Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

copaair737
Topic Author

Mail Call On History Channel

Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:30 am

anyone else ever watch this show? Great show. R. Lee Ermey's commentary alone makes it worth watching. Plus, all the facts on battles and invasions are good as well.

-Copa
Livin' on Reds, Vitamin C, and Cocaine

AsstChiefMark

RE: Mail Call On History Channel

Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:38 am

I love the old gunny. I'll never forget his best appearance...

Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

itsjustme

Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:44 am

R Lee should have called it quits after Full Metal Jacket. He's borderline a laughing stock on Mail Call. Time to retire, Sir.

Queso

Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:53 am

I really enjoy the show and if Ermey ever needs a stand-in I think ANCFlyer could fill his boots very capably.

AsstChiefMark

Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:54 am

Quoting Itsjustme (Reply 2):
He's borderline a laughing stock on Mail Call

He's scripted to say Full Metal Jacket-style things like, "Where do you think you're going? Mail Call will be right back." That rubs me the wrong way. It almost feels like the producers and directors are making a mockery of him for his movie role.

Other than that, I see him in his role on Mail Call as the brilliant old soldier that's lightened up and wants to share his years of knowledge with people who want to listen.
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

AsstChiefMark

Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:56 am

Quoting Queso (Reply 3):
I think ANCFlyer could fill his boots very capably.

Yeah. I've thought that for a couple of years, actually.

Queso

Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:58 am

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 4):
brilliant old soldier that's lightened up and wants to share his years of knowledge with people who want to listen.

Oh, so THAT'S why ANC joined A.net.  rotfl 

ANCFlyer

Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:59 am

Quoting Copaair737 (Thread starter):
anyone else ever watch this show? Great show

Always. It's on here mid-evening, and late at night again.

R. Lee Ermey is great. I am GLAD I was NOT a trainee under him . . . LOL

R Lee should have called it quits after Full Metal Jacket. He's borderline a laughing stock on Mail Call. Time to retire, Sir.

????  confused 

You talking about the same Gunny?
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

L-188

Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:01 pm

Well, the mail call show is meant more for teens then anybody else I think and it is an entertainment show. View it as such, and I think the scripting is part of the reason as mentioned before, you can see his conduct and demeanor change between when he is interviewing servicemembers and when he is reading lines.

R Lee should have called it quits after Full Metal Jacket.

Why, he brilliantly played "Sarge" in the Toy Story movies.

Actually the thing about R Lee Ermey is that he was originally was just a script consultant for FMJ, but they decided that he should play the DI too.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

jetjack74

Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:03 pm

Great show. R. Lee Ermey's commentary alone makes it worth watching. Plus, all the facts on battles and invasions are good as well.

I've watched it on occasion. I especially like the programmes dedicated to aviation, and aircraft carriers. I especially enjoyed the numerous segments on the C-130 he's done over the years.
Made from jets!

AsstChiefMark

Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:12 pm

That six minute scene from Full Metal Jacket that I posted was done in one take.

Also, notice that he doesn't use his left arm. That's because he had recently broken all his left ribs in a Jeep crash while making the movie.

Source: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093058/trivia

ANCFlyer

Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:14 pm

That rubs me the wrong way. It almost feels like the producers and directors are making a mockery of him for his movie role.

Actually, they are capitalizing on his role as the Gunny/Drill in Full Metal Jacket - where he made his mark IMO - and it works. It's not a mockery.

He IS effective, his DI persona DOES work.

It's not a mockery . . . . it's a talent used properly IMO.

Quoting Queso (Reply 6):
Oh, so THAT'S why ANC joined A.net.

Where's the middle finger emoticon when you need it (stored away in my "Do Not Use While on Mod Status" file).  grumpy 

Quoting L-188 (Reply 8):
Actually the thing about R Lee Ermey is that he was originally was just a script consultant for FMJ, but they decided that he should play the DI too.

And why not? Perfect fit. Why hire some numbnut actor, when in fact you have the real thing?  scratchchin 

Other than that, I see him in his role on Mail Call as the brilliant old soldier that's lightened up and wants to share his years of knowledge with people who want to listen.

Dangit, I should read the whole post.
 checkmark 
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

ShyFlyer

Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:16 pm

R. Lee Ermey's commentary alone makes it worth watching.

checkmark  I try to catch the show when I can. I don't think I've ever seen a boring episode.

