Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

UALPHLCS
Topic Author

Bias In The Media Once Again...

Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:58 pm

http://www.drudgereport.com/flash.htm

I've made my views about the media pretty clear but this incident brings it into sharp relief.

I don't have a problem with the media presenting the news from a particular point of view, so long as they are honest and state that they are liberal or conservative. I don't think that as human beings we are capable of the objectivity that the media deludes itself that it can attain. So exactly what this guy SAID isn't the issue for me.

On the other hand how anyone especially those in the media can claim the media is objective when reporters can behave like this at a news conference with Senators is outrageous.

Exactly who are they trying to fool? The audience isn't fooled so they must be telling themselves that the media is unbiased and objective, because if you say it to yourself long enough you begin to believe it.

Its time once again to make that call for a balanced media. How do we attain it? By putting the Point of View right back into the report. No longer pretend to be objective. Be honest with your readers and audience and say I'm liberal or I'm conservative and report the news from that perspective. We'd have a lot more respect for journalists then. Journalism from a political point of view worked for decades in the 19th century.
A little less Hooah, and a little more Dooah.

airtran737

RE: Bias In The Media Once Again...

Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:06 pm

McCain heckled by CNN reporter
Sun Apr 01 2007 13:50:38 ET

**Exclusive**

During a live press conference in Baghdad, Senators McCain and Graham were heckled by CNN reporter Michael Ware. An official at the press conference called Ware’s conduct “outrageous,” saying, “here you have two United States Senators in Bagdad giving first-hand reports while Ware is laughing and mocking their comments. I’ve never witnessed such disrespect. This guy is an activist not a reporter.”

Senators McCain and Graham flew into Iraq and drove into Baghdad, making stops at an open market and a joint Iraq/American military security outpost before appearing at the press conference.

This is not the first time Michael Ware has taken issue with Senator McCain’s comments about early progress in Iraq. Last week, after Senator McCain told CNN’s Wolf Blitzer that he needed to catch up on the news coming out of Iraq, Michael Ware responded, saying:

“I don't know what part of Neverland Senator McCain is talking about when he says we can go strolling in Baghdad.”

Michael Ware has also publicly expressed his views on the war last year in an interview with Bill Maher, saying, “I've been given a front-row ticket to watch this slow-motion train wreck … I try to stay as drunk for as long as possible while I'm here … In fact, I'm drinking now.”

Developing...

Sounds to me like Mr. Ware is nothing but a drunk jackass.
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

Falcon84

Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:08 pm

Sounds like to me you guys are willing to slurp up crap from a right-wing blog without question.

That's what it sounds like. Stop you bitching. Iraq is a train wreck, and no amount of "drudgery" can change that fact.

You guys are incredible.
Work Right, Fly Hard

ANCFlyer

Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:26 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 2):

Well, Falcon, if this supposedly "Unbiased" reported for CNN did what is indicated, and did it while 'on the job' at a Press Conference, then CNN needs to spank his ass.

And I see the point of the first two posters.

The report may have come from Drudge, but you have to admit - of all the bizarre source documents ever presented here, Drudge is clearly more reliable and more accurate than 99% of the balance of them.

the reporter need his penis smacked.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

IAH777

Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:33 pm

Politics aside, to be a reputable, effective journalist one must attempt impartiality. I caught Ware's "act" in a segment on The Daily Show and was embarassed for him. CNN should dispatch that flake with all haste if they hope to retain some credibility.

AeroWesty

Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:33 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 3):
Drudge is clearly more reliable and more accurate than 99% of the balance of them.

It was Drudge who reported that the Foley scandal was nothing more than a "prank gone awry" by the congressional pages.
RE: Drudge Report: Foley Im's Was Prank Gone Awry (by Diamond Oct 6 2006 in Non Aviation)

Drudge often reports "exclusives" before all the facts are known. He's got a deadline to meet as well.
International Homo of Mystery

Falcon84

Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:34 pm

I look at it this way: if it were true, RNN...err, Fox News Network would be all over it. Went on their website. Didn't see anything on it. This would have been a story in and of itself with other networks.

