Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

tz757300

RE: High School Recruiting Tu US Military...?

Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:56 am

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 53):
Quoting TZ757300 (Reply 49):
I also believe that the military has more of a lower class base because it offers a solid, guarnteed job thats pays better the longer you serve with free benefits as long as you are in.

And have you ever served in the military? Or have you done any extensive research on the issue? Or have you just pull this belief out your ***?

No, but I will be and have looked into the issue. Does it not make sense that people who are not in the best of monetary situation would want a better situation. And I'm sure people just cant get income and free benefits out of their ass, so wouldnt the military become a pretty viable solution?

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 53):
Quoting TZ757300 (Reply 49):
I also truely believe that the from military total enlistemnt, 2% of those enlistees come from the upper class.

Source for this statistic, please?

Its a belief, not a statistic. So, no, no source for you. But if you do have a source for a statistic, please show me. I'd rather have fact than total b.s. I'm not trying to be a complete asshole here

tz757300

Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:03 pm

Quoting JAL777 (Reply 61):
See post 33.

Thanks, I missed that one. I recend all accusations I made.

JAL777

Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:07 pm

Quoting TZ757300 (Reply 65):
Thanks, I missed that one. I recend all accusations I made.

Well I give you credit for actually looking at it - most would see the .mil URL and dismiss it as military propaganda.  Yeah sure

I'm guessing military recruiters at high schools wouldn't be such a big deal if we didn't have that Bush Clusterf*ck to contend with. Way too many people think protesting one is a way to protest the other.  Angry

MaidensGator

Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:08 pm

Quoting TZ757300 (Reply 40):
And what do rich kids have to do with it?

Nothing....

I saw more military recruiters in my law school than in my high school. They were also on campus when I did my undergrad. They're not just scraping the bottom of the barrel or targeting low class, uneducated people.

For many young people in economically depressed areas, the military may be their ticket to a better life. Besides being a steady paying job with benefits, there are educational opportunities that may otherwise be unavailable to many people. I'm sure there are many people on a-net that received their training through military service.
The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers.

speedbird747BA

Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:10 pm

Quoting JAL777 (Reply 67):
I'm guessing military recruiters at high schools wouldn't be such a big deal if we didn't have that Bush Clusterf*ck to contend with. Way too many people think protesting one is a way to protest the other.

I honestly wasnt aware it was a big deal. It isnt where i go to HS.

I wonder if they recruit much in San Francisco....:D
How long do I have to climb, up on the side of this mountain of mine?

AsstChiefMark

Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:13 pm

The CIA used to come to high school to recruit. At least one person in the class ahead of me is now a big shot serving somewhere in Eastern Europe.
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

MaidensGator

Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:30 pm

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 71):
The CIA used to come to high school to recruit. At least one person in the class ahead of me is now a big shot serving somewhere in Eastern Europe.

Is he a pilot?

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Václav Kudela

The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers.

AsstChiefMark

Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:34 pm

Quoting MaidensGator (Reply 72):
Is he a pilot?

Her mom says she's a covert in Eastern Europe, but that's all she knows.
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

fraspotter

Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:53 pm

Quoting Bofredrik (Thread starter):
How many of the top US politicians and
CEO:s have children in Iraq? Not many...

Well there are more working class people in America than politicians and CEOs so of course there aren't going to be as many.
"The strength of the turbulence is directly proportional to the temperature of your coffee."

— Gunter's Second Law of Air Travel

dl021

Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:20 pm

It sems for me to be very strange...
So young people.
Children.
Is US military so desperate for soldiers?

Stop it....the military has been recruiting at high schools since I was a kid. Where else do you look for 18 year old volunteers? Coca-Cola used to send people through the high schools looking for future talent.....are they desperate?

Quoting STLGph (Reply 4):
except they need to be 21 to drink and 23 or so to get off their parents' insurance plans.

I agree....an 18 year old serviceman or woman should be able to buy beer and insurance.

Quoting STLGph (Reply 4):

yes.

Stop that too....recruiting goals are being met while expanding the military.....

