Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

TACAA320

RE: Shooting At VA Tech

Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:29 am

Rage, violence [whatever you call it] is killing us. Columbine or VA Tech. That's simply the most terrifying event of this kind in the U.S.. and around the world.

Peace to the victims.

STOP THE HATE.
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

andessmf

Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:40 am

Quoting TACAA320 (Reply 100):

STOP THE HATE.

It would say is mostly STOP THE INSANITY.

TACAA320

Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:55 am

Quoting AndesSMF (Reply 101):
STOP THE INSANITY.

Also!
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

itsjustme

Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:34 am

Quoting TZ757300 (Reply 97):
They thought that they had isolated it and then thought the area was deemed clear so they lifted the lockdown. They had no iformation that it was going to happen again 2 hrs later. I think the administration of the school acted at the best of their ability.

I don't understand how the school or the police deemed the area was "clear" when the initial shooter was not only not yet in custody, but whose identity had not yet been determined.

AirCop

Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:47 am

Quoting Itsjustme (Reply 103):
I don't understand how the school or the police deemed the area was "clear" when the initial shooter was not only not yet in custody, but whose identity had not yet been determined.

I'm with you on this..don't understand it at all..but then again I wasn't at the scene, and since I worked nights I only found out about the incident while I was at the gym at 2pm MST. Because of the possible mistake the police made declaring the area "all clear" this is going to cost the commonwealth a bundle. My heart goes out to the families that lost love ones.

davestanKSAN

Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:48 am

Good God. How could someone do that. I'm seriously at a loss for words. I don't know what to say other than I offer my sincere condolences to all the victims, their families, classmates, and the whole Virginia Tech family, God be with them all.

pray 

Dave
Yesterday we've sinned, today we move towards God. Touch the sky....love and respect...Safe Star!

tz757300

Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:48 am

Obviously, that area was clear as there was no more shooting for an hour. You don't see towns making everyone go inside there homes after someone is loose after shooting someone and no more shots were fired for a whole 2 hrs. And don't go saying that irrelevant. A university is just like a small town...more like a small city.

andessmf

Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:54 am

Quoting TZ757300 (Reply 106):
Obviously, that area was clear as there was no more shooting for an hour

Report is that the U is 26,000 student, 2900 acres, over 100 buildings and cannot be easily shut down in an instant.

AirCop

Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:56 am

Obviously, that area was clear as there was no more shooting for an hour

Really?

You don't see towns making everyone go inside there homes after someone is loose after shooting someone and no more shots were fired for a whole 2 hrs.

In my experience, after a shooting and the shooter hasn't identified, neighborhoods have remained shut down for well over 2 hours even when no shots have been fired for several hours.

Also been my experience when you get a number of agencies working an incident, (local police, campus police, county sheriff, state patrol just for starters) unless you have a "leader" in charge of the command post, things get messed up.

tz757300

Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:57 am

Quoting AndesSMF (Reply 107):
Report is that the U is 26,000 student, 2900 acres, over 100 buildings and cannot be easily shut down in an instant.

Go figure.

Oh, you forgot to add the countless faculty and facility workers.

OPNLguy

Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:59 am

Quoting STLGph (Reply 28):
Is it just me or if I was put in a line with several others to be shot execution style .... and you've got nothing to lose ... wouldn't you all just rush in for the tackle?

You'd think so, but given the stress of the moment, I think one can also understand the desire to do nothing rather than take a chance of not being one of the lucky ones that survives.

Quoting NWA742 (Reply 44):
My question is - why the hell didn't they shut everything down after the first incident?!

This is a big screwup on the part of the school.

It'll be easy for the media and others to Monday morning QB this event, but look at it this way. You work in a big building that has 2,000 workers. Just down the street, there's a convenience store. Let's further assume a robber goes in there one morning and, unfortunately, shoots and kills both clerks. The initial reaction to such an event is probably going to be that it's an over-and-done event. How many people would even remotely consider the possibility that the same gunman would walk into the crowded office building 2 hours later and start a wholesale massacre?

I'm sure that, in the end, the event will be reviewed for what could have been done better and done sooner, and some changes will probably be made, but I don't think local law enforcement or school officials could have in any way predicted or have prevented the carnage here.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

tz757300

Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:01 am

Quoting AirCop (Reply 108):
Also been my experience when you get a number of agencies working an incident, (local police, campus police, county sheriff, state patrol just for starters) unless you have a "leader" in charge of the command post, things get messed up.

