Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Falcon84

RE: Bias In The Media Once Again...

Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:47 am

Quoting B777-700 (Reply 49):
Quoting UALPHLCS (Reply 48):
Oddly enough you accuse Drudge of bias because he is the sole source. Meanwhile you believe Ware eventhough he is the only source.

Ware is there, Drudge isn't, end of story.

BOOM!

And with that, can this thread, and this so-called "story" be locked?
Work Right, Fly Hard

PSA53

Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:00 am

Quoting D L X (Reply 12):
I'm against media bias from both sides, but if you're on the right, don't even pretend like bias only comes from the left. (And don't pretend like having some dude on the right screaming at some dude on the left and vice versa fixes things.)

checkmark  FOX news and CNN are both a major challenge to credibility.Both should be taken off the air.

Image if if politicians start arriving to the conclusion that don't have to answer or respond to questions to major issues or they tell you to tune into FOX/CNN for their reply based upon political views.

"I'm sorry." "I don't respond to the media anymore." You guys arn't not qualified or creditable."
"A man a street can do a better job." Would you like the politicians to stop responding to the media all together?
Tuesday's Off! Do not disturb.

UALPHLCS
Topic Author

Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:02 am

Quoting B777-700 (Reply 47):
You should watch MSNBC, and Olbermann to get a different perspective. Instead, it appears you go directly to sites like Drudge to give you something to say when someone or something challenges your beliefs.

Who says I don't. I never said I didn't. You assumed I don't because it fits your preconceived notion about me. It's the same old same old from you B777-700, don't talk about the problem make it about the messenger especially if the messenger is me.

Michael Ware called BS on McCains "you can walk along the streets of Baghdad" comment, because that's exactly what it is, BS.

Actually in fairness to Mr. Ware he said this as well:

"It is not a sign of the real progress of the surge which the Senators should be talking about."

So Michael Ware does state there is progress. Progress apparently going unreported, even by Senators. Once again, B777-700 you cherry pick what you want to hear even when it's spoon fed to you by the media.

No, you can't. You want to believe that things are going better in Iraq.

Show me in any previous post in this thread where I said this had anything to do with Iraq or with the specifics of Ware's comments.

I'll use small words: This thread is about the media and bias not about specific comments.

I defy you to show me a quote where I say Ware is wrong. That I don't like what he said. That I believe something different.

Put simply, you cannot determine who is credible and who isn't yourself.

I make my living as a historian. I can determine who is credible. I look for multiple sources. I refuse to allow you to turn this thread into a debate about me.

Read what I actually wrote. Read it carefully and show me where I said anything like what you accuse me of. It simply isn't so. The allegation only brought up a point I've been trying to make for years. One that I argue consistently. That the only way for news consumers to eliminate media bias is to acknowledge that it exists, and that multiple sources are needed.

As a historian I was taught as an undergrad that history books are biased. A historian can NEVER take one source as the definitive account of an event. That source always brings in their own bias to the event. Every historian knows this. Which is why we rely on multiple sources.

However, the modern media especially TV and Newspapers want us to take them as the sole source for our news and information.I trust them to tell me if there is a back-up on I-95 or that a house burned down on 5th St. But everything else as a responsible news consumer, must be verified.

It is insulting to our intelligence that the media says to us "trust us." Give me you Point of View up front, I'll listen then find other sources. If what you say has merit other sources will verify it.

That's exactly why I watch FOX as well. I'll decide what I want to believe is true, and CNN does the best job of being balanced this side of CSPAN.

The funny thing is you are so blinded by your apparent hatred of everything I say you can't see you are already doing what I suggest. It's a pity really.

The only difference between that argument you made and mine is that I'm asking for CNN to acknowledge it has a left-wing bias which it currently refuses to do. Other than that you do exactly what I suggest ever responsible news consumer should do.

Yet I'm willing to bet that pointing this out to you will throw you into such a fit you won't even acknowledge what I said was true.
A little less Hooah, and a little more Dooah.

B777-700

Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:14 am

Quoting UALPHLCS (Reply 52):
The only difference between that argument you made and mine is that I'm asking for CNN to acknowledge it has a left-wing bias which it currently refuses to do.

Because it doesn't.

Anyway, I'm not going to go around and around with you. This is a non story. It didn't happen. You're arguing about nothing.

Look, seriously, I'm not such a bad guy. There has to be something we agree on...

Jessica Alba or Jessica Simpson?  Wink
If you don't chew Big Red, then @#$% you.

UALPHLCS
Topic Author

Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:20 am

Quoting B777-700 (Reply 53):
You're arguing about nothing.

Please understand this outside of ANYTHING that happened today. Ready:

Quoting UALPHLCS (Thread starter):
Its time once again to make that call for a balanced media. How do we attain it? By putting the Point of View right back into the report. No longer pretend to be objective. Be honest with your readers and audience and say I'm liberal or I'm conservative and report the news from that perspective. We'd have a lot more respect for journalists then. Journalism from a political point of view worked for decades in the 19th century

Now tell me I'm arguing nothing.

Of course it's nothing because your so narrow minded that nothing I say is worth your time.

