Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MDorBust
Topic Author

Fred Phelps: God Hates America. Court: Suck It!

Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:17 am

Quote:
BALTIMORE (AP) -- A federal judge in Baltimore is ordering Topeka's Westboro Baptist Church to pay more than $3,000 in costs related to the funeral of a Marine the group picketed.

http://www.kake.com/home/headlines/4892916.html?source=enews&c=y

Couldn't have happened to a better guy.
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

ANCFlyer

RE: Fred Phelps: God Hates America. Court: Suck It!

Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:19 am

Semper Fi Your Honor.

It's about time that clown got paid back . . .

FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

Daleaholic

Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:29 am

thumbsup 
This is good news. I hope the other families that these assholes have upset can follow in this grieveing family's footsteps and file a lawsuit.
Religion is an illusion of childhood... Outgrown under proper education.

CastleIsland

Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:30 am

So, will this open the floodgates against this hunk 'o' shit "church"? We now have a precedent for fining this group of self-appointed holier-than-thou scrot bags, and hopefully other people will push this issue. Freedom of speech is one thing, but freedom to denegrate the dead in the face of family members is not granted by our Constitution.

So, what will they do? Will they pay within 30 days and make it clear that they are capable and willing to meet these kinds of financial penalties in future cases, or will they hold out and challenge, and risk the full weight of the law crushing them financially.

Nice to see that either choice leaves them open to taking one hard.
"People don't do what they believe in, they just do what's most convenient, then they repent." - Dylan

NWA742

Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:33 am

Excellent. I'm just waiting for the day this group comes upon the wrong funeral with the wrong people.

I personally know an ex-Navy SEAL and I'd bet you my life savings that if they showed up at the funeral of anyone related to him, he'd be pulling out his fists or his guns.

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

rammstein

Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:39 am

Just in case someone doesn't know yet how much horrible the Phelps family is:

Most Hated Family In America

Crazy Phelps Family On Trya
He who wishes to be rich in a day will be hanged in a day. --Leonardo Da Vinci

CastleIsland

Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:41 am

Quoting NWA742 (Reply 4):
I personally know an ex-Navy SEAL and I'd bet you my life savings that if they showed up at the funeral of anyone related to him, he'd be pulling out his fists or his guns.

And while I completely understand that, it's the wrong way to go about it. We don't want the good people risking jail time. Give these turds an inch of rope. As I posted just before you, this "church" is now in the unenviable position of declaring they can pay (and pay, and pay, and pay), or they risk defying the court order.

Let them fuck themselves.
"People don't do what they believe in, they just do what's most convenient, then they repent." - Dylan

UALPHLCS

Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:05 am

Are these the people who picketed with signs saying "9-11 was a gift from God" ?
A little less Hooah, and a little more Dooah.

Klaus

Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:19 am

Finally!!!  bigthumbsup 

If anybody had it coming, it was them!

Someone had to give them an advance on the mountain of bad karma they have amassed by now!  yuck   hypnotized 

ConcordeBoy

Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:28 am

Quoting UALPHLCS (Reply 7):
"9-11 was a gift from God" ?

Yes.

And the same for the Tsunami, Katrina, AIDS, SARS, etc.
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

searpqx

Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:29 am

Are these the people who picketed with signs saying "9-11 was a gift from God" ?

One and the same!
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

carmenlu15

Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:55 am

Beautiful, just beautiful! Couldn't happen to a nicer man Big grin

Quoting Rammstein (Reply 5):

Or just check the "Related Topics" at the bottom... plenty of fodder here.
Don't expect to see me around that much (if at all) -- the contact link should still work, though.

FlyDeltaJets87

Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:56 am

I love the Hannity & Colmes segment where Phelps is a guest and even Colmes is like "What is wrong with you!?!?"

Yeup. Along with the "God Hates Fags" and "Thank God for Dead Soldiers" signs. At one point they were going to go picket their message at the funeral of those kids who were held hostage and killed in Pennsylvania. Their honest belief is all these bad things (terror attacks, soldiers killed in combat, AIDS, etc.) are God's way of punishing the US because of our "tolerance" of homosexuals (I put that in quotes to mean it's obviously debateable and subject to opinion).

