RobertNL070

RE: How Much Do You Drive In A Day?

Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:26 am

My commute is approx. 1½ kilometres/1 mile there and back. Depending on the traffic, about five minutes on my bike  biggrin 

I don't drive much, only to the supermarket for the heavy stuff, to the garden centre, to the in-laws, that sort of stuff.

However when I do drive, it's mainly long distance. My last trip to the UK was almost 1600 km/1000 miles. In three weeks time we leave for Spain via the south of France. I estimate a grand total of 7000 kilometres/4400 miles, with the biggest one-day stretch being between The Hague and Avignon, some 1100 kilometres/690 miles. And my partner cannot help me, he doesn't drive!!

Robert  bouncy 
Born to be wild ...... until about 9 p.m.
Home = RTM, Rotterdam The Hague.

cxsjr

Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:27 am

When I'm working, I drive a 14 mile round trip to work. When I'm off, I try not to use my car, using the tram instead (which sadly goes nowhere near work!).

The most I've ever driven in a day is approx 800 miles from Bedford via Oxford and Cheltenham to Glasgow then back to Cardiff.

My longest drive in a short space of time was probably from San Diego to Seattle via Santa Barabara, Yosemite, Lake Tahoe, SFO, the winelands, Crater Lake, Reedsport and the Olympic Penninsula - around 3500 miles driven in 2 weeks and loved every minute!

I estimate to have driven around 45,000± miles during my many trips to the North America, taking in 38 states and 5 provinces.
The world is a book, those who do not travel read only one page ....

himmat01

Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:33 pm

My home is 4 kms from my workplace. I drive only 8 kms on most days.
An airplane might disappoint any pilot but it'll never surprise a good one.

ScarletHarlot

Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:10 pm

Quoting Kmh1956 (Reply 15):
At the very tender age of 50, I finally got my driver's license and I'm hooked!!

I'll say it again - you go girl!!! How fun, a new man and a driver's license!  Smile

As for my driving habits...I work from home so my commute is zero. During curling season, I go to the club three times a week and that is 40 miles round trip. We live somewhat out in the boonies, so the grocery store is five miles away and so is 'town' and its assorted services. I can easily drive 50 miles in an errand trip. But then there are many days when the car doesn't leave the garage.

Short answer - it varies!
But that was when I ruled the world

mandala499

Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:46 pm

Jakarta - a little village on the south coast of Java... 782km in a day... 18hrs on the road... including rests, lunch, dinner, breakfast... Culminating in a 1 hr of crossing a small mountain range on a bloody narrow road with little fencing on the side...

And then 782km back 5 days after.

If only there are more expressways where I live, that can all be churned in 7 - 9 hrs.

Not sure how long Southampton to Edinburgh is, but that's the other "long hauler" I did.... and Sydney-Armidale-Lismore and Lismore-Sydney.... *that was a sleepy drive*

Mandala499
When losing situational awareness, pray Cumulus Granitus isn't nearby !

Springbok747

Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:47 pm

I drive around 25 kms everyday. Sometimes, its around 35 if I go to University as well. The farthest I have driven is PER-ADL which is around 4000kms.
אני תומך בישראל

melpax

Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:31 pm

I normally do around 30kms a day driving to & from work. My office is in the suburbs, if I worked in the city, I'd be taking the train to work.

The furthest I've driven is from Melbourne-Brisbane and back, around 1900km each way.
Essendon - Whatever it takes......

MCOflyer

Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:19 pm

Longest I driven is to Ocala and back to Rockledge which 240 miles in one day.

MCOflyer
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

don81603

Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:08 am

I have been driving for a living since April 1985, first a taxi, and since Jan 1994, a tractor trailer Over the years, I have accumulated over 2,000,000 miles with 2 preventable accidents, one non preventable, fine for smoking in the workplace and 2 speeding tickets. I average 650 to 750 miles per day, and my one day record was 1341 paid miles from Toronto to Winnipeg (21 hours).
Big version: Width: 1600 Height: 1200 File size: 416kb
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

ScarletHarlot

Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:01 pm

Quoting Don81603 (Reply 58):
my one day record was 1341 paid miles from Toronto to Winnipeg (21 hours).

Dang! 21 hours from Toronto to Winnipeg? Which way did you go, through Canada or the States? That's nuts!  Smile

ThereandBack

Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:25 pm

I go from my house to school everyday so two miles back and forth four total each day and then sometimes if I go out I drive 7 or 8 miles on top of that. One the weekends I go 10 miles to my dad's house.

ANCFlyer

Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:41 pm

Working dispatch, about 3.3 miles, unless I get a relief for lunch . . .

Working patrol, who knows, depends on the day, the traffic, the events, the tourists, the weather - especially the weather . . . . 300 miles to a thousand.

Nothing unusual.

Quoting ScarletHarlot (Reply 53):
How fun, a new man and a driver's license!

Oh, Lawd . . .  duck 

{Shhh} Scarlet, don't let Mr. Harlot hear you say that . . .  laughing 
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

ScarletHarlot

Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:59 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 61):
Scarlet, don't let Mr. Harlot hear you say that . . .

Fun for KMH, Pep dear...wouldn't be fun for me.  Smile

don81603

Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:36 pm

Quoting ScarletHarlot (Reply 59):
21 hours from Toronto to Winnipeg? Which way did you go, through Canada or the States? That's nuts!

Toronto, North Bay, (fuel and bathroom) Thunder Bay, (fuel and bathroom) Winnipeg (home and to bed!) I must say, what kept me going was, I met a friend in King City, and we talked on the CB all the way to Thunder Bay, where he lives. After he went his way, I was planning to stop, but I met another friend at the truck stop, and he had just started his shift, so I decided to talk to him for another hour or so, and the next thing we knew, we were in Winnipeg.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

noelg

Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:58 pm

Work is 6 miles from home, I usually drive but at the moment I've been catching the bus for a few weeks as I've not had a car! Takes about 15 minutes each way through country lanes when driving, about 30 minutes on the bus. Sometimes we drive down to Nottingham in the evening to see Mrs G's parents, that'll add about another 25 miles each way.

Every now and then I'll drive for work, normally to the London/Oxford area, or maybe up to Leeds. Then there's the spotting trips to MAN/LHR etc.

Longest I've done in a day was Leicester - Coventry - Biggin Hill - Gatwick - Heathrow - Coventry - Leicester, about a 450 mile trek, all in a Fiat Punto!

We're going on holiday to Cornwall from Sutton in Ashfield in a couple of weeks, that's 350 miles each way.