Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Dougloid
Topic Author

Maggie's Got Lymphoma

Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:16 am

My pal Maggie has been pretty ill the past year. Although we got her thyroid problems under control she's still been sick. She's content to spend the day in her nest, with occasional trips to the kitchen to snack and piss stops in her litter tray. So I took her to the vet because she's been puking more than the average cat does, they took some xrays and tests and I learn she's got lymphoma and has only a few months to live.

We've been pals for the last fifteen years. I'm struggling with all this.

Big version: Width: 640 Height: 480 File size: 77kb
Maggie
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

767Lover

RE: Maggie's Got Lymphoma

Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:18 am

I'm so sorry to hear this, Dougloid. I am sure this was devastating news. I can't imagine what I would do if this happened to my beloved doggie.

Big hugs....

KROC

Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:19 am

As a cat lover, I am very sorry to hear about this.  Sad Hang in there and enjoy the time you still have.

Klaus

Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:24 am

Sad to hear... Sad
I hope she won't have to suffer more than absolutely unavoidable.

All the best!

charlienorth

Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:29 am

Sorry to hear this....always wish we could have more time with our pets
Work hard fly right..don't understand it

mbmbos

Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:32 am

We lost our 13 year old cat, Franny, last September to lymphoma. It broke our hearts.

It's tough to lose a good friend of such long standing. I know you'll cherish the time you have left with Maggie. My thoughts are with you.

- MBM
"If I don't manage to fly, someone else will. The spirit wants only for there to be flying. As for who happens to do it, in that he has only a passing interest."
- R.M. Rilke

TedTAce

Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:16 am

We never get enough time with our feline friends. We must Cherrish it as best possible.
This space intentionally left blank

redngold

Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:40 am

I'm so sorry to hear this, Dougloid. It was just a few days ago that I was thinking about how my cats are now eight years old and that they will not live to be with me through the entirety of my life. We have to cherish them as gifts for the time we have with them and never forget that it is a privilege to care for them.

Pay attention to her and remember that your pain over loss should not keep you from helping her go gently when she begins to suffer. When the time comes, you might be able to find a pet loss/bereavement support group in your area.

Best wishes,
redngold
Up, up and away!

UALPHLCS

Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:49 am

Hey man Im sorry to here that.

As a cat lover and owner I know your heart must be breaking. My wife and I have three cats.

Littermates, a brother and sister, we named Rhapsody and Blue.

And An orange and white kitten named Ted.

Can you tell I was a UA fan?
A little less Hooah, and a little more Dooah.

DeltaAVL

Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:05 am

Oh dear, so sorry to hear this.

About a year ago I had to give away my two Siamese cats because they were wrecking our house. One of the saddest things that's ever happened to me. They always brought so much joy to my life.

I know I'm just repeating what everyone's already said, but just make some great memories with her before she goes and then keep them in your heart forever.

-Will

Kunoichi

Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:07 am

Oh god no...  Sad

I had to put my cat, Emil, down a week ago due to Lymphoma... he was only 2 years old however.
I'm so sorry to hear that you're now going through the same. It's horrible...

Quoting Dougloid (Thread starter):
She's content to spend the day in her nest, with occasional trips to the kitchen to snack and piss stops in her litter tray. So I took her to the vet because she's been puking more than the average cat does, they took some xrays and tests and I learn she's got lymphoma and has only a few months to live.

Was exactly how my Emil behaved and the exact same message I got (except he only had 2 more weeks to live according to the vet)  Sad

My condolences... if you need to talk, feel free to drop me a private message... I know how you feel.
-Janni
"Do you speak fluent Canadian?"

Femme

Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:01 am

So would I be, feel so sad for you. There's nothing that I can say to help except like the others have said - Give her lots of love and fuss. I too have an older cat that I fear I will loose soon............Like Janni I am here to help if I can, both of us know how you feel. When her time comes you'll have cherished memories........

Kind regards and thoughts

Claire x
Women don't have hot flushes, they have Power Surges....

AeroWesty

Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:18 am

Doug - I'm very sorry to hear about Maggie, and hope she doesn't suffer much pain through this. You sound like a loving, responsible parent to her, and I'm sure she appreciates your care.

My little furball and I send you both our best.

-Westy
International Homo of Mystery

Dougloid
Topic Author

Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:01 am

Well, how we met was really strange. Our first cat Zero had died of a stroke and I was really down in the dumps. I went to the animal shelter in Long Beach and as I was walking down this aisle between two rows of cages I felt something tug at my sleeve. It was Maggie, she'd reached between the bars of the cage and snagged my shirt. I guess she saw her meal ticket. We bonded immediately. She tolerates the other cats Zelda and Buffy and my wife. But she's devoted to me and always has been, which is quite a responsibility at times.
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

davestanKSAN

Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:24 am

Sad Very sorry to hear Doug. Maggie is a beautiful cat. It's such a shame pets can't live for longer. I'm really praying Maggie defies the odds and lives a lot longer than expected. All the best to you and you wife and family Doug, my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Take care,

Dave
Yesterday we've sinned, today we move towards God. Touch the sky....love and respect...Safe Star!

ScarletHarlot

Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:14 am

Doug, I am very sorry. Many hugs to you, and skritches to Maggie. Enjoy every minute of your time with her and know she loves you.

There is an incredible book out there called Cat Heaven. I forget who wrote it, but it makes me cry every time I read it. I know I will see Tabitha and Flash again one day.
But that was when I ruled the world

deltaownsall

Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:54 pm

thats terrible news...but be glad that you can at least spend the last few months with her...

my favorite cat died right before christmas last year at the age of 6 by suddenly drowning in the pool one night...its always hard to lose an animal with such a personality.

3DoorsDown

Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:29 pm

Doug,

I am sorry to hear about Maggie. Just 3 weeks ago I had to put down one of my Boxers, he was only 7 but one of the best dogs I have ever owned. Or was owned by.  Smile
I was afraid I would wait too long to decide when the time was to take him to the vet. One of my friends who had a lot of experiences with dogs said, you'll know. He'll tell you. One morning we knew it was time.
I won't bother telling you what I'm doing right now, but just love her during the time you have left together and know she loves you. Like Janni and Femme, if you need to talk, drop me an e-mail.
Take care and hug Maggie for us.

Bill

ShyFlyer

Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:48 pm

Back in September I lost my kitty after 21.5 very good years, so I know how you must feel.  crying 
I lift things up and put them down.