Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

TuRbUleNc3
Topic Author

What Real Ale's Were Most Popular?

Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:19 pm

Upon looking in asda today, my curiosity got the better of me and i purchased a few 'real ale's' as they are called.

Im no expert so im asking you lot which ones you preferred/favourites or which were the most popular ones?

Today i got Newcastle brown ale, theakstons Old peculiar and Fullers ESB champion ale.

Also i got some murphys to try, no idea what its like though but im pretty fond of guinness!

I dont drink many real ales, im more a fosters guy to be honest.

LHMark

RE: What Real Ale's Were Most Popular?

Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:25 pm

Fuller's ESB and John Courage are tradtional favorites. They're larger breweries who used the 'tied house' system, where each brewery had 'their' pubs that could only sell their brand of beer. Good stuff, too, as is the Theakston's.

PlymSpotter

Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:16 pm

Old Peculiar is a nice one, drink it quite a lot. Other nice ones I can think of would be;

Hobgoblin
Spitfire
Just about anything from the Badger Breweries
Tanglefoot
Old Speckled Hen

All very good, worth buying lots and having a 'sampling' night  Wink

Dan Smile

ltbewr

Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:39 pm

Old Peculier...mmmmm, one of my favorites when I have traveled to the UK.

LHMark

Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:42 pm

Greene King is another personal favorite.

srbmod

Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:47 pm

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 2):
Old Speckled Hen

Spitfire

Two very good ales.

All very good, worth buying lots and having a 'sampling' night

I've done that many a night in the past, which is why I've tried well over 300 different beers since 1994 (I've long since stopped counting, so that number may be anywhere from 350-500 different beers). We've got a number of bars in the Atlanta area that have extensive beer lists, almost like the wine list at a nice restaurant. One of my favorite places to go to has Fullers ESB on tap, so that's what I normally get when I go there, although sometimes I drink a few pints of Tetley's English Ale as well. About 8 or so years back, one of the places I used to frequent for a time actually had proper cask ale, complete with a beer engine to pull it. There was a cask ale event here in town a few months back (It's an annual event some of the local brewers started doing a few years back as a charity event for the local Humane Society) where some of the local breweries made cask ales especially for this event and in some cases, made cask ale versions of their regular brews. I may have to try to make it to next year's event, as it's a small gathering in which a limited number of tickets are available.

skidmarks

Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:58 pm

If anyone comes over to the Isle of Man, you must try Busheys beers. Really tasty stuff and infinately better than the other brewery here, Okells. Okells is the sort of beer that produces nothing but farts and makes you about as popular as a pig in a synagogue!

Come in TT fortnight and try a few pints in Busheys Beer Tent in Douglas. Watch the racingon the big screen and get thoroughtly pissed safe in the knowledge that no one is going to rob, hurt, kill or generally damage you or yours.:D

However, what you do to yourself, well, thats for you to decide! {wink]

Personally, out of the bottled "real ale" I prefer Spitfire or Bishops Finger from the "Shit and Scream" Brewery in Faversham, or Hobgoblin.

Andy  old 

PlymSpotter

Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:11 pm

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 5):
I've done that many a night in the past, which is why I've tried well over 300 different beers since 1994 (I've long since stopped counting, so that number may be anywhere from 350-500 different beers).

I've worked my way through most of the offerings in the local shop, it's run by an Indian family and they import a lot of interesting varieties from the subcontinent. Even the Sprite comes from Georgia, the former Soviet Republic that is, not the US!

Quoting Skidmarks (Reply 6):
If anyone comes over to the Isle of Man, you must try Busheys beers.

Guess I'm just going to have to come over again and try it! silly 

Down in the Scilly Isles off Cornwall a local brewery named one of their tipples 'Shag', perhaps creating the only way you can ask the barmaid for one, and not get a slap in return Wink

Dan Smile

flipdewaf

Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:46 am

i was annoyed that i missed the bath real ales festival for my brothers wedding, family eh, who'd have em? There are some nice pubs around here in bath and lots to choose from but my fave at the moment is probably barnstormer from bath ales or some generic black sheep. Anybody had Dr. peffers stout?

Fred

Bongodog1964

Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:43 am

Quoting LHMARK (Reply 4):
Greene King is another personal favorite.

Any particular one, or the whole range ?

They produce amongst others:

IPA good for your average drinking session
Abbot ale Special occasions, or for those with a strong constitution (still suffering from a session last night)
Old speckled hen Treat with caution !!!! it's potent stuff.

Out of these I prefer the Abbot, but not on a regular basis.

srbmod

Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:20 am

Quoting Bongodog1964 (Reply 9):

It's been quite awhile since I had some Abbot Ale. There used to be a pub in Buckhead that had it on tap. Damn good brew. I can find it in cans at the liquor I go to when I'm in the mood to get something different than my usual brews.

MCOflyer

Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:28 am

Newcastle for me.

MCOflyer

flipdewaf

Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:44 am

i found when i was in the US that the newcastle wasnt the same as in england either it hadnt travelled well or its brewed in the US. Also it was pulled more than in england personally i like it out of a bottle and then poured into a glass for settling time.

Fred