Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Jetsgo

RE: Volkswagen VS. Volvo Wagons VS. Nissan

Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:45 pm

Quoting Md11fan (Reply 46):
2. Ford Crown Vic

These can be pretty cheap. Do you work by any chance? If so, you really need to consider putting the10 thousand down, and financing say another 6-7 thousand. This will vastly improve the quality of cars you can look at. Right now, at or under 10 thousand, you are in a position where you buy what you can afford, not so much what you want really. Talk to your parents a bit more about it and see if they will help you get a loan.

With the Tahoe, be prepared for pains at the pump.

And just to continue the pissing match...  Wink

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 40):
but don't go out and make ridiculous statements.

That is just flat out wrong. There was nothing childish or ridiculous about my statements. I did not call him stupid or anything negative in fact. Hell, I was even sure to throw in there, "not to discourage you." You cannot argue my point that they will be questionable cars within a high school parking lot. And while you have a valid point regarding the fact there are schmucks who will laugh at any car, I am pretty sure more people would have something to say about a kid who pays for a Passat Wagon, rather than one who pays for a Trans Am, or one that is handed a 15 year old Accord.

And your opinion is probably not in line with many high schoolers either.

Fair enough.

If by truth you are referring to students who drive an "uncool" car to and from school, then you need to open your eyes and ears more often.

Wrong. It is one thing to be handed an uncool car for free, but to pay for an uncool car will raise questions by fellow students - if it ever becomes addressed.

What is the norm?

You answered your own question fairly well.
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

Jetsgo

Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:46 pm

Quoting Md11fan (Reply 49):
im going more for Performance.

If so, than you are looking at a the wrong setup of cars man.

I mean thats all for less and 1.5K

Why not take that $1,500 and put it towards a nicer car?

md11fan
Topic Author

Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:08 pm

Quote:
Why not take that $1,500 and put it towards a nicer car?

Cause i like the features of the Passat and it fits my needs, I mean ya i could put it towards a passat with like 5K miles less but to me that really dont make a HUGE difference

TusAadvantage

Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:29 pm

Hey, as a sixteen year old, I drive my 1988 toyota camry wagon with pride. After slapping on a tuner decal, getting a new paint job, and putting on some $40 auto zone rim covers, it looks pretty fly. Plus, even though it has a dinky 4 cylinder, its a stick and pretty fun to drive. Its also practical and reliable as hell. So, if you also like the unique look of a wagon, I highly recommend you go for it.

ACDC8

Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:52 pm

Quoting JetsGo (Reply 50):
That is just flat out wrong. There was nothing childish or ridiculous about my statements. I did not call him stupid or anything negative in fact. Hell, I was even sure to throw in there, "not to discourage you."

I never said you called him stupid or anything, however, your remark about some one driving a station wagon becoming the laughing stock of the parking lot, although I can appreciate the humour and reasoning behind it, is not true and I did find it silly. Maybe the term childlike was a bit too harsh, my apologies. But you can't deny the fact that people will laugh, point and stare regardless of what kind of vehicle you pull up in.

Wrong. It is one thing to be handed an uncool car for free, but to pay for an uncool car will raise questions by fellow students - if it ever becomes addressed.

Again, what is the definition of an uncool car? One group will find vehicle A uncool and another group will find vehicle B uncool.

You answered your own question fairly well.

How so?

I am pretty sure more people would have something to say about a kid who pays for a Passat Wagon, rather than one who pays for a Trans Am, or one that is handed a 15 year old Accord.

No, just different groups.

Md11fan, don't mind our little discussion here. This is the way I see it. Don't set your heart or eyes on a certain vehicle unless you're very passionate about it. My advice, depending on how much time you have, is to simply figure out how much money you want to spend. Then figure out what kind of car suits your needs. Do you want a convertible, SUV, fuel economy, versatility or just go from point A to B? Broaden your scope, look at as many cars as you can. What are you doing after high school, will you be needing this car for many years to come? You need to factor in resale value, fuel economy (fuel isn't going to get any cheaper) and getting the most bang for your buck. Take notes on what you like and didn't like on every car you look at, then go from there.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

BHXFAOTIPYYC

Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:12 pm

OK well i have updated my list:

1.VW Passat Variant
2. Ford Crown Vic
3. My moms 98 Chevy Tahoe

So ya i have now bumped my maximum price to 10K, any advice!

Has anyone asked about insurance? I think that could influence your decision.

Depending on your income level, you'll usually find parts for domestic cars a lot cheaper than imports.

From your list above, I'd skip the VW. Speaking as a Skoda (VW), Audi (VW), Mazda and Honda household, the VW's are way overrated.
Breakfast in BHX, lunch in FAO, dinner in TIP, baggage in YYC.

KaiGywer

Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:33 pm

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 31):
No, the Rabbit did not replace the Gold. The Rabbit is the Golf 5, however, VW in North America has decided to put the Rabbit nameplate for our market.