Quoting NWA742 (Reply 4):

I'd be content with just unloading some paintball or airsoft rounds on them (Phelps and Company) as while my funeral procession drives by. I would LOVE to see that headline in the news. "Phelps and Company lit up with paintballs as funeral procession passes by."  biggrin 

[Edited 2007-04-14 03:27:15]
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

CastleIsland

Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:15 am

Damn, I've never seen those clips, but I forced mysefl to check it out. What disturbs me most is the complete brainwashing of the daughters. There's no hope of intellectual reason and discourse, and they (all of them) are so sure they are correct in these matters.

We are a bastion of free speech, and we cannot control how a parent raises a child, as long as abuse is not involved. Jeez, I'd argue that mental abuse is almost going on here, but where the hell do we draw the line?

Sad bunch of mother fuckers. Ooops, in their case, that's gay. So they are hypocrites by their mere position. Got 'em.

allstarflyer

Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:22 am

Unfortunately, yes, from what I saw in that 1st video. Sick how they ignore how Christ also sat down with sinners and ate with them. This group is going to evaporate faster than the shakers. Who would want to reproduce among these folks?

-R
Living the American Dream

MDorBust
Topic Author

Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:26 am

Quoting Allstarflyer (Reply 14):
Who would want to reproduce among these folks?

Thankfully, the only kind of reproduction open to them is illegal in... well, I hope everywhere.
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

NWA742

Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:38 am

Quoting CastleIsland (Reply 6):
And while I completely understand that, it's the wrong way to go about it. We don't want the good people risking jail time.

Temporary insanity?  Wink

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

fridgmus

Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:47 am

Quoting CastleIsland (Reply 13):
What disturbs me most is the complete brainwashing of the daughters. There's no hope of intellectual reason and discourse, and they (all of them) are so sure they are correct in these matters.

Sounds like a pretty good definition of the Phelps family: Inbreeding! Hey Fred, quit porking your sister!  vomit 

I know we have Freedom of Speech in this country, but damn, these inbreds just push it too far. I get so enraged when I hear about this asshole, his so-called church and his freak-shit family picketing the funerals of our brave Defenders.

Rot in Hell Freddy, you worthless C***sucker!

Rant over, BP coming down.
The Lockheed Super Constellation, the REAL Queen of the Skies!

TPAnx

Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:50 am

I've read that this group is well armed with video cameras..to collect evidence ..and later money,.,.if anyone lays a hand on them....
TPAnx
I read the news today..oh boy

UALPHLCS

Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:55 am

Quoting ConcordeBoy (Reply 9):

Quoting Searpqx (Reply 10):

I had an unpleasant run in with these people. That sign about 9-11 infuriated me and I got into it with one of them my brother-in-law had to pull me off.

As much as I am for free speech, these people make me sick. Freedom of speech gives you the right to make an ass out of yourself.

Just be careful who you exercise your rights around.

These Phelps characters didn't reckon with a 6'5" 265lbs guy who knew people on Flts 175 and 93. Who went to Victor Saracini's funeral. They got a full taste of me. The cop near by God love just shrugged when they complained.

I channeled R. Lee Ermy and got right up in there. God it felt good to let them have it.

RayChuang

Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:41 pm

What is interesting is that Fred Phelps' views are NOT shared by other evangelicals in the USA. In fact, the vast majority of Christians in the USA want him to just go away.

TedTAce

Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:02 pm

I'm glad Phelps is getting this little slap on the wrist. I can't wait untill someone throughly BITCH slaps the fuck out of him using this precedent.
This space intentionally left blank

Falcon84

Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:23 pm

Wonder if anyone could make "God Hates Fred Phelps and His Family" T-shirts?
Work Right, Fly Hard

san747

Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:28 pm

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 12):

I love the Hannity & Colmes segment where Phelps is a guest and even Colmes is like "What is wrong with you!?!?"

I noticed that too! I was amazed even Colmes thought she was a crazy bitch!

Quoting RayChuang (Reply 20):
What is interesting is that Fred Phelps' views are NOT shared by other evangelicals in the USA. In fact, the vast majority of Christians in the USA want him to just go away.

