Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

corey07850
Topic Author

Corzine Caught Speeding... Again

Tue May 01, 2007 7:01 am

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/30/ny...881c338b&ei=5099&partner=TOPIXNEWS

Starts off well with:

“I set a very bad example,” said a contrite Mr. Corzine, who broke his left femur and 11 ribs in the accident, speaking from a wheelchair just outside Cooper University Hospital in Camden, N.J.

His voice breaking with emotion, he added: “I hope the state will forgive me. I will work very hard to set the right kind of example.”

But then as he left the hospital:

"No one in the motorcade used emergency lights, as his driver had been doing at the time of the accident. They kept to a pace of about 70 miles per hour, even though the posted limit is 55 on the stretch of Interstate 295 that leads to Drumthwacket, the governor’s official mansion in Princeton, where Mr. Corzine will spend the next stage of his recovery."

Some example...

ANCFlyer

RE: Corzine Caught Speeding... Again

Tue May 01, 2007 7:09 am

Hey, here's a newflash for you. . . .

I want YOU to go out on 295 at stick to 55mph . . . . after you're run into the ditch a couple dozen times and suffer uncounted gestures of "road rage", I'll bet real US$$$ you'll speed up.

Can't do 55 on the Beltway around DC either - when it's running right - or you'll get bulldozed. Can't do 65 on the Glenn Highway outside of Anchorage, or you'll get bulldozed.

70mph is reasonable. Speeding - technically yes. Dangerous? Nope. What's dangerous - to Corzine and everyone around him - is holding up traffic . . . now THAT'S dangerous.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

corey07850
Topic Author

Tue May 01, 2007 7:23 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 1):

I want YOU to go out on 295 at stick to 55mph . . . . after you're run into the ditch a couple dozen times and suffer uncounted gestures of "road rage", I'll bet real US$$$ you'll speed up.

Luckily I'm not the governor  Wink

The point is that he was just in a serious accident with his motorcade breaking numerous laws and traveling almost 30mph over the limit, the entire state of NJ is questioning the example he has set, and the first thing he does driving away from the hospital is busts the speed limit.... At least get far enough that there aren't any press around

tz757300

Tue May 01, 2007 7:25 am

Can't do 55 on the Beltway around DC either - when it's running right - or you'll get bulldozed. Can't do 65 on the Glenn Highway outside of Anchorage, or you'll get bulldozed.

70mph is reasonable. Speeding - technically yes. Dangerous? Nope. What's dangerous - to Corzine and everyone around him - is holding up traffic . . . now THAT'S dangerous.

And the common sense award goes to ANC. You have an excellent example. If I've ever caught myself driving the speed limit on the beltway, 295 or the DE-1 expressway, I would be road kill. Funny story, 1st time I drove on DE-1, my mom says "Drive at least 10mph faster than the limit on big roads, if you don't, you'll end up like the deer we just passed."

Now, what does that say for everyone in the country speeding? I'll leave that to another thread.

PHLBOS

Tue May 01, 2007 7:45 am

Quoting Corey07850 (Thread starter):
They kept to a pace of about 70 miles per hour, even though the posted limit is 55 on the stretch of Interstate 295 that leads to Drumthwacket, the governor’s official mansion in Princeton, where Mr. Corzine will spend the next stage of his recovery."

confused  IIRC, the only stretch of 295 that's posted 55 is the stretch from I-76/Route 42 in Bellmawr to Route 70 (or 73) in Cherry Hill; about 8 to 10 miles. The rest of 295's posted at 65.
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

USAFHummer

Tue May 01, 2007 7:52 am

The only people who drive the posted speed limit on NJ interstates are the masses of elderly retirees that live there...
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

galapagapop

Tue May 01, 2007 8:02 am

People need to understand you drive as fast as you feel safe and so do others. driving 55 can be for Drivers ed, but we know drivers don't drive that, ever and if you want to be safest, you'd better keep at or close to their speed, what's dangerous is differences in speed, not the speed itself, if the walls somehow moved 70MPH alongside traffic the danger would decrease signifigantly. From what I can tell cops usually, unless provoked won't stop you unless your over 15-20MPH on speed limit on normal roads, and 20-35MPH on highway. Unless of coarse your speeding by the other traffic which in itself is a hazard as well.