So basically it replaced it  Smile At least on the name basis  Smile

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 54):
Again, what is the definition of an uncool car? One group will find vehicle A uncool and another group will find vehicle B uncool.

Kinda like A vs. B over in Civ-Av  Smile
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

sudden

Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:15 am

I would go for the V70, but then the V70R.
300 hp and you can easily crank i up even more.

The Volvo has comfort as well as performance.
When it comes to the looks, I would say the new Passat wins that one.

Cheers.

Aim for the sky!
Sudden
When in doubt, flat out!

flight152

Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:02 am

OK well i have updated my list:

1.VW Passat Variant
2. Ford Crown Vic
3. My moms 98 Chevy Tahoe

Well why would i get a 4 cylinder, I would get the V6, dont forget im going more for Performance.

Chevy Tahoe? Crown Vic? How do these exactly offer performance?

Jetsgo

Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:09 am

Quoting Sudden (Reply 57):
but then the V70R.

Remember, he is on a budget here.  sarcastic 

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 54):
How so?

Your list of Ford Mustangs and Volkswagen Jettas was pretty spot on. Those are big in the school parking lots.

sudden

Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:46 am

Quoting JetsGo (Reply 59):
Remember, he is on a budget here.

Oops, I missed that part. Sorry about that.

Aim for the sky!
Sudden
When in doubt, flat out!

heliflyerPDC

Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:28 am

buy the volvo, I have a V50 and my dad a XC70 (both +/- 2 years old)

V50, it's one of the best , drives well easy steering, good safety( as every volvo) very practical

XC70, heavy car, so it handles a big like that. MY dad bought this one because it was bigger then his V70 and had more power, because ( at least here in Belgium/ Europe) its known that some V70 are a bit underpowered => but don't mind its only a problem when you want to do a bit more than just normal driving  Wink .

Volvo's design is super, looks classy but with a ruff side, and there safety is known as one of the best.

grtz PDC
grtz PDC

md11fan
Topic Author

Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:09 am

Quote:
Chevy Tahoe? Crown Vic? How do these exactly offer performance?

Well the Tahoe is my moms and she really is looking for something smaller and more fuel efficient (that is really the only reason i dont want it) she bought it not even 6 months ago for 10K and its a 99 with 75K miles is a great car and runs great but the kind of money that you have to dish out at the pump is ridiculous. The Crown Vic is a car that i also like cause its a BIG car with lots of muscle, and i am looking at the Crown Vic 71 (a ex-law enforcement vehicle) and those things are FAST (bu then again those BIG V8s use almost amount of gas as the Tahoe so that is a turn off) when people see that car the first thing they think is that i am a cop so they slow down while i just drive on by HEHE i like that. So basically. So right now i am focusing on the V70 and Passat Wagon.

flymia

Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:28 am

Quoting Md11fan (Reply 62):
The Crown Vic is a car that i also like cause its a BIG car with lots of muscle, and i am looking at the Crown Vic 71 (a ex-law enforcement vehicle) and those things are FAST

Well there not that fast. I think they go 0-60 in around 7.8s but they will hit 130-135mph since the police do use them. And you could make the V8 sound great with the Crown Vics dual exhaust.

So right now i am focusing on the V70 and Passat Wagon.

If you want to mod up the car go with the Passat there are alot more people out there tuning up their VW's than Volvo's. It will be alot easier to find parts and add ons for the VW.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

flight152

Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:41 pm

The Crown Vic is a car that i also like cause its a BIG car with lots of muscle, and i am looking at the Crown Vic 71 (a ex-law enforcement vehicle) and those things are FAST

Sure they have a V8, but they are hardly fast. On top of that they weigh a lot and have handling properties of a polyester sectional sofa. Hardly performance orientated.

2H4

Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:53 pm

Quoting Flight152 (Reply 64):
On top of that they weigh a lot and have handling properties of a polyester sectional sofa.

Yeah, but they make rednecks and teenage boys think you have an enormous penis. To many people, that's apparently a significant benefit.  Wink

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

ACDC8

Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:04 pm

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 56):
So basically it replaced it At least on the name basis

On a name basis, it's been re-branded  Wink . It's still a Golf (Golf V to be exact which has been around for 4 years already) and is just being marketed as a different name here. If VW decided to discontinue the Golf line and bring out a new car, then it would be replaced. Just like the Jetta did not replace the Bora in Germany, it's just been rebranded. Can you tell that I'm bored ....  Wink

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 56):
Kinda like A vs. B over in Civ-Av

What's A vs. B?  duck   Wink

Quoting JetsGo (Reply 59):
Your list of Ford Mustangs and Volkswagen Jettas was pretty spot on. Those are big in the school parking lots.

As are 2 dozen other types of vehicles ....  Wink
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

KaiGywer

Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:46 am

Quoting Flight152 (Reply 64):
On top of that they weigh a lot and have handling properties of a polyester sectional sofa

rotfl 

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 66):
Can you tell that I'm bored ....

Noooo Big grin
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

emrecan

Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:13 pm

Of course Volvo... Don't think so much...