Quoting Speedbird747BA (Reply 8):
Yeah. The military recruits at my school. And it gets people who have bad parents, a bad home something to shoot for. Thats a bad thing? If anything, military presence in my school has helped it.

The people that enter the military are not primarily from families with bad parents, and what you wrote seems to suggest that. Is that what you meant?
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

Venus6971

Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:56 pm

I came from a middle class family that had the means to help me get through college but I did not desire to get a job after college sitting in some damn cubicle in a skyscraper like most my family did in Chicago. I enlisted before I started my senior year in HS, Jimmy Carter was the POTUS then in Sept 1980 and served to January 2003. I did not feel that this was only option that was for me but it was the only thing I wanted to do. To all the Euro/North American A netters who come from a democracy on this thread who think being in the military is evil and being a soldier is lower than a cheap whore. I don't agree with you but I will fight and die to let you have the right to make a jackass out of yourself. It is your right to be a selfish bastard and look out out for #1 because some 18 year old joined and made a sacrifice for his country. You guys have it great, much is given to you and nothing is expected in return. I have a lady friend who is about as liberal as they come, she can't even kill a cockroach because of her respect for all life, we agree with nothing when comes to politics. But I will kill anyone who will try to harm her because of her beliefs. The world needs these gentle and warm souls , it makes my country and its ideals worth fighting and dieing for. Give some of these 18 year old the benefit of the doubt, some don't go in for just the college money or job training, they want to be part of something that is bigger than themselves. Maybe some of them come from baby boomer parents who hate the military and spitted on Viet Nam vets when it was their turn to step up, teen age rebellion.
I would help you but it is not in the contract

CaptOveur

Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:42 pm

Quoting Bofredrik (Reply 19):
We have the same here.* But we do not send them to Iraq.

Not all of ours go to Iraq

They are to young for that kind of war

So what is the appropriate age to go to the sandbox? Please describe the war that is age-appropriate for people enlisting out of high school either because they can't afford to go to college, don't know what they want to do with their lives, or just feel compelled to serve their country.

he said that this young US soldiers of 18 do not know what to do when it is enemy fire.

I am sure the journalist is an expert, because we all know journalists are experts in military tactics. As for not knowing what to do when under fire, that is why we have NCOs.

Most of them are so afraid that they is dangerous for the whole team.

Anyone who is NOT afraid when they are being shot at is lying

A lot of countries require mandatory service after high school.. I wouldn't be opposed to that happening here.
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

latintraveller

Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:55 am

Hi You guys. I've been a member for almost a month now but i never had the chance to actually post until i saw this thread.

I'm a Senior in High School this year and i can honestly say that recruiters are on the rise on campus. I receive brochures from the army. I also receive phone calls as well.

Keep in mind that I was never interested in the Army or ever signed up for any of their programs or whatnot. I respect what they do, but it's not for me.

Venus6971

Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:59 pm

Quoting LatinTraveller (Reply 62):
Keep in mind that I was never interested in the Army or ever signed up for any of their programs or whatnot. I respect what they do, but it's not for me.

Thats OK alot of people have no desire for Military service, just like being in the clergy,police,fireman any other type of first responder you have to want to do it. I would never want to be in a draftee military with a bunch of guys who don't want to be there, it is hard enough being with an Airman who came in Open general for his career choice and got a job he hates.

KaiGywer

Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:41 pm

Quoting Bofredrik (Reply 22):
MODERATOR! Please cancel my membership.
I should look for a more democratic and open one.
Thank you anyway for a good site in many other aspects!

Moderators can't cancel your membership. Go to your profile, and way at the bottom is a checkbox "Delete this user". Check that, and you'll be good to go.
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

disruptivehair

Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:04 pm

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 25):
But as I've said before, and few have quarreled with, the military is a valid, honorable, respectable career for many, regardless of their background. That said, I don't believe in giving them any special treatment any other career recruiter would receive in a similar location. Having a recruiter at a high school isn't a sign of any "desperation" at all.

