Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

2H4
Topic Author

The US - Why No Cool/Unique Cell Phones Available?

Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:11 pm

So, it looks like my company is going to be providing me with a cell phone. I've started shopping, and am finding that all the phones look the same. It's as though there are only three or four types sold. Compare our selection with that of Japan, for example, and it seems as though they've got hundreds of types and styles available.

My current phone is a Motorola V70:

I love it. I'm into design, so I appreciate the unique look. In five years, I've only encountered two others with the same model.

I'd keep it, but I've just moved, and the coverage is poor in my area. Also, my company provides Cingular to it's employees.

My question is this:

Is there any way to find cool/unique cell phones that are compatible with Cingular? I find all of Cingular's current offerings rather boring and generic.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

mdsh00

RE: The US - Why No Cool/Unique Cell Phones Available?

Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:25 pm

Because unlike Europe, the competition of multiple carriers actually kept us in the stone ages in cell phone technology. European carriers were allowing sending international text messages before US carriers weren't even allowing text messages to be sent outside of your provider's network. Also the fact that there are still 3 different bands: GSM, CDMA (the best one in my opinion), and TDMA. Europe and most of Asia ended up standardizing GSM technology, while the US is split between GSM (T-mobile and Cingular...well AT&T now), and CDMA (Verizon and Sprint). Because of this, cell phone technology took off faster in Europe and Asia, which is why their cell phones are more advanced than ours.

AsstChiefMark

Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:29 pm

A cell phone is a phone. It's not supposed to be some magical do-it-all miracle toy. I prefer my phone (a Nextel i560) be rugged and crashproof. The more rubber padding the better. The fewer moving parts the better. The fewer breakable plastic parts the better.

Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

102IAHexpress

Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:29 pm

Well all the cool phones come out in Europe first. So if you want one of those cool phones you’re going to have to buy an unlocked European phone from eBay or someplace like that. IMO SonyEricsson makes the best phones. The SE K800i takes the best photos of any camera phone on the market. The SE W950i is basically an apple iPhone but better.

http://www.sonyericsson.com/spg.jsp?...0&template=pp1&zone=pp#view=phones

2H4
Topic Author

Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:42 pm

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 2):
A cell phone is a phone. It's not supposed to be some magical do-it-all miracle toy.

If I suggested otherwise, I didn't mean to....

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

LASoctoberB6

Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:03 pm

Quoting 2H4 (Thread starter):
I find all of Cingular's current offerings rather boring and generic.

hmmm...Cingular, huh? well im eligible for an upgrade from my Sony Ericsson W600i (a really great phone IMO) and i went to look for a nice new phone and when i got there, guess what i saw.....Motorola x15 (all RAZRs and L4s and what not) old blocky (very unappealing) and Pantech C3s....lets just say ill be keepin my phone fer quite some time....motorola has killed the market with their phones, and i cant stand the ones they have (everybody has them, theres no uniqueness!!) so i guess were in the same boat, 2H4 we just gotta wait for some good ones (if that ever happens)........
[NOT IN SERVICE] {WEStJet}

3DoorsDown

Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:18 pm

Go to China. They have phones over there that I still have not seen in the US, and that was 5 months ago when I looked at them. If you like a phone and don't want it because everyone has it, who cares. I have a V3iEdge I picked up over there, that looks like every other RAZR but I like it. It's slim and works great. And between that phone and T-Mobile's pay as you go plan, I have yet to have a dropped call in the US or between the US and China.

VonRichtofen

Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:37 pm

Yeah North America is really behind with phones. I'd say around 5 years behind Europe. One thing I hate is how simple minded things are here. If you want a phone that plays Mp3's then you have to get your providers "Mp3 phone" etc. In Europe pretty much every phone does everything.

Just another example of Europe and Asia leaving us in the dust.

Kris

KaiGywer

Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:59 pm

Make Westy and STLGph proud  Wink

Dolce & Gabbana Razr
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

JAL777

Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:12 pm

Quoting 102IAHexpress (Reply 3):
Well all the cool phones come out in Europe first.

No. They come out in Asia first.