It almost feels like the producers and directors are making a mockery of him for his movie role.

I don't think the Gunny is the type of guy you can mock and get away with it.  fight 

On a related note, I was watching Fletch Lives tonight, and realized he played the televangelist Jimmy Lee Farnsworth.  eyebrow 
I lift things up and put them down.

AsstChiefMark

Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:23 pm

Remember this? I laughed my ass off when I first saw it on TV. It was a Super Bowl ad, I think.

Duff44

Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:26 pm

Quoting Queso (Reply 3):
I really enjoy the show and if Ermey ever needs a stand-in I think ANCFlyer could fill his boots very capably.

What would old R. Lee ANCFlyer do on that show?

Run over a pile of watermelons in his BAFDT?

rotfl 
I'll rassle ya for a bowl of bacon!

Confuscius

Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:36 pm

His first movie was the 70s Vietnam war movie "The Boys of Company C". He also had a cameo role as a loach pilot in Apocalypse Now.

Ain't I a stinker?

L-188

Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:25 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 11):
Why hire some numbnut actor

Yeah, could you picture somebody like Alec Balwin trying to play the Gunnie Hartman?
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Queso

Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:56 pm

Anybody seen "The Siege of Firebase Gloria"? Not the greatest movie ever made, but Ermey also starred in that.

AeroWesty

Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:01 am

How stuff works shows are some of my faves, Mail Call included.

I see him in his role on Mail Call as the brilliant old soldier that's lightened up and wants to share his years of knowledge with people who want to listen.

checkmark  It's a great schtick for him. He'd have been stupid to have turned the offer down.
International Homo of Mystery

copaair737
Topic Author

Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:31 am

His role in Saving Silverman was pretty funny as well. I finally looked up his filmography, dude's been in a ton of films.

-Copa

zanl188

Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:55 am

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 1):
I love the old gunny.

the brilliant old soldier that's lightened up and wants to share his years of knowledge with people who want to listen.

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 7):
You talking about the same Gunny?

when in fact you have the real thing?

Quoting ShyFlyer (Reply 12):
I don't think the Gunny

I hate to be the bubble burster but R Lee never made Gunnery Sargeant. Medically retired as a SSGT after 11 years in the Corps.
Legal considerations provided by: Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe

ANCFlyer

Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:14 am

Quoting ZANL188 (Reply 20):
I hate to be the bubble burster but R Lee never made Gunnery Sargeant. Medically retired as a SSGT after 11 years in the Corps.

No bubble burst . . .

He was promoted to Gunnery Sergeant as an Honorary Rank by the Corp.

Therefore, Gunny is the appropriate honorific.

Awards and decorations include:

Combat Action Ribbon
Meritorious Unit Commendation
Marine Corps Good Conduct Medal
National Defense Service Medal
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Vietnam Service Medal with one bronze service star
Drill Instructor Ribbon
Vietnam Gallantry Cross with Palm
Vietnam Campaign Medal
Rifle Marksman Badge
Pistol Sharpshooter Badge

AsstChiefMark

Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:15 am

Quoting ZANL188 (Reply 20):
I hate to be the bubble burster but R Lee never made Gunnery Sargeant.

On May 17, 2002 he received an honorary promotion to Gunnery Sergeant (E-7) by Commander of Supreme Headquarters Allied Expeditionary Forces (SHAEF) United States Marine Corps General James L. Jones, becoming the first retiree in the history of the United States Marine Corps to be promoted.

Good old Wiki

zanl188

Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:23 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 21):
He was promoted to Gunnery Sergeant as an Honorary Rank by the Corp.

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 22):
On May 17, 2002 he received an honorary promotion to Gunnery Sergeant (E-7) by Commander of Supreme Headquarters Allied Expeditionary Forces (SHAEF) United States Marine Corps General James L. Jones, becoming the first retiree in the history of the United States Marine Corps to be promoted.

Honorary, Shmonorary -- anybody can be a powerpoint ranger and make up a nice certificate for someone who's done the Corps a good PR service.... Whats it say on his DD214/ID card?? SSGT....

[Edited 2007-04-02 01:24:26]

edit damn I gotta do a better job of proofreading!!

[Edited 2007-04-02 01:25:52]

AGC525

Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:10 am

Quoting ZANL188 (Reply 23):
Honorary, Shmonorary -- anybody can be a powerpoint ranger and make up a nice certificate for someone who's done the Corps a good PR service.... Whats it say on his DD214/ID card?? SSGT....