I agree. I was in high school 1989-1993; there was one major conflict during that period, and that was the first Gulf War. By the time Clinton took office I was halfway through my senior year and there didn't seem to be a problem getting people to join the military, but we still had recruiters from all four branches plus the Merchant Marine and the Coast Guard showing up at my high school. There was no pressure at all to even talk to them, though I did get a telephone call from the Air Force. I simply told them I wasn't interested in joining and they left me alone; I don't know where they got my number and it doesn't really matter.

I don't see anything wrong with allowing recruiters to visit high schools as long as the students are not pressured or forced into speaking to the recruiters. A lot of students are so busy with homework/extracurriculars that they would not have time to visit a recruiting office anyway.

And the military is a valid, honorable, respectable career choice. It has helped many people attend college who would not have had the chance otherwise, in exchange for a few years of service. It has put people through medical school. It has helped people achieve things they never thought possible. I disagree with the Iraq War, but I have a lot of respect for the military as an institution and for the people who serve in it, particularly as it is a volunteer military. Everyone who is there made a conscious choice to be there.

Superfly

Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:21 pm

Luckily this is no longer a problem in the San Francisco schools. We passed a law that forbids aggressive military recruitment.
We aren't discouraging military service, just the aggressive and sometimes hostile recruitment by some of the recruiters.
I remember back when I was in high school, my closest bus stop was in front of a recruitment office. The recruiter would constantly bug me about joining the military until my bus arrived. Some mornings I'd walk 6 blocks away just to avoid him. I was always polite and kindly told him NO and was not interested. Yet he couldn't take no for an answer. He was worse than those Mormon missionaries and Jehovah's Witness.
One day I told him; "You must have really screwed up to get this lame assignment recruiting high school kids".
He never bothered me again.
Bring back the Concorde

cfalk

Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:52 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 66):
One day I told him; "You must have really screwed up to get this lame assignment recruiting high school kids".
He never bothered me again.

So where is the problem? You didn't get shanghaied, right? You had the right to say no, right? I agree that they can be annoying at times (depends on the recruiter), but as far as I can recall the Consitution does not mention the right not to be annoyed...
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

miamiair

Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:01 am

I joined when I was 17. My parents had to sign off on it.

And I was not from a poor family. I got my High School diploma and went in.

I see nothing wrong with what they are doing.
Molon Labe - Proud member of SMASH

Superfly

Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:20 am

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 67):
So where is the problem?

No problem at all once I told the guy in so many words to f--k off!

What ever happened to respecting another person's decision?
I told the guy many times over and over again that I wasn't interested and was very polite about it.
Doesn't the military teach discipline? What happened in his case?
No means no!

I was always well aware of the military as all other teenagers are.

The recruiter is representative of our government and I have issues with a government official harassing people.
Bring back the Concorde

dl021

Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:52 am

Luckily this is no longer a problem in the San Francisco schools. We passed a law that forbids aggressive military recruitment.

No...they tried to forbid recruiters from talking to high school kids on campus or off.

Recruiters don't chase kids who say no once or twice. I don't know what you dealt with there, but it's unusual for a recruiter to chase someone who says no. I do believe that many people in the SFO area are rather hyperreactive (to the point of hysteria) when it comes to such matters.....

But thanks for this non-discussion anywhay.
AND all the answers from the great democracy USA.
When all opinions is free.
What a joke...

Thank you anyway for a good site in many other aspects!

Dude....use the self-delete button if you're going to whine when people call you on your BS.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

MDorBust

Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:58 am

Quoting STLGph (Reply 33):
no. they scrape the bottom of the barrel.

Proud to be the bottom of the barrel.

Quoting MKEdude (Reply 42):
But our military should be reflective of our entire society, not just those on the lower end of the economic ladder.

Never been in have you?

Disproven time and again.

The JROTC was "aggressive military recruitment"?
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

charlienorth

Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:18 am

I wnet to a high school in an upper middle class community in the late 70's early 80's,all branches would send recruiters to the career center and they would also call our homes and yes they did have many takers.
Work hard fly right..don't understand it

Superfly

Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:54 am

Quoting DL021 (Reply 70):
I don't know what you dealt with there, but it's unusual for a recruiter to chase someone who says no. I do believe that many people in the SFO area are rather hyperreactive (to the point of hysteria) when it comes to such matters.....