The Japanese cellular network is lightyears ahead of anyone elses so don't even bother looking there for a phone... it's incompatible with the US (or anywhere else for that matter.)

The problems in the US are, as already noted, different cellular technolgies and simple geography - the networks have great coverage in the cities but the US is sparsley populated pretty much everywhere else so the incentive for improvements just isn't there.

The great thing about GSM is that I can pretty much buy any phone I want, pop in my sim card, and it works. You can also travel pretty much anywhere with it working. I'm in Hong Kong right now and my USA T-Mobile phone has been great. I also picked up a new SE K790a yesterday.  Smile

KaiGywer

Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:16 pm

Quoting JAL777 (Reply 9):
The great thing about GSM is that I can pretty much buy any phone I want, pop in my sim card, and it works. You can also travel pretty much anywhere with it working.

Exactly. This is my opinion and experience too.

Quoting Mdsh00 (Reply 1):
CDMA (the best one in my opinion)

Why? It's only good in the US.
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

bill142

Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:18 pm

The Japanese cellular network is lightyears ahead of anyone elses so don't even bother looking there for a phone... it's incompatible with the US (or anywhere else for that matter.)

Not really. They use a WCDMA/UTMS which has become the 3G standard for the rest of the world.

lincoln

Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:30 pm

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 8):

That is soooo 2006  Smile

My trusty (company provided) V710 died (or rather had a seizure and was never quite the same). I was looking at either the RAZR or KRZR and as far as I could tell the KRZR had all of the features of the RAZR plus a few new ones in a smaller package that feels more substatial.

But no, you can't get it in D&B gold...yet.

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

disruptivehair

Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:32 pm

Quoting VonRichtofen (Reply 7):
Just another example of Europe and Asia leaving us in the dust.

Where else does Europe leave us in the dust besides cell phones?

KaiGywer

Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:35 pm

Quoting Lincoln (Reply 12):
That is soooo 2006

Doh! I should have known that  banghead 

:D

How about the Signature Cobra? Price tag... $310,000..

Vertu is now taking orders (but only 8 of them) for the Signature Cobra, designed by French jeweler Boucheron. The Cobra features one pear-cut diamond, one round white diamond, two emerald eyes and 439 rubies. A somewhat cheaper version - the $115,000 Signature Python - is ruby-free. But you better buy now: Vertu says only 26 Pythons will be made.
Eight designer cell phones of 2007

tz757300

Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:35 am

Quoting 2H4 (Thread starter):

Yeah, too bad the software in that phone is outdated. I had that in my phone 4 yrs ago, lol

But yeah, there are pretty basic designs over here, but they work. If you want a super cool phone, buy it off the internet.

LASoctoberB6

Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:20 am

is there anyway to buy an unlocked phone? and, is there anyway to change a phone's OS?

rammstein

Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:58 am

Quoting Disruptivehair (Reply 13):

Culinary Traditions  Silly  duck 
He who wishes to be rich in a day will be hanged in a day. --Leonardo Da Vinci

walter747

RE: The US - Why No Cool/Unique Cell Phones Availa

Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:41 am

Heres one for you.....

the back

the front

biggrin  duck 
Hussel, Hussel, Husel, Grind, Grind, Grind

Charger

Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:32 am

Quoting 102IAHexpress (Reply 3):
Well all the cool phones come out in Europe first.

Not for long Big grin

Quoting 3DoorsDown (Reply 6):
Go to China. They have phones over there that I still have not seen in the US, and that was 5 months ago

Just wait about a year!!! Big grin

Quoting VonRichtofen (Reply 7):
Yeah North America is really behind with phones.

Trust me not for long....

The Japanese cellular network is lightyears ahead of anyone elses

Again not for long...

tz757300

Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:40 am

Quoting Charger (Reply 19):
Not for long Big grin

Just wait about a year!!! Big grin

Again not for long...

So what do you know that everyone else doesnt?

Charger

Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:57 am

Quoting TZ757300 (Reply 20):
So what do you know that everyone else doesnt?

