Topic Author

Britain At Fault For Every World Problem

Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:11 pm

http://www.britishreparations.org/news.php

Do you all really hate us this much ?

mdsh00

RE: Britain At Fault For Every World Problem

Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:25 pm

Haha...sounds like you have a feeling for what Americans hear all the time, and we didn't even have an empire.

Truth be told though, when I went to the Tower of London a few years ago and saw the Crown Jewels, I couldn't help but feel a little bit when I saw the Kohinoor and Crown of the Viceroy of India with all of those pillaged Indian jewels, which were all "gifted" to the Britsh government.

But that is the past...

JAL777

Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:25 pm

Hey! Join the club.

Signed,

The United States of America

TSS

Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:31 pm

I wonder how much that loon has personally contributed to global warming by spewing hot air?
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

N174UA

Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:33 pm

Finally, the blame shifts to others besides me.

Signed,
George W. Bush

LTU932

Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:35 pm

At least they're not blaming me.

Signed,
Tony Blair
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

ANCFlyer

Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:45 pm

Quoting Bongodog1964 (Thread starter):

Better get your  flamed  suit on, you KNOW it's all America's fault and all George Bush's fault and the Republicans fault . . ..

laughing 
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

ME AVN FAN

Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:52 pm

Britain in the times of the British Empire ruled up to 30% of the world, directly or indirectly and dominated some additional 20%. THAT is the reason for a lot of love-hate all over the globe. France has a similar problem. And of course, much of what went on in both the British Empire and L'Empire Francais was ugly. So, what do you expect ?
-

Falcon84

Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:53 pm

Quoting TSS (Reply 3):
I wonder how much that loon has personally contributed to global warming by spewing hot air?

Quoting N174UA (Reply 4):
Finally, the blame shifts to others besides me.

Signed,
George W. Bush

rotfl 

And it serves the British right for not being decent Christians.

Signed,

James Dobson
Work Right, Fly Hard

yowza

Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:55 pm

That ridiculous site has less than 13000 signatures. There was a petition out there to stop Ashley Simpson from releasing another album which has... wait for it... 413339 signatures. 'nuff said.

YOWza

futurecaptain

Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:27 pm

Yes, all the world's problems trace back to you. If you could only keep your lonely colonists in line the USA wouldn't be here and all the world's problems would go away.  Smile
AirSO. ASpaceO. ASOnline. ASO.com ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO.

gkirk

Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:59 pm

Pff....everyone knows the EU is to blame for world problems  Yeah sure
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

disruptivehair

Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:21 pm

Mmmm yeah...live in Europe as an American for six years, then come crying.

rotfl   rotfl   rotfl 

Banco

Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:39 pm

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 7):
Britain in the times of the British Empire ruled up to 30% of the world, directly or indirectly and dominated some additional 20%. THAT is the reason for a lot of love-hate all over the globe. France has a similar problem. And of course, much of what went on in both the British Empire and L'Empire Francais was ugly. So, what do you expect ?

More than that actually. Total naval power meant that Britain dominated just about anywhere and everywhere that had a coastline (including France, much to their utter fury). As you say, what else could we expect?

No doubt in AD700 when their was chaos across Europe, you had someone in the forum of Rome turning to his mate and saying "Why does everyone blame us for everything?"  Wink

Now and in the future, everything is also the fault of the United States. As with Britain, sometimes that's fair criticism, sometimes it isn't. Where you could defend both Britain and the US now is to say that for all their flaws, capriciousness, prejudices and mistakes, they probably were the best option of the possible superpowers of the day.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

oli80

Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:47 pm

I'm guessing not many of you have read this book

The Evil Empire - 101 ways England ruined the world

It's the kind of book you put in the bathroom, very funny! I recommend it to all with a good sense of humour - you'll need it.

disruptivehair

Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:55 pm

Quoting Oli80 (Reply 14):
I'm guessing not many of you have read this book

The Evil Empire - 101 ways England ruined the world

It's the kind of book you put in the bathroom, very funny! I recommend it to all with a good sense of humour - you'll need it.

Hahahaha...why does it not surprise me that a Welsh person has a book like that?

duck 

Sounds like a good book but I'm not sure my English husband would care for it.

RobertNL070

Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:51 pm

Has anybody read The Facts? The Industrial Revolution is especially  rotfl 

http://www.britishreparations.org/facts.php

Robert
Born to be wild ...... until about 9 p.m.
Home = RTM, Rotterdam The Hague.

Bongodog1964
Topic Author

Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:10 pm

Quoting RobertNL070 (Reply 19):
Has anybody read The Facts? The Industrial Revolution is especially

Try the next section Global Misrule, where it accuses the British of delaying getting involved in Global conflicts of the 20th Century; thats a bit rich coming from an American. I seem to recall from my history lessons that the US tended to join World Wars about 3 years after Britain.

Banco

Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:25 pm

No need to get irritated about it though. Either it's a brilliant satire and he's having a laugh at a lot of people's expense, or he's a complete moron, along with the 12,000 or so who've signed the "petition".