Unfortunately, isn't that the case with most problems of any nature? As an example, on 9/11 there was proven fact there was poor communication between firefighters, police, the government, and basically every agency involved and yes, things did get messed up.

Quoting AirCop (Reply 108):
In my experience, after a shooting and the shooter hasn't identified, neighborhoods have remained shut down for well over 2 hours even when no shots have been fired for several hours.

Perhaps our town is on the ball of things, but I've never seen an area shut down here for more than 30 min for shootings.

ANCFlyer

Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:04 am

Quoting AirCop (Reply 104):
I'm with you on this..don't understand it at all..but then again I wasn't at the scene

checkmark 

Rather curious isn't it.

Obviously, that area was clear as there was no more shooting for an hour.

Quite a difference Sir, between perhaps a Drive By in a neighborhood and this type of incident.

But, as AirCop said, I wasn't there. I didn't make the calls.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

tz757300

Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:06 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 112):
Quite a difference Sir, between perhaps a Drive By in a neighborhood and this type of incident.

Well, as stated, they didn't know this accident wasn't isolated. They thought it was isolated and released the lock down in that area once there was a period of non-fire.

itsjustme

Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:16 am

Obviously, that area was clear as there was no more shooting for an hour. You don't see towns making everyone go inside there homes after someone is loose after shooting someone and no more shots were fired for a whole 2 hrs. And don't go saying that irrelevant. A university is just like a small town...more like a small city.

OK, first of all, this isn't a small town or city - this is a college university. The only likeness between a small town and this university is perhaps population. Given the history of shootings at these types of institutions, one would think the university and police authorities would over react, rather than under react as they quite obviously did in this case. They had a multiple shooting on campus with no suspect in custody yet they allowed things to continue in a "business as usual" manner. The first shootings occurred at 0715 and were carried out by a gunman armed with multiple weapons, yet advisories/warnings about the shooting incidents, both shooting incidents, didn't go out until 0926 - over 2 hours after the first multiple shooting occurred. Now, maybe a multiple shooting on campus is a regular occurrence at VA Tech but I think waiting over 2 hours to make students and faculty aware of it shows, at the very least, extremely poor judgment if not negligence of immense proportions on the part of the university.

Mikey711MN

Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:21 am

Well, the Westboro Baptist Church has plans for a "ceremony" at VT.

Disgusting.

-Mike
I plan on living forever. So far, so good...

tz757300

Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:26 am

Quoting Itsjustme (Reply 114):
Given the history of shootings at these types of institutions, one would think the university and police authorities would over react, rather than under react as they quite obviously did in this case. They had a multiple shooting on campus with no suspect in custody yet they allowed things to continue in a "business as usual" manner.

Personally, I don't think they knew how exactly to act. They've never experienced anything close to this and maybe their plans may have not been sufficient enough to cover all basis of such a huge event like this.

Also, I think they may have let thing "go as usual" because I don't think they wanted the university to go in a state of chaos. Maybe just to deal with the affected areas and let the unaffected areas go about as normal that way they could concentrate all their resources just on those areas. Its just speculation.

andessmf

Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:32 am

Quoting TZ757300 (Reply 116):
I don't think they knew how exactly to act.

Their original belief is that they were dealing with a domestic dispute. 20/20 now says they were wrong.

ORFflyer

Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:37 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 55):
Firstly, my heart goes out to all the victims and their families. Senseless, absolutely senseless.

checkmark 

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 35):
Oh wait... VA might have laws banning hi-cap mags.

Nineteen I think.

Quoting BladeLWS (Reply 42):
Indeed, campus security and the local police are going to be deep fried over this...

No way - exactly how quick do you think they could analyse the situation.

My question is - why the hell didn't they shut everything down after the first incident?!

They did as much as possible. Only after the immediate situation appeared to be "over", did the second incident start clear across campus. VT is a HUGE campus. In your town, do they "lock-down" the east end when an event is happening in the west end?

This is a big screwup on the part of the school.

Exactly how? Later in this post will be a comment about that...

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 50):
With the deaths now reaching 32 or more, this was an act of well planned terror. Witnesses noted he had 2 guns, much extra ammo

Very well planed - this was not a temper-tantrum.

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 50):
had chains to hold doors closed and so on

At 6:45 eastern time, NBC says that's still unconfirmed.

Quoting Klima (Reply 61):
Someone posted on another messageboard that the shooter wasn't a student at the school, but went there to look for his girlfriend who is a student.

