Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

KaiGywer
Topic Author

First IPod Virus Detected

Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:04 pm

Looks like Apple products aren't immune to threats:

Security vendor Kaspersky Labs announced it has detected the first virus designed to infect iPod portable media players.

The virus, which has been named Podloso, is a proof of concept program which does not pose a real threat.

The virus is a file which can be launched and run on an iPod, the company said in a statement, published on its web site.
[. . .]

Source: novinite

I like the warning message  Wink

gkirk

RE: First IPod Virus Detected

Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:07 pm

Klaus has went into hiding  Wink

mNeo

Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:10 pm

Well looking at the picture its not the standart iPod interface, but iPodLinux which is a Linux kernel for the ipod..
http://www.ipodlinux.org/Main_Page
So the virus isint really for the Mac firmware but more so for the Linux OS

CaptOveur

Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:15 pm

Viruses on something made by apple?

This is like the white man bringing smallpox to the native americans.

I guess Steve Jobs is now learning an important lesson: When your shit becomes mainstream, meaning people other than just uber nerds, elementary school kids and grandparents use your stuff, geeks might decide to mess with it.

lehpron

Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:19 pm

My 2 cents: Most if not all Microsoft viruses come from programmers that use either Linux or MacOS on their system. These people just cannot contain their hate in any other way than bragging by sending out these little pieces of shizzle just to screw with 'the man' and the rest of us for 'being sheep'. Proof to me was when a non-windows classmate mentioned, "if anyone made an Linux virus, they would be hunted down within minutes." I asked, 'what about Windows viruses?' He said, "They deserve it". How audacious!

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 1):
Klaus has went into hiding

He's a Mac patriot, he'll defend it until it dies, then claims it went into next gen development mode.  Wink

gkirk

Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:25 pm

Quoting Lehpron (Reply 4):
He's a Mac patriot, he'll defend it until it dies, then claims it went into next gen development mode. Wink

A bit like Airbus and Boeing fans  duck 

strasserb

Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:51 pm

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 5):
A bit like Airbus and Boeing fans

Boing operates with Linux?
That's new for me.
Thanx.
 biggrin 

walter747

Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:05 am

actually you can get virus's from music files from limewire and bearshare that are virus's. Once you transfer the bad ong to your ipod your ipod has a virus plan and simple.

ebs757

Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:27 am

Wheres Klaus when you need him  Cool

IFEMaster

Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:32 am

Quoting KaiGywer (Thread starter):
The virus, which has been named Podloso, is a proof of concept program which does not pose a real threat.

Let's be clear on this; it's a proof of concept. There are proof of concepts out there for Mac OS and for various Linux distros. There is no threat whatsoever.

bagpiper

Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:33 am

Quoting Ebs757 (Reply 8):

He's hiding, and probably changing his undies at the moment.

Wink just kidding Klaus. I may not agree with you, but I still respect your opinion.

UALPHLCS

Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:36 am

Quoting KaiGywer (Thread starter):
Looks like Apple products aren't immune to threats

Apples were never immune to threats. Hackers just didn't write viruses for them because there were so few, and most hackers used IBM clones. Ipods on the other hand are so ubiquitous it's not surprising that someone might develop a virus for one.

gkirk

Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:40 am

Quoting Bagpiper (Reply 10):
I may not agree with you, but I still respect your opinion.

You'll be the only one that does then  mischievous 

jush

Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:59 am

It's for the Linux version. Has nothing to do with the Apple firmware.

So... YAWN

Regds
jush

lehpron

Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:55 am

Quoting UALPHLCS (Reply 11):
just didn't write viruses for them because there were so few,

So few that hated Apple as much as they hate Micro$oft. Big grin

Quoting Ebs757 (Reply 8):
Wheres Klaus when you need him

Our piñata is either asleep or at work, give him time. mischievous 

Quoting Walter747 (Reply 7):
actually you can get virus's from music files from limewire and bearshare that are virus's. Once you transfer the bad song to your ipod your ipod has a virus plan and simple.