In fact I was just on the Mass Pike last week from a Sox game and was about 5 miles from the I-84 Interchange, and I was in far left lane doing about 85-90MPH (was about 11:30PM), someone pulls up behind me and starts tailgating for the next 2-3 miles, me thinking it's just someone who thinks their a better driver than me, pulled over the right lane and to my shock it was a State Trooper, didn't even glance over, and just sped on by. Surely I think I would have been well in the grounds of being pulled over (although I wouldn't wish it upon myself  Wink ), but it's all perception, what I worry about are these new systems that automatically fine anf ticket speeders using cameras and radar, it's the last thing our transportation system needs.

charlienorth

Tue May 01, 2007 8:36 am

Still my sympathy for him and other speeders who get hurt or killed is a big fat ZERO
Work hard fly right..don't understand it

ANCFlyer

Tue May 01, 2007 8:42 am

Quoting Corey07850 (Reply 2):
The point is that he was just in a serious accident with his motorcade breaking numerous laws and traveling almost 30mph over the limit,

Yup, on a two lane rural highway . . . a far stretch from I 295. . . .

Quoting Charlienorth (Reply 7):
Still my sympathy for him and other speeders who get hurt or killed is a big fat ZERO

Dude, tell me how fast yo u drive on the Tri-State? From Milwaukee to Gary it's a 55mph zone, and no one - NO one - goes 55 unless they have a death wish . . . .
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

tz757300

Tue May 01, 2007 8:53 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 8):
two lane rural highway

Eh, the AC expressway isn't really rural, but it isn't an interstate, its in between.

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 8):
From Milwaukee to Gary it's a 55mph zone, and no one - NO one - goes 55 unless they have a death wish . . . .

Some people may think with what your saying that you condone speeding and that you are a VERY BAD person to do so. Wouldn't want that to happen  Yeah sure

jetjack74

Tue May 01, 2007 8:55 am

While driving 70mph is hardly tearing down the road, he still going to be the subject of scrutiny for awhile at least. I hope he was wearing his seatbelt this time. Anywho, he's in a wheelchair, and he should remember how he got there. Buckle up Mr Governor.
Made from jets!

ANCFlyer

Tue May 01, 2007 9:00 am

Quoting TZ757300 (Reply 9):
Some people may think with what your saying that you condone speeding and that you are a VERY BAD person to do so. Wouldn't want that to happen

Please see my profil for my profession.

While I don't condone speeding, I do condone survival and I definitely do not condone putting others in danger, which is exactly what people going 55 in a traffic flow of 75 are doing.

Quoting Jetjack74 (Reply 10):
Buckle up Mr Governor.

Spot on my friend. Seatbelts always. Mr. Governor wouldn't be in the condition he's in had he been wearing a seatbelt.

greasespot

Tue May 01, 2007 9:15 am

Quoting Galapagapop (Reply 6):
From what I can tell cops usually, unless provoked won't stop you unless your over 15-20MPH on speed limit on normal roads, and 20-35MPH on highway

Actually for me it ust depends on the mood i am in whether i ( I say I losely as i am stil with my Coach trainier and only drive about half the time) stop them or not....I do not seem to have a rule.......I see someone tailgaing a bit and they are speeding i stop them.. ..Good excuse to check them out and maybe get my first real big arrest...

GS
Sometimes all you can do is look them in the eye and ask " how much did your mom drink when she was pregnant with you?"

galapagapop

Tue May 01, 2007 9:30 am

Quoting Greasespot (Reply 12):
Actually for me it ust depends on the mood i am in whether i ( I say I losely as i am stil with my Coach trainier and only drive about half the time) stop them or not....I do not seem to have a rule.......I see someone tailgaing a bit and they are speeding i stop them.. ..Good excuse to check them out and maybe get my first real big arrest...

GS

Exactly those numbers are very open to interpetation and some will ticket earlier some much later it's all up to the officer.

pilotsmoe

Tue May 01, 2007 9:37 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 11):

While I don't condone speeding, I do condone survival and I definitely do not condone putting others in danger, which is exactly what people going 55 in a traffic flow of 75 are doing.