And I still find it interesting that a full profile hasn't been aired yet, at least that I've seen. I've been surfing through all the channels.

Quoting Allstarflyer (Reply 92):
The most pointed question yet.

No way. There are a TON of questions to which I'm more interested in hearing answers.

Quoting GSM763 (Reply 95):
Someone clearly made a mistake but it clearly a massive communiction breakdown and poor policy when students are informed by email.

Massive communication breakdown???? How the hell do you inform 20,000 plus that there is a shooter on the loose?

I think the administration of the school acted at the best of their ability.

From what I hear at this point, no question they did what they could do.

I wouldn't say that really. With all the email checking that students do all the time, it was pretty logical to send out a mass email. Sure, not everyone would be see it in time, but you also cant get in contact with everyone by a mass phone call of the sorts. You can go around to every area tring to warn 9,000 on-campus students about the situation, but you also have 14,000 off-campus students arriving. Pretty hard to control all of them as well.

checkmark 

Quoting Bagpiper (Reply 98):
Should school's issue their 20,000+ students pagers that buzz when there's an emergency like this?

checkmark  Not to mention there are what, 20 or 30 schools in the country..... could get expensive.

Yes i'm defending the school. My dad's an alumni, I have friend's at the school, I have friends with children at the school, I've coached kids that are now at the school, I've been to Blacksburg and VT many, many times. It's a damn safe place, make no mistake about it. To be suggesting otherwise is just wrong. To blatantly imply that the school security, or local authorities didn't handle it as best they could, with the information they had at the time, is short-sighted, and has a hidden agenda IMO.

It was freaking chaos this morning, and 30+ people are dead. One who should be.

comorin

Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:55 am

I believe at least one of our a.netters is at VT and I hope he is safe.

How horrific to see students who have worked so hard to get into VT meet the end of their dreams today, and their devastated families too. Bless their young souls.

I do also want to express my outrage at the Columbia U student who was raped, tied up, eyelids cut out and set fire to. She luckily managed to escape as the fire burnt her bindings.

Those of you in Military or Law Enforcement careers are probably more acquainted with the face of Evil that stalks us, but to us civvies, it's incomprehensible.

PC12Fan

Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:03 am

I believe in the right to bear arms, but this..... this ... I just......

- why take out people that have never, ever had an impact in this persons life.

If I was the all mighty creator, I'd have a very serious problem letting him through the pearly gates, no matter what "the policy" is.

When things like this have happened in the past, my reaction was always, "my God how tragic". This one, when I heard, just made me stare into space, without words. I can't imagine what V. Tech is going through, but I have to say that we are all from Virginia tonight.

You are all in our thoughts tonight........and for a very long time to come.

crying 
Just when I think you've said the stupidest thing ever, you keep talkin'!

Evan767

Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:23 am

Damn, I hope none of the kids from my high school were shot. I'll hear about it tomorrow at school I bet.
The proper term is "on final" not "on finals" bud...

Adam T.

Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:40 am

My thoughts are with the students, faculty, and family members of those associated with Virginia Tech this evening. As a college senior I have to say this is really bothering me. I just wonder what if I was a student at VA Tech or if something like this happened at my school.

planespotting

Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:07 am

Quoting TACAA320 (Reply 100):
STOP THE HATE.

Amen.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

As a student at a university much like Va. Tech -- same enrollment #'s, same campus size, same type of school (large public university) -- it was an incredibly chilling moment when i read "at least 20 dead" the first time this morning.

It was hard to turn away from the coverage for most of the day, but I ended up going to campus and working.

I was working on my Masters Thesis in the library, waiting for my 71 page document to print when I looked around at the room. The lab I was in is pretty large...many desks, some with computers, shelves, your average run of the mill media lab at a large public university...

I thought to myself, "we're all sitting ducks right here..." I counted two exits and i calculated how long it would take me to get to the nearest one...at the same time envisioning the mad rush to each door if a gunman had been present, complete with bodies, book bags, bullets, etc...

Quite the scary, morbid thought yes...but at the same time very realistic and probably not too far off from what happened at many buildings in Blacksburg today.

Truly a terrible day in America for all, but especially for those affected, obviously...think how many millions of kids (myself included) thought to themselves today

"Thank God that's not me...there but for the grace of God go I."