If someone was stupid enough to not check the 'track' for self-quality assurance, then I agree. But then if the case were they simply transfering it like a used condom, its their own fault and not Apple's. I would suppose if an MP3 player didn't need the host computer and plug directly online to Dl new tracks, it would be cool but would need virurs protection.

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 5):
A bit like Airbus and Boeing fans

Fans, fanboy and girls, fanatics, etc. It is a facinating subject to figure out how people get this way, I do things based on money, while others have brand-loyalty and go into these racist feuds over 'others'. Not that our buddy Klaus is one of them, afterall, I interpreted his reactions and called him fan of Apple Mac's. I make decisions based on money and convinience, I have little brand loyalty.

KaiGywer
Topic Author

Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:07 am

Quoting Lehpron (Reply 14):
Our piñata is either asleep or at work, give him time.

I thought he had installed a program that constantly searches A.net for Apple or Mac and sends him an immediate text message to his cell phone to reply immediately  Wink  duck 

TheRedBaron

Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:03 am

Good news to me!, I repair over a hundred Ipod s a Week and charge 30 for each Ipod that requires NON warranty service....

Oh the humanity...

BTW You would not believe how stupid people treat their ipods to beging with!

hawaiian717

Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:32 am

Quoting Walter747 (Reply 7):
actually you can get virus's from music files from limewire and bearshare that are virus's. Once you transfer the bad ong to your ipod your ipod has a virus plan and simple.

The virus you get from a peer to peer file sharing site may be able to be carried on an iPod, but it can't actually infect or harm the iPod. You're assuming that they're actual music files too, not Windows executables pretending to be music files. If this is the case, iTunes would probably refuse to even import the file, let alone let it onto the iPod.

This is pretty much the equivalent of an Intel based Mac with Windows installed getting a virus on its Windows partition. Nobody has infected Apple's software yet, it's something else that the user installed that got infected.

lehpron

Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:36 am

Quoting Hawaiian717 (Reply 17):
This is pretty much the equivalent of an Intel based Mac with Windows installed getting a virus on its Windows partition. Nobody has infected Apple's software yet, it's something else that the user installed that got infected

Like genital herpes?

gkirk

Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:52 am

Quoting Lehpron (Reply 18):
Like genital herpes?

rotfl 

No sign of Klaus yet?

Klaus

Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:35 am

What are you on about?

Kaspersky have not "detected" anything, they have constructed something. And it's not a "Virus".

They have (apparently) demonstrated that it is possible after installing Linux on an iPod to port a specially constructed piece of Linux malware to this particular Linux installation which does some damage but is incapable of reproducing (which makes it not a Virus).

Apart from the maybe 10 or 20 people worldwide who have in fact deleted the actual iPod firmware and painstakingly replaced it with the respective Linux variant (what for?), the only one who may have an interest in this is Kaspersky for a particularly lame and irrelevant publicity stunt.

This is about as much news as that you can hurt yourself if you're poking two screwdrivers into a wall socket and touching both of them at the same time.  crazy 

You're completely safe from this Kaspersky malware if you simply keep using your iPod as you always have. (And don't poke any screwdrivers into wall sockets either, while we're at it!)

Okay, now back to the weird little party you seem to be having here...  eyebrow 

gkirk

Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:38 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 20):
What are you on about?

Kaspersky have not "detected" anything, they have constructed something. And it's not a "Virus".

They have (apparently) demonstrated that it is possible after installing Linux on an iPod to port a specially constructed piece of Linux malware to this particular Linux installation which does some damage but is incapable of reproducing (which makes it not a Virus).

Apart from the maybe 10 or 20 people worldwide who have in fact deleted the actual iPod firmware and painstakingly replaced it with the respective Linux variant (what for?), the only one who may have an interest in this is Kaspersky for a particularly lame and irrelevant publicity stunt.

This is about as much news as that you can hurt yourself if you're poking two screwdrivers into a wall socket and touching both of them at the same time. crazy

You're completely safe from this Kaspersky malware if you simply keep using your iPod as you always have. (And don't poke any screwdrivers into wall sockets either, while we're at it!)