Interesting... Most average Christians aren't that extreme, for sure, but fundamentalist evangelicals may be more open to Phelp's ideas... That wouldn't be a problem except for the fact that fundamentalist evangelical Christians hold a LOT of power and influence in this country.
Scotty doesn't know...

ZBBYLW

Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:32 pm

Quoting UALPHLCS (Reply 19):
I had an unpleasant run in with these people. That sign about 9-11 infuriated me and I got into it with one of them my brother-in-law had to pull me off.

Out of curiosity, where do they live and protest, do they travel around to many different places or stay in there home town? To be truly honest, I dont know how they are still around can society not take care of these useless assholes our selves?
Keep the shinny side up!

itsjustme

Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:33 pm

The second I am told I have a terminal illness and I have 1 month to live, these are the first assholes I am taking out.

TedTAce

Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:40 pm

Quoting Itsjustme (Reply 25):
these are the first assholes I am taking out

Please make sure you let us know who to send the checks to in your honor.

[Edited 2007-04-14 07:41:49]

MD-90

Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:42 pm

Well, duh. Fred Phelps is as "Christian" as I am a purple people-eater. Jackass.

kiwiinoz

Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:42 pm

I know it's a sensitive topic and all, but these guys have provided nothing but comedy for me from the first time you all introduced me to them on this site. It's so unbelieveable that it's almost like watching some sort of Monty Python sketch. Like the time they picketed the swedish furniture store because a guy in Sweden was prosecuted for being anti gay??!! Now THAT's comedy!!

Malice at this level is laughable, so I am glad they exist for my own enjoyment. I think we should all embrace them as a distraction from normal PC comedy. They are so extreme so it's unlikely they will ever constitute any real threat in terms of their ideals infiltrating society, so there's very little down-side.

And those signs!! You gotta laugh!

I did see the recent films on them picketing funerals, and this is obviousely a different problem, and cannot be taken lightly. I imagine this will put a stop to that.

B777-700

Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:46 pm

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 21):
I can't wait untill someone throughly BITCH slaps the fuck out of him using this precedent.

...and after crippling financial debt, hopefully they'll take a cue from Jim Jones.
If you don't chew Big Red, then @#$% you.

NWA742

Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:55 pm

The second I am told I have a terminal illness and I have 1 month to live, these are the first assholes I am taking out.

Haha - I hope that never happens to you, but if it does - good luck with your goals!

-NWA742

TedTAce

Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:56 pm

Quoting B777-700 (Reply 29):
hopefully they'll take a cue from Jim Jones.

yes  Not that I wish death on them per-say, but if it happened I wouldn't loose any sleep.

tbar220

Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:10 pm

Oh geez, can you imagine what would happen if Phelps went on the Colbert Report? Hilarity could only ensue...
NO URLS in signature

UnknownUser

Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:18 pm

these are the first assholes I am taking out.

Whoa, kind of puts a positive spin on imminent death...

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 26):
Please make sure you let us know who to send the checks to in your honor.

checkmark 
Die Skybus!!! You need to die for the good of the industry!

QFA380

Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:05 pm

Sheesh, you guys should just hurry up and take out these dipshits. 300 million people + more than 300 million guns should = some sorry sons of bitches.

Bar that, the media should really just ignore them, its the only reason they do it. Fred Phelps seems to have become a houshold name in the US. Quite sad when a guy gets famous for being the biggest tool in the world....

Oh well

Cadet985

Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:26 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 22):

How about when Fred Phelps eventually dies, we all go to his funeral, and hold up the following sign: "THANK GOD FRED'S DEAD!!!!"?

Marc

itsonlyme

Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:57 pm

Over here there was a documentary where the BBc's Louis Theroux spent some time with the Phelps family, particularly with the daughters, followed them around and what not, asked them questions. Was really revealing, in terms of showing just how brainwashed the kids are - not just the daughters the very young kids who are also used in the protests and things. After it aired, there were actually people posting comments on the BBC's website saying how this must have been a hoax, cus a family this vile could not possibly exist!

UALPHLCS

Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:55 pm

That's bloody brilliant. I'd buy one of those in a heartbeat. I love it.

Quoting ZBBYLW (Reply 24):
Out of curiosity, where do they live and protest, do they travel around to many different places or stay in there home town?

