Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Jetsgo
Topic Author

Warning. Acting Like A Two Year Old With IE

Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:03 am

Microsoft Internet Explorer is the biggest piece of shit ever.

End small rant somewhat...

I am sitting here at school, using IE against my will, to do some homework. Three times now in the past 34 minutes it has given me this bullshit message saying it has encoutered a problem and needs to close. Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot. Why would someone design such a program where rather than self diagnose and solve the problem, just close out on the user and leave no explanation. Not to mention the fact that this very computer has done the same homework for me for the past several weeks. Why does this make me furious though? Because this computer is currently my only option, the program I am using only runs on IE, and the work is completely lost. All for some bullshit "problem" which forces it to close.

banghead   banghead   banghead 

Ok, I am somewhat done. Sorry/thanks.
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

RichardPrice

RE: Warning. Acting Like A Two Year Old With IE

Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:10 am

Quoting JetsGo (Thread starter):
Why would someone design such a program where rather than self diagnose and solve the problem, just close out on the user and leave no explanation.

Because a memory error, which is what invariably causes an uncommanded program close, is very hard to 1. diagnose (other than a sig11 happened) and 2. recover from in a safe state. By the time the sig11 has happened, the system doesnt know what should actually be happening, so rather than cause potential damage it forces a close with a sig11 error.

Thats why stuff shuts when it does.

The IE installation probably has spyware attached which is causing the errors.

N776AU

Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:13 am

Mine did that too. I was finally fed up with it and switched to Firefox.
Careful, doors are closing, and will not reopen. Please wait for the next train.

TedTAce

Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:26 am

Sounds like a lack of will to properly troubleshoot to me.
This space intentionally left blank

LTU932

Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:41 am

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 3):

checkmark 

You know, I don't know why people switch to Firefox, just because of this IE error, or the other, but my guess is that people perhaps don't even know how to run that programme properly or just think the worst because its a programme from Microshaft. I've been using IE ever since I got Windows 98 Second Edition, and I have never encountered any serious problems with it (at least no problems I couldn't resolve). Now I'm running IE7 and still, no serious problem (or perhaps I know what to expect).

Believe me people, if you're going to come to someone who has a problem with IE and tell them to switch to Firefox, please realise that Firefox isn't the answer to all internet evil. Switching from one browser to the other, just because the one you previously used is flawed, means that you're avoiding the problem, instead of trying to face it and solve it in some way. You can't solve a problem if you're not willing to troubleshoot it. Even Firefox has problems and flaws, but people only know the flaws of MS programmes because it's MS, the same company that pretty much forced a monopoly on operating systems for IBM based computers. Firefox isn't safer IMO, it's just that whatever security flaws may be in it, haven't been exploited the way they were exploited on Microsoft products. As far as I'm concerned, I tried Firefox and was unhappy with it, so I still stick with IE.

To the thread starter, if you got problems with IE constantly shutting down because of an error, I strongly suggest that instead of whining, you contact your school's IT department, so they can take a look at it.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

LHStarAlliance

Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:02 am

Quoting N776AU (Reply 2):
I was finally fed up with it and switched to Firefox.

Well I also switched to Firefoy , but now I´ve worse problems than with IE , always I want to play a video youtube for example , a warning comes saying : "Shockwave has a problem , firefox has to be closed " ( something lika that in German) .

Now I can´t swith back to IE because of all my "favorites" , copying all to IE would last days ...

So I´ve frirefox , but all 2 min.it comes this warning
 mad   thumbsdown   banghead 
Boycott The Olympic Games In Beijing !

N776AU

Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:19 am

Interesting. I've had very few problems with it since downloading quite a while ago.
Careful, doors are closing, and will not reopen. Please wait for the next train.

itsjustme

Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:32 am

Not only do I believe Firefox is a safer browser but, because it's open source, it's a helluva lot more programmable than IE. Since switching to Firefox about 3 years ago and installing the ad-block extension, the days of seeing any ads (banner, pop up, pop down, pop over, pop across, etc...) are gone. You know how when reading an article on line sometimes the text will be separated by a rather obnoxious ad of some type that is usually 2 inches square? Not with Firefox. All you see is a small line of text, about the size of an 8 font, that reads "advertisement here". It's barely noticeable. Also, as I have mentioned in other 'IE vs Firefox' threads, everyone using and loving the new tabbed IE7 has Firefox to thank.

aloges

Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:50 am

Quoting JetsGo (Thread starter):
All for some bullshit "problem" which forces it to close.

