Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

rootsair
Topic Author

Sheriff Joe Arpaio Really That Famous In The US?

Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:22 am

On Swiss TV they just showed this Sheriff from Arizon called Joe Arpaio who claims himself as the toughest sheriff in the US very controversial for his treantment of inmates and many denounce him for his willingness to ignore constitutional rights in favor of blind enforcement.
They say he's very famous on the other side of the pond
Is he really that well known in the US ?
Regards
BM
 airplane   wave 

fumanchewd

RE: Sheriff Joe Arpaio Really That Famous In The US?

Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:24 am

I thought we were only going to talk about him once a month.

KaiGywer

Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:39 am

Yeah he is very famous (infamous?). You either love him or hate him  Smile

Personally, I think he is a cool guy  Smile

halls120

Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:43 am

I think that "well-known" is a better description for Sheriff Joe. Being regarded as famous suggests most of his adulation is positive, and that isn't the case in this instance.

UALPHLCS

Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:42 am

Who?

Seriously Who is this guy?

Remind me...

searpqx

Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:19 am

I think you'd get more recognition if you used the term "Pink Prision Undies" instead of his actual name.  Wink

diamond

Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:25 am

Quoting RootsAir (Thread starter):
Is he really that well known in the US ?

I had never heard his name until I read this thread.

Delta767300ER

Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:07 am

I support his jail tactics and I think more jails/prisons need to adapt these procedures. However, in the United States the position of "Sheriff" is an elected position. Sheriff Joe Arpaio is one of the most political Sheriffs in the USA. I have family ties to Maricopa County, Arizona (Phoenix Metro Area) and most of them cant stand him. Its probably a 50/50 deal.

-Delta767300ER

ManuCH

Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:45 am

I thought he was well known abroad as well. Many of my Swiss friends know his stories - not because I told them, honest  Smile

I personally support his jail tactics.

mhodgson

Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:50 am

One of our instructors at my training organisation (who send us to do our basic flying at Goodyear, in Maricopa county) said he was unanimously elected - is this the case?

desertjets

Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:26 am

Quoting Mhodgson (Reply 9):
said he was unanimously elected - is this the case?

Well I am not sure there has been anybody that has run against him, at least anybody that has a chance, since he was first elected 15+ years ago.

I wouldn't call Sheriff Joe famous. He honestly seems like he is mostly talk and little action. Sure some of his tactics appeal to the get tough on criminals type, but I think you'd be hard pressed to prove that what he does, specifically how he runs the county jails, has had a meaningful effect on crime. I'd also want to know if he has really saved the county money in his tenure.

fumanchewd

Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:40 am

AsstChiefMark

Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:45 am

I know him from a TV show showing that he built a tent city jail, started a chain gang, and made his prisoners wear black-and-white striped clothes.

fumanchewd

Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:52 am

Quoting DesertJets (Reply 10):
I'd also want to know if he has really saved the county money in his tenure.

The pink boxers are more expensive then white. That is his modus operandi, all show and no savings.

[Edited 2007-04-07 00:53:59]

bristolflyer

Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:04 am

Quoting DesertJets (Reply 10):
I'd also want to know if he has really saved the county money in his tenure.

I believe the meals that are sefved at tent city (green bologna) are less than a dollar/portion, and I think I heard recently that he's wanting to reduce that further.  vomit 

Halcyon

RE: Sheriff Joe Arpaio Really That Famous In The U

Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:19 am

Quoting Delta767300ER (Reply 7):
I support his jail tactics and I think more jails/prisons need to adapt these procedures. However, in the United States the position of "Sheriff" is an elected position. Sheriff Joe Arpaio is one of the most political Sheriffs in the USA. I have family ties to Maricopa County, Arizona (Phoenix Metro Area) and most of them cant stand him. Its probably a 50/50 deal.

Completely agree. Some of my EMS associates and friends have family who work for him, and talking to them, they also hate him.

However, I do like his jail procedures.

ltbewr

Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:00 am

Sheriff Arpaio is also going after illegals from Mexico he has to jail. Upon competion of their sentence, he makes sure they get a charter bus ride back to the border and have to go back into their home country. Over the years, he has taken a hard ass attitude toward his prisioners, usually there for jail terms of months to maybe up to 2 years. He is borderline as to International standards and he doesn't torture his prisioners, but he does make it so you don't want to end up back in his jail again.

Halcyon

Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:08 am

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 16):
He is borderline as to International standards and he doesn't torture his prisioners, but he does make it so you don't want to end up back in his jail again.

Which should certainly be the point too! Punishment seems to become more and more of a "time out" instead of a punishment. Silly silly.

AirCop

RE: Sheriff Joe Arpaio Really That Famous In The U

Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:27 am

Sheriff Arpaio is also going after illegals from Mexico he has to jail. Upon competion of their sentence, he makes sure they get a charter bus ride back to the border and have to go back into their home country.

