Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jaysit

RE: W Outflanks The Dems (again) W/recess Appointment

Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:17 pm

Quoting Pope (Thread starter):
Pretty good "strategery" for the "village idiot".

The village idiot didn't come up with this so don't cream in your panties along with your fellow gwb groupies. This is something that everyone from sleepy Ronnie to slimey Bill have done. In fact, its an expected outcome which the opposition then uses to lambast the President.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

allstarflyer

Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:36 pm

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 49):
Quoting B777-700 (Reply 43):
And you confirm it...over and over.

When you can come up with something besides "I know you are but what am I" get back to me.

rotfl 

Time for a 3rd party.

-R
Living the American Dream

Pope
Topic Author

Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:47 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 23):
Never in my life have I seen such a smug, arrogant, sore "winner", for lack of a better description. You're acting like Bush just stole an election or something.

Ahhh. This from the man who started the thread on the nomination being blocked with the words:

Quoting Falcon84 (Thread starter):
And I love it.

http://news.aol.com/topnews/articles...14509990002?ncid=NWS00010000000001

Guess it shows that if you're going to play such games, you'd better be ready to get burned when those you slur are suddenly in a position to say yes or no to your potential job.

I, for one, am glad.

https://www.airliners.net/discussions/non_aviation/read.main/1570786/

Then you go on in this thread to say:

Two words: shameless hypocrisy.

Well, I couldn't agree more. Once again you show yourself to be the hypocrite.
Hypocrisy. It's the new black for liberals.

jaysit

Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:08 am

What is the big deal here?

This is classic Congressional and Presidential politics.

Clinton did this on several occasions, and this is not the first time that Dubya has done this.

And wake up folks. Ambassadorships today are meaningless really. They're basically patronage jobs for those who contributed to campaigns. There are very few countries for which merit is thrown into the equation for a US Ambassadorship (UK, France, Saudi Arabia, India, China, Japan).
Atheism is Myth Understood.

B777-700

Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:12 am

When you can come up with something besides "I know you are but what am I" get back to me.

When you say something that causes me to actually take you seriously, I promise to let you know.

In the meantime how about actually reading the posts.

Have been. You never addressed this...

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 38):
It only is acceptable if you call GOP Representatives Frank Wolf, Joe Pitts and Robert Aderholt traitors also. Because those gentlemen met with Assad THIS PAST SUNDAY.

It was just more personal attacks. "You didn't didn't say that in THIS post so it doens't count!"  Yeah sure

Quoting UALPHLCS (Reply 50):
B777-700 that's all you do! Rolling smiley faces and insults. I've never seen you refute anything someone else has asserted.

Well, UAL, when everything you say is just so hysterical, what do you expect? You REALLY expect me to rationalize with someone like who's so far off in outer space in right-wing lala land?

Quoting UALPHLCS (Reply 50):
Credibility, B777-700... you have none.

Wow, you haven't realized yet that you're opinion doesn't mean anything to me? I though I've made that clear.
If you don't chew Big Red, then @#$% you.

UALPHLCS

Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:45 am

Quoting B777-700 (Reply 55):
Wow, you haven't realized yet that you're opinion doesn't mean anything to me? I though I've made that clear.

What a way to show us you don't care.

BTW I'm sorry to pull you off the beach. Since you said this in another thread:

"Actually, I took a neat little getaway trip to the Bahamas w/ my girlfriend. Spur of the moment deal. I hate to break it to you, but a.net was the last thing on my mind! "

I was wondering why suddenly you've become so selective on what threads you're going to answer?
A little less Hooah, and a little more Dooah.

B777-700

Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:56 am

Quoting UALPHLCS (Reply 56):
BTW I'm sorry to pull you off the beach. Since you said this in another thread:

"Actually, I took a neat little getaway trip to the Bahamas w/ my girlfriend. Spur of the moment deal. I hate to break it to you, but a.net was the last thing on my mind! "

Uh, I'm back. You think I'd waste my time arguing with you if I was still down there?  rotfl 

UALPHLCS

Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:00 am

Quoting B777-700 (Reply 57):

How long where you down there?

B777-700

Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:30 am

Quoting UALPHLCS (Reply 58):
How long where you down there?

About a day and a half...

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 59):
But that's ok, your posts are pretty much the same from thread to thread so you don't have to bother doing that.

Again with more baseless insults instead of addressing the issue.

What do you think of the Republican delegation visiting Syria and the president's (non) reaction?

