tbar220
Topic Author

Help With Construction/Woodshop

Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:46 am

Hi everybody. I am going to be working on a weather station for the school I work on. Here are some of the details:

- It will be a 3 x 3 x 3 ft. box, with stuff inside
- I want to place it up three feet off the ground (PVC pipe?)
- The box needs to keep the instruments on the inside safe from water while at the same time have access to air for meteorological measurements

Now, I've never done a project like this before but I was put in charge of it. Any people with construction/woodshop experience who can help me out, give me ideas / instructions on how to go about doing this? Thank you.
NO URLS in signature

kaddyuk

RE: Help With Construction/Woodshop

Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:54 am

Tip... dont use paper...
Whoever said "laughter is the best medicine" never had Gonorrhea

ORFflyer

Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:59 am

Quoting Kaddyuk (Reply 1):
Tip... dont use paper...

Better tip - think it through before you start. Plan for all facets of construction including construction materials, fasteners, weather-proofing, etc. For your "feet", PVC could work, depending on the weight of the structure. Definitely go with schedule 40 PVC rather than Type EB. It is much stronger. Good luck!

Bongodog1964

Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:55 am

You need louvres in the sides to allow air flow round the instrunents.

JAGflyer

Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:34 am

Take this advice from a guy who took woodshop (and loved/did well) in grades 9/10/11. How about building the box out of plastic with the joints caulked with silicone. If you must use wood you can plane/joint some kind of wood of your choice. Preferably the wood should be dressed and 3/4" thick. Then waterseal it and tightly glue the edges (clamp it overnight). Then for the openings you can drill holes. For the flap that opens to insert/remove/maintain the instruments inside you can use some type of rubber weatherstripping to make it water tight. As for the feet, PVC pipe will work.

[Edited 2007-04-23 22:36:30]
If you flew today, thank a Flight Dispatcher!

bhmbaglock

Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:17 am

Quoting ORFflyer (Reply 2):
Definitely go with schedule 40 PVC rather than Type EB.

If you're going to use PVC, go with Schedule 80, again much stronger than 40. Even so, I wouldn't recommend it as it will get brittle from heat and sunlight within 1-2 years unless you go with an electrical grade rated for outdoor use, i.e. UV resistant.

For the box, I'd use treated lumber and/or marine grade plywood. If you use treated lumber, be sure to either get re-dried lumber or buy the lumber six months ahead and store it in a dry place. The problem is that treating will raise the moisture content drastically and cause noticable linear expansion of the lumber, i.e. a 3.5" 2x4 will typically measure 3.625"-3.75" after treating. It will eventually get back to very close to its original size but the stresses this would put on a water tight structure would definitely cause you great trouble.

Regardless of the materials used, do a good job painting and caulking to make it last.

Another alternative would be to use non-treated lumber and put a conventional shingle or metal roof on it. If you go this way, remember that you will need to put a good size overhang on it or you're back to having water/wind problems.

Have you considered something as simple as just buying a large igloo style doghouse and putting it on a platform?
Where are all of my respected members going?