With all the nonsense a school computer is sent through by its users (the "Hey, watch this!" kind of thing), it's not unlikely that someone downloaded malware or similar and got the computer infected. Of course, most malware targets IE and its loopholes, so that's the problem right there...

Anyhow, you could try asking the school to install Opera. I would guess few people know what Opera is, particularly few of those who cause trouble out of ignorance, so its very limited popularity compared to IE and FF could work for you in this case.

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 4):
Switching from one browser to the other, just because the one you previously used is flawed, means that you're avoiding the problem, instead of trying to face it and solve it in some way.

Pardon, but IE problems really aren't important issues that need to be taken proper care of lest they come back at you. In other words, IE is extremely unlikely to come back and bite you in the butt if you run away from it like e.g. a tax form can.

Quoting LHStarAlliance (Reply 5):
Now I can´t swith back to IE because of all my "favorites" , copying all to IE would last days ...

You can export your FF bookmarks, re-install Firefox and then import them again. If that doesn't solve it, go to http://www.adobe.com/ and download a clean install of Flash and/or Shockwave player. Naturally, all of this is assuming that you know how to take good care of your software.

[Edited 2007-03-12 22:58:30]
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

FlyKev

Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:02 am

School ey?
Do what I do. Get a U3 smart pen drive.
These pen drives are not only the same sort of price as normal pen drives, but they allow for the install of small applications built on the U3 platform. One of the programs is Firefox.
There's no install on the machine you use it on, and it will not leave a trace. Safe, reliable, useful.
http://www.u3.com/

Hope this was useful for you.

Kev.
The white zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only

LTU932

Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:05 am

Well I also switched to Firefoy , but now I´ve worse problems than with IE , always I want to play a video youtube for example , a warning comes saying : "Shockwave has a problem , firefox has to be closed " ( something lika that in German) .

Proof enough that Firefox isn't the solution of all problems.

Quoting Aloges (Reply 8):
Pardon, but IE problems really aren't important issues that need to be taken proper care of lest they come back at you. In other words, IE is extremely unlikely to come back and bite you in the butt if you run away from it like e.g. a tax form can.

Nevertheless, whining about it and just getting people to tell you to switch doesn't solve anything. For all I know, this very problem could (emphasis on could) have also happen with Firefox if for example the installation was faulty.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

carmenlu15

Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:22 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 10):

Of course it isn't, it's a well-known fact that money is the solution of all problems! Big grin

I agree that the best course of action here would be to troubleshoot the issue first, though. Since we don't know what is causing IE to shut down, we don't know if the same issue could cause any other browser to shut down as well.

Having said that, Firefox is miles ahead from IE, in my opinion. Of course, my current anti-Microsoft stance could be influenced by having been BSOD'd recently, so keep that in mind.  Wink
Don't expect to see me around that much (if at all) -- the contact link should still work, though.

Jetsgo
Topic Author

Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:10 am

Did you completely overlook the fact that I was using a school computer? There is only so much you can do on those.

I strongly suggest that instead of whining,

Sorry, but I can't say I care enough. I know my computer works well, and that's all that matters to me. I wasn't looking for answers or support in this thread, more so just to vent. Besides, we all know how useful and efficient IT departments are. Not.

I understand there is likely a virus/spyware some sort of issue on the computer. I already know about Firefox as well. I use it on my computer, which I manage very well, and never have these issues.

TedTAce

Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:08 am

Quoting JetsGo (Reply 12):
Did you completely overlook the fact that I was using a school computer? There is only so much you can do on those.