OU812

Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:18 am

Quoting Pope (Reply 53):
Two words: shameless hypocrisy.

img border=0 src="https://www.airliners.net/discussions/graphics/smilies/checkmark.gif" width="15" height="15" border=0>Well, I couldn't agree more. Once again you show yourself to be the hypocrite.

?img border=0 src="https://www.airliners.net/discussions/graphics/smilies/rotfl.gif" width="39" height="15" border=0>?

I see Falcon84 is up to his usual  footinmouth  He so loves to use the phrase smug, arrogant, sore "winner" when defining Bush. Yet, he is the one acting in such a manner. The dems won both houses of congress. However, he & many others remain bitter & frustrated. I simply do not understand why some have such anger with a president/person. Look, Carter was by far, the worst president. But, I do not see conservatives acting with such rage & anger towards him.

Regarding GW:
Well it looks as though GW displayed a clever move of political Brazilian jiu jitsu on the dems while they were holding out on funding our troops & "TunaGate" Pelosi was in Syria. While the partisans dems were kicking back & feeling fat headed, GW slipped his boy in. Classic Brazilian jiu jitsu 101. He dropped them right into an arm bar, while just moments after his opponates were feeling a false sense of being in a superior position.

GW got them again. All that the hacks can do is the usual. And that's, attack him personally & drink the Kool Aid!

Drink up boys!

drunk 

[Edited 2007-04-05 19:25:28]

baroque

Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:40 am

I wonder if the Bush supporters ever think of the effect this type of appointment makes on the "host" nation. So far our new Mr Ambassador appears to be a right plonk Check out the sketch starring him at
http://www.chaser.com.au/12.html?Itemid=72
It is in there somewhere, but Al Gore and Chaney are easy to find. The US Ambassador looks like a rabbit in the spotlight when interviewed by the Chaser boys. Perhaps his personal choice of cigarettes is not strong enough.

He came with poor reports and so far has lived up to them in sterling fashion.

TedTAce

Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:48 am

Quoting Baroque (Reply 61):
I wonder if the Bush supporters ever think

rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   no 

The apologists think that Bush thinks. This is the first mistake. Bush thinks like Homer Simpson 'what is going to help me and my friends now', with no regard for the future consequences.
This space intentionally left blank

WellHung

Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:53 am

Quoting Pope (Thread starter):
naming Sam Fox as the as US Ambassador to Belgium by means of a recess appointment.

B777-700

Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:57 am

Quoting OU812 (Reply 60):
While the partisans dems were kicking back & feeling fat headed, GW slipped his boy in. Classic Brazilian jiu jitsu 101. He dropped them right into an arm bar, while just moments after his opponates were feeling a false sense of being in a superior position.

Oh no! He's the embassador of Belgium! You're in for it now!

In your face Democrats!

Yeah sure

Quoting OU812 (Reply 60):
Look, Carter was by far, the worst president. But, I do not see conservatives acting with such rage & anger towards him.

rotfl 

You're funny!

itsjustme

Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:36 am

Quoting Pope (Reply 47):
Difference is that the POTUS can carry out his constitutional duties from anywhere in the world. He could be lying in bed in Tahiti and still fully execute the duties and responsibilities of his office.

Yeah, and isn't that a comforting thought. Bush can continue to fuck up the country without even being on American soil.

OU812

Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:57 am

Quoting Itsjustme (Reply 64):
Yeah, and isn't that a comforting thought. Bush can continue to fuck up the country without even being on American soil.

boggled 

More blind anger from the far left. We'll leave the f-ing up to Pelosi & the pussycats. Thank you!

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/pages/S...&subContrassID=1&sbSubContrassID=0

PMO: Pelosi did not carry any message from Israel to Assad

By Yoav Stern and Amiram Barkat, Haaretz Correspondents and AP

The Prime Minister's Office has strongly denied that Israel relayed a message to Syria, accepting its calls to renew peace negotiations.

The bureau responded to questions raised yesterday by a statement made by U.S. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, following a meeting with Syrian President Bashar Assad. Pelosi said she had relayed a message from Prime Minister Ehud Olmert, to the effect that Israel was ready for peace talks with Syria.

The Prime Minister's Office was quick to issue a denial, stating that "what was discussed with the House speaker did not include any change in Israel's policy, as it has been presented to international parties involved in the matter."

In a special statement of clarification, the bureau stressed that Olmert had told Pelosi that Israel continued to regard Syria as "part of the axis of evil and a party encouraging terrorism in the entire Middle East."