Drudge has drugdged up junk before, and I think they're doing it again. Maybe the first two posters better realized who the biased media might be in this case?
Work Right, Fly Hard

Banco

Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:36 pm

Quoting IAH777 (Reply 4):
Politics aside, to be a reputable, effective journalist one must attempt impartiality

Not necessarily. There is a place for the polemicist in the media. It's just then the responsibility of the media organisation to ensure that there is balance elsewhere.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

dtwclipper

Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:36 pm

Does anyone have transcripts or video available?

It would be nice to see or read what Drudge is talking about.
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

Molykote

Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:41 pm

Sounds like to me you guys are willing to slurp up crap from a right-wing blog without question.

That's what it sounds like. Stop you bitching. Iraq is a train wreck, and no amount of "drudgery" can change that fact.

I am not the original poster but presumably the point of this posting was to discuss the lack of professionalism displayed by Michael Ware and bias in the media. It even appears that the poster doesn't have an issue with what the reporter said or what views individuals carry. Yet.....

In reply number 2 you're already made an attempt to start partisan bickering (I don't see what other purpose your comments could serve) and accused "everyone" (2 people by this time) of slurping up "right wing blogger crap" without question. Congratulations.
Speedtape - The aspirin of aviation!

AeroWesty

Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:46 pm

Quoting Molykote (Reply 9):
accused "everyone" (2 people by this time) of slurping up "right wing blogger crap" without question.

Who is the "official" who's made this report? Usually, in these types of reports, a person who attended would be named as a source, since the observation wouldn't qualify as "deep background".

ANCFlyer

Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:48 pm

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 5):
Drudge often reports "exclusives" before all the facts are known. He's got a deadline to meet as well.

I didn't say Drudge was irrefutable. I said it was better than 99% of the bizarre sources posted here.

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 6):
I look at it this way: if it were true, RNN...err, Fox News Network would be all over it. Went on their website. Didn't see anything on it. This would have been a story in and of itself with other networks.

Well, here's a tidbit from our copper friend in Houston:

Politics aside, to be a reputable, effective journalist one must attempt impartiality. I caught Ware's "act" in a segment on The Daily Show and was embarassed for him. CNN should dispatch that flake with all haste if they hope to retain some credibility.

He saw it himself. So there's no mistaking the Drudge reports semi-accuracy here is there?

No news media outlet is without it's bias. Period.

But this is over the top.

CNN needs to smack this guy down. Either report, or play activist. Not both, not at the same time. Inexuseable.

It's as bad, Falcon, as you would sy, as the "Fair and Balanced" Faux News.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

D L X

Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:49 pm

Well, Falcon, if this supposedly "Unbiased" reported for CNN did what is indicated, and did it while 'on the job' at a Press Conference, then CNN needs to spank his ass.

If what Drudge "reported" is correct, then I completely agree with you. The CNN reporter needs to be knocked down a peg - like to Fox News, or maybe Children's Television Workshop. He shouldn't be at an allegedly classy establishment that CNN claims it is.

I'm against media bias from both sides, but if you're on the right, don't even pretend like bias only comes from the left. (And don't pretend like having some dude on the right screaming at some dude on the left and vice versa fixes things.)

UALPHLCS
Topic Author

Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:52 pm

You missed the point entirely once again Falcon84.

Drudge, unlike CNN is a more honest outlet for the news IMO. Why? Because you KNOW what angle he is coming from. On the other hand, CNN hires this guys Ware, who has made loads of other public statements that lend Drudge's report creditability, but Ware is a "respected journalist" while Drudge is a right-wing-blog. How can that be? Simply because Ware claims his reports are unbiased? Because CNN says his reports are unbiased?

Throw off the mask CNN come out as a liberal news outlet. Let Fox come out as a conservative news outlet. Stop this pretending to be balanced or objective and tell us the news as you report it.

