Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

teva
Topic Author

574 Kph, TGV Did It!

Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:35 pm

574 km/h it's the speed reached a few minutes ago by the French TGV! (in fact, between 574 and 575)
I have seen it "live" on the French TV
Very impressive!
Congratulations to all involved
Teva
Ecoute les orgues, Elles jouent pour toi...C'est le requiem pour un con

ltbewr

574 Kph, TGV Did It!

Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:52 pm

Wow! - that is equal to about 350 mph, faster than many smaller prop and turbo prop a/c. I have been on the regular TGV trains at 300 kmh/180 mph and it is like being on a aircraft except more room (especially in the toilet), no seat belts, no f/a's, you carry on all of your bags (no check in delays) and so on. If on the regular runs, they can get to 350 kms, that would cut the time of travel even more and reducing the demand for flying for short flights over land (less than 800 kms/500 miles).

KaiGywer

574 Kph, TGV Did It!

Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:55 pm

That's fast, but I highly doubt they can run that speed with a fully loaded train.
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

Klaus

574 Kph, TGV Did It!

Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:59 pm

Another good question is if they can use the train again after that...!

Nevertheless: Congratulations!

disruptivehair

574 Kph, TGV Did It!

Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:00 pm

Congrats to them...I was always impressed with the French rail network having ridden on it only a couple of times. The trains were clean, fast, and prompt and the tickets were pretty cheap.

I would love it if we could get some of those TGVs in America; I'd ride them. Heck, I wish we could get those in the UK; when I took the channel tunnel to Paris a few years ago we chuntered slowly through Kent before entering the tunnel, then were pushed back in our seats by the acceleration once we popped out in France. The difference was incredible; the French side was fast, smooth, and clean; the UK side was the opposite.

Well done France!

VHVXB

574 Kph, TGV Did It!

Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:11 pm

Quoting Teva (Thread starter):

hmm I wonder how much track that would require to brake to a complete stop from 574kmph

rootsair

574 Kph, TGV Did It!

Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:26 pm

It was amazing to see on TV how this train speeded up. I would have loved to be on one of those bridges where people watch the TGV literally fly by ! I filmed with my camera..sorry for the interfereces ! Cheers!

the next part will come as soon as uploaded!

[Edited 2007-04-03 14:29:03]
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

cfalk

574 Kph, TGV Did It!

Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:54 pm

As I recall, the last time the TGV went for the record about 15 years ago, the train at high speed severely damaged the tracks and they had to be replaced. I wonder if they managed to solve that little problem.
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

1stfl94

574 Kph, TGV Did It!

Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:55 pm

Vive le TGV!! And if someone beats the record then they'll still have the record of the fastest double decker train!!

HUYguy

574 Kph, TGV Did It!

Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:59 pm

Quoting Disruptivehair (Reply 4):
Heck, I wish we could get those in the UK; when I took the channel tunnel to Paris a few years ago we chuntered slowly through Kent before entering the tunnel, then were pushed back in our seats by the acceleration once we popped out in France. The difference was incredible; the French side was fast, smooth, and clean; the UK side was the opposite.

That'll change once the Channel Tunnel Rail Link comes into operation at the end of this year between the British end of the tunnel and London St. Pancreas.

Although you'll still feel the acceleration when coming out of the tunnel because I think there's actually a speed limit in force in the tunnel.

But I agree, we need faster trains in the UK. We have a 140mph limit in place on the East Cost Mainline, but that isn't enough.

disruptivehair

574 Kph, TGV Did It!

Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:03 pm

Quoting HUYguy (Reply 9):
That'll change once the Channel Tunnel Rail Link comes into operation at the end of this year between the British end of the tunnel and London St. Pancreas.

Yeah? The trains leave from Waterloo right now; they're going to leave from St Pancras? That's weird since that's at the north end of town and you'd think a train going to Paris would leave from the south end. Bizarre!

Quote:

Although you'll still feel the acceleration when coming out of the tunnel because I think there's actually a speed limit in force in the tunnel.

But I agree, we need faster trains in the UK. We have a 140mph limit in place on the East Cost Mainline, but that isn't enough.

There is a speed restriction, but it accelerated into the tunnel from Kent; it didn't slow down, then it put the hammer down all the way to Paris. It was wonderful; a great experience.

The East Coast Mainline should be much faster than it is; it's what we have to take to get to London and it's better now than it was a decade ago, but that's not saying a whole lot.  Big grin The UK could have such a kickass train system if it really wanted it.

rootsair

574 Kph, TGV Did It!

Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:04 pm

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 2):
That's fast, but I highly doubt they can run that speed with a fully loaded train.