Way to go Pelosi!

footinmouth 

AirCop

RE: W Outflanks The Dems (again) W/recess Appointm

Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:33 pm

What a bargain this guy Fox will be. According to what I just read in the Washington Post, having a recess appointment to be an ambassador means no pay at all. Now the $64,000 question will be if living in government housing is compensation, and if found to be, he will be forced out of the residence, or he will have to face confirmation hearings in the senate. So, its isn't over until its over.

Bush also made two more recess appointments which has the majority party in an uproar, (one involving the Social Security administration), but those should appear in tomorrow's paper.

I attempted to post the link, but somehow it isn't working, but just check the Washington Post website, the article is there.

RJdxer

Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:58 pm

Quoting AirCop (Reply 66):
Now the $64,000 question will be if living in government housing is compensation, and if found to be, he will be forced out of the residence,

From Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Fox
Fox founded Harbour Group Industries, a multi-billion dollar investment firm
Somehow I think he can probably afford to scrape by in Belgium on his own if necessary.  faint 

Quoting AirCop (Reply 66):
I attempted to post the link, but somehow it isn't working,

Well let me help you out.
http://blog.washingtonpost.com/sleut...emocrats_outraged_over_fox_re.html

Kerry, however, a member of the Foreign Relations Committee, had this to say: "It's sad but not surprising that this White House would abuse the power of the presidency to reward a donor over the objections of the Senate."
Well correct me if I'm wrong but the full Senate never would have had the chance to vote on the nomination even if it hadn't been pulled thanks to your pettiness would it Senator?

Sen. Chris Dodd (D-Conn.), another member of the Foreign Relations Committee -- one of three '08 presidential contenders on the panel -- made it clear the White House declared war through its recess appointment. Dodd said. "I seriously question the legality of the President's use of the recess appointment authority in this instance."
Be careful what you wish for. If by some miracle you were to become President, which would mean that horrible accidents would have had to befallen a number of others, that statement would most definitely come back to haunt you Senator.

Who would have ever thought that the Ambassadorship to Belgium of all places would be worth so much effort and time. Have the democrats even named someone they would rather see in the position? Of course not, as usual, they are more concerned with just denouncing whatever the republicans and this President are doing rather than offering up any constructive ideas.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever. I'm going to Texas!

itsjustme

Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:19 pm

Quoting OU812 (Reply 65):
More blind anger from the far left. We'll leave the f-ing up to Pelosi & the pussycats. Thank you!

The far left? Me??? Are you fucking kidding me? Do yourself a favor and do some background on someone before making ridiculous assumptions about them. It will save you from looking silly in the future.

Being able to see that Bush has totally and completely fucked this country up has nothing to do with partisanship my ill-informed friend. It has to do with having an IQ above 10.

AeroWesty

Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:23 pm

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 67):
Have the democrats even named someone they would rather see in the position? Of course not, as usual, they are more concerned with just denouncing whatever the republicans and this President are doing rather than offering up any constructive ideas.

So you're endorsing the idea of a shadow presidency in Congress then?
International Homo of Mystery

RJdxer

Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:38 pm

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 69):
So you're endorsing the idea of a shadow presidency in Congress then?

No, I'm saying that if they have someone better than Ambassador Fox for the job they should speak up. As Chuckie Schumer did when his boy got the ax at justice.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever. I'm going to Texas!

AeroWesty

Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:20 pm

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 70):
No, I'm saying that if they have someone better than Ambassador Fox for the job they should speak

First they have to find out if he's qualified or not.

RJdxer

Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:53 pm

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 71):

What qualifies you to be an Ambassador? How many Ambassadors in the past have had those qualifications and how many have been supporters being rewarded for their loyalty? The link to his bio is up above. The only flaw I see was his penchant to have closed hunts with an animal that is endangered. Not only are those hunts very unsporting, but using an animal that is already in short supply makes it even worse. That in and of itself though does not disqualify him from service. He seems to have a good education and is a self made man. I'm sure worse individuals have been appointed in the past.

Arniepie

Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:03 am

Quoting B777-700 (Reply 63):
Oh no! He's the embassador of Belgium! You're in for it now!

Hey hey, Belgium is an important country, where else would you get those nice chocolates and fine diamonds from?
Also the capital of the EU and NATO HQ are here.
Sorry to be so defensive but being as small as we are I need to defend it by all possible means!!!  Silly  Silly  Silly  Silly

box   box   box   box   box   box   box   box   box   box   box   box   box   box   box   box   box   box 
[edit post]

UALPHLCS

Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:08 am

The Most Gratuitous Use of the Word "Belgium" in a Serious Screenplay.

I always thought it was an award.

