Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

RJdxer

RE: Fred Thompson.. A Conservative I Can Vote For?

Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:57 am

Quoting LogansGirl (Reply 97):
Quoting UALPHLCS (Reply 18):
Anyway in France you have to have a civil ceremony and you can also have a religious ceremony on top of that. If a couple want to have the legal rights of marriage they go for the Civil Union Homo or Hetero alike, but only Hetero couples can go on and have the religious certificate as well.

Not anymore they don't...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070314/ap_on_re_eu/france_gay_marriage_1

What's even more disturbing, if you live in France...

"The couple said after the 2005 appeals court ruling that they would take their case to the European Court of Human Rights if necessary."

So if you live in France, you evidently no longer have national soverignty.

fxramper

Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:01 am

Quoting LogansGirl (Reply 99):

John it's against Anet policy to have more than one active account.

I suggest you delete this account.

Immediately.

TedTAce
Topic Author

Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:52 pm

Quoting LogansGirl (Reply 99):
The Rights of the individual States is why we fought the "War of Northern Aggression"(a.k.a.the Civil War). I am a Confederalist. I believe the rights of the people who are closest to their elected representatives should supercede said representative's opinions. As well as the Country in general's opinions.

I guess you didn't get the memo that it's the 21st century and... you lost. While I agree with your first post that the marriages should be seperate (church and state), I'm sorry you believe that states right superceede federal rights.

Quoting FXramper (Reply 101):
John it's against Anet policy to have more than one active account.

rotfl   scratchchin 

UALPHLCS

Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:31 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 98):
Legally however, I believe the Constitution of the United States takes precedence over the constitutions of the various states.

The US Constitution is the Supreme law of the land. But remember it is extremely limited by the 10th Amendment in the Bill of Rights: "The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

The has been the most flouted part of the Constitution, especially by the Warren Court.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 96):
Quoting CastleIsland (Reply 8):
Opposes gay marriage, but would let states decide whether to allow civil unions. "Marriage is between a man and a woman, and I don't believe judges ought to come along and change that."

I guess Constitutions don't matter either then.

What does that even mean N1220A?

As for what's going on in France that's for the French to decide. I merely used their system as an example of two things: first how the Legal and Civil aspects of a marriage are separated from the Religious and Customary aspects. And secondly as an example of a fair solution to the debate we have in the US. Every couple can get a Civil Union and Heterosexual couples can continue on and get a Marriage. But this compromise is rejected by the gay lobby as somehow unfair.

Let me ask the liberals in the forum, now that France has rejected gay civil unions is this the foreign law we should look to, as Souter (or was it Kennedy) said we ought to? See the problem we have with looking to foreign law is that you could probably find a precedent somewhere in the world to support ANY decision, and just as many to contradict it.

TedTAce
Topic Author

Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:51 pm

Quoting UALPHLCS (Reply 103):
See the problem we have with looking to foreign law is that you could probably find a precedent somewhere in the world to support ANY decision, and just as many to contradict it.

My whole problem with this is it's use as an excuse to not make a sound judgment based on one's experience. Last time I checked being a judge wasn't just reading the precidents and deciding which were applicable, but also being free thinking in making a RATIONAL decision on a subject that has no precident.

UALPHLCS

Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:06 pm

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 104):

That's not what Souter said. And in the context of his comments it was case overturning a lot of US precedent.

TedTAce
Topic Author

Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:31 pm

Quoting UALPHLCS (Reply 105):
That's not what Souter said.

And I care about what he said why?

UALPHLCS

Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:47 pm

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 106):

Uhm....Because he is a Justice on the Supreme Court, saying that he does use Foreign law to make decisions concerning US law. That's pretty significant.

TedTAce
Topic Author

Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:57 pm

Quoting UALPHLCS (Reply 107):
That's pretty significant.

I guess you mis intrepreted what I meant by my re-action:

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 104):
but also being free thinking in making a RATIONAL decision on a subject that has no precident.

I should have stated no precident in our system.

My whole point being that given the lack of US law he should have pulled his head out of his ass and used that grey crap between his ears he's passing off as brain cells.

UALPHLCS

Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:01 pm

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 108):

Duly Noted.

Pope

Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:02 pm

Quoting N229NW (Reply 92):
Well, You've strongly implied it, because you have basically claimed that any other answer to the question is untenable and that it is a "simple" question. So, if I misunderstood you, why don't you explain yourself. Let's turn this around:

I've made it quite clear that I believe that life begins before birth. On a purely personal level I believe that the argument can be made that drawing that line at conception is as good as any other designation. However, if I were advocating a legal/Constitutional position I recognize the problems that exist in using that definition. I would think that anytime after a heartbeat and brainwaves you've got the medical definition of life that has been used for other legal purposes. I have yet to hear any compelling argument why life as defined for other legal purposes shouldn't apply in this context.

Even establishing that life exists at any point does not necessarily result in an absolute ban on abortion. Under the 5th and 14th amendments, a person can be deprived of life, liberty or property, but that deprivation must satisfy due process and equal protectiion requirements.

