Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AKLDELNonstop
Topic Author

HKG Stopover

Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:24 am

Hi,

I am thinking of stopping over at HKG on the way to DEL from AKL during Nov end this year. I am thinking of maybe two or three days. I havent been to HKG before(just transfered) so I would like to get tips on the things to be seen in a short time frame for a first time visitor to the city.

Also if I can get recommendations on a decent and not too expensive place to stay. Neither the backpacker types, nor the 5 stars, something in between.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers

JAL777

RE: HKG Stopover

Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:10 am

Stay @ the Eaton - good, basic accomodation for cheap.

In three days, you've got time to walk around Central / Admirality and take the tram up to the peak. Spend another day shopping all the markets in Kowloon (Goldfish, bird, jade, etc.,) and maybe head out to HK Island South (Repulse Bay) for a day at the beach.

Whatver you do, eat lots of dim sum. Big grin

ZBBYLW

Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:35 pm

If you want to have fun take the bus to Stanley, very narrow road, and it just seams that when ever another bus comes by you are going to hit it, other then that there is the usual stuff to do like Kowloon, or Faihuin (spelling WAY off) and just take in the whole city, it is much different there, everyone is in a rush (time is money) but its neat to see.
Keep the shinny side up!

AKLDELNonstop
Topic Author

Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:49 pm

Thanks guys. In terms of sightseeing what are the recommended places. I have heard of a peak or something with a good view what else?

Pardon my ignorance.

Cheers

brettbrett21

Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:24 pm

Victoria Peak, you get to it via the funicular railway/ peak tram that runs from near Hong Kong Park in Central. I imagine the view is amazing....when I got up there it was like being inside a cloud though and I couldn't see anything!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victoria_Peak

I would highly recommend staying at the Salisbury YMCA on the southern tip of Kowloon, next door to the world famous Peninsular hotel. It's not a regular backpacker YMCA, its an actual hotel with very reasonable rates (and AMAZING harbour views if you pay only a little extra, which I'd highly recommend). My room was excellent, very clean and better then what I've had at many Best Western/Holiday Inn's in the US. The location of the hotel is second to none as well.

Also make sure you see the Central-Mid-level escalator...it's free!:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central-Mid-levels_escalator

It's also worth going onto to Lantau to see the giant sitting bronze Budda. Try to go early or you'll be queing for ever! The cable car up to the Budda gives unbelievable views over Chek Lap Kok Airport as well, a must for any plane lover!

There is so much to see and do in Hong Kong it's an amazing city! I'd recommend getting a Lonley Planet or something because you really don't want to waste any time in HK.

I hope you enjoy your stay as I did!
i'm so excited i wish i could wet my pants!

AKLDELNonstop
Topic Author

Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:53 am

Quoting Brettbrett21 (Reply 4):

Thanks a lot for your advice. I will prolly be breaking my trip into two part. Two days on the way to DEL by myself and 4 days on the way back wid family.

And I shall get the Lonely planet.

Thanks again.

flybyguy

Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:06 pm

Harbour Plaza Hong Kong. I stayed there last December and the service was exquisite. I'm not sure what rating this hotel had but it was quite nice and reasonable considering the location (i.e. ~$130 U.S. per night). My room did not have the best of views but it was right in Kowloon and I was able to walk around and explore the area first hand until my more capable Hong Kong friends were able to give me a tour of the whole island later on.
"Are you a pretender... or a thoroughbred?!" - Professor Matt Miller