Falcon84

Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:44 am

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 70):
No, I'm saying that if they have someone better than Ambassador Fox for the job they should speak up

rotfl 

Why? They do not nominate anyone, RJ. The President does. Congress' role is OVERSIGHT in this instance, and most in Congress didn't think he was worthy to be an ambassador, because of his penchant for smearing the good names of others. But, this president, true to his m/o, won't ever take no for an answer, and even if a majority of the Congress is against a nominee or a policy, he just says "screw you" and does what he wants.

Yes, the Great Uniter, isn't he?
Work Right, Fly Hard

AeroWesty

Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:48 am

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 72):
What qualifies you to be an Ambassador? How many Ambassadors in the past have had those qualifications and how many have been supporters being rewarded for their loyalty?

You're not even addressing the point. Now you're going off on a tangent that the confirmation process itself is a hoax, after criticizing those involved for not putting up their own candidate. Honestly, this is the most bizarre line of thinking I've seen in a very long time.

Falcon84

Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:52 am

I can't even reply to Mr. Van Halen anymore. We're talking about an ambassadorship appointment, and, true to form, he brings up Nancy Pelosi's trip to Syria, which, by the way, 4 Republican Congressmen have also made in the last week.

It's just too hysterical to try and comment on his rants anymore.
Work Right, Fly Hard

Yellowstone

Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:25 am

My take on the situation:
- It's sad that ambassadorships are now just rewards for partisan cronies, but that's politics these days.
- Mr. Fox should have looked into the groups he was giving money to. Even if he didn't buy into the Swift Boaters crap, he should have known better than to give money to a bunch of smear campaigners.
- Mr. Fox's gaffe could have gone either way in influencing the appointment. It is entirely reasonable for Kerry and the Dems to want a better representative for the US in Belgium than someone who gives money to groups like the Swift Boaters. On the other hand, it's not awful that he is the ambassador, since it's not like they do much of anything.
- Bush acted entirely within his powers, but he has just made himself look like more of a jerk and burned up a bit more of his ever-dwindling pile of political capital. Honestly, Mr. President, don't you have better things to fight Congress about?
Hydrogen is an odorless, colorless gas which, given enough time, turns into people.

UALPHLCS

Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:29 am

Quoting Yellowstone (Reply 78):
- It's sad that ambassadorships are now just rewards for partisan cronies, but that's politics these days.

Please tell me when was an ambassadorship ANYTHING but a reward for partisan cronies?

Plum Ambassadorships have been given as perks since the Washington Administration.

Yellowstone

Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:33 am

Quoting UALPHLCS (Reply 79):
Please tell me when was an ambassadorship ANYTHING but a reward for partisan cronies?

Well, yeah, but when Ben Franklin is your partisan crony, such actions are a little more forgivable. Big grin
Hydrogen is an odorless, colorless gas which, given enough time, turns into people.

halls120

Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:00 am

Quoting AirCop (Reply 1):
Let see the Ambassador to Belgium: not really all that important of a post to waste whatever capital that Bush as left, I wonder if Bush himself has throw in the towel on the remainder of his administration; this type of attitude will make it very difficult to get anything passed.

As if the Congress had any intention of cooperating with Bush, and vice versa. We're in for an 18 month long political equivalent of a steel cage match, which both sides will use for the purpose of gearing up for the 2008 race. That any good governance will take place in the meantime will only happen by accident.

Quoting DavestanKSAN (Reply 18):
True, he may not personally have more to win, but what he does will reflect upon future elections. Many moderate, or independent voters may vote Democratic because of the fall outs of this administration.

And many independent moderates will also look at the democratic intransigence.

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 24):
I am absolutely sick of the garbage you spread in any thread regarding politics Falcon. Read my post chowderhead. Where did I type a single word positive about the Republican party. You know what, don't even bother. You aren't worth the waste of time anymore.

Fall off into oblivion for all I care.

Don't hold back, MD. Tell us how you really feel.  biggrin 

Quoting CastleIsland (Reply 25):
That both sides are obstructionists, and statistically, over the past 27 years, the Dems have been more so. That doesn't change the fact that both sides do it. If one side is full of it, the other side (Dems) is more full of it, at least in terms of appointments.

Both political parties are corrupt. All they care about is obtaining and maintaining power.

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 46):
It now means Republicans will have first dibs on all the best chocolate.

I beg to differ, sir. Belgian chocolate is highly overrated.  duck 

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 53):
What is the big deal here?

This is classic Congressional and Presidential politics.

Clinton did this on several occasions, and this is not the first time that Dubya has done this.