This happened down in Pasadena, California. I pretty expensive suburb of Los Angeles.
That's where I went to high school.
My experience is not an isolated incident. I've seen it happen on several other occasions.
My guess is that recruitment is low out here so some recruiters resort to desperate measures to get attention. There is no "hysteria".
In the southeast, there is a higher percentage of people that join the military. This is just my guess.

Keep in mind, I am not anti-military at all. In fact, I considered going in as an officer when I graduated from collage. There are some divisions of the Navy and Air Force that I would love to be a part of.
Bring back the Concorde

MKEdude

Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:32 am

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 71):
Quoting MKEdude (Reply 42):
But our military should be reflective of our entire society, not just those on the lower end of the economic ladder.

Never been in have you?

I'm not sure what you are saying. Do you mean to say that our military should not be reflective of society at large?

Perhaps you meant to quote something else. Your question does not seem to match.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline." Frank Zappa

MDorBust

Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:37 am

Quoting MKEdude (Reply 74):
Do you mean to say that our military should not be reflective of society at large?

Nope.

What I'm saying is that the military IS reflective of society at large.
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

Superfly

Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:31 am

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 75):

At all levels?
Bring back the Concorde

falstaff

Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:55 am

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 4):
Many people end their education at the high school level, for whatever reason. The military is a career option just like anything else, and may be attractive to kids who are not interested in going to college right now, or are unable to because of grades or finances.

The high school where I teach hardly anyone goes to college. The military has been a popular choice with many of our kids. Several of our instructors were in the Army before going to college and becoming teachers. Many of the kids I deal with have never left Detroit and they see it as a way to see the world and see some action.

Quoting TheCol (Reply 8):
The Canadian Forces do the same thing,

I once went to a movie in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario and there was an commercial for the Canadian Army on before the film.

Quoting Klima (Reply 18):
Allow me to say, as well, that I went to a private high school. Not some dumpy, rundown high school in a poor neighborhood, which I think a lot of people believe only recruiters go to to get people to join the military. They really do try to reach out to all students.

I went to a "high class" public school and the military recruited there at the college information night. Several people, including my friend Jake joined the Marines. Several of my classmates went to West Point and the Air Force Academy.

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 36):
The kids know damned well what they're getting themselves into.

I have several students who are going to the Marines and Army as soon as they graduate this year. They are all hoping the war isn't over because they want to see some action.

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 36):
In the 1960's and 1970's, there were dozens of recruits from my school that graduated from school in May and were in Vietnam before the end of summer.

My father drafted for Vietnam after he graduated from college, which is kind of odd.

Quoting MaidensGator (Reply 53):
I saw more military recruiters in my law school than in my high school. They were also on campus when I did my undergrad. They're not just scraping the bottom of the barrel or targeting low class, uneducated people

They were on my campus too. A guy on my bowling team who was in his 1st year of med school joined the Navy so they would pay for his med school in return for his service. The Air Force recruited around the aviation department. I know two Army officers (brothers) who's parents have a high six figure income and both were recruited at the University of Wyoming.

My parents always have done well and they could afford to send me to college even if my grades were crummy (2.0 gpa upon graduation) I went to a University right out of high school. That is not an option for many people. I tried to join the Navy to be an officer in 1999, but was turned down due to a spinal and foot deformity.

Quoting DL021 (Reply 70):
but it's unusual for a recruiter to chase someone who says no

I had the Army and Marines call me when I graduated from high school and when I told them I was enrolled at Central Missouri State, they wished me luck and I never heard from them again.

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 71):
The JROTC was "aggressive military recruitment"?

We had Air Force JROTC at my high school. It was very popular, especially with the black students, for some reason or another. I never met anyone in the program who didn't like it. The Major in charge was a fighter pilot in Vietnam and really great guy. I never had him for class, but he was fixture at school events. The JROTC is still a popular program at my old high school.