And apparently you didn't do ANY of it. You know what I do when I get a problem on a computer I'm 'locked out of'? I look up the solution and tell the boss of the moron who's supposed to fix it how to fix it and the fact that I deserve the job said moron has. Sure it pisses people off some times. But usually there's an ad in the paper the next week.

Jetsgo
Topic Author

Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:30 pm

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 13):
And apparently you didn't do ANY of it.

Quoting JetsGo (Reply 12):
Sorry, but I can't say I care enough. I know my computer works well, and that's all that matters to me. I wasn't looking for answers or support in this thread, more so just to vent. Besides, we all know how useful and efficient IT departments are. Not.

LHStarAlliance

Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:36 pm

Quoting Aloges (Reply 8):
You can export your FF bookmarks, re-install Firefox and then import them again. If that doesn't solve it, go to http://www.adobe.com/ and download a clean install of Flash and/or Shockwave player. Naturally, all of this is assuming that you know how to take good care of your software.

Thank you , but I´ve done that thousands of times ... it never helps
 banghead 
Boycott The Olympic Games In Beijing !

NoUFO

Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:56 pm

Switching from one browser to the other, just because the one you previously used is flawed, means that you're avoiding the problem, instead of trying to face it and solve it in some way.

Sorry, but this is one of the most flawed arguments I ever came across. Why would anyone bother with problems he/she could avoid by simply switching to another software. The best problems are those that don't occure.
And you'll have less security issues using Firefox. Period.

Import the IE-View Add-on for Firefox.
http://www.erweiterungen.de/detail/IE_View/
This way you can easily switch between Firefox and IE. Klick on of your bookmarks, switch to IE, bookmark again.

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 10):

No one said otherwise, but Firefox has less security leaks then Microsoft's Internet Explorer.
I support the right to arm bears

TedTAce

Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:17 pm

Quoting NoUFO (Reply 16):
Why would anyone bother with problems he/she could avoid by simply switching to another software.

Because they want to SOLVE the problem instead of avoiding it?

NoUFO

Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:40 pm

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 17):

Then light a fire in your room and SOLVE the problem instead of avoiding it.

Speaking of solving problems, you actually do solve problems if you don't use MSIE and Outlook and MS Office or if you disable some Microsoft "features" (burdens) such as the Messenger.

aloges

Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:43 pm

Quoting LHStarAlliance (Reply 15):
Thank you , but I´ve done that thousands of times ... it never helps

Let me get that straight... you re-installed Firefox plus Flash player plus Shockwave player, still have the same problem and blame it all on Firefox? Just what YouTube are you referring to, because I certainly have never had the same problem?

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 17):

Well... if the problem is IE itself, switching to FF is pretty much a certain way to solve it, isn't it? Software shouldn't challenge people to solve the problems it creates, which is what Windows does and why I can't wait to move away from it, it should be there and ready to be used once it is needed. What do I care if there is some awkward way to manoeuvre around a flaw in IE, that security loophole/bad bit of code/lacking software interface shouldn't have been there in the first place.

I can count the number of times my standard Firefox installs* have crashed on me on the fingers of one hand, and I've used it for years. That is not the same with IE and the various third party anti-virus, pop-up blocker and ad blocker softwares, media plugins and monthly "critical updates" I had/have to install to get IE to a level of usability similar to that of FF.

Last, but not least: IF Firefox crashes, it doesn't take anything else down with it unlike IE... when that crashed, I usually had to manually restart the "explorer.exe" task and still didn't get the tray icons I had been using back, meaning that a reboot was in order.

* including just a few add-ons, not additional cost-intensive software
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

Goldenshield

Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:45 pm

Until the Firebird programmers get around to allowing the use of an HTTP address for sending e-mails, I'm stuck with using OE.  Sad
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

carmenlu15

Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:10 pm

Quoting Goldenshield (Reply 20):
Until the Firebird programmers get around to allowing the use of an HTTP address for sending e-mails, I'm stuck with using OE

I take it you mean Thunderbird, right?  Silly Just wondering, by "allowing the use of an HTTP address", are you referring to using a web-based email such as Gmail to send and receive emails?
Don't expect to see me around that much (if at all) -- the contact link should still work, though.