The train was completely modified to break this record ! More numerous and more powerful engines and bigger wheels nothing to do with the normal passenger train !

Here is the next part of the Video... too bad youtube reduces the video's quality !  Sad

airplane   wave 
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

teva
Topic Author

574 Kph, TGV Did It!

Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:25 pm

The commercial speed on this line will be 320 km/h.
If we believe what they said on France 2, maybe it could have reached the 581, but the idea was to reach a number easy to remember even in mph. So they just broke the 355 mph barrier .
To reach this speed, they added 2 engines on the boggies, and they put additional tension on the power cable, to make sure they would have power all the time.
Here is a better quality link of the France 2 news than the Youtube captions
http://www.jeanmarcmorandini.com/news.php?id=4453
Teva
Ecoute les orgues, Elles jouent pour toi...C'est le requiem pour un con

53Sqdn

574 Kph, TGV Did It!

Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:28 pm

You know what, I travelled on the TGV in the early 90's from Renne to Paris. I was gobsmacked by the speed (approx 180 mph) and the luxury (compared to our lowly rail travel in the UK). I take my hat off to the rail system in France. Also, it seemed to me very efficient, clean and willing to cater to the traveller. This new record is no more than they deserve.

On the BBC news site, they compare it to another classic (though this time British).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/6521295.stm

Top 'ole France, top 'ole.

biggrin   bigthumbsup 

Superfly

574 Kph, TGV Did It!

Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:41 pm

This is impressive!
I'd like to ride this train at some time. I am sure many of these trains will be in service in Asia.

Vive le TGV!!  bigthumbsup 
Bring back the Concorde

OceansWorld

574 Kph, TGV Did It!

Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:43 pm

Quoting RootsAir (Reply 11):
More numerous and more powerful engines

As well as more energy coming from the overhead line - 31kV rather than the usual 25kV.

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 7):
As I recall, the last time the TGV went for the record about 15 years ago, the train at high speed severely damaged the tracks and they had to be replaced. I wonder if they managed to solve that little problem.

I don't know for that first TGV record in 1990, but in 1955, when the French made their first electric locomotives speed records, the rails were left completely zigzagging after the train thundered down the line. Pictures of them were kept secret for a long time afterward. All this happened in much different conditions. The pantograph of one of the loc was almost destroyed by the electric sparks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_speed_record_for_railed_veichles

This one is in French, but it can be of interest to know how it was in the 1950s.
http://bpcv.free.fr/page0.php

[Edited 2007-04-03 15:54:35]

UALPHLCS

574 Kph, TGV Did It!

Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:11 pm

Quoting Disruptivehair (Reply 4):
I would love it if we could get some of those TGVs in America; I'd ride them.

We do have the Acela.

The problem with Amtrak is that it is most effective in the highly urbanised Northeast Corridor which since it was the first part of the country settled has very old railroad right of ways. Long story short there are too many sharp turns in the Northeast for extremely fast trains. This is why Acela isn't as fast and has to tilt into turns to maintain the speed it does attain.

French law allows the government to seize property much more easily which is why they are able to build much longer straightaways and wide sweeping turns for the TGV.

Unless Amtrak had the money to completely rebuild and straighten out the railroad the US isn't going to have trains that can go that fast.

BTW I've been on the TGV from Paris to Lyon and back. It was one of the most memorable and pleasurable train rides I've ever had.
A little less Hooah, and a little more Dooah.

pelican

574 Kph, TGV Did It!

Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:34 pm

Congratulation!

Quoting UALPHLCS (Reply 16):
French law allows the government to seize property much more easily which is why they are able to build much longer straightaways and wide sweeping turns for the TGV.

Are you sure about French law? And how about Japan, Germany and Spain (which will have the fastest HST in regular service in a few month).

pelican

ozglobal

574 Kph, TGV Did It!

Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:45 pm

Here's the midday news from France 2 covering the event today:

http://jt.france2.fr/13h/ Coverage starts at minute 12:59pm in the bulletin. This link will be out of date tomorrow!
When all's said and done, there'll be more said than done.

rammstein

574 Kph, TGV Did It!

Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:00 am

A good quality video can be found here:

http://tv.repubblica.it/multimedia/home/636361?ref=hpmm
He who wishes to be rich in a day will be hanged in a day. --Leonardo Da Vinci

UALPHLCS

574 Kph, TGV Did It!

Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:00 am

Quoting Pelican (Reply 17):
Are you sure about French law?