Sometimes military service allows one to move up the social latter. My dad came from a poor home and a single mother. He worked his butt off at a J & L steel plant in Pittsburgh to pay for college. He was drafted after he graduated. He became a very successful businessman. He says he owes a lot of his success to the skills he learned in the Army. He became a good salesman, so he says, because after being in firefight he doesn't get intimated by others. In that example someone who was in the "lower end" has moved up to the "upper end" later in life. I knew lots of people in college who had been in the Navy and Army. Many of them joined to get money for college. My buddy Scotty served on an aircraft carrier, with no intention of college, and was so inspired by the aircraft he went to college for A&P (he was a fireman in the Navy) and now has his masters and teaches A&P at the University level. Another beer drinking buddy, Bill, had sevred for 8 years in the Army went to college for four years got a degree and went back in as an officer. The notion that the military is a place for losers is a crazy one.

All that aside my dad and grandfather (on my moms side) both discouraged me from military service because they didn't want me to go to war like they did, although sometimes I wish I had. There have been members of my family in the US Civil War, Spanish American War, WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Desert Storm, and in Iraq
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

ANCFlyer

Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:23 am

Children.

Horsecrap.

This thread was instantly derailed with this comment, all by itself. More Bofredrick  redflag 

Sure Bo, we're sending 15 year old into combat.  sarcastic 

This thread was useless, worthless, wasted before you hit the SEND button.

Quoting STLGph (Reply 2):

yes

Ummmm, no.

Quoting Bofredrik (Reply 7):
"As has been discussed here before, the background profile of military personel in Iraq is actually higher than that of the general population. I.E. Their are more kids who volunteer coming from middle or upper class families than from the poor, relative to the population."

I would appreciate a ref to that. Tks!

Then search the site.

Here's a newsflash for you, all the folks claiming - CLAIMING - the majority o the deaths in Iraq have been Minority, Lower Class soldiers are Wrong, dead ass frackin' wrong.

In fact, they've been WHITE, middle class.

A simple Google Search will provide the appropriate results.

Only the ignorant racists on this site continue to believe the "US military picks on the poor inner-city underclass NON-White population".

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 13):
The problem is you are bringing up an issue that has been discussed to death in this forum.

Yup, over and over and over.

Quoting Bofredrik (Reply 16):
They are to young for that kind of war

What a crock of crap . . . just what kind of "war" are your precious young soldiers eligible to fight???? What a lod of garbage.

"Ohhh, wait, wrong kind of war for our younger soldiers!!! Holy somokes, we can't send them there, they may get KILLED!" Are you for real????

Mods don't do that, but I can direct you to the appropriate button on your profile to effect the end result in a matter of seconds.

If you'd like, contact me at [email protected]

Of course, you could stick around and take the thrashing like a man, afterall, you started it. Better than cutting and running ain't it.

We aren't discouraging military service, just the aggressive and sometimes hostile recruitment by some of the recruiters.

Which is ONE reason, of many, I wish that place would slide off into the Pacific . . . . what a worthless bunch of morons . . . and I'll add this caveat . . . anyone that concurs with their warped thinking is equally worthless.

You want the benefits, but refuse to pay the price.

Absolutely, unimaginably SHAMEFUL. Absolutely shameful. Useless people.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 76):
Quoting MDorBust (Reply 75):

At all levels?

Yes, Larry. At all levels. I have served with sons of millionaires, I have served with sons of paupers. ALL levels. Contrary to that warped, uber-left wing, off balance view you have, ALL levels.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

UnknownUser

Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:46 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 78):
Which is ONE reason, of many, I wish that place would slide off into the Pacific . . . . what a worthless bunch of morons . . . and I'll add this caveat . . . anyone that concurs with their warped thinking is equally worthless.

checkmark 

Here's a newsflash for you, all the folks claiming - CLAIMING - the majority o the deaths in Iraq have been Minority, Lower Class soldiers are Wrong, dead ass frackin' wrong.

You're right, they are so wrong. I come from an upper class family, got a 3.8 in high school, and had colleges asking for me. Seperating from the DEP is a decision I regret still to this day. If I get a chance to go for it again, you bet I will.
Die Skybus!!! You need to die for the good of the industry!

falstaff

Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:52 am

In fact, they've been WHITE, middle class.