There is actually a law in this state that says "you must drive in a way as to not impede traffic" so if a cop seen you going 55, with traffic going 70 or 80 he/she could theoretically cite you.

ltbewr

Tue May 01, 2007 9:23 pm

First note, I live in northern New Jersey and familar with roads here. Gov. Corzine's driver (probably a State Police Officer) operating a vehicle well over the speed limit shows a contempt of the laws and shows a bad example. For short distances, driving so fast will only save you a few minutes. Speeding also wastes gasoline, an important issues with gas prices approaching or over $3.00/gallon in much of the USA. Far too many people drive well over the speed limits, although the conditions, the density of traffic or they or their vehicles are not competent to do so. One thing that I fear when on the road is driving fast but without enough spacing (tailgating) between me and the next car. Also, I can't afford any speeding tickets for their fines, court fees and time lost for court appearances as well as higher insurance costs.

AsstChiefMark

Tue May 01, 2007 10:13 pm

I wonder how New Jersey still qualifies for certain Federal highway funding when their speed enforcement is so out of control.

Wisconsin was told to improve its speed enforcement or lose its federal highway funding. The state patrol immediately started cracking down and, within two years, the problem was under control. Today, you don't dare drive more than six mph over the speed limit.
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

bhmbaglock

Tue May 01, 2007 10:17 pm

I'll have to agree with you on this but he's still a tool for riding at 90 mph without a seatbelt.
Where are all of my respected members going?

Cadet985

Tue May 01, 2007 10:31 pm

I want YOU to go out on 295 at stick to 55mph . . . .

My dad must be the ONLY driver who obeys the posted speed limits....I try to convince him to go a little faster, but he doesn't listen.

Marc

ORFflyer

Tue May 01, 2007 10:33 pm

Quoting BHMBAGLOCK (Reply 17):
but he's still a tool for riding at 90 mph without a seatbelt.

checkmark 
He's a tool for going 9mph without a seatbelt.

UALPHLCS

Tue May 01, 2007 11:12 pm

That part of 295 is my home turf. I practically learned to drive on it. ANCFlyer is right. You drive with the flow of traffic, and in Jersey that flow is one of two things Fast or Stopped.

My cruise control is set at 75 or 80 on that particular stretch of 295.

This is a case of the media over reacting. They blew it before the Governors crash. The story was the excessive speed and the lack of a seatbelt. Now the media is making up for it with BS stories like this one.
A little less Hooah, and a little more Dooah.

Superfly

Tue May 01, 2007 11:19 pm

This Corzine guy reminds me of Sammy Hagar.

Bring back the Concorde

deltagator

Wed May 02, 2007 12:10 am

Quoting UALPHLCS (Reply 20):
Now the media is making up for it with BS stories like this one.

I wouldn't consider it BS since it is another "Do as I say, not as I do" bit of hypocrisy from a government official. What I would consider it is a slow news day since as of 11:08 nobody has been offended by being called "nappy headed", Anna Nicole Ritchie hasn't been brought back from the dead, and Paris Hilton/Britney Spears/Lindsey Blohan haven't woken up yet from their nights of drinking....but the day is still young.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

Confuscius

Wed May 02, 2007 12:12 am

"No one in the motorcade used emergency lights, as his driver had been doing at the time of the accident. They kept to a pace of about 70 miles per hour, even though the posted limit is 55...

His driver won't get a ticket. He has "professional privilege".  Wink
Ain't I a stinker?

BigOrange

Wed May 02, 2007 12:25 am

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 16):
I wonder how New Jersey still qualifies for certain Federal highway funding when their speed enforcement is so out of control

Probably because the statistics from municipalities in the state are thrown in with the State Police figures. Most municipalities in NJ will not think twice about pulling you for speeding , whereas the State Police give you a certain amount of leeway (usually 10-15 mph above the limit)

UALPHLCS

Wed May 02, 2007 12:42 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 22):
I wouldn't consider it BS since it is another "Do as I say, not as I do" bit of hypocrisy from a government official.

The problem as I see it now, is that since this story is out that route will now be heavily policed. Traffic that was the normal flow of 70-80 will now be ticketed. Corzine's motorcade is through, but the State Police will need to make a show for the media.

I wear my seatbelt all the time, from a trip to the store to a cross-country haul. Why should I be held to a slow speed simply because Corzine's driver screwed up?

I have no problem with speed. 90 is excessive, especially on the part of the GSP that they crashed in. But 80 on 295 is a non-issue.