Okay, now back to the weird little party you seem to be having here... eyebrow

rotfl  rotfl 
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt  Wink

Klaus

Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:40 am

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 21):
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt

Your lack of substance is disturbing...!  cool 

gkirk

Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:50 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 22):
Your lack of substance is disturbing...! cool

As is your lack of credibility  mischievous 

Klaus

Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:58 am

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 23):
As is your lack of credibility

Excellent. Address the substance of my arguments above, then.

Klaus

Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:13 am

...crickets...  Yeah sure

TheRedBaron

Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:46 am

TONS of crickets....

Anyhoo, Apple rules! (cant wait for my apple phone)

Best regards

graphic

Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:53 am

This is about as much news as that you can hurt yourself if you're poking two screwdrivers into a wall socket and touching both of them at the same time.

Jacking On. It's a fun hobby, you should try it sometime  Wink

N231YE

Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:27 am

This is about as much news as that you can hurt yourself if you're poking two screwdrivers into a wall socket and touching both of them at the same time.

Hehe...when I was in grade school, the students use to do stuff like this all of the time, often with paper clips and other various metal objects  sarcastic 

-----------------------------------------------

Back on the subject, I am surprised these is no "real" iPod virus out yet, considering the fact that Apple iPod is to the Portable Media Player market as Windows is to Computers. And with several people that I know getting music off of those P2P networks such as Limewire, this is very surprising, considering the amount of "garbage" that is attached to those files.

ebs757

Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:01 am

Quoting Theredbaron (Reply 26):
(cant wait for my apple phone)

Good luck with that!
 Yeah sure

Klaus

Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:59 am

Quoting N231YE (Reply 28):
Hehe...when I was in grade school, the students use to do stuff like this all of the time, often with paper clips and other various metal objects

"Unfortunately" modern stray current detectors have taken most of the "fun" out of it nowaday. I'm certain that many adventurous teenagers have been preserved for the gene pool this way...!  mischievous 

Quoting N231YE (Reply 28):
Back on the subject, I am surprised these is no "real" iPod virus out yet, considering the fact that Apple iPod is to the Portable Media Player market as Windows is to Computers. And with several people that I know getting music off of those P2P networks such as Limewire, this is very surprising, considering the amount of "garbage" that is attached to those files.

Since iPods don't communicate, there wouldn't be any way to propagate.

The Zune, on the other hand... But no, that would require all of the sixteen Zune owners to actually be in wireless range eventually, and what are the chances of that...?

itsjustme

Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:15 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 30):
The Zune, on the other hand... But no, that would require all of the sixteen Zune owners to actually be in wireless range eventually, and what are the chances of that...?

Fifteen. One of them bought two.

Klaus

Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:33 am

Quoting Itsjustme (Reply 31):
Fifteen. One of them bought two.

Oops - my bad!  innocent 

N231YE

Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:52 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 30):
"Unfortunately" modern stray current detectors have taken most of the "fun" out of it nowaday. I'm certain that many adventurous teenagers have been preserved for the gene pool this way...!  

Though I must say I've had my fair share...when I was a toddler (~4 years old), I stuck my finger into a light-bulb socket at a daycare, just because I was always told not to. It was quite a shocking experience!

gkirk

Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:04 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 24):
Excellent. Address the substance of my arguments above, then.

*SWOOSH*
 Wink

GLAGAZ

Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:49 pm

My iPod is crap! The logic board on it screwed up after a year. Just around the time the warranty expired. Now I can't add any new songs to it and the only reccommendation from apple is that I buy a new one! :@ They sold me the dodgy thing for £220. I only have about 900 songs on it! It is a 30Gb one by the way. So 'm pretty annoyed by the whole thing.

Gaz

Klaus

Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:38 pm

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 34):
*SWOOSH*

I hope you'll get your hot air leak under control eventually...  cool 

gkirk

Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:41 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 36):
I hope you'll get your hot air leak under control eventually... cool

Wink

Klaus

Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:48 pm

Quoting GLAGAZ (Reply 35):
My iPod is crap! The logic board on it screwed up after a year. Just around the time the warranty expired. Now I can't add any new songs to it and the only reccommendation from apple is that I buy a new one! :@ They sold me the dodgy thing for £220. I only have about 900 songs on it! It is a 30Gb one by the way. So 'm pretty annoyed by the whole thing.