There was recently an article in the Detroit Free Press stating that. The article also said that most of the Michiganders to die in the war were white and middle class. One of the white middle class men was my vice principal's adopted son, who was a college grad.

I meet people all the time who bash the USA, but have never lived, or even been, anywhere else. I met a lot of those kind of people in college. I was once flying back from STL to DTW and this college student behind me was on his way to France. He sounded like a good ole' boy from Missouri. He was chatting with a WWII era man next to him. This "kid" ( he was probably 5 or six years younger than me) went on about he didn't think it was fair that he would have to work his entire life to earn social security. He blathered on about how he didn't like work, but since he was student the government should pay his expenses. He said that he liked going to school and felt it was unfair that he should pay.. He was so happy to be going to France where he could go to school for free and not have to work to a have a steady income ( I bet he found that to be a load of BS when he got there). The guy next to him was so mad I thought he would have a stroke. I was fuming myself. As I exited the plane at DTW I followed the guy into the mens room and told him that I was happy he was leaving the country and we didn't need people like him anyway. I asked him nicely to never come back to the USA. I also went on to say that the French don't need bums like you either. I also said I was ashamed to have ever met a Missourian who hated the USA so much. This guy was shocked that I was nice about it and didn't want to kick his butt. Another time, at a bar in college, I met a guy talking about how great every European country was compared to the USA. He had never left the USA. I told him if he left he country and never came back I would buy him a one way plane ticket out of the country. He laughed, but I was serious. I don't like people knocking my country and I don't like to knock anyone elses country. If given the opportunity and the money I would like to visit every country in the world. No country is perfect. But we all should be proud of the country's we call home.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

Superfly

Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:56 pm

Calm down dude.
No one is banning anyone from signing up.
Yes we do have ROTC in our schools as well.

You need to keep in mind that may view on this is shaped by my own personal experience with aggressive recruiters. I am NOT bashing the military and if you re-read my post # 73, I mentioned that I considered joining on my own accord. I am not influenced by what every left-wing groups says. You should know this considering my position on gun- control.

Dude that doesn't even sound like you. Wishing death on people that you don't agree with?
Bring back the Concorde

fraspotter

Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:38 pm

I am in college right now and working for my bachelors in Political Science. Once I graduate, I will enlist in the Army. My parents keep on telling me to go in as an officer. However I really just want to join and worry about OCS later on. I've lived in a military family my entire life on a base in Germany and loved it. I've honestly thought about joining the Texas National Guard until I graduate in 3 or 4 years and than switching over to active duty. Can you do that? If anyone out there can enlighten me, I'd really appreciate it...
"The strength of the turbulence is directly proportional to the temperature of your coffee."

— Gunter's Second Law of Air Travel

Venus6971

Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:51 pm

Quoting FRAspotter (Reply 82):
I am in college right now and working for my bachelors in Political Science. Once I graduate, I will enlist in the Army. My parents keep on telling me to go in as an officer. However I really just want to join and worry about OCS later on. I've lived in a military family my entire life on a base in Germany and loved it. I've honestly thought about joining the Texas National Guard until I graduate in 3 or 4 years and than switching over to active duty. Can you do that? If anyone out there can enlighten me, I'd really appreciate it...

Go to www.military.com and ask questions like that, they have a bunch of old farts like me that can answer your questions in the discussions forum.

tz757300

Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:44 am

Quoting FRAspotter (Reply 82):
Can you do that? If anyone out there can enlighten me, I'd really appreciate it...

Yup, all it is is a matter of paperwork. My guy I know just finished college couple months ago and was in the National Guard since high school and he requested to go active and all he had to do was get switched to another unit. Not hard to do at all.

TheCol

Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:21 am

Quoting Falstaff (Reply 77):
I once went to a movie in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario and there was an commercial for the Canadian Army on before the film.

Yeah, that's pretty much the norm now. Personally, I think it's a good opportunity for people to be exposed more to the CF. If they don't want to sign on, they can still be informed about what our men and women in uniform are doing for us.
No matter how random things may appear, there's always a plan.