And in the fire service they make people honorary fire chiefs. What's the big deal? He's been a positive role model for USMC and always showing a positive light on not just the corps, but all branches of the service. I've always been a big fan of his, and being one of the very few celebrities I've met, he is one very cool and squared away guy.

Semper Fi!
American Aviation: From Kitty Hawk to the Moon in 66 years!

ANCFlyer

Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:21 am

Honorary, Shmonorary --

Well, I tell you what Zan . . .

You tell Gen. Jones - who later became Commandant of the Corps - Honorary, Shmonorary, and when he gets done eating you up and spitting you out, I'll be there with a small whisk broom and a dustpan . . . .

Ever met Gen. Jones? Hellofa Marine. Met him in St. Croix. Only by accident, not by design. That's another story.

If HE thinks R. Lee Ermey is a Gunnery Sergeant, and if the MARINES think R. Lee Ermey is a Gunnery Sergeant (with all priviledges of that rank pertaining), then by the grace of the United States Marine Corps, I'm quite satisfied that R. Lee Ermey is a Gunnery Sergeant.

Still junior to me by a couple pay grades. But damn sure senior to you I'll make the wager.

Blackbird

Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:29 am

You know, I actually can recite virtually that whole scene off memory, lol. My brother (Who knows all the words too-- he sounds more believable because he has a man's voice) had a friend who had seemingly every single audio-clip from that movie (Youtube didn't exist yet). His friend not only collected sound clips, but all sorts of stuff, including what appeared to be a fighter-pilot helmet (I'm not making this up)

Andrea Kent

KROC

Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:13 am

He's scripted to say Full Metal Jacket-style things like, "Where do you think you're going? Mail Call will be right back." That rubs me the wrong way. It almost feels like the producers and directors are making a mockery of him for his movie role.

Actually, they are capitalizing on his role as the Gunny/Drill in Full Metal Jacket - where he made his mark IMO - and it works. It's not a mockery.

He IS effective, his DI persona DOES work.

It's not a mockery . . . . it's a talent used properly IMO.

Exactly.

I like the newer commercial for this seasons Mail Call where the Gunny ges pulled over and his jeep is loaded with weapons for the show. Gunny starts showing the cop while the cop nervously calls for back-up. Funny stuff.

Confuscius

Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:17 am

Speaking of honorary, here's a couple of them...

6yr Old Becomes Honorary Marine

http://www.mcleague.com/mdp/modules....load&name=News&file=article&sid=62

Conway makes Chuck Norris honorary Marine

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news...007/03/marine_chuck_norris_070329/

Ain't I a stinker?

atct

Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:29 am

If the commandant of the Corp calls him Gunny, then by my mind, He is Gunnery Sgt. R. Lee Erney and I will call him Gunny.

ATCT
Trikes are for kids!

UALPHLCS

Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:31 pm

Time to retire, Sir.

You don't call him "SIR" he worked for a living!

Combat Action Ribbon
Drill Instructor Ribbon
Vietnam Campaign Medal
Rifle Marksman Badge

You call him Gunney, or Sarge, or Sergeant. But NOT sir!
A little less Hooah, and a little more Dooah.

UH60FtRucker

Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:04 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 25):
Well, I tell you what Zan . . .

You tell Gen. Jones - who later became Commandant of the Corps - Honorary, Shmonorary, and when he gets done eating you up and spitting you out, I'll be there with a small whisk broom and a dustpan . . . .

Ever met Gen. Jones? Hellofa Marine. Met him in St. Croix. Only by accident, not by design. That's another story.

If HE thinks R. Lee Ermey is a Gunnery Sergeant, and if the MARINES think R. Lee Ermey is a Gunnery Sergeant (with all priviledges of that rank pertaining), then by the grace of the United States Marine Corps, I'm quite satisfied that R. Lee Ermey is a Gunnery Sergeant.

Still junior to me by a couple pay grades. But damn sure senior to you I'll make the wager.

OUCH.