Why do you think The Daily Show is so popular? Or that internet blogs and media are taking over from traditional outlets? Media is reverting back to the days when there was no pretense of objectivity and the audience decided voraciously read both sides to form their own opinion instead of having it spoon fed to them.

As I made clear, I could care less WHAT Ware said and to whom or about whom. But I object to CNN telling me this guy is an objective journalist.

AeroWesty

Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:53 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 11):
I said it was better than 99% of the bizarre sources posted here.

I understand what you said. So who is the source who observed Ware's behavior at the press conference?

I caught Ware's "act" in a segment on The Daily Show and was embarassed for him. CNN should dispatch that flake with all haste if they hope to retain some credibility.

The Daily Show isn't a serious news program and shouldn't be taken as such. I am not defending Ware, I'm merely pointing out the venue. I could show you the video of Bush rummaging around the Oval Office looking for WMDs as part of the Press Club comedy act and come to the same conclusion if I wanted to.

D L X

Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:01 pm

The reason I could see no reports about this on Fox or other places is that even the people at Fox seem to have a mutuality agreement with other journalists everywhere - "I won't dog you out if you don't dog us out." I remember when I was in college, and I took a class where there were a lot of journalism students. As soon as the professor said something nasty about a journalist, it seemed every journalism student in the class shot up his or her hand to defend the person. From both sides! It just seems like it's a basic rule - journalists protect journalists.

Then there's Drudge, who clearly doesn't give a fuhh.

EDIT: I'm also inclined to believe the Drudge story because if he's wrong, he's commiting libel by naming names.

[Edited 2007-04-02 16:02:51]

AeroWesty

Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:03 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 15):

For the third time, who's his source?

ANCFlyer

Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:04 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 12):

Spot on.

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 14):
The Daily Show isn't a serious news program and shouldn't be taken as such.

Quite true, and I've so stated before.

That said: It was in fact on video, apparently. Can't argue tooooo much with that can we?

So who is the source who observed Ware's behavior at the press conference?

Other than the room full of other reporters, the two Senators, and various and sundry military personnel in Iraq, I don't know.

Quoting D L X (Reply 12):
(And don't pretend like having some dude on the right screaming at some dude on the left and vice versa fixes things.)

Welcome to Airlienrs.net Non-Av  silly 

dtwclipper

Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:05 pm

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 16):

And for the second time, did anyone actually see this press conference? Are there transcripts or video?

AC773

Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:06 pm

True, but the segments they make fun of aren't staged. There's no question that they're specially selected for their hilarity and/or absurdity, but they nonetheless did happen.
Better to be nouveau than never to have been riche at all.

AeroWesty

Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:07 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 17):
That said: It was in fact on video, apparently. Can't argue tooooo much with that can we?

So is Bush looking for WMDs in the Oval Office.

Other than the room full of other reporters, the two Senators, and various and sundry military personnel in Iraq, I don't know.

And out of all those people, not one person put their name to the story.

I'm more than willing to join in giving Ware a hard time, as soon as someone's willing to put their name to it.

AeroWesty

Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:10 pm

Quoting AC773 (Reply 19):
True, but the segments they make fun of aren't staged

Okay, you guys make up your minds. Was Stewart interviewing Ware or making fun of one of his reports. I didn't see the segment, so you'll have to tell me. Since The Daily Show has "writers", some of it is obviously staged.

ANCFlyer

Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:12 pm

Quoting Dtwclipper (Reply 18):
And for the second time, did anyone actually see this press conference? Are there transcripts or video?

And for the second time:

I caught Ware's "act" in a segment on The Daily Show and was embarassed for him. CNN should dispatch that flake with all haste if they hope to retain some credibility.

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 20):
So is Bush looking for WMDs in the Oval Office.

Might as well, didn't find 'em in Baghdad . . .

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 20):
And out of all those people, not one person put their name to the story.