In comparison to US private property law, yes. I have no knowledge about Spain or Germany or Japan. My suspicion is that in Japan part of the railroad was revamped because it was destroyed in WWII. So it was easier to overhaul. To some extent in Germany as well, but since the Germans were the ones who built the tilting Acela based on their ICE trains which apparently also tilt, they too use technology to compensate for the tighter turns of an older infrastructure.

However, the recent Supreme Court ruling may make it easier for Amtrak to declare eminent domain. But that still leaves them incredibly short on funds to purchase land and reroute the railroad.

Acela trains are the best we are going to get unless Amtrak becomes much more successful or a new system is built from the ground up like a maglev train from Philly to Pittsburgh that keeps being talked about.

pelican

574 Kph, TGV Did It!

Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:10 am

Quoting UALPHLCS (Reply 20):
My suspicion is that in Japan part of the railroad was revamped because it was destroyed in WWII. So it was easier to overhaul. To some extent in Germany as well,

The HSTlines over here were not planned and built until the 1980s.

but since the Germans were the ones who built the tilting Acela based on their ICE trains which apparently also tilt,

No, the standard ICE 1+2+3 do not tilt. Only the ICE T which was build for only modernised and not newly build tracks tilts and has a top speed of 230kph.

pelican

edit: BTW the Acela is based on the TGV and not on German trains.

[Edited 2007-04-03 17:16:43]

VHVXB

574 Kph, TGV Did It!

Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:15 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 14):
I'd like to ride this train at some time. I am sure many of these trains will be in service in Asia.

there is the Maglev in China which runs from PVG to the city centre if i'm not mistaken

ozglobal

574 Kph, TGV Did It!

Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:21 am

I have no knowledge about Spain or Germany or Japan. My suspicion is that in Japan part of the railroad was revamped because it was destroyed in WWII. So it was easier to overhaul. To some extent in Germany as well,

Please see the main thread on this topic under Civil Aviation. The myths about why HSR is easy in Europe and difficult to impossible in the US and UK are disposed of fairly thoroughly there: US has a three dimensional landscape, wasn't bombed, has property laws, values individual autonomy, etc. It comes down to a different way of imagining the economic landscape and return on investment. All other arguments are retrofitted justification of entrenched patterns of thinking and acting. If you WANT an HSR network in the US you will have one.

disruptivehair

574 Kph, TGV Did It!

Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:25 am

We do have the Acela.

I'm sure it's very handy if you live in the northeast.  Big grin  Big grin

Quote:

The problem with Amtrak is that it is most effective in the highly urbanised Northeast Corridor which since it was the first part of the country settled has very old railroad right of ways. Long story short there are too many sharp turns in the Northeast for extremely fast trains. This is why Acela isn't as fast and has to tilt into turns to maintain the speed it does attain.

Unless Amtrak had the money to completely rebuild and straighten out the railroad the US isn't going to have trains that can go that fast.

BTW I've been on the TGV from Paris to Lyon and back. It was one of the most memorable and pleasurable train rides I've ever had.

The TGV...and even other French trains...are wonderful. I once took an overnight train from Bordeaux to Paris, and got a bed on the train itself. Very comfy, but I needed the belt. I learned that after the first time I was flung off the bed onto the floor!

I don't see why you couldn't build TGV lines in Texas. Plenty of flat, cheap land. Y'know, in theory.

sandrozrh

574 Kph, TGV Did It!

Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:33 am

Quoting VHVXB (Reply 5):
hmm I wonder how much track that would require to brake to a complete stop from 574kmph

On german TV they said it took a little over 10km.

ozglobal

574 Kph, TGV Did It!

Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:47 am

We do have the Acela.

Acela is not HSR, but high speed technology imprisoned on 19th century rail. Caught it last Nov from DC to NY. Still much better than that dreadful short haul flight, but somewhat scary at times with the way we were thrown about the carriage when traveling at higher speeds. The conductor was thrown against a wall spilling food at one point.

This route is crying out for HSR.

ozglobal

574 Kph, TGV Did It!

Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:51 am

Did you pick up on the fact that the aerial shots had to be taken from a jet in order to keep up with the train?