And think how many more parents entertained the idea of what would happen had their child been involved in something like this...truly, my heart goes out to all those affected by this extremely tragic event.
Do you like movies about gladiators?

jetmech

Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:11 am

I'm gonna add my sincere condolences to the list on this sad, tragic day  pray  . I am currently a student in a university engineering faculty, so I really feel for these innocent people who where so cruelly cut down during the process of their daily business.

Quoting Bagpiper (Reply 66):
The thing I don't get - if the students were shot in execution style, they all knew they were going to die. So why didn't they all rush the gun man?

I too would like to think that I would have the presence of mind to rush a gunman who was about to put a bullet in my head, but I'm also realistic in assuming that I would be S*** frozen scared with fear to do anything.

Quoting 71Zulu (Reply 7):
Would have been nice if someone had a gun to defend themselves and others but I would assume handguns would not be allowed on campus.

If we took this to the extreme, and every person had a gun, would you really feel safer  Confused. Would you feel safer if every country on Earth had a nuclear arsenal  Confused. I must admit that I was somewhat disturbed by a recent thread on the gun collections of various A'net members. I make no judgement what so ever on these people, but it just struck me as odd that the discussion on guns was as innocuous as a discussion by philatelist's on their stamp collections.

Regards, JetMech
JetMech split the back of his pants. He can feel the wind in his hair :shock: .

af773atmsp

Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:31 am

Now Fox 9 News says that 33 people are dead. This is indeed a horrible tragedy. And the worst in US history.  Sad
DC10-40,MD88,A319,A320,A332,717,722,733,737,738,752,ATR-72,736,788,74M
SY,DL,FI,FL,BA,EI,NW,MG,DY,EZY,F9,WN,SN,ET,SK,KL,B6
Too many airports to fit in signature.

bingo

Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:33 am

The winds here in Virginia have been so bad these past few days that they werent able to fly Medivac choppers to get the critical out. Its a shame that they couldnt have gotten the victims to the large trauma centers mainly found in the northern part of the state like Fairfax, GW or even the nearby University of Virginia Medical center. Of all days for this to happen  Sad

Here is a look at Roanoke airport. You can see the media vulchers flying in on their Netjets and Charters.

http://flightaware.com/live/airport/...;order=actualarrivaltime;sort=DESC

My sincerest condolences to the victims and their families...

N231YE

Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:39 am

As a college student myself...I am beginning to feel the effects. My university just sent an email to the entire student body notifying them about the safety measures already in place, and the university also urged all students to re-read the section in the handbook/policies/guidelines over emergency handling situations.

My condolences to the students. As it is looking so far, the majority of the deaths appear to be random people, having little, if anything to do with the killer.

>>People who randomly kill deserve a spot in the ice for which they are to be buried whole...under the watchful eye of Satin (*Ref. to Dante's Inferno).

[Edited 2007-04-17 04:44:52]

itsjustme

Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:06 pm

Quoting ORFflyer (Reply 118):
They did as much as possible. Only after the immediate situation appeared to be "over", did the second incident start clear across campus. VT is a HUGE campus. In your town, do they "lock-down" the east end when an event is happening in the west end?

Actually the two shooting scenes are within 1/2 mile of each other. I respect your right to make your point, just don't embellish the facts to do so. Also, to answer your question - yes, I have seen areas much larger than just a half mile locked down when we've had a multiple shooting with the responsible still at large and unaccounted for.

Less than a year ago, a single shooting occurred off campus and the campus was closed because the shooter was believed to be in the area. In this case, there were multiple shootings on campus with the gunman still at large and unidentified, yet classes and campus activities were allowed to continue. Call me an armchair quarterback if you wish but, given my experience and training, I think the authorities were remiss in the way the first shootings were handled.

UALPHLCS

Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:15 pm

This is indeed a horrible tragedy.

The news reports I've read are chilling. I can't even imagine what it must have been like.

I don't like to see these news reports blaming the School Administration however. Not all the facts are out and the media is whipping the families of VA Tech students into a frenzy.

The media has to back off here.

They second guess everything right away before all the facts are known. People who make no real decisions are constantly questioning those who do.

I'm not taking the school administrator's side just yet, I'd just like to see some restraint. Let the people in charge figure all this out.

In addition, I think the angry parents ought to calm down, before allowing the media to corner them with insensitive indiscreet questions while still wound up and in a state of shock and horror.