Quoting Mir (Reply 98):
Legally however, I believe the Constitution of the United States takes precedence over the constitutions of the various states.

This is true to the extent that they state and federal constitutions conflict. However, a state can afford greater protections to its citizens than afforded by the federal constitution.

Superfly

Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:12 pm

TedTAce:
I still think Ron Paul is your candidate.

TedTAce
Topic Author

Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:45 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 111):
Ron Paul

Doing research on him:
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c110:H.R.300: (a bill he sponsored)

Quote:
SEC. 3. LIMITATION ON JURISDICTION.

The Supreme Court of the United States and each Federal court--

(1) shall not adjudicate--

(A) any claim involving the laws, regulations, or policies of any State or unit of local government relating to the free exercise or establishment of religion;

(B) any claim based upon the right of privacy, including any such claim related to any issue of sexual practices, orientation, or reproduction; or

(C) any claim based upon equal protection of the laws to the extent such claim is based upon the right to marry without regard to sex or sexual orientation; and

(2) shall not rely on any judicial decision involving any issue referred to in paragraph (1).

I'm not sure I like this

His website is deviod of a list of his agenda, much less anything related to cleaning up washington. I like that some of of his other proposed bills seem somewhat sensible, but until I see something of him promising to flush out the crap in DC I'm not going to be impressed.

Superfly

Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:03 am

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 112):
much less anything related to cleaning up washington

You can't clean up Washington.  no 

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 112):
but until I see something of him promising to flush out the crap in DC I'm not going to be impressed.

Yet you're impressed with Fred Thompson?  confused 
He served in Washington as a Senator for 8 years and couldn't change a damn thing.

fxramper

Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:06 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 113):
He served in Washington as a Senator for 8 years and couldn't change a damn thing.

He was good in The Hunt for the Red October.  duck 

TedTAce
Topic Author

Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:28 am

Yet you're impressed with Fred Thompson?

Believe it or not I still haven't researched him. I honestly know more about Ron Paul then Thompson now. I wanted to see other's reaction to him before I got into it.

Well, I don't believe it's encumbent on any individual lawmaker to affect this kind of change.

What I do believe is that someone with a strong personality and some trust from the public could positively manipulate the public to force/guilt trip their congressmen to pass the necessary reforms.

The key is someone with a lot of personality/BALLS. Given his character work I thought Thompson MIGHT by that kind of person who could look into a camera, point out what congress has done wrong (PAC Trips. ETC.) , what people need to tell their congress people to do to prevent it, and have the American public react and in turn get congress to pass some meaningful reforms that will eliminate PACs and corruption.

This is doable. You just need to sell it well enough that the American people will follow through.

AirCop

Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:52 am

Quoting Zippyjet (Reply 86):
At least on presence, and speach, Thompson has what it takes. He's command more respect than the current POTUS.

He does have a commanding television presence that puts every other politician look bad by comparison. While he served as minority counsel to the Senate Watergate committee, when he attempted to investigate the some of the foreign money in the Clinton/Gore camp, it attached zero press attention. On the issues, he might be on the wrong side, especially the Iraq war..

RJdxer

Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:09 am

Lets face it, the Paul Harvey gig he's doing now is probably a lot more enjoyable to him than running around the country trying to get elected to an office he may not really want. I used to think that when Paul Harvey passed on that no one could replace him, I was wrong. Fred Thompson could pull it off.

zippyjet

Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:16 pm

Quoting DL021 (Reply 88):
Would you feel the same way about Obama, since he's a Muslim?

Not a Muslim.

Quoting DL021 (Reply 88):
I hope you have your Nomex pants on.....

What are Nomex pants?

Quoting AirCop (Reply 116):
He does have a commanding television presence that puts every other politician look bad by comparison.

With our dumbed down society today, sadly it's image and popularity over the issues.

Back in the 70s had Elvis not gotten hooked on drugs and his downard spiral, the King would have been electable.

President Pres!

And, for anyone from Ma especially if you too are a fellow minority; please share your thoughts and feelings on Mitt Romney's politics, and effectiveness on the job. What impact did his Morman ethnicity have on his governing of Ma?

RJdxer

Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:10 pm

Quoting Zippyjet (Reply 118):
With our dumbed down society today, sadly it's image and popularity over the issues.

Then Al Gore and/or John Kerry should be President since everyone knows President Bush can't put to multi-sylable words together in one coherent sentence.

zippyjet

Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:53 pm

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 119):
Then Al Gore and/or John Kerry should be President since everyone knows President Bush can't put to multi-sylable words together in one coherent sentence

So folks a little spin from the right and Swift Boat mud slinging and much of America bought it hook line and sinker. And, had that failed all those little election place malfunctions would have sealed the deal of W in the White House, as was the case in that farce of an election 2000/Florida. Remember hanging Chads?

bezoar

Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:05 am

Article out claims Fred Thompson has lymphoma. Many of these are readily treatable.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/04/11/thompson.cancer/index.html