stationary with respect to the x-direction of the earth's surface, so the curvature of the earth does not come into play.

Well, to be completely accurate, your bullet probably has a better chance of hitting a tree, hill, or random mound of dirt than it does falling to the earth.

Even if the earth were a perfectly smooth sphere, the bullet wouldn't travel anywhere near far enough to make a noticeable difference in the time.

As for lift, if you shot the bullet straight, I don't know why it would generate a net lift upwards, since bullets are cylindrically symmetrical (far as I know).
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

eaglekeeper101

Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:18 am

Quoting Emirates029 (Reply 99):

Quoting AirTranTUS (Reply 100):

Quoting BA380 (Reply 104):

Quoting Disruptivehair (Reply 105):

Hmpf!

I knew I should have checked my Google Earth first before regurgitating an old (and obviously incorrect) trivia piece I remember reading about years and years ago. My bad! Obviously, I can't find proper source material for something that isn't true, either.  ashamed 

(returns to hiding place  footinmouth  )
"The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens." - Bahá'u'lláh

GAIsweetGAI
Topic Author

Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:03 am

About the bullet story- there is a point (altitude) where the bullet that is fired will not hit the earth, but will become a satellite. (I'm too lazy to calculate that altitude right now.) And the dropped bullet should fall back down and burn during reentry.
So actually, yeah, they both hit the ground at the same time: never.

[Edited 2007-03-27 02:04:23]
"There is an art, or rather a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

sprout5199

Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:55 pm

Quoting GAIsweetGAI (Reply 112):
So actually, yeah, they both hit the ground at the same time: never.

Thats the same time 95% of A-netters will get laid.

Dan in Jupiter

iamcanadian

Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:48 am

Quoting Vikkyvik (Reply 110):
the bullet wouldn't travel anywhere near far enough to make a noticeable difference in the time.

2.6 milliseconds to be exact (with a 2700 fps muzzle velocity shot from a height of 2 meters). This is about a 4% difference in hangtime, with the dropped bullet's hangtime of ~0.63 seconds.

Quoting Vikkyvik (Reply 110):
As for lift, if you shot the bullet straight, I don't know why it would generate a net lift upwards, since bullets are cylindrically symmetrical (far as I know).

Okay, I suppose that would make sense... I was thinking that it would have lift due to the angle of attack, but since we're assuming that it's shot perfectly straight, there would be no lift.  smile 
Shut up and calculate.

GAIsweetGAI
Topic Author

Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:22 am

2900441 is the 215549th (give or take a few) prime number.

spin 
"There is an art, or rather a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

texan

Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:41 am

Did you know...

the song "Cowboy Take Me Away" was written for Emily Robison (the pretty fiddle player) for when she became engaged?
the original title of the song was, "Loser, Don't Marry My Sister" as a joke about husband Charlie Robison?

Texan
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

Cadet57

Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:46 am

Fun fact:

My town holds the record for the worlds largest Kielbasa. Chicopee, Mass.
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

vikkyvik

Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:39 am

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 117):

My town holds the record for the worlds largest Kielbasa. Chicopee, Mass.

Serious sausage fest out there, huh?

Ugh, sorry.

Quoting Iamcanadian (Reply 114):
2.6 milliseconds to be exact (with a 2700 fps muzzle velocity shot from a height of 2 meters). This is about a 4% difference in hangtime, with the dropped bullet's hangtime of ~0.63 seconds.

Interesting. I didn't think it'd be nearly as large a difference. How much of a height difference is there? The bullet is traveling about 1700 feet.....I don't have my scientific calculator at home  Smile

~Vik
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

Cadet57

Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:41 am

Quoting Vikkyvik (Reply 118):
Serious sausage fest out there, huh?Ugh, sorry.

I was waiting for the W.Mass joke. And the sausage fest is only in Northampton.
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

iamcanadian

Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:12 am

Quoting Vikkyvik (Reply 118):
How much of a height difference is there?

Well, if I did my math correctly, it's 2.17 cm or 0.854 inches in height difference. I was mainly surprised by the miniscule amount of time actually spent in the air in general. Intuitively, you wouldn't think that the maximum amount of time spent in the air by a projectile shot at 2 meters would be a fraction of a second. Just goes to show how fast a bullet actually travels, and the muzzle velocity required for a sniper rifle shooting at those great distances!
Shut up and calculate.