I pity your ignorance.

Jessica Alba BTW

Falcon84

Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:27 am

Quoting UALPHLCS (Reply 52):
The only difference between that argument you made and mine is that I'm asking for CNN to acknowledge it has a left-wing bias which it currently refuses to do.

Is it a bit more to the left? Yes. Is it a shill for the Democrats like RNN, err, Fox News Network is for the GOP? No.

And will you admit that Fox is the most biased "network" in the U.S?
Work Right, Fly Hard

B777-700

Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:32 am

Quoting UALPHLCS (Reply 54):
Now tell me I'm arguing nothing.

The "Michael Ware was hecking John McCain" story is nothing. It didn't happen.

Of course it's nothing because your so narrow minded that nothing I say is worth your time.

It's not worth my time because you're wanting CNN to admit something it is not. Like I said, I'm willing to give you MSNBC.

Jessica Alba BTW

Agreed.  Smile

...But I saw her first!

UALPHLCS
Topic Author

Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:59 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 55):
And will you admit that Fox is the most biased "network" in the U.S?

Do they tilt right? Yes, I think they do. Are they the most BIASED in the US? Actually that depends. I think they do a decent job of bringing on folks like Carville and others from the Democrat side. Truthfully I don't watch FOX news all that much or actually any TV especially while I'm up in NY because I don't have cable up here. I watch DVDs up here. Mostly I go online for news . I have Fox and AP and CNN and others on my opening page.

Now here's the think, Falcon84, if Fox is tilted right, can you all admit that the others tilt left? and with SO many other networks Fox is simply one voice?

I mentioned this in the past and in the thread starter, which B777-700 conveniently ignores, I think that people where better served by the media back in the 19th Century when cities had more than one newspaper and the editorial boards blatantly and openly acknowledged where their perspective was. There were Abolitionist papers and Women's suffrage papers and Communist newspapers and Republican and Democrat newspapers.

It's a gold mine for historians. We can read the various papers about the same event and develop a fuller picture. That can not be done today. However, there is hope since the internet and those blogs some of you despise so much are picking up where the mass media has left off.

dtwclipper

Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:15 am

I just don't get you UAL and this entire media bias BS.

There is no dearth of media outlets, left or right, and if people can't figure that out, then don't pay attention to those folks.

I know the Detroit News leans right and the Detroit Free Press leans left, end of story.

What is it that you want....a crawler that reads: CNN we're left of center go OBAMA or Fox News; your source for all the fair and balanced good news out of Iraq?

If people are relying on one source of coverage and opinion then they are IMHO, not worth the effort of debate.

You are stating the obvious, over and over, and over again.

I read the NY Times, there news coverage is excellent editorial coverage is way left. I catch Fox News, and listen to Rush (on occasion in the car) to hear the other side of the coin. I read the Free Press, but don't pay much attention to the Detroit News.

What I hear from you, is that you want to spoon feed the population because they can't think for themselves....a very Liberal point of view I might ad.
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

UALPHLCS
Topic Author

Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:35 am

Quoting Dtwclipper (Reply 58):
What I hear from you, is that you want to spoon feed the population because they can't think for themselves....a very Liberal point of view I might ad.

Did you really READ anything I've written?

Seriously, I've said nothing of the kind. I stand by my previous posts. Read correctly they paint a picture of a media that should make no pretense of objectivity. Where reporters are as free as they want to be to report the news as they see it, and where we the consumers of news look to various sources for our news. Knowing in advance what angle the report is coming from.

To a certain extent we already do this part. The only fallacy is that some news outlets pretend that Bias is something they weed out of their reports. It can't be done. It's useless to try. It's a marketing gimmick to capture as much market share as possible by offending the least amount of people. What it does in effect is insult our intelligence.

The only ones in favor of being spoon fed the news are those who like the status quo. Them and newscasters like Dan Rather who think that they are completely objective.

1) No one is objective. It is an unattainable goal.
2) News should never be left to one source.
3) We are responsible for being well informed.
4) The media is lying to you when it says it's reporters are objective and or fair and balanced.

The solution is to drop the pretence. Let people report the news as they see fit and we can ignore them or take their word as we see fit.

Falcon84

Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:06 am

Quoting UALPHLCS (Reply 57):
Do they tilt right? Yes, I think they do. Are they the most BIASED in the US? Actually that depends.

Boy, that's equivocal.

Quoting UALPHLCS (Reply 57):
Now here's the think, Falcon84, if Fox is tilted right, can you all admit that the others tilt left?

I think CBS certainly does. I don't watch NBC enough to know. What I used to see of ABC News wihen Peter Jennings was alive was pretty straight-forward news, with lilttle tilt. I think CNN tilts a little to the left. I think FOX is so openly to the right that it isn't even an issue.

What's funny, is if you read Foxnews.com, or listen to FoxRadio news, which we get at the top of the hour here, it's pretty vanilla-just the news, for the most part. But on TV, they don't even hide it, except with their laughable "fair and balanced" nonsense.
Work Right, Fly Hard

AeroWesty

Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:12 am

Quoting Dtwclipper (Reply 41):
Who now is going to call out Drudge on his error? Should he be given the Dan Rather treatment for starting a story that had no merit and was a lie to begin with?