Actually no. If the INS or ICE places an hold, they can be taken before any court hearing which then results in a warrant for their arrest because they didn't show up for court. Makes alot of sense. Case a couple of weeks ago, the county attorney dismissed the charges on a guy,so they could get a grand jury warrant, which they did, but the Sheriff had already released him to ICE which took him back to Mexico, was back in the States within hours and committed a murder and then most likely returned to Mexico. Talking about finger pointing on that one. He did use a van for a couple of trips to the border, but on legal advice from the Board of Supervisors he was told to knock it off.

57AZ

Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:09 pm

Quoting AirCop (Reply 18):
Talking about finger pointing on that one. He did use a van for a couple of trips to the border, but on legal advice from the Board of Supervisors he was told to knock it off.

That's why they're now working with ICE/INS last I heard.

Over the years, he has taken a hard ass attitude toward his prisioners, usually there for jail terms of months to maybe up to 2 years.

His prisoners are there either awaiting trial/'sentencing or serving a jail sentence of up to 11 months, 29 days (misdemeanor only). Those convicted of felonies are remanded to the Arizona Department of Corrections which is facing a massive capacity shortage and may get a federal population cap. If that happens, they may have to consider housing inmates out of state or releasing lower risk offenders.

fumanchewd

Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:42 pm

Quoting 57AZ (Reply 19):
His prisoners are there either awaiting trial/'sentencing or serving a jail sentence of up to 11 months, 29 days (misdemeanor only). Those convicted of felonies are remanded to the Arizona Department of Corrections which is facing a massive capacity shortage and may get a federal population cap. If that happens, they may have to consider housing inmates out of state or releasing lower risk offenders.

I am sorry, but this is ipartially ncorrect. My ex-boss had a felony sentence of 6 months and was in the tents the whole time. I personally was convicted of a felony and still spent 5 weeks in Maricopa's Durango jail until my sentencing and moving onto Alahambra. My brother spent 3 years in the top of Joe's Towers until his felony was sentenced. You are correct that many are awaiting trails, but there are also many felons awaiting sentencing as well as some felons serving minor sentences.

fumanchewd

Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:57 pm

I should mention that the tents have three separate yards. The first are the guys in stripes. They are non-felons sentenced for less then two years and spend all times in the tents. The second was my group-work release. We were allowed to leave everyday for work with no probation and were all non-felons. The third was where my ex-boss was- a work program where they were on probation and many were felons. They were permitted to go to work everyday by the judge, however, (called work forlough) and so were allowed to stay in the tents. Some of them that I met were felons who had 1.5 year sentences.

The first night there, I was walking with my bedroll and I heard someone shout my name. I looked behind me to see my current manager smiling at me. I met many types of people in there including pilots I already knew, cons, lawyers, and scum. I know that people can't judge prisoners accurately.

After that I had another visit as a felon.

Aeri28

Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:24 pm

I have never heard of him.

(filler to add space)
(filler to add space)

melpax

Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:26 pm

One of the papers here (Herald-Sun in Melbourne) ran a feature on him a few weeks ago. Interesting character. If his methods were implemented here, the civil liberterians would be up in arms.

As an aside, all prisons here are run by the states, you don't have 'county jails' run by local authorities here.

airbus3801

Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:51 pm

As a gross violater of human rights, the ACLU of AZ and myself vehemently despise him and currently have 2 or 3 lawsuits against him at any point in time. He frankly is just a petulant ass who loves to pretend like "he is tough on them criminals". In fact, he is just fulfilling his power fantasy that he was been deprived of all of his life. Trivial ...........

AirCop

Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:57 pm

Quoting 57AZ (Reply 19):
His prisoners are there either awaiting trial/'sentencing or serving a jail sentence of up to 11 months, 29 days (misdemeanor only). Those convicted of felonies are remanded to the Arizona Department of Corrections

As pointed out, not necssary correct..Sex offender serving one year or back to back one-year felony terms stay here, especially if they are employed , Felony DUI sometimes stays if DOC doesn't have room. Normally what you wrote is right, but there are exceptions.

L-188

Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:35 am

but he does make it so you don't want to end up back in his jail again.

Isn't that the point. I remember my dad telling that to one of his former girlfriends teenage kids one time when he ended up spending a night in the Spokane Jail. He got home and started to complain about the food in the place (pepper steak I think).

Quoting Airbus3801 (Reply 24):
As a gross violater of human rights, the ACLU of AZ and myself vehemently despise him and currently have 2 or 3 lawsuits against him at any point in time.

For a lot of people an ACLU lawsuit is a sign you are doing something right.

Edit: Forgot to say that the Sherriff isn't that famous, if you have heard from him you either live in the southwest or caught a story about him on 60 minutes.

[Edited 2007-04-08 01:36:49]

airbus3801

Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:35 am

Quoting L-188 (Reply 26):

For a lot of people an ACLU lawsuit is a sign you are doing something right.

Glad to see your for equal rights for all................

L-188

Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:42 am

Quoting Airbus3801 (Reply 27):
Glad to see your for equal rights for all................

I wish the ACLU was.......

They have the bad habit of picking only the lucrative cases for fundraising purposes

airbus3801

Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:56 am

Quoting L-188 (Reply 28):
They have the bad habit of picking only the lucrative cases for fundraising purposes

That would be because these people are probably not going to get quality legal assistance and they are the ones who need it most.