EMA747

574 Kph, TGV Did It!

Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:52 am

WOW. Very impressive. congrats to all involved.  bigthumbsup 
Failing doesn’t make you a failure. Giving up and refusing to try again does!

ozglobal

574 Kph, TGV Did It!

Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:04 am

Quoting Disruptivehair (Reply 10):
Quoting HUYguy (Reply 9):

Yeah? The trains leave from Waterloo right now; they're going to leave from St Pancras? That's weird since that's at the north end of town and you'd think a train going to Paris would leave from the south end. Bizarre!

The chunnel link to London will tunnel under the city and pop out at St Pancras in order to link to the Northern networks and so attract a feeder population to Paris / Brussels and beyond. The original plan was grand: stopping BOTH Waterloo (more convenient for me when I visit London) and St Pancras with a lot of Eurostar rolling stock build for high speed northern extentions. This was all de-scoped on the UK side due to economic short sightedness. The shorter Eurostar trains were bought by Virgin and others to operate on their conventional lines (slow and dangerous).

Good news: St Pancras station will be really something by all accounts and the new LGV line will mean London - Paris will finally be all LGV and the route reduced a further 20mins to 2:15, city centre to city centre, in Nov this year.

AsstChiefMark

RE: 574 Kph, TGV Did It!

Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:25 am

I've seen a few of the 500 kph+ videos over the past few weeks. I love the way it sounds like jet airplane.
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

OceansWorld

Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:32 am

Quoting SandroZRH (Reply 25):
On german TV they said it took a little over 10km.

During the test, they had to make an emergency braking from a speed slightly higher than 500km/h (~312miles). The train used 15 km to come to a stop.

At least they could do it without opening the carriages windows like in 1955!

Rj111

Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:35 am

Interestingly the train was equipped with more than 25,000HP!

ThePRGuy

Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:51 am

We do have the Acela.

Which is a good trainset, but its the infrastructure that lets you down...
Also - aren't they going out of service?
Thanks
Alex
Heathrow has been described as the only building site to have its own airport.

GDB

Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:01 am

Congratulations!
A genuine advance in rail travel, what happened today will feed into the TGV network in time, maybe not at that absolute speed but it is an advance.

OzGlobal is right on St Pancras, pics I've seen of the near complete re-furbished station looks highly impressive.
Apparently it has not been a budget busting, very late project - which is why it is not, so far, reported much.

UALPHLCS

Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:03 am

Quoting OzGlobal (Reply 26):
Acela is not HSR, but high speed technology imprisoned on 19th century rail.

Yes this is exactly what I was saying, you just did a better job of encapulating it.

As someone who has lived most of my life in the Northeast, (Maryland, New Jersey and now NY) I have noticed that unless automobile traffic is almost impossible to deal with Americans don't want to deal with rail.

It's weird, considering that up until the Eisenhower adminstration and the Interstate Highway system the US was a railroad nation.

However, all three areas I've lived in have terrible traffic problems. Washington DC and NYC traffic is legendary.The rail infrastructure has been built to help.

It is my understanding the Acela has to slow way down NYC to Boston where the rail infrastrcuture is very old.

Quoting Pelican (Reply 21):
BTW the Acela is based on the TGV and not on German trains.

Is it a hybrid then? All of the stuff I read about Acela was that it was based on ICE. I know it looks like a TGV.

I'm all from rail. But it's real value is for trips of three or four hundred miles. I wouldn't want to ride the train to Chicago from Philadelphia, or from Chicago to LA.

OceansWorld

Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:20 am

Quoting UALPHLCS (Reply 35):
All of the stuff I read about Acela was that it was based on ICE. I know it looks like a TGV.

At least one technical detail makes it look like an ICE, its the wheels configuration. Where on the TGV there's only one truck in between two cars, the ICE has two trucks for each cars.

JakeOrion

Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:24 am

Very impressive for a train! Around 357.2 MPH, holy cow!

I wish the US would focus on more rail transportation. In fact, Bombardier developed a jet train locomotive for this purpose, but sadly the concept never took off.

Big version: Width: 500 Height: 203 File size: 16kb

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JetTrain
Every problem has a simple solution; finding the simple solution is the difficult problem.

Superfly

Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:34 am

Quoting JakeOrion (Reply 37):
but sadly the concept never took off.

Well it's not supposed to. It should stay on the tracks.  Smile

Ok that was a corny joke! Big grin

Silly question. Can you walk around on these trains when it is at this speed?
If it feels like a jet at takeoff, I imagine it would be difficult to walk around,
Bring back the Concorde

ozglobal

Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:50 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 38):

Silly question. Can you walk around on these trains when it is at this speed?
If it feels like a jet at takeoff, I imagine it would be difficult to walk around,

The TGV on LGV (HS line) is extremely smooth and quiet, at least at 300km/h. At 575, I imagine there's a little more noise, but the acceleration and deceleration is gradual, so you should be able to walk around still.