Apparently they travel around. I saw them in Washington DC. At the Bush inauguration. (I think the support I got is now going to evaporate Big grin) But I understand they go all over the place.

My Brother commands a company of The Old Guard. I'll ask him about these people. If they ever get near Arlington I hope he lets his troops take a few shots at them!

What is interesting is that Fred Phelps' views are NOT shared by other evangelicals in the USA.

Regardless of whether you believe in God or not the teachings of Christ boil down to: forgive one another and love one another. Which is a philosophy even atheists can't argue with. This is the problem I have with Fundamentalists. They've got this Fire and Brimstone, Old Tyme view of a vengeful God. That God actually Hates us or things he created? Even to a religious person that makes no sense what-so-ever.

Didn't he spend 4 Gospels telling us he's NOT a vengeful God?

This Fred Phelps character takes that even one step further, getting into Old Testament stuff. This idiot has such a literal mind he can't tell the difference between an allegory, and literal truth.

Truths can be told in allegory, but don't have to be taken literally. Fred Phelps really thinks this. What a moron.

A330Fan

Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:58 pm

Quoting Itsonlyme (Reply 36):
Over here there was a documentary where the BBc's Louis Theroux spent some time with the Phelps family,

I saw that documentary last week. Really does show how some people can be brainwashed so easily into believing something which is totally untrue/just plain wrong.

Although I don't agree with the War in Iraq, I do have total respect from the men and women of the US armed forces, who serve there, and when one of them dies the ultimate disrespect to these brave men and women is to have a load of inbred idiots come along to their funeral and celebrate their death. It's totally disgraceful.

Hopefully when Fred Phelps dies as Cadet985 said, people should go to his funeral and give those people a taste of their own medicine!

Patrick.
We need a place to kick it. Don't be selfish, Anton! No one else's parents are dead!

bristolflyer

Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:18 pm

Over here there was a documentary where the BBc's Louis Theroux spent some time with the Phelps family,

It's available in youtube. As interesting as I find this family they really shouldn't be given the time of day on these television programs. Getting press coverage is what they want, and there's no such thing as bad publicity.

Let them fester in there own little hell hole.
Fortune favours the brave

RayChuang

Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:10 pm

Quoting UALPHLCS (Reply 37):
This Fred Phelps character takes that even one step further, getting into Old Testament stuff. This idiot has such a literal mind he can't tell the difference between an allegory, and literal truth.

Truths can be told in allegory, but don't have to be taken literally. Fred Phelps really thinks this. What a moron.

One of my neighbors belongs to a local evangelical church and he gets really upset anytime the subject of Fred Phelps is brought up, mostly because it gives evangelicals such a bad name for all the WRONG reasons. He told me the fellow evangelicals he's talked to won't associate with Phelps for numerous reasons.

TedTAce

Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:23 pm

Quoting Cadet985 (Reply 35):
when Fred Phelps eventually dies, we all go to his funeral, and hold up the following sign: "THANK GOD FRED'S DEAD!!!!"?

I'm saving my money for this trip!!! I don't care if my kids have to skip a semester or two in college for me to pay for it... I'm going.

Over here there was a documentary where the BBc's Louis Theroux

it's one of the video clips above..

B777-700

Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:28 am

Quoting UALPHLCS (Reply 37):

That's bloody brilliant. I'd buy one of those in a heartbeat. I love it.

All-righty!

http://www.cafepress.com/godhatesfred

And I'm all for protesting this animal's funeral. Someone keep an ear out for when he finally does us all a favor and bites it. Maybe we can have a "Fred Phelps funeral A.net meet!" Big grin
If you don't chew Big Red, then @#$% you.

UALPHLCS

Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:41 am

Quoting B777-700 (Reply 42):
And I'm all for protesting this animal's funeral. Someone keep an ear out for when he finally does us all a favor and bites it. Maybe we can have a "Fred Phelps funeral A.net meet!"

It doesn't have to be his funeral.

He runs a church. I'm sure they have funeral's all the time. Have some people in Topeka, stand in front of the Westboro Baptist Church on a Sunday with signs that read "God Hates Hypocrites." Or better still "If you can't Forgive you won't be Forgiven."