The media is playing gotcha. And the State Police are going to crack down on those of us who wear our seatbelts but like to drive like we got someplace to go. The State Police ought to pull over the reporters when they speed, (and they did BTW how else did they figure out the motorcade's speed) I wonder if we'd here a news report on that?

REPORTERS WHO BROKE NJ GOV. SPEEDING FROM HOSPITAL STORY NABBED FOR SPEEDING

Will the TImes run that story?
A little less Hooah, and a little more Dooah.

PHLBOS

Wed May 02, 2007 8:08 am

Quoting Galapagapop (Reply 6):
someone pulls up behind me and starts tailgating for the next 2-3 miles, me thinking it's just someone who thinks their a better driver than me, pulled over the right lane and to my shock it was a State Trooper, didn't even glance over, and just sped on by.

What were you driving? If you were in a sports car or a flashy luxury vehicle; he probably would have pulled you over. Big grin All joking aside, if he ignored you going that fast, chances are he either had bigger fish to fry or was off duty and heading home. Some troopers can take their vehicles with them. Down the street from where my brother lives (in Sturbridge, MA) resides a State Trooper that parks his patrol car there overnight like it was his personal vehicle... even though the barracks is only about a mile away along Route 20.

Quoting TZ757300 (Reply 9):
Eh, the AC expressway isn't really rural, but it isn't an interstate, its in between.

The AC Expressway's basically a limited-access toll highway. One oddity about that road is that there's a several mile stretch where has 3 lanes in one direction (towards A.C.); 2 in the opposite direction (towards Camden & Philly). NO, it's not one of those reversible zipper lane configurations one sees on some toll bridges now.

Most people refer to the AC Expressway as the AC Speedway. Big grin No joke, mosty of it's posted at 65 mph; but most of the traffic's doing 75 and higher except on summer weekends when the road's a parking lot.

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 16):
I wonder how New Jersey still qualifies for certain Federal highway funding when their speed enforcement is so out of control.

I thought the Federal Highway withholding funds due to speeding ended when the National Speed Limit was repealed 12 years ago.  confused 

Quoting Cadet985 (Reply 18):
My dad must be the ONLY driver who obeys the posted speed limits....I try to convince him to go a little faster, but he doesn't listen.

Just as long as he stays in the far right lane. Big grin
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

tz757300

Wed May 02, 2007 8:15 am

Quoting PHLBOS (Reply 26):
not one of those reversible zipper lane configurations one sees on some toll bridges now.

Umm, can you explain this? I've never heard of such a thing.

Arrow

Wed May 02, 2007 8:29 am

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 15):
Speeding also wastes gasoline, an important issues with gas prices approaching or over $3.00/gallon in much of the USA. Far too many people drive well over the speed limits, although the conditions, the density of traffic or they or their vehicles are not competent to do so. One thing that I fear when on the road is driving fast but without enough spacing (tailgating) between me and the next car.

checkmark 

Out of all the posts on this topic, one who demonstrates common sense. It staggers me how many people are content to rip down the highway at 100 Km and up, five meters off the rear bumper of the guy in front, and continual lane changes to get a couple of car lengths ahead of the pack. What infuriates me is when I try to leave sufficient space between me and the car in front, people are continually squeezing in to take away the safety margin. Then you read about multiple-car pile-ups, and multiple deaths -- all because no one can react quickly enough at those speeds when something goes wrong. Slow it all down by 20 km, and fewer cars crash, fewer people die.

My theory? When gas hits $30 a gallon, 80 kph will look very attractive, and so will smaller cars. It can't happen soon enough.
Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

Halcyon

Wed May 02, 2007 8:35 am

While it may have been safer for him to drive that fast, it was not the posted limit and does make him look bad.

Personally, I stick to the limit around here, even though most people go 10 MPH faster. I don't want to risk a ticket as a pilot or as a teenager, and, though most people go over, the cops sometimes do pull you over for doing 7MPH over the limit. Maybe it's the MT tag in AZ, or the Riddle stickers on the back...

If the 55 is unsafe, they need to change it, because if you did get pulled over, it would then be unfair?

Go3Team

Wed May 02, 2007 10:03 am

Quoting TZ757300 (Reply 27):
Umm, can you explain this? I've never heard of such a thing.