No one took him to task for the Foley story, why should anyone take him to task for this? Drudge isn't a news reporter, he's a gossip columnist.

I also find it interesting that no one's even tried to answer whether the Daily Show segment was an interview with Ware or a commentary piece on Ware's work. Guess I didn't miss much being out this morning.

But it looks like the bottom line is we have McCain overstating the truth. Drudge should be reporting that.
International Homo of Mystery

UALPHLCS
Topic Author

Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:38 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 60):
Boy, that's equivocal.

I gave you the most honest answer I could. I think some of the networks tilt left more than Fox tilts right. So your question demanded a two part answer.

I think CBS certainly does. I don't watch NBC enough to know. What I used to see of ABC News wihen Peter Jennings was alive was pretty straight-forward news, with lilttle tilt. I think CNN tilts a little to the left. I think FOX is so openly to the right that it isn't even an issue.

Based on this answer you agree there is a tilt. It just varies by degree.

The problem is that those reporters and producers at the networks you mention 1) either fail to see there is a tilt or 2) ignore their tilt and claim objectivity, which is worse.

My plan frees them from that.

AC773

Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:15 am

Once again, the blogosphere is way ahead of the major outlets on dissecting this debacle. The verdict? Mccain's people faked the story and sent it to Drudge.

DISCLAIMER: Keep in mind that this isn't the BBC telling me this or anything, so I'll be the first to admit that these reports aren't exactly ironclad. That said, Ware's colleagues are apparently backing him up in calling the Drudge story preposterous, and the second link has fairly solid video evidence to support that.

Alright, here goes:

Summary: Wonkette: Mccain's Henchmen Spread Dirty Lie about CNN Reporter

"Source" article with aforementioned video: http://rawstory.com/news/2007/CNN_re...lams_Drudges_charge_that_0402.html
Better to be nouveau than never to have been riche at all.

AeroWesty

Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:46 am

Quoting AC773 (Reply 63):
Summary: Wonkette: Mccain's Henchmen Spread Dirty Lie about CNN Reporter

You know, I used to like McCain, but I think this is his "Cindy Sheehan Tours New Orleans" moment.

IAH777

Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:57 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 14):
The Daily Show isn't a serious news program and shouldn't be taken as such.

Agreed. Its entertainment (much like FOX News), which is about the only way I can stomach politics. But he showed Ware's repor....er.....personal soapbox oratory from a CNN broadcast.

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 21):
Was Stewart interviewing Ware or making fun of one of his reports

Just making fun of him. I doubt Ware cares. He has a worldwide audience on a hard news network watched by millions and Stewart's show is a cultish comedy digest of current events. The fact remains, his ranting is poor journalism and belongs on fringe media, not mainstream.

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 42):
Ware has been living and breathing Iraq for the last four years.

That's obviously too long. No wonder he's cracked. Time for an extended reassignment.

AeroWesty

Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:33 am

Quoting IAH777 (Reply 65):
Time for an extended reassignment.

This may be the most astute commentary in the entire thread. I watched Richard Engel's extended report from Iraq on MSNBC last week, and while he's still level-headed about it for the most part, he's been there just as long, and 4 years is a long stretch to try to make sense of things you have no control over, and still report objectively on it so your audience understands the situation.

In the end, I'm astonished McCain would come up with some of the statements he did about the situation in Baghdad, which I feel were questionable, coming from the standpoint of 1) my not being there to see it for myself, and 2) so many others telling a different story. Even McCain himself went outside the Green Zone in a bulletproof vest and security team, but claimed that a number of Baghdad neighborhoods were safe. This isn't going to do much for McCain's credibility, and combined with his rather low fundraising in the first quarter of this year, may begin his downhill snowball for running him out of contention for the nomination in '08. If nothing else, after reviewing this story, McCain lost far more than anyone else did. He had great potential, and if Wonkette is right, he may be falling apart from the ineptness of those around him, along with his own perception of the problems we face. Ware will move on, McCain may not be so lucky.

Confuscius

Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:56 am

What's the scuttlebutt all about? I can't find the story on the website.
Ain't I a stinker?

UALPHLCS
Topic Author

Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:46 am

Quoting Confuscius (Reply 67):
What's the scuttlebutt all about? I can't find the story on the website.

That's strange the link still worked for me.

Anyway, as reported by Drudge from an "official" with the McCain group, this CNN reporter who has popped off in public a few times about Iraq, sat in the press conference and heckled McCain.

I started the thread not so much to talk about the specifics which really didn't matter to me but to talk about media bias and what to do about it. Which I might add some people still don't get even though I repeated it in just about every post in this thread.

By midday Drudge had posted CNNs response. Which was kind of amusing since no one at CNN would say where the report came from, as if saying Drudge was akin to calling one's mother a whore. But that doesn't matter.

By mid-day the usual suspects where slamming my ideas about the media even though in the next breath they agreed with them.

And it pretty much stayed that way until you came.