People are saying things now in emotional states when they simply ought not be talking to the press.
A little less Hooah, and a little more Dooah.

allstarflyer

Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:58 pm

Quoting UALPHLCS (Reply 129):
In addition, I think the angry parents ought to calm down, before allowing the media to corner them with insensitive indiscreet questions while still wound up and in a state of shock and horror.

I'll start with where I disagree with you. I wouldn't blame a parent one bit for breaking a camera with the forehead of some snot-nosed reporter.

The media has to back off here.

Agreed (but we both know the inevitability of that).

They second guess everything right away before all the facts are known. People who make no real decisions are constantly questioning those who do.

checkmark 

Let the people in charge figure all this out.

checkmark  Let's hope they do .

-R
Living the American Dream

turbo7x7

Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:30 pm

Quoting Itsjustme (Reply 128):
Less than a year ago, a single shooting occurred off campus and the campus was closed because the shooter was believed to be in the area. In this case, there were multiple shootings on campus with the gunman still at large and unidentified, yet classes and campus activities were allowed to continue. Call me an armchair quarterback if you wish but, given my experience and training, I think the authorities were remiss in the way the first shootings were handled.

I hope I'm wrong, but yeah something smells fishy at this point. I suspect some heads will roll within campus security and/or police. . . and there could be HUGE payouts to the affected families a few years down the line.

I'm sure security departments all over the country (not just campuses, but corporate security as well) will be reviewing procedures and double-checking their preparedness for "unexpected situations" in the weeks and months to come.

pilotaydin

Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:34 pm

oh my god, i just arrived from stuttgart now and heard the news....i was supposed to visit my best friend at tech this time of year but because of flight scheduling i never got my time off..... i still can't get in touch with my friend i really hope he's ok....what the hell is wrong with these people?

RIP to those poor young people and their families will never be the same...
The only time there is too much fuel onboard, is when you're on fire!

Alessandro

Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:46 pm

Gunman seem to have killed his gf first and another student who tried to calm him down, the gunman seem to have been an 24-year old exchange student from Peoples republic of China with a visa from Shanghai. He seem to have accused his gf of being unfaithful, may the victims souls rest in peace.

[Edited 2007-04-17 08:52:07]
From New Yorqatar to Califarbia...

itsjustme

Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:06 pm

Quoting Alessandro (Reply 133):
the gunman seem to have been an 24-year old exchange student from Peoples republic of China with a visa from Shanghai.

In case anyone other than me was wondering, I think this is the source for the above:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,266463,00.html

saxdiva

Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:45 pm

Quoting N231YE (Reply 127):
As a college student myself...I am beginning to feel the effects. My university just sent an email to the entire student body notifying them about the safety measures already in place, and the university also urged all students to re-read the section in the handbook/policies/guidelines over emergency handling situations.

The president of my campus sent out a similar message to student, faculty, and staff.
I hope that, in our rush to blame, we don't forget that things like this rarely occur in a vacuum.

Please, everyone--give someone an encouraging word tomorrow. Goodwill only *seems* insignificant in small doses...

-Leanne
See terms for details....

ltbewr

Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:25 pm

There is a thread on the main Civil Forum that DL and it's subs are offering free travel to near Va. Tech for the family members. Probably other airlines will also add to that offer today.
Of course, I bet today (Tuesday) there will be the shrill and useless calls by some groups and politicians on issues of gun control, how student visas are issued (if true that the murderer was from China on a student visa), as well as the violence in our media (movies, music, video games).
Hopefully on a more constructive note in the next few days, college and school security will get some attention. Probably the police and security of educational facilities throughout the USA will review their procedures and note to the students and staff on their part to protect themselves from such infrequent violent acts and other security issues. College campuses are very difficult to police and prevent such events without huge dollar costs, the loss of the educational collegiality and probably wouldn't work anyway.

ORFflyer

Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:39 pm

Actually the two shooting scenes are within 1/2 mile of each other. I respect your right to make your point, just don't embellish the facts to do so.

I didn't embellish - a 1/2 mile is a pretty good distance relative to a school campus. The first shooting was of two people at 7:15am. All indications were of an isolated incident, and the perpertrator had disappeared. More than 2-1/2 hours later did the second shootings start across campus.

Call me an armchair quarterback if you wish but, given my experience and training, I think the authorities were remiss in the way the first shootings were handled.

Experiences and situations vary.

I have plenty of respect for you and your training. And I believe you have some points, don't get me wrong. But until all the questions can be answered, we're all armchairing......

itsjustme

Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:45 pm

Quoting ORFflyer (Reply 137):
But until all the questions can be answered, we're all armchairing......

checkmark  Point well taken.