-UH60
Your men have to follow your orders. They don't have to go to your funeral.

miamiair

Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:27 am

Aw c'mon, they give that out when you for thirty days without catching the clap, drip or the syph in the Corps.
Molon Labe - Proud member of SMASH

copaair737
Topic Author

Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:26 am

Quoting KROC (Reply 27):

I like the newer commercial for this seasons Mail Call where the Gunny ges pulled over and his jeep is loaded with weapons for the show. Gunny starts showing the cop while the cop nervously calls for back-up. Funny stuff.

My favorite one is where he has all the postmen lined up like Marines and barking at them like a drill sergeant.

funny stuff.

-Copa

zanl188

Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:43 am

Please save the DI bravado for someone who's impressed.

Damn ANC don't tell me you fell for all this PR, & Hollywood crap. The man is afterall an ACTOR, and attained the title, Gunny, you are heaping on him as an ACTOR. I don't see you hyping all the other medically retired Marine SSGTs of his era as Gunnys (many of whom are certainly just as much if not more deserving), so you must be taken in by the Hollywood hype. The Generals I understand, they have to play the PR game - but you? I'd expect you to know better.

Do you really think these Generals would have heaped all this honorary crap on him if he weren't an ACTOR? Hell no!
Might as well make Dale Dye an honorary Col, he played one in the movies/TV afterall....

Again it's hype. Fall for it if you like. If you were a Marine I'd give you a pass on this but you're not.

You'd lose that bet. I earned what I've got on my sleeve and ain't none of it honorary.

edit: grammar

[Edited 2007-04-04 01:46:21]

AsstChiefMark

Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:52 am

Quoting ZANL188 (Reply 34):
If you were a Marine I'd give you a pass on this but you're not.

Where's the popcorn? This'll be good!

You'd lose that bet. I earned what I've got on my sleeve and ain't none of it honorary.

Aw, fuck! I think I lost a bet. You're a retired officer?

fumanchewd

Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:02 am

Honorary, Shmonorary -- anybody can be a powerpoint ranger and make up a nice certificate for someone who's done the Corps a good PR service....

What is your major malfunction, numbnuts?!!!!

Combat Action Ribbon
Drill Instructor Ribbon
Vietnam Campaign Medal
Rifle Marksman Badge
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey...

zanl188

Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:14 am

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 35):
If you were a Marine I'd give you a pass on this but you're not.

Where's the popcorn? This'll be good!

Marines, and their view of their Marine persona, pretty much require icons like Ermey, Chesty Puller, etc. in order to do what they do. I respect that. If ANC were a Marine and calling Ermey a Gunny you wouldn't hear a peep out of me - Its part of who the Marines are just like the red piping on their blue uniform and the cutting of the cake.

AsstChiefMark

Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:20 am

Quoting ZANL188 (Reply 37):
If ANC were a Marine

A U.S. Army CSM isn't good enough?

ANCFlyer

Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:36 am

I earned what I've got on my sleeve

And so did I . . . . .

And so did GUNNY Ermey

Have a nice day . . .

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 35):
You're a retired officer?

Doesn't matter, unless he's got a star he's still junior by tradition to me.

Thanks tho.

777236ER

Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:05 am

What I really want to know is, if an SSGTand a Gunnery Sergeant had a fight, who would win?

Better yet, I think ANCFlyer and ZANL188 should settle this the proper way.
Your bone's got a little machine

ANCFlyer

Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:08 am

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 40):
Better yet, I think ANCFlyer and ZANL188 should settle this the proper way.

Pistols at 20 paces?

Zan's an Air Force guy, no competition  duck 

Hopefully ZAN sees the friendly interservice rivalry here.

aaflt1871

Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:21 pm

And why not? Perfect fit. Why hire some numbnut actor, when in fact you have the real thing?

R. Lee Ermey coached Louis Gossett Jr. for his role as Sgt. Foley in An Officer and a Gentlemen which in turn won a Golden Globe and a Oscar for Best Actor in a Supporting Role for Louis Gossett Jr.

The man has done so much for the Corps since his retirement. The man is a instant morale boost for Marines when he visits.

Quoting Confuscius (Reply 28):
Speaking of honorary, here's a couple of them...

In 2001, Private First Class Gomer Pyle received an honorary promotion to Lance Corporal from the Commandant of the Marine Corps James L. Jones.

Also Frank Sutton who played Sgt. Carter on Gomer Pyle, who was never in the Marines but served in the Army, was made a honorary Sgt in the Marines for the work he did by touring bases, hospitals,and making p.s.a's as Sgt Carter
Where did everybody go?