Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

scaredflyer21
Topic Author

COM College Major

Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:41 am

I am seriously considering pursuing a B.S. in Organizational Communications with a minor in theatrical management. My question is, do you think that this combo is acceptable enough to pursue a career in arts management?

What other careers usually accompany Com majors?

Thanks!

Scaredflyer21

CaptOveur

RE: COM College Major

Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:39 pm

Quoting Scaredflyer21 (Thread starter):

Retail... Thats what all my friends who have Com degrees are doing.
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

KROC

Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:11 pm

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 1):
Retail... Thats what all my friends who have Com degrees are doing.

Like you have any friends who have a degree. ITT Tech doesn't count.

vikkyvik

Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:20 pm

To be perfectly honest, I got the impression that a lot of the Comm majors I knew at school didn't really know what they wanted to do.

Then again, at USC, Comm didn't exactly have the reputation of being a hard major....
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

CaptOveur

Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:20 pm

Quoting KROC (Reply 2):
Like you have any friends who have a degree. ITT Tech doesn't count.

Like I have any friends period.  bouncy 

I forgot one other career for people with a Communications degree.. Trophy wife

Communications is right down there with marketing as far as degree plans that leave a lot of room for doing other things.. Usually those other things are drinking and screwing.
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

stlgph

Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:34 pm

I am seriously considering pursuing a B.S. in Organizational Communications with a minor in theatrical management. My question is, do you think that this combo is acceptable enough to pursue a career in arts management?

no.

start in stage mangement.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

disruptivehair

Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:39 pm

I know lots of people with comm degrees, none of whom work in comm.

I'd double-major in something a bit more in demand, like accounting, engineering, etc. That way you have a fallback.

Pope

Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:24 pm

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 4):
I forgot one other career for people with a Communications degree.. Trophy wife

checkmark  My wife has a dual degree in COM and ADV from UF. She worked for 4.5 years post graduation. Now is a stay at home MILF.

Her schedule today (I kid you not) was:

• Drop kid off at school.
  • Workout at gym
  • DermAbrasion appointment at the dermatologist
  • Lunch with other MILF (wife of a local neurosurgeon)
  • Shopping / errands
  • Pick up daughter
  • Play date at home
  • Dinner party at our house

Great work if you can get it.

(If she ever sees this I'm dead.)
Hypocrisy. It's the new black for liberals.

UALPHLCS

Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:46 pm

Quoting Pope (Reply 7):

This is the poster child for:

THIS POST IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT PICS
A little less Hooah, and a little more Dooah.

AC320

Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:48 pm

Quoting Pope (Reply 7):
(If she ever sees this I'm dead.)

So I should print this thread out and leave it in the mailbox?  Wink

My question is, do you think that this combo is acceptable enough to pursue a career in arts management

Some helpful advice that worked out for me: Major in something you enjoy and like to do personally, and at the same time get a job and start building skills and getting trained. Yeah a lot of positions like certain majors but don't forget there's usually also "or XX years experience". I'm was a bio major at first, and bored to tears in class. Switched to English, got the grades to make a stab oat grad/professional programs, got a job that pays for my computing certifications which is more than a lot of computer science grads have and have been getting actual relevant real-world experience in computing, networks, databases, servers etc.... Guarantee you, I'll probably be in a more competitive position than those who spent 4 years in college for a degree in this stuff.

I'm not a big fan of majoring in something with an eye solely on the career that field is supposed to lead in to. It hardly ever seems to work that way.
fuddle duddle

disruptivehair

Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:01 am

Quoting AC320 (Reply 9):
I'm not a big fan of majoring in something with an eye solely on the career that field is supposed to lead in to. It hardly ever seems to work that way.

It depends on what you want to do. If you want to do engineering, nursing, accounting, etc. you pretty much have to major in those fields. Basically any real 'profession' requires a degree in that subject. I don't mean that other jobs aren't professions, but I'm using the word in the traditional sense. Traditionally, areas like engineering, teaching, nursing, etc. are seen as professions whereas programming is not.

AC320

Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:18 am

Quoting Disruptivehair (Reply 10):
If you want to do engineering, nursing, accounting, etc. you pretty much have to major in those fields.

Obviously, but for the purposes here I doubt Scaredflyer21 falls into this category of careers that require professional ceritifications, licenses, and such post-studies.

For something as arts managment, or aksing what you can do with a comm degree, I'm fairly confident a well-rounded education with relevant work or internship experience will more than suffice.
fuddle duddle

Pope

Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:57 am

Quoting UALPHLCS (Reply 8):
This is the poster child for:

THIS POST IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT PICS

If I posted a picture of my wife on the internet, I'd surely end up in divorce court. Just take my word for it, she's attractive - far too good looking to be hanging out with me.

desertjets

Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:31 am

Quoting AC320 (Reply 11):
Obviously, but for the purposes here I doubt Scaredflyer21 falls into this category of careers that require professional ceritifications, licenses, and such post-studies.

For something as arts managment, or aksing what you can do with a comm degree, I'm fairly confident a well-rounded education with relevant work or internship experience will more than suffice.

I am with AC320 on this one. For the OP's field there isn't a specific field of study or degree that he can get that will easily translate into a career in arts management. Even though there are programs in that field. I would be more inclined to tell him to major/study what interests him the most and seek out internship/job opportunities that gets him exposed to his field and lets him network a bit.

And as much as I hate to say it, Communications has the generally universal distinction (along w/ Family Studies) of being a gut major. Sure there is some interesting, substantive stuff going on in that field.... but it is stuff that you could study in other majors just as easily and be in a field that is considered more rigorous.

Quoting Pope (Reply 12):
If I posted a picture of my wife on the internet, I'd surely end up in divorce court. Just take my word for it, she's attractive - far too good looking to be hanging out with me.

Then maybe we need a pic of you.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

Pope

Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:52 am

Quoting DesertJets (Reply 13):

Then maybe we need a pic of you

scaredflyer21
Topic Author

Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:11 pm

Thanks for all of the replies. If my degree is a B.A. does that prevent me from obtaining an M.A. or M.F.A.?

disruptivehair

Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:29 pm

Quoting Scaredflyer21 (Reply 15):
Thanks for all of the replies. If my degree is a B.A. does that prevent me from obtaining an M.A. or M.F.A.?

Uh....no.