David L

Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:28 pm

From the link:

"British Biggest Trans-Atlantic Contributor To Global Warming"

Assuming we take the politicised view rather than the pure scientific view, perhaps.

"In An Ironic Twist, The Globalization That The British Invented Turns Against Them As Beloved Brown Sauce Departs for The Netherlands"

They think that's a big deal? They think it's something new? What about Rover and Jaguar, etc? What about all the foreign companies that ended up in British hands?

"The reaction, of course, was for Britain to run around like little schoolgirls shrieking NOT FAIR! NOT FAIR! NOT FAIR!"

Bollocks! How many even noticed, let alone cared?

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 7):
And of course, much of what went on in both the British Empire and L'Empire Francais was ugly. So, what do you expect ?

Correct. The world was a very different place 200 years ago, even 100 years ago and there were plenty of ugly things happening outside the British Empire. The fact that few other nations had nearly such dominance was not always through lack of trying.  Smile

UALPHLCS

Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:43 pm

Well let's just see shall we?

Who set up the artificial borders in Iraq? Britian.

Who was the first Western power to invade Afghanistan? Britain.

Who set up the rules by which Kashmir is still disputed today causing several wars and two nuclear powers? Britain.

Who promised to leave the colony of Palestine to both the Jews and the Arabs creating the great divide between the Palestinians and the Jews? Britain.

By contrast the US has spent the past 60 years running around the world cleaning up Britain's mess!

edited for grammatical mistakes

[Edited 2007-03-30 16:55:50]
A little less Hooah, and a little more Dooah.

MaverickM11

Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:47 pm

Now you know what it feels like to be Halliburton Silly
I don't take responsibility at all

disruptivehair

Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:48 pm

Quoting UALPHLCS (Reply 33):
Well let's just see shall we?

Who set up the artificial borders in Iraq? Britian.

Who was the first Western power to invade Afghanistan? Britain.

Who set up the rules by with Kashmir is still disputed today cause several wars and two nuclear powers? Britain.

Who promised to leave the colony of Palestine to both the Jews and the Arabs creating the great divide between the Palestinians and the Jews? Britain.

By contrast the US has spent the past 60 years running around the world cleaning up Britain's mess!

stirthepot

Hahaha, I've used that argument on them before. Classic.

ltbewr

Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:08 am

Also add to the faults of the UK the business of slavery of humans, until they discontinued it in the 1830's. A recent film "Amazing Grace" talks about the political and social battles in the UK Parlament and elsewhere to end the trade, which decimated western Africa.
Then you have the terrible policies of the UK with Ireland over many centuries. From repressing the Catholic Church (until the early 1800's), their exports of food from Ireland even when the main source of food, the potato was lost to blights (especially 1845-1851) and subsequent virtual genocide or forced exile of millions of Irish (mostly to the USA).
Their polices throughout the Middle East and Egypt from the 1800's, with the USA especially after WWII and the rise of Communism are also something that we all pay dearly today.
In Africa, as a colonial power, they often created artificial bordered countries, putting different and conflicting tribal groups together, but often taking sides with one tribe against the other. That has created many of the conflicts in Africa in the post-colonial era.
I accept the reality of the economic and political colonialism of the USA as well, especially in Central America, parts of South America and Carribbean islands, and elsewhere in the world, including the Middle East (especially with Saudia Arabia and Israel) that has led to a lot of hate against us as well.

allstarflyer

Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:49 am

Don't know/don't care if people in general feel that way. I'm proud of my Anglo heritage.

-R
Living the American Dream

GDB

Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:32 am

Of course an answer to this looney site is that - 'you cannot have any reparations, all our 'ill-gotten gains' were lost fighting Nazism, so piss off'.

Banco

Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:54 am

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 39):
Also add to the faults of the UK the business of slavery of humans, until they discontinued it in the 1830's.

Yes, you see, this is always a bit problematic. British culpability in the slave trade is clear, but on the other hand, the British were the first to abolish it, they enforced the abolition of slave trade on everyone else in the teeth of opposition from just about every country, who couldn't understand why the Brits had their knickers in such a twist about the subject. Placing a 21st century morality on 18th century history is always difficult. The abolition of the slave trade was quite possibly the first time in history that a government specifically acted against its own economic interests for humanitarian reasons.

Then you have the terrible policies of the UK with Ireland over many centuries

Hmm. British-Irish history is deeply troubled, but it goes too far to say they were policies over many centuries.

and subsequent virtual genocide

Is just complete balls. The Sinn Fein version of history. The disaster of the potato famine was down to an idiotic over-belief in the free market. The lack of intervention was the catastophe.

That has created many of the conflicts in Africa in the post-colonial era.

True to an extent, though British colonies overall fared rather better than most others. But given that it was 50 years ago, it might now be time to stop blaming the British for old history.

I accept the reality of the economic and political colonialism of the USA as well

Of course. British and latterly American history is deeply mixed. All too often the ideals were never matched by the reality. The point being that only the most powerful tend to attract such opprobrium.