In the end I got Falcon84 to agree with me that the network news is biased in one way or the other. So all in all it was a good day.  Wink

Falcon84

Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:06 pm

Quoting UALPHLCS (Reply 68):
Anyway, as reported by Drudge from an "official" with the McCain group, this CNN reporter who has popped off in public a few times about Iraq, sat in the press conference and heckled McCain.

Still have seen noithing on anything more reputible than Drudge to back up your claim, which you take as Gospel.

In the end I got Falcon84 to agree with me that the network news is biased in one way or the other. So all in all it was a good day.

I said everyone has some bias. FOX, on the other hand, is completely in bed with one of the two political parties. I cannot say that about any other network.
Work Right, Fly Hard

UALPHLCS
Topic Author

Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:24 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 69):
Still have seen noithing on anything more reputible than Drudge to back up your claim, which you take as Gospel.

Hey man read my post again I'm not taking it as gospel.

Fact is he's taken it off his site which doesn't bode well for the veracity of the story does it.

But as I made clear the specifics are not important it was just a vehicle to spar the debate over bias in the media. I never not once argued for or against the Drudge report article.

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 69):
I said everyone has some bias

HAHA I knew that would get your panties in a wad Falcon84 and you didn't disappoint. You just can't stand to agree with me about anything can you?

CBS with Dan Rather was in bed with people in the Democrat party trying to make the President look like he dodged the draft. Remember that? Dan Rather lost his job over it.

So don't tell me that one network only is in bed with a party.

They all are. It's their bread and butter.I'm just asking for some honesty. Balance wont be achieved on one network. Balance is achieved by coming clear admitting bias is impossible to wipe out and reporting from your POV and let the consumers decide who they believe more often.

My question is who watches the watchers?

The Media like to wrap them selves in the flag and call themselves the "fourth estate." They make sure the government and corporations are screwing us over. Well who watches them?

The only ones who can are other media outlets. But if everyone is objective and they don't report on fellow reporters...nothing gets reported. So NBC Can fake trucks exploding, and CBS can fake documents. But multiple news organizations reporting from multiple angles and perspectives eliminates that because what better way to ace the competition then to catch them in a lie.

Falcon84

Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:00 pm

Quoting UALPHLCS (Reply 70):
Fact is he's taken it off his site which doesn't bode well for the veracity of the story does it.

But as I made clear the specifics are not important it was just a vehicle to spar the debate over bias in the media.

rotfl 

If you're going to take a story that was patently false to be a vehicle to spar debate over media bias, then you picked the wrong train, because there WAS media bias-from your source!

And that's not why you put it on here. You put it on here to bash the media that YOU do not agree with-and we find out that this was an overblown piece of shit of a "story" by drudge. The thing that people should be talking about, if you ask me, is what John McCain is smoking, and who fed him sucn unbelievable lines about being in Baghdad.

If he makes it to the general election next year, and Iraq is still a mess, you'll see that soundbite from CNN run in Democratic ads all summer. It'll make Kerry's "I voted for it before I voted against it" look like a minor mis-step.

So, you tried to bash CNN, when, all along, it was Drudge that has sludge on their faces; and we've heard nothing from the Republican crowd about the incomprehensible things that McCain said about Baghdad.

Two strikes against you, friend.

HAHA I knew that would get your panties in a wad Falcon84 and you didn't disappoint.

Really. They're boxers, and they fit just fine right now. You're only laughing at yourself, when it all comes down to it.

It's their bread and butter.I'm just asking for some honesty.

Honesty? When you buy what Drudge said without question? And when you can't even see how biased Fox is?

Uh, OK.
Work Right, Fly Hard

UALPHLCS
Topic Author

Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:37 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 71):
If you're going to take a story that was patently false to be a vehicle to spar debate over media bias, then you picked the wrong train, because there WAS media bias-from your source!

You know for a guy who I consider smarter than B777-700 you don't get it either do you.

I've been arguing FOR unrestricted and unfettered bias is media from both sides as the only way to get true balance and you say this. Bias that is open and honest not on the sly like the Networks do now.

At least the internet you know what your going to get from Drudge or the Huffington Post. They are honest as far as I'm concerned.

They may be wrong at Huffington Post or Drudge but you know which way they are going to cover a story from.

That is the whole point.
The one you and B777-700 are consistently missing. It doesn't matter if a news outlet is right 100% of the time. None of them are. But the honest ones don't hide or deny their biases. We all have them, they all have them, and it is impossible to get rid of. It's the networks and reporters who say they are unbiased and objective that are truly dishonest, even to themselves.

B777-700

Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:02 am

I was planning on being done with this post, but since you keep name dropping me (please stop by the way, it's very rude for you to associate yourself with famous people like me  Wink ) I thought I'd chime in again.

Quoting UALPHLCS (Reply 72):
Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 71):

You know for a guy who I consider smarter than B777-700 you don't get it either do you.

Quoting UALPHLCS (Reply 72):
That is the whole point.
The one you and B777-700 are consistently missing. It doesn't matter if a news outlet is right 100% of the time. None of them are. But the honest ones don't hide or deny their biases. We all have them, they all have them, and it is impossible to get rid of. It's the networks and reporters who say they are unbiased and objective that are truly dishonest, even to themselves.