Just what's being worked on, and it's very impressive..

tz757300

Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:05 am

Quoting Charger (Reply 21):

Maybe shed some light on this "impressiveness"?

mham001

Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:40 am

Who thinks that if the manufacturers thought there was a market, they wouldn't enter all the super phones in this market. What their focus studies and sales tell them is that people aren't much interested in too many features. They mostly want just a phone. They rarely use cameras and do you really consider the internet a worthwhile experience on a 1" screen? I have tv service included and have never used it. They have been late to the party with texting though.

AsstChiefMark

Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:43 am

Quoting Mham001 (Reply 23):
What their focus studies and sales tell them is that people aren't much interested in too many features. They mostly want just a phone. They rarely use cameras and do you really consider the internet a worthwhile experience on a 1" screen?

That's me! See reply #2.  Big grin
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

greasespot

Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:53 am

stay away from the chocolate....the touch pad is really annoying......and not as intuitivly user friendly as my older samsung was.

GS
Sometimes all you can do is look them in the eye and ask " how much did your mom drink when she was pregnant with you?"

2H4
Topic Author

Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:03 pm

What their focus studies and sales tell them is that people aren't much interested in too many features.

I suppose I should point out once again that it's not features I'm after. It's original, non-generic design. Big difference....

Quoting LASOctoberB6 (Reply 16):
is there anyway to buy an unlocked phone?

Good question. If I know I'll be on Cingular, what search terms should I use for Ebay? GSM unlocked?

Quoting Charger (Reply 21):
Not for long

Just wait about a year!!!

Again not for long...

Hey Charger.....how about contributing to the discussion?

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

AsstChiefMark

Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:11 pm

Quoting Greasespot (Reply 25):
stay away from the chocolate

Huh? Chocolate phones?

ShyFlyer

Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:19 pm

I lift things up and put them down.

dc-9-10

Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:21 pm

Remember in the USA we also have a little different billing system. Much of the world is moving towards pre-pay or pay as you go and do not have lengthy 2 year contracts like we have here in the USA. Everyone in the USA has the same phone because telecom companies entice you to move over to their network with "free" phones, and we all know buying in bulk is the best way to keep your costs down, especially when you offer free phones.

Dc-9-10

DTManiac

Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:22 pm

Quoting Dc-9-10 (Reply 29):
Remember in the USA we also have a little different billing system. Much of the world is moving towards pre-pay or pay as you go and do not have lengthy 2 year contracts like we have here in the USA.

Hmm, I cannot tell about many other countries, but in Germany that has been the standard for many years now, too. I started having contracts ten years ago and most of the people I know have contracts as well. As you already mentioned it is beneficial for getting better phones since providers "subsidize" phones coming with a contract. And since I am lazy and very content with my provider, I just keep my contract running and just choose a new phone every 24 months.
Gig 'em Aggies!!!

3DoorsDown

Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:37 pm

is there anyway to buy an unlocked phone? and, is there anyway to change a phone's OS?

I bought my unlocked RAZR in China. (I have two more coming next week...I hope). Then I went to T-Mobile and bought a $100 pay as you go card. Slipped it in the phone and it works great, no phone bill, no worries. When my Qwest contract is up I am definately going full time pay as you go. It's way cheaper. Unless you talk on the phone 20 hours a day.  Silly

LASoctoberB6

Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:31 pm

Quoting 3DoorsDown (Reply 31):
I bought my unlocked RAZR in China.

only thing is, i hafta get to China first (thats gonna take forever) then i hafta learn to ship it back to the US....

KaiGywer

Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:33 pm

Ebay.

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 26):
GSM unlocked?

That will work, or if you know what model you want, just search for that model unlocked.

Quoting LASOctoberB6 (Reply 32):
only thing is, i hafta get to China first (thats gonna take forever) then i hafta learn to ship it back to the US....

Ebay  Smile

Charger

Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:58 pm

Quoting TZ757300 (Reply 22):
Maybe shed some light on this "impressiveness"?

Since I like my job and want to keep it, there's not to much I can say at the moment. Sorry. But I can tell you we are in patnership with DirecTV, Microsoft, Vodaphone, XM, and several other European and Asian wireless companies.

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 26):
Hey Charger.....how about contributing to the discussion?

Sorry like I said above, I like my job, but I will tell you there will be some really original designed phones showing up.

Expect a huge advertising campaign in about 7-8 months and availablity in a year.

And don't think for a moment we are forgetting about landline customers. There will be some interesting things happening there also. One is already being advertised in select cities.

srbmod

Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:41 am

The problems in the US are, as already noted, different cellular technolgies and simple geography - the networks have great coverage in the cities but the US is sparsley populated pretty much everywhere else so the incentive for improvements just isn't there.

Depending on the carrier, you can have dead areas in the middle of a major city. I've been riding around town with my boss and he's been on his phone and hit a dead area. I look at my phone and I get 4 bars in the same area he had none.

Much of the world is moving towards pre-pay or pay as you go and do not have lengthy 2 year contracts like we have here in the USA.

I've been using those sorts of cell phones for years and am getting ready to stop using them because the costs per month for me with my prepaid phone are approaching what it would cost for me to have a contract plan. In the past, using a prepaid made sense as I would barely use $20 worth of airtime in 90 days. In the past year or so, it is not uncommon for me to use $40 worth of airtime in a month, and when you start using that amount of minutes in a month, it's definitely makes more sense to perhaps switch from prepaid. Also my employer is getting ready to start reimbursing us part of our monthly cell phone costs, so I'm definitely going to take advantage of that. For me, I don't need a cell phone with all the bells and whistles.

LY744

Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:18 pm

Quoting Greasespot (Reply 25):
stay away from the chocolate....the touch pad is really annoying......

I'm told you have to fine tune the touchpad to suit your personal preferences. I tried using my friend's Chocolate and couldn't get any of the buttons to work, while he could do it no problem.

LY744.
Pacifism only works if EVERYBODY practices it

AC777LR

Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:25 pm

Any GSM phone with 850/1900 or Quadband will work great in North America. Now that Cingular (AT&T) and Rogers have gone to HSDPA its pretty much on Par with Europe and Asia. Rogers now has Video Calling like in Europe so we are on the same page here.
Member since April 2000

ACDC8

Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:34 pm

Quoting Disruptivehair (Reply 13):

The list would be waaaaaaaaaay to long, but just the top of my head .....

-cars
-public transportation
-electronics
-low FARE airlines
-holidays
-shopping carts

Wink

I have to agree though, the cell phones offered in North America are pretty well hand-me-downs from other continents.

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 2):
A cell phone is a phone. It's not supposed to be some magical do-it-all miracle toy.

Actually, they've pretty well become fashion accesories. If you go to Europe (and I'm quite sure Asia as well) most people have 2, 3 or more cell phones. They may not have supposed to be magical do-it-all miracle toys, but that is what they have become.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

edelag

Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:23 pm

Maybe not the most fashioned but my Nokia 6131 is one of the best cellphones I've ever had. For 250 bucks unlocked and its 16 million color internal screen are beautiful. You can find it in amazon.
It's not just the destination, it's the journey.

3DoorsDown

Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:19 pm

Quoting LASOctoberB6 (Reply 32):

Getting there is a problem but carrying it home isn't. Take it out of the box and stuff the book and other phone crap in your luggage and put the phone in your pocket. Customs doesn't care if you are only bringing one or two across. If you bring 50....good luck not getting stopped.

Cheers

ha763

Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:43 pm

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 26):
If I know I'll be on Cingular, what search terms should I use for Ebay? GSM unlocked?

Cingular (now AT&T) will give you the code to unlock your phone if you call them. Just tell them you will be traveling and they will email you the code.

VonRichtofen

Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:48 pm

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 38):
The list would be waaaaaaaaaay to long, but just the top of my head .....

-cars
-public transportation
-electronics
-low FARE airlines
-holidays
-shopping carts

Took the words right out of my mouth Big grin I'd also add access to health care and education. It really feels like I've gone back in time 10 years when arriving back in Canada.

Quoting AC777LR (Reply 37):
Now that Cingular (AT&T) and Rogers have gone to HSDPA its pretty much on Par with Europe and Asia. Rogers now has Video Calling like in Europe so we are on the same page here.

That's good, but we're still far from the same page when it comes to the models available. Europe has had video call for a while now and most of their mid-range phones are capable of it. The point I'm trying to make is that our top of the line phones (which are few) are only as good as European mid-range phones while European top of the line completely blows ours out of the water (Nokia N series is a good example). Another thing they're way ahead is with variety. Walk into a rogers store here and there's maybe 12 phones available, they have their "mp3 phone" and their "video phone" or "live tv phone". Go to store in Europe and you have a choice of 50 phones that can pretty much do all of it. The North American consumer must be pretty simple minded when it comes to cell phones.

I have a question for those in the US: My friend lives in Fairfax, VA. In order for him to send me a text message he had to call his service provider and get them to "turn on" international text messaging hahahahah. Is it always like that in the US? Or just certain providers?

Kris

KaiGywer

Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:54 pm

-shopping carts

Huh? You really need to explain that one  Smile Talking about four swiveling wheels rather than two?  Smile

deltadc9

Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:11 am

Quoting Rammstein (Reply 17):
Culinary Traditions

If you were not from Italy, that coment would be highly questionable!

Who thinks that if the manufacturers thought there was a market, they wouldn't enter all the super phones in this market. What their focus studies and sales tell them is that people aren't much interested in too many features. They mostly want just a phone. They rarely use cameras and do you really consider the internet a worthwhile experience on a 1" screen? I have tv service included and have never used it. They have been late to the party with texting though

Teenagers care, corporations who need their emplyees to be on email care, toher than that, Americans like their free phones.

Everyone in the USA has the same phone because telecom companies entice you to move over to their network with "free" phones, and we all know buying in bulk is the best way to keep your costs down, especially when you offer free phones.

Another key issue was the ban on portable cell phone numbers until a couple years ago.

-cars
-public transportation
-electronics
-low FARE airlines
-holidays
-shopping carts

Highly subjective.
Dont take life too seriously because you will never get out of it alive - Bugs Bunny

AsstChiefMark

Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:29 am

-shopping carts

Are you nuts? European shopping trolleys suck. All four wheels swivel. Trying the steer one will sprain your wrists and knees. God damn it! Nothing pisses me off more than a trolley going sideways down the jam and marmalade aisle.

AC777LR

Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:29 am

The Nokia N95 lacks HSDPA 850 which by the way us also used in Australia who is saying that this is going to be their new standard of HSDPA, and we in N America are using it. I do a agree that our handsets are not as available as they are in Europe, but however they can still be used the same way here as they can there.

Cars, I must admit I loved the rentals I have rented over there in France and England, top notch.
Member since April 2000

ACDC8

Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:56 am

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 45):
Are you nuts? European shopping trolleys suck. All four wheels swivel. Trying the steer one will sprain your wrists and knees. God damn it! Nothing pisses me off more than a trolley going sideways down the jam and marmalade aisle.

That's because you drive it like an American or Canadian ...  

Serioulsy, several supermarket's are getting shopping carts that have computer/scanners built in, that way you have your shopping list right infront of you and by scanning every item when you put it in the basket, your bill gets added up and send directly to the cashier where all is left is to pay for the groceries.

Quoting DeltaDC9 (Reply 44):
-cars
-public transportation
-electronics
-low FARE airlines
-holidays
-shopping carts

Highly subjective.

Not in my opinion. That's the great thing of having the oppurtunity to live in other countries for an extended period of time, it really opens your eyes in a lot of ways. I could easily add on to that list and I could also do a list of things we do better than Europe.

Back to the topic of cell phones. The LG Choclate, although not the most high tech phone out there, took about 1.5 years to get into the Canadian market since it's introduction in Europe.

[Edited 2007-04-06 22:56:49]
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

LASoctoberB6

Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:49 pm

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 45):
European shopping trolleys suck.

you cant even put your feet on the base and go flyin thru the parkin lots like a go-cart.....lame