That is unfortunate. Since it's a harddrive-based one, could it be the harddisk that's defective or is it really the logic board? Quite plausible in a portable device - few people handle harddisk-based music players as carefully as a harddisk would require, and none of the player manufacturers really make their customers aware of their somewhat fragile nature. (One of the reasons why I've got a nano.)

What are the symptoms?

I'd also generally recommend anyone to get Apple Care extended warranty (three years), especially for portable gear, but that's obviously too late in your case.

Klaus

Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:50 pm

Kirkie, you're aware that almost nobody is as good in goosestepping these days as xenophobic brits are?  eyebrow 

Have you actually understood what that episode was about?

gkirk

Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:54 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 39):
Kirkie, you're aware that almost nobody is as good in goosestepping these days as xenophobic brits are? eyebrow

Have you actually understood what that episode was about?

*Swoosh*
 Wink
God, your so frigging easy to wind up, Klaus. At least that other foolish German, Andreas (where is he anyway?) put up a small challenge...
 Wink

GLAGAZ

Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:58 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 38):
What are the symptoms?

Via a USB connection the computer will no longer recognise the device. The only way of connecting the iPod to the computer now is via a firewire linkage. But with that i can only charge the ipod, i.e. i can't add any more songs to it. But atleast its better than nothing.

Gaz

Klaus

Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:11 pm

Quoting GLAGAZ (Reply 41):
Via a USB connection the computer will no longer recognise the device. The only way of connecting the iPod to the computer now is via a firewire linkage. But with that i can only charge the ipod, i.e. i can't add any more songs to it. But atleast its better than nothing.

That does indeed sound like a logic board failure. You have probably checked if it's the computer's port that's damaged? iPods need high-power USB 2 ports to charge, and certain ports and hubs can't provide as much power as the iPod needs.

Have you checked the USB cable? Tried a different iPod Dock?

Klaus

Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:15 pm

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 40):
God, your so frigging easy to wind up, Klaus.

You're really easily amused... I just keep overestimating people every once in a while...

gkirk

Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:20 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 43):
You're really easily amused...

Indeed
http://www.gentblogt.be/wp-content/comedy_zone_logo.gif

GLAGAZ

Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:28 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 42):
That does indeed sound like a logic board failure. You have probably checked if it's the computer's port that's damaged? iPods need high-power USB 2 ports to charge, and certain ports and hubs can't provide as much power as the iPod needs.

Have you checked the USB cable? Tried a different iPod Dock?

I have tried every port including external hub. I also bought a new USB link, but nothing worked.

Gaz

Klaus

Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:36 pm

Quoting GLAGAZ (Reply 45):
I have tried every port including external hub. I also bought a new USB link, but nothing worked.

That's not good indeed... My guess would be static discharge during connection. Sad

The logic board will probably need to be replaced, but fortunately most components are available nowadays:
iPod 4th Gen - iFixit
iPod 5th Gen - iFixit
iPOD REPAIR PARTS ->: iPodMods

The question of course being whether you want to make the investment, but the options are there.

itsjustme

Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:19 am

Turns out, the iPod serves a purpose other than playing audio/video files....

http://blogs.usatoday.com/ondeadline/2007/04/soldier_saved_b.html

KaiGywer
Topic Author

Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:58 am

Quoting Itsjustme (Reply 47):
Turns out, the iPod serves a purpose other than playing audio/video files....

http://blogs.usatoday.com/ondeadline....html

That's amazing!

N231YE

Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:05 am

Quoting Itsjustme (Reply 47):

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 48):

...even more uses for an iPod  wink  :

Quote:
iPod Used In Domestic Homicide

Friday, March 5, 2004 Posted: 4:50 PM EST (1450 GMT)

MEMPHIS, TENNESSEE (HLN) - A Memphis woman was arrested and charged with first-degree murder after she bludgeoned her boyfriend to death with an iPod.

http://www.liquidgeneration.com/rumormill/ipod_killing.html