I'm more than willing to join in giving Ware a hard time, as soon as someone's willing to put their name to it.

Curios isn't it.

dtwclipper

Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:14 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 22):
And for the second time:

I'm not talking about a segemnet on the daily show, I'm looking for what really went down!

D L X

Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:17 pm

I don't know. That's why I qualified my comments with "if he's correct". If he's not correct, then I have no opinion.

AeroWesty

Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:21 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 22):
Curios isn't it.

Sure is. David Gregory gets in Tony Snow's face, and it's carried for a full 24 hours on every cable and broadcast network. Ware supposedly heckles U.S. Senators and no one will put a name to the story.

BHXFAOTIPYYC

Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:24 pm

McCain heckled by CNN reporter
Sun Apr 01 2007 13:50:38 ET

...Anyone notice the date?
Breakfast in BHX, lunch in FAO, dinner in TIP, baggage in YYC.

airtran737

Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:24 pm

Quoting Dtwclipper (Reply 18):

Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

dtwclipper

Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:32 pm

AirTran737,

I saw that segment, but that is not a "Live Press Conference" is it?

Quoting AirTran737 (Reply 1):
During a live press conference in Baghdad, Senators McCain and Graham were heckled by CNN reporter Michael Ware.

What are we talking about? Where was McCain heckled? At a press conference or by Ware on the "Situation Room" with Blitzer?

AeroWesty

Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:38 pm

Okay, does Gen. Petraus regularly go outside of the Green Zone in an unarmed Humvee? Yes or no. Let's take these one at a time.

ANCFlyer

Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:49 pm

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 29):
Okay, does Gen. Petraus regularly go outside of the Green Zone in an unarmed Humvee? Yes or no. Let's take these one at a time.

Short Answer: No. I would venture he doesn't leave the Green Zone in a HMMWV at all . . . . by chopper yes. Not saying it isn't possible, just don't think it likely.

Although, with the newest anti-aircraft shoulder fired missiles being provided to the Insurgency by the Iranians, I suppose a HMMWV is probably safer these days than a Blackhawk.

Falcon84

Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:02 am

Listening to the CNN clip, I don't see where McCain is heckled. It sounds like the reporter cannot believe what he's hearing from McCain. Remember, that report is IN Iraq constantly, McCain is not. I think he has a better grasp on the situation than Sen. McCain.

Again, I think the bias is coming from Drudge, not CNN, and those who suck up such crap from Drudge are the ones with the bias, not CNN.

It sounded to me like the reporter is just astounded by what McCain said.
Work Right, Fly Hard

D L X

Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:09 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 31):
Again, I think the bias is coming from Drudge, not CNN, and those who suck up such crap from Drudge are the ones with the bias, not CNN.

I don't know. A reporter's job is to report, not to become the story. Reporting means taking down what was said, and making notes of what he observes. I can't view the clip here at work, but if he's asking pointed questions in an inquisition type session, he is not being a reporter. This wasn't a hearing, this wasn't a trial.

Falcon84

Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:15 am

Quoting D L X (Reply 32):
I don't know. A reporter's job is to report, not to become the story.

He did. Blizter asked him if McCain's words were true. The man was a bit dumbvounded-probabaly even a little angry that a U.S. Senator could say such an incredibly naive thing, but he answered the question, didn't he?
Work Right, Fly Hard

UALPHLCS
Topic Author

Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:27 am

Apparently, it was an official at the news conference. the way I read the report.

From both sides! It just seems like it's a basic rule - journalists protect journalists.

I agree. However I think the principle they like to espouse is that they are there to report the news and journalists aren't the news.

At least they aren't supposed ot be.

Of course this principle is another that lacks any kind of logic. After all we were inundated with reports about Bob Woodward when he was wounded in Iraq. So it's a selective journalism once again.

Quite true, and I've so stated before.