And wake up folks. Ambassadorships today are meaningless really. They're basically patronage jobs for those who contributed to campaigns. There are very few countries for which merit is thrown into the equation for a US Ambassadorship (UK, France, Saudi Arabia, India, China, Japan).

thumbsup  However, I think you are on a fools errand to argue reason here.

Quoting Baroque (Reply 60):
I wonder if the Bush supporters ever think of the effect this type of appointment makes on the "host" nation.

And when a democratic president does the same thing, do his/her supporters think of the effect on the host nation? No.

rotfl  they have ALWAYS been a reward for political cronies!

- Bush acted entirely within his powers, but he has just made himself look like more of a jerk and burned up a bit more of his ever-dwindling pile of political capital. Honestly, Mr. President, don't you have better things to fight Congress about?

Both sides are throwing mud at each other these days. A disgusting spectacle, IMO.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

RJdxer

Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:12 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 75):
Why? They do not nominate anyone, RJ.

But they are free to suggest to the President someone they feel is deserving. It happens all the time with nominees for Judicial appointments and U.S. attorneys.

The President does.

The President decides who he will nominate, but that does not mean that a Senator or House member can't suggest or would be out of line suggesting a person for the job.

Congress' role is OVERSIGHT in this instance, and most in Congress didn't think he was worthy to be an ambassador, because of his penchant for smearing the good names of others.

rotfl   rotfl  You really need to head over to tri-C and take a remedial course in civics. The Senate confirms these types of nominees. The House has no role. Also, as usual, would you care to source your allegation that that most in the Senate didn't think he was worthy or is John Kerry now most of the Senate on his own?

But, this president, true to his m/o, won't ever take no for an answer, and even if a majority of the Congress is against a nominee or a policy, he just says "screw you" and does what he wants.

Once again, how about a source for your allegation? I guess operating under the Constitution is now a way to say "screw you"? Both parties have done it, it's nothing new, it's called politics. If a democrat is elected in '08 the practice will most certainly continue.

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 76):
You're not even addressing the point. Now you're going off on a tangent that the confirmation process itself is a hoax

???? You asked...

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 71):

And I responded by asking you what qualifies anyone to be an Ambassador.

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 72):
What qualifies you to be an Ambassador? How many Ambassadors in the past have had those qualifications and how many have been supporters being rewarded for their loyalty?

Honestly, this is the most bizarre line of thinking I've seen in a very long time.

As usual when you don't have a good answer, or any answer at all, you resort to ridicule. It's all so predictable anymore.
 bored 

AeroWesty

Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:17 am

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 82):
???? You asked...

What I asked was whether you were endorsing a shadow presidency. My question had nothing to do specifically with the ambassadorship.

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 82):
As usual when you don't have a good answer, or any answer at all, you resort to ridicule. It's all so predictable anymore.

You're now under an obligation to back that statement up or withdraw it. I'm consciously aware of the use of ridicule in politically-slanted threads, and rarely respond in kind. My statement was an opinion of the available facts, which continue to look very bizarre to me, all things considered.

RJdxer

Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:02 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 83):
You're now under an obligation to back that statement up or withdraw it.

Honestly, this is the most bizarre line of thinking I've seen in a very long time.

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 17):
Hahahahaha! Bush made a phunney! Yesterday he criticizes Congress for recessing, today he makes a recess appointment.

Swift Boat $$ Contiributer Get's Paid Back

reply 35
Quoting RJdxer (Reply 34):
Then the matter of the U.S. attorneys is solved.

Perhaps you weren't paying attention,

reply 42
Look, I'm not going to rehash history with you. Perhaps you should just read the news, or horrors, listen to what his assistant said before Congress yesterday. Take the blinders off, smell the coffee, find a dog to love, etc.

Of course the thread in which the most ridicule occured in recent days, those that had to do with the firing of the U.S. attorneys has been pulled altogether so I cannot quote from that one. Suffice to say I do not withdraw my statement. Since it is a personal observation you are completely free to agree or disagree at your discretion.

AeroWesty

Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:21 am

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 84):
Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 17):Hahahahaha! Bush made a phunney! Yesterday he criticizes Congress for recessing, today he makes a recess appointment.

So pointing out that Bush made a phunney is ridicule of an A.net member?  rotfl  That doesn't even fit the context of your complaint--"not having an answer".

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 84):
Of course the thread in which the most ridicule occured in recent days, those that had to do with the firing of the U.S. attorneys has been pulled altogether so I cannot quote from that one. Suffice to say I do not withdraw my statement. Since it is a personal observation you are completely free to agree or disagree at your discretion.

Oh I wondered what happened to that thread! Well let me say this, if at any time you think I've personally dissed you because I "didn't have an answer", hit the Suggest Delete button.