No, you're missing the point. What we've been trying to tell you is you're wanting CNN to come out and admit some kind of bias, and you're using a poor example as your justification.

On the other hand how anyone especially those in the media can claim the media is objective when reporters can behave like this at a news conference with Senators is outrageous.

Exactly who are they trying to fool?

CNN was objective here. It's the media's JOB to question BS statements like the one McCain made. That IS being objective. But it disagrees with your world view, so you try and discredit it.

I started the thread not so much to talk about the specifics which really didn't matter to me but to talk about media bias and what to do about it. Which I might add some people still don't get even though I repeated it in just about every post in this thread.

No you didn't, that's what your CHANGED to subject to only after it's been proven that your original story is a falsehood. You started this thread as a rant against the "liberal" media and as a way to smear CNN for one of their reporters saying something you didn't like. Look at it again...

On the other hand how anyone especially those in the media can claim the media is objective when reporters can behave like this at a news conference with Senators is outrageous.

That simply did not happen. CNN and Michel Ware did their job. You bought the lie, hook, line, and sinker. Again, because people like you go looking for these things when the truth makes you uncomfortable. You want someone to tell you it's just a big "liberal" conspiracy.

The difference between you and I on this subject is you WANT bias. I want the truth, and I'm going to go with the guy who's been on the ground there in Iraq for years. Short of being there myself, he's going to give me the most first hand information, rather than a politician who has to push an agenda.

CBS with Dan Rather was in bed with people in the Democrat party trying to make the President look like he dodged the draft. Remember that? Dan Rather lost his job over it.

I want to ask you direct questions here, and I expect direct answers: Are you going to call for Matt Drudge's ouster? He just reported a story that have been proven false. To not, or to remain silent, means you admit that Drudge is just a tabloid level rag, much like the National Enquirer for DC, and not to be taken seriously. Take your pick.

Are you going to call for the firing of the whole "FOX and Friends" team? They reported a story that Barak Obama went to a terrorism school. Why isn't the right wing hopping mad over this like they were about Dan Rather?

So don't tell me that one network only is in bed with a party.

They all are. It's their bread and butter.I'm just asking for some honesty.

Please explain the Monica Lewinsky coverage.

jaysit

Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:06 am

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070403/...;_ylt=AgopKS1i4wGGO8Rt4oCBD.ZvaA8F

I say we flog these Iraqi ingrates for making fun of our dear darling Senator McCain, that maverick of all mavericks, he who is the paragon of all that is virtuous and true, he who knowest all that is meant to be known. I mean, clearly, Iraqis have no clue what's really going on in their neighborhoods. So how dare they refute that glorious hero of all heroes, John McCain?

BAGHDAD - Iraqis in the capital said Tuesday that Sen. John McCain (news, bio, voting record)'s account of a heavily guarded visit to a central market did not represent the current reality in Baghdad, with one calling it "propaganda."

Thamir said "about 150 U.S. soldiers and 20 Humvees" accompanied the delegation.

rotfl   rotfl 

Aaah, yes, indeed, it really is easy to go for a stroll in downtown Baghdad! Oh my! The yellow brick road to Oz really does run through the heroic and glorious Senator's mind. Or what's left of it.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

AeroWesty

Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:53 am

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 74):
The yellow brick road to Oz really does run through the heroic and glorious Senator's mind. Or what's left of it.

This whole episode reminds me of:

McCain is through as a legitimate candidate. No matter how many more appearances he makes on Leno.

UALPHLCS
Topic Author

Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:23 am

Quoting B777-700 (Reply 73):
No, you're missing the point. What we've been trying to tell you is you're wanting CNN to come out and admit some kind of bias, and you're using a poor example as your justification.

Falcon84 admitted there was bias in CNNs reporting why can't you?

I think CBS certainly does. I don't watch NBC enough to know. What I used to see of ABC News wihen Peter Jennings was alive was pretty straight-forward news, with lilttle tilt. I think CNN tilts a little to the left.

Which is why I'll have more respect for Falcon84 and his honesty that I ever will for you.

No you didn't, that's what your CHANGED to subject to only after it's been proven that your original story is a falsehood.

And you blame ME for believing what I want to believe. I'll show you this one more time B777-700. Please pay attention to where the quote comes from.

I don't have a problem with the media presenting the news from a particular point of view, so long as they are honest and state that they are liberal or conservative. I don't think that as human beings we are capable of the objectivity that the media deludes itself that it can attain. So exactly what this guy SAID isn't the issue for me.

Post number one. I don't know how it can be more clear. Your assertion that I changed my tune is complete BS. Right there in the quote from my original thread starter is the proof. So who is changing their story? Can you explain how I changed my tune then please? What changed from post number one til now?

I was planning on being done with this post,

Yes, please leave the intellectual discussions to those capable of abstract thought.

The difference between you and I on this subject is you WANT bias. I want the truth, and I'm going to go with the guy who's been on the ground there in Iraq for years.

The only way to get to the truth is to get more than one source. So long as the media has four liberal outlets and one conservative one we will never get the truth. You want you news spoon fed to you by those who agree with you. You made up your mind 3 years ago.