Once again I agree. However, there are polls out their that the Daily show is a prime source for news in the 18-35 demographic. This is troubling in many ways. On the other hand it just goes to show that reporting with a bias that is acknowledged gets you more respect than pretending it doesn't exist. Or that your reporters are immune to it.

Again, I didn't post this report to dispute what the reporter said or that he didn't have a right to say it. He enjoys the same liberties we all do.

My beef is with the lie that news report can be objective. It can't. And in my opinion if we want real balance it shouldn't. We the audience ought to have multiple sources to shop for our own balance.

Aaron747

Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:30 am

Quoting AirTran737 (Reply 2):
Developing...

Sounds to me like Mr. Ware is nothing but a drunk jackass.

Michael Ware is an Aussie...what more do we need to know??  Wink

In all fairness to Ware, he's really on his game when it comes to "getting local", as over the last year on CNN Japan, I've seen more than a few special reports in which he's broken down the players in the insurgency in extraordinary detail. He also had an incident a year ago where he was interviewing an insurgent leader and was apprehended by another insurgent group and his life had to be negotiated for by another involved party. His ordeal was rather intriguing.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

UALPHLCS
Topic Author

Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:54 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 21):
Since The Daily Show has "writers", some of it is obviously staged.

The newscasters have writers as well. I know I studied to be one for a time in college. What do you think they put on the TelePrompter?

CNN is now responding to the Drudge report.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSGc5Vkh_1g

The funny thing is to watch Ware say that the news was leaked to "somewhere on the internet." Yeah.

Then to say "if anyone questions me watch the video tape. Well guys as the "gate keepers" you do a pretty good job of keeping that out of the consumers hands don't you.

Again I don't care if Mr.Ware has a point of view. Just don't tell me he doesn't. I'm all for a media without "gate keepers"

stlgph

Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:17 am

Quoting UALPHLCS (Reply 36):

such a different tone than you're previously taken in this thread.

don't stop backing up. you've got several more feet to go.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

B777-700

Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:21 am

Quoting UALPHLCS (Reply 13):
Drudge, unlike CNN is a more honest outlet for the news IMO. Why? Because you KNOW what angle he is coming from.

And what does it say about you that you are alright with, hell, go looking for outlets who are going to tell you what you want to hear? It tells me that you want to be lied to.

As much as I can't stand it, I watch FOX too.

On the other hand, CNN hires this guys Ware, who has made loads of other public statements that lend Drudge's report creditability, but Ware is a "respected journalist" while Drudge is a right-wing-blog. How can that be? Simply because Ware claims his reports are unbiased? Because CNN says his reports are unbiased?

Ware is a respected journalist. He's practically lived his recent life in Iraq. Hell, he was taken hostage by Al-Queda and damn near had his head cut off! He's seen what's going on, and he's absolutely right to call McCain out on his BS.

Again, I have to ask, what does it say about someone who wants to get his "news" from a source that he knows is slanted, rather than someone who is reporting first hand.

Throw off the mask CNN come out as a liberal news outlet.

It's not. CNN is balanced. Hell, they even have that right wing lunatic Glen Beck employed. I watch it all the time and they are constantly doing stories about all the "good things" that are going on in Iraq that the right yammers on about.

I'd be willing to give you MSNBC tho.
If you don't chew Big Red, then @#$% you.

UALPHLCS
Topic Author

Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:21 am

Quoting STLGph (Reply 37):

Quoting UALPHLCS (Thread starter):
The audience isn't fooled so they must be telling themselves that the media is unbiased and objective, because if you say it to yourself long enough you begin to believe it.

Its time once again to make that call for a balanced media. How do we attain it? By putting the Point of View right back into the report. No longer pretend to be objective. Be honest with your readers and audience and say I'm liberal or I'm conservative and report the news from that perspective. We'd have a lot more respect for journalists then. Journalism from a political point of view worked for decades in the 19th century.

Really!

How has my tone changed in any way? I took that quote from my thread starter. So take my words and show me how I've changed my tune.

