Topic Author

EU Caps Mobile Roaming Rates

Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:10 pm

BCNGRO

RE: EU Caps Mobile Roaming Rates

Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:02 pm

Quoting Braybuddy (Thread starter):
about time

I live near Barcelona and it's very annoying go skying for a day in southern France and not being able to call home because it costs you a fortune. It can cost you more than the whole day out if you talk for 15min...

[Edited 2007-04-12 15:31:58]
At the bus station, buses stop. At the train station, trains stop. At my desk, I have a work station.

rammstein

Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:07 pm

Well done! Some roaming charges (even more then 2€/min Wow!) were totally unjustified.

[Edited 2007-04-12 15:07:44]
He who wishes to be rich in a day will be hanged in a day. --Leonardo Da Vinci

Braybuddy
Topic Author

Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:09 pm

I could never understand the logic of charging the person receiving the call as well as the caller. This charge still hasn't been abolished, but at least it's down to 15c a min.

L410Turbolet

Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:13 pm

Quoting Braybuddy (Thread starter):
about time

checkmark   bigthumbsup 

Asturias

Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:01 am

It is indeed about time. Some carriers have already introduced this. Oh well, good call (pun intended)  Wink

saludos

Asturias
Tonight we fly

Pyrex

Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:25 am

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 3):
I could never understand the logic of charging the person receiving the call as well as the caller. This charge still hasn't been abolished, but at least it's down to 15c a min.

The logic is that the person calling you has no obligation to know where you are, but you do. Imagine you go to Sydney and your friend calls you to see if you want to go out for a coffee because he thinks your downstairs - how fair would it be to charge him the price of a call to Australia?
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

FriendlySkies

Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:27 am

Does this apply to US phones used in the EU as well? :P

aloges

Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:45 am

Quoting FriendlySkies (Reply 7):
Does this apply to US phones used in the EU as well? :P

Is the Pope a Muslim?  box 
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

rammstein

Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:47 am

Quoting FriendlySkies (Reply 7):
Does this apply to US phones used in the EU as well?

Nope, for recovering the lost (European) revenues, GSM mobiles with American SIM cards will have roaming charges doubled.

FriendlySkies

Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:11 am

Quoting Rammstein (Reply 9):
Nope, for recovering the lost (European) revenues, GSM mobiles with American SIM cards will have roaming charges doubled.

Well....shit.

rammstein

Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:27 am

Quoting FriendlySkies (Reply 10):
Well....shit.

I was joking...  Wink Seriously, I don't think that non-EU operators (that are using an European GSM roaming provider) are bound to this new regulation, but this is just IMHO.

mrniji

Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:43 am

Quoting Rammstein (Reply 11):
Seriously, I don't think that non-EU operators (that are using an European GSM roaming provider) are bound to this new regulation, but this is just IMHO.

I think you are right. It is about competition within "The Nation of Europe" - many new EU Competition regulations have been passed in the "borderless Europe" to ensure a fair (?) competitive environment'. Think of Europe of sth like the US, in the federal model that should be reached in the long term

That said, it is a good step from the EU. Step by Step, as it can be anticipated, the roaming fees will be reduced
"The earth provides enough resources for everyone's need, but not for some people's greed." (Gandhi)

Braybuddy
Topic Author

Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:55 am

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 6):
The logic is that the person calling you has no obligation to know where you are, but you do. Imagine you go to Sydney and your friend calls you to see if you want to go out for a coffee because he thinks your downstairs - how fair would it be to charge him the price of a call to Australia?

But, supposing YOU are abroad, and, after a couple of beers, pick-up your phone and decide to tell everyone at home how much you are enjoying yourself. How fair is that to charge the person at home, who, sitting in traffic in the pissing rain, doesn't really want to know how much of a good time you are having, let alone be charged for it?

Pyrex

Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:57 pm

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 13):
How fair is that to charge the person at home, who, sitting in traffic in the pissing rain, doesn't really want to know how much of a good time you are having, let alone be charged for it?

But that person does not get charged (at least in Portugal...) - all roaming charges are incurred by the person who is abroad.

f.pier

Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:38 am

But big mobile operators, for example Vodafone shoud say "pay your nationa fare when you call another Vodafone numner", doesn't matter the state you are or the state the SIM was issued.

WildcatYXU

Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:43 am

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 6):
The logic is that the person calling you has no obligation to know where you are, but you do.

It's very easy to warn the caller before the call is connected; he may accept it and continue or simply hang up. But no, the providers obviously choose the better way for them - connect the call and charge the receiving person.

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 6):
Imagine you go to Sydney and your friend calls you to see if you want to go out for a coffee because he thinks your downstairs

It happened to me many times while living in Slovakia; friends calling if I go for a beer were shocked to find out that I'm in Clermont-Ferrand (or wherever in Europe) and I had to suck up the cost of it. If I wouldn't pick up, the call would be redirected to my voicemail and I would be charged twice, for the incoming call and for "my outgoing call" to the mailbox (at least this is how it worked with Globtel, now Orange in Slovakia of the late nineties). How fair is that?
310, 319, 320, 321, 321N, 332, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 7M8, 744, 752, 753, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, C402, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E45, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, MD82, Saab 340, YAK40

Pyrex

Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:45 pm

Quoting WildcatYXU (Reply 16):

It's very easy to warn the caller before the call is connected; he may accept it and continue or simply hang up. But no, the providers obviously choose the better way for them - connect the call and charge the receiving person.

You have the prerrogative to not answer the call as well.

Quoting WildcatYXU (Reply 16):
It happened to me many times while living in Slovakia; friends calling if I go for a beer were shocked to find out that I'm in Clermont-Ferrand (or wherever in Europe) and I had to suck up the cost of it. If I wouldn't pick up, the call would be redirected to my voicemail and I would be charged twice, for the incoming call and for "my outgoing call" to the mailbox (at least this is how it worked with Globtel, now Orange in Slovakia of the late nineties). How fair is that?

That is why mobile operators (at least here in Portugal) always warn you about voice-mail and even suggest you de-activate it before you go abroad.

JAL777

Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:52 pm

Quoting Rammstein (Reply 2):
Well done! Some roaming charges (even more then 2€/min ) were totally unjustified.

2 Euros a Minute!!!!!!!!!!  Wow!  Wow!  Wow!

Even roaming as far away as hong kong only costs $1 a minute for my US mobile.

Braybuddy
Topic Author

Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:58 pm

Quoting JAL777 (Reply 18):
2 Euros a Minute!!!!!!!!!!

The current roaming charges vary between 40 cent and 4 euro a minute.