Goldenshield

Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:59 pm

Quoting Carmenlu15 (Reply 21):
I take it you mean Thunderbird, right? Just wondering, by "allowing the use of an HTTP address", are you referring to using a web-based email such as Gmail to send and receive emails?

Yeah, that's it. I was listening to Stravinsky earlier, hence my saying that.

Anyhow, it's not web-based e-mail, per se, but MSN protocol specific. Most, if not all, of the DSL and cable providers in the U.S. are foregoing the SMTP server route of out-bound mail, and instead using MSN for their outbound e-mail. This means that the end-user now has to use an HTTP adress to send their e-mail through a mail daemon on the MSN network in order to send mail via OE. Thunderbird does not support this feature yet.
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

malmoaviation

Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:42 am

I've got three BSOD when I've been playing FSX.

Nuff said.

PPVRA

Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:08 am

The point of a software is to make life easier, not add tasks. If FF allows me to be more efficient and is less of a hassle, I'm not using IE.

From what I know the main problem with IE is security problems. . . well I guess that's Microsoft in general, but still, I get less spyware/trojans, etc. using FF compared to IE.

I'd rather not take any chances with spyware that will record every key-stroke I make, especially when typing passwords (online banking!). In fact, I like to run my anti-spyware program before I log into my bank account.

Quoting FlyKev (Reply 9):
School ey?
Do what I do. Get a U3 smart pen drive.
These pen drives are not only the same sort of price as normal pen drives, but they allow for the install of small applications built on the U3 platform. One of the programs is Firefox.
There's no install on the machine you use it on, and it will not leave a trace. Safe, reliable, useful.
http://www.u3.com/

Hope this was useful for you.

checkmark   checkmark   checkmark 
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

174thfwff

Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:08 am

You're using a school computer. It's your school's Admins fault for allowing apps and computers to be vulnerable to spyware or whatever that comes along with your fellow students logging into myspace.com every two minutes.

Further, Microsoft Internet Explorer isn't that much of a piece of shit...
Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan, Staten, Uptown, what now? Lets make it happen.

itsjustme

Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:07 pm

Poor IE and IE users. The hits just keep on comin'. What was that about IE7 being so much more secure than IE6?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/20070314/tc_pcworld/129841

A vulnerability in Microsoft Corp.'s Internet Explorer (IE) browser could help fraudsters make phishing Web sites appear legitimate, a security researcher reported Wednesday.

The flaw lies in the way IE7 processes a locally stored HTML (Hypertext Markup Language) error message page that is typically shown when the user cancels the loading of a Web page, said Aviv Raff, a security researcher based in
Israel.

The error message tells the user that "navigation to the webpage was cancelled," and offers the user the opportunity to "refresh the page." If the refresh link is clicked, IE can be tricked into displaying the wrong Web address for a page. Raff has published proof of concept code that shows how IE can be made to display a Web page on his Web site as if it is from the cnn.com domain.

This flaw could be exploited by phishers who want to make their spoofed Web sites appear legitimate, Raff said.

"I can inject a script that will display anything I want in the page when the user clicks the 'refresh' link," he said via instant message. "Combining this with the design flaw, an attacker can render in the browser whatever he wants with whatever URL he wants in the address bar."

This type of bug is known as a cross-site scripting vulnerability. It affects IE 7 on Vista and
Windows XP

disruptivehair

Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:13 pm

I use Firefox for most things at home but it is by no means perfect. It has trouble sometimes handling multimedia and closing down the browser often locks my computer and I have to CTRL-ALT-DEL to get out of it. If I close down each tab THEN shut down the browser it behaves itself, though.

It's far from perfect but I do prefer it to IE.

NoUFO

Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:37 pm

Quoting Disruptivehair (Reply 27):
It has trouble sometimes handling multimedia

MSIE and Firefox/Mozilla use different tags to embed multimedia (embed vs. object) best to be coded as a so-called 'container'. If Firefox does not play a video or a Flash-movie properly, blame the author of the website.