Then to say "if anyone questions me watch the video tape. Well guys as the "gate keepers" you do a pretty good job of keeping that out of the consumers hands don't you.

Again I don't care if Mr.Ware has a point of view. Just don't tell me he doesn't. I'm all for a media without "gate keepers"

What's changed? Or is it wishful thinking on your part STLGph?

Aaron747

Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:46 am

Quoting B777-700 (Reply 38):
I watch it all the time and they are constantly doing stories about all the "good things" that are going on in Iraq that the right yammers on about.

No kidding...I'm constantly on the defense in regard to CNN as an American. My Canadian, Aussie and Japanese coworkers never let up with the "CNN is just a mouthpiece for the US government" crap. They are as balanced as a network from the US is ever going to get.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

dtwclipper

Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:49 am

Quoting UALPHLCS (Reply 39):
What's changed?

What's changed?

It has turned into a "he said, she said" non-event.

Drudge has no source, and Ware has said he was not even allowed to ask a question ,.....where is the Video Tape of the Press Conference?

Who now is going to call out Drudge on his error? Should he be given the Dan Rather treatment for starting a story that had no merit and was a lie to begin with?

Aaron747

Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:58 am

In retrospect, this deserves pointed response. To be a reputable, effective public servant, one must also attempt impartiality, which seems to have been lacking in Mr. McCain's recent appraisal of the situation in Iraq. Ware stated that instead of outlining specific gains that have been recently made, McCain instead resorted to simpleton references. I find no error in such criticism, particularly in light of the fact that Ware has been living and breathing Iraq for the last four years.

stlgph

Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:59 am

Quoting UALPHLCS (Reply 39):
What's changed? Or is it wishful thinking on your part STLGph?

thus now you still have nothing other than your own bias.

*SHOCK*
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

D L X

Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:15 am

Ware is a respected journalist. He's practically lived his recent life in Iraq. Hell, he was taken hostage by Al-Queda and damn near had his head cut off! He's seen what's going on, and he's absolutely right to call McCain out on his BS.

I think anyone is allowed to have an opinion... except when you put on your journalist hat. Reporters report. While reporting, if you express your opinion, you lose my respect as a journalist.

However, this quote:

And what does it say about you that you are alright with, hell, go looking for outlets who are going to tell you what you want to hear? It tells me that you want to be lied to.

Spot on.

UALPHLCS
Topic Author

Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:28 am

It's amusing that you can't even see that you contradict yourself in the same quote.

Again, I have to ask, what does it say about someone who wants to get his "news" from a source that he knows is slanted, rather than someone who is reporting first hand.

You just don't get it do you?

Seriously, it truth in news reporting. They claim to be "gate keepers" They claim that you and I can't digest the news ourselves. That we can't get multiple sources ourselves and that we are incapable of determining a credible source ourselves. We NEED the media to do that for us. We HAVE to trust them.

BS. We CAN get multiple sources and determine who is credible and who isn't ourselves.

It's not a question of wanting to be lied to. Nobody wants that, yet that IS what CNN and the Broadcast news does. It lies to its audience and says "we provided news without bias." Clearly, this is unattainable, so finding balance is best left up to the consumer, not the "gate keeper."

B777-700

Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:10 am

Quoting D L X (Reply 44):
I think anyone is allowed to have an opinion... except when you put on your journalist hat. Reporters report. While reporting, if you express your opinion, you lose my respect as a journalist.

Agreed 100%, if we're talking in generalizations. Specifically, I haven't seen Ware do this yet. Seems like this story was "Drudged" up to attack a reporter who just made a fool out of a Republican presidential candidate. Ware wasn't even allowed to ask a question at this press conference. On the CNN tape, I didn't experience anything where I thought any one was heckling McCain, challenge him yes, heckled? No.

McCain's camp hasn't said anything. It appears as tho this never happened.

B777-700

Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:34 am

Quoting UALPHLCS (Reply 45):

It's amusing that you can't even see that you contradict yourself in the same quote.