Are you going to call for Matt Drudge's ouster? He just reported a story that have been proven false.

Why because his source was wrong?

Let me see the Politico.com website reported that Edward's was going to quit, they were wrong. I don't here you calling for them to resign. Seems kind of one sided doesn't it? Probably not to you.

They reported a story that Barak Obama went to a terrorism school.

We've been over this there is a difference between commenting and speculating and reporting.

Besides. All of your examples (including Dan Rather's) I'm in favor of. Why do you think I would advocate open bias in the media and then condemn it? Don't insult my intelligence. Frankly the Rather case is exactly what ought to happen. Rather tried to get away with something and he was caught, by outside media. Rather's problem was that he stood by the report eventhough it was proved wrong. Which is why he lost credibility. Drudge pulled his report after it didn't pan out. Politico.com pulled their report when it was proved wrong. Rather stood by his report even when a mountain of evidence said he was wrong.

The coin of the realm in media is credibility. Being right more than your wrong. No one is right all the time. NBC, CBS and all of them have had their moments. Biased or not if the competition exposes your story as wrong, then you lose credibility unless you pull the story.

Bias works.

It is working on the internet, eventhough you deny it. Unless broadcast and print media get what the internet is doing, they will continue to falter and loss market share to the internet.

dtwclipper

Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:51 am

Quoting UALPHLCS (Reply 76):
Yes, please leave the intellectual discussions to those capable of abstract thought.

You have a tendency to patronize and belittle people who do not share your opinion.

You really need to work on your forensic skills.
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

B777-700

Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:56 am

Falcon84 admitted there was bias in CNNs reporting why can't you?

From what I've seen, there isn't. They call it down the line. They frequently do reports on the good things the troops are doing in the Middle East, and hell, as long as that right wing buffoon Glen Beck in on the payroll, you will get no such admission from me.

Which is why I'll have more respect for Falcon84 and his honesty that I ever will for you.

Oh you're breaking my heart! Big grin

So who is changing their story? Can you explain how I changed my tune then please? What changed from post number one til now?

Dude, I don't know how much easier I can make this for you. You cited the "Michael Ware heckling" story as your example of CNN's bias. The story turned out not to be true at all, and you now look awful silly for discrediting yourself. To save face, you say "well, they're biased anyway". Come on, you have to do better than that.

Yes, please leave the intellectual discussions to those capable of abstract thought

Say what you will, you're the one who kept calling for me. I'm flattered!  Wink

The only way to get to the truth is to get more than one source.

And unanimously, they're all saying McCain is full of it (sept maybe FOX, I haven't heard their take on his comments, tho I can prolly guess)

So long as the media has four liberal outlets and one conservative one we will never get the truth.

Myth. Like I said all along, I'm willing to give you MSNBC. We all know about FOX. The rest are pretty down the line.

You want you news spoon fed to you by those who agree with you. You made up your mind 3 years ago.

This coming from the guy who reads Drudge and takes it seriously!  rotfl 

It's funny you say that after I've told you many times I watch FOX as well.

Are you going to call for Matt Drudge's ouster? He just reported a story that have been proven false.

Why because his source was wrong?

Yea, exactly. Why shouldn't he resign? He did the same thing Dan rather did. I'm sure you'll come up with excuses, but I still would like an answer to that question.

They reported a story that Barak Obama went to a terrorism school.

We've been over this there is a difference between commenting and speculating and reporting.

FOX reported that. Remember Steve Ducey's quote, cackling like a schoolgirl: "This is...HUGE!" They stood by it even when CNN debunked it.

Not "could be huge"...is huge. Where is your outrage? Or is it OK for FOX to do it, and not CBS / Dan Rather?

I want an answer.

Drudge pulled his report after it didn't pan out.

What you're saying here is he can publish any amount of crap he wants, slander anyone he wants, as long as he takes it off his site when it's found not to be true, it's ok?

In the mean time, it gives the lemmings something to set their mind at ease.

No, I'm sorry, the damage has been done. You should be insisting on his resignation like you did for Dan Rather, stop with the excuses.

Also, if there's "four liberal outlets and one conservative one" please explain the non stop coverage of the Monica Lewinsky situation. Surely the "liberal media" wouldn't report a story what would make their beloved Bill Clinton look bad, would they?

UALPHLCS
Topic Author

Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:21 am

Quoting B777-700 (Reply 78):
And unanimously, they're all saying McCain is full of it (sept maybe FOX, I haven't heard their take on his comments, tho I can prolly guess)

I've never seen anyone as thick as you.

Show me in this thread where I have ever discussed the particulars of McCain's comments, press conference or Ware's comments.

Please I'd like to know where you get the impression that I was ever discussing the particulars of this. Bear in mind I showed you the quote of the original post on which this thread is based. Please.. if you can do that I'll say I was wrong.

This coming from the guy who reads Drudge and takes it seriously!

It's funny you say that after I've told you many times I watch FOX as well.

I also read the Huffington Post and Politico.com. Pardon me for being more well read than you I understand thats a strange concept for you to grasp. Unlike you I don't selectively rule out who brings my news based on my political ideology.

