deltadc9
Topic Author

For All Of You Spelling Police....

Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:25 am

it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm.

Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? Yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

Funny how the mind works, and how people claim spelling affects comprehension.....
Dont take life too seriously because you will never get out of it alive - Bugs Bunny

WrenchBender

RE: For All Of You Spelling Police....

Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:30 am

True, AS LNOG AS YOU DNO'T USE ALL CPTIALS.

wRENCHbENDER
edit for spelling

[Edited 2007-04-13 17:31:04]
Silly Pilot, Tricks are for kids.......

Daleaholic

Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:50 am

This is age old, but it's still kind of fascinating! Suht the fcuk up!  Big grin
Religion is an illusion of childhood... Outgrown under proper education.

ronglimeng

Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:54 am

Delta DC9:

I found it possible to decipher what you had written but I think it dropped my reading speed down to somewhere between 50% to 75% of normal.

So I still appreciate correct spelling.

My guess is that people who are lax about spelling are also lax about grammar and about just plain making sure what they have written is understandable.

(By the way, I ran this reply through spellcheck...many people can't be bothered even to do that!)

Mir

Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:56 am

Look, fi yuo rellay tnhik taht teh seplilng nzais aer gniog ot byu tihs pehtiatc ecsxsue, yroue vrey mcuh mtsikean.

I am oen fo tehm, so I konw tihs.  Smile

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

deltadc9
Topic Author

Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:01 am

Quoting Daleaholic (Reply 2):
This is age old, but it's still kind of fascinating!

I recieved this from a freind about 10 or 12 years ago, and it has been lost in my hotmail archive since.

While cleaning it out, I thought I would share...

Quoting Ronglimeng (Reply 3):
My guess is that people who are lax about spelling are also lax about grammar and about just plain making sure what they have written is understandable.

Some people, like me, simply do not type well, and keys get pressed out of order. The odd thing is, I can play piano and used to manually operate large light shows. Go figure.
Dont take life too seriously because you will never get out of it alive - Bugs Bunny

KaiGywer

Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:27 am

Seen tihs pently fo tmeis brfoee. Jsut sa azinamgn ervey tmie  Smile
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

Go3Team

Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:48 am

Quoting DeltaDC9 (Reply 5):
I recieved this from a freind about 10 or 12 years ago, and it has been lost in my hotmail archive since.

Don't you mean, received?  Wink Sorry, with this thread, one has to be one their toes.  Smile
Yay Pudding!

FlyDeltaJets87

Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:41 am

Quoting DeltaDC9 (Thread starter):
it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm.

Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? Yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

Funny how the mind works, and how people claim spelling affects comprehension.....

Still means having all the correct letters in the word though.
Shut, Shit, and Shot all have different meanings, but with U, I, and O right next to each other on the keyboard, it's easy to hit the wrong letter. And that is where the problem lies. Because having the wrong letters in the word changes the meaning of the word.

Your little thing here refers more to typos like typing out "soht" instead of "shot", which usually come from typing errors, not spelling errors.
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

geedo

Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:47 am

I appreciate correct spelling and grammar because I was taught to use it correctly growing up. I make boo boos here and there, but I know the difference between "there", "their", and "they're", and when to use each one. As well as correct usage of common phrases such as "I couldn't care less" It bugs me when dipshits think they're so smart by saying "I could care less what so and so says about......."

LOL, if you could care less, then why don't you?
I've got Titanic hopes and they aren't sinking

British767

Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:52 am

I've heard this before, but I still find it amazing.

Quoting Mir (Reply 4):
Look, fi yuo rellay tnhik taht teh seplilng nzais aer gniog ot byu tihs pehtiatc ecsxsue, yroue vrey mcuh mtsikean.

This doesn't work, because the first and last letter needs to be correct, so I had trouble reading this sentence. If the first and last letters were correct there wouldn't be any problem.

Mir

Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:50 pm

Quoting British767 (Reply 10):
This doesn't work, because the first and last letter needs to be correct, so I had trouble reading this sentence. If the first and last letters were correct there wouldn't be any problem.

Except for a very few short words, the first and last letters were correct.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

WestJetYQQ

Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:21 pm

Yeah, I've seen this before. It was quite entertaining but it's lost it's "Amzanig huh?" effect.  Wink
Will You Try to Change Things? Use the Power that you have, the Power of a Million new Ideas.

cxsjr

Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:53 pm

If I am vetting a job application, the first thing I look at is a persons experience and achievements, relevant to the position applied for.

However, if an individual makes several spelling and/or grammar mistakes, it tells me something about either their poor education or simply the fact that they can't be bothered to check what they've sent before they send it.

My pet hate is people who mix up there/their/they're:

There: for example, a location other than here ..... "look over there"

Their: belonging to them, eg. "their luggage is lost"

They're: abbreviation of "they are", eg. "they're coming to dinner"

Rightly or wrongly, anyone who gets this wrong on an application doesn't even get to the 'maybe' pile!
The world is a book, those who do not travel read only one page ....

deltadc9
Topic Author

Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:47 am

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 8):
Your little thing here refers more to typos like typing out "soht" instead of "shot", which usually come from typing errors, not spelling errors.

EXACTLY! My personal issue with this is the constant hounding I get for spelling "Their" "Thier" because I have a problem when typing "I"s and "E"s in the same word in the right order.

People around here do not distinguish typing and spelling problems.

GAIsweetGAI

Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:46 am

Quoting Ronglimeng (Reply 3):
many people can't be bothered even to do that!

That's beacuse Firefox has a plugin that cechks yuor slepnlig as you tpye.  Wink
"There is an art, or rather a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."