I'd protest these bastards funerals all damn day.

When bad things happen to Fred Phelps and his followers what message does he get from God?

Love to see what he'd say if a tornado took out his church. That would be the first question I'd ask.

777236ER

Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:03 am

The problem is a lot of people (including Airliners.net members) agree with their fundamental beliefs.
Your bone's got a little machine

ANCFlyer

Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:09 am

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 44):
The problem is a lot of people (including Airliners.net members) agree with their fundamental beliefs.

Agree with what fundamental beliefs? Phelps'?

Geez, I hope you're just  stirthepot . I certainly haven't ever seen "a lot of people (including Airliners.net members)" agreeing with this loonie toon.

Show me one.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

ConcordeBoy

Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:18 am

When was that?

I'd be content with just unloading some paintball

Why waste paintballs when bullets are so much more effective?

This group is going to evaporate faster than the shakers.

They've been around and in force for decades.

Who would want to reproduce among these folks?

Themselves

Probably these people

Quoting Cadet985 (Reply 35):
we all go to his funeral, and hold up the following sign: "THANK GOD FRED'S DEAD!!!!"?

Bound to happen.

ConcordeBoy

Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:33 am

Quoting KiwiinOz (Reply 28):
And those signs!! You gotta laugh!

My former roomate's brother was killed in Iraq. He died when an IED cooked him alive inside his transport vehicle. The heat was so intense that it fused the doors shut-- there was no escape. I wrote about it in this thread: My Roomate's Brother Died In Iraq Last Night (by ConcordeBoy Jun 10 2005 in Non Aviation)

...I came home and found an otherwise bright, energetic, and optimistic young man slumped over, wailing on the kitchen floor because he's so overcome by grief--- and tell me how much I "gotta laugh" at those signs.

You've got some serious growing up to do man.

GDB

Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:51 am

I was aware of these living proofs that interbreeding lowers intelligence, at first through this site, then as mentioned, the BBC's doc a few weeks ago, I am not that surprised that some thought it was an elaborate hoax.

I suppose they might be a symbol of ultimate tolerance, we know the (by our standards) massive amount of gun ownership in the US, we know of the many highly opinionated groups, the strange (also for us), moves from time to time to outlaw burning a flag. The passions such things create.
And yet, this bunch, despite their deliberately provocative-as much as can be imagined, 'protests', they've never ended up being raked by gunfire as they spread their poison.
Nor their 'church', to my knowledge.

I do not recall myself seeing anything resembling the Phelps 'manifesto' on here, a few right wing faith based cases, maybe I don't read enough threads, but is there a lot of homophobia? Aside from adolescent tittering, or maybe those just a little too worried about something that, on the face of it, does not affect them?

The latter might be at the heart of what drives the clearly insane 'Gramps' Phelps, the BBC doc showed that up well enough-his essential insanity.

UALPHLCS

Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:56 am

Quoting ConcordeBoy (Reply 47):
...I came home and found an otherwise bright, energetic, and optimistic young man slumped over, wailing on the kitchen floor because he's so overcome by grief--- and tell me how much I "gotta laugh" at those signs.

I know how you feel.

Seeing that sign, and I tried very hard to ignore it infuriated me. I even walked past them through the crowd. But, I turned around, I heard my brother-in-law shouting for me, but it was like he was a million miles away.

I barely remember all I yelled, something about working for United, knowing people on the planes stuff like that. I do remember distinctly the guy asking the police officer to do something the cop was two feet away. I kinda came out of my blind rage when the cop shrugged.

My brother-in-law by this point was dragging me away, but I remember people shaking my hand, so I must have made some sense. I just don't remember all that came pouring out.

My brother-in-law got us to the Air and Space Museum of all places, and admonished me for putting his clearance at risk. (He works at NSA) He was kidding but I remember being glad he could lighten the mood. Later in year I got my own clearance so I guess attacking Phelp's group doesn't count against you.

There are few groups of people in this world I actually hate. Stalinists, Neo-nazis (especially Illinois Nazis) and these people from Phelps' "church."

Sometimes you just can't "laugh off" cruel ignorance. You have to meet it head on and crush it.