I want an answer.

Your a funny guy demanding answers when you are cogently given one. Read the part about credibility in my previous post. I can't help you any more than that.

What you're saying here is he can publish any amount of crap he wants, slander anyone he wants, as long as he takes it off his site when it's found not to be true, it's ok?

Anyone can publish anything. How more liberal can I get.

It is up to the consumer and others to prove it false. This was done to Dan Rather. This was done to Drudge. The difference which you obstinately refuse to see, is that Rather forfeited his credibility by standing by a discredited report. Drudge kept his credibility by withdrawing the report. Just as Politico.com kept their credibility when they misreported the Edwards withdraw. Just as NBC did when they blew up pick-up trucks.

In a market of biased media the credibility of the reporter is key, NOT their objectivity. Objectivity is impossible to attain, credibility is attainable and sustainable.

but keep trying to make this about me. It's really the only thing your good at.

Quoting Dtwclipper (Reply 77):
You have a tendency to patronize and belittle people who do not share your opinion.

I have an impatience with ignorance.

I do have respect for a number of people who don't share my opinions. Superfly, CastleIsland, even Falcon84.

B777-700 on the other had is a one trick pony. He never answers questions. Ignores the answers you give him. Changes the subject and blames others for doing so. Mostly, he hates. Hates with a flaming passion that doesn't allow him to see the other side. So even when someone agrees with something he says if he doesn't like them they're still wrong. He has made up his mind and is intractable. Incapable of seeing another point of view. So yes he is incapable of thinking outside of his own box, therefore incapable of abstract thought.

I pity him really, when I think about it. But most of the time I'm just impatient with his ignorance.

B777-700

Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:55 am

Quoting UALPHLCS (Reply 79):
I've never seen anyone as thick as you.

Show me in this thread where I have ever discussed the particulars of McCain's comments, press conference or Ware's comments.

Right here.

http://www.drudgereport.com/flash.htm

You bought what Drudge claimed as evidence of a "liberal media".

I watch FOX as well.

I also read the Huffington Post and Politico.com. Pardon me for being more well read than you I understand thats a strange concept for you to grasp. Unlike you I don't selectively rule out who brings my news based on my political ideology

How on earth can you say that when...I JUST SAID I WATCH FOX!!!

And just what is my political ideology? I'd be curious of your thoughts.

Your a funny guy demanding answers when you are cogently given one. Read the part about credibility in my previous post. I can't help you any more than that.

Oh maybe you can make it easy for my tiny little brain.  Yeah sure I'll help you...

Do you think FOX and Drudge are credible?

This is a yes or no question.

Anyone can publish anything. How more liberal can I get.

That's not journalism, that's trash. I want to know the truth, not what a biased outlet things about things. Yes it can be done. CNN gets it right in my experience. Most media gets it right.

Drudge kept his credibility by withdrawing the report.

I'm sorry that doesn't cut it. This was "reported" as a way to smear Wear. Drudge knew it wasn't true, he just let it out there long enuff for lemmings, like you, to have something to say when confronted with reality.

But you're not talking about that, right?  Yeah sure

B777-700 on the other had is a one trick pony. He never answers questions.

List the questions you have asked me in this post. Go ahead. I'll answer them. Here's mine:

If there is a rampant liberal bias in the media, can you explain the Monica Lewinsky coverage? I've asked this one now THREE times and you have yet to answer it.

Mostly, he hates. Hates with a flaming passion that doesn't allow him to see the other side.

Yes, I hate the other side so much that I watch FOX news all the time.
I hate the other side so much that my girlfriend and best friend (I was best man at his wedding, he married another die hard republican) are arch conservatives.
I hate the other side so much that I share the same beliefs on many core issues.
When you break down your silly little character assessment of me...the only thing I really do hate is...well, people like you! Big grin

So yes he is incapable of thinking outside of his own box, therefore incapable of abstract thought.

My professor who graded my junior year term paper on the existence of black holes disagrees with you! Big grin

I pity him really, when I think about it.

But you do think about me.  Wink

It's adorable, really!

UALPHLCS
Topic Author

Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:17 am

Quoting B777-700 (Reply 80):

Short answer Yes. Fox is creditable on certain reports when I watch other news organizations. Considering Drudge for the most part is a list of OTHER news outlets stories from around the world Yes. You insinuate I take Drudge as Gospel truth. Please cite your source.

Right here.

http://www.drudgereport.com/flash.htm

I don't have a problem with the media presenting the news from a particular point of view, so long as they are honest and state that they are liberal or conservative. I don't think that as human beings we are capable of the objectivity that the media deludes itself that it can attain. So exactly what this guy SAID isn't the issue for me.

Typical, B777-700. Once again you proved me right.

Please I'd like to know where you get the impression that I was ever discussing the particulars of this. Bear in mind I showed you the quote of the original post on which this thread is based. Please.. if you can do that I'll say I was wrong.

Ignores the answers you give him. Changes the subject and blames others for doing so.

Thank you for not disappointing me. Once again you ignore what I say by taking as little as possible to try and back up your assertion.