FriendlySkies
Topic Author

Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:33 pm

Quoting N231YE (Reply 127):
My university just sent an email to the entire student body notifying them about the safety measures already in place, and the university also urged all students to re-read the section in the handbook/policies/guidelines over emergency handling situations.

As did mine...we're also having a remembrance ceremony, as my school has a lot of close ties with VT.

mika

Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:41 pm

http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/nyheter/story/0,2789,1047661,00.html

Apparently that guy has been accused of being the killer, the article says that all the descriptions of the killer happened to match with him and all he wants now is to clean his name. Apparently he has some kind of blog where he has trying to do the above, the article also goes on to say that he has been using the TV media to ridden all suspicions of him as the killer.

Wouldnt want to be this guy i can say that!

UALPHLCS

Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:47 pm

Quoting Allstarflyer (Reply 130):
I'll start with where I disagree with you. I wouldn't blame a parent one bit for breaking a camera with the forehead of some snot-nosed reporter.

Actually, I wasn't saying just that. I wouldn't blame a parent doing that either.

I just hear some news reports from angry parents and students, angry with the School Administrators. I think that a lot of that anger is natural, it's part of the grieving process. Parents need to stay away from making comments to the media about the incident until they are out of the grieving process.

The Media isn't going to want that. They thrive on the emotional distraught comments. Comments that once the parents and students have calmed down wouldn't have necessarily said.
A little less Hooah, and a little more Dooah.

767Lover

Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:18 pm

I don't know anyone at Va Tech personally, but I came across a lot of really good people who traveled from there to the Peach Bowl in ATL a few months ago. I really feel for them.

What a horrendous tragedy. The guy from Georgia who died had terrific ambitions (to be a psychologist) and was about to graduate.

As for how it was handled after the first shooting, I really can't place any blame on the administration or security. I'm sure it seemed like an isolated or domestic incident at the time. It's easy to judge after the fact.

LON-CHI

Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:39 pm

The gunman has been id'd as Cho Seung-Hui, 23, a senior from South Korea.

[Edited 2007-04-17 15:42:33]

sudden

Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:16 pm

Quoting Turbo7x7 (Reply 131):
hope I'm wrong, but yeah something smells fishy at this point. I suspect some heads will roll within campus security and/or police. . . and there could be HUGE payouts to the affected families a few years down the line.

As a parent I can tell you that the last thing they think of right now is the money they might get because of that someone screwed up.
Maybe I missjudged your post, and you didnt mean it like I read it. In that case I offer you my sincere apology!

Quoting LON-CHI (Reply 143):

Can you give the cource of this information?

Aim for the sky!
Sudden
When in doubt, flat out!

LON-CHI

Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:20 pm

Quoting Sudden (Reply 144):

Sorry, I should have included that in my post. Most major news outlets should be carrying it now. I originally saw it here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18148802/

allstarflyer

Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:23 pm

Quoting UALPHLCS (Reply 141):
Comments that once the parents and students have calmed down wouldn't have necessarily said.

Point taken.

Quoting Sudden (Reply 144):
Quoting LON-CHI (Reply 143):

It's on cnn.com's home page.

-R
Living the American Dream

na

Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:08 am

I just read that a 75-year old college professor from Israel, himself a holocaust survivor, died but saved the life of his students by holding back the killer for the trime his students could jump out of the window. This man is a true hero, dying when facing this madman worse than most Nazi killers he must have met earlier in his life.

Falcon84

Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:23 am

Haven't commented much on this. To be honest, not much needs to be said. It is just a horrific act. My prayers for the victimes, their families and friends, and the entire VT community.

There will be time to perpahs point fingers at anyone to blame; a time to wonder if the ambulance-chasers will be out in force, and a time to argue guns-again. But the time is not now.
Work Right, Fly Hard

bagpiper

Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:27 am

Quoting NA (Reply 147):
I just read that a 75-year old college professor from Israel, himself a holocaust survivor, died but saved the life of his students by holding back the killer for the trime his students could jump out of the window. This man is a true hero, dying when facing this madman worse than most Nazi killers he must have met earlier in his life.

And something like THAT is what I was talking about here:

Quoting Bagpiper (Reply 66):
The thing I don't get - if the students were shot in execution style, they all knew they were going to die. So why didn't they all rush the gun man?

Hats off to this guy. I do find it sad though, that none of his students ran to help him.