You might be familiar with the Commodore Barry Bridge, if your profile is correct. They can adjust how many lanes in each direction according to traffic flow using a machine, and a movable wall.

NJ Police speeding caused quite a ruckus a year or two ago here in Virginia:
http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/06/681.asp

The usual charge for that kind of speed here is Reckless Endangerment.
Yay Pudding!

tz757300

Wed May 02, 2007 10:12 am

Quoting Go3Team (Reply 30):
Commodore Barry Bridge

Yeah, only 150 miles away, Big grin

Newark777

Wed May 02, 2007 10:19 am

I was going 115 mph on I-15 a few months ago at 1 AM (I wasn't driving personally  Wink), and got passed by a cop. Go figure.  Smile

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

itsjustme

Wed May 02, 2007 10:44 am

Quoting Pilotsmoe (Reply 14):
There is actually a law in this state that says "you must drive in a way as to not impede traffic" so if a cop seen you going 55, with traffic going 70 or 80 he/she could theoretically cite you.

A driver being cited for 'impeding' other traffic by adhering to the posted limit? I don't think so. I'd have a hard time explaining to a judge why I cited someone who was doing the posted limit rather than cite those who weren't.

galapagapop

Wed May 02, 2007 10:54 am

Quoting PHLBOS (Reply 26):
What were you driving? If you were in a sports car or a flashy luxury vehicle; he probably would have pulled you over. Big grin All joking aside, if he ignored you going that fast, chances are he either had bigger fish to fry or was off duty and heading home. Some troopers can take their vehicles with them. Down the street from where my brother lives (in Sturbridge, MA) resides a State Trooper that parks his patrol car there overnight like it was his personal vehicle... even though the barracks is only about a mile away along Route 20.

Was borrowing my father's Escalade actually, the cab ain't great when it comes to running at night, but I think he was headed to his personal car, it was that stretch between I-495 and I-84 and there is a station on the Eastbound side, so I assumed he was heading back for the night, although I was probably 1 of 5 cars doing 20 over easy, so it was really up to him  Wink.

tz757300

Wed May 02, 2007 11:01 am

Quoting Itsjustme (Reply 33):
I'd have a hard time explaining to a judge why I cited someone who was doing the posted limit rather than cite those who weren't.

Because the someone was driving the speed limit when everyone was going at least 10mph faster and you were creating a situation where they were going slower and creating dangerous situation. It all in protecting the majority.

itsjustme

Wed May 02, 2007 11:40 am

Quoting TZ757300 (Reply 35):
Because the someone was driving the speed limit when everyone was going at least 10mph faster and you were creating a situation where they were going slower and creating dangerous situation. It all in protecting the majority.

No, not so much. When a law is in place, in this case one that governs the lawful speed on a given highway, "majority rule" doesn't take precedence. Hence the excuse I've heard more than a few times, "I was going with the flow of traffic, Officer" usually falls on deaf ears.
Using your "majority rules" line of reasoning, that would mean if I see a group of people looting a store and one guy not looting the store, I should arrest the guy who isn't for.......loitering?

STT757

Wed May 02, 2007 11:41 am

The issue was never speed, if the accident happened at 60MPH vs the 91MPH they were going the result for Corzine would have been the same. The seat belt allowed the two other occupants of the vehicle (State Trooper driving and Corzine's young female assistant) to walk away, if the accident happened while they were driving 60 and Corzine was still not wearing his seat belt he still would have been seriously injured and almost killed.

The speeding is second to the wearing of the seat belt.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

Newark777

Wed May 02, 2007 11:50 am

Quoting Itsjustme (Reply 36):
Using your "majority rules" line of reasoning, that would mean if I see a group of people looting a store and one guy not looting the store, I should arrest the guy who isn't for.......loitering?

I'm never an advocate for excessive speeding or careless driving, but relating looting to going a few MPH above the limit is one of the most ridiculous things I have read in a while.  rotfl 

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

tz757300

Wed May 02, 2007 12:11 pm

Quoting Itsjustme (Reply 36):

Umm, ridiculous.

The guy not looting the store can not be compared to being slow on the road way...I can't even explain how you can connect that.

All I'm saying is that if everyone is flowing with the traffic over the speed limit and you place a barrier (slow car) on the road, something is bound to happen.