Superfly

Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:59 am

Quoting OzGlobal (Reply 39):
The TGV on LGV (HS line) is extremely smooth and quiet, at least at 300km/h. At 575, I imagine there's a little more noise, but the acceleration and deceleration is gradual, so you should be able to walk around still.

Thanks for the info.
Is this the same kind of technology that the MTR system in Hong Kong uses?
Bring back the Concorde

andz

Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:04 am

Quoting Pelican (Reply 21):
Only the ICE T which was build for only modernised and not newly build tracks tilts and has a top speed of 230kph.

I have been on an ICE doing over 300km/h and it definitely tilted.

After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

Marcus

Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:33 am

Would there be any more "corridors" in the US where such technology could be used, I know about the Acela on the northeastern part of the country but could there be any others?......how about.

San Diego-Los Angeles-San Francisco or
Los Angeles-Las Vegas or
Chicago-Detroit

Would those be feasible if the demand is there?
Kids!....we are going to the happiest place on earth...TIJUANA! signed: Krusty the Clown

disruptivehair

Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:43 am

Quoting OzGlobal (Reply 29):

Good news: St Pancras station will be really something by all accounts and the new LGV line will mean London - Paris will finally be all LGV and the route reduced a further 20mins to 2:15, city centre to city centre, in Nov this year.

Too bad we'll be gone by then...the Eurostar is quite a train.

Quoting Marcus (Reply 42):
Would there be any more "corridors" in the US where such technology could be used, I know about the Acela on the northeastern part of the country but could there be any others?......how about.

Los Angeles-Las Vegas or
Chicago-Detroit

Would those be feasible if the demand is there?

There are already trains running between San Diego and Los Angeles.  bigthumbsup  They seemed pretty popular with commuters.

http://www.amtrakcalifornia.com/rail...routes/pacific_surfliner/index.cfm

UALPHLCS

Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:46 am

I think you hit on why it doesn't do well in the US. Certain point to point routes would work well. You mentioned a few. Philadelphia Pittsburgh is another frequently mentioned.

But the expense needs to be spread over a network that supports its self and those point to point routes are to far apart ot support one another.

TedTAce

Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:53 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 3):
Another good question is if they can use the train again after that...!

It's not a MIg 25.  Wow!
This space intentionally left blank

Marcus

Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:20 am

Quoting Disruptivehair (Reply 43):
There are already trains running between San Diego and Los Angeles. They seemed pretty popular with commuters.

http://www.amtrakcalifornia.com/rail...x.cfm

Yes I know this, but these are commuter trains and not in the same league as an ICE or a TGV......I think that a California north-south corridor would work, would the demand be there to compensate for the massive infrastructure needed that is a different story.

Think about it, right now you have to be at the airport 2 hours before your 50 minute flight from SAN to LAX, or your 1:30 hour flight from SAN to SFO.......on a high speed train link in California were could you be in 3 hours?

This idea of high speed rail link in Mexico linking MEX-QRO-GDL has been on the drawing board for years, it is the massive investment needed and the good bus links between these cities that have made this project less viable.
Kids!....we are going to the happiest place on earth...TIJUANA! signed: Krusty the Clown

flyingbabydoc

Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:40 am

Quoting Teva (Thread starter):
574 km/h it's the speed reached a few minutes ago by the French TGV! (in fact, between 574 and 575)

Can you imagine how much faster it would go if it were made with German technology????  duck   duck 

Impressive anyways!

Alex
Marriage is the art of turning a lover into a relative

JakeOrion

Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:44 am

One little problem: The Rocky Mountains. There is no way a high speed train can navigate through those mountains on the current system. Also, these trains would have to be electrified, as any pollution admissions would be unacceptable due to the extremely long length some of the tunnels that would have to be built (therefore, built up of CO2 etc). There are other problems as well (no electricity in the middle of the Great Plains, etc.)

There are ways around this, but the costs would be staggering.
Every problem has a simple solution; finding the simple solution is the difficult problem.

Superfly

Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:53 am

Los Angeles-Las Vegas or

HELL YES!  yes 
A high speed rail between San Francisco and Los Angeles would do very well.
To drive between the two cities can be a real headache.
Bring back the Concorde