It's amusing that that's all you have to try and defend yourself. I watch FOX so I can hear another point of view. You should be doing the same. You should watch MSNBC, and Olbermann to get a different perspective. Instead, it appears you go directly to sites like Drudge to give you something to say when someone or something challenges your beliefs.

Michael Ware called BS on McCains "you can walk along the streets of Baghdad" comment, because that's exactly what it is, BS. McCain has to say that to further the GOP agenda. Ware's reporting damaged that agenda, so they smear him. Just like Plame, just like the Swiftboaters.

They claim that you and I can't digest the news ourselves.

If you could do that, you'd be calling for our troops to come home.

BS. We CAN get multiple sources and determine who is credible and who isn't ourselves.

No, you can't. You want to believe that things are going better in Iraq. You want to say "I was right". You want what McCain said to be reality. Someone like Michael Ware comes along and challenges that, and takes you out of your comfort zone. That scares you, so you latch onto the first thing you can find, true or not, that discredits the other point of view, no matter how accurate or reliable or first hand that other point of view is.

Put simply, you cannot determine who is credible and who isn't yourself. You would rather believe an internet blog, one that you yourself admits is right biased, quoting unnamed sources, and something where there is absolutely zero evidence of anything happening...Over a reporter who has lived his recent history in Iraq and is seeing all of this first hand.

So you don't get confused here, I'm talking about YOU specifically as an example.

It lies to its audience and says "we provided news without bias." Clearly, this is unattainable, so finding balance is best left up to the consumer, not the "gate keeper."

That's exactly why I watch FOX as well. I'll decide what I want to believe is true, and CNN does the best job of being balanced this side of CSPAN.

You have admitted that you purposely go looking for outlets that will support your point of view. You don't TRY to look at the other perspective, and it suits you to attempt to de-legitimize any organization or individual that offers it.

UALPHLCS
Topic Author

Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:34 am

Quoting STLGph (Reply 43):
thus now you still have nothing other than your own bias.

That's not what you said.

Quoting STLGph (Reply 37):

I never claimed ot be unbiased. In fact I made the assertion that bias is a human characteristic and eliminating it is impossible.

You claimed that I was somehow changing my tone based on the response from CNN. I asked to show me how I changed. Based on your response in reply 43 you either can't... or you don't understand the question.

Quoting Dtwclipper (Reply 41):
where is the Video Tape of the Press Conference?

No actually he said to look at the video tape, so clearly there is one. However, will the "gate keepers" allow us in the great unwashed to see it? We'll see. I;m willing to wait for the tape. Be that as it may Ware's past behavior makes the story credible. But again, my point was never about the actual substance of Ware's comments, read it again and you will see my point was more to do with the state of the media today.

Which would you rather have:

A pre-packaged glitzed up news source pre-digested and ready for your consumption?

Or...

Multiple sources from various view-points unfiltered where you decide which is credible?

In my opinion it would be far better to have multiple sources honestly reporting the news from their viewpoint. If we can't eliminate our biases then its necessary to consume more sources to see if a consensus builds.

Oddly enough you accuse Drudge of bias because he is the sole source. Meanwhile you believe Ware eventhough he is the only source. While we look around demanding more sources. This is exactly what news consumers OUGHT to do with every story. By acknowledging bias in the media it puts the responsibility for being an informed person on us, the consumers.We have to find the sources as back up. No longer can a News Anchor rely on "trust."

I find it amusing how much many of you who claim to think for yourselves think that trusting CNN or NBC, CBS, ABC, MSNBC, or FOX is a good thing.

No apparently the only sources you guys think need verification is Fox and Drudge.

B777-700

Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:43 am

Quoting UALPHLCS (Reply 48):
Oddly enough you accuse Drudge of bias because he is the sole source. Meanwhile you believe Ware eventhough he is the only source.

Ware is there, Drudge isn't, end of story.