I want to know the truth, not what a biased outlet things about things.

And yet you continue to think that CNN is right down the middle. Even Falcon84 would disagree.

Drudge knew it wasn't true

Source please? Where you in Iraq? Oh I know you were in Drudge's office. Or are you making up the news. Drudge's source turned out to be wrong, you just write fiction.

If there is a rampant liberal bias in the media, can you explain the Monica Lewinsky coverage?

The Monica Lewinsky scandal is not relevant. However, some stories the media just can't ignore. What happens to the President is too big to ignore. On the other hand have you heard that Barbara Boxer had to resign her seat on the Military construction subcommittee because of conflict of interest allegations?

FYI I only think of you when people like Dtwclipper ask me about you. Do you want me to think about you? Are you that starved for attention.

B777-700

Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:40 am

Quoting UALPHLCS (Reply 81):
Short answer Yes. Fox is creditable on certain reports when I watch other news organizations. Considering Drudge for the most part is a list of OTHER news outlets stories from around the world Yes.

There you have it. You think both FOX and Drudge are credible, after all you talk about bias in the media. You have officially eaten yourself.

And yet you continue to think that CNN is right down the middle.

From what I've seen, they are.

Source please? Where you in Iraq? Oh I know you were in Drudge's office. Or are you making up the news. Drudge's source turned out to be wrong, you just write fiction.

rotfl  I have sources that told me that. I guess they were just wrong!

Honest to God, I don't believe you just actually wrote that! The hypocracy is simply breathtaking!

If there is a rampant liberal bias in the media, can you explain the Monica Lewinsky coverage?

The Monica Lewinsky scandal is not relevant.

Sure it is. You're talking about a liberal bias in the media.

What happens to the President is too big to ignore.

Ok. I'm gonna remember that the next time you go off on a news story about Bush's scandals, and accuse the "liberal" media of smearing him.

UALPHLCS
Topic Author

Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:12 am

Quoting B777-700 (Reply 82):
There you have it. You think both FOX and Drudge are credible, after all you talk about bias in the media. You have officially eaten yourself.

I think CNN and NBC and the rest are credible too. When I back up what they say with other sources. Which typically you fail to mention because all you want to hear is "Drudge is credible" coming from me.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070403/ap_on_el_pr/clinton_iraq_1

Here's a false story according to you B777-700, because I got the link from Drudge. Must be made up it was on Drudge.

I have sources that told me that. I guess they were just wrong!

So are you withdrawing the claim?

You're talking about a liberal bias in the media.

Hey B777-700 what about the Diane Feinstein thing? Care to answer it? It has more relevance than Monica Lewinsky. What next are you going to Talk about the House Bank? (Do you even Remember that.) Or Tom Foley's Book deal? Or the Keating Five? How about some other irrelevancies. Watergate, lets talk about that. Or the Teapot Dome Scandal.

I find it amazing that you can't comprehend what I'm saying. You just browse my posts looking for the keywords that fit what you want to say. You don't even try to understand me. I doubt you could even summarize my position so how can you possibly try to refute it. No, instead you just flail away and make snide remarks.

Here is a challenge for you B777-700.

I want you to read my posts and summarize what my position on the media's problem and what I think the solution ought to be.

I'm curious will you even try? I doubt it. Your more interested in putting rolling smiley faces in your posts that information. I've had more simulating debates with my cat.

UALPHLCS
Topic Author

Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:16 am

Quoting UALPHLCS (Reply 83):
I'm curious will you even try? I doubt it. Your more interested in putting rolling smiley faces in your posts that information. I've had more simulating debates with my cat.

Quickest way to get B777-700 to shut up is to challenge him.

Thank you for proving my prediction correct B777-700. Remember that talk we had about credibility? You have shown us how little you have

B777-700

Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:43 am

Quoting UALPHLCS (Reply 84):
Quickest way to get B777-700 to shut up is to challenge him.

Thank you for proving my prediction correct B777-700. Remember that talk we had about credibility? You have shown us how little you have

Actually, I took a neat little getaway trip to the Bahamas w/ my girlfriend. Spur of the moment deal. I hate to break it to you, but a.net was the last thing on my mind!  rotfl 

rotfl  <--- There's another, since you like them so much.

I come back to see that you have been thinking of nothing else but me. That hasn't changed.

Another thing that hasn't changed is you're still a paranoid delusional who thinks all the media is liberal, and FOX and Drudge are credible.

I stand by everything I've said.

End of story.

UALPHLCS
Topic Author

Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:16 pm

Quoting B777-700 (Reply 85):
End of story.

Yep.

Also typical of you B777-700. You bail on your own arguments when you see you've made a fool of yourself.

I want you to read my posts and summarize what my position on the media's problem and what I think the solution ought to be.

Come on? Won't you even try?

I know you won't but it's fun to be right. Especially when I'm right about you.

UALPHLCS
Topic Author

Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:45 am

6 hours since B777-700 has been back and he can't face the challenge.

He has been very busy on loadds of other threads but can't face a challenge to actually write a real responce rather than an insult post.

Congratulations B777-700, you have been excellent at fulfilling my expectations of you.