However, that said, if the occurances were that prevalent, you'd be able to quickly come up with at least a dozen or so references without even trying hard. Your other references were in reply to your being off-topic in another thread, and your attempting to steer the conversation into an area that wasn't a subject of the subject thread. If you feel offended by that, so be it.

RJdxer

Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:31 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 85):
hit the Suggest Delete button.

I don't believe in hitting the SD button. Most everyone here has paid to play and as such should be given wide lattitude to express their opinion as long as it doesn't expose the sites owner to legal ramifications.

you'd be able to quickly come up with at least a dozen or so references without even trying hard.

Why bother? I am not a believer in over kill.

Your other references were in reply to your being off-topic in another thread

The references you refer to were in most cased replies to posts you made about my posts. No one forced you to respond an you could have ignored the posts if you felt they were that far off topic, which is my practice in general.

If you feel offended by that, so be it.

Nope, it would take a lot more than what ever you can offer up to offend me. I simply point out what you are becoming more and more prone to do and what I expect in general when you have no other rational argument.

This post is completely off topic so respond if you wish but my point is made and I will move on.

baroque

Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:25 pm

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 61):
Quoting Baroque (Reply 61):
I wonder if the Bush supporters ever think

rotfl rotfl rotfl rotfl rotfl no

What a devilish selective quoter you are Ted. Glad to be of assistance though.  rotfl 

OU812

Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:24 am

Quoting Itsjustme (Reply 68):
Being able to see that Bush has totally and completely fucked this country up has nothing to do with partisanship my ill-informed friend. It has to do with having an IQ above 10.

That's your opinion. Under Bush, I & a vast % of the population have prospered quite handsomely in both real estate & in the stock market. For you to say that Bush has totally f-ed up his country is your right. However, it proves that you're being completely partisan & ignorant! With the current unemployment rate at 4.4% is proof enough that you're full of it. You can either sit there & bitch & moan or you can get up off your butt & make it happen.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...601087&sid=alh1B3aI8Bnc&refer=home

U.S. Payrolls Rose 180,000 in March; Jobless Rate at 4.4%

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 77):
I can't even reply to Mr. Van Halen anymore. We're talking about an ambassadorship appointment, and, true to form, he brings up Nancy Pelosi's trip to Syria, which, by the way, 4 Republican Congressmen have also made in the last week.

True to form Falcon84 neglects to mention that none of these 4 reps congressmen ran rough shod over US foreign policy as did Pelosi! Not only did Pelosi paint herself as a Useful Idiot, she also f-ed up with regard to Israeli foreign policy as well. FYI, I'm enjoy watching you BS yourself. Keep up the good work. bigthumbsup 

http://blogs.usatoday.com/oped/2007/04/post_15.html

Our view on foreign policy: Pelosi steps out of bounds on ill-conceived trip to Syria

Falcon84

Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:49 am

Quoting OU812 (Reply 88):
That's your opinion. Under Bush, I & a vast % of the population have prospered quite handsomely in both real estate & in the stock market.

Substitute "vast" for "a small percentage", and you might have it right, Van Halen.

However, it proves that you're being completely partisan & ignorant!

rotfl  You have the never to call anyone else "partisan and ignorant"?

Pot--->Kettle--->Black.

True to form Falcon84 neglects to mention that none of these 4 reps congressmen ran rough shod over US foreign policy as did Pelosi!

rotfl  How did she run roughshod over U.S. foreign policy? By talking to someone? And these other Reps were there for what reason, do you know?

Again, it's nothing put partisan hypocrisy for the President to critisize the Speaker while turning a blind eye to the fact that 4 in his party made the same exact trip.
Work Right, Fly Hard

MaidensGator

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:16 am

Quoting ArniePie (Reply 73):
Hey hey, Belgium is an important country, where else would you get those nice chocolates and fine diamonds from?

What about Belgian Waffles?? And I'm not sure but don't Brussels Sprouts come from there too??

most in Congress didn't think he was worthy to be an ambassador, because of his penchant for smearing the good names of others.

Not true, it was only held up in the Foreign Relations Committee...
The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers.

JGPH1A

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:22 am

Quoting ArniePie (Reply 73):
where else would you get those nice chocolates and fine diamonds from?
Also the capital of the EU and NATO HQ are here.

The fine diamonds come from South Africa and Russia. They are just sold in Antwerp

The capital of the EU and NATO were put where the fewest people would be annoyed - after all, what else has Belgium got ?  biggrin 
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

halls120

Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:02 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 89):
How did she run roughshod over U.S. foreign policy? By talking to someone?

The following excerpt from an April 5, 2007, editorial in the Washington Post provides a clear answer to your question. SImply put, in ths instance, Pelosi was a fool.

Quote:
HOUSE SPEAKER Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) offered an excellent demonstration yesterday of why members of Congress should not attempt to supplant the secretary of state when traveling abroad. After a meeting with Syrian dictator Bashar al-Assad in Damascus, Ms. Pelosi announced that she had delivered a message from Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert that "Israel was ready to engage in peace talks" with Syria. What's more, she added, Mr. Assad was ready to "resume the peace process" as well. Having announced this seeming diplomatic breakthrough, Ms. Pelosi suggested that her Kissingerian shuttle diplomacy was just getting started. "We expressed our interest in using our good offices in promoting peace between Israel and Syria," she said.

Only one problem: The Israeli prime minister entrusted Ms. Pelosi with no such message. "What was communicated to the U.S. House Speaker does not contain any change in the policies of Israel," said a statement quickly issued by the prime minister's office. In fact, Mr. Olmert told Ms. Pelosi that "a number of Senate and House members who recently visited Damascus received the impression that despite the declarations of Bashar Assad, there is no change in the position of his country regarding a possible peace process with Israel." In other words, Ms. Pelosi not only misrepresented Israel's position but was virtually alone in failing to discern that Mr. Assad's words were mere propaganda.

Two weeks ago Ms. Pelosi rammed legislation through the House of Representatives that would strip Mr. Bush of his authority as commander in chief to manage troop movements in Iraq. Now she is attempting to introduce a new Middle East policy that directly conflicts with that of the president. We have found much to criticize in Mr. Bush's military strategy and regional diplomacy. But Ms. Pelosi's attempt to establish a shadow presidency is not only counterproductive, it is foolish.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...le/2007/04/04/AR2007040402306.html
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

MaidensGator

Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:47 am

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 92):
The following excerpt from an April 5, 2007, editorial in the Washington Post provides a clear answer to your question. SImply put, in ths instance, Pelosi was a fool.

Thanks for that link. This editorial is all the more indicative of Pelosi's cluelessness coming as it does from the Washington Post. If the Post is calling her a fool after only three months, I'd say the honeymoon is over. She'd be wise to read her job description and maybe try to accomplish something productive. Her term runs out before GWB's....

AirportSeven

Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:13 am

Yeah Pope, it's funny whenever the Bush administration avoids congressional oversight in its quest for a unitary and unchecked Executive branch. And that happens quite a bit. I just laugh and laugh whenever I think about how Rove and Cheney have been systematically dismantling the system of checks and balances to cover up the egregious incompetence and malevolence of the current administration. The next President who happens to be a Democrat will have a wide range of expanded Executive Privileges at his or her disposal thanks to this administration, but don't worry, a real President will come along who won't rely on signing statements and recess appointments to forward an agenda.

As usual, the Bush regime made its move without regard for the law of the United States:

"Under 5 U.S.C. § 5503, in order for Mr. Fox to be paid for his services as Ambassador, his nomination would have to have been pending before the Senate on March 29th, when the Senate went into recess. Moreover, according to a separate statute, 31 U.S.C. § 1342, the U.S. Government cannot accept "voluntary services" from individuals except in an emergency.

As we understand it, there are some exceptions to this prohibition. For example, "voluntary services" may be permitted if an agreement is made between the individual and the government agency in question that no later claim to compensation will be made. In the case of Mr. Fox, however, it appears that the "voluntary services" prohibition would still apply because the position in question is a statutory entitlement with a fixed rate of pay that cannot be waived (Section 401 of the Foreign Service Act of 1980 mandates a fixed rate of pay for the position of Ambassador).

There appears to be a clear conflict between the pay restrictions as enumerated in Title 5 of the United States Code, which prevent Mr. Fox from being paid due to the circumstances of his recess appointment, and the "voluntary services" provision of Title 31 of the United States Code, which mandates that the United States Department of State cannot accept "voluntary services" for the position to which Mr. Fox has been recess appointed."
Letter to the GAO here..

Since we are on the subject, let's look at the other two officials who were installed by recess appointment along with Fox:

- Susan E. Dudley will now oversee regulatory policy at the Office of Management and Budget. Ms. Dudley comes to us from the anti-regulatory Mercatus Center at George Mason University. An anti-regulatory official in charge of regulatory policy, get it? That's almost as good as putting John Bolton in a position where he might have to use diplomacy. Oh well, it's only the OMB. What good is budgetary oversight to anybody, anyway? Dudley's name has been out there since last July for this job. Why didn't the Senate vote on her when there was a Republican majority?

-Andrew Biggs will now be Deputy Commissioner at Social Security. Mr. Biggs has spent the last few years over at the Cato Institute defending Bush's ideas about how to "fix" Social Security through privatization. Once again, the private accounts idea was a non-starter when the Republicans had a majority in both houses, and it's not going to smell any better this time around. I get the feeling that the White House has not putting in overtime here lately coming up with any dazzling plan to miraculously improve the Social Security system.

Taken from a broad perspective, these are just political appointees who will serve a few years, if that long, and then will be gone. The more specific issue is the abuse of the recess appointment process for political purposes. Clearly, Fox's appointment was done specifically to circumvent congressional inquiry, and it was clearly done out of spite towards the Democratically controlled Congress and specifically John Kerry . These are not the actions of a shrewd political strategist, but those of a petulent and mean spirited child.

These appointments were indicative of the Bush administration's disdain for Congressional oversight and governmental transparency. I feel sorry for those who find it humorous that the Executive branch demonstrates time and time again that it has no regard for the system of checks and balances that holds our Federal government together.

Falcon84

Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:36 am

Quoting AirportSeven (Reply 94):

Welcome to my RU list, friend. That was an excellent post.

And Pope?

rotfl 
Work Right, Fly Hard

Blackbird

Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:50 am

Airport Seven,

I'd have to agree to a lot of what you said. People like Pope don't get that Bush's clever end run tactics, and screwing the Democrats reveal that our President, George W. Bush has a shameless disregard of the US Constitution. He doesn't care about the laws of this country, unless they benefit him. Bush views the Constitution as a pesky antiquated obstacle that needs to be circumvented, or eroded to a nub.

And people like Pope doesn't realize that the Constitution was meant to protect the people of this country from leaders like President Bush; they don't realize that a republic exists so that ordinary people like us actually have some control in who our leaders would be and that we have a say in our government (even though this is becoming more and more a thing of the past)

Andrea Kent

halls120

Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:54 am

The next President who happens to be a Democrat will have a wide range of expanded Executive Privileges at his or her disposal thanks to this administration, but don't worry, a real President will come along who won't rely on signing statements and recess appointments to forward an agenda.

And you think that Presidents before Bush didn't use executive privilege to advance their agendas? That presidents after Bush won't do the same?

They did, and they will, no matter which party they belong to.

RJdxer

Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:20 am

These appointments were indicative of the Bush administration's disdain for Congressional oversight and governmental transparency. I feel sorry for those who find it humorous that the Executive branch demonstrates time and time again that it has no regard for the system of checks and balances that holds our Federal government together.

Section 2.

The President shall have Power to fill up all Vacancies that may happen during the Recess of the Senate, by granting Commissions which shall expire at the End of their next Session.

Section 5503. Recess appointments

Better check that section again.

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/ts_search.pl?title=5&sec=5503

My read says that in order not to be paid 1. the vacancy must have occured within 30 days of the end of session. Do you know when the former Ambassador resigned? 2. Someone had their nomination pending at the end of the session. The WH pulled Foxes name well before the end of the session. 3. No nomination was rejected since the only nomination was pulled before the Senate had a chance to vote. Also, according to b of the subsection the President has until 40 days after the start of the next session to submit a name for consideration.

This would completely wipe out the second section that was cited.

By the time it works its way through the courts and the Constitution prevails all of this will be history.

MaidensGator

Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:34 am

As usual, the Bush regime made its move without regard for the law of the United States:

You're conveniently overlooking the Constitution of the United States when you imply the appointment was illegal. Article 2, Section 2, Paragraph 3 reads:

The President shall have Power to fill up all Vacancies that may happen during the Recess of the Senate, by granting Commissions which shall expire at the End of their next Session.

Those statutes about serving without pay can't trump the Constitution; they're dependent on it. Appointing officials when the Senate is in recess has been going on since the nation was formed. It will continue to happen unless there's a Constitutional Amendment prohibiting it.

From an independent perspective, I was hopeful that with the Democratic control of Congress, they would actually work on relevant issues. Instead, the Democrats seem intent on challenging the President on trivial matters like this appointment which (1) is provided for in the Constitution and (2) doesn't amount to anything anyhow. All of the House seats and one third of the Senate are up for re-election in a little over a year and a half. If the Democrats expect to maintain control, they'd better start getting serious. I've had enough of Bush myself, but it's already looking like the Democrats controlling Congress